PDA

View Full Version : Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft

Pages : 1 [2]

pete74
02-24-2013, 12:48 PM
I like Ansah and would love to grab him. Someone will grab Jones before we pick

SteelersCanada
02-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Guys that I loved so far today - Rodney Smith, Robert Woods and Quinton Patton. These guys are unreal. I think my favorite guy though has to be Smith out of FSU. 6'5, 225 and showed solid hands and route running.

Right now I'm taking a hard look at Knile Davis. I have always been high on him and if Lattimore is gone, we have to take Knile. He's had his share of injuries, but he just ran a 4.30 and has the power and strength to run guys over.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Guys that I loved so far today - Rodney Smith, Robert Woods and Quinton Patton. These guys are unreal. I think my favorite guy though has to be Smith out of FSU. 6'5, 225 and showed solid hands and route running.

Right now I'm taking a hard look at Knile Davis. I have always been high on him and if Lattimore is gone, we have to take Knile. He's had his share of injuries, but he just ran a 4.30 and has the power and strength to run guys over.

Woods and Patton had solid days if either are there in round 2 I'd be happy with either.

Like davis I'm looking at bell came in weighing 230 and ran a unofficial 4.52 which is good for his size. Also guys to watch gillislee Franklin barner and randle.

bubbletownwr88
02-24-2013, 04:20 PM
If Chance Warmack some how falls to 17 think he'd be a steal to put opposite of decastro. If not, I'm sticking with my guy since the end of the college season, Matt Elam!

teegre
02-24-2013, 05:03 PM
If Chance Warmack some how falls to 17 think he'd be a steal to put opposite of decastro. If not, I'm sticking with my guy since the end of the college season, Matt Elam!

I have never agreed more with a post.

Elam is my guy... unless Warmack drops.

(Note: Elam is my heart pick; Warmack would be my brain/BAP pick.)

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-24-2013, 05:15 PM
I have never agreed more with a post.

Elam is my guy... unless Warmack drops.

(Note: Elam is my heart pick; Warmack would be my brain/BAP pick.)

It will be fun to watch Elam and vaccaro Tuesday.

As if right now cooper would be a better fit for our offense. I know warmack is going to be good but it's been said multiple times we want linemen who are quick and althetic. Cooper was a exceptional pulling guard and did very well in the positional drills, very quick feet and smooth. Cooper is a better scheme fit than warmack.

Renegade.8
02-24-2013, 05:57 PM

No way its happening but it is a must take if it does.

:thumbsup:

SteelersCanada
02-24-2013, 06:05 PM
No way its happening but it is a must take if it does.

:thumbsup:

I'd take the picks we'd get from someone trading up instead of taking Warmack.

pete74
02-24-2013, 06:14 PM

Everyone says Warmack is the best guard to come out of college the last 10 years ago but they also said that last year about DeCastro. As for Warmack, I would love to have him but would pass. If we took him we would be screwed two years down the road when Clark, Harrison, Troy and Miller are all gone and we don't have a safety, a second OLB or another ILB. We need a safety or a linebacker for now and for the future

teegre
02-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Everyone says Warmack is the best guard to come out of college the last 10 years ago but they also said that last year about DeCastro. As for Warmack, I would love to have him but would pass. If we took him we would be screwed two years down the road when Clark, Harrison, Troy and Miller are all gone and we don't have a safety, a second OLB or another ILB. We need a safety or a linebacker for now and for the future

IMO DeCastro is the best OG in the past decade. Warmack smothers people, but DD can pull & block in the second level like a 305 lb. FB. I have not seen an OL play like that since... Dermontti Dawson.

Trust me, I still want an OLB & a S... and an ILB. But, if Warmack drops, he has to be "considered."

The Viking had Chris Carter and Jake Reed, but Denny Green to the "BAP"... and Moss had a season for the ages. Likewise, the Steelers already have a solid O-line, full of young R1 & R2 draft picks... but, if Warmack is there, they have to consider drafting him (if they deem him to be the "BAP").

Lastly, this is a deep, deep draft for S. Not that I want them to wait this long, but they could get Rambo & Williams in R3 & R4 (maybe even R4 & R5). Make sense?

Rick5895
02-25-2013, 03:40 AM
IMO DeCastro is the best OG in the past decade. Warmack smothers people, but DD can pull & block in the second level like a 305 lb. FB. I have not seen an OL play like that since... Dermontti Dawson.

Trust me, I still want an OLB & a S... and an ILB. But, if Warmack drops, he has to be "considered."

The Viking had Chris Carter and Jake Reed, but Denny Green to the "BAP"... and Moss had a season for the ages. Likewise, the Steelers already have a solid O-line, full of young R1 & R2 draft picks... but, if Warmack is there, they have to consider drafting him (if they deem him to be the "BAP").

Lastly, this is a deep, deep draft for S. Not that I want them to wait this long, but they could get Rambo & Williams in R3 & R4 (maybe even R4 & R5). Make sense?

I also think that Swearinger will be available in RD2, we have a couple of immediate needs, IMO, and I don't believe OL is one of them. LB and safety top that list, with RB and WR coming in behind. All have to be taken somewhere and we cant pick all in Round 1, LOL. All this being said if Warmack drops he would be intriguing at 17. Either way I thnk we will have a pretty good draft with some immediate help.

Hawaii 5-0
02-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Judgements: Jarvis Jones just one among group of boom-or-bust prospects

By Clark Judge | Senior NFL Columnist
Feb. 23, 2013

http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/nfl/img21755670.jpg

Despite his immense talent, teams might stear clear of Jarvis Jones because of his spinal stenosis. (USATSI)

INDIANAPOLIS -- He didn't draw a Manti Te'o crowd, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be interested in what happens to Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones because there are a lot of teams that are.

And for good reason: He could be the best player in this draft.

But he's not, and he's not because of spinal stenosis -- a narrowing of the spinal canal -- that should make Jones and NFL clubs nervous. It caused USC to fail him on a physical, and it had doctors examining him for so many hours Saturday he didn't appear for an interview until after 5 p.m. -- or hours after the Te'o crush dispersed.

"Most of the doctors checked me out and feel that I'm fine," said Jones. "I feel that I'm healthy. The doctors feel like I'm healthy. So I'm excited."

That's great, except it's what tests reveal that matter. Jones admitted there was "no final word" from physicians and that he hopes to receive it by the end of this weekend or sometime next week. In the meantime, however, color his future uncertain.

"There's real concern," one scout said. "It's serious. I doubt that he's going to pass many teams' physicals."

That's too bad because the guy has so much talent that the same scout said he might make him his top draft pick ("certainly in my top five"), but that medical concerns worry him. And he won't be the only one.

"If doctors told me I couldn't play today, I think I've had a great run and I would just take it for what it's worth," said Jones. "It would hurt me [not to play]. I love this game. I'm passionate about this game. But I'd rather walk and enjoy myself and my family than not be able to walk away from this game."

2. Jones isn't the only Georgia linebacker under the microscope. Alec Ogletree is another. There are plenty of teams out there that can use someone of his ability, but it's not his ability that's an issue. It's his maturity.

"The guy's an immature idiot," said one player personnel director.

That's one way of putting it. Another is that he's a character concern, with last week's DUI arrest the latest blip on the radar. It wasn't his only arrest; only his most recent, and combine that with a four-game suspension for a positive drug test, and you have a risk some people may not be willing to take.

"I'm a good person," Ogletree told reporters. "Everybody makes mistakes. I feel bad about the situation, but I'm learning from it and I'm moving forward."

