PDA

View Full Version : If Not Tomlin then who?

Steelers5895
12-26-2012, 11:20 AM
I am amazed at the "fire Tomlin" posts. That is not the Steeler way.

So, what I ask to those haters is who is your replacement and why do you think that coach will out perform Tomlin who has won a Super Bowl and been to another in 6 seasons?

can't wait to hear who you come up with.

zshelhamer
12-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Bruce Arians for head coach. Just look what he did for the Colts. Imagine what he could do for our offense!

desertsteel
12-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Bruce Arians for head coach. Just look what he did for the Colts. Imagine what he could do for our offense!
Yes! And everyone around here already loves Arians!

If not him, we could go for Ryan, Turner or Garrett...

Steelers5895
12-26-2012, 11:46 AM

unlikely he would ever consider coming back. unlikely the colts would let him go. and, if he is offered a head coaching job it will be from a team I am sure will pay him more.

not happening.

ETL
12-26-2012, 12:30 PM
I, for one, am a STRONG supporter of Tomlin.

I think he has the combination of intelligence, energy and risk taking that I like in a head coach. He is young as well and will gather experience that will serve him in future years.

I am sure he is more disappointed than any of us can imagine. For now, he is the one I want for head coach.

If you want your football team to change head coaches with a recent bad season - you are rooting for the wrong team as a Steeler fan and so be ready for years and years of disappointment. I would suggest you go root for the Redskins or Cowboys.

harrison'samonster
12-26-2012, 12:33 PM

I think he has the combination of intelligence, energy and risk taking that I like in a head coach. He is young as well and will gather experience that will serve him in future years.

I am sure he is more disappointed than any of us can imagine. For now, he is the one I want for head coach.

I absolutely agree. Tomlin didn't come in here with any head coaching experience, neither did Cowher. I think he'll learn with every mistake. This is the kind of season that he needed in order to make himself better. Next season will be a big test for him.

Atlanta Dan
12-26-2012, 12:47 PM
I absolutely agree. Tomlin didn't come in here with any head coaching experience, neither did Cowher. I think he'll learn with every mistake. This is the kind of season that he needed in order to make himself better. Next season will be a big test for him.

Like a lot of players Tomlin had a bad year - hopefully he will build on it

He bounced back from the collapse in 2009 (starting with handling the Ben suspension to start the 2010 season) and hopefully will do so again

But without a lot of veteran leadership and upcoming departures he will be facing the most significant challenges of his career

Atlanta Dan
12-26-2012, 12:48 PM
unlikely he would ever consider coming back. unlikely the colts would let him go. and, if he is offered a head coaching job it will be from a team I am sure will pay him more.

not happening.

No kidding :drink:

madtowndrunkard
12-26-2012, 01:11 PM
I am amazed at the "fire Tomlin" posts. That is not the Steeler way.

So, what I ask to those haters is who is your replacement and why do you think that coach will out perform Tomlin who has won a Super Bowl and been to another in 6 seasons?

can't wait to hear who you come up with.

Here's the list of candidates I'd talk to:

Bill Cowher
Ken Whizenhunt
Dick Lebeau
Vic Fangio
Tom Clements
Keith Butler

I think every single one of these guys is more qualified to be a HC then Mike Tomlin... obviously the Rooney's don't look for experience..they look for personality. So not sure who else out there has that edge the Rooney's like..but I have to think there are plenty of candidates out there. That said, I wouldn't fire Tomlin this off season if I were the GM. I'd have a serious sit down with MIke... I'd make sure he realizes he needs to step it up...and I'd make sure he knows next year is do or die.

SteelKid212
12-26-2012, 01:30 PM
sometimes players have a bad performance, and bounce back on the next one.

sometimes teams have a bad game, and bounce back the next one.

sometimes coaches AND players have a bad year, and the steelers always bounce back!

next year after tomlin takes this team on a deep playoff run, i doubt well be having these converstaions!

43Hitman
12-26-2012, 01:41 PM

Bill Cowher
Ken Whizenhunt
Dick Lebeau
Vic Fangio
Tom Clements
Keith Butler

I think every single one of these guys is more qualified to be a HC then Mike Tomlin... obviously the Rooney's don't look for experience..they look for personality. So not sure who else out there has that edge the Rooney's like..but I have to think there are plenty of candidates out there. That said, I wouldn't fire Tomlin this off season if I were the GM. I'd have a serious sit down with MIke... I'd make sure he realizes he needs to step it up...and I'd make sure he knows next year is do or die.

