PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: The joke’s on the Steelers

Hawaii 5-0
12-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Starkey: The joke’s on the Steelers

By Joe Starkey
Published: Wednesday, December 26, 2012

This Steelers‘ offense is an abomination.

Worse, it‘s soft.

They cannot run the ball. They do not score enough (2.2 touchdowns per game if, unlike them, you‘re scoring at home). Their red-zone approach stinks, and maybe most critically, their quarterback still goes sandlot too often and is getting his brains beaten in.

Bottom line: Bruce Arians must go.

I mean, Arians called for 25 passes in the first half at Dallas! He didn‘t use a fullback on several short-yardage runs against the Chargers! His third-and-1 handoffs take an hour-and-a-half to unfold and only work when Isaac Redman performs a miracle.

The running game is laughable. Byron Leftwich, who couldn‘t steal a base off Rod Barajas, has the team‘s second-longest run of the season. Rashard Mendenhall doesn‘t even bother to show up anymore.

The Steelers have lost their two divisional home games even though the opposing offense DID NOT SCORE A TOUCHDOWN. That‘s hard to do.

Mike Wallace is now a possession receiver. Emmanuel Sanders can‘t take a hit. Antonio Brown has lost his mind.

This group needs a coordinator with a backbone.

Besides, Arians is too friendly with Big Ben. He‘s more like Ben‘s uncle than his boss. You can‘t have that. Players can‘t be friends with coaches. That‘s insane.

It‘s obvious, in watching Ben play, that Arians isn‘t tough enough on him. Did you see the ridiculous interception that lost the Bengals‘ game? Typical Ben, doing whatever he wants out there and taking silly chances.

The Steelers need a guy who‘ll get in Ben‘s face, for Ben‘s own good. The man turns 31 in March. He won‘t make 34 if this kind of punishment keeps up.

What‘s more, Ben has misplaced his clutch gene. Behold his recent history in big games:

• He was terrible in the 2010 AFC Championship.

• He air-balled the last shot of Super Bowl XLIII.

• He double-dribbled on the last regulation possession of the Denver playoff game.

• He had multiple chances to finish off the Cowboys two weeks ago and the Bengals four days ago and came up empty every time.

The magic is gone.

So here‘s my suggestion for Steelers president Art Rooney II: Let it be known to Mike Tomlin that you‘d like to see Arians jettisoned. Leave the decision up to Tomlin, of course, knowing that any intelligent employee will take a hint from his boss (I sure hope Art and Mike aren‘t friends, by the way, because we‘ve seen how poorly that has worked out with Bruce and Ben).

That‘ll be it for Arians, but the Steelers should let him down softly. Maybe disguise the firing as a “retirement.” It‘s not likely Arians would find work right away and make the Steelers look bad. Everybody knows Ben made him.

Secretly, I‘m sure Arians still wants to be a head coach. Can you imagine that? With his luck, he‘d probably wind up in charge of a no-hope, 2-14 team.

Once Arians is gone, Rooney II should tell reporters that Ben needs to “tweak” his game, even if Robert Kraft would never say anything like that about Tom Brady. The Steelers need to rock Ben‘s world. He‘s too comfortable.

Look, it‘s past time the offense carried this franchise for a bit, but that‘s hard to do when you can‘t score. This sickly unit has reached 30 points once all season. The Seahawks score that many in a quarter.

If the Steelers don‘t hit 30 against Cleveland on Sunday, it‘ll be the first time in 20 years that they failed to reach the number at least twice in a season.

The bigger picture, though, is the quarterback. Ben must be tamed. He must be spared more bodily harm. My God, the man nearly speared himself to death with his own rib. Somebody needs to put him in his place — the pocket — and maybe even blow up at him once in a while.

I don‘t know who the new guy should be, but I‘ve got a solid tip for Rooney II and Tomlin.

I hear Todd Haley‘s available.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/3188457-74/ben-steelers-arians#ixzz2GGR6oTIQ

desertsteel
12-27-2012, 10:04 AM
I get the article... I just think it's weird...

Fire Haley
12-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Hire Arians!

bwahahahahahahah

The 2009 9-7 team was at least entertaining - seems to me we were scoring points pretty regularly that year

oh how I wish we could score like that again, unless you prefer losing 13-10 games in the dink&dunk era

Bayz101
12-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Sounds like Joe's butt-hurt. :chuckle:

It's Haley's first year, and people already want him on the cross. News Flash: The Steelers, once again, fell victim to injuries late in the season. The only difference between this year and last year is that we're not going to be humiliated in the playoffs again.

Arians isn't coming back, and I thank god for that. I really do.