He may not be moving forward in the draft. Ogletree is a potential first-round pick who is explosive, strong, quick, and instinctive, and he could be a high first-round choice. But his recent arrest will back off potential suitors, with one scout telling me it could cause his team to pass on the guy.

"I don't know what it's going to do (to my draft status)," said Ogletree. "I feel bad about it. I'm really sorry about it, but I just have to move forward and take whatever I get."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21755464/combine-judgements-georgias-jones-just-one-among-group-of-boomorbust-prospects

teegre
02-25-2013, 11:00 PM
I also think that Swearinger will be available in RD2, we have a couple of immediate needs, IMO, and I don't believe OL is one of them. LB and safety top that list, with RB and WR coming in behind. All have to be taken somewhere and we cant pick all in Round 1, LOL. All this being said if Warmack drops he would be intriguing at 17. Either way I thnk we will have a pretty good draft with some immediate help.

I've seen Swearinger mocked everywhere from late R1 to R5. Regardless of when he goes, I like that kid.

Imagine a secondary with Elam & Swearinger as the safeties. Oh man!!! WRs would NOT want to go across the middle.

Now, I know that the rules favor DBs who are finesse (not slobber-knockers like Elam & Swearinger), but for me... I've always been a Rodney Harrison fan. Don't get me wrong: we don't necessarily want Lee Flowers... who could hit like a LB, but was a liability in coverage.

[Note: Flowers was once voted, by other players, as the second hardest-hitting player in the entire NFL. Not just the second hardest-hitting safety; the second hardest-hitting player at ANY position. Again, the dude "brought it."]

Tangent aside, the good news is that both Elam & Swearinger can cover just about as good as they can hit (e.g. Swearinger has played CB).

SteelersCanada
02-26-2013, 11:01 AM
I know this has absolutely nothing to do with anything, but it just showed Tomlin on the NFL Network's coverage of the combine and, man, sometimes I forget how much swag that guy has.

SteelersCanada
02-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Oh, and Charles Davis just said that Eric Reid is a very similar guy to one Ryan Clark. He was saying how Eric Reid and Tyrann Mathieu played a very similar game to Ryan & Troy. Tyrann would blitz and act on instinct, and Eric would take the over the top coverage and compensate for Mathieu's blitzing.

A cool comparison.

wwhickok
02-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Oh, and Charles Davis just said that Eric Reid is a very similar guy to one Ryan Clark. He was saying how Eric Reid and Tyrann Mathieu played a very similar game to Ryan & Troy. Tyrann would blitz and act on instinct, and Eric would take the over the top coverage and compensate for Mathieu's blitzing.

A cool comparison.

No thanks to Mathieu...he benched a 4.... I think Reid would fit nicely.

teegre
02-26-2013, 12:05 PM

A cool comparison.

Good call on Reid. He is indeed more like Clark than like Polamalu. I had not thought if it that way. Thus, here are my tiered safety pairings:

1. Elam/Vaccaro... and Swearinger

2. Elam/Vaccaro... and Reid

3. Elam/Vaccaro... and Rambo/Williams

4. Elam/Vaccaro... and (insert R5 safety)

Hawaii 5-0
03-03-2013, 11:24 AM
2013 NFL Draft Team Rumors: Picks 17-32

March 3, 2013

These are NFL Draft rumors for teams. When I see something, I'll post it here. Follow @walterfootball for updates.

Pittsburgh Steelers:

March 3: Dick LeBeau told the media that he wants to bring in a young safety. The Steelers met with Kenny Vaccaro at the Combine. - Behind the Steel Curtain

Feb. 28: "If LSU’s Kevin Minter (6-0, 246) is available at No. 17, do not be surprised to see the Steelers take him with their No. 1 pick. That is more likely than an outside linebacker in the first round." - Gerry Dulac

Feb. 25: Word is the Pittsburgh Steelers drooling over Ezekial Ansah/BYU as a 3-4 OLB. - Tony Pauline

Jan. 27: "Scratch LB Alec Ogletree off the list of candidates to be drafted by the #Steelers in the first round." - Ed Bouchette.

Jan. 27: The Steelers plan on drafting a quarterback at some point. - RantSports.com

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013rumorsteams_1.php

kan_t
03-03-2013, 01:09 PM
2013 NFL Draft Team Rumors: Picks 17-32

March 3, 2013

These are NFL Draft rumors for teams. When I see something, I'll post it here. Follow @walterfootball for updates.

Pittsburgh Steelers:

March 3: Dick LeBeau told the media that he wants to bring in a young safety. The Steelers met with Kenny Vaccaro at the Combine. - Behind the Steel Curtain

Feb. 28: "If LSU’s Kevin Minter (6-0, 246) is available at No. 17, do not be surprised to see the Steelers take him with their No. 1 pick. That is more likely than an outside linebacker in the first round." - Gerry Dulac

Feb. 25: Word is the Pittsburgh Steelers drooling over Ezekial Ansah/BYU as a 3-4 OLB. - Tony Pauline

Jan. 27: "Scratch LB Alec Ogletree off the list of candidates to be drafted by the #Steelers in the first round." - Ed Bouchette.

Jan. 27: The Steelers plan on drafting a quarterback at some point. - RantSports.com

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013rumorsteams_1.php
The only worthy first round ILB is Ogletree and the Steelers are not going to pick him, given his off-field problems. If people are so down about Manti Teo's 40 yards performance, they shouldn't be happy about Minter's result either. He's just 0.01 second faster than Teo and I am surprise no one brings that up.

Wallace17
03-03-2013, 01:41 PM
I put this on another board but here are my pick's

1st round- Ezikel Ansah please please please do not pass on this guy. Hopefully he is still there If not take the risk on Javris Jones. I would not mind Ogletree or Dion Jordan Either. If none are availble take some offense. Cordelle patterson or Eddie Lacy would fit nice as well.
2nd Round- We do not get anything through offense at this point we need a back at this point Monte Ball fit our mold or Eddie Lacy. Lacy is the safe Pick but Ball has steeler written all over him. Im usally not wrong about running backs. I wanted Ray Rice when we had the chance to draft him over mendenhall. Good pick tomlin.
3rd round-Ok this is our round to grab a wide reciever I say Robert Woods all day this guy is a pure hands wide reciever. He was easily the best WR at the combine. If he is gone buy then Justin Hunter a big 6'4" guy the only thing that worrys me is another big WR like limas Sweed.
4th-Baccari Rambo we need to get younger at FS. Thats All i Am saying hey if hunter or woods are still availible take another wr would be a steal but we need to get younger at safety and rambo is a beast
5th- I know we proably already would have a running back by now but two isnt going to cut it take marcus Lattimore he would of prob been a first round pick if not for his knee.
6th- Jake stoneburner TE- Miller is hurt and pope sucks.
7th round- Denard robinson WR,QB and Mike Mutati ILB

First2seven
03-05-2013, 12:06 AM
I know this has absolutely nothing to do with anything, but it just showed Tomlin on the NFL Network's coverage of the combine and, man, sometimes I forget how much swag that guy has.

huh? I'd rather he had competence at drafting and developing defensive backs then coolness. Or get his team prepared properly. Too many time it seems they come out flat for big games. I mean Obama has swag but what is that getting us?

VaDave
03-05-2013, 08:17 AM
It will be fun to watch Elam and vaccaro Tuesday.