How would any of those guy out perform Tomlin? You might as well take Cowher and Wiz off of that list because neither one of those guys are realistic choices to come here.

hwalker84
12-26-2012, 01:54 PM

If you want your football team to change head coaches with a recent bad season - you are rooting for the wrong team as a Steeler fan and so be ready for years and years of disappointment. I would suggest you go root for the Redskins or Cowboys.

I couldn't agree more. 12-4 season to a 7-9 or 8-8 season. GET THE MAN OUT!! Absurd.

madtowndrunkard
How would any of those guy out perform Tomlin? You might as well take Cowher and Wiz off of that list because neither one of those guys are realistic choices to come here.

Why wouldn't they out perform the Tomlin lead steelers?

IMO they have the skills to improve on the things that need improving...Leadership being number 1. I think these guys would truly have accountability and I think these guys would bring what's been lacking... consistency and precision.

Our team has lacked focus... they are not detail orientated at all... I think these guys would be. We are mistake prone and not efficient. I think these candidates would be guys that will prepare the players to win. I also think these guys would not cost us games due to ill advised decisions. They all have skills.. What is Mike Tomlin's expertise? Leadership? Offense? Defense? X's and O's ? Can anyone answer that about our HC?

IMO we are a playoff caliber team that is playing beneath our ability...as a team. Defensively we are fine... offensive efficiency, ST's, and game decisions have been poor...and that's been the issue for some time now. Sure Cowher's teams were never offensive juggernauts... but they were efficient... they didn't make crucial mistakes once we got a good QB....and you had faith come game time the coach wasn't going to do something stupid on a regular basis.

SteelCityMom

Bill Cowher
Ken Whizenhunt
Dick Lebeau
Vic Fangio
Tom Clements
Keith Butler

-Doubt Cowher wants to come back. He's had a lot of offers and seems to have declined them all. Plus, he sort of left on a bad note with the Rooneys.

-Whiz, not impressed. Good OC, not great HC.

-Lebeau has been a head coach before, and sucked at it. Plus, he's too old to take on any kind of permanent position like that. If he's DC next year, I guarantee it'll be his last.

The other 3 (aside from Butler) I don't know much about. Butler would probably be my pick out of any of the ones you mentioned.

I myself would stick with Tomlin though. And I agree that maybe he needs to step it up. I trust the Rooney's decision in this regard though.

43Hitman
12-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Why wouldn't they out perform the Tomlin lead steelers?

IMO they have the skills to improve on the things that need improving...Leadership being number 1. I think these guys would truly have accountability and I think these guys would bring what's been lacking... consistency and precision.

Our team has lacked focus... they are not detail orientated at all... I think these guys would be. We are mistake prone and not efficient. I think these candidates would be guys that will prepare the players to win. I also think these guys would not cost us games due to ill advised decisions. They all have skills.. What is Mike Tomlin's expertise? Leadership? Offense? Defense? X's and O's ? Can anyone answer that about our HC?

IMO we are a playoff caliber team that is playing beneath our ability...as a team. Defensively we are fine... offensive efficiency, ST's, and game decisions have been poor...and that's been the issue for some time now. Sure Cowher's teams were never offensive juggernauts... but they were efficient... they didn't make crucial mistakes once we got a good QB....and you had faith come game time the coach wasn't going to do something stupid on a regular basis.

Tomlins expertise is defense, specifically defensive backs. I'm just not sure that firing a coach that has had back to back 12-4 seasons and has been to the SB twice and winning one is an entirely bright move.

How much of the onus is on Tomlin for poor execution? These are highly paid professional players and in my opinion its up to them to have themselves ready both physically and mentally on game day. Now I will concede that Tomlin has made some real bone headed mistakes during some games, but not the tune of being fired. At least not in my opinion anyways.

I am however concerned about this teams overall health the last few years, a lot of soft tissue injuries, which seem to point to overall conditioning. So maybe there is something there to be fixed. Hopefully Tomlin will address our training staff this off-season.

