PDA

View Full Version : RBs

kent
12-27-2012, 08:43 PM
I know it's a little early to talk about off season moves but I'm looking for insight on what the running back market will look like. I think mendy and probably Redman need to go. Hurts to say that because I've liked both of them very much at times during their Steeler careers. I would keep Dwyer and Rainey but don't think either one is fulltime worthy.

blackandgoldsc
12-27-2012, 09:48 PM
I say we sign Mendy to a one year deal, draft Lattimore in a mid round. Let Lattimore rehab next year and turn him loose in 2014....Class guy all the way and a great runner

Curtain_of_Steel
12-27-2012, 09:59 PM
want nothing to do with Medenhall. i rather stick with Dwyer and Redman, and draft someone.

OX1947
12-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Let Mendy walk, let Dwyer be #2 RB with Redman as the 3rd down and 1 yard to go back. Sign Ben Tate as the number 1.

Tulsa
12-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Knile Davis could be a steal in the draft.

kent
12-27-2012, 11:43 PM
I say we sign Mendy to a one year deal, draft Lattimore in a mid round. Let Lattimore rehab next year and turn him loose in 2014....Class guy all the way and a great runner

I don't want anything to do with mendy. I do like you're idea on lattimore. I like Bernard from nc but he 'll probably go in the first. another guy I wouldn't mind is the back from Stanford.

kent
12-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Let Mendy walk, let Dwyer be #2 RB with Redman as the 3rd down and 1 yard to go back. Sign Ben Tate as the number 1.

Id love to make a free agency move like that but you know we won't.

Hawaii 5-0
12-27-2012, 11:58 PM

love that idea...:thumbsup:

however, Ben Tate will command big bucks once he hits free agency, the Steelers are way over next year's salary cap and unfortunately there's no way they will be able to afford him.

kent
12-28-2012, 12:22 AM
What's your take on picking up Steven Jackson for a one year contract.

Cyphon
12-28-2012, 01:53 AM
Keep Redman on as the starter. Get rid of Mendy. Success.

OX1947
12-28-2012, 01:57 AM
What's your take on picking up Steven Jackson for a one year contract.

The tread on those tires wore down a long time ago.

Darkstorm05
12-28-2012, 02:10 AM
Knile Davis could be a steal in the draft.

While I've read great things about him, and Lattimore as someone else mentioned, I REALLY don't see how picking up yet another injury prone RB is going to provide us the immediate help our run game needs. We've already got 4 guys taking turns on the sidelines with injuries as it is.

If Mendenhall doesn't return, we need a 2nd or 3rd round guy that is very low risk and will be an immediate upgrade to the running game. The bad news is, this draft class looks like crap for RB's. Makes me think that's part of the reason the FO is looking back to Mendy.

kent
12-28-2012, 02:25 AM
While I've read great things about him, and Lattimore as someone else mentioned, I REALLY don't see how picking up yet another injury prone RB is going to provide us the immediate help our run game needs. We've already got 4 guys taking turns on the sidelines with injuries as it is.

If Mendenhall doesn't return, we need a 2nd or 3rd round guy that is very low risk and will be an immediate upgrade to the running game. The bad news is, this draft class looks like crap for RB's. Makes me think that's part of the reason the FO is looking back to Mendy.

I personally think this class is strong for running back. The two you mentioned plus
Benard NC
Barner Oregon
Bell Michigan State
Ball Wisconsin
Stanford's back

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-28-2012, 01:16 PM
want nothing to do with Medenhall. i rather stick with Dwyer and Redman, and draft someone.

I disagree strongly.

Our defense has a LOT of needs this offseason. A LOT. We cannot afford to have to spend another high draft pick to get a legit #1 RB when we already have one on our roster.

Tomlin and Mendenhall need to kiss and make up-- is stupid to cost the team simply due to a petty personality conflict.

Sucks that Mendy started the season off injured, but to say he has "no heart" is kinda callous. His injury is normally an 18-month recovery and rehab-- he rushed it and was back on the field for the team at 12 months. And it was too soon-- he got re-injured.

