PDA

View Full Version : Talks resume -- not that they matter to Ike

SteelProven
08-14-2006, 09:46 PM
http://steelers.scout.com/2/556921.html

quote of the year:

?I don?t care who you are, or how good you are, you?re not going to bust the Steelers,? he said. ?You might be the best player with the best agent, but if the Steelers think you?re worth a certain number, they?re not going to budge. I respect that. I respect them. That?s why I want to stay here.?

Does Taylor?s agent know this?

?I told him that the first day,? Taylor said. ?He knows.?

mattss
08-14-2006, 10:14 PM
what a stud..also, good to see a young player step up to his agent to let him know that he works for Ike...lets see how this works out now..

83-Steelers-43
08-14-2006, 10:18 PM
As with every athlete, talk is cheap.

I'm going to wait and see how talks between Ike's agent and the Steelers FO pan out over the next year.....

Haiku_Dirtt
08-14-2006, 10:24 PM

I'm going to wait and see how talks between Ike's agent and the Steelers FO pan out over the next year.....

Right. 'Nuff said already.

tony hipchest
08-14-2006, 10:37 PM
talk is chaep but this quote is priceless (we shall see. if this comes to pass, i just hope ben and troy approach negotiations with the same attitude.):

“I told him that the first day,” Taylor said. “He knows.”

But Smith plows on. He has until Sept. 7 to negotiate for as much as he can. Once the regular season begins the negotiations will break off and both sides will wait until February to resume talks. By then, the rest of the league will know more about Taylor, the terrific one-year starter. But Taylor said it doesn’t matter what the rest of the league learns this season.

“I’ll be here,” he said Monday. “I will be here. I will be here. I’ll put a stamp on it: I’ll be here. We’ll definitely get something worked out.”

Prosdo
08-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Hopefully Ike and the FO will get a contract worked out. I would love to see him stay in the Burgh.

WWIIOwheelz
08-14-2006, 10:49 PM
“I told him that the first day,” Taylor said. “He knows.”

Ike just impressed me off-the-field.

SteelShooter
08-15-2006, 12:55 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................................... ..............

Livinginthe past
08-15-2006, 01:04 AM
None of that quote from Ike actually makes any sense in terms of him staying.

“I don’t care who you are, or how good you are, you’re not going to bust the Steelers,” he said. “You might be the best player with the best agent, but if the Steelers think you’re worth a certain number, they’re not going to budge. I respect that. I respect them. That’s why I want to stay here.”

So he is saying that he knows that the Steelers wont budge on a valuation, yet he hasn't signed a large extension?

Sounds more like he is saying 'goodbye' but doing it nicely.

NM

Ambridge
08-15-2006, 05:54 AM
Ike wants to stay in Pittsburgh............Ike wants an 8 figure signing bonus.

That equation does not compute.

83-Steelers-43
08-15-2006, 07:13 AM
Ike wants to stay in Pittsburgh............Ike wants an 8 figure signing bonus.

That equation does not compute.

I agree. The nice and warm comments coming from Taylor are great, but Ike has the option of walking up to his agent and stating "Let's get this done and out of the way with. The FO feels that I need to prove myself for another season before getting that big contract.". That's if in fact he really wants to stay in Pittsburgh and back up what he stated in the above article.

I understand it's a business, but I would rather Ike stay mute instead of reading his comments pertaining to how much he loves Pittsburgh and how he wants to stay with this team, but yet a number has not been agreed upon. Once again, talk is cheap.

Midnightwriter07
08-15-2006, 09:09 AM
I think it just shows that taylor isnt the type to slam his team / FO in the papers or media and is saying the right things.. but obviously yes, HIM AND HIS AGENT want a certain amount of money that they fee he is do, so this whole .. I wanna stay in Pittsburgh crap doesnt really mean much to me. Alot of players want to stay in Pittsburgh, we have one of the best organizations in all of Pro Sports, we are normally in the playoffs with at least a chance to go to a SuperBowl in most years and we have tons of young talent to make this team a very very good team for another decade at least.

