PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, Tomlin? Why even play Ben...

sexyllama
12-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Please sit all these injured players. Absolutely, NO reason for Ben to get more hurt, he hasn't looked good since his return and we are done for the year.

Even the Browns are starting their 3rd string QB.

Ricco Suavez
12-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Please sit all these injured players. Absolutely, NO reason for Ben to get more hurt, he hasn't looked good since his return and we are done for the year.

Even the Browns are starting their 3rd string QB.

I think they have no choice. If Ben is still banged up then sit as with all injured players if healthy play em.

sloppyjoe
12-28-2012, 04:35 PM
tomlin is an idiot

Buddha Bus
12-28-2012, 04:45 PM
It's not like we have a young backup QB we need to take a look at. :hunch:

Ben is cleared to play and the last thing we need is to bench him after he blew 2 consecutive games with horrible interceptions. Do we really want him going into the offseason stewing on that? It could eat away at him all offseason and shake his confidence knowing that he helped cost us a playoff spot.

I'd much rather give him the ball again and give him a chance to redeem himself in the last game of the season against a division rival. Give him a chance to go out on a high note and get his confidence back.

austinfrench76
12-28-2012, 05:11 PM
At this point we are playing for a better draft position (that's our playoffs!). All that a win accomplishes is moving us several spots on down the draft board! NO BEN PLEASE!

sexyllama
12-28-2012, 05:32 PM

Ben is cleared to play and the last thing we need is to bench him after he blew 2 consecutive games with horrible interceptions. Do we really want him going into the offseason stewing on that? It could eat away at him all offseason and shake his confidence knowing that he helped cost us a playoff spot.

I'd much rather give him the ball again and give him a chance to redeem himself in the last game of the season against a division rival. Give him a chance to go out on a high note and get his confidence back.

Do you think how we end this game changes next year? Every year is a new beginning... We'll have a few different starters, etc. so it does not matter at all.

A high note? It's the Cleveland Browns... are you for real?

-We have a hurt offensive line that has given him some serious shots of the last few weeks. One that put him out.
-He is holding onto the ball too long, taking even more risk of a big shot
-He is visibly hurt. Did you see the way he was drilling the ball short on almost every throw. He is just off.
-Last week we had a Playoff spot. This week.... Rule #1- Don't get anybody hurt.
-Any kind of major shoulder/knee, etc. and he's out next year. Not worth it either way.

steeltheone
12-28-2012, 05:49 PM
The NFL should fine any team that bench's players because they are out of it. The fans pay good money to watch these guys play and play they should!

Stu Pidasso
12-28-2012, 06:38 PM
The NFL should fine any team that bench's players because they are out of it. The fans pay good money to watch these guys play and play they should!

While I sympathize, I go to watch the Steelers, not just any one player.

Buddha Bus
12-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Do you think how we end this game changes next year? Every year is a new beginning... We'll have a few different starters, etc. so it does not matter at all.

A high note? It's the Cleveland Browns... are you for real?

-We have a hurt offensive line that has given him some serious shots of the last few weeks. One that put him out.
-He is holding onto the ball too long, taking even more risk of a big shot
-He is visibly hurt. Did you see the way he was drilling the ball short on almost every throw. He is just off.
-Last week we had a Playoff spot. This week.... Rule #1- Don't get anybody hurt.
-Any kind of major shoulder/knee, etc. and he's out next year. Not worth it either way.

All I said is that I would rather Ben be able to go out as a winner and not have his last memory of this season be 2 bad decisions that cost us the playoffs. Benching him now could hurt his confidence and maybe make him disgruntled.

To your points:

- So what's new? He's had a shaky o-line for the majority of his time here and taken more hits (and worse ones) than he has this year. His injury wasn't caused by a devastating hit, it was a fluke. This o-line has played better at times this season than at most points of Ben's tenure here.

- Once again, what's new? This has been a knock on Ben his entire career. I don't see him ever changing this style. He's stubborn and feels like he can make something out of nothing 100% of the time.

- Visibly hurt? I haven't seen him show any signs of being in pain since his return other than the occasional limp after a sack. I haven't seen him favor his shoulder or ribs at all since coming back. The injuries may be bothering him, but to say he is "visibly hurt" is false.

- "This week... Rule #1- Don't get anybody hurt."? Are you for real? That's a rule ANY week genius. A player can get hurt at any time any week. It's not like we need to save anyone for a playoff run. That's the only reason this comment would make any sense whatsoever.

- Same as above. A catastrophic injury can happen at any time and hopefully won't. I see no point in "saving guys for next year" against hypothetical serious injuries that could happen any time.

