PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace Has Likely Played His Last Game For The Steelers

Hawaii 5-0
12-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Mike Wallace Out For Browns Game & Has Likely Played His Last Game For The Steelers

Friday, December 28th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace will not play in the season finale against the Cleveland Browns according to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and that should not come as a big surprise.

Wallace, who has failed to practice all week because of a hip injury, will miss his first game since coming into the league and you can bet that he would have played had this been a meaningful game.

This is a business decision as Wallace will be an unrestricted free agent after the season and risking a serious injury on Sunday against the Browns would not be a wise choice for him.

Wallace will end the 2012 season with 64 catches for 836 yards and 8 touchdowns on 119 targets. His final yards per catch number will be 13.1 yards, the lowest of his four years in the league.

Wallace had a season that he surely will want to forget as it was filled with several drops and started with him holding out because he was upset with his restricted free agent status and subsequent contract negotiations. The Steelers former third-round draft pick finally reported to the team after missing all of training camp and you could tell that he was never happy all season with the way that he was used in the new offense of offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Wallace will now likely get his wish and should be able to test free agency baring the Steelers placing the franchise tag on him, which is very unlikely to happen at this point. He will command high dollars once the free agency signing period begins and last week against the Cincinnati Bengals was the last time that he will put on a Steelers uniform.

In his four seasons with the Steelers Wallace recorded 235 catches for 4,042 yards and 32 touchdowns.

With Wallace set to be inactive, Plaxico Burress is set to dress and play in his place after being inactive the last two games. Burress will also be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and this could very well be his last game in a Steelers uniform as well. Burress has caught one pass for 18 yards since being signed off the street back in late November.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12/mike-wallace-out-for-browns-game-has-likely-played-his-last-game-for-the-steelers/

Edman
12-28-2012, 04:29 PM
I'll admit I'm not sorry to hear that.

harrison'samonster
12-28-2012, 04:42 PM
yeah, as much as I've complained about his bad play this year, his upside is huge. If he isn't with the Steelers next year, I hope him the best (unless it's against us!)

Fire Arians
12-28-2012, 04:47 PM
he couldnt even reach 1000 yards this season, so much for him being elite

austinfrench76
12-28-2012, 05:10 PM
The dude will get big money from some bottom dweller, AZ, Oak, Tenn or TB. Good luck and good riddance. So dissappoinitng.

Steelers5895
12-28-2012, 05:17 PM
adios!

steelfury02
12-28-2012, 05:25 PM
He could very well end up in another AFC North, Green Bay or Patriots uniform. Buh-bye.

steeltheone
12-28-2012, 05:51 PM
This type of action hurts the integrity of the league. Wallace should refund his money made payable to the Pittsburgh Steeler Fans and be fined heavily.

VaDave
12-28-2012, 05:52 PM
I'll bet he ends up in New England. Any takers?

harrison'samonster
12-28-2012, 05:54 PM

I don't know if they have the money. I think they need to re-sign Welker. I wouldn't be surprised if they try for him though.

Edman
12-28-2012, 05:55 PM

He goes to New England, his mediocre skills (catching, route running) will come out in a big way.

nj1923steelgirl
12-28-2012, 06:31 PM
See ya Mike...dont let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out!

Stu Pidasso
12-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Mike Wallace = Santonio Holmes 2.0

We'll see him as a Jet next year.

Fire Arians
12-28-2012, 06:44 PM

not even close, santonio was clutch. mike only pulls through in garbage time.

Atlanta Dan
12-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Wallace blows off training camp and blows off the last game of the season with nothing on the line - certainly do not want to risk injury with that big payday coming up

There may be no "I" in team but there sure is an "I" in Mike Wallace

Good riddance:drink:

WVABE
12-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Hope Cothery has a big game, he deserves more playing time anyhow.

OX1947
12-28-2012, 07:37 PM

It is an insult to compare the 2. Holmes had more heart and skill then that quitter will ever have. Holmes liked the hippie lettuce and was immature, but he always showed up for Sunday. We all cant be perfect but Holmes was a stud and I still wish he was on the team.

kent
12-28-2012, 07:39 PM
So disappointing to see a player in his prime behave and perform this way. He has all the ability to be elite but his ego and lack of focus and heart get in the way. Can't say I'm glad to see him go because of his ability but it's probably for the best for the Steelers.

harrison'samonster
12-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Hope Cothery has a big game, he deserves more playing time anyhow.

It would be great to see Cotchery have a great game. I think he deserved more playing time throughout the season, he makes some pretty nice catches.

I agree Holmes was a lot better than Wallace is.

jb500ex
12-28-2012, 08:58 PM
It is an insult to compare the 2. Holmes had more heart and skill then that quitter will ever have. Holmes liked the hippie lettuce and was immature, but he always showed up for Sunday. We all cant be perfect but Holmes was a stud and I still wish he was on the team.

you apparently you havent watched holmes. the 2 dropped td's in 09 in games we lost because of it and didnt make the playoffs. his disappearing acts constantly. pulling himslef from punt return duty as a jet when the dolphin punter kept kicking it too far for him and all the bullshit last year. sanchez kicked him out of team meetings because he was such a ass starting shit with his teammates in the final game yeah thats alot of heart and soul. hes a huge piece of shit that will be cleaning windshields in 6 years

steelfury02
12-28-2012, 09:19 PM
i'd like to just get someone opposite Brown that epitomizes hard work and would really value the chance to be a Steeler over this me-me-me shit. You take care of your job and be the best you can be at it, the rest of the stuff will take care of itself. It amazes me that Wallace learned absolutely nothing from Plax and then Holmes. 3rd disappointing receiver in a decade.

If Wilson and Washington were our #3s on SB teams, I think we can win one with Cotchery getting more time while grooming a rookie. Hell - we might actually have someone with hands if he is in there. I can't stress this enough: Fight to separate and possess every single opportunity.

steeltheone
12-28-2012, 09:36 PM
It would be great to see Cotchery have a great game. I think he deserved more playing time throughout the season, he makes some pretty nice catches.

I agree Holmes was a lot better than Wallace is.

Holmes was better than Brown too

harrison'samonster
12-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Holmes was better than Brown too

agreed.

OX1947
12-28-2012, 10:18 PM
you apparently you havent watched holmes. the 2 dropped td's in 09 in games we lost because of it and didnt make the playoffs. his disappearing acts constantly. pulling himslef from punt return duty as a jet when the dolphin punter kept kicking it too far for him and all the bullshit last year. sanchez kicked him out of team meetings because he was such a ass starting shit with his teammates in the final game yeah thats alot of heart and soul. hes a huge piece of shit that will be cleaning windshields in 6 years

Hmmm, let me see your checklist here, since I have seen every Steelers game the last decade:

1. Disappearing acts constantly, pulling himself from punt return duty:

I have no clue what you are talking about. I do not remember him disappearing when it mattered and I have not a clue what you are talking about with the pulling himself from punt duty. I have watched all the games, I would have remember this if it was that bad.

2. Sanchez kicking him out of a meeting:

Are you freakin serious? Is this the same Sanchez we all know? Or is is Sanchez in a Tom Brady suit? I do not think I need to comment further on this.

3. Starting shit with his teammates:

With the Jets? the hell does that have to do with the Steelers? If I had teammates like Fart Scott and Mark Sanchez, I would start shit with them too for sucking ass. I do not remember him having fights or arguments with Hines Ward or Big Ben.

Here is my list:

Super Bowl MVP. Punt Return in the playoffs to steam the momentum SD had when they scored a TD on a long pass to go 7-0. Clutch catch and run in the AFC title game to put the Steelers ahead for good. Game winning TD to finished Bill Cowher's career off on a winning note.

Misc:

He played his arse off, blocked down field, blocked for the running backs.

I could go on, but I do not have that kind of time.

I think too many people around like to sit up on their high horses and point fingers on peoples lives as if they do not do dumb shit too. Holmes smoked weed, got into scuffles. You are telling me most guys do not do that at some point in their lives?

All I know is, when Sunday came, he balled. And he showed up in the biggest games to boot. So, there you go.

Steel Peon
12-28-2012, 10:38 PM
last week against the Cincinnati Bengals was the last time that he will put on a Steelers uniform.
And here I was hoping that game would've been last year's in Denver......oh well, anything worth waiting for, right?:tt02:

lardlad
12-28-2012, 10:57 PM
I think this was a valuable season for Wallace. I'd like to give him another chance. He did take all the criticism well and I think he grew a bit. He never threw the coaches under the bus either.

I'm not sad to see him go as much I am sad to see the talent lost. I still think he can be one of the better receivers in the league.

Good luck!

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Wallace will end the 2012 season with 64 catches for 836 yards and 8 touchdowns on 119 targets. His final yards per catch number will be 13.1 yards, the lowest of his four years in the league.

There might be a few bad throws by Ben in there, but either way, that's a lot of dropped passes.

SteelersCanada
12-28-2012, 11:45 PM
I just asked my brother if he'd want Wallace on the Pats and he said,

"Not with that shitty attitude he has. Great, he can run in straight lines and sometimes catch the ball but if you ask him to run simple routes, he can't catch shit. Let him go to Miami."

and I thought that summed up what the overall thinking in this thread is.