But when is said and done, most leave cause someone else offers em more money. Alot depends on Colclough i think.. if the Steelers feel he will come around this year.. then we already have Townsend and McFadden and Colclogh to fight for those spots and we have no pressing needs ( from the looks of it ) in the upcoming drafts for the next few years so we could take a couple of corners with our first picks if needed.

I am not sure what to think of Ike just yet, other than i dont think he is one of the best corners in the league at this point and i sincerly think he has a few years before he will be ( if ever ) held in that regard. The way Fitsgerald made him look silly sure doesnt bode well for him at this point.

Pier2.0T
08-15-2006, 09:31 AM
True. Taylor's bargaining position is diluted by McFadden and Colclough presence.

HometownGal
08-15-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm really hoping that Ike and the Steelers FO can work something out, but if they don't, they just don't. Ike has played, and has the future opportunity to play, for an organization that has been and still is held in the highest regard by the majority of the NFL - an organization that treats its players like family instead of just another employee. He has the opportunity to grow with this team chock full of talent and with some hard work and continued solid play, he can make a diffference, but when all is said and done - it's all up to Ike. He's a very good young corner, absolutely - but I think the Steelers' position here is wanting to see if he can keep up his pace from last season or if he is a one-year wonder before upping the anty. From a business standpoint, that makes perfect sense to me.

LambertLunatic
08-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Kimo. ARE. Hope. Didn't they say similar things last year? In the 10 years since free agency started, how many Steeler players said warm and fuzzy things about staying, only to sign with another team? Sorry, but I'm not getting my hopes up just because Ike says he wants to stay.

Ike wants a huge signing bonus. He won't get it here, since we have too many big contracts coming up. I'm not trying to be all gloom and doom, just being realistic. This is why the Steelers are perennial contenders....they use common sense when dealing with player salaries.

Midnightwriter07
08-15-2006, 02:43 PM
yeah, i think Plax even said it ... before he got sent packing and then badmouthed us. I think is just one of those things players say that the agents tell em to so that is all good publicity.

Sharkissle29
08-15-2006, 02:57 PM
I <3 Ike

83-Steelers-43
08-15-2006, 03:15 PM
http://www.beyondbooks.com/ush12/images/00012268.jpg

But at what price? Do we take the gamble of paying him big after one good season (even though I don't see it happening) and having him not perform on the same level as he did last season? Then we are screwed. Kordell Stewart anybody?

Or do we stand our ground, put the offer out there and if he bites he bites; If he doesn't, he walks.

I tend to be on the cautious side when it comes to matters such as these. It's a very tough decision eitherway after watching him play last season but I'm not sure it's worth the gamble of handing out a huge contract over one good season of football.

Once again, Ben, Troy, Starks, Parker with hands open now and in the near future.

Stlrs4Life
08-15-2006, 08:27 PM

Exactly. Glad he is saying the right things though.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-15-2006, 08:29 PM
I hope he holds true to what he says....I would love to see us get IKE a little cheap

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2006, 09:29 PM
It is all about the Benjamins; ignore the "I want to stay" talk.

We talk a lot about players not giving a home team discount to play for the Steelers, but loyalty is not going to get you special bonus points with the Steelers.

Carnell Lake played out of position at CB after Woodson tore up his knee in 1995 and again in 1997 after the Steelers made one of their worst FA signings ever with whomever they signed to replace Woodson at CB(Woolfolk?) and benched by midseason. After those sacrifices Cowher said Lake would always be a Steeler, but Lake was gone after 1998 when the Steelers would not come close to what Jax offered.

The Steelers should not overpay but players including Taylor know it is a business and need to take care of themselves. Ike's gamble is that after 1year as a starter either he will develop into a higher priced player this year or teams now will start to pick on shortcomings that the Seahawks appeared to exploit and his value will go down.

My point is that after this season someone's negotiating position will be better, with Taylor and the Steelers being as close to a deal now as they ever will be. It appears Taylor's price is beyond what the Steelers will budget for DBs with Troy's new contract looming.

