PDA

View Full Version : Why Should Lebeau Go??

VictoryFormation
12-27-2012, 06:36 PM
After 15 weeks, the Steeler‘s defense, under coach Dick lebeau, is ranked number 1 in total defense, in the league. This is a defense that is playing along side an offense that is ranked 21st in the league, averaging just 20.8 points per game. With that in mind, there are those in the media, along with fans that are calling for Dick Lebeau to step down. Lebeau said that he doesn’t want to step down yet, but that the decision is, ultimately, up to Mike Tomlin.
Dick Lebeau first became a defensive coordinator in the NFL, back in the 1980’s, with the Bengals. He invented the Zone Blitz, which was made famous by the Pittsburgh-Blitzburgh defense, taking the Steelers to Super Bowl XXX. Lebeau’s second stint as defense coordinator for the Steelers began in 2004, when he took over a struggling defense from Tim Lewis.
With Dick Lebeau as defensive coordinator, the Steelers have won 8 Division Championships, 4 AFC Championships, and 2 Super Bowls.

Please tell me? Why do we need to get rid of Dick Lebeau? Who would take over? Could his replacement be any better?

Steel Peon
12-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Why do we need to get rid of Dick Lebeau?

We don't......he dealt with injuries, inserted green players, and wound up #1......ain't that a bitch?

harrison'samonster
12-27-2012, 06:40 PM
I'll leave that up to Lebeau and Tomlin. The one thing I would like to see is a more aggressive defense.

Lady Steel
12-27-2012, 06:47 PM
I don't think LeBeau will go this year. I don't think he wants to go, and I don't think Tomlin wants him to go either. Why would Tomlin want him to go when the Steelers defense is ranked #1 in the league?

lardlad
12-27-2012, 07:03 PM
LeBeau can go only if there is someone better…

Anyone says he should go without having a better replacement in mind needs their head examined. Outside of that there is absolutely no grounds to fire LeBeau. None, end of story, done.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-27-2012, 07:35 PM
One can make the argument that the NFL has figured out the 3-4 Fire Blitz scheme, with its 10 yard cushions and soft coverages. That #1 ranking means sqaut if you cannot get off the field on 3rd down and guys like Matt Hasselbeck and Carson Palmer can carve up your secondary like a Thanksgiving turkey.

They were ranked #1 last year by a wider margin, and they got torched for 316 yards and 3 TDs by Tim Tebow for crying out loud.

The scheme is great for minimizing yardage and looking good in fantasy football, but it has been failing to create turnovers, get off the field on 3rd down, and consistently stop other teams from scoring in crucial game situations.

It pases the fantasy stat test, but not the eye test.

I see no reason to think Lebeau cannot adapt his gameplan and still create a winning strategy (see 2010 Patriots game), but I do think it is time for a new defensive scheme. We have the personnel for run a mean 4-3.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-27-2012, 07:37 PM
LeBeau can go only if there is someone better…

Anyone says he should go without having a better replacement in mind needs their head examined. Outside of that there is absolutely no grounds to fire LeBeau. None, end of story, done.

Not even getting carved up by Matt Hasselbeck, Carson Palmer, Tim Tebow, Phillip Rivers, and Tony Romo?

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-27-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't think LeBeau will go this year. I don't think he wants to go, and I don't think Tomlin wants him to go either. Why would Tomlin want him to go when the Steelers defense is ranked #1 in the league?

Because despite that #1 ranking (rankings don't win Superbowls, sorry), they could not create turnovers, could not stop other teams from scoring, could not generate any pass rush, could not get off the field on 3rd down, and could not shutdown terrible QBs like Matt Hasselbeck and Carson Palmer.

SteelersCanada
12-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Playing receivers 8 yards off the ball and this "let them have the dump offs, just not the big play" has been figured out by every team in the league. It's time for a change in defensive philosophy, and that doesn't mean Butler should take over. We don't need LeBeau v2.0. I want someone that would play an aggressive, attacking defense and not a conservative one.

It's time for fresh blood.

Darkstorm05
12-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Hasn't he been saying he would retire any year now? He's 75, and I can't really see him coming back yet another year.