Lady Steel
12-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Wallace checked out a long time ago. I never thought I'd say this, but GO PLAX! :tt:

Darkstorm05
12-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Not sure why everyone thinks he'd go to the Patriots. There's no way in hell Brady is going to tolerate a receiver that can't run short routes properly and get quick separation. Really, what's one 60 yard completion every other week going to do for their team? Days when Wallace feels like making effort they'll win by 28 instead of 21?

steelerchad
12-29-2012, 12:30 AM

Santonio was much better while here than Wallace.
He came up big when it mattered, Mike's just the opposite. He disappears when it matters. And we gave that guy up for nothing. With Wallace hold out and attitude, there's no chance in hell we offer him anywhere near what he wants and we shouldn't. Unfortunately, receiver is probably back on the board for the upcoming draft. Brown and Sanders could be a solid 1,2 and Cotchery is a decent 3rd option. But in today's NFL, you need 4 or 5 guys who can play.

casteeler
12-29-2012, 12:38 AM
No surprise, The Steelers will need a BIG time offseason to improve for 2013.

steeltheone
12-29-2012, 07:42 AM
Santonio was much better while here than Wallace.
He came up big when it mattered, Mike's just the opposite. He disappears when it matters. And we gave that guy up for nothing. With Wallace hold out and attitude, there's no chance in hell we offer him anywhere near what he wants and we shouldn't. Unfortunately, receiver is probably back on the board for the upcoming draft. Brown and Sanders could be a solid 1,2 and Cotchery is a decent 3rd option. But in today's NFL, you need 4 or 5 guys who can play.

Not sure how why you expect Brown and Sanders to be a good 1-2....They are barely a good 2-3 right now.

Rowland2110
12-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Not sure how why you expect Brown and Sanders to be a good 1-2....They are barely a good 2-3 right now.

They CAN do it. If they get coached properly to their potential. They have the talent and potential they showed 2 years ago but this year is ALL on coaching imho

Justp94
12-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Honestly people? If you don't think the Steelers won't make an offer to Wallace then you're crazy. Whether it be a one-year deal to see if he can develop into a well-rounded receiver instead of just being a deep threat or a franchise tag because of the same reason. They won't just let go of one of their best receivers. Especially with the issues Sanders has been having with fumbles and lack of depth at WR without Wallace, they'll try to bring him back. If not then they're wasting a precious draft pick on a WR when it could be on a CB, D-Lineman, O-Lineman, Linebackers that we really need.

Hawaii 5-0
12-30-2012, 12:47 AM
Several longtime Steelers ponder if they're playing final game for team

Published December 28, 2012
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH – For the first time since he was taken in the third round in the 2009 draft, Mike Wallace will miss a regular-season game for the Steelers.

It might well be the first of many games Pittsburgh plays without the speedster receiver going forward.

An injury in his left hip and hamstring area will prevent Wallace from playing in the Steelers' season finale Sunday against the Cleveland Browns. He will be an unrestricted free agent, leaving his status with the team for beyond this season in question.

Wallace isn't the only veteran who might have attended his final practice as a Steelers player Friday. On the heels of a non-winning season and with salary-cap issues upcoming, Pittsburgh (7-8) has some decisions to make on several longtime stalwarts who have been tenured contributors to championship teams.

Wallace, Casey Hampton, Rashard Mendenhall, Max Starks, James Harrison, Larry Foote and Charlie Batch have a combined 59 years of service for the Steelers, 12 starts in Super Bowls for the team and 11 championship rings.

There is reason to believe the game against Cleveland (5-10) will be the final one for many in that group as part of the organization.

"I don't know who's going to be out the door or who's going to be re-signed, but it's always a business first," Foote said. "From a selfish standpoint on defense, we were No. 1 in the league — so bring us all back, keep us all. But I never know what's their plans and (general manager) Kevin Colbert can run a team better than I can."

Starks, who will start his 96th game at tackle for the Steelers on Sunday, and Hampton, the team's nose tackle for the past 12 seasons, both hinted this week they could envision playing elsewhere.

The Stealers' most recent two second-round draft picks — and rookies of the year — are tackles. That doesn't bode well for Starks, who rebounded from injury each of the past two years to become a reliable starter for the Steelers by the time the season ended.

"I think the writing's on the wall, so to speak," Starks said. "I had a great run — nine years here. I've gotten to be a part of three Super Bowl teams and got a chance to grasp two of those Lombardis, so it's an excellent career. If I have to move on, this will always be home for me."

Hines Ward wept at his retirement press conference in March when he said he couldn't envision himself in another uniform. The gregarious Hampton chuckled this week at that notion — maintaining that he'd while he'd like to stay a Steeler, he'd play elsewhere if he had to.

A 35-year-old pending free agent, there's no guarantee the team will make a strong effort to keep Hampton.

Like Hampton and Starks, Foote said on Friday that he doesn't want to be a backup. But unlike Starks and Hampton, Foote can attest to the grass not always being greener.

Foote asked out of Pittsburgh following the 2009 Super Bowl victory because he knew Lawrence Timmons was primed to take his starting right inside linebacker's job. Foote signed with his hometown Detroit Lions, who were coming off an 0-16 season.

A year later, the Lions cut him — and Foote was given a three-year deal from the Steelers. He gradually re-earned a starting job back for this season.

Foote is coming off a solid season in which he led the team in tackles. Also, the player presumably drafted this past April to replace him, Sean Spence, missed the season due to a knee injury.

"Hopefully I'm back, but you've got to approach it that way," Foote said. "Especially being long in the tooth as you say, all the older guys. That's just the nature of the game."

At 34, Harrison is an even older member of the Steelers' linebackers corps. Harrison had back and knee injuries that slowed him early this season, and he has only five sacks.

A former NFL defensive player of the year, Harrison has a projected salary-cap hit of more than $10 million next season. It's unlikely the Steelers would keep him at that number.

"Right now, I'm looking forward to finishing out, playing this game against the Browns and after that's done I'll get things together as far as looking forward to next year," Harrison said.

Mendenhall was similarly evasive when asked about his future on Friday. The former first-round pick has only 163 yards rushing in five games this season because of injury, deactivation and suspension. A pending unrestricted free agent, he is seemingly destined to be on his way out.

At 38, Batch is the NFL's oldest non-kicker, and the Steelers could elect to add some youth to the quarterback position.

It won't be age that keeps the Steelers from bringing Wallace back. Failure to come to an agreement on a new contract might, though.

Wallace held out through the entirety of Steelers' training camp in Latrobe, Pa., this summer before signing a one-year tender as a restricted free agent. He finished the year with fewer catches and receiving yards than he had in each of the previous two seasons and with a 13.1 yards-per-reception that is well below his career average.

"This year obviously didn't go exactly how I wanted it to go, but I'm happy with the start to my career and I feel like I'm on the right path to do some great things," Wallace said.

But will they take place in black-and-gold? Wallace paused when asked if he'd consider re-signing with Pittsburgh.

"I don't know. We'll see," he said. "But I've got big plans. No matter what the situation is I've definitely got big plans for myself and my family."

Like several other Steelers after a rare non-winning season, those plans just might not include Pittsburgh.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/12/28/several-longtime-steelers-ponder-if-theyre-playing-final-game-for-team/#ixzz2GVWljoSE

Darkstorm05
12-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Honestly people? If you don't think the Steelers won't make an offer to Wallace then you're crazy. Whether it be a one-year deal to see if he can develop into a well-rounded receiver instead of just being a deep threat or a franchise tag because of the same reason. They won't just let go of one of their best receivers. Especially with the issues Sanders has been having with fumbles and lack of depth at WR without Wallace, they'll try to bring him back. If not then they're wasting a precious draft pick on a WR when it could be on a CB, D-Lineman, O-Lineman, Linebackers that we really need.

Yes, we'll make him an offer, obviously. But we already made him a "Final Offer", and he held out over it. He then proceeded to have the worst season of his career. So I really doubt our offer went up based on his shitty attitude and lack of performance. Unless he's looking to knock about 4 mil a year off his price tag, he isn't coming back here. I give it 50% at this point. I fully expect him to try and get better pay elsewhere, but end up here for the same price we gave Brown, because nobody else is going to pay for a guy doing as dismal as Wallace did.

steelfury02
12-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Yes, we'll make him an offer, obviously. But we already made him a "Final Offer", and he held out over it. He then proceeded to have the worst season of his career. So I really doubt our offer went up based on his shitty attitude and lack of performance. Unless he's looking to knock about 4 mil a year off his price tag, he isn't coming back here. I give it 50% at this point. I fully expect him to try and get better pay elsewhere, but end up here for the same price we gave Brown, because nobody else is going to pay for a guy doing as dismal as Wallace did.

I'd only keep him for the tune of 3 yr, 16.5 mil, 6 -8 mil up front

OX1947
12-30-2012, 01:50 AM
I'd only keep him for the tune of 3 yr, 16.5 mil, 6 -8 mil up front

You never keep cancers on your team. If the Steelers traded Holmes, whom they traded up for, won SB MVP, and was big in big games for a bucket of used replica jersey's, There isn't a chance they keep a guy who completely sabotaged an entire offense with his half ass play and zero effort game in and game out. He played scared all year and it cost the Steelers games. Same with Mendenhall, his bullshit killed any chance of a consistent threat in the back field. We could have used him in those games Ben was out and especially in the last two games.