GoFor7
12-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Besides, Arians is too friendly with Big Ben. He‘s more like Ben‘s uncle than his boss. You can‘t have that. Players can‘t be friends with coaches. That‘s insane.

In case you didn't get this, he was pointing out how it's bad if Ben and Arians are perceived as buddy-buddy, but it's okay if Tomlin is buddy-buddy with the other players. I mentioned this before and some of you didn't see how that was hypocritical. Get it now?

Fire Haley
12-27-2012, 11:36 AM
If the Steelers don‘t hit 30 against Cleveland on Sunday, it‘ll be the first time in 20 years that they failed to reach the number at least twice in a season.

Disgusting. That's what Mr Dink&Dunk will get you - more chances to lose

stb_steeler
12-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Sounds like Joe's butt-hurt. :chuckle:

It's Haley's first year, and people already want him on the cross. News Flash: The Steelers, once again, fell victim to injuries late in the season. The only difference between this year and last year is that we're not going to be humiliated in the playoffs again.

Arians isn't coming back, and I thank god for that. I really do.

Funny how most seem to forget the injuries :noidea:

GoFor7
12-27-2012, 11:52 AM

Disgusting. That's what Mr Dink&Dunk will get you - more chances to lose

But you gotta possess the ball more! Those numbers are more important than the numbers on the scoreboard!

Fire Haley
12-27-2012, 12:12 PM
When defenses figured out we were playing Marty Ball and ascared to throw it deep they collapsed their coverage and jumped the under routes....Mr Play Not To Lose's dink&dunk went to shit after that

3rd and 1 - line up the single back 8 yds deep and run it up the gut

4th and 1- line up the single back 8 yds deep and run it up the gut

that's your offense, no misdirection, no play-action on 1st downs - just line up and run it up the gut

GoFor7
12-27-2012, 12:16 PM
When defenses figured out we were playing Marty Ball and ascared to throw it deep they collapsed their coverage and jumped the under routes....Mr Play Not To Lose's dink&dunk went to shit after that

that's your offense, no misdirection, no play-action on 1st downs - just line up and run it up the gut

lol. And yinzers shit on Ben for the season. Look at how this offense worked, he was almost set up to fail. If it wasn't for his epic 3rd down play before the injury, 8-8 would seem like a championship season. The Steelers played scared, close to the vest football for the majority of the game, then hoped Ben would bail them out at the end.

Guys, you're allowed to admit Artie screwed up when he hired Haley. Really, you don't get struck by lightning when you criticize him. And no, I made no deals with the devil to do so.

pete74
12-27-2012, 12:29 PM
lol. And yinzers shit on Ben for the season. Look at how this offense worked, he was almost set up to fail. If it wasn't for his epic 3rd down play before the injury, 8-8 would seem like a championship season. The Steelers played scared, close to the vest football for the majority of the game, then hoped Ben would bail them out at the end.

Guys, you're allowed to admit Artie screwed up when he hired Haley. Really, you don't get struck by lightning when you criticize him. And no, I made no deals with the devil to do so.

Ben played poorly after coming back from his injury. That's all it was. I odds are he was still hurt but he'll never say so. Ben wasn't asked to do anything different at the end of the Cowboys or Bengal game. He wasn't picked off tossing a hail marry or anything. I he threw two very bad passes and like he stated, opinions the loss was on him.

desertsteel
12-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Funny how most seem to forget the injuries :noidea:

Nobody is forgetting them, but...

A) It happens EVERY YEAR
B) It happens to LOTS OF TEAMS

The reason I don't use them as an excuse is because they are a reality in today's NFL. You can count on em. The plus side is that it gives game experience to young players and we really need an infusion of youth on this team.

Fire Haley
12-27-2012, 12:42 PM
hello, if teams like Seattle can score 50+ a couple times a year, with a rookie QB no less, then hell yes I demand my entertainmnt too

keeping games close only invites more disasters

this team just looked like they played scared the last half of the year, Ben's aorta spooked them

Darkstorm05
12-27-2012, 12:42 PM

Is that 3rd down failure you're referring to the one where Mendy got stuffed? If so, you do know that was Ben's call from the no huddle and had nothing to do with Haley, right?

cowherpower
12-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Is that 3rd down failure you're referring to the one where Mendy got stuffed? If so, you do know that was Ben's call from the no huddle and had nothing to do with Haley, right?