SteelCurtainCall
12-27-2012, 07:56 PM
THE key for any great defense is the pass rush. The NY Giants proved it 2 years against a Patriot offense that couldn't be stpped by anyone else. When you continually disrupt a quarterback; if his name is Brady, Manning, or antone else; plays don't have time to develope. Pittsburgh has had no real pass rush as of late. You can only cover recievers for so long. The steelers need som DLmen.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-27-2012, 07:58 PM
THE key for any great defense is the pass rush. The NY Giants proved it 2 years against a Patriot offense that couldn't be stpped by anyone else. When you continually disrupt a quarterback; if his name is Brady, Manning, or antone else; plays don't have time to develope. Pittsburgh has had no real pass rush as of late. You can only cover recievers for so long. The steelers need som DLmen.

They have Dlinemen, just not ones desgined for playing in a 3-4.

Cam Heyward and Ziggy are both one-gap, pass-rushing DEs-- best suited to play DE in a 4-3. They don't have the build to take on two linemen on every snap.

steeltheone
12-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Playing receivers 8 yards off the ball and this "let them have the dump offs, just not the big play" has been figured out by every team in the league. It's time for a change in defensive philosophy, and that doesn't mean Butler should take over. We don't need LeBeau v2.0. I want someone that would play an aggressive, attacking defense and not a conservative one.

It's time for fresh blood. I agree...If your gonna change, change completely. Butler never did anything anywhere else do deserve this job.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-27-2012, 08:00 PM

It's time for fresh blood.

I partialy agree with you-- except for the fact that Lebeau has shown that he CAN come up with a 21st century scheme that can stop the best of them-- the 2010 Pats game (among a few others) proved that.

When we find smething that does work-- I would love for somebody to explain to me why we abandon it.

Hawaii 5-0
12-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Steelers notebook: LeBeau wants to return

By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, December 27, 2012

Even at age 76, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau doesn‘t plan to retire next season after again fielding the NFL‘s top-ranked defense, even during a subpar season.

“That would be up to Coach (Mike) Tomlin. Let‘s just say I really like Pittsburgh and I really like working for the Steelers,” LeBeau said. “Coach Tomlin will tell you if he wants me back or not. It will be up to Mike.”

Nose tackle Casey Hampton doesn‘t believe there is a better-prepared defense in the league.

“I‘ll put our guys up against anybody and against any defense,” he said.

• Win close games, have a good season. Lose close games, have a bad season. If there‘s any theorem that holds up from season to season, this is it. The Steelers have lost five games by three points or fewer, just as they did when they went 9-7 and missed the playoffs in 2009. Their total number of such losses in 2011, ‘10, ‘08 and ‘07? Three. Not surprisingly, they were 12-4 in three of those seasons and 10-6 in the other. “It just shows you the separation, the thin line between being a playoff team and going home early,” safety Ryan Clark said. “We didn‘t win enough.”

• Tight end Heath Miller was voted by teammates as the Steelers‘ Most Valuable Player. Several of them called it an easy choice. Miller is the first tight end selected since the award‘s inception in 1969. The announcement Thursday came on the same day Miller had surgery to repair three damaged right knee ligaments. Miller has a team-leading 71 receptions and eight touchdowns. “I have been saying for years that he is my favorite player, but we just never coached it up to where he got the opportunity to come out and show what he has been able to do,” safety Ryan Clark said. “If you look, game in and game out this year, when he got opportunities to deliver, he delivered.”

• Mike Adams, who started six games at right tackle before injuring an ankle, was selected from an injury-thinned field as the Steelers‘ rookie of the year, an award named for Hall of Famer Joe Greene. The Steelers were 4-2 when Adams started. Nose tackle Casey Hampton was chosen for The Chief Award for media cooperation, named after Steelers founder Art Rooney Sr. Both of those award winners were selected by the Pittsburgh chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America.

• Offensive coordinator Todd Haley understands that change hasn‘t always been easy for Ben Roethlisberger, who spent the previous seven seasons in former coordinator Bruce Arians‘ offense. The quarterback was critical of the play-calling recently. “It‘s not always the easiest thing because it‘s not always comfortable, and you have to adjust. That goes for all parties involved,” Haley said. “But that doesn‘t mean it‘s not right. Coach (Mike) Tomlin made a change. I was fortunate enough to be the guy that was chosen. You want to make your boss right, and I believe we will.”