Darkstorm05
12-30-2012, 01:55 AM
You never keep cancers on your team. If the Steelers traded Holmes, whom they traded up for, won SB MVP, and was big in big games for a bucket of used replica jersey's, There isn't a chance they keep a guy who completely sabotaged an entire offense with his half ass play and zero effort game in and game out. He played scared all year and it cost the Steelers games. Same with Mendenhall, his bullshit killed any chance of a consistent threat in the back field. We could have used him in those games Ben was out and especially in the last two games.

Character concerns are no longer an instant trip out of town, if they ever truly were. Ta'Amu destroyed half the South Side in drunken fury and just got called up to the active roster. All Wallace did was slacked off...didn't even cause any property damage.

OX1947
12-30-2012, 02:05 AM
Character concerns are no longer an instant trip out of town, if they ever truly were. Ta'Amu destroyed half the South Side in drunken fury and just got called up to the active roster. All Wallace did was slacked off...didn't even cause any property damage.

Apples and coconuts. Wallace is a bitch and deserves to go play in AZ or KC so he can make his money and be a bitch there. I have a little more leeway with Mendy if I had to make a decision, but Walllace is a coward and clown to me.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-30-2012, 02:12 AM
My guess is Miami. They have lots of cap room and need a top-flight WR.

pittpete
12-30-2012, 03:02 AM
My guess is Miami. They have lots of cap room and need a top-flight WR.

So why would Miami sign Wallace?:toofunny:

steve314
12-30-2012, 06:21 AM
not even close, santonio was clutch. mike only pulls through in garbage time.

'09 vs Green Bay. That was a while ago, though.

GoFor7
12-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Apples and coconuts. Wallace is a bitch and deserves to go play in AZ or KC so he can make his money and be a bitch there. I have a little more leeway with Mendy if I had to make a decision, but Walllace is a coward and clown to me.

Despite his problems this year, he was still the most productive of all the WRs.

Eztarget
12-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Wallace would be a perfect compliment receiver if we had a BIG strong receiver on the other side. Wallace is the guy that stretches the field and opens up passing lanes for other receivers. He's not a legit #1 receiver because outside of his speed he can't win any battles for balls.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Last I checked we GAVE Brown 5 year 42.5 and he had 765 yards and 4 tds? Highest paid WR on the team.

Yet Wallaces sucks and should go? It will not get any better next year without another top WR. Ben wasnt exactly spot on with his passes, and Haleys play calling absolutely sucked right through the last snap. Perhaps everyone needs to go?

GoFor7
12-30-2012, 05:35 PM
They need to find a way to keep Wallace. As much as some of you hope, no scrub from the practice squad is going to replace him.

lloydwoodson
12-31-2012, 02:31 AM
They need to find a way to keep Wallace. As much as some of you hope, no scrub from the practice squad is going to replace him.

I agree. Wallace needs to step up though and the front office should feel that he is committed to improvement.

Hawaii 5-0
01-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Wide receiver reflects on 2012 season

By F. Dale Lolley
published jan 1, 2013

http://ORweb.SX2.atl.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=OR&Date=20130101&Category=SPORTS0403&ArtNo=130109941&Ref=AR&q=100&maxw=550&maxh=500

Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace hauls in a touchdown pass in front of San Diego Chargers inside linebacker Takeo Spikes during Pittsburgh’s 34-24 loss to San Diego in December. Wallace will become an unrestricted free agent in March.

PITTSBURGH – Mike Wallace admits his attitude during the Steelers’ recently completed 2012 season probably wasn’t what it should have been.

But the 2011 Pro Bowl wideout also wouldn’t change how he handled his contract negotiations, a situation that included a lengthy holdout in training camp when he refused to sign the team’s tender offer.

“I’m not in a habit of going back and saying what should have happened. I did what I did. I can’t change that,” said Wallace, who will become an unrestricted free agent March 12 when the 2013 NFL season officially begins.

“I definitely wish things would have been better. But I wouldn’t change anything I did.”

Wallace was a restricted free agent following the 2011 season and the Steelers placed a $2.7 million tender offer on him. Had he signed with another team, the Steelers would have had the right to match the deal or receive a first-round draft pick in return.

When Wallace refused to sign the tender and did not report to training camp, the Steelers signed fellow wide receiver Antonio Brown to a six-year, $42-million contract extension.

Wallace did not report and sign his contract until just before the 2012 season began, a situation that made it difficult for him to pick up new coordinator Todd Haley’s offense.

Wallace sat out the Steelers’ season-ending 24-10 win over Cleveland with a hip injury, the first game he’s missed in his career. He admits that he struggled with the transition from Bruce Arians’ vertical passing attack to the one used by Haley, which included more short throws in an effort to protect quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

“My role has always been a certain role since I’ve been here, and it changed this year,” Wallace said. “I wasn’t in training camp, so I didn’t really know how the role was going to change. It did change. You’ve got to adjust to it.”

While his touchdown total of eight was the same number he scored in 2011, Wallace saw his receptions dip from 72 to 64 and his yards per catch fall to 13.1 – still a healthy average, but well below his career mark of 17.2.

Wallace’s frustration was apparent to his teammates.

“We wasted a lot of energy worrying about things that were out of our control, pointing a finger here, pointing a finger there,” said Brown, while not specifically naming Wallace. “People mad here. People mad there. And as a team collectively you can’t have that.”

Wallace said he learned from the situation.

“Next year, I’ll definitely have a positive attitude going into it and make the best of the situation and make it a good fit for me, even if I feel it’s not,” he said.

But is Haley’s ball-control offense a good fit for Wallace?

Head coach Mike Tomlin said Monday he thinks it is. Wallace isn’t quite so sure.

“It’s a decent fit. I think it could be (a good fit) if I have a better mindset going into it, knowing my role exactly going into it before the season now having been in it a whole year, I think it could be a good fit,” Wallace said. “We just have to make some adjustments in this offense. When you’ve never been in it and you just come into it, it’s a little different. Hopefully, if I’m here, I’ll figure it out.”

Despite everything that occurred in 2012, Wallace would still like to return to Pittsburgh.

“This is where I’ve been at the whole time. I don’t know anything else. I’d love to be here,” Wallace said. “I love my teammates, love my coaches, so it could definitely be the best situation for me, but we’ll know in two or three months.

“I just want to be a in good situation, a good fit for myself, no matter if it’s here or somewhere else. I just want to be in a good situation. Money is not really the problem.”

http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20130101/SPORTS0403/130109941#.UOSNuc2aLO9

pete74
01-02-2013, 04:06 PM
I'm one of the few members that hope we sign Wallace for around the same amount Brown got but if we're not going to let him utilize his greatest strength which is the deep ball then we may as well drop him.

SteelersCanada
01-02-2013, 04:21 PM

As much as I love Wallace, there's better overall receivers in this draft than Wallace. Sure, speed kills, but he seemed to lose his hands over the course of this year and that can't happen. Guys like Patterson, Woods, Rogers and Patton are all better receivers than Wallace and they haven't played a down of NFL football. They're better route runners and have reliable hands but don't have the blinding speed that Wallace does which is made up for by the fact that all of them (save for Patterson) were doubled a lot of the time but found a way to get open.

We don't need Wallace as badly as we think we do, especially if he's going to continue to drop balls and under achieve.

Also, those commenting about Brown having a low TD count - he wasn't the redzone target. Heath and Wallace were the redzone priorities and, well, you can't cover Heath in the redzone so throwing to AB become unnecessary. He didn't have any long TDs because our offense is 'dink and dunk', which most of you are loving. So, you can't have it both ways. Either we open up our book and use our receivers effectively and for the reasons why they were drafted, or we continue to do this bullshit variation of a West Coast offense and waste the receiving talent we have.

mikegrimey
01-02-2013, 06:36 PM
If Wallace is done w the steelers Ill be sad to see him go. He was a awesome addition, came to us and started making plays in the midst of the Limas Sweed debacle (people acting like Wallace can't catch a pass should be forced to watch the game we played in Cincinnati in 09)
Sure he fell off a bit the last year.5, and he did some douchey stuff on the field (I remember him saying Fuck you to a broncos fan after rushing for a td in last years playoff game where he also had a big drop) but he made a lot more plays for us than he missed. For a 3rd pick, he's been awesome for us.

All that said, if he departs that'll knock us down another playmaker, with Miller already looking to be iffy for next season, losing Wallace could hurt more than we think. Remember what happened to SD and Rivers when they started losing playmakers and couldn't run the ball at all (like us). Not saying it'll definitely happen, but it's a concern

pete74
01-02-2013, 06:37 PM
As much as I love Wallace, there's better overall receivers in this draft than Wallace. Sure, speed kills, but he seemed to lose his hands over the course of this year and that can't happen. Guys like Patterson, Woods, Rogers and Patton are all better receivers than Wallace and they haven't played a down of NFL football. They're better route runners and have reliable hands but don't have the blinding speed that Wallace does which is made up for by the fact that all of them (save for Patterson) were doubled a lot of the time but found a way to get open.

We don't need Wallace as badly as we think we do, especially if he's going to continue to drop balls and under achieve.

Also, those commenting about Brown having a low TD count - he wasn't the redzone target. Heath and Wallace were the redzone priorities and, well, you can't cover Heath in the redzone so throwing to AB become unnecessary. He didn't have any long TDs because our offense is 'dink and dunk', which most of you are loving. So, you can't have it both ways. Either we open up our book and use our receivers effectively and for the reasons why they were drafted, or we continue to do this bullshit variation of a West Coast offense and waste the receiving talent we have.