Ricco Suavez
12-26-2012, 02:19 PM
What I do not understand from some of the posters is this, You are not happy with the way the season turned out or how last year turned out either. Good ,neither am I. I bet Tomlin is not happy, or Ben, or Rooney, or anybody else that are part of the Steelers or a fan. But here is the skinny, Do you honestly believe that wholesale changes such as firing your head coach is going to fix it, and if so how long before we see it? Are you the same people who called for Arians and now your pissed because we were just as anemic on offense. The run game didn't go the way you thought? I read Whizzes name and Ryan, and have heard Andy Reid, sorry but are not all of them on the chopping block after sterling seasons?

You want to replace Ben, OK, With who? I mean the Steelers have a track record of quality QBs in the last 25 years before Ben. Lets get rid of Wallace I am sure that is no problem to replace, just watch how quick he is picked up, (much like Arians), lets Dump Mendenhall too, I mean we got a stable full of quality RBs that showed so much promise this year. I have some earth shattering news for everyone, What if?, we are not as talented as some fans think. What if our WRs while pretty good is NOT a top 5, or even top 10 receiving corp. They are undersized, alot of drops, some have been know to run wrong routes occasionally. And what about those RBs, rarely see any runs to the outside, and few runs that net significant yards up the gut. How bout the OL they have trouble opening holes for those RBs and while better at pass protection they sometimes just seem to 'OLE those edge rushers.

And Ben all I can say is he is not Peyton or Brady,(but who is) Rodgers, Brees, Eli, Luck all locked up, so no trading him there, how bout we trade Ben and Tomlin to the Jets for Sanchez and Ryan? The only man on the entire offense who played up to his potential for the season is Heath MiIler, trouble is it took a new offense to showcase him, I thought he was one of the best before Haley came along. Truth be know we have some talent on offense but not so much as to think we can score 30+ points a game. I myself would settle for 21-25 pts a game, play good defense, and quit turning the ball over. I do not give a ratsazz if we do it running or passing, or even if the defense wants to contribute a score every now and then ( our number one defense has scored 1 td each of the last two years, Tampa Bay last in pass defense has score 3 this year). So I will continue to read all the posts of getting rid of this and that but until someone comes up with some suitable replacements then I suggest you get used to a lot of the same group next year.

Blacksburg Zach
12-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Honestly, why does a new fire Tomlin thread have to show up after every loss? What does the man have to do? With him at the helm, the franchise has been to two super bowls and one victory, four playoff berths, three division titles, and three 12-4 seasons. Why even bother talking about head coaching candidates? Sorry, Tomlin haters, he's not going anywhere. And let's say the Steelers actually did fire Tomlin, I guarantee many teams in the league would fire their head coaches right then and there just to hire Tomlin. It's been a down year, but the Steelers will rebound, just as they rebounded from their previous down season.

Ricco Suavez
12-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Honestly, why does a new fire Tomlin thread have to show up after every loss? What does the man have to do? With him at the helm, the franchise has been to two super bowls and one victory, four playoff berths, three division titles, and three 12-4 seasons. Why even bother talking about head coaching candidates? Sorry, Tomlin haters, he's not going anywhere. And let's say the Steelers actually did fire Tomlin, I guarantee many teams in the league would fire their head coaches right then and there just to hire Tomlin. It's been a down year, but the Steelers will rebound, just as they rebounded from their previous down season.

You are new to the board and I know you don't know this but you might as well hear it from me. All of Tomlins success is due to Cowher's players. Sorry you did not know this but its better I break it to you then some of the Haters who will shout it from the roof tops.:rofl:

OX1947
12-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Player talent isn't the issue with Tomlin, OC isn't the issue with Tomlin, injuries isn't the issue either. Management at the end of games has been his major issue with shitty game planning. He was bailed out of a lot of big games by Big Ben and now that Ben hasn't been clutch lately, it has produced losses in bunches. Tomlin has the sack to go for it when you need to, I'll give him that, but he isn't very good at game planning. Every game is the same, keep it close, wait until the end and then we lose in the last 2 min or we win. To me, that is a sign of someone who cant game plan before and take advantage of the other teams weaknesses. A team that continues to lose to shitty teams shows me that the coach isn't getting his team prepped enough.

I do not dislike Tomlin, but, he doesn't do anything for me to be honest. He is a system coach. Is there someone better out there? Probably not. Anyone worth anything for me isn't gonna be available.