Could be Coclough and McFadden at CB in 2007.

tony hipchest
08-15-2006, 09:49 PM
It is all about the Benjamins; ignore the "I want to stay" talk.

We talk a lot about players not giving a home team discount to play for the Steelers, but loyalty is not going to get you special bonus points with the Steelers.

Carnell Lake played out of position at CB after Woodson tore up his knee in 1995 and again in 1997 after the Steelers made one of their worst FA signings ever with whomever they signed to replace Woodson at CB(Woolfolk?) and benched by midseason. After those sacrifices Cowher said Lake would always be a Steeler, but Lake was gone after 1998 when the Steelers would not come close to what Jax offered.

The Steelers should not overpay but players including Taylor know it is a business and need to take care of themselves. Ike's gamble is that after 1year as a starter either he will develop into a higher priced player this year or teams now will start to pick on shortcomings that the Seahawks appeared to exploit and his value will go down.

My point is that after this season someone's negotiating position will be better, with Taylor and the Steelers being as close to a deal now as they ever will be. It appears Taylor's price is beyond what the Steelers will budget for DBs with Troy's new contract looming.

Could be Coclough and McFadden at CB in 2007.great points on lake but what did he ever do in jacksonville? he was at the end of his career. ike is at the beginning. sure the steelers missed out on plenty of good years out of woodson by letting him go but i think ike at this point of his career shows more upside than rod did when he walked.

word is colclough is having a really good camp. im sure ikes agent is meant to hear that word. if mcfadden proves to be what we want him to be we are in the exact same boat in 2-3 years. ben and troy will be signed and we will still be wondering which cb we will draft and develop with a 1st or 2nd round pick. the steelers cant hope to hit on them all, year after year.

Midnightwriter07
08-15-2006, 10:28 PM
True Tony they cant count on a hit every year... that is why they have to be smart about it and maybe overpaying for Taylor ( especially the price he is requesting) may not be very smart.. is amazing to me the conflict people throw out over $500 000 we save over keeping a younger cheaper punter over a vet ... but to pay Taylor 10 plus million signing bonus with a large base salary as well just doesnt make sense. I think that we forget the system the Steelers use makes our corners better...especially when we have our Blitzburgh mindset going and the QB makes mistakes rather than the D Back just making awesome plays. As i have said, I like Taylor, yes he does have potential.. but to pay him that kind of money on potential alone usually doesnt pan out in the NFL. Teams that do that are usually on some sportwriters list of "the worst moves" and a move like that often ends up in dead weight or baggage years down the road. I wouldnt sign him either if i was F/O at this point and wait and take a look at end of season cause what he is asking already is the most he will get even IF he had a standout year and was a PRO BOWL player and considered one of the best.

MattsMe
08-15-2006, 10:38 PM
No matter how well he does this year, he's right, the Steelers won't break the bank on him. But I'm sure they will up the current offer if he has a great year. He knows this, so maybe that's why he hasn't accepted an offer yet. I agree with everyone that talk is cheap, but this could be why he's waiting. He wants to stay, but at the same time want as much as they'll give him. And that amount will be higher if he has a standout year.

tony hipchest
08-15-2006, 10:52 PM
True Tony they cant count on a hit every year... that is why they have to be smart about it and maybe overpaying for Taylor ( especially the price he is requesting) may not be very smart.. is amazing to me the conflict people throw out over $500 000 we save over keeping a younger cheaper punter over a vet ... but to pay Taylor 10 plus million signing bonus with a large base salary as well just doesnt make sense. I think that we forget the system the Steelers use makes our corners better...especially when we have our Blitzburgh mindset going and the QB makes mistakes rather than the D Back just making awesome plays. As i have said, I like Taylor, yes he does have potential.. but to pay him that kind of money on potential alone usually doesnt pan out in the NFL. Teams that do that are usually on some sportwriters list of "the worst moves" and a move like that often ends up in dead weight or baggage years down the road. I wouldnt sign him either if i was F/O at this point and wait and take a look at end of season cause what he is asking already is the most he will get even IF he had a standout year and was a PRO BOWL player and considered one of the best.