Remember how excited everyone was for Lima Sweed? You can't say that any college reciever is better then Wallace because you have no clue how they will play in the NFL. There are many, many player every year who excel in college then are busts in the NFL

GoFor7
01-02-2013, 06:44 PM

I don't argue that there are capable deep threat WRs in the draft. The issue is that the Steelers need to spent much of their draft picks on defense this year. If they do spend some picks on offense (RB and deep threat WR), then that could leave the defense somewhat shorthanded. If the Steelers were willing to change their offensive philosophies from ball control to scoring then it might work out, but don't hold your breath that would happen.

Steel Peon
01-04-2013, 02:11 PM
“I think it could be (a good fit) if I have a better mindset going into it, knowing my role exactly going into it before the season now having been in it a whole year, I think it could be a good fit,” Wallace said. “We just have to make some adjustments in this offense. When you’ve never been in it and you just come into it, it’s a little different. Hopefully, if I’m here, I’ll figure it out.”
You wanna know what your fucking role is Mike, you tard? How about "Catch the fucking ball." Can you manage that you dumbshit?! You say the offense needs to make adjustments? What, like adjusting your head out of your ass? You were targeted plenty and you dropped the ball half the time, so STFU and catch the damn thing. And I already know it's too much to ask you to break a few tackles, or even make a tackle, so I won't even waste my time with all that shit. All of your excuses are bullshit.
"I just want to be in a good situation. Money is not really the problem.”
Again with the bullshit Mike! You were offered a contract and you turned it down, so that's on you Mr. Primadonna. I'm going to have a fucking party the day you're gone.

lloydwoodson
01-04-2013, 10:00 PM

The dink and dunk is to make up for the inability to run the ball behind a damaged OL. OL was running well until Adams and Colon got hurt.

Pittsburgh ran for 1537 yards that is terrible. They received 640 yards out of the backfield on 79 catches good for a 8.1 avg. That combines for 2177 yards so it is not as bad.

Redman had a lot of production catching the ball. Taking one of those "dink and dunk" passes 55 yards. Redman averaged more YPC than anyone on the team with 12.8!

So don't go crying and bitching about "dink and dunk" because Ben doesn't like it. Wahhhhhhhhh.

It was necessary.

Brown doesn't get TDs because he isn't looked to in the red zone.

Barry Sanders was the best RB ever. He rushed for 37 TDs in his last year of college. He had 4 1000 yard seasons with fewer than 10 tds. Why? Because Fontes was a dumbass. Barry didn't care as long as the offense was scoring he didn't need to for his own ego.

Not saying AB is BS but whose number gets called makes a big difference.

AB is a valuable part of the offense but is not a big red zone target. Doesn't mean he can't be a #1 WR.

kan_t
01-05-2013, 03:56 AM
Last I checked we GAVE Brown 5 year 42.5 and he had 765 yards and 4 tds? Highest paid WR on the team.

Yet Wallaces sucks and should go? It will not get any better next year without another top WR. Ben wasnt exactly spot on with his passes, and Haleys play calling absolutely sucked right through the last snap. Perhaps everyone needs to go?
Brown is the highest paid WR on the team. But the Steelers are paying him No.2 WR money and he did play like a No.2. I don't think Wallace sucks. He would still be the best WR on the team if he returns. I just think that the Steelers couldn't afford him.

DanRooney
01-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Going to be a mistake in the long run.

Hope we keep Plax though.

austinfrench76
01-06-2013, 08:50 PM
The problem with keeping Plax is that we rarely dress a 4th WR and if they do he has to play Special Teams. Plax doesn't so he will be at a disadvantage. Brown, Sanders and Cotchery are a good not great starting 3. The problem is no true #1. Plax unfortunately doesn't solve that problem for us. No way would I pay Wallace what he was asking for. Unless something has changed, he is definitely gone.

Set-Man
01-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Sorry Wallace doesn't deserve the contract he looking for. He drops the ball way too much.

steeltheone
01-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Sorry Wallace doesn't deserve the contract he looking for. He drops the ball way too much.

Yes, we already paid another guy to much. lets hope he bounces back next year!

kan_t
01-06-2013, 10:36 PM
The problem with keeping Plax is that we rarely dress a 4th WR and if they do he has to play Special Teams. Plax doesn't so he will be at a disadvantage. Brown, Sanders and Cotchery are a good not great starting 3. The problem is no true #1. Plax unfortunately doesn't solve that problem for us. No way would I pay Wallace what he was asking for. Unless something has changed, he is definitely gone.
Plax may not solve all the problems, but he sure gives the team a big target in red zone and third down. That's valuable especially when you consider the uncertainty of Heath Miller's health.

DanRooney
01-07-2013, 05:38 AM
You guys have a short term memory.

Wallace had a bad year. Nevermind that his first 3 years pretty much broke records for a young receiver.

Nevermind how many TDs he scores.

Losing Wallace will hurt us unless we can find a replacement in the draft. Brown and Sanders are not going to get it done as the #1 and #2.

steeltheone
01-07-2013, 06:37 AM

Wallace had a bad year. Nevermind that his first 3 years pretty much broke records for a young receiver.

Losing Wallace will hurt us unless we can find a replacement in the draft. Brown and Sanders are not going to get it done as the #1 and #2.

Hell no, Sanders struggles to be a 3.

steelerchad
01-07-2013, 08:42 AM
with both Wallace and Mendy having subpar contract years, I could see both being back potentially.
Mike will not get the payday he's looking for now. He wanted $10-$11M/yr and that is likely out the window. Although, I do think there's a chance someone will still overpay for his speed in the $9-$10M range.
If he doesn't get the offer, I would gladly have Mike back in the $8M/yr range.

Mike had a bad year. Doesn't mean he can't get back to where he was. He's done it before, so he can do it again. Get his head straight, get to camp on time, work his butt off.

For Mendy, I 'm not sure what his market value is. RB's are relatively cheap and they don't last long. So even 4 years of wear on a guy coming off a knee injury last season who didn't show he was all the way back like AP is probably concerning for most teams. Couple that with the fact of how many teams would Mendy really be an upgrade for at RB and I think we could end up having him back relatively cheap.
Even though I wish he would just shut up and play, he's still our most talented back.

kan_t
01-07-2013, 11:18 AM

I agree that Wallace is very underrated here. He may be a one trick pony but his trick is just so good that the opponents' defensive scheme always needs to take him into account. It's huge advantage to the Steelers offense and it helps to open up Brown and Sanders.

I want him to stay but I just don't see it. The cap doesn't work.

Hawaii 5-0
01-07-2013, 12:37 PM
I agree that Wallace is very underrated here. He may be a one trick pony but his trick is just so good that the opponents' defense scheme always needs to take him into account. It's huge advantage to the Steelers offense and it helps to open up Brown and Sanders.

I want him to stay but I just don't see it. The cap doesn't work.

I just can't see us re-signing Wallace either, especially not with Keenan Lewis being a higher priority in my opinion.

tanda10506
01-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Brown is locked in, we have Cotchery and Burress (likely), and we have depth at TE, so let Wallace walk. Good riddance! I won't miss his fumbles or his ridiculous amounts of drops. I don't care if he goes to NE or BAL, or anywhere for that matter, I just don't want to see him there. We already over paid Brown, and Brown is a better WR then Wallace.

Brown is a real #2 WR, and a damn good one. Burress creates mismatch's with his size and Cotchery is a route runner with great hands. We also have Miller and Pope at TE. All we need to do is keep the vets signed for the upcoming year or two, draft a real #1, and let Wallace and Sanders walk.

steelerchad
01-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Brown is locked in, we have Cotchery and Burress (likely), and we have depth at TE, so let Wallace walk. Good riddance! I won't miss his fumbles or his ridiculous amounts of drops. I don't care if he goes to NE or BAL, or anywhere for that matter, I just don't want to see him there. We already over paid Brown, and Brown is a better WR then Wallace.

Brown is a real #2 WR, and a damn good one. Burress creates mismatch's with his size and Cotchery is a route runner with great hands. We also have Miller and Pope at TE. All we need to do is keep the vets signed for the upcoming year or two, draft a real #1, and let Wallace and Sanders walk.

I wouldn't give up on Sanders or Wallace quite yet.
I think the young guys got a little full of themselves after Hines left. They needed a real pro to keep them in check. The Young Money crew basically sucked as a group this year. The talent is their, they just need some focus.

tanda10506
01-07-2013, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't give up on Sanders or Wallace quite yet.
I think the young guys got a little full of themselves after Hines left. They needed a real pro to keep them in check. The Young Money crew basically sucked as a group this year. The talent is their, they just need some focus.

I understand what your saying, but Wallace was like this the entire second half of last year when Hines was there. He's had plenty of time.

This Young Money crew stuff is ridiculous

Steel Peon
01-07-2013, 10:07 PM
I just can't see us re-signing Wallace either, especially not with Keenan Lewis being a higher priority in my opinion.

Here's a point I can get behind.

DanRooney
01-07-2013, 10:12 PM
You're not going to just draft a #1 WR to unseat Brown and Sanders. It's highly doubtful we draft a wideout earlier than round 3 seeing we have immediate needs at OLB, ILB, CB and safety.

Don't worry about Keenan Lewis. He's an tad bit better than average corner that we'll likely overpay (seems to be the trend lately) but should sign relatively cheap.