And, yes, it would be a high note to beat a long time division rival who beat us earlier this year. It's payback time. Did you even watch any of the games this year? I'm guessing no.

lardlad
12-28-2012, 10:48 PM

Exactly. You play them because that is what they are paid to do. There is no next week and I don't think another loss is going to get them to the SB in 13.

Play to win the freakin game.if the players and coaches want to lay down then don't be disappointed if no one shows up.

Lady Steel
12-29-2012, 12:06 AM
This is the Browns, people! The freakin' Browns! The Steelers division rivalry with the most history. I don't want them to sweep us. I want to beat the crap out of them! Play Ben!

lloydwoodson
12-29-2012, 12:34 AM
I would rather watch Charlie Batch win his last game as a Steeler on Sunday.

Ben isn't going to be shaken by this year you idiots. He is a complete meathead oblivious to negative criticism/failure - it is his best quality.

OX1947
12-29-2012, 12:50 AM
Because the standard is the standard and the standard says, stay standard to the standardertion of the standardness.

Lady Steel
12-29-2012, 12:55 AM
:laughing:

Stu Pidasso
12-29-2012, 01:02 AM
Because the standard is the standard and the standard says, stay standard to the standardertion of the standardness.

Post of the week.

Stangboy06
12-29-2012, 05:25 AM
What makes you think they'll win with Ben in there

Buddha Bus
12-29-2012, 07:18 AM

Ben isn't going to be shaken by this year you idiots. He is a complete meathead oblivious to negative criticism/failure - it is his best quality.

Luckily, we have a great seer and wise man such as yourself to keep us straight. :sarcasm:

Rowland2110
12-29-2012, 09:07 AM

This is BS. I dont care if you bought season tickets. There is no reason to put another human beings health at risk in a meaningless football game.

SteelerJay
12-29-2012, 10:04 AM
it may turn out that the best chance to get a better draft pick is to play Ben

TRH
12-29-2012, 10:10 AM
If anything, Haley needs to use this game to get back to "quick releases" by Ben - like we did at the beginning of the year and get away from letting Ben just sit back in the pocket and get creamed like we've been doing for the past few games.
Add to that the fact that NO other team in the NFL tries to tackle Ben "extra hard" (borderline injure...it sure seems that way to me). Have to play quick release Sunday. Can't afford a serious or career-ending injury.

Millers the sh!t
12-29-2012, 10:58 AM

Maybe, That's what Ben needs. Him healthy on the sidelines watching the third string qb play And an entire off season of him thinking about how he blew the season with his pathetic second half play. Maybe his ego needs a 6 month reality check that he ain't no stud and until he retires it ain't time to get lazy.

madtowndrunkard
12-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Do we have a better chance winning with Ben at QB? I'm not so sure.... if you want that high draft pick then maybe starting Ben is the right decision.

Batch put his heart and sole on the line in his last start....we don't need any of that on Sunday. Next thing you know we'll win the damn game. So run Ben out there and I'm sure we can manage a couple turnovers while our QB goes through the motions..thinking of his wife and kid while in the huddle.

torpedoshell31
12-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Do we have a better chance winning with Ben at QB? I'm not so sure.... if you want that high draft pick then maybe starting Ben is the right decision.

Batch put his heart and sole on the line in his last start....we don't need any of that on Sunday. Next thing you know we'll win the damn game. So run Ben out there and I'm sure we can manage a couple turnovers while our QB goes through the motions..thinking of his wife and kid while in the huddle.

Are you forgetting Charlie's last game against the Browns? 3 picks and we never had the ball inside their 30 yard line, except for a PI call for Plaxico.
This year Ben has 23 TD passes and 8 int's. Charlie has one TD pass and 4 int's. And you think Charlie gives us a better chance to win?

Millers the sh!t
12-29-2012, 01:06 PM

If I could "thank" this comment more than once, I Would.

lloydwoodson
12-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Luckily, we have a great seer and wise man such as yourself to keep us straight. :sarcasm:

Roehtlisberger threw 23 ints in 2006.

His next year was his best with 32 tds and 11 ints.

You expect me to believe your theory that Ben is going to be crippled emotionally because he threw the second fewest ints of his career?

Tomlin can do the classy thing and reward C Batch for his years of service and protect Roethlisberger from injury in a meaningless game at the same time.

Roethlisberger doesn't need more time with this offense - he was playing amazing at the BEGINNING of the season.

Bayz101
12-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Seriously?

Before Ben's injury he was being hyped up as a candidate for league MVP.

After his injury, people want him off the team and question everything from his leadership to his fatherhood. :doh:

After Ben's injury, he never regained what he had before it. Four of his eight picks came after his injury, and his statistics EVERYWHERE went south.