VictoryFormation
12-26-2012, 05:26 PM
If the Steelers were looking for a new head coach, they would avoid bringing in any big-name coaches, with previous experience, like a Jon Gruden, for example. Those type of coaches want control of the team, but the Rooneys don't want to give it up. Since the end of the Chuck Knoll era, the Steelers have had a hierarchy in place, with the Rooneys having final say as to who comes, and who goes. That includes assistant coaches, and players. When the Rooneys bring in a new head coach, they want someone, who is willing to work under the general manager, and the owners. That usually means a young, up-and-coming coach, who just wants the opportunity to become a head coach, and is not necessarily concerned about having full authority.

rpbncb
12-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Tomlin sucks !!! he wasn't even qualified to be a head coach, let alone HC of the Steelers. He was hired because of the so called Rooney Rule so as to set an example for the rest of the NFL. Needless to say, the results are in and he has failed miserably. The Rooney's won't fire him cause that would be admitting their mistake. I have been a die hard steelers fan for 40 plus years and 2012 was the most pathetic display of steelers football that i have seen. And yes, Dumb-Lin is responsible for getting his players in shape mentally as well as physically. Coaching under Dumb-Lin has and will continue to be a joke unless someone takes charge over there !!!

steelfury02
12-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Tomlin sucks !!! he wasn't even qualified to be a head coach, let alone HC of the Steelers. He was hired because of the so called Rooney Rule so as to set an example for the rest of the NFL. Needless to say, the results are in and he has failed miserably. The Rooney's won't fire him cause that would be admitting their mistake. I have been a die hard steelers fan for 40 plus years and 2012 was the most pathetic display of steelers football that i have seen. And yes, Dumb-Lin is responsible for getting his players in shape mentally as well as physically. Coaching under Dumb-Lin has and will continue to be a joke unless someone takes charge over there !!!

He was a SB winning DBs coachs
He was a defensive coordinator for the Vikings in 06 where they were the #8 overall defense

Other than head coaching another team -what more do you need for a resume outside of a sexy, big name hire?

We make fun of Harbaugh with the Ravens for being a former ST coach . . . so was Cowher.

How do you know he was hired because of the Rooney rule? Is there some actual facts you can back this up with, or you just assume because he's black?

desertsteel
12-26-2012, 06:51 PM
:chuckle:He was a SB winning DBs coachs
He was a defensive coordinator for the Vikings in 06 where they were the #8 overall defense

Other than head coaching another team -what more do you need for a resume outside of a sexy, big name hire?

We make fun of Harbaugh with the Ravens for being a former ST coach . . . so was Cowher.

How do you know he was hired because of the Rooney rule? Is there some actual facts you can back this up with, or you just assume because he's black?

He's just a typical irrational fan. How's that for an assumption?

Blacksburg Zach
12-26-2012, 07:23 PM

So, Tomlin has "failed miserably" during his tenure as a head coach? So two Super Bowl appearances, one win, four playoff berths, three division titles, and three 12-4 seasons in six years is failing miserably? No wonder Ryan Clark thinks Steelers fans are a spoiled bunch. Many fan bases would kill for that kind of resume.

Steelers5895
12-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Tomlin is starting the makings of a Hall of Fame coach. He is here to stay and I am thrilled about it. Coaches are not perfect. Quarterbacks throw ints, etc and coaches are going to screw up challenges, when to go for a FG, when to go for it on 4th, etc.

What I want to see is a coach with a short memory and willing to take a chance and I see that in Tomlin.

I also seen his team do GREAT in playoff games. Even in their loses they played from behind and made a run at it. His teams never gave up and always battled back.

In the 2 Super Bowls his team was down in one and won it and down 21 in another and was a fumble by Mendy away from taking over that game.

We came back large vs the ravens too.

that is all about coaching as all those games the teams could have been blown out,

Tomlin will be here as long as he wants to be here.

If you dont like Tomlin as a coach its because of his skin color only in my opinion and thats just messed up.

SteeleReign
12-26-2012, 09:35 PM
I have two issues with Tomlin - player development and discipline.

I haven't seen much development from the young guys during his term so far. Sure, it could be poor drafting, scouting, or both. But, part of the issue we've had is that there has not been enough development of the new guard. The guys that got us to 3 Super Bowls are becoming less effective, and there's no one to fill in. I don't necessarily put all of this on Tomlin, but he gets some of the blame.

The biggest issue I have is the lack of discipline. The stupid penalties, dropped passes, fumbles, and the preening and profiling for the cameras after every catch, tackle, and run drive me insane. The young guys seem to be in it more for the money and notoriety - Mike needs to make it clear that Pittsburgh Steeler football is about winning Super Bowls....PERIOD.