Hawaii 5-0
01-15-2013, 11:53 PM
A wide array of issues for Steelers at receiver

By Alan Robinson
Published: Tuesday, January 15, 2013

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=tDGP$ YqTZdJ_XO4BAnuu$M$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuNFUjOrGc5e1d _ZiP786$BWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace catches a touchdown pass between his legs against the Chiefs this season at Heinz Field

2013 Steelers‘ trouble spot: Wide receiver

2012 Starters: Mike Wallace (4th season), Antonio Brown (3rd season).

2012 Backups: Emmanuel Sanders (3rd season), Jerricho Cotchery (9th season).

Analysis: The only player who ramped up his production was Emmanuel Sanders, who doubled his catches from a season ago (22 to 44) but also was on the field nearly twice as much as in 2011. Mike Wallace played more than any receiver (852 snaps), but his numbers were down across the board from 2011. While his holdout might not have affected his production, it set a non-positive tone for the season. Antonio Brown, given a $42.5 million contract in training camp despite having only two career touchdown catches, made five TD receptions but didn‘t replicate his 2011 Pro Bowl season. Even with the change in offensive coordinators from Bruce Arians to Todd Haley and his controlled passing offense, it wasn‘t what the Steelers wanted and needed from a position of perceived strength.

Most likely departure: Wallace, a free agent.

Possible early-round draft picks: Tavon Austin, West Virginia; Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech; Justin Hunter, Tennessee; Keenan Allen, California.

Possible free agents: Danario Alexander, Chargers; Brian Hartline, Dolphins.

Uh oh.

The position the Steelers were least worried about heading into the 2012 season might be the one that concerns them most going in 2013.

Even as big-play wide receiver Mike Wallace held out during training camp, Antonio Brown signed a $42.5 million contract and Emmanuel Sanders looked like a starter in waiting. Possession receiver Jerricho Cotchery added depth and a valuable third-down option.

All Ben Roethlisberger and Todd Haley needed to do was decide how to spread out all the receptions and all the yardage.

“(Early in the season) we had everything we wanted,” Cotchery said. “We were moving the ball so well. We were growing.”

Fumbles, close losses, injuries and the lack of a running game conspired to ruin all that September optimism.

Wallace didn‘t play like a receiver in a contract year — it didn‘t help that the deep ball was ignored game after game — and Roethlisberger‘s three-game midseason injury layoff proved to be the undoing of a season.

“There‘s a lot of stuff that‘s going to come from this,” Brown said of the Steelers‘ 8-8 season. “A lot of learning.”

And a good bit of rebuilding.

Wallace seems likely to leave via free agency in two months, creating a major void in an offense that must replace the 235 passes he caught and 32 touchdowns he produced over the past four seasons. And, likely, an expensive void to fill.

Despite Wallace‘s downslide this season — he graded out among the NFL‘s top 15 receivers in 2011 but in the bottom 15 this season, based on Pro Football Focus‘ play-by-play analytical breakdown — it might not be easy to replace what arguably was the fastest wide receiver in Steelers history.

“I think one of the things that probably hurt them was that Wallace was one of those guys who didn‘t understand that this is a business,” said former Cowboys personnel chief Gil Brandt, now a SiriusXM NFL Radio analyst. “They paid him for what he did this year, and he kind of played mad at the team and organization.”

The Steelers ended up paying Brown approximately the amount of money they intended to pay Wallace, but he didn‘t exactly play like a No. 1 receiver, either. Brown‘s own three-game injury absence (high-ankle sprain) set him back as he failed to duplicate his team MVP season of 2011, when he was a 1,000-yard receiver and kick returner.

Brown caught nearly as many passes (66) as he did the season before (69), but his yardage dropped from 1,108 to 787 and his punt return average declined from 10.8 yards to 6.8. He also badly hurt the Steelers with second-half fumbles that ended up being the pivotal plays during road losses to the Raiders and Cowboys.

Brown is known to work relentlessly on his conditioning, but he realizes other aspects of his game need polishing before next season, when he might be the team‘s unquestioned No. 1 receiver.

“A point of emphasis for me will be protecting the ball better, becoming a better route receiver and a better return man,” Brown said.

Even if the Steelers decide Sanders can replace Wallace as a starter — Sanders had only two games of 60 yards receiving or more — they must find someone to replace a No. 3/slot receiver who was on the field for 740 snaps.

There might not be an affordable replacement on the free-agent market, which means a suddenly thin position depth-wise might have been to addressed multiple times in the draft — and in a year when the Steelers have numerous pressing needs.

“Wide receiver becomes an issue for them,” said former NFL general manager Charley Casserly, now an NFL Network analyst.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3299818-74/season-receiver-steelers#ixzz2I6htshJu

Hawaii 5-0
01-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Mike Wallace: Whose Money Should Steelers Receiver Get?

BY PETE MARTIN (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON JANUARY 18, 2013

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/107/087/hi-res-155789704_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

If Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Mike Wallace isn’t worth “Larry Fitzgerald” money, then how much should the free-agent-to-be get in a new contract? How much is he really worth? The answers the team comes up with will define the 2013 offseason and may change the course of the upcoming campaign.

The Steelers wideout made headlines during the 2012 offseason when he demanded a contract on par with the one Fitzgerald signed with Arizona in 2011 that pays the Cardinals star $16 million per year. Wallace’s comments signaled that the Steelers receiver expected a similarly huge deal from any team looking to sign him.

Very few seemed to agree with Wallace’s perception of himself. The Steelers were clearly not impressed enough by the receiver’s estimation of his abilities to sit down at the table with the then-restricted free agent. Instead of negotiating, the team tendered Wallace and decided to revisit the issue when he became an unrestricted free agent after the 2012 season.

Though Wallace’s contention that his play has been on par with that of Fitzgerald’s seems all the more ludicrous following a 2012 campaign that saw him finish well outside the top 25 in most receiving categories, that he said it is understandable in the broader context. NFL players do not exist in a vacuum. Teams and fans can quantify a player’s performance independent of what his peers do, but cannot qualify it without stacking it beside others at his position. Without context, there are no rankings. Without rankings, every contract would look the same.

The problem with what Wallace said wasn’t that he said it. He and his agent were simply trying to frame the upcoming negotiations in a way that was favorable to their interests. In rejecting his demands, the team was doing the same.

Wallace’s error was that he picked a player who simply isn’t his peer in any sense of the word.

It’s not just that Fitzgerald was better when he was Wallace’s age. He was, of course. From age 23 to 26, the Cardinals receiver’s average Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement (DYAR), which measures a player’s cumulative value over that of a league-average replacement, was 311 per year. Since joining the league four years ago at age 23, Wallace average DYAR has been 261. Part of this difference can be explained by usage. Fitzgerald got about 50 percent more targets than the Steelers receiver during those four years.

It’s also not simply that Fitzgerald was more consistent than the Steelers wideout during his early years. Though he was that as well. The average deviation of Fitzgerald’s DYAR from its mean was 120 yards less than Wallace’s, meaning his performances between the ages of 23 and 26 were far more predictably excellent. Not surprisingly, the Cardinals star never had a season during that period like Wallace did last year, when the Steelers receiver’s DYAR was -49.

No, what really makes the comparison silly, regardless of the differences in output, is the fact that the two just bring very different things to the table. At risk of using a cliché, they are like apples and oranges.

Even if Wallace had had as many targets as Fitzgerald did at his age, his numbers and his impact on the game would still be completely different. The Cardinals receiver is big and physical, a nightmare matchup for smaller cornerbacks. His Steelers counterpart is lankier but possesses game-breaking speed that Fitzgerald doesn’t have. The likes of Fitzgerald will always have more catches, but the Wallaces of the NFL will pile up more yards if given the same number of touches.

So if not to Fitzgerald, then to whom should Wallace be compared? Like the Cardinals receiver, Roddy White, Brandon Marshall and Calvin Johnson are significantly bigger and more physical than the Steelers wideout, but lack his flat-out speed on deep routes. Also like Fitzgerald, they get a lot more usage than Wallace. For example, the percentage of the Bears’ passes that went to Marshall was twice as high as the Steelers receiver’s share of his team’s throws in 2012.

Receivers like Marques Colston of the Saints are also bad comparisons, as Wallace is not a similarly effective jump-ball target in the red zone. Measuring Wallace against wideouts like Wes Welker also doesn’t work. The latter is short, quick and adept at catching passes from the slot position, none of which describes the Steelers receiver.

From the Steelers’ perspective, the most preferable point of comparison for the purpose of negotiating is probably DeSean Jackson. The Eagles' deep threat signed a contract before the 2012 season that pays him a much more palatable $9.4 million per year. Convincing Wallace that his skills most closely match those of Jackson’s would allow the Steelers to offer their wideout a contract that would not completely destroy their somewhat delicate 2013 salary cap situation.

Jackson is one of the few players in the NFL with Wallace’s ability to get behind safeties and to change the course of a game in a single play. Not surprisingly, his numbers between the age of 23 and 26 are reasonably similar to Wallace’s. The Eagles receiver caught 212 balls for 3873 yards and 21 touchdowns. He averaged 18.2 yards per catch, and 3.9 receptions and 70.4 yards per game.

In his first four years in the league, Wallace amassed 235 catches for 4042 total yards and 32 touchdowns. He averaged 17.2 yards per reception, and 3.7 catches and 64.2 yards per game.