As if right now cooper would be a better fit for our offense. I know warmack is going to be good but it's been said multiple times we want linemen who are quick and althetic. Cooper was a exceptional pulling guard and did very well in the positional drills, very quick feet and smooth. Cooper is a better scheme fit than warmack.

If we go OL in round one, Cooper is the guy. Warmack would have been a slamdunk pick in the Ron Erhardt days of smashmouth ball. No doubt a great player, but a Woody said, not a great stylistic fit.

All I can say about Cooper is, if you like what DeCastro brings to the table, Cooper will knock your socks off. Having two guys like this, PLUS the mobility of Pouncey could be almost revolutionary.

VaDave
03-05-2013, 08:20 AM
huh? I'd rather he had competence at drafting and developing defensive backs then coolness. Or get his team prepared properly. Too many time it seems they come out flat for big games. I mean Obama has swag but what is that getting us?

Actually I'd be thrilled if he learned when to throw a challenge flag.....

cowherpower
03-05-2013, 01:21 PM
If we go OL in round one, Cooper is the guy. Warmack would have been a slamdunk pick in the Ron Erhardt days of smashmouth ball. No doubt a great player, but a Woody said, not a great stylistic fit.

All I can say about Cooper is, if you like what DeCastro brings to the table, Cooper will knock your socks off. Having two guys like this, PLUS the mobility of Pouncey could be almost revolutionary.

I keep seeing that he has vaulted over Warmack due to the combine. I would love if he fell. Yes it would mean we have used a lot of high picks on O line but it'd be really nice to finally have a top ten unit to see if that will help Ben and the running game.

Hawaii 5-0
03-07-2013, 09:26 PM
2013 Mock Draft: 'Moans for Jones' becoming a theme

By big_jay71 on Mar 7 2013, 12:00p 54

Injury concerns are always a big deal but just how much attention should we give to certain injuries? In the NFL just about the worst concern you can have are knee issues, particularly ACL tears. It's why South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore probably won't be drafted until the fifth round at the earliest event though he has first round talent. But what about non-serious, nagging injuries or health conditions that may not even affect a player? The first few picks for the Steelers could be players whose stock has fallen because of these issues and in my humble opinion the Steelers should jump on them.

Round 1:

1. Kansas City Chiefs - Luke Joeckel OT, Texas A&M

Team needs: QB/WR/DE/S/ILB

The Chiefs traded for Alex Smith which means that Geno Smith is no longer an option. Star Lotulelei has a heart condition which should take him out of contention. Even though they franchised Brandon Albert this pick should still be Joeckel unless they sign Albert to a long-term contract.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars - Sharrif Floyd DT, Florida

Team needs: QB/CB/S/OT/OC

Because of his condition Star Lotulelei has been overtaken as the highest rated DT.

3. Oakland Raiders - Star Lotulelei NT, Utah

Team needs: QB/CB/RDE/DT

Oakland will take a DT, DE, Dee Millner, or Geno Smith with this pick. Star Lotulelei could fall a lot farther depending on his medical examinations.

4. Philadelphia Eagles - Eric Fisher OT, Central Michigan

Team needs: SS/CB/OC/OT

This pick should be Eric Fisher or Dee Millner depending on what the Eagles do in free agency regarding their CB situation.

5. Detroit Lions - DeMarcus Milliner CB, Alabama

Team needs: CB/DE/SS/OC/RT

The Lions always go with the best available player in the first round. Millner had an awesome combine and has leapfrogged the available DE's as the best player available.

6. Cleveland Browns - Ezekiel Ansah DE/OLB, BYU

Ezekiel Ansah made himself a lot of money at the Senior Bowl and with concerns over Jarvis Jones' spinal stenosis Ansah is not the top rated 3-4 OLB. With the Browns switching to a hybird 3-4/4-3 defense they'll need players who can ply both DE and OLB.

7. Arizona Cardinals - Lane Johnson OT, Oklahoma

Team needs: QB/LT/OG/OC/OLB

This should be the easiest pick to predict. Arizona's offensive line is terrible. Even with Geno Smith available they should still take a left tackle as long as one of the top three are available.

8. Buffalo Bills - Geno Smith QB, West Virginia

Team needs: QB/WR/RDE/ILB

Bills GM Buddy Nix has said they will try to land a franchise QB in this draft.

9. New York Jets - Dion Jordan DE/OLB, Oregon

Team needs: QB/RT/OLB/S/ILB

The Jets should take a rush linebacker as long as either Dion Jordan or Ezekiel Ansah are available, otherwise they might take Cordarrelle Patterson.

10. Tennessee Titans - Chance Warmack OG, Alabama

Team needs: OG/OC/CB/DE

Tennessee needs interior offensive line help and a cornerback so this should be Chance Warmack as long as Dee Millner is gone.

11. San Diego Chargers - Jonathan Cooper OG, North Carolina

Team needs: CB/LT/OG/RB/OLB/NT

San Diego needs a lot of offensive line help and may trade up for Eric Fisher or Lane Johnson. Jonathan Cooper is a slight reach so the Chargers could take an OLB or simply trade back to get better value for Cooper.

12. Miami Dolphins - Cordarrelle Patterson WR, Tennessee

Team needs: WR/RG/LDE/S/TE

The Dolphins have an investment in Ryan Tannehill and will most likely use this pick to bolster the offense around him. They have some decent number two WR's but need someone to be the main guy.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Desmond Trufant CB, Washington

Team needs: CB/DT/SLB/RT

Tampa Bay's pick should be fairly easy. They had a big need for a CB even before they traded Aqib Talib to the Patriots.

14. Carolina Panthers - Sheldon Richardson DT, Missouri

Unless an elite talent falls like Dee Millner or Eric Fisher this pick will most likely be used on the highest rated DT. Given the Carolina doesn't have a third round pick they will probably trade back to pick up one and still get someone like Kawann Short.

15. New Orleans Saints - Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB, LSU

Team needs: OLB/NT/OG/SS

The Saints are converting to a 3-4 defense and will need another pass-rushing OLB to pair with Martez Wilson. The Saints have Akiem Hicks to play NT but could also take John Jenkins or Jonathan Hankins.

16. St. Louis Rams - Kenny Vaccaro S, Texas

Team needs:OT/OG/OLB/FS/TE

The Rams are out of luck for offensive lineman and should take Kenny Vaccaro or the highest rated WR here.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jarvis Jones OLB, Georgia

Team needs: S/ROLB/WR/LG/CB/NT

If Jarvis Jones falls to the Steelers here they should run to the podium to turn in their card much like they did for David DeCastro in the 2012 draft. He's an elite pass-rusher who falls because of concerns over his spinal stenosis but as long as he checks out from the medical staff it shouldn't be an issue. One thing the Steelers have lacked over the last few seasons are splash plays on defense and anyone who watched Jarvis Jones play this past season knows he has had at least a few in every game.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/7/4068872/2013-mock-draft-steelers-updated-new

Hawaii 5-0
03-11-2013, 04:45 PM
New Kiper Mock has the Steelers taking Tyler Eifert

By big_jay71 on Mar 11 2013

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/9511279/156007614.0_standard_500.0.jpg

ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper released a new mock draft today and has the Steelers selecting Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert with the 17th pick in the 2013 draft.

The father of modern NFL draft analysis Mel Kiper jr. has thrown a monkey wrench so to speak into the draft speculation of Steelers fans everywhere by proclaiming that the Steelers will select Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert in the first round of the 2013 NFL draft.

