PDA

View Full Version : Heath Miller tore his ACL, MCL, and possibly his PCL (the worst). 9-12 month recovery

Terminator
12-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Steelers Heath Miller tears ACL, MCL despite initial prognosis
By Neal Coolong on Dec 25, 6:43a

Miller, likely the team's MVP in the 2012 season, will now likely begin the 2013 season on the PUP list.

The Steelers initially diagnosed the injury to tight end Heath Miller as a knee sprain following Pittsburgh's Week 16 loss to Cincinnati.

It's far worse than that.

Miller tore his ACL and MCL, and could have damage to his PCL as well. Tearing all three ligaments typically carries with it a recovery time of nine months to a year.

The Steelers kick off training camp almost exactly seven months from now, and begin the 2013 season almost nine months from now.

They have plenty of experience with preparing starters suffering major knee injuries at the end of the season. Running back Rashard Mendenhall tore his ACL on Jan. 1 last season, and nose tackle Casey Hampton and Max Starks tore ACLs one week after that. Hampton and Starks started in the Steelers' first game this season - a loss at Denver - while Mendenhall didn't play until Week 5.

In a season where injuries defined much of a disappointing campaign, it appears as if the Steelers will enter the 2013 season in a similar spot to where they started. This time, it came to one of its most important players, topping off a difficult loss and setting the stage for what could be a transforming offseason.

The Steelers' will now have to consider whether rookie David Paulson showed enough this year (having played in all 16 games) to compete for a starting position while Miller recovers. Certainly, there's no guarantee Miller will be out to start the year, although it's strongly suggested that will be the case.

It's basically the same story written almost a year to the date about Mendenhall, and the offseason will be spent wondering how the Steelers will approach Miller's injury, both in the draft and free agency.

A perfect kick to the stomach after an already painful year.

Merry Christmas!

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/12/25/3802532/steelers-heath-miller-knee-injury-torn-acl-out-nine-months-recovery-2013-season

Note: A PCL tear is the worst ligament you can tear in your knee, and there is NOT advanced surgery to repair them like there is for your ACL.

Rowland2110
12-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Horrible news.

StainlessStill
12-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Disastrous.

AgentGold007
12-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Every single key player on the team has gotten injured this season and missed games. I don't recall this ever happening to one team in one season ever. Get well soon Heath. Can't wait to get this disastrous season over.

harrison'samonster
12-26-2012, 10:22 AM
frightful. Miller is a true football player. Wish there were more like him.

VaDave
12-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Get well Heath. We need you.

FrancoLambert
12-26-2012, 10:56 AM
:crying01: :mad: :pissed:

stb_steeler
12-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Dont worry Heath will be ready by next season...

harrison'samonster
12-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Dont worry Heath will be ready by next season...

I don't know anything about his injury, but I hope you're right. He's got to be one of the hardest workers, hope he's got what it takes to come back safely.

nj1923steelgirl
12-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Noooooo! Get Well Soon Heath...We need you in 2013!!!!

Stlrs4Life
12-26-2012, 12:39 PM
SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Men of Steel
12-26-2012, 12:45 PM
this truly sucks! heath is a true football player and is one of the last classy players left on our team. dont know what he did to deserve this. its horrible. i hope he recovers fully and comes back better, faster, stronger, like Adrian Peterson!

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Surgery, rehab and maybe ready by week 2 of the season. Sorry to hear, but the guy is tougher than a $2 steak and will be back.

ZoneBlitzer
12-26-2012, 01:59 PM
I hope this doesn't derail his career. Are there any other examples of other players who suffered this injury and recovered successfully? It sounds horrible.

FrancoLambert
12-26-2012, 04:01 PM
The timing of this injury (not that there's ever a good time) considering his age (football-wise) concerns me big time. Get well Heeeeth, we need you.

Blacksburg Zach
12-26-2012, 04:09 PM
This sucks. I wish him a speedy recovery over the offseason. He has been a class act and a true football player throughout his career.

austinfrench76
12-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Damn it! We need to start looking for another TE to pair with Heath. Maybe it's just time to look around??

OX1947
12-26-2012, 05:50 PM
How the hell did this happen?!!! He just got rolled on.

NSMaster56
12-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Noting of note to add.

This just sucks.

Miller is the epitome of Pittsburgh Steelers football and if the team had more players like him it's hard to imagine them losing a game.

Hurry back Heath.

Millers the sh!t
12-26-2012, 09:43 PM
I'm fucking saddened. This is how one of the most dedicated Steelers on the roster ends his most productive seasons.....? Fucking Bullshit, The man deserves better...

LVSteelersfan
12-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Heal well Heath. I hope you will come back strong next year. Another case where someone hits low because they can't hit em high any more. I am sure Bungles fans are happy because it is payback for what happened to Palmer years ago.

Terminator
12-27-2012, 07:04 AM
Some good news: Heath's PCL was not torn and will heal on it's own without surgery. The MCL and ACL will be reparied today with special surgery. Expect to see Heath next season. Question is, how good will he be? He will not practice this summer and will not play in pre-season.

Steel Peon
12-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Some good news: Heath's PCL was not torn and will heal on it's own without surgery.

Any good news helps at this point, but being without one of your top 5 players really hurts. And now that I think about it, our entire top 10 is hurt, or playing hurt. Best of recovery to ya Heath.....you're one of the best.

steelfury02
12-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Jumpin JC - this team can't go 1 season, half season, quarter season, without every single starter going down. Team MVP all year long, the only bright spot on a crappy season and we just can't simply end this season and put our weekly misery to bed - we needed more lemon juice on the paper cut. This season is harder to take than Cowher's last year, and probably the worst one I've experienced since 2003 (6-10)