Wallace could and probably will argue, however, that he is a more complete receiver than Jackson. Though the percentage of their targets that came on deep routes was about the same from 2009 to 2012 (37.9 percent for Wallace and 38.3 for Jackson), the Steelers receiver’s proportion of deep balls has decreased from around 50 percent to approximately 30 as his role in Pittsburgh’s offense has increased. By comparison, Jackson’s has varied little, meaning he remains something of a one-trick pony.

Pittsburgh’s deep threat could and probably will also contend that this broader skill set has made him more demonstrably valuable than Jackson. The numbers back this up as well. The latter’s average DYAR from 2009 to 2012 was only 115, despite the fact that the Eagles receiver averaged nearly a full target more per game than Wallace.

A better comparison from Wallace’s point of view would probably be to another Jackson: Vincent of the Buccaneers. Though considerably bigger than his Steelers counterpart, the veteran wideout has a similar ability to stretch defenses on deep routes. More importantly from Wallace’s perspective, though, the other Jackson signed a deal with Tampa Bay before the 2012 season that pays the former Chargers receiver $11 million per year.

Interestingly, Vincent Jackson was the amended comparison Wallace hurriedly offered after his “Larry Fitzgerald” money comments fell so flat. Perhaps the Steelers wideout and his team got advice from a statistician, because the two receivers match up pretty well when it comes to their numbers.

From age 23 to 26, Jackson caught 195 passes for 3341 yards and 25 touchdowns. Though this is a fair bit less than Wallace’s output at the same ages, the then Chargers wideout’s yards per reception were 17.1, or nearly exactly the same as the Steelers receiver’s. This indicates that the difference in absolute output was almost entirely due to usage, as Jackson averaged about a full target less per game early in his career (5.4 to 6.4).

If the same number of throws had come their way during those four-year periods, their numbers would have been nearly identical. If both had averaged six targets per game, Wallace would have caught 220 passes for 3782 yards and 30 touchdowns. Jackson would have had 216 catches for 3693 yards and 28 touchdowns. Under that scenario, Wallace would have averaged 3.46 receptions and 60.1 yards per game, and Jackson 3.42 and 58.6.

Further evidence of the similarity between the two receivers is their respective average DYAR over the four years in question. At 240, Jackson’s was just 21 yards less than Wallace’s. And both were nearly equally inconsistent. The average deviation of Jackson’s from its mean was 177, while Wallace’s was 168, meaning they had similar swings in performance from year to year.

Wallace could further argue that at 27, he will be younger than Jackson was (29) when the latter played the first year of his big new contract. This means that the Steelers (or whichever team it is that signs Wallace) theoretically will get more good years out of the deal than the Buccaneers will get out of Jackson’s.

Pittsburgh, of course, could counter that the extra years of high-quality performance are what justified Jackson’s huge deal in the first place and that Wallace’s subpar 2012 is an indication that he is nothing more than a flash in the pan who will never again reach the lofty heights of his second and third seasons.

So, is Wallace DeSean Jackson or Vincent Jackson? Impossible to know at this point. And that's what makes contract negotiations so interesting.

Any team that signs Wallace won’t be paying Wallace for what he did over the past four years. At least, that's what the organization hopes. Instead, his present or future employer will be compensating him for his performance during the years to come.

While Larry Fitzgerald’s, DeSean Jackson’s or Vincent Jackson’s output in the initial seasons of their new contracts might give some indication of what Wallace could do under a new deal of his own, the reality is that no one knows. He might have a year for the ages, or he might blow out his knee and retire from football.

And so the comparisons, though interesting to debate, are only useful as far as they set a range of expected outcomes for Wallace’s performances during the life of a future contract. They allow teams and fans to discard the idea that he’s the next Larry Fitzgerald, but whether he’s an occasional game-breaker like DeSean Jackson or a more versatile weapon capable of putting up numbers into his 30s like Vincent Jackson remains to be seen.

If the Steelers choose to re-sign Wallace, hopefully they'll get Vincent at less than DeSean's price.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1490311-mike-wallace-whose-money-should-steelers-receiver-get?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pittsburgh-steelers

maddog78
01-18-2013, 11:39 PM
Because the Colts and Dolphins have $40m+ in cap space. He's going to get paid, and not in Pittsburgh.

Steel Peon
01-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Good write up, with numbers that I never could've had the time or knowledge to research. And, I guess when it comes down to it, DeSean or Vincent Jackson don't strike me as players who are on the verge of leading their respective teams to a championship either.

pete74
01-19-2013, 04:52 AM
For 11 million a year I would let wallace walk. Vincent Jackson is a bigger more physical reciever who I consider better then Wallace. Anything more then 9million a year is to much in my view

kan_t
01-19-2013, 05:10 AM
For 11 million a year I would let wallace walk. Vincent Jackson is a bigger more physical reciever who I consider better then Wallace. Anything more then 9million a year is to much in my view
I agree that Vincent Jackson is a better WR. He is more physical and can run better route. But even Wallace agrees to $9M a year, I'm not sure the Steelers can afford it, given their cap situation.

Hawaii 5-0
01-21-2013, 12:20 AM
Steelers To Take A Wide Receiver In The First Round?

Sunday, January 20th, 2013
By Jeremy Hritz

The Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver position, one that was thought to be a tremendous strength and one of the best in the league at the beginning of last season, is seriously in question heading into the 2013 offseason.

Malcontent Mike Wallace will walk, which essentially is a positive due to his self-acknowledged lack of focus and true production during the 2012 season. That will leave a diminutive trio of receivers in Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, and Jerricho Cotchery left to drive the passing game.

While these receivers are shifty and can make plays in the open field, they are not big targets that can out-physical defensive backs for the ball or get behind a defense. Losing Wallace takes away the deep threat component of the offense that the Steelers will either have to address via the draft as early as the first round, or through free agency. While Ben Roethlisberger has made the offense go with less talent at the receiver position in the past, in a league where the top offenses score points in bunches, he will ultimately need a threat if this team is to improve its scoring next year.

It could be telling if the Steelers decide to not add a receiver in the early rounds of the draft or through free agency as it could signal a desire to return to an offense more focused on controlling the time of possession with the running game. Potentially, the Steelers could burn an early pick on a runner, or, add one in free agency. While the Steelers have not been active in recent years in bringing in big-name free agents, based on Kevin Colbert’s dissatisfaction with his 8-8 team, this could be a different year.

Considering the history of the Steelers, they more than likely will not pay big money to land a star receiver, such as Greg Jennings, and if anything, they would be more inclined to sign a free agent running back. While Steven Jackson will be 30 years old next season, he still has tread left on the tires, and he wants nothing more than to play for a winner. If Jackson doesn’t command an obscene price tag, and if the Steelers can manage to do so with the salary cap, Jackson would provide for a physical runner that would automatically boost the quality of the running game. If they do sign Jackson, which I acknowledge is very unlikely to happen, they would still draft a young back in the later rounds, but it could free them up to take a wide receiver with their first overall pick.

While I still believe that the Steelers will draft an outside linebacker, I do not believe that they will select one with their first overall pick. With the offense lacking any true weapons for Roethlisberger and due to their inability to score points, they have to bring in some firepower, and it could result in the Steelers selecting a wide receiver in the first round, and then selecting an outside backer in the second or third round.

The Steelers have lots of work to do on the offensive side of the football, and while the defense is in need of players who can get pressure on the quarterback, imagine how many more games this team could have won if the offense could have generated more than 21 points?

With that said, it is possible that major additions are coming to the wide receiver and running back position. Whether it will be through the draft or free agency will be something worth paying attention to as we march deeper into the offseason.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/steelers-to-take-a-wide-receiver-in-the-first-round/

Hawaii 5-0
01-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Truth about a couple of Mike Wallace myths

Posted by Armando Salguero
The Miami Herald

In talking to various NFL people the last few days, including some Pittsburgh Steelers folks, I obviously asked about players the Dolphins might be interested in going forward in free agency. This is what I learned about likely free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace and how that lines up with myths we've all heard about him and some of you have posted on this blog:

Myth No. 1 -- Mike Wallace was so disappointing this past season he was benched by coach Mike Tomlin: False. During the week prior to the Dec. 12 game against Baltimore, Tomlin was clearly unhappy with his team's course and the production of some players. And so that week he announced that Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders would be listed as "co-starters" on the depth chart rather than Wallace being the guy. Wallace was coming off a disappointing game against Cleveland and Sanders was in the midst of good season so much was written about the changing of the guard, so to speak. Well on game day, do you know what happened? Wallace started against Baltimore. He was not benched. Wallace actually missed one start during the year -- that in the final week when he played only sparingly against Cleveland. The reason? He was troubled throughout the week with a hip injury and it prevented him from practicing and starting.

[Update: Looked at it further and Wallace actually missed the season-finale because of the injury. But, again, he was not benched.]

Myth No. 2 -- Mike Wallace runs only go-routes: False. While Wallace is primarily a deep threat and has not been used very often in routes across the field, his routes repertoire was expanded this season to allow him to use his world-class speed in other ways. He ran in-cuts and outs. Is he an expert at those routes? No, he probably needs improvement. But is that the best use of one of the NFL's best deep threat receivers? Fair question. Look, Mark Duper didn't run crossing routes. He was a deep threat, down the sideline guy. He averaged a whopping 17.4 yards per catch and 7.7 touchdowns per season over his career. Pretty good right? Wallace has averaged 17.2 yards per catch and 8 touchdowns per season so far. Any questions?