Here's what Kiper had to say about the pick:

"Mike Wallace might be exiting, but in Eifert the Steelers add a different kind of matchup headache for defenses. Eifert has the speed to stretch the seam and also develop routes to the edges, and can't be effectively covered by anybody. He's too tall for corners and safeties, too fast for linebackers."

It's quite an interesting scenario to say the least and one that Steelers fans should consider instead of balking at. In his mock draft all of the usual suspects are gone. Ezekiel Ansah to the Lions, Dion Jordan to the Browns, Jarvis Jones to the Bills, Mingo to the Jets, and Cooper to the Titans. The only player out of the handful that have been linked to the Steelers that would be available is Alabama guard Chance Warmack.

So from the Kiper analysis the question begs, could the Steelers use a Jimmy Graham/Rob Gronkowski type to create nightmare matchups across the middle of the field? Also, do they need another tight end with Heath Miller on the roster?

Heath Miller is 30 years old and coming off of a brutal knee injury suffered at the end of the season, tearing his ACL, MCL, and PCL ligaments. Even if his rehab goes according to plan he won't be able to work out on that knee until July at the earliest and it's likely that he would miss the first month or so of the season if not more. In the short term David Paulson would be his replacement but he is a serious step down in talent. In the long term Tyler Eifert would be an excellent replacement for Miller.

Tyler Eifert was clearly the best tight end on the field at the combine. He measured in at 6-feet-6 and 250 pounds, and managed to run at 4.68 forty yard dash. He is a complete player and will be the first tight end taken and a first round pick in the 2013 draft. The question is that if the available pass-rushers are all gone as well as Jonathan Cooper and Kenny Vaccarro should the Steelers take Tyler Eifert over the available wide receivers? He does come with less questions than Cordarelle Patterson (raw player), Keenan Allen (injury and drop in production), and Tavon Austin (lack of size).

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/11/4090148/new-kiper-mock-has-the-steelers-taking-tyler-eifert

Bane
03-11-2013, 04:56 PM
So I've seen Kiper mock the Steelers to take Ansah and Eifert.

I've crossed both off my list as potential future Steelers.

teegre
03-11-2013, 04:56 PM
I switched from the "tall WR" camp to the TE camp a few months ago. Not surprised at all.

The three big E's: Eifert, Ertz, & Escobar.

The first three rounds will be (in no particular order): OLB, S, and WR/TE.

harrison'samonster
03-11-2013, 06:21 PM
I switched from the "tall WR" camp to the TE camp a few months ago. Not surprised at all.

The three big E's: Eifert, Ertz, & Escobar.

The first three rounds will be (in no particular order): OLB, S, and WR/TE.

I would guess we go TE before WR for several good reasons: Heath is getting older and is injured, Colbert believes it is just as good to draft WR later...well two good reasons. This pick would make sense.

tmacsteelerfan
03-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Actually I'd be thrilled if he learned when to throw a challenge flag.....

And learns that a 24 point deficit is only a 3 score lead so going for two makes sense if you don't want to make it look like you're just giving up.

tmacsteelerfan
03-11-2013, 07:05 PM
New Kiper Mock has the Steelers taking Tyler Eifert

By big_jay71 on Mar 11 2013

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/9511279/156007614.0_standard_500.0.jpg

ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper released a new mock draft today and has the Steelers selecting Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert with the 17th pick in the 2013 draft.

The father of modern NFL draft analysis Mel Kiper jr. has thrown a monkey wrench so to speak into the draft speculation of Steelers fans everywhere by proclaiming that the Steelers will select Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert in the first round of the 2013 NFL draft.

Here's what Kiper had to say about the pick:

"Mike Wallace might be exiting, but in Eifert the Steelers add a different kind of matchup headache for defenses. Eifert has the speed to stretch the seam and also develop routes to the edges, and can't be effectively covered by anybody. He's too tall for corners and safeties, too fast for linebackers."

It's quite an interesting scenario to say the least and one that Steelers fans should consider instead of balking at. In his mock draft all of the usual suspects are gone. Ezekiel Ansah to the Lions, Dion Jordan to the Browns, Jarvis Jones to the Bills, Mingo to the Jets, and Cooper to the Titans. The only player out of the handful that have been linked to the Steelers that would be available is Alabama guard Chance Warmack.

So from the Kiper analysis the question begs, could the Steelers use a Jimmy Graham/Rob Gronkowski type to create nightmare matchups across the middle of the field? Also, do they need another tight end with Heath Miller on the roster?

Heath Miller is 30 years old and coming off of a brutal knee injury suffered at the end of the season, tearing his ACL, MCL, and PCL ligaments. Even if his rehab goes according to plan he won't be able to work out on that knee until July at the earliest and it's likely that he would miss the first month or so of the season if not more. In the short term David Paulson would be his replacement but he is a serious step down in talent. In the long term Tyler Eifert would be an excellent replacement for Miller.

Tyler Eifert was clearly the best tight end on the field at the combine. He measured in at 6-feet-6 and 250 pounds, and managed to run at 4.68 forty yard dash. He is a complete player and will be the first tight end taken and a first round pick in the 2013 draft. The question is that if the available pass-rushers are all gone as well as Jonathan Cooper and Kenny Vaccarro should the Steelers take Tyler Eifert over the available wide receivers? He does come with less questions than Cordarelle Patterson (raw player), Keenan Allen (injury and drop in production), and Tavon Austin (lack of size).

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/11/4090148/new-kiper-mock-has-the-steelers-taking-tyler-eifert

I would actually really like this pick. It would definitely make it easier to find a receiver in later rounds of the draft too. We wouldn't necessarily need to draft a receiver to play on the outside meaning we could possibly look deeper into speedy slot guys in the mid to late rounds like Markus Wheaton, Kenny Stills, and Marquise Goodwin.

steelfury02
03-11-2013, 08:33 PM
I would actually really like this pick. It would definitely make it easier to find a receiver in later rounds of the draft too. We wouldn't necessarily need to draft a receiver to play on the outside meaning we could possibly look deeper into speedy slot guys in the mid to late rounds like Markus Wheaton, Kenny Stills, and Marquise Goodwin.

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh - me really likey this type of pick - best player available type of pick and no one is really saying how much not having Heath until November or December could really hurt - plus, we do need someone that is a physical specimen that cannot be covered easily.

teegre
03-11-2013, 09:00 PM
I would guess we go TE before WR for several good reasons: Heath is getting older and is injured, Colbert believes it is just as good to draft WR later...well two good reasons. This pick would make sense.

Agreed. I've been sold on a TE for a while now... (although, I still like Austin). Assuming its on of the three that I've mentioned, the draft could look something like this:

Eiffert, OLB/S, OLB/S
OLB/S, Ertz, OLB/S
OLB/S, OLB/S, Escobar

TRH
03-11-2013, 09:03 PM
I would be sold too. These new NFL offenses w/the Gronk types are KILLING it. I'd love to see that.

harrison'samonster
03-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Eiffert, OLB/S, OLB/S
OLB/S, Ertz, OLB/S
OLB/S, OLB/S, Escobar

looking at team needs that looks like the way we could go. Where we go after that though, we still should look into another later round LB and a RB.

SteelersCanada
03-11-2013, 09:27 PM
We have bigger needs than TE in the first.

Bane
03-11-2013, 09:44 PM

This. I'm down for drafting a tight end, but we have little to no reason to do it in the first round. Miller will be back, and probably has long enough left that we could realistically draft a higher level tight end within the next couple of years.