This team lacks mental toughness, which is surprising to me. Tomlin gives the impression of being in control of his emotions, of not being affected by high highs or low lows. Why is it then, that this team has fallen apart this season due to ridiculous mistakes at the most inopportune times? I believe it's because of his non-confrontational coaching style. The players just don't seem to fear him.

I don't want Tomlin fired. I think he is the coach of this team for a long time. However, he MUST re-evaluate his relationships with players - no more buddy/buddy crap. He must get tougher in camp. He must expect more from his veterans, and not give them a pass. He must get tougher, meaner, and mean every word of it.

Blackout
12-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Plus, he sort of left on a bad note with the Rooneys.

What happened?

therocksteeler
12-26-2012, 09:48 PM
-Doubt Cowher wants to come back. He's had a lot of offers and seems to have declined them all. Plus, he sort of left on a bad note with the Rooneys.

-Whiz, not impressed. Good OC, not great HC.

-Lebeau has been a head coach before, and sucked at it. Plus, he's too old to take on any kind of permanent position like that. If he's DC next year, I guarantee it'll be his last.

The other 3 (aside from Butler) I don't know much about. Butler would probably be my pick out of any of the ones you mentioned.

I myself would stick with Tomlin though. And I agree that maybe he needs to step it up. I trust the Rooney's decision in this regard though.

SCmom,
I hope you read this atricle on foxsports.com today. Ben takes the blame as a LEADER which I feel is very honorable. What I do not feel is honorable is that Tomlin is quaoted in the article as pointing out Ben's key mistakes during games this year. Wow ...... Way to stand behind your players Mike. Coaching was terrble this year. Run, run, pass does not cut in this league. You mold your offense into a unit that blends with your QB. Todd or Mike out out in 2013 fine with me....details on article see below...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-takes-blame-for-collapse-122612

therocksteeler
12-26-2012, 09:59 PM
So, Tomlin has "failed miserably" during his tenure as a head coach? So two Super Bowl appearances, one win, four playoff berths, three division titles, and three 12-4 seasons in six years is failing miserably? No wonder Ryan Clark thinks Steelers fans are a spoiled bunch. Many fan bases would kill for that kind of resume.

The head coach also I may add maintains the heart beat of a team throughout it's season. He also works to increase or decrease the flow as he feels warranted. I personally feel Mike Tomlin needs to shoulder some of these issues as the leader of the coaching staff. On foxsports.com today Mr. Tomlin did none of these on spoke to Ben's quaotes as "Blame Me" ... Mike stated several situations where Ben's play has been suspect of the course of the year. To me this does not sound like a leader nor does it sound like a leader of the Steelers. Honorable Ben's shouldering of the situation this is a sign of a leader. Super bowl wins or losses he kepts his team first and team mates as well. Remember Ben getting hammered behind his OL and never spoke ill of them when asked by media. I hate the fact the media is looking for someone to blame and Ben is taking it. Mike should step up....oh and by the way he walked into a very good team super bowl team. As far as his destiny in the Hall well after this season his metal will be tested. I hope he takes the steps needed, articles like today were not a good path.

Ricco Suavez
12-26-2012, 10:15 PM
SCmom,
I hope you read this atricle on foxsports.com today. Ben takes the blame as a LEADER which I feel is very honorable. What I do not feel is honorable is that Tomlin is quaoted in the article as pointing out Ben's key mistakes during games this year. Wow ...... Way to stand behind your players Mike. Coaching was terrble this year. Run, run, pass does not cut in this league. You mold your offense into a unit that blends with your QB. Todd or Mike out out in 2013 fine with me....details on article see below...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-takes-blame-for-collapse-122612

Thanks for posting the link to the article. I am a defender of Ben, feel like I have to at times because of the unsupported hate and prejudice against him. But I thought the article was fair and even Tomlins comments not really that inflammatory. Ben's numbers were pretty good, and while he was clutch early and the defense was not so clutch, he failed late in the season when it became more Crunch time. While others seem to revel in his misfortunes,(which is crazy since his success tends to lead to Steeler success) I realize that you cannot just turn it on and off in the NFL. That even if your QB is playing almost perfect he can look like a goat if teammates miss assignments. That even the best make miscues, that injuries sometimes affect players for more than just the time they miss. I hope we come back strong next year and my special wish is for Ben to have a great season that ends in a SB win, one reason because I want to see #7 Lombardi before I die, and second it is so much quieter on this forum when no one can bitch about Ben and/or Tomlin.

zshelhamer
12-26-2012, 10:16 PM
SCmom,
I What I do not feel is honorable is that Tomlin is quaoted in the article as pointing out Ben's key mistakes during games this year. Wow ...... Way to stand behind your players Mike.
[url]

I'm glad he did it. The point of a Head Coach and Leader is to get the most out of his players. By pointing out his mistakes, he is basically saying "OK Ben, you wanna take ownership and shoulder the blame for this year? Fine, here are the mistakes you made that cost us big. Do something about it."