Myth No. 3 -- Mike Wallace drops passes: True. The guy dropped more passes this year than in past years. He dropped four passes in a game against Cincinnati. He blamed the issue on losing focus because the new offense instituted by offensive coordinator Todd Haley didn't always find him early on in games. Wallace said it was tough to play sometimes two or three quarters without a target and suddenly have the ball come to him. Excuse? I think so. On the other hand, name me a receiver that doesn't drop the ball sometimes.

Myth No. 4 -- Mike Wallace only cares about money and will disappear once he gets paid: Hard to be unequivocal here because this involves predicting the future. But I was told the guy is a hard-worker. I was told he is a good guy in the locker room. I was told he "cares about winning." I was told he is "a pleasure to work with." Does that guarantee he won't cruise once he gets paid? No. But he doesn't sound like someone who would be inclined to do that.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/01/truth-about-a-couple-of-mike-wallace-myths.html#storylink=cpy

harrison'samonster
01-23-2013, 07:43 PM
no problem with that article. I don't think Wallace is a quieter and from all I've heard his teammates love him. We could argue all day about how good he is or if he has potential to get even better, but the main question as I see it is: Is paying Mike Wallace going to help us win more games next year or over the next few years? Can we let him go and be better off? Ok that's two questions.

austinfrench76
01-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the breakdown but it really has not bearing. Wallace is gone becasue we cannot afford him.

desertsteel
01-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Myth No. 3 -- Mike Wallace drops passes: True.

How can it be a myth and true at the same time???

StainlessStill
01-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Jets open to trading Revis. In MAJOR need of speed and any sort of WR help on their football team. I'd have a draft day trade in store RIGHT NOW for the Steelers to go ahead, cut the dead weight and work out a draft day trade to send Wallace to N.Y in exchange for Revis.

But what am I kiddin, lmao.:noidea:

TRH
01-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the breakdown but it really has not bearing. Wallace is gone becasue we cannot afford him.

absolutely true.
The article is basically meaningless - because we can't afford him, won't afford him, and plenty of other teams will pay him more than we can.
Bye, Mike & good luck.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Myth No. 1 -- Mike Wallace was so disappointing this past season he was benched by coach Mike Tomlin: False.

Accurate. It was a gesture on Tomlin's part-- nothing else.

Myth No. 2-- Mike Wallace runs only go-routes: False.

He does run many kinds of routes besides go routes and streaks. As to how successful he is at it-- that is a whole other discussion....

Wallace has averaged 17.2 yards per catch and 8 touchdowns per season so far. Any questions?

That is because he never catches the ball if he is running anything other than a post or streak where he is basically uncontested in the open field. Put a defender near him and he drops the ball. He never makes the catch unless he is running a deep one, hence the YPC.

Myth No. 3 -- Mike Wallace drops passes: True. The guy dropped more passes this year than in past years. He dropped four passes in a game against Cincinnati.

Two of those passes he dropped would have been uncontested TDs-- the nearest defender was 5 yards off of him or more. All he had to do was come down with the ball.

He blamed the issue on losing focus because the new offense instituted by offensive coordinator Todd Haley didn't always find him early on in games. Wallace said it was tough to play sometimes two or three quarters without a target and suddenly have the ball come to him. Excuse?

That is one of the LAMEST fucking excuses I have ever read for poor performance. He should be canned just for uttering that warm, steaming pile of dung.

Ben has ALWAYS been one to spread the ball around. Nobody else seems to have had the same problem when their number is called (well...maybe except Nate Washington-- he had some bad hands too).

I think so. On the other hand, name me a receiver that doesn't drop the ball sometimes.

Heath Miller (and he's not even a receiver)

tanda10506
01-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Good riddance! I have hoped for players to leave before and have missed them, like Farrior, but that's not the case with Wallace. I was hoping they didn't pay him this year and I based that on his non existent final 7 games in 2011. After seeing him constantly drop the ball this year, and then seeing him fumble when he finally did catch it was all I had to see, I'll be thrilled to see him leave. I don't care if he goes to the Pats or to the Ravens/Jets/Colts etc., he's not going to do any damage to us. If he can't catch passes from Big Ben then he won't come back to burn us with anybody else throwing to him. I'm tired of hearing about the potential he brings and the potential the offense has and how much talent we have on offense...it's nonsense, we've been 20th+ two years in a row now. A player with raw talent or blazing speed that never shows up when it matters and who can't even do the basics of his position is useless, we need football players not just talent.

Hawaii 5-0
01-24-2013, 09:26 PM
I would love to see us draft this guy, may just have to change my mock draft to include him:

Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State: Wheaton has been the most impressive receiver at the Senior Bowl -- by far. The Oregon State product has displayed excellent speed, quickness and burst, routinely separating from defenders out of breaks. Most impressively, Wheaton has shown strong hands; he is an outstanding pass catcher in traffic. By showcasing the capacity to make plays at every level, Wheaton has created quite a buzz in the NFL scouting community.

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/0ap1000000130235/article/markus-wheaton-lane-johnson-among-senior-bowl-standouts

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-24-2013, 09:34 PM
I would love to see us draft this guy, may just have to change my mock draft to include him:

Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State: Wheaton has been the most impressive receiver at the Senior Bowl -- by far. The Oregon State product has displayed excellent speed, quickness and burst, routinely separating from defenders out of breaks. Most impressively, Wheaton has shown strong hands; he is an outstanding pass catcher in traffic. By showcasing the capacity to make plays at every level, Wheaton has created quite a buzz in the NFL scouting community.

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/0ap1000000130235/article/markus-wheaton-lane-johnson-among-senior-bowl-standouts

I guess the question is do we has steeler nation want a tall wr like 6-2 to 6-4, or just another quality play maker?

Because Wheaton is only 5-11 and other wr this year who will be great next year are around 6-1 and below.

Hawaii 5-0
01-24-2013, 09:41 PM
I guess the question is do we has steeler nation want a tall wr like 6-2 to 6-4, or just another quality play maker?

Because Wheaton is only 5-11 and other wr this year who will be great next year are around 6-1 and below.

I'll take the quality playmaker any day.

Limas Sweed was 6'4"...

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-24-2013, 09:46 PM

Limas Sweed was 6'4"...

I would have to agree I'm more of a Patton guy if we go wr, but either one would be very good.

And sweed, what a shame could of been very good.

harrison'samonster
01-24-2013, 09:51 PM
I see he can catch the ball in traffic. Huge plus

teegre
01-25-2013, 12:46 AM

Limas Sweed was 6'4"...

Tavon Austin

I know that he's short, but he can score from ANYWHERE.

Two years ago, against LSU, Claiborne, Reid, & Mathieu were talking trash to Austin... and he still got over on them.

And then there was the Oklahoma game: 572 total yards (344 rushing yards).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxzPryPMB74

Hawaii 5-0
01-25-2013, 12:55 AM
I would have to agree I'm more of a Patton guy if we go wr, but either one would be very good.

Senior Bowl Summary - Ten Players Who Shined The Most This Week.

Russ Lande offers his thoughts on 10 players who had a great week of practice at the Senior Bowl.

JANUARY 24, 2013

1. Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan (6072, 305 and 4.85 E): In a battle with Luke Joeckel to be the first offensive tackle drafted, Fisher put his best foot forward in Mobile. Fast out of his stance, Fisher’s kick-slide allows him to slide out easily to protect the corner from speed rushers. Using his hands and long arms effectively, he was able to “get a good fit” on the pass rusher to tie him up and maintain block. One area that needs improvement is Fisher’s tendency to block upright and high, which leaves him susceptible to being bull rushed back into the pocket as Datone Jones did more than once this week. While he is never going to be a dominating run blocker, he proved this week he can be a productive one that keeps his man out of the play. Fisher’s battle with Joeckel is far from over and based on the athleticism he showed in Mobile, Fisher made the NFL take notice that he could end up on top.

2. Chris Harper, WR, Kansas State (6006, 228 and 4.45): While Harper was productive catching passes from Collin Klein at Kansas State, he demonstrated that he can be significantly better with a more polished passer throwing to him. Well built, Harper looks and plays taller than his measured size of just under 6-1. Precise and smooth running routes, Harper constantly was able to create separation from man coverage despite lacking an explosive burst out of his cuts. Possessing soft hands, uncommon body control and concentration, Harper caught nearly every ball thrown his way and consistently made tough contested catches. Sources have told us that despite not showing great playing speed on film, Harper has consistently run fast forty times, so if he runs in the 4.4’s at the Combine he will lock up a spot as a high second round pick.

3. Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma (6062, 302 and 4.90 E): I continue to be amazed that Johnson, who played quarterback in high school and his first season in junior college, has developed into such an outstanding offensive tackle. Few tackles with his height are able to bend their knees to block with base/leverage and Johnson makes it look easy and natural. His ability to slide side to side to stay on and maintain pass blocks is remarkable and helps him to overcome his current lack of good playing strength. While he regularly was jolted backwards at initial contact by bull rushers, his ability to re-set and anchor was outstanding and makes me confident that he will eventually have excellent playing strength. Although not many people are talking about it, do not be shocked if Johnson ends up being chosen in the first fifteen picks of the first round.