Then, after not playing for almost a whole calendar year and starting off cold, Tomlin singles him out and benches him for fumbling, even though all four RBs put the rock on the ground that day. Stupid, since even despite the fumbles, in both games he played in this year-- he looked by far the best of our RBs.

Then, after being rendered inactive for several games (a dumb move by Tomlin), Mendy does his own stupid by not showing up to the Chargers game.

Seriously, I still like what I see when Mendy has the ball. He has the homerun capability and outside running speed to create big plays that Redman and Dwyer are too slow and plodding to make.

For us to waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on another RB is senseless. Tomlin and Mendy both need to be professionals and move forward. Don't be so fast to push the "eject" button....we already have a legit #1 RB.

kent
12-28-2012, 01:41 PM
I disagree strongly.

Our defense has a LOT of needs this offseason. A LOT. We cannot afford to have to spend another high draft pick to get a legit #1 RB when we already have one on our roster.

Tomlin and Mendenhall need to kiss and make up-- is stupid to cost the team simply due to a petty personality conflict.

Sucks that Mendy started the season off injured, but to say he has "no heart" is kinda callous. His injury is normally an 18-month recovery and rehab-- he rushed it and was back on the field for the team at 12 months. And it was too soon-- he got re-injured.

Then, after not playing for almost a whole calendar year and starting off cold, Tomlin singles him out and benches him for fumbling, even though all four RBs put the rock on the ground that day. Stupid, since even despite the fumbles, in both games he played in this year-- he looked by far the best of our RBs.

Then, after being rendered inactive for several games (a dumb move by Tomlin), Mendy does his own stupid by not showing up to the Chargers game.

Seriously, I still like what I see when Mendy has the ball. He has the homerun capability and outside running speed to create big plays that Redman and Dwyer are too slow and plodding to make.

For us to waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on another RB is senseless. Tomlin and Mendy both need to be professionals and move forward. Don't be so fast to push the "eject" button....we already have a legit #1 RB.

I agree we should not take a rb in the 1st. I would like to see the d line addressed there. I just don't think mendy ie the answer and would hate to pay him good money to keep him around. I think we can get a back in the middle rounds that will make a difference. We're going to need a back anyways since Dwyer, Redman, and mendy are all free agents and it would be foolish to keep all of them considering the way our running game performed this year.

Yes the D is old but we do have young talent at every position already. To be honest the defense did what it needed to win games this year. The offense is what killed us.

Cyphon
12-28-2012, 02:26 PM
A LOT. We cannot afford to have to spend another high draft pick to get a legit #1 RB when we already have one on our roster.

Agree with this. We have Redman so there is no need to look elsewhere. Our backups behind him are capable enough if he goes down.

Maybe I missed something but where was the personality conflict? I was under the impression Mendenhall was benched because his performance wasn't good and then later because he skipped out on the team. Tomlin handled Mendenhall right. One of the only good things he did this year.

Tomlin singles him out and benches him for fumbling, even though all four RBs put the rock on the ground that day.

He didn't single him out. He benched all 3 guys that game. The difference is, Mendenhall has a history of fumbling in key spots and put the ball on the ground twice against the Browns. So he got it a little worse than the others. We also shouldn't forget the fact that earlier in the year Dwyer fumbled and Tomlin called him out in front of the team and made Dwyer inactive for a week or 2.

Stupid, since even despite the fumbles, in both games he played in this year-- he looked by far the best of our RBs.

Actually Redman or Dwyer would be the 2 to argue looking the best. Dwyer had back to back 100 yard games and Redman had the biggest single game with 146 yards.

The problem with all of our backs was the rotation and the fact our run blocking was shitty most of the season. If those 2 things are fixed, Redman is our go to guy. He is the best of the 3 we are talking about.

Seriously, I still like what I see when Mendy has the ball.

I don't. He carries the ball like an idiot and is on the verge of fumbling almost every time he runs the ball. Worst of all is that he has done it in key spots (playoffs and superbowl).