Hawaii 5-0
03-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Barkevious Mingo wants to play defensive end, not linebacker, in NFL

By Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com
March 11, 2013

http://25.media.tumblr.com/da9219ae895fdfec683645daab1db3b8/tumblr_mjif3zv0cy1rge74zo1_500.jpg

Barkevious Mingo says he can bulk up to 260 pounds and play a 4-3 defensive end in the NFL. (USATSI)
NFL coaches worked out Barkevious Mingo at outside linebacker at the combine

CBSSports.com draft expert Dane Brugler has Mingo going to the Browns at No. 6 overall at OLB. Colleague Rob Rang pegs Mingo as the 21st pick to the Bengals, also at OLB.

But the 6-foot-5 Mingo, who bulked up to 241 pounds before the combine, insists he can play a 4-3 defensive end in the NFL.

“That's what I have been playing my whole career,” Mingo said on WFTL radio in Fort Lauderdale. “I think I'm good at it. I think I can get better at it, which is a plus. Just getting bigger and filling out for that position is what the coaches want to see.

“That's the main thing that are turning their heads away from me at this point. Putting on the weight and show the coaches that I can do it and that's done.”

Mingo said he can add 20 more pounds to his frame.

“Put on 15 prior to the combine,” he said. “I think I can put on a little bit more than that.”

At LSU, Mingo was a speed end who had 15 sacks, 29 tackles for loss, 27 quarterback hurries, and 11 pass breakups in 40 games. Mingo did not become a full-time starter until his junior season in 2012.

He and fellow Tigers defensive end Sam Montgomery bet $5,000 and a car wash on who will be drafted first. It's a wager Mingo is expected to win easily; Montgomery isn't projected as a first-rounder.

For what it's worth, the Browns are moving to a 3-4 defense under new coordinator Ray Horton. The Bengals play a 4-3 under Mike Zimmer.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21854001/barkevious-mingo-wants-to-play-defensive-end-not-linebacker-in-nfl

kan_t
03-12-2013, 09:20 PM
He needs to bulk up anyway. Basically he's saying 'I can play DE or OLB so don't drop me off from your draft board if you're 4-3 defense team'.

STEELMANIAK
03-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Eddie Lacy in the 1st.

Hawaii 5-0
03-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Eddie Lacy in the 1st.

although I also like Eddie Lacy, I would much rather draft Le'Veon Bell in the 3rd and address our needs at S, LB and WR in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Hawaii 5-0
03-18-2013, 01:08 PM
James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell:

Wait a week before posting odds on #Steelers' 1st-rd pick. Currently tossing around ILB Arthur Brown, WRs TAustin & KAllen, S KVaccaro.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

CrickRat23
03-18-2013, 01:39 PM
I just dont know which direction the Steelers should go in this draft. To me, there are so many glaring needs, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I am really hoping for a player who can rush the passer. It just seems to me that our guys did not put much pressure on opposing QB's last year.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
If we lose Sanders I believe we should take a chance on Cordarrelle Patterson I was not that high on him a month ago but we need a playmaker and he could be that playmaker we need, even tho he's very raw we could coach him up to be one of the top receivers in the NFL & we could also draft another receiver in rounds 4-5(Markus Wheaton, Kenny Stills & Marquess Wilson)

JackH
03-19-2013, 10:29 AM

I need some convincing of that.

The Steelers top priority should be playmakers for the passing game. Now, maybe that's a WR or maybe a TE in the first round.

Who is going to make up for the touchdowns Wallace and Heath scored, at least in the beginning of last season, and it might even be closer to half the season?

Spaeth and Paulson can't catch a cold. A guy like Austin is probably going to give you some offensive production to make up for some of what you lost in Wallace and what you will lose in same from the tight ends until Heath comes back. Eifert will give you tight end offensive production that Spaeth and Paulson can't. And he can be split out when Heath gets back. He was split out at Notre Dame quite a bit. More two tight end sets.

Teegre said somewhere that Austin likely will go to the Rams just before the Steelers at #16. That's how it looks to me too, and how it looks to a bunch of guys at NFL.com. So that leaves the Steelers with Eifert. Or Cordarelle Patterson as the next best option in my opinion.

Bane
03-19-2013, 11:18 AM
I need some convincing of that.

The Steelers top priority should be playmakers for the passing game. Now, maybe that's a WR or maybe a TE in the first round.

Who is going to make up for the touchdowns Wallace and Heath scored, at least in the beginning of last season, and it might even be closer to half the season?

Spaeth and Paulson can't catch a cold. A guy like Austin is probably going to give you some offensive production to make up for some of what you lost in Wallace and what you will lose in same from the tight ends until Heath comes back. Eifert will give you tight end offensive production that Spaeth and Paulson can't. And he can be split out when Heath gets back. He was split out at Notre Dame quite a bit. More two tight end sets.

Teegre said somewhere that Austin likely will go to the Rams just before the Steelers at #16. That's how it looks to me too, and how it looks to a bunch of guys at NFL.com. So that leaves the Steelers with Eifert. Or Cordarelle Patterson as the next best option in my opinion.

You don't draft to replace an injured player who is going to return. Drafting a tight end in round one would be a complete waste given who else will likely be available at that point. Our need is bigger at wide receiver, as well as safety and linebacker. Hell, I'd even argue that left guard is a bigger need than tight end.

I'm all for getting a tight end in the third round or so, but definitely not in the first, and probably not in the second.

JackH
03-19-2013, 11:52 AM
You don't draft to replace an injured player who is going to return. Drafting a tight end in round one would be a complete waste given who else will likely be available at that point. Our need is bigger at wide receiver, as well as safety and linebacker. Hell, I'd even argue that left guard is a bigger need than tight end.

I'm all for getting a tight end in the third round or so, but definitely not in the first, and probably not in the second.

Under your scenario (the way things look at this moment) . . .

Who are you playing at tight end the first game of the season?

Who are you playing at left guard the first game of the season? Who is your backup?

Does a tight end like Eifert, in that he can be split out, give you something similar to what you get with say Plaxico?

How old is Heath Miller and how many seasons does he have left? Is he going to be one of the Steelers contract "problems" in the next couple years? Do you get a guarantee when you get ACL surgery that you are going to be as good as you were as soon as you return?

pete74
03-19-2013, 12:27 PM

Heath is getting old, makes a ton of money and may never be the same again after his injury. Drafting a tight end comparable to Jimmy Graham is a great idea.
With that said it dosnt matter what any of us or these idiot self acclaimed gurus think. Steelers have there own ranking system and they stick to it regardless of what we say.
Remember two years ago everyone was certain we would grab a CB? Well we didn't We went the one pposition nobody though we would

Bane
03-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Under your scenario (the way things look at this moment) . . .

Who are you playing at tight end the first game of the season?

Who are you playing at left guard the first game of the season? Who is your backup?

Does a tight end like Eifert, in that he can be split out, give you something similar to what you get with say Plaxico?

How old is Heath Miller and how many seasons does he have left? Is he going to be one of the Steelers contract "problems" in the next couple years? Do you get a guarantee when you get ACL surgery that you are going to be as good as you were as soon as you return?

Heath is 30. We have to wait and see. They can field the backups for a couple of games, especially if we manage to draft a good WR. Left guard right now is Beachum, I believe, and I'm not sure who his backup is. If Warmack or Cooper is there, I'd say they would have to be strong considerations at 17.

While I'm not saying I'd be butthurt about getting a player like Eifert, I just feel like other needs could be addressed better at 17 while still getting a good tight end later on. It's nothing at all against Eifert, really, the dude's pretty freakish. I just feel like Vaccaro, Patterson, Austin, etc. would be better picks that early, while still getting a tight end later on.