4. Datone Jones, DE, UCLA (6041, 280 and 4.75 E): Throughout the 2012 season we were impressed with Jones ability to make impact plays for UCLA regardless of where he lined up. However, we kept hearing from scouts that he had an inconsistent motor and did not make as many plays as he was capable of. After this week in Mobile, we are further convinced of Jones high talent level and good competitiveness as he not only competed hard, but when he was defeated on one play it was clear he took it personally and attacked the next few snaps with great passion and aggressiveness. Most impressive this week was the first step quickness and edge pass rush skills that Jones displayed as few 280 pound defensive ends are more than power rushers. For a player rumored to be a third or fourth round prospect when the Senior Bowl began, I am confident that after he showed the ability to defeat Eric Fisher a number of times he will be a second round pick.

5. Vance McDonald, TE, Rice (6041, 262 and 4.75 E): Although he did not show the elite playing speed of Rob Gronkowski this week, other than that he looked the part of the new wave of tight ends that are dominating in today’s NFL. Quick accelerating to full speed, he can get separation down the seam and has the hands to make the tough over the shoulder catch. Most impressive was McDonald’s smooth athleticism running routes, which helped him to create separation vs linebackers and safeties. He has the size and strength to be a better blocker than he is and will need to improve in this area to be more than just a receiving threat. I do not expect McDonald to be a first round pick, but he will hear his name called in the second or third round.

6. Jordan Mills, OT, Louisiana Tech (6060, 322 and 5.35 E): A late addition to the game, Mills arrived in time for practice on Tuesday and immediately made everyone take notice when he stoned Ezekiel Ansah’s attempted bull rush. A massive man who looks significantly bigger than his measured size, Mills playing strength made it look easy controlling defensive linemen once he locked up on them. While Mills’ size and strength were impressive, he does not have the feet to play left tackle in the NFL and will likely have to play on the right side. I believe that if Mills impresses at the Combine he could force his way into the second day of the Draft because he has many of the traits to start at right tackle as a rookie.

7. Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech (6000, 202 and 4.35 E): As passing has taken over the NFL, explosive, big play receivers are one of the most desired commodities. At over 6-0 and 200 pounds, Patton has surprising size for such an explosive receiver. Exploding off the ball, Patton can close cushion fast and is able to separate from the cornerback on deep routes with surprising ease. Unlike many fast receivers who throttle down to make their cuts, Patton stays at close to full speed into and out of his cuts, which makes it easy for him to get separation. While Patton frustrates a bit by body catching some passes within his frame, the bulk of the time he plucks the ball with his hands and consistently showed the ability to make the high-lite catch. While I do not think anyone will be able to catch Keenan Allen to be the first receiver drafted, Patton is the middle of the battle to be the second receiver selected.

8. Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington (5111, 190 and 4.45 E): Viewed by many as primarily a nickel corner prior to the Senior Bowl, Trufant showed us that he has the skills to become a starting outside cornerback. Blessed with great foot quickness, Trufant’s backpedal is quick and compact, which combines with his agility and body control so that he can transition and close on passes in a flash. While many gifted cornerbacks shy away from playing physical, Trufant seems to enjoy putting his hands on receiver to slow release and shows no fear keeping hands on receiver to push him off stem and throw off the timing between receiver and quarterback. While he is not the top cornerback, in the second or third round some team is going to get a quality starting cornerback.

9. Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky (6032, 333 and 5.25 E): Many have already conceded the top guard spot to Alabama’s Chance Warmack, but Warford did everything he could this week to close the gap and get into the discussion. Surprisingly quick out of stance, Warford sets up to block with excellent base/leverage fast and gets his “heavy hands” on the defensive tackle fast. Throughout the week Georgia defensive tackle made it look easy bull rushing all the other interior offensive linemen backwards, but Warford consistently stopped him in his tracks and kept him pinned on the LOS. After his display this week, there is no doubt that Warford will be a first round pick because he will be a day one starter.

10. Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State (5110, 183 and 4.55 E): One of the lesser known receivers to the media when he arrived in Mobile, you can be sure everyone knows who he is and how good he is. Viewed by many as a smooth receiver that lacked a quick burst and the speed to get deep, all week he showed good initial quickness of the ball, a burst out of his cuts to get separation and the speed to get behind the defense. Better than his display of quickness, burst and speed, was the show he put on making great catches one after another. Able to twist his body while maintaining focus, Wheaton made tough catches in traffic, over defenders and deep down the field. Although I still doubt that Wheaton will be a very high draft pick, some team is going to get a great bargain when they pick him in the third round.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-Summary-Ten-Players-Who-Shined-The-Most-This-Week-7111.html

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-25-2013, 01:40 AM
Tavon Austin

Two years ago, against LSU, Claiborne, Reid, & Mathieu were talking trash to Austin... and he still got over on them.

he would be a nice pick(only if we trade back) but tired of us having short WRs

lloydwoodson
01-25-2013, 02:48 AM
I agree... Austin is too short! I don't care if he scores 100 touchdowns in his rookie season! I want a red zone threat! Who cares if Mike Wallace scored more touchdowns than every NFL receiver except 2 in the last 4 years?! I want a receiver that scores a certain way! A 6'4 230 lb WR is a must have! We need a glorified tight end at WR!

steelfury02
01-25-2013, 09:32 AM
and a beast of a TE//WR red zone threat - this is a must

desertsteel
01-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Tavon Austin

Wow! I hadn't seen that. He's a playmaker. What are his stats? Did he play RB or WR? I can see him being a great PR. Where is he currently projected in the draft?

desertsteel
01-25-2013, 10:32 AM
OK, so Austin is 5-9 171. Over 100 catches each of the past 2 years. How the heck did he end up rushing for 350 yards against Okla?

teegre
01-25-2013, 11:57 AM
OK, so Austin is 5-9 171. Over 100 catches each of the past 2 years. How the heck did he end up rushing for 350 yards against Okla?

That's the thing (against Oklahoma), they knew that teams would play a CB & a S on him... so, they lined him up in the backfield, which confused the defense. They did the same thing against Clemson (the season before), and he had four TD runs.

If a team double-teams him, just move him to RB. If they start stacking the box, split him out. He is a nightmare to cover... like a much smaller Marshall Faulk.

DRAFT
Due to his diminutive size, he will go in the 20s... which works out well for him & for the team that drafts him. Why? Those teams are play-off teams, and don't need a starter and/or could use a situational playmaker. Alas, I see him as a PERFECT fit in New England. Argh!!!

Fire Arians
01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
dudes smaller than chris rainey, he won't last in the nfl

desertsteel
01-25-2013, 12:15 PM

Maybe he will if he doesn't punch women.

teegre
01-25-2013, 12:25 PM

He reminds me of Jermaine Lewis... but, Austin could actually contribute on plays besides just ST.

Small... but, on the right team, he'll contribute 8-10 TDs.

maddog78
01-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Maybe he will if he doesn't punch women.

Which never happened. Good thing Rooney overreacted.

Again.

desertsteel
01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
He reminds me of Jermaine Lewis... but, Austin could actually contribute on plays besides just ST.

Small... but, on the right team, he'll contribute 8-10 TDs.

Lots of little guys have been successful over the years. Warrick Dunn and Darren Sproles come to mind.

teegre
01-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Lots of little guys have been successful over the years. Warrick Dunn and Darren Sproles come to mind.

Casey Hampton... uh... LOL.

Joking aside: agreed.

Living in SD, I know first-hand why Sproles was franchise tagged... and why, when he became a FA, that Drew Brees BEGGED the Saints to sign him ASAP. Sproles is dynamic...

...as will be Austin.

SteelersCanada
01-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Well, the Saints are transitioning to a 3-4 and that means they're going to take Jordan - assholes.

So, we either have to take Elam or a WR in the first round. Cordarrelle Patterson or Tavon Austin in the first round and I'd be happy. I agree with Teegre, the dude is going to be a playmaker despite his size. I think he's more electric and has more potential than Sproles does due to his catching ability and his knack for getting separation.

I think we should be the in market for a taller WR as we already have smaller, faster guys and the lack of a legitimate redzone target is hurting us right now. Grabbing someone like Cordarrelle Patterson or Keenan Allen in the first round makes more sense. Even Justin Hunter in the second would fit a need. If we were to take someone like Hunter or Rogers in the second, that would free us up to take Elam at 17 if we so choose.

This is all hinging on the probability that the Saints now take Jordan to play as their 3-4 OLB.

desertsteel
01-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Casey Hampton... uh... LOL.

Joking aside: agreed.

Living in SD, I know first-hand why Sproles was franchise tagged... and why, when he became a FA, that Drew Brees BEGGED the Saints to sign him ASAP. Sproles is dynamic...

...as will be Austin.

I'd like to see a trade-down to pick up a quality pick and then take Austin in the mid/late 20's.

On that vid I saw moves from Austin that I haven't seen on any NFL player that I can recall.

I know he caught a lot of balls but how are his hands?

teegre
01-25-2013, 03:55 PM
I'd like to see a trade-down to pick up a quality pick and then take Austin in the mid/late 20's.

On that vid I saw moves from Austin that I haven't seen on any NFL player that I can recall.

I know he caught a lot of balls but how are his hands?

MOVES
Exactly. The last time that I saw a player juke someone so badly, was Eric Metcalf. (Barry Sanders is also an acceptable answer.)

HANDS
Great hands. Great concentration. Plus, he fights for the ball.

DRAFT
Now, I'm not necessarily advocating drafting a WR, and not at 17 (trade down & get him, if he were to be drafted)... but... IF a WR is drafted, I think that he HAS to be in the conversation.