• Now that he‘s run the offense for a season, Haley feels better prepared for the upcoming NFL Scouting Combine and draft. A season ago, his knowledge of Steelers players was based mostly on watching game video. “You get a much clearer picture of your needs, at least on offense. You have a much clearer picture of the players. I personally have a much better feel for all of the coaches, who I didn‘t know very well when I came here,” Haley said. “I believe we will just do nothing but get better, which is what we have to do.”

• Maurkice Pouncey is the first center in NFL history to make the Pro Bowl each of his first three seasons. Not that Roethlisberger is surprised. “I may be biased, but I think other people are seeing that he‘s the best center in the game,” he said. The most such selections for a Steelers center? Nine, for Hall of Famer Mike Webster.

• Cornerbacks Curtis Brown (ankle) and Keenan Lewis (knee) and receiver Mike Wallace (hip) were held out of practice Thursday for the second consecutive day. Adams (ankle) was out after getting limited work Wednesday.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3188475-74/steelers-miller-award?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Stee lers+Stories%29#ixzz2GIkCHrGr

ZoneBlitzer
12-27-2012, 08:45 PM
We need to clone LeBeau not let him go.

SteelCurtainCall
12-27-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm proud of our D. If we could get some sort of pas rush going; we'd be an even better D. I still think DL has some tricks up his sleeve, and I hope he stays for quite some time

FrancoLambert
12-27-2012, 09:30 PM
We need to clone LeBeau not let him go.

Exactly.
Plus, name replacement candidates with a better resume.
The #1 defensive rating is nice but not so significant obviously.
However he does need to adjust. 4-3 seems like the way to go nowadays, with as many big motor pash rushers you can find.
I seem to remember so many times when our 3 man D-line got stood up early and just shuffled around (especially Casey) exerting no pressure at all.

desertsteel
12-27-2012, 10:17 PM
I'd rather see the old dog stay and learn some new tricks to adjust to how the league has adjusted to his defense.

Fired for having the #1 defense. That's laughable. Steeler fans are never happy.

JVip
12-27-2012, 10:48 PM
I'd rather see the old dog stay and learn some new tricks to adjust to how the league has adjusted to his defense.

Fired for having the #1 defense. That's laughable. Steeler fans are never happy.

That would be like fireing an OC that went 12 and... Ohh wait, nevermind that happened.. lol

SteelBobbleHead
12-27-2012, 10:56 PM
After 15 weeks, the Steeler‘s defense, under coach Dick lebeau, is ranked number 1 in total defense, in the league. This is a defense that is playing along side an offense that is ranked 21st in the league, averaging just 20.8 points per game. With that in mind, there are those in the media, along with fans that are calling for Dick Lebeau to step down. Lebeau said that he doesn’t want to step down yet, but that the decision is, ultimately, up to Mike Tomlin.
Dick Lebeau first became a defensive coordinator in the NFL, back in the 1980’s, with the Bengals. He invented the Zone Blitz, which was made famous by the Pittsburgh-Blitzburgh defense, taking the Steelers to Super Bowl XXX. Lebeau’s second stint as defense coordinator for the Steelers began in 2004, when he took over a struggling defense from Tim Lewis.
With Dick Lebeau as defensive coordinator, the Steelers have won 8 Division Championships, 4 AFC Championships, and 2 Super Bowls.

Please tell me? Why do we need to get rid of Dick Lebeau? Who would take over? Could his replacement be any better?

LeBeau doesn't need to go. Once Ryan Mundy was replaced by Will Allen the D started to make it's turn around. LeBeau still came up with a game plan that covered up the lack of pass rush our two under performing OLB generated. The only thing I would like to see more emphasized is going for the ball, whether that is stripping the runner or going for the INT. Right now the philosophy is no big plays, make the tackle to make them drive the length of the field.

MasterOfPuppets
12-28-2012, 12:19 AM
Not even getting carved up by Matt Hasselbeck, Carson Palmer, Tim Tebow, Phillip Rivers, and Tony Romo?
so who's defense was better ? go ahead and list a few and then i'll show you what qb's shredded them ...in case you haven't noticed defenses around the league suck in general thanks to all the new rules to promote scoring. :noidea:

Hawaii 5-0
12-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Dick LeBeau intends on returning to Steelers next season

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 28, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/dick-lebeau.jpg?w=250

Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will likely return for another season as the head of the vaunted Steelers’ defense.