Yeah but...it was Haley's fault Ben threw that pick six vs. Dallas in OT right? wait...they were in the no huddle...nevermind.

defence
12-27-2012, 01:11 PM
All I can say about this offence. It is the worst I have seen in many many years. Why don't you just look at who we played. We could barely move the ball on the Chiefs; even before Ben got hurt. How many teams have played them after we have and lit up there d. We made the Chargers look like a playoff team. No matter who you want to blame; the end of the day; the coaches are responsible for that predictable disaster you call an offence. Did Ben throw the picks?? Ya. Should we have been tied 10 10 at that point? Fuck no!! Heck after the interception on the first play of the third quarter; we should have just kicked a field goal and not let Haley fuck up the play calling to take us out of field goal range. Haley is pathetic. he knew the Steelers could not run the ball but predictably he ran on 1st and 2nd downs so many times this year that he took momentum away from his own offence. This offence should have been designed like the old colts with Manning. Spread them out and attack. Run at them as a surprise. Until we get our oline to dominate and a feature back; we can't play like the STEELERS used to play. Haley failed to use his strengths on offence. And please people with the last minute stuff. The offence should be doing a lot more than 10 points with 40 seconds left then flip a switch and ask your qb to go out there and win the game for you!!

GoFor7
12-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Ah. The Ben bashers can only point to a few instances where Ben threw INTs, but they won't look over the course of the entire season.

This season was the Steelers' version of Marty Ball. Play the game close, and hope Ben bails everyone out at the end. When he doesn't......... BOOOOOOOOO! BEN STINKS! BOOOOOOO! YINZ GOT AN EGO! BOOOOOOO! YINZ GOTTA YELL AT BEN LOUDER SO IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE ARTIE SCREWED UP! BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Wanna know why the dink-and-dunk stuff started to fail? Because teams caught on and the Steelers didn't adjust. They hardly took shots down field to give the other receivers space in the middle. They never let Ben win the game early, it always came down to the last 2 minutes.

But hey, I know you guys don't want to hear that because it would make the owner look bad. So lets just go back to the 90's! After all, the Steelers won all those super bowls with no QB back then!

Oh wait...

TRH
12-27-2012, 01:24 PM
the article makes a good point - and its hard to disagree with most of the "arians" stuff in there.

However - the problem i have with it is this : Where's the dozen or so paragraphs you would need to explain how atrocious, hideous, (and inured) our offensive line was?
About not protecting the QB (near the end of this season i got sick and tired of watching guys like Rivers, Romo, and Palmer have 15 minutes to sit back in the pocket and read a book, then decide to pass when they were ready - while OUR guy had to run for this life within 1.5 seconds...)
And about the other 90% of the stuff that was wrong that made this offense a "no-go"?
And all 3 sub-par performances by the RB's? Or the dozens of dropped balls, goof-ups, and laziness of our "young $$ crew" WR's? And other things that really made our offense go nowhere?

Article appears to be nothing more than someone taking a pot-shot at Ben, laying nearly the entire blame on him instead of spreading it out equally - which is what should be done right now. PLENNNNNNNTY of blame to go around all over the place - not just at Ben.

No one needs "to blow up at him". They need to protect him. They clearly didn't do it.

GoFor7
12-27-2012, 01:35 PM
the article makes a good point - and its hard to disagree with most of the "arians" stuff in there.

However - the problem i have with it is this : Where's the dozen or so paragraphs you would need to explain how atrocious, hideous, (and inured) our offensive line was?
About not protecting the QB (near the end of this season i got sick and tired of watching guys like Rivers, Romo, and Palmer have 15 minutes to sit back in the pocket and read a book, then decide to pass when they were ready - while OUR guy had to run for this life within 1.5 seconds...)
And about the other 90% of the stuff that was wrong that made this offense a "no-go"?
And all 3 sub-par performances by the RB's? Or the dozens of dropped balls, goof-ups, and laziness of our "young $$ crew" WR's? And other things that really made our offense go nowhere?

Arians had to deal with a lot of injuries, and an o-line that was just god awful to begin with - yet it was never an excuse for him. So why should it be an excuse for Haley following that logic?

Article appears to be nothing more than someone taking a pot-shot at Ben, laying nearly the entire blame on him instead of spreading it out equally - which is what should be done right now. PLENNNNNNNTY of blame to go around all over the place - not just at Ben.

Oh there might be some small shots at Ben, but this articles goes way beyond that, even if it doesn't mention anyone else by name. When Starkey mentions Arians in the sarcastic tone, you can also take that as a shot at Art Rooney II. Haley was his hire, and things got worse.

No one needs "to blow up at him". They need to protect him. They clearly didn't do it.

Sssshhhhhhh! Yinzers don't want to hear that!

TRH
12-27-2012, 01:38 PM
I've definitely been disappointed by Haley's 2nd half coaching/calling. The 1st half of the season started off great. Protecting the QB & we started to get the run game going. 2 important things.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-27-2012, 02:08 PM
It's not Todd Haley-- it is the injuries.