He has the homerun capability and outside running speed to create big plays that Redman and Dwyer are too slow and plodding to make.

Stats say you are wrong. Redman and Dwyer have both had big runs to the outside this season. Mendenhall is faster but it doesn't typically make a huge difference because he doesn't break a lot of tackles or make people miss. For all of his speed his agility is subpar and he doesn't run with a lot of heart. On the other hand, Redman and Dwyer fight for every yard and typically fall forward as opposed to backward and they aren't scared to get hit.

Anyway, anyone who has truly paid attention to how our season has went, what the numbers are and our history the past few years, it is clear Mendy isn't the guy.

Steelers5895
12-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Mendy has underachieved and his crowning moment as a steeler is his fumble in super bowl 45. I never felt he was an elite back nor lived up to his first round status. Injuries, fumbles and inconsistency is how I summarize his career. I rather see Redman get a shot then Mendy.

Most likely they will keep either Dwyer or Redman and draft a RB. Bye Bye Mendy

steeltheone
12-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Ray Graham Pitt round 5

kent
12-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Mendy has underachieved and his crowning moment as a steeler is his fumble in super bowl 45. I never felt he was an elite back nor lived up to his first round status. Injuries, fumbles and inconsistency is how I summarize his career. I rather see Redman get a shot then Mendy.

Most likely they will keep either Dwyer or Redman and draft a RB. Bye Bye Mendy

I hope you are right.

defence
12-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Agree with this. We have Redman so there is no need to look elsewhere. Our backups behind him are capable enough if he goes down.

Maybe I missed something but where was the personality conflict? I was under the impression Mendenhall was benched because his performance wasn't good and then later because he skipped out on the team. Tomlin handled Mendenhall right. One of the only good things he did this year.

He didn't single him out. He benched all 3 guys that game. The difference is, Mendenhall has a history of fumbling in key spots and put the ball on the ground twice against the Browns. So he got it a little worse than the others. We also shouldn't forget the fact that earlier in the year Dwyer fumbled and Tomlin called him out in front of the team and made Dwyer inactive for a week or 2.

Actually Redman or Dwyer would be the 2 to argue looking the best. Dwyer had back to back 100 yard games and Redman had the biggest single game with 146 yards.

The problem with all of our backs was the rotation and the fact our run blocking was shitty most of the season. If those 2 things are fixed, Redman is our go to guy. He is the best of the 3 we are talking about.

I don't. He carries the ball like an idiot and is on the verge of fumbling almost every time he runs the ball. Worst of all is that he has done it in key spots (playoffs and superbowl).

Stats say you are wrong. Redman and Dwyer have both had big runs to the outside this season. Mendenhall is faster but it doesn't typically make a huge difference because he doesn't break a lot of tackles or make people miss. For all of his speed his agility is subpar and he doesn't run with a lot of heart. On the other hand, Redman and Dwyer fight for every yard and typically fall forward as opposed to backward and they aren't scared to get hit.

Anyway, anyone who has truly paid attention to how our season has went, what the numbers are and our history the past few years, it is clear Mendy isn't the guy.

Mendy may not be the guy; but neither are Redman or Dwyer!! I don't know what you guys see in these 2 guys to think they are feature backs. My opinion; look at free agency and see if you can get Mendy back cheap and hopefully bringing in some competition will spark a fire under the guy!! The other 2; would have a problem getting a job on another team. Maybe the cfl lol:drink:

Cyphon
12-28-2012, 07:26 PM
I don't know what you guys see in these 2 guys to think they are feature backs.

I see the numbers. Admittedly, I am not sold on Dwyer yet. I think there is still growing to be done with him. But Redman is easily a feature back. You can check to other threads to see the numbers and explanations if you want. I have posted them multiple times.

defence
12-28-2012, 08:55 PM
I see the numbers. Admittedly, I am not sold on Dwyer yet. I think there is still growing to be done with him. But Redman is easily a feature back. You can check to other threads to see the numbers and explanations if you want. I have posted them multiple times.