Heath is getting old, makes a ton of money and may never be the same again after his injury. Drafting a tight end comparable to Jimmy Graham is a great idea.
With that said it dosnt matter what any of us or these idiot self acclaimed gurus think. Steelers have there own ranking system and they stick to it regardless of what we say.
Remember two years ago everyone was certain we would grab a CB? Well we didn't We went the one pposition nobody though we would

Lol, true. For all we know, we'll wind up with a CB in round one of this draft. The Steelers never draft who I think they're going to. Hell, I'd even go so far as to say they often draft who I think they won't. So, TE, here we come.

Truth be told, I know very little of the salary cap numbers in the future, or how the cap really works. So I can't honestly comment on the future of Heath's contract.

SteelersCanada
03-19-2013, 12:57 PM
There's no TE that warrants a first round pick. I'll go as far to say there's no TE that warrants a second round pick in this draft. Guys like Escobar will be on the board in the fourth, or Michael Williams in the later rounds. OLB, Safety and WR are all more pressing needs.

Eifert and Ertz are no Gronkowski.

teegre
03-19-2013, 01:06 PM

The team needs a tall pass-catcher. And, everyone assumes that that tall receiver will be a WR (I was on that bandwagon, too).

BUT, think about the red-zone. BB loves the TE (always has). Heck, even Pope got a TD. More importantly, the Steelers run a two-TE set on 50% of their plays.

Thus, I am not at all opposed to a TE... because, a TE is indeed a "tall pass-catcher."

R1: Eiffert
R2: Ertz
R3: Escobar

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-19-2013, 01:13 PM
The team needs a tall pass-catcher. And, everyone assumes that that tall receiver will be a WR (I was on that bandwagon, too).

BUT, think about the red-zone. BB loves the TE (always has). Heck, even Pope got a TD. More importantly, the Steelers run a two-TE set on 50% of their plays.

Thus, I am not at all opposed to a TE... because, a TE is indeed a "tall pass-catcher."

I would like us to get Escobar in the 3rd but im hoping someone signs E.Sanders so we can get another extra pick so we can draft a safety in the 3rd also

pete74
03-19-2013, 01:16 PM
There's no TE that warrants a first round pick. I'll go as far to say there's no TE that warrants a second round pick in this draft. Guys like Escobar will be on the board in the fourth, or Michael Williams in the later rounds. OLB, Safety and WR are all more pressing needs.

Eifert and Ertz are no Gronkowski.

Says who? Unless one of us are in an NFL draft room we have no idea were players belong. Listening to magazines and radio hosts are just a guess.

PhantomJB93
03-19-2013, 01:24 PM
I think a lot of people forget Gronkowski was a second round pick as well...going back he'd obviously go in the first now but just saying, coming out of college he looked no better than Eifert or Ertz to most people.

And yeah, I was extremely opposed to the idea of a TE at first but I've warmed up to it. My main opposition is we barely use our second TE though, but that may just be because we've never really had any offensive weapons at the position past Heath. I'm still not huge on picking one at 17 though but in the second round if Ertz (or Eifert if he falls) are available I wouldn't be upset with the pick.

pete74
03-19-2013, 01:49 PM
I think a lot of people forget Gronkowski was a second round pick as well...going back he'd obviously go in the first now but just saying, coming out of college he looked no better than Eifert or Ertz to most people.

And yeah, I was extremely opposed to the idea of a TE at first but I've warmed up to it. My main opposition is we barely use our second TE though, but that may just be because we've never really had any offensive weapons at the position past Heath. I'm still not huge on picking one at 17 though but in the second round if Ertz (or Eifert if he falls) are available I wouldn't be upset with the pick.

If we did take a TE round one I would bet they would trade up into the mid to late 20's

harrison'samonster
03-19-2013, 01:56 PM
If we did take a TE round one I would bet they would trade up into the mid to late 20's

I think this is a good draft to trade back in. And I think the situation the team is in, we could benefit from an extra pick in the top 3 rounds.

pete74
03-19-2013, 01:57 PM
I think this is a good draft to trade back in. And I think the situation the team is in, we could benefit from an extra pick in the top 3 rounds.

Agreed. We need all the picks we can get.

Vis
03-19-2013, 02:02 PM

Someone has to be there at 17 who is coveted by another team enough to trade up. Then it has to be someone we don't need too. Who would that be?

teegre
03-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Someone has to be there at 17 who is coveted by another team enough to trade up. Then it has to be someone we don't need too. Who would that be?

Geno Smith... but, he's likely gone at 8.

EJ Manual is my guess. He's the Ryan Tannehill of this draft: a QB that all of a sudden everyone "has" to have.

Vis
03-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Geno Smith... but, he's likely gone at 8.

EJ Manual is my guess. He's the Ryan Tannehill of this draft: a QB that all of a sudden everyone "has" to have.

Geno will be the first pick.

pete74
03-19-2013, 02:40 PM

No way. They plan on starting Smith at QB

teegre
03-19-2013, 03:07 PM

I highly doubt that KC goes for Geno, now that they just traded a R2 pick for Alex Smith. In the top ten, who knows who takes Geno...

Oakland? Maybe.
Buffalo? Possibly.
Arizona? Likely.

Regardless, my instincts tell me that Dallas is looking strongly at EJ Manual... and so are a few other teams (Oakland, Buffalo, Arizona) who might trade up from the top of R2 (assuming that they didn't draft Geno).

Vis
03-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Geno will be the first pick and KC won't be making it. I thought that was obvious. It will be Clev, Oak, Buf or even Philly trading up.

pete74
03-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Geno will be the first pick and KC won't be making it. I thought that was obvious. It will be Clev, Oak, Buf or even Philly trading up.

Obvious? You think its obvious that someone will trade up to #1 to take Geno? What? Why not trade to nnumber 3 because you know the first 3 won't take him

Vis
03-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Obvious? You think its obvious that someone will trade up to #1 to take Geno? What? Why not trade to nnumber 3 because you know the first 3 won't take him

Yes, because he won't get past the 2nd pick if KC stands pat. The other suitors know that.

FrancoLambert
03-19-2013, 04:01 PM
The BPA on the Steeler board will be picked first. That's Colbert's MO.
We need an infusion of talent everywhere which is why I think he's going to trust his scouting dept. and board at each and every pick.

bornaSteelersfan
03-19-2013, 04:11 PM
KC is clearly looking to trade their #1 pick and will offer it to any suitors. They need more talent than that one pick will give them so if they can get some extra picks this year and even next, they will trade it. Andy Reid is building a team and does not want to simply inherit a team.

pete74
03-19-2013, 04:50 PM

I agree they would like to trade it but there are no Lucks or Griffins this year so I doubt anyonewwill take that first pick considering what they would have to give up. Nobody really stands out as a must have number one pick this year

JackH
03-19-2013, 04:53 PM

This article entitled "NFL draft rankings: Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert has Pro Bowl potential" sounds just like you (and me):

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-03-19/nfl-draft-rankings-2013-te-tight-end-tyler-eifert-zach-ertz

teegre
03-19-2013, 06:28 PM
This article entitled "NFL draft rankings: Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert has Pro Bowl potential" sounds just like you (and me):

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-03-19/nfl-draft-rankings-2013-te-tight-end-tyler-eifert-zach-ertz

Holy crap!!! I should get some sort of commission from Sporting News... the "Big-E" thing has been my mantra for months. LOL

Good find, man.