If some of the comments on this thread weren't so sad, they would be laughable. Steelers fans used to hate the way Bruce Arians would line us up 5-wide with no RB on 3rd down and 1. Now, I just read a post by someone on this thread complaining that they ran teh ball on 3rd down and 1 and 4th down and 1. Maybe they should try to out-think themselves like they did under Arians and do the opposite of what the other team thinks we won't do?

Of course the run game won't work, when your Oline situation is so desperate that your Probowl Center is having to play guard, you have two rookies holding down the entire right side of the Oline, and you finish the season with 2 of the original 5 projected starters on your Oline.

Of course we are going to lse games when ALL of our starting CBs are out.

Of course Ben is not going to have his head in the game after just giving birth to his firstborn son a couple weeks prior.

A lot of things just didn't align themselves properly for the Steelers this season. It happens. Big deal.

No, we do NOT need to hire Bruce Arians back.
No, we do not need to get rid of Haley-- his offense was cooking with gas until the injuries bodyslammed the team at midsseason.
No, we do not need to fire Mike Tomlin.

The silliness needs to stop. The Steelers need to update their training regimen and get guys back healthy next year and they are back in contention.

plenewken
12-27-2012, 02:40 PM
But you gotta possess the ball more! Those numbers are more important than the numbers on the scoreboard!

Possess the ball more?? The Steelers are #2 in the NFL in TOP, just behind Houston. Avg per game is 32:14, Houston is 33:09.
They are completely ineffective on offense, and a longer TOP won't change that.

The solution is not to possess the ball more, it's to do something with it, and a good start would be to reduce the # of giveaways. The Steelers are #2 in total fumbles with 33 for the season, behind ........... Philadelphia. Oh and they're also 3rd in fumbles lost, with 16.

The Offense was putrid, period.

Hawaii 5-0
12-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Possess the ball more?? The Steelers are #2 in the NFL in TOP, just behind Houston. Avg per game is 32:14, Houston is 33:09.

The solution is not to possess the ball more, it's to do something with it,

he was being sarcastic...

Blacksburg Zach
12-27-2012, 03:08 PM

The solution is not to possess the ball more, it's to do something with it, and a good start would be to reduce the # of giveaways. The Steelers are #2 in total fumbles with 33 for the season, behind ........... Philadelphia. Oh and they're also 3rd in fumbles lost, with 16.

The Offense was putrid, period.

GoFor7 was being sarcastic about the importance of time of possession. Making fun of fans/the Rooneys who want to run the ball and win the TOP battle, or "Yinzers" as he calls them, is sort of GoFor7's thing.

plenewken
12-27-2012, 03:12 PM
he was being sarcastic...

Oh, sorry! Thanks for telling me.
Anyway, I meant what I wrote.

tanda10506
12-27-2012, 03:19 PM
We suck because our WR's are sub par and extremely overrated. Wallace can't catch and fumbles when he does, AB can catch but often fumbles, and Sanders can catch sometimes but fumbles too. Most of all nobody gets open, even after 2 or 3 years of playing with Ben, these guys can't figure out that they need to run different routes and break away when the play doesn't work. Ben was given a lot of time to throw in the majority of games this year, yet these guys weren't open. How often did Ben pump fake and pump fake, only to dump it off to a RB or short to Miller, or was forced to run out of the pocket? It happened a lot. If you have NFL Rewind watch the coach's film, our problem lays with our WR's, and play calling is next on the list.

We had much better play calling this year, but in the 2nd half of the season other teams had figured it out. Did Haley come up with new plans? No. He took the idea that the Steelers wanted to run the ball and win the TOP battle and multiplied it by 10. I can count on my hands how many times Wallace was sent deep and we ran it into the ground even after our O line was severely injured. The play calling has to get better, I don't care who's calling the plays, it just has to get better. Yet even with proper play calling, a dropped pass or a fumble will have the same results as if the play was a perfect call.

TOP, dinking and dunking, and big plays are all one in the same. I hate to say it but there is only one methodical and great offense right now and it's the Patriots. Do they throw it long often? No. Do they ONLY dink and dunk? No. Do they win the TOP battle? Yes. To say that dinking and dunking is outdated and a "yinzer" mentality is totally incorrect and I'm sure Brady and Bellicheck would agree with that. When you win the TOP and pick a team apart like the Pats do, it makes up for a poor run game and opens things up deeper as safeties are forced to come up and help in coverage and CB's are trying to jam WR's at the line. Brandon Lloyd has been making some big plays in a dink and dunk offense, as has Gronkowski. Why is our form of dinking and dunking not working? Because unlike NE we NEVER change it up and our WR's have tons of drops/fumbles.

teegre
12-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Ben played poorly after coming back from his injury. That's all it was. I odds are he was still hurt but he'll never say so.