Yup!! OK!! He's our feature back lol:thumbsup:

Cherinko
12-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Overall the Steelers are ranked 28th in yards per carry at 3.8. Given that this was done with 3 different RB's....I don't know if the RB's are the problem..

Justp94
12-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Mendenhall will be back...

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Ray Graham Pitt round 5

This. He got dropped down in most draft boards because of his injury, otherwise he may have been a first rounder. Would be a real steal.

bornaSteelersfan
12-30-2012, 02:32 AM
Let's get this straight for a minute. There might only be 2 running backs here next year that were here this year; Baron Batch and Chris Rainey (Batch because we can offer league minimum and he has to take it or quit the NFL).

Redman and Dwyer are RFA's next year. That means we can either match an offer they get elsewhere or receive a draft pick for them. I don't expect us to match any offer they get (if they get any offers). I expect us to take draft picks instead. If they don't get any offers elsewhere, then we probably resign either or both for league minimum.

I truly do not expect The Steelers to give Mendenhall much money after the hit of around $3.5 million this season with very little production or value. I expect him to go somewhere else. I agree that he has quite a bit of talent, but the way he handles himself and the ball leaves quite a bit to be desired.

That leaves drafting a RB or getting one through FA. There are very few good RB's in the upcoming draft, so a decent one might be available in rounds 2 or 3. In FA who could we legitimately get? Steven Jackson would be a great veteran if we could afford him. Shonn Greene, Peyton Hillis or Cedric Benson may not be an improvement. Do you reach for someone like Reggie Bush? What about Ronnie Brown or Jackie Battle? I wouldn't even be surprised if we brought Mewelde Moore back again.

Truth is that there is no real obvious option at RB and we may have the same woes as this season if the O-line doesn't get it together.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
12-30-2012, 02:39 AM
If we don't bring Mendenhall back which I hope we do. I wouldn't mind drafting levvon bell from Michigan state bigger guy with more speed than Redman or Dwyer. And lets not lust Rainey as a rb all he will every be is a special teamer

austinfrench76
12-30-2012, 06:49 PM
This is off topic a bit but I was just watching the end of the Vikings-Packers agme and Adrian Peterson missed breaking the single season rushing record by 9 yards. When Pam Oliver told him, he genuinely didn't realize BUT didn't care! That's a class act! Why can't we grab an AP EVER! Instead we get a guy who thinks his political beliefs are more important than showing up on gameday and holding onto the ball! Damn is AP great! Really like the guy now!

Curtain_of_Steel
12-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Mendy should be gone, but their was a report out last week or the week before that the FO was talking to his agent. Hopefully they were just arranging his locker clean out schedule. There is no way they see this guy as a success in our backfield. Even today he kept dancing before hitting the hole.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Helps he equally has an OLINE to block for him.

not defending mendy as he lets the hole close while he decides which way to run. Bu our Oline doesn't exactly smell of success!

Hawaii 5-0
12-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Redman and Dwyer are RFA's next year. That means we can either match an offer they get elsewhere or receive a draft pick for them.

we would receive only a 6th round draft pick for Dwyer and because Redman was an UDFA we would receive nothing in return if another team signed him to an offer sheet that we refused to match.

kan_t
12-30-2012, 09:49 PM
This is off topic a bit but I was just watching the end of the Vikings-Packers agme and Adrian Peterson missed breaking the single season rushing record by 9 yards. When Pam Oliver told him, he genuinely didn't realize BUT didn't care! That's a class act! Why can't we grab an AP EVER! Instead we get a guy who thinks his political beliefs are more important than showing up on gameday and holding onto the ball! Damn is AP great! Really like the guy now!
AP will go down as an all-time top 10 RB (or even top 5). Getting an AP is like winning a lottery ticket.