the steelers are in a predicament. the 10 mil signing bonus dont sound like so much when you consider what bonuses players will be getting in 6 years. granted i understand that is probably too much to pay now and the steelers wont do it for principal alone, but we must keep an eye toward the future, retaining good players before they become too expensive. resigning ben and troy at this point would save more money in the long run, if we do it now rather than wait till the future.

if ikes signing bonus is a hang up now we might as well kiss ben and troy goodbye cause the steelers simply dont keep the highest paid position players around. how are we gonna keep (and pay) ben top dollar if hes not putting up numbers like peyton or palmer, or winning as many champs as brady,not to mention players like vick, who is currently the highest paid player in the league. polamalu is gonna command about $6 -7 mil/ year when his time is up. will the steelers ante up? past history says no

our current coach's market value is to be the highest paid coach in the league. we see where that has gone. parker and our linemen need to be paid. faneca will need some more $$$ soon.

not only does this spell bad for taylor, it spells bad for just about every contributing veteran on the team. the steelers either buck their trend and start locking up good players before they are in their final years of their contracts or they resign them a bit early for the long term (which means gamble a bit), or they continue groming great young players for other teams to sign on a big contract.

if you make a mistake on a rod woodson you cant get him back (not saying the steelers didnt make him a fair offer). if you make a mistake on an ike taylor you can always cut or trade him. the steelers waiting and hoping that the price of cb's to drop is kind of like waiting for the price of oil to drop before you invest in exxon.

mu point is.... ikee is just asking for current market value. if the steelers cant give that to an average cb then they definitely wont give that to the best safety in the league nor a top 5 qb. (if you take into account bens 1st 2 year an agent could even argue the best qb)

keeping ben and troy could eventually mean players like farrior, faneca, and porter being cut. again.... a delimma.

MattsMe
08-16-2006, 01:05 AM
Sombody send this to Ike.

http://steelersfever.com/editorials/0635.html

Atlanta Dan
08-16-2006, 04:13 PM
great points on lake but what did he ever do in jacksonville? he was at the end of his career. ike is at the beginning. sure the steelers missed out on plenty of good years out of woodson by letting him go but i think ike at this point of his career shows more upside than rod did when he walked.

word is colclough is having a really good camp. im sure ikes agent is meant to hear that word. if mcfadden proves to be what we want him to be we are in the exact same boat in 2-3 years. ben and troy will be signed and we will still be wondering which cb we will draft and develop with a 1st or 2nd round pick. the steelers cant hope to hit on them all, year after year.

Good observation on Lake being at the end of the line when the Steelers let him go (other than Leon Searcy and Chad Brown most departing Steeler FAs have not done much after they leave). Although I did not make it clear, my point was loyalty is no factor when it comes to signing FAs - Lake got his Steelers' FA offer based on anticipated future performance and not as a life achievemnt award - it is strictly business.

On that point, Woodson had many good years left as a safety after he left Pittsburgh but my understanding is he went to the 49ers in 1997 for less $$ than the Steelers were willing to pay because he wanted to stay at CB and Cowher wanted to move him to safety. Rod thought it was in his interest to walk and he did so, but I think the Steelers are clean as to who made the decision to part company there.

Midnightwriter07
08-16-2006, 04:29 PM
wasnt that when Woodson was coming off his injury ?

Atlanta Dan
08-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Woodson blew out his knee in the opener against the Lions in 1995, came back and played in SB XXX against Dallas that same year (Lake later said that was an ego trip and actually was a distraction to a defense that had adjusted fairly well after Lake moved to CB), and then played the full 1996 season at CB, although not at his pre-injury All-Pro level.

After 1996 he went to the 49ers.

Midnightwriter07
08-17-2006, 05:57 AM
OK i thought that with Woodson his injury has slowed him some and we wanted to move him to one of the safety positions due to that and he wasnt happy about it and left.