According to Chris Adamski of the Associated Press, the 75-year old LeBeau told his players this week he plans on coming back to head the Pittsburgh defense for another season.

LeBeau continues to say that his job status remains purely in the hands of head coach Mike Tomlin. While that may technically be true, the chances Tomlin wouldn’t bring LeBeau back if he wants to return next season is pretty miniscule.

“Let’s just say I really like Pittsburgh and I really like working for the Steelers,” LeBeau said. “Coach Tomlin will tell you if he wants me back or not. It will be up to Mike.”

LeBeau has spent 55 consecutive seasons in the league as a player and then a coach. Next season would be his tenth straight season at the helm of the Pittsburgh defense. During his time in Pittsburgh, the Steelers have led the league in total defense five times in nine seasons.

The Steelers defense has never ranked outside the top 10 in the league in total defense since LeBeau took over in 2004. If LeBeau wants to continue coaching, Tomlin will be happy to have him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/28/dick-lebeau-intends-on-returning-to-steelers-next-season/

steelersforever58
12-28-2012, 01:06 AM
While I don't think Lebeau should go, I would like him to change his philosophy. If he is not able to do that we are in for trouble. I just don't get the big cushions on wide receivers even in 3rd and relatively short yardage. And when is the last time he brought more than 5 on a pass rush. I keep hearing announcers talk about the Steelers vaunted blitz packages, but I don't know how they define blitz because to me that means bringing more than the other team can block. Lebeau virtually never does that.

Darkstorm05
12-28-2012, 01:22 AM
While I don't think Lebeau should go, I would like him to change his philosophy. If he is not able to do that we are in for trouble. I just don't get the big cushions on wide receivers even in 3rd and relatively short yardage. And when is the last time he brought more than 5 on a pass rush. I keep hearing announcers talk about the Steelers vaunted blitz packages, but I don't know how they define blitz because to me that means bringing more than the other team can block. Lebeau virtually never does that.

There could possibly be big changes coming if he stays. If Harrison doesn't return, it isn't too far fetched that we could transition to a 4-3 base defense. After the Pats did it, the East pretty much converted, and it became the new trend. We already have the talent to do it, and it might actually benefit a lot of our younger players, which benefits the team as a whole.

Hawaii 5-0
12-28-2012, 01:33 AM
There could possibly be big changes coming if he stays. If Harrison doesn't return, it isn't too far fetched that we could transition to a 4-3 base defense. After the Pats did it, the East pretty much converted, and it became the new trend. We already have the talent to do it, and it might actually benefit a lot of our younger players, which benefits the team as a whole.

no way that happens if LeBeau returns for another year...

Darkstorm05
12-28-2012, 01:51 AM
no way that happens if LeBeau returns for another year...

Thought I saw Bouchette put up an article quoting Foote that said they were practicing to play a 4-3 if needed.

plenewken
12-28-2012, 07:03 AM
...in case you haven't noticed defenses around the league suck in general thanks to all the new rules to promote scoring. :noidea:

I have noticed the new rules but I've also noticed that the Steelers can't score, even against all these "sucking" defenses. <shrugs>

Cherinko
12-28-2012, 07:43 AM
It baffles me that some people want to get rid of him. We'll force Lebeau out at about the same time Kraft trades Brady for a 2nd and a 3rd.

steelfury02
12-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Not sure how I feel about Heyward yet - he seems pretty physical at the point of attack, just not watched enough of him to decide if he could be a flat out pass-rusher, doesn't seem fast enough at first glance

McClendon - that is another story - I think the guy needs to see the field waaay more often

I'm all for Lebeau returning - it seemed like the defense was starting to generate more pressure as the season wore on, got their perimeter exposed, and then adjusted for the Cincy game, coming out as aggressive as I've seen them in the last few years. It really is a shame that the offense never could stay healthy or focused enough to put it together. The Steelers D that showed up against Cincy wanted it and seemed to have the will and skill to do it. That is what is frustrating. I finally saw Troy roaming like a madman and others were stepping up to get the ball back and off the field. Too bad the offense couldn't have scored two touchdowns - would have been the difference maker.

