PDA

View Full Version : DJANGO UNCHAINED

tony hipchest
12-28-2012, 09:24 PM
has anyone seen this yet? if so, thoughts? i typically dont read any movie reviews until after i see the film and really like it. i thought kill bill and inglorius basterds took kung fu and wwII flicks to a new level and think this does the same for spaghetti westerns. here is my own review i put on my FB-

DJANGO UNCHAINED does not fail to deliver! Its 2 hrs 45 min long (some think that is too long for a movie but i call it bang for your buck). I wont say jamie foxx is as good as denzel in GLORY but pretty close. Christopher Waltz follows up his academy award winning perfermance in INGLORIOUS BASTERDS nicely and very well could be nominated for the best supporting actor award again this year even though he was very much the central character. Leonard DiCaprio is easilly as hatable as Waltz was as Col. Hans Landa in BASTERDS.

This was the epic spaghetti western. Half the movie takes place in Texas set in 1858. The best gunfight scene is just as bloody as Uma's fight with the crazy 88's in KILL BILL, so if you like gratuitous violence, this is right up your alley. Samuel Jackson has an extednded role and is in true form.

This seemed to be a more contemporary Tarantiono film. The plot doesnt jump around as much which is his signature forte, and pretty much flows from point A to B to C. The plot and theme is fairly simple and is not as complex as PULP FICTION, BASTERDS, or KILL BILL .

The story is action packed, and not as drawn out and dependent on the great dialogue of Tarintinos films of the past (despite the near 3 hour film time). If you are sqeamish about n-bombs or the rather realistic portrayal of the slave trade, and tons of killing/exaggerated bloodshed, this film may not be the one for you.

Its funny and witty as well. Great characters. Foxx is the man!

Lady Steel
12-29-2012, 12:54 AM
Due to work, the holidays, and the bad weather here as of late, I haven't seen it yet.

Thanks for the review, Tony. This movie is definitely on my must-see list.

Fire Arians
01-08-2013, 12:46 PM
i saw this a couple days ago and thought it was a great movie. it was long, but rarely any 'slow' parts in the movie. fans of action movies or westerns won't be disappointed

Vis
01-08-2013, 02:36 PM
I liked it. I think it did drag a bit in the middle. After I own it I'll fast forward through all the dinner talk. The bag scene is an instant classic.

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2013, 04:35 PM
I liked it. I think it did drag a bit in the middle. After I own it I'll fast forward through all the dinner talk. The bag scene is an instant classic.

Bag scene was great but for some reason I found off the wall scenes such as Django using the snowman for target practice (during what appeared to be a detour to the Rockies on the road from Texas to Mississippi) to be particularly amusing

Like most Tarantino projects this one was an exceedingly violent movie with comic interludes that was not particularly committed to narrative coherence - well worth the price of admission

Zero Dark Thirty finally gets nationwide release this weekend - can't wait

SteelerEmpire
01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Saw it tonight... excellent !!!

MasterOfPuppets
01-10-2013, 05:16 PM
:applaudit: :applaudit::applaudit: good flick:thumbsup:

BlaZeQuietly
01-23-2013, 01:57 AM
I absolutely LOVED this movie.

tony hipchest
02-24-2013, 09:11 PM
congrats to christopher waltz who's deserving performance wins him a second oscar in his second tarantimo film.

he beat some heavy hitters as well. great job by a great actor, playing a great character.

Bane
02-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Great movie, but Jamie Foxx made Django unlikeable for me by the end, as did a few lines Tarantino wrote for him. Christoph Waltz as Dr. King Schultz was far and away the best part about the movie, with Leonardo DiCaprio as Calvin Candie and Samuel L. Jackson as Stephen a close second.

I'll be getting the DVD/Blu-ray the day it releases. It's probably tied with Reservoir Dogs as my favorite Tarantino movie.

tony hipchest
02-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Great movie, but Jamie Foxx made Django unlikeable for me by the end, as did a few lines Tarantino wrote for him. Christoph Waltz as Dr. King Schultz was far and away the best part about the movie, with Leonardo DiCaprio as Calvin Candie and Samuel L. Jackson as Stephen a close second.

I'll be getting the DVD/Blu-ray the day it releases. It's probably tied with Reservoir Dogs as my favorite Tarantino movie.i'll be getting it the day of release as well. its scheduled for late march-early april.

i totally agree about waltz stealing the show, and impressed w/ how much of the personality of col. hans landa carried over.

i thought the movie got suddenly a bit boring once dr. king shultz died, almost like the Django character couldnt carry the film. Im curious whether you found the character unlikable by the end or Foxx's performance? also curious about the lines that turned you off.

:drink:

Bane
02-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Both Jamie and the character turned me off.

Jamie because he's gone on racist tirades before, particularly the one against Howard Stern. It's not that I dislike racial humor, as Richard Pryor is one of my favorite comedians. But when I hear the garbage like I heard from his radio rant, it makes me wonder sometimes if it is humor or acting.

That said, it was the most minor problem, and he played the character well. What bothered me most was that the character didn't grow throughout the film. I never got the sense that he came to appreciate Schultz's efforts, considering all the sacrifice Schultz went through during the entirety of the movie. And Django sacrificing the slave to the dogs turned me off again, but admittedly, that could be because I am a huge Batman fan, lol, so take that with a grain of salt.

All this in mind, I wasn't bothered by the dialogue. I thought It was catchy, and if not for the constant use of the "N-word", would have been one of those largely quotable movies. Anything Samuel L. Jackson said had my sides splitting.

Edit: I'm not one of these overly-sensitive white guys who decries anybody who makes comments about race. I just don't dig the obsession he seems to have with race. I'm not offended by it, it just gives me a negative view of him, that kind of tainted Django's character for me.