Get a CLUE, people.

Ben's shoulder, while fully healed, will still cause discomfort while throwing the ball. That won't go away until a month after he throws his last football. Couple that with his bad decision making after sitting on the sidelines waiting for his rib to heal and you got exactly what you saw: An out of rhythm, sore and aggravated quarterback.

If we stay healthy like any other team in the NFL serious about winning a championship, we'd be fine, but that isn't the case.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-29-2012, 07:28 PM
This is BS. I dont care if you bought season tickets. There is no reason to put another human beings health at risk in a meaningless football game.

If you really want to get philosophical; aren't all the games meaningless in the grand scheme of things?

OakmontMan
12-29-2012, 07:40 PM
If you really want to get philosophical; aren't all the games meaningless in the grand scheme of things?

There are too many that take sports more seriously than planning for their future and paying attention to the important things in life. It's a great distraction but should be only that. Kills me that Tebow gets demonized and Ben is all forgiven. Steelers deserve better.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-29-2012, 08:01 PM
There are too many that take sports more seriously than planning for their future and paying attention to the important things in life. It's a great distraction but should be only that. Kills me that Tebow gets demonized and Ben is all forgiven. Steelers deserve better.

Tebow gets demonized? I think you should try to play your "Delusions of Persecution" card elsewhere.

Tebow is the most popular guy in the media right now for doing....NOTHING. I have never seen a backup QB with the worst completion percentage in NFL history get so much attention for racking up a few wins against sub-par competition and doing some spotty commercials for God.

Everyone thinks Tebow is such a great guy-- but me personally? I think he toots his own horn far too much to exemplify the humble demeanor he advertises himself as having. Polamalu is a better example of how a Chsristian is supposed to live their life-- he does not have to use religion to make a spectacle out of himself.

Tebow is like any other celebrity-- egotistical and addicted to his own image. That's why he never pushed harder for playing time with the Jets- he knew is legendary status would be ddebunked if he had to start for a team that had no supporting cast to make up for his terrible play, like he had in Denver. He'd rather build the mysticism after-the-fact, of "how good could the Jets have been if they had started Timmy Tryhard", than to have actually been given the keys to that dumpster fire and been proven a fraud instead of "he just wins".

Look for the Tebow circus to join ranks with the Khan circus next year in Jacksonville (or whererever the Jaguars end up calling home).

OakmontMan
12-29-2012, 08:11 PM
One of those subpar teams was us in the playoffs. Don't cry that we were hurt. We're always hurt. No more than other teams but boy does the fanbase act like we're the only one's with injuries.

lardlad
12-29-2012, 09:37 PM
If Ben is cleared, he plays. If I were him, you'd better freakin believe I'd be out on the field. Not even Tomlin would stop me… he'd have to make me inactive. If Ben felt it is better to not play and watch a loss from the sideline (hell we could lose with him in the game) then he shouldn't be leading the offense.

Cripes, I hear people talk about being flat and not having fire. This is what you signed up for as an athlete in the NFL. There should be nothing short of an injury keeping you off the field, unless you are playing the following week and a win doesn't help you THIS season. You are at home, it is a division game it's the last one you'll have for a while. Nail it and remind the stains who they really are, otherwise we are the new freakin stains of the afc north. If that doesn't make you want to play to win, go the hell back home and watch like the rest of us.

lloydwoodson
12-29-2012, 09:48 PM
If the Steelers had homefield/first-round bye locked up Ben would not play because it was a meaningless game.

This is a stupid thread.

4 pages of comments over a meaningless game.

I think everyone on the side of playing Ben out of psychological necessity is a little out there.

Things being what they are Tomlin's approach will be to play Ben.

If Ben gets severely injured you are going to cry like babies about another poor Tomlin decision and you know it.

"Let's play an 80% Ben just to show those Brownstains!"

bornaSteelersfan
12-30-2012, 03:57 AM
The great thing about this game is that there is absolutely no pressure on The Steelers. That means everyone can go out and HAVE FUN! That is what the game is about so the coaches should let play whoever wants to play is what I say. Wallace can sit on his ass again. Guys want to play and earn a spot on next year's team. How will Plax earn his spot without Ben throwing to him?

therocksteeler
12-30-2012, 04:08 AM

How can a QB redeem himself when he has led his team to 2 superbowl wins with three app. Countless playoff games, coaching changes, numerous go to WR changes and he still needs redeeming? I wish Ben the best in the upcoming game along with our team. Ben is in a rough place and he knows it and doing his best be a leader good times or bad. These calls from the sideline of run, run, throw a slant out route is not going to cut it. This is not Pop Warner coaches please .... just want us to walk off the field no injuries.