SteelersCanada
12-30-2012, 10:05 PM
There hasn't been - and won't be for a long, long time - a Running Back prospect like Peterson in any recent drafts. The closest guy in college right now (and I'm using closest kind of fast and loose here) is TJ Yeldon from 'Bama. He won't necessarily have the yardage that AP did, but he was splitting time with Lacy and showed his exceptional play ability in the time he did play. In another two years, I wouldn't mind spending a first round pick on him - assuming we're in a position to do so. That, or spend a later-pick on Barry Sanders, Jr. I mean, he's the son of Barry Sanders - he's gotta be at least decent, right?

casteeler
12-30-2012, 10:39 PM
There hasn't been - and won't be for a long, long time - a Running Back prospect like Peterson in any recent drafts. The closest guy in college right now (and I'm using closest kind of fast and loose here) is TJ Yeldon from 'Bama. He won't necessarily have the yardage that AP did, but he was splitting time with Lacy and showed his exceptional play ability in the time he did play. In another two years, I wouldn't mind spending a first round pick on him - assuming we're in a position to do so. That, or spend a later-pick on Barry Sanders, Jr. I mean, he's the son of Barry Sanders - he's gotta be at least decent, right?

You seem to have a good grasp on college players coming out in this years draft,who would the Steelers be best bet on a Premier back? The problem I see is the offensive line,the guys can't run block to save their lives. Not an improved O-line this year but a productive starting running back is still a necessity

Hawaii 5-0
12-30-2012, 10:58 PM
There hasn't been - and won't be for a long, long time - a Running Back prospect like Peterson in any recent drafts. The closest guy in college right now (and I'm using closest kind of fast and loose here) is TJ Yeldon from 'Bama. He won't necessarily have the yardage that AP did, but he was splitting time with Lacy and showed his exceptional play ability in the time he did play. I

TJ Yeldon is the real deal, any back good enough to take carries away from Eddie Lacy as a freshman has to be a stud.

SteelersCanada
12-30-2012, 11:33 PM
You seem to have a good grasp on college players coming out in this years draft,who would the Steelers be best bet on a Premier back? The problem I see is the offensive line,the guys can't run block to save their lives. Not an improved O-line this year but a productive starting running back is still a necessity

It depends on what kind of back we're looking for. I also agree with the offensive line, but I will say when they're healthy I fully expect them to play better and be able to run the ball effectively. That being said, here are my top three Running Backs:

1. Giovani Bernard / North Carolina - 5'10 205 lbs.

- Where do I start with Giovani. He's explosive, fast, agile and quick. He can make absolutely ridiculous cuts in and out of traffic and has the ability to make guys miss, but also has the strength to run guys over. He has some of the best vision I've seen in a long, long time for a RB coming out of the collegiate level and stands out in this weaker class of RBs. Oh, and to top it all off, he has excellent hands and runs crisp routes. This gives Ben an excellent check-down option and has the ability to make plays in the flat.

2. Eddie Lacy / Alabama - 5'10 220 lbs.

- Eddie Lacy is the definition of a Power-Back. The dude is just strong. He runs with an attitude and is hard to tackle. If you throw an arm out there, there's a good chance it'll either a) bounce off and he'll laugh at you or b) break because he's so strong (not really, but you get the point). He's also fast off the line of scrimmage and also has great vision. While he won't outrun anyone in the open field, he's the kind of guy that when it's 3rd-and-3 (or less) he's getting it. Every. Time. However, he's a stiff runner and lacks the finesse and 'cutback ability'. He'll lower his pads and run you over, but he won't be able to spin around you or juke you into next week.

3. Le'Veon Bell / 6'2 244 lbs.

- Think Eddie Lacy, but with a little bit more power. He doesn't excel in speed or breakaway ability, but he'll run your ass over if you get in his way. He's a solid runner up the middle and will drag defenders with him, but if he gets in open space, he's easily caught by a Safety or Corner that will bring him down. That being said, he'll break any arm tackle that is given to him and excels in yards-after-contact. I don't think he'll ever become a franchise running back, and really only made this list because most Steelers fans love the idea of a Power-Back. I doubt he'll be drafted by Pittsburgh, but hey, I wouldn't mind him as a 'go and get the first down on 3rd-and-2' kind of running back.