JackH
03-19-2013, 07:56 PM

The first objective for next season is to make the playoffs, right?

Who are you going to play at tight end for the first 4 games or 6 games or whatever to start next season? A bad start without Heath could effectively end the Steelers season before it ever gets rolling. That is my greatest concern.

Eifert doesn't replace Heath. He fills in for Heath until he gets back, and then he imitates a wide receiver who can score touchdowns that the Steelers don't have. And then when Heath is gone in a few years, one way or another, Eifert is the man.

I like WR Austin in the 1st round and Escobar in the 3rd almost as much as I like Eifert in the 1st and a WR in the 4th, but Austin is less likely to be there at #17 than Eifert is.

Steel Peon
03-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Not that I'm suggesting picking a TE in the 1st round, but we did win SBXL when Heath was a rookie.:noidea:

TheVet
03-20-2013, 01:10 AM
The TE discussion was great. TE really wasn't on my list, but it would definitely make sense. Our backups at TE aren't all that impressive, and then there's Heath's injury, which could be a long, hard recovery. So a solid TE would help now. And when Heath returns, there's nothing wrong with having double TE sets; it helps to alleviate our WR problems. There's also the inevitable age issue, which will begin to appear for Heath at the end of the 4-year contracts that this year's rookie class will sign. I like the idea!

Anyway, we're in a kind of nice position this year, in that we can afford to take the best player available at almost any position - except QB or C, practically. Of course, I wouldn't want to see a RB before round 5, or a WR before round 3.

Another good idea would be to look for opportunities to trade down. (But do the Steelers ever do this?) With so many needs and a relatively flat talent distribution in this draft, we might find ourselves in situations where we could take any of several players. If so, we could just move down a few notches, and grab extra picks. The more picks we have, the better our chances of unearthing a few real contributors. Recent draft history shows that we could really use those extra chances.

kan_t
03-20-2013, 02:42 AM
I don't think the Steelers will give up Paulson this early. Unless they have zero confidence to Miller's rehab, I don't see them taking a TE in the first three rounds.

Galax Steeler
03-20-2013, 03:49 AM
I wouldn't mind getting a tight end around the 3rd pick we need someone to step up this year with Miller being out.

Hawaii 5-0
03-22-2013, 10:31 PM
17. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jarvis Jones OLB, Georgia

Team needs: S/ROLB/WR/LG/CB/NT/TE

Pittsburgh typically takes the best player available at any position of need rather that need be immediate or in the near future. They could take a receiver like Tavon Austin or Keenan Allen to replace Mike Wallace although because of their recent success at drafting wide receivers in the middle rounds it's unlikely they would use a first round pick at the position.

Even though they've recently resigned David Johnson and Matt Spaeth it shouldn't preclude them from taking Tyler Eifert since neither of them are long-term options to potentially replace Heath Miller should he not be able to come back from a serious knee injury.

Pittsburgh's offense was ranked 20th last season so they definitely need someone who can get into the end zone. If either Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper are available they could fill the void at LG regardless of the fact that the Steelers resigned Ramon Foster.

Cooper would especially fit in well with their new zone blocking scheme. It was recently reported that the Steelers were interested in signing free agent LT Jake Long, so if Lane Johnson were to fall he would obviously get some consideration.

Defensively they will look at CB, S, and LB. Kenny Vaccaro would certainly be an option but this draft is particularly deep at that position and they should be able to find a safety in rounds 2-4. They lost Keenan Lewis to the Saints but still have the soon-to-be 33 year old Ike Taylor and promising Cortez Allen but could still look at Desmond Trufant.

The defense also has issues at both inside and outside LB. James Harrison is gone with the largely unproven Jason Worilds left to fill his shoes. At ILB Larry Foote was resigned but he's clearly a liability in coverage. The only ILB worthy of this pick is Alec Ogletree but given his troubles with the law it's unlikely the Steelers would even consider him. This draft is very top heavy with Pass-rushers and given the Steelers placing a priority on rushing the QB this pick will likely be the highest rated one available. Tony Pauline of SI has reported that the Steelers are "Drooling" over the potential of Ezekiel Ansah. If he were to somehow make it out of the top 10 don't be surprised to see the Steelers trade up to get him.

Otherwise it should come down to Jarvis Jones or Barkevious Mingo. While Mingo might have the higher ceiling due to his freakish athletic ability it is Jones who has two years of experience playing OLB in a 3-4 defense as one of the fiercest pass-rushers in the SEC. If not for concerns over his spinal stenosis, which may or may not affect his playing career, he would likely be a top 5 pick.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/21/4125096/nfl-mock-draft-2013-free-agency

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-22-2013, 11:00 PM
what if we went Tyler Eifert in round 1 then Robert Woods or Da'Rick Rogers in round 2??

Thats day 1 impact players then focus on defense and draft a rb in round 4(Marcus Lattimore)

Steel_Bus_24
03-23-2013, 06:01 AM
My wishes for round 1

1.Cooper Falls to us at 17

If Cooper doesnt fall then

2a S kenny vaccaro
2b. TE Eifert

3. Trade back and pick up some more picks an take a Elam or a Wr
Though I know that is unlikely to happen....I can't remember the last time we traded back

pete74
03-23-2013, 06:21 AM
I like the Vaccaro and Eifert pickup

JackH
03-23-2013, 08:36 AM
what if we went Tyler Eifert in round 1 then Robert Woods or Da'Rick Rogers in round 2??

Thats day 1 impact players then focus on defense and draft a rb in round 4(Marcus Lattimore)

You should be doing the drafting for the Steelers.

Eifert is my favorite pick for R1. Austin is my next favorite, and then it would be Escobar in R3.

Woods or Rogers or Stedman Bailey, Terrance Williams, Ryan Swope, Quinton Patton, could be there when the Steelers pick in R3.

R2 you could take a S if somebody likes Elam falls, or OLB. R4 looks likes the round to take a RB.

So your draft looks like this:
R1: Eifert
R2: S or OLB
R3: WR
R4: RB

The Steelers had the #1 defense last season. The offense was #21. 27 passing TDs. Wallace and Heath accounted for 18 of those TDs. Of course, Wallace is gone and we don't know when Heath will be back.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. How is the Steelers offense going to be better rather than much worse to start next season?

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-23-2013, 09:23 AM
You should be doing the drafting for the Steelers.

Eifert is my favorite pick for R1. Austin is my next favorite, and then it would be Escobar in R3.

Woods or Rogers or Stedman Bailey, Terrance Williams, Ryan Swope, Quinton Patton, could be there when the Steelers pick in R3.

R2 you could take a S if somebody likes Elam falls, or OLB. R4 looks likes the round to take a RB.

So your draft looks like this:
R1: Eifert
R2: S or OLB
R3: WR
R4: RB

The Steelers had the #1 defense last season. The offense was #21. 27 passing TDs. Wallace and Heath accounted for 18 of those TDs. Of course, Wallace is gone and we don't know when Heath will be back.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. How is the Steelers offense going to be better rather than much worse to start next season?

I was thinking maybe
1. Tyler Eifert
2. Da'Rick Rogers(Stock rising fast after his pro day, and if he can keep his head straight he'll be the the steal of the draft)
3. Phillip Thomas
4. Marcus Lattimore
5. Jonathan Bostic

Btw defense is not that big of a problem as people think imo but replacements for the future does to to be made meaning Safety, LB & Corner

Bane
03-23-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm hoping they grab Brian Schwenke. The Steelers need a guard. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Hawaii 5-0
03-23-2013, 05:09 PM

and Schwenke has the type of positional flexibility that Tomlin likes, being able to play OG or OC.

most draft sites I've seen have him getting selected in the 3rd or 4th round...