Sure Tomlin made some questionable calls, but at least he was being aggressive and trying to win football games. I'm glad to have him as our Head Coach and I'm looking forward for him being here for years to come!:tt03:

rpbncb
12-29-2012, 10:58 AM
i'm not zshelhamer.

sloppyjoe
12-29-2012, 12:24 PM
just about anybody could have been given that head coach position of the steelers in place of tomlin and been just as or more successful

Blacksburg Zach
12-29-2012, 01:33 PM
just about anybody could have been given that head coach position of the steelers in place of tomlin and been just as or more successful

Really? Do you truly believe that someone such as a Chan Gailey, Norv Turner, or a Romeo Crennel could be as successful as Tomlin has been during his tenure with the Steelers?

sloppyjoe
12-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Really? Do you truly believe that someone such as a Chan Gailey, Norv Turner, or a Romeo Crennel could be as successful as Tomlin has been during his tenure with the Steelers?

easily.
do you think tomlin would have more wins if he was coaching KC this year compared to romeo? norv in SD?

Steel95
12-29-2012, 01:51 PM

Yep! And if Bruce Arians fail to make the playoffs, you will be one of the first individuals on here yelling to fire him as well. Man, I'm glad the people on this site are fans, know everything except reality.

Blacksburg Zach
12-29-2012, 01:55 PM
easily.
do you think tomlin would have more wins if he was coaching KC this year compared to romeo? norv in SD?

I absolutely believe Tomlin would have a better record than those two if he was in one of their situations. I'm not saying Tomlin doesn't make mistakes, but he is still one of the better coaches in the league. Certainly better than Crennel or Turner.

Steel95
12-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Mike Tomlin isn't the problem; the problem lies with the players!! It starts with Big Ben, no, he isn't the only problem, but he is a problem. It's time people wake up and smell the roses; this guy wants to throw the football 60 times a game. If he can't, he complains, and his play on the field has revealed it this year. No, he isn't the only player that under-performed this year, but it starts with him. He constantly talks about being a leader, well its time he shows it. He doesn't have to like Todd Haley's system, but be a professional, study and perfect it. If it fails, then Haley is to blame. This guy thinks everything has to be about him, it's about the team, not number 7.

Mike Tomlin is to blame as well; he needs to stop being a friend and more of a coach and game manager during the game. I get so sick of this guy walking around as though he is in Wonderland, then if the team loses, he goes into his press conferences like he is pissed the (BLEEP) off, are you kidding me? He definitely deserves most of the blame, he is the Head Coach. However, he will not be fired people, the Steelers never panick; and lets not forget those three consecutive sub-par seasons Bill Cowher had as well.

LaMarr Woodley? Get your Fat A$$ in shape already, can you do that? Every since he signed that fat signing bonus, he can't stay in shape.

Ziggy Hood? This has got to be his last year, if he doesn't get it next year, cut ties with him. The same can be said for Cameron Heyward. Two former 1st round draft picks that have done absolutely nothing!

steeltheone
12-29-2012, 02:10 PM
I absolutely believe Tomlin would have a better record than those two if he was in one of their situations. I'm not saying Tomlin doesn't make mistakes, but he is still one of the better coaches in the league. Certainly better than Crennel or Turner.

I'm not so sure...Crennel sucks, but he took over a mess......Tomlin is very "Turner like " without the experience and a better personality.

Steel95
12-29-2012, 02:17 PM

Bill Cowher
Ken Whizenhunt
Dick Lebeau
Vic Fangio
Tom Clements
Keith Butler

Huh! No Way, No How!!!!!! Forget about Cowher, get over him already, move on with your life dude. Ken Whizenhunt won with Dennis Green Players; he will always be a sufficient OC, never a good H.C. The only guy on that list I would even consisder would be Tom Clements, the Defensive Coordinator for the 49ers, if that is who I think it is.