FanSince72
12-28-2012, 11:00 AM

First of all let's get one thing straight; Dick LeBeau did not "invent" the Zone Blitz - he simply refined it as many Defensive Coordinators have for years. The Zone Blitz has been around for about 40 years and was used extensively by the Miami Dolphins in the early 70's and Bill Arnsparger is often credited with "inventing" it.

That said, LeBeau did use the ZB in ways that were very creative and for a while it was a defensive scheme that was difficult to game-plan against and was thus very successful for a long time. But these days, virtually every team in the league is using some version of the ZB and as a result, most teams have a plan for playing against it.

LeBeau was a great DC and in some ways still is but my biggest complaint with him is that he doesn't seem to be able to adapt to an ever more changing game and he tends to rely on "Old School" methods and this was demonstrated quite clearly when the rules changed regarding the way defensive players can hit offensive players. Being an "Old School" player and coach, LeBeau (like many other such players who became coaches) learned to play defensive football in an era when hitting and intimidation was commonplace and he, naturally, passed on that mindset to his players. This worked for many years and the old "Imposing Your Will" approach, which included a good deal of token hitting and overkill tackling was often all that was necessary to basically scare the shit out of an opponent to the point where receivers shied away from crossing routes or other situations that might result in some crushing blow.

Nowadays, with the rules beefed up to eliminate such contact, LeBeau seems lost. He now (possibly for the first time in his career) has to think of ways to defend against offenses without relying on physicality and to play more as one might play a game of chess and he doesn't seem to be able to do that. He has (thankfully) concentrated more on the Secondary which has improved greatly but has become way too "soft" in the 10 to15-yard area and the line play - particularly in the blitzing department has suffered and I think it's because he can no longer rely on brute force as he has in the past.

Today's game is more about guile and cunning than simply an elbow to the head and I think LeBeau is too steeped in the old physical game (and too old to want to try to change gears now) to try to develop a more cerebral approach to the game.

rpbncb
12-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Lebeau isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. He really needs to tweak his defense some but that won't happen unless we get a real HC. But that's another story.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-28-2012, 12:53 PM
so who's defense was better ?

Are we comparing our "preciouses"? Who cares? The point is that someone else thinks our defensive scheme is perfect, and I pointed out quite simply that despite the gaudy fasntasy rankings, this defense was unable to stop several of the worst QBs on the worst teams this year.

go ahead and list a few and then i'll show you what qb's shredded them ...in case you haven't noticed defenses around the league suck in general thanks to all the new rules to promote scoring. :noidea:

Again, not sure what this would prove.

zsheik22
12-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Lebeau isnt the problem or anything close to it. Your defense isnt always going to hold teams to nothing, especially in this day and age. The defense was something you could definitely win with. The fumbles. Oh God, the fumbles.

steelfury02
12-28-2012, 02:46 PM
I'd say plenty of teams would like to have the defense that looked like it was ready to rectify their weaknesses on the perimeter. I won't base a defense on 1 game - but the offense is responsible for more losses than the defense. We take away about 3 god awful performances by Ben, the Wrs, and the RBs, we're sitting at 10-6 or 11-5 instead of 7-8 - that's including the defense getting owned through the first 5 games.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. The defense got better, the offensive personnel outside of Heath forgot to show up. 8 games by thin margins. Sounds like the offense shooting itself in the foot with the defense keeping it close.

MasterOfPuppets
12-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Are we comparing our "preciouses"? Who cares? The point is that someone else thinks our defensive scheme is perfect, and I pointed out quite simply that despite the gaudy fasntasy rankings, this defense was unable to stop several of the worst QBs on the worst teams this year.

Again, not sure what this would prove.
i just wanna know who's "non-choke" defensive scheme has caught your attention.... i mean who/what defense should the steelers strive to emulate ?
the difference i see between the steelers defense and the defense of some of this years more successful teams is the successful teams are scoring more points than their opponents ...:noidea: why bother nit picking a defence that gave up 20 points when the offense put up 35 ? but when your offense puts up a measly 17 points all the sudden that 20 looks huge on the score board...:popcorn:
here's some food for thought...if the steelers averaged 35 points a game like the patriots do , they would most likely be 15-0 right now... :jawdrop:

i seen way to many individual failures this year to blame it all on the scheme. missed tackles , missed interceptions, and penalties are not part of the "scheme".

sloppyjoe
12-28-2012, 03:22 PM
i will run him out of town as soon as the offense finishes in the top 5 for 3-4 years and the defense is the cause of the losses.