4*. Marcus Lattimore / South Carolina - 6'0 230 lbs.

* Why is Lattimore asterisked you might ask? That injury he suffered to his knee. If we're able to look past the injury, he's a North-South runner. He's powerful, strong and will drag guys with him that try and tackle him at the line of scrimmage. He's also surprisingly agile for such a big guy, but that's where his ceiling in terms of agility and speed stops. He doesn't have that extra gear to shift into when he hits the secondary and won't outrun anyone in the open field. He has a surprising amount of stamina for someone his size and can stay on the field for all three downs without having to be taken off. He's the definition of a 'work-horse' 'Back and can handle - and often times excel - with a high amount of carries. He's a good running back and an even better athlete. Think Willis McGahee.

Those are my top 3 (4) that will please most of Steeler Nation. If I were Steven Colbert, though, and I'm looking at Running Backs to help turn this ship around, there's two guys I'm looking at (three if I include Giovani):

Knile Davis / Arkansas - 6'0 225 lbs.

- I want this kid. The dude is just built and sturdy. He's a work-horse, and a very, very good one at that. His initial burst reminds me a lot of Darren McFadden at the line of scrimmage and will not only punish the guys in front of him, but he'll often times just run right by them without even having to look back. While he doesn't excel with speed, he's fast enough to pull away from guys at the line of scrimmage, dodge Linebackers and DLinemen and make a play in the secondary. He won't elude anyone or make anyone miss in the open field, but shit, he'll either run right over them or use his 'second-gear' to pull away from them. He doesn't have elite hands or great catching ability, but he does have average-to-decent ball skills out of the backfield and in the flat so Ben could have a legitimate option in the check-down game to Knile. The biggest flaw in his game that I can see is his lack of blocking ability. He just can't do it yet, but Kirby can teach it and beat it into him.

Mike Gillislee / Florida - 5'11 210 lbs.

- Chris Rainey's buddy at Florida. He's fast, agile and quick. He can make guys miss or just outrun them - it's really his choice or what he feels like doing. He doesn't have great side-to-side quickness, but his vertical speed and agility makes up for it. He's not a guy to shy away from contact up the middle, either, and if he gets into the secondary, he'll just pull away and leave the Linebackers behind him thinking "where the hell..?". When given the chance to start at Florida, he excelled. He can block, he can catch, he can run up the middle or outside the tackles - there's nothing he can't do, really. I'd love a 1-2 punch of Gillislee and Rainey for this team. One can provide blocking and a sure-handed ability to run it anywhere on the field, and the other is a scat-back type of player that can provide the big play or trick play when Ben feels up to it.

If I were drafting a Running Back tomorrow, I'd take Giovani Bernard in the second round. I know I've been preaching that this class is too defense-heavy to take a Running Back so early, but this kid can solve our problems at the position in one pick.

If you need any other scouting help or my opinion on possible picks for this years draft, feel free to ask.

NSMaster56
12-31-2012, 10:29 AM
If Lattimore's knee hadn't exploded (youtube it if you're not squeamish)---twice---he'd be a nice fit.

Quackjack
12-31-2012, 10:39 AM
If Lattimore's knee hadn't exploded (youtube it if you're not squeamish)---twice---he'd be a nice fit.

That injury looked, bad, very bad, but not BAD. I say if he really is a good fit, try it.

torpedoshell31
12-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Hopefully next year we will have a stable offensive line from day one. If you have a patch work, banged up OL all year, it doesn't matter if you have Jim Brown as your RB.

NSMaster56
12-31-2012, 10:55 AM
That injury looked, bad, very bad, but not BAD.

It's up there with Thiessman and McGahee.

Quackjack
12-31-2012, 11:19 AM
It's up there with Thiessman and McGahee.

If it was Thiessman bad, he wouldn't be being drafted.

NSMaster56
12-31-2012, 11:27 AM
If it was Thiessman bad, he wouldn't be being drafted.

Touche, but he might not.

I'm pulling for the cat.