Blacksburg Zach
12-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Huh! No Way, No How!!!!!! Forget about Cowher, get over him already, move on with your life dude. Ken Whizenhunt won with Dennis Green Players; he will always be a sufficient OC, never a good H.C. The only guy on that list I would even consisder would be Tom Clements, the Defensive Coordinator for the 49ers, if that is who I think it is.

Vic Fangio is the niners' defensive coordinator.

Steel95
12-29-2012, 02:34 PM

Dude, you must be on Drugs! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

sloppyjoe
12-29-2012, 02:56 PM

what have you seen tomlin do as a head coach that would lead you to believe that he would have more wins?

fansince'76
12-29-2012, 03:02 PM

I guess that explains why Norv Turner took over a squad that went 14-2 and put 10 players in the Pro Bowl in 2006 and has done exactly jack shit with it since.

If being a head coach were that easy, the job wouldn't pay 7 figures a year.

sloppyjoe
12-29-2012, 03:07 PM
I guess that explains why Norv Turner took over a squad that went 14-2 and put 10 players in the Pro Bowl in 2006 and has done exactly jack shit with it since.

If being a head coach were that easy, the job wouldn't pay 7 figures a year.

kinda the same path tomlin is on eh?

fansince'76
12-29-2012, 03:08 PM
kinda the same path tomlin is on eh?

:rolleyes:

Yeah, minus the 2 AFC championships and the Super Bowl ring. And the fact that Tomlin took over a squad that finished 8-8 the year before he arrived, which is kind of a far cry from 14-2...

sloppyjoe
12-29-2012, 03:09 PM
:rolleyes:

Yeah, minus the 2 AFC championships and the Super Bowl ring...

:banging:
yup, kinda like being embarrssed by the broncos and then not even making the playoffs the next year

fansince'76
12-29-2012, 03:13 PM
:banging:
yup, kinda like being embarrssed by the broncos and then not even making the playoffs the next year

How is that comparable to a 4-year playoff drought completely?

Get a clue.

Blacksburg Zach
12-29-2012, 03:13 PM
what have you seen tomlin do as a head coach that would lead you to believe that he would have more wins?

I've seen Tomlin lead the Steelers to one super bowl victory, two AFC championships, three division titles, four playoff berths, and three 12-4 seasons in his six seasons as head coach. What have you seen Turner and Crennel do that leads you to believe that they could replicate or surpass the success Tomlin has had?

SteelersCanada
12-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Let's get Chuck back and bring back TB and Franco Harris. While we're at it, let's go get Swann and Stallworth and fucking dig up Myron Cope and throw his bones on the sidelines to help this team win. This way, we can return to "Steelers football", right guys?

Or, let's keep Tomlin and grab Norv Turner to be OC. That way, Ben can be the field general he is and call audibles without Haley having a bitch fit on the sidelines. He'd also use Manny and AB the way they're supposed to be used - vertically.

sloppyjoe
12-29-2012, 03:22 PM
I've seen Tomlin lead the Steelers to to one super bowl victory, two AFC championships, three division titles, four playoff berths, and three 12-4 seasons in his six seasons as head coach. What have you seen Turner and Crennel do that leads you to believe that they could replicate or surpass the success Tomlin has had?

that's what i thought. you have nothing to prove that tomlin is a great coach and that he would propel KC to a higher win total.

is barry switzer a great coach, better than tomlin?

ive seen turner and crennel stand on the sideline looking lost. that would equal tomlins contributions. if they made a in game adjustment, they would be ahead.

Blacksburg Zach
12-29-2012, 03:47 PM
that's what i thought. you have nothing to prove that tomlin is a great coach and that he would propel KC to a higher win total.

is barry switzer a great coach, better than tomlin?

ive seen turner and crennel stand on the sideline looking lost. that would equal tomlins contributions. if they made a in game adjustment, they would be ahead.

I never said Tomlin was a "great" coach. I said he was a better option than most in the league. He is not immune to criticism, but he should not shoulder all the blame after a loss. Besides, isn't it the head coach's job to lead his team to victory? Last time I checked, Tomlin has done plenty of winning, including leading the Steelers to their record-breaking sixth super bowl victory. Turner and Crennel both have losing records as head coaches, but you insist that they are somehow equal to Tomlin. Also, Tomlin's not going anywhere, so stop bitching and deal with it.