MasterOfPuppets
12-28-2012, 03:34 PM
i will run him out of town as soon as the offense finishes in the top 5 for 3-4 years and the defense is the cause of the losses.
thats the point i was making. the pats defense is usually in the bottom 3rd of the league but do you think pats fans are focused on that ? no because they are still getting the W's.

austinfrench76
12-28-2012, 05:15 PM
#1 defense in the league. #1 against the pass, #2 agianst the run, 10th in scoring. No matter what we argue about on here. Dick is coming back. Those are great stats and we will miss him if he leaves. I know we rank near the bottom in TO's but that is not due to defensive play calling. They need to teach these guys a strip move and park the DB's in front of a juggs machine!!!

White_Steel_Wolfe
12-28-2012, 06:02 PM
i just wanna know who's "non-choke" defensive scheme has caught your attention.... i mean who/what defense should the steelers strive to emulate ?
the difference i see between the steelers defense and the defense of some of this years more successful teams is the successful teams are scoring more points than their opponents ...:noidea: why bother nit picking a defence that gave up 20 points when the offense put up 35 ? but when your offense puts up a measly 17 points all the sudden that 20 looks huge on the score board...:popcorn:
here's some food for thought...if the steelers averaged 35 points a game like the patriots do , they would most likely be 15-0 right now... :jawdrop:

i seen way to many individual failures this year to blame it all on the scheme. missed tackles , missed interceptions, and penalties are not part of the "scheme".

Agree

SteelBobbleHead
12-28-2012, 06:16 PM
First of all let's get one thing straight; Dick LeBeau did not "invent" the Zone Blitz - he simply refined it as many Defensive Coordinators have for years. The Zone Blitz has been around for about 40 years and was used extensively by the Miami Dolphins in the early 70's and Bill Arnsparger is often credited with "inventing" it.

That said, LeBeau did use the ZB in ways that were very creative and for a while it was a defensive scheme that was difficult to game-plan against and was thus very successful for a long time. But these days, virtually every team in the league is using some version of the ZB and as a result, most teams have a plan for playing against it.

LeBeau was a great DC and in some ways still is but my biggest complaint with him is that he doesn't seem to be able to adapt to an ever more changing game and he tends to rely on "Old School" methods and this was demonstrated quite clearly when the rules changed regarding the way defensive players can hit offensive players. Being an "Old School" player and coach, LeBeau (like many other such players who became coaches) learned to play defensive football in an era when hitting and intimidation was commonplace and he, naturally, passed on that mindset to his players. This worked for many years and the old "Imposing Your Will" approach, which included a good deal of token hitting and overkill tackling was often all that was necessary to basically scare the shit out of an opponent to the point where receivers shied away from crossing routes or other situations that might result in some crushing blow.

Nowadays, with the rules beefed up to eliminate such contact, LeBeau seems lost. He now (possibly for the first time in his career) has to think of ways to defend against offenses without relying on physicality and to play more as one might play a game of chess and he doesn't seem to be able to do that. He has (thankfully) concentrated more on the Secondary which has improved greatly but has become way too "soft" in the 10 to15-yard area and the line play - particularly in the blitzing department has suffered and I think it's because he can no longer rely on brute force as he has in the past.

Today's game is more about guile and cunning than simply an elbow to the head and I think LeBeau is too steeped in the old physical game (and too old to want to try to change gears now) to try to develop a more cerebral approach to the game.

I can't figure out how you can say LeBeau cannot adapt. This year with OLBers who underperformed he still managed to have the top defense in the league. In his scheme the OLB are to set the tone and pressure the QB. I'd say that is adapting to his players fairly well. You can't blame LeBeau for the vanishing act Woodley has performed. He rushed the QB over 19 times in the bengal game and ended with no sacks. All this while being blocked man on man by either a tackle or a TE, against one of the worst Olines in the game. That is unacceptable. Harrison generated little QB pressure this year either. That was not by design, but more due to underperforming players. Equip LeBeau with some players who can get to the QB and his D will improve even more, along with the turnovers that have been lacking.

lloydwoodson
12-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Steelers had the #1 defense with ZERO pass rush. Put this on Harrison and Woodley not producing. PERIOD.