Thank you... BB being injured had a huge effect (whether people want to acknowledge that fact or not).

teegre
12-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Nobody is forgetting them, but...

A) It happens EVERY YEAR
B) It happens to LOTS OF TEAMS

The reason I don't use them as an excuse is because they are a reality in today's NFL. You can count on em. The plus side is that it gives game experience to young players and we really need an infusion of youth on this team.

Losing a franchise QB doesn't effect how an offense performs... really? Are you sure about that?

Injuries happen to every team: agreed.

Losing a franchise QB does NOT happen to every team.

lardlad
12-27-2012, 04:57 PM
If we are not -14 on turn overs, this thread doesn't exist. I wasn't crazy about some of the calls, but not holding on to the ball cost us probably three days. It's execution this season including Ben and the relievers who had butter fingers.

One other thing. Ben and Haley go the plays together. No one held a gun to bens head and forced plays on anyone. I Ben knows better audible to a different play.

We didn't hang on to the ball this year. It's none of the coaches fault unless you want to make an argument on technique. When you are a pro, you should not have to be taught how to carry the ball.

Complaining about Marty ball. Paying scared. How many times did we see the deep ball get picked or hit the turf. IMO we played too much backyard ball. Stated to look like last year, like we didn't have a plan. When we started the stand, stare, scramble right scramble left, scramble right, step up and throw is when things went bad. I know that is how Ben plays but I prefer to see a little crisp play rather than running for your life until someone gets open. It's not all Ben either, the line sucks and the receivers were not running great routes this year. There was a lot of zone played against us ever since the KC game. The relievers didn't find the soft spots, Ben wasn't seeing the field well and Haley never adjusted.

Bringing back Ariens would not help a damn thing.

Ricco Suavez
12-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Not happy with Haleys first year as OC, but I think the FO and coaches need to look to playing to the players strength this coming year. The heck with TOP or even protecting Ben by playing so conservative. I would rather have Ben two years at a high level than 5 years of mediocre. As for TOs, yea way too many (same thing in Arians offense except Bens INTs are down this year) OL needs to get better in run blocking, need WRs to play more physical and fight for the ball, and not fight for more yards when they fumble. I never thought Arians was as bad as most did, but I had no issue with replacing him as I thought the redzone scoring might improve with a new OC. Not giving up on Haley just think he needs to adjust a little more to the team than what he thinks the owner wants, or at least have the gonads to speak up.

austinfrench76
12-27-2012, 05:18 PM
The offense was moving along, not at a fast pace but at a "learning the offense pace", until Ben got hurt. He cam back and has looked WFUL. I don't blame the OC for that. Some of what the guy says is true of course but the play calling has nothing to do with some of the facts that I agree with in the article. Ben has lost his clutch game. I couldn't agree more. Don't know why but he has. I have backed Ben to the hilt on here but man he sucks in the clutch now OR to say it another way he is no longer the White Mamba. He has no killer instincts anymore. When we need to win, maybe not just have him be clutch but just not lose the game, he seems to fail now. Whether it's the picks or taking sacks that take us out of FG range, he needs to find that killer instincts again or we are sunk next year too.

Lady Steel
12-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Thank you... BB being injured had a huge effect (whether people want to acknowledge that fact or not).

I agree, but Ben is also stubborn. He wanted Arians, not Haley. I'm not sure if Ben doesn't like Haley as a person also, or if he's just being a jerk and giving Haley a big old f*ck you, but those two need to work it out somehow because I'm getting sick and tired of it. There is animosity between them and it is affecting the entire team. I blame it on Ben because it is utlimately up to him to execute the playcalling. Ben better watch himself and tread carefully. Steeler Nation never forgets.

Steel Peon
12-27-2012, 05:22 PM
It‘s obvious, in watching Ben play, that Arians isn‘t tough enough on him.

Funny stuff, right here.......I get the joke. Although, Ben was actually doing good during the first part of the season, it was just the rest of the offense that was screwed up, so aside from the last 2 bed-shittings, I'd say Ben was one of the least of our problems and had a great season. The whole offense, however, was never potent, and never got better. If nothing changed on offense from last year, performance wise, then the blame goes higher up than the OC.
Funny how most seem to forget the injuries

This is a fair point, however the defense was not nearly as affected by injuries, and Mike Wallace stayed healthy all season. IMO the injuries don't excuse looking like complete numbnuts, such as on offense and STs.