JackH
03-23-2013, 05:50 PM
I was thinking maybe
1. Tyler Eifert
2. Da'Rick Rogers(Stock rising fast after his pro day, and if he can keep his head straight he'll be the the steal of the draft)
3. Phillip Thomas
4. Marcus Lattimore
5. Jonathan Bostic

Btw defense is not that big of a problem as people think imo but replacements for the future does to to be made meaning Safety, LB & Corner

Makes sense to me. It's reasonable to think your guys will be there when the Steelers pick, except for Bostic. I think he'll likely go in the 3rd, no later than the 4th. If you are going to go ILB in the R5, I think Michael Mauti from Penn State would be a guy you could get there. You can see that Hawaii 5-0 has him in R6 in his draft. I really like him, but it's a matter of if he can get past all the knee surgeries.

This is going to be the wildest and craziest draft ever, with a lot of moving up and down. But I think you have the right mindset as to what the Steelers priorities are, and where in the draft they might be best addressed.

Bane
03-23-2013, 08:18 PM
and Schwenke has the type of positional flexibility that Tomlin likes, being able to play OG or OC.

most draft sites I've seen have him getting selected in the 3rd or 4th round...

I think he'd be a more than viable candidate for starter at LG, if not a Legursky-type of player (potentially better).

pete74
03-24-2013, 08:06 AM
We need someone who can come in and play well right away. We can no longer afford to sit a player for 3 years. Ben is 31 and has about 4 years left. Alot of you will say he has more but I doubt it. He is always hurt. He has only played one full season in his entire career. He gets sacked and hit more then most QB's and that will definitely effect the length of his career.

We all know how the 80's and 90's went without a franchise QB. You can't win in this league without a good QB. Ben has 4 years and we need to have an awesome draft if we want any chance of winning another ring before Ben retires and we slip back down to were we were before Ben.

With that said all I care is that we draft someone who can come in and help this team from the start. We really should go after a WR or TE to give Ben some more weapons. He brought our team back to relevance and we should stock up to help him go out with a bang. If we give him the weapons I'm certain he can bring us another title.

JackH
03-24-2013, 09:10 AM
We need someone who can come in and play well right away. We can no longer afford to sit a player for 3 years. Ben is 31 and has about 4 years left. Alot of you will say he has more but I doubt it. He is always hurt. He has only played one full season in his entire career. He gets sacked and hit more then most QB's and that will definitely effect the length of his career.

We all know how the 80's and 90's went without a franchise QB. You can't win in this league without a good QB. Ben has 4 years and we need to have an awesome draft if we want any chance of winning another ring before Ben retires and we slip back down to were we were before Ben.

With that said all I care is that we draft someone who can come in and help this team from the start. We really should go after a WR or TE to give Ben some more weapons. He brought our team back to relevance and we should stock up to help him go out with a bang. If we give him the weapons I'm certain he can bring us another title.

Exactly.

It's difficult for me to see how Tyler Eifert wouldn't help right from the start, whether Heath plays or not. Eifert can be split out, as he did at Notre Dame. You could actually see the Steelers run 3 tight-end sets with Heath and Spaeth, an awesome blocker but crap pass catcher, and Eifert split. On two tight-end sets, Heath and Eifert would be real dangerous. And of course Eifert would fill in for Heath until he gets back. Paulson is a 7th round draft pick and that's how he plays.

Heath had all 3 ligaments torn. Nobody can say with any degree of certainty when he'll be ready to go. Mendenhall just had the ACL torn. He came back the 5th game, but was never 100%, according to Colbert. You just don't know about Heath. And he was Ben's most effective weapon last season. And the next most effective weapon Wallace is gone.

There are several WRs I like with the Steelers first pick, but I'm not as convinced they will be as much of a factor from day one as Eifert could be.

I like some other TEs like Ertz in R2 and Escobar in R3, but those guys aren't as fast as Eifert and they wouldn't be as effective as Eifert spit out I wouldn't think.

pete74
03-24-2013, 09:44 AM
I agree. The wide receivers in the first are good but there isn't any one person that stands out like Green or Johnson. Eifert would be an awesome pick. We could trade back to the mid to late 20's and grab him and another 2ND rounder

Bane
03-24-2013, 09:46 AM
I agree. The wide receivers in the first are good but there isn't any one person that stands out like Green or Johnson. Eifert would be an awesome pick. We could trade back to the mid to late 20's and grab him and another 2ND rounder

If we got another 2nd rounder, I would be far more than okay with Eifert.

cbrunn
03-24-2013, 10:55 AM

Grab Schwenke and than move Pouncey to guard, and let Schwenke take the center

Gilbert - Pouncey - Schwenke - DeCastro - Adams

bring Beachum being a backup guard or tackle

Hawaii 5-0
03-24-2013, 07:06 PM
2013 NFL Draft: Two prospects go in opposite directions after Pro Days

By Neal Coolong on Mar 22 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/10212947/151617594.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei checked out medically at his Pro Day while Georgia's Jarvis Jones suffered a major setback.

If you're hearing quiet thuds on the ground, it could be the sound of millions of dollars falling out of the pockets of Georgia outside linebacker Jarvis Jones.

He reportedly ran a 4.92 in the 40 at his Pro Day Thursday, all but assuring he'll be available for the Steelers with the 17th overall pick. He'll probably be available for several teams after that as well.

His mediocre 20 reps of 225 pounds in the bench press aren't going to help a player who has been knocked for his ability to win 1-on-1s at the point of attack.

According to NFL.com, Jones said "I'm a football player. It's about football, right? I'm a football player. That's what I do. At the end of the day, you get those drills - I'm not saying they ain't worth nothing - but you get those drills, running the 40 and all that stuff. You could get someone off the street who can run a 4.3, but they can't play football. That's easy."

Those guys who ran a 4.3 at least show the ability to get from Point A to B at the speed of an NFL player. He does make a realistic point, although, it's one made by those who do not perform well in those drills.

Utah's Star Lotulelei did not disappoint in those drills. He repped 225 pounds 38 times on the bench, and had an impressive 4.65 time in the short shuttle.

More importantly, though, the alleged heart issue that kept him out of workouts at the NFL Scouting Combine were put to rest. Doctors fully cleared him, saying the abnormality that caused his left ventricle to only be pumping blood at 44 percent efficiency (55-70 percent is considered normal) is gone, and could simply have been caused by a cold.

So the Steelers can scratch his name off their list of likely picks at No. 17. It was fun while it lasted.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/22/4134750/2013-nfl-draft-prospects-steelers-pro-days-rumors

Hawaii 5-0
03-25-2013, 01:53 AM
2013 PFT mock draft, Version 1

Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2013

It makes no sense to do mock drafts before free agency starts, even though everyone does. It makes somewhat less nonsense to do one two weeks into free agency, but things can still change until it’s time for the first pick to be made.

Then again, it arguably makes no sense to do mock drafts at all, since it’s inherently a crapshoot that gives the experts and those who think they are something to do.

It’s even more of a crapshoot in 2013.

But we’ll shoot the crap anyway, since we haven’t done it yet this year and plenty of you have been asking for us to do one.

Probably so that you can complain about how bad it is.

So complain away.

1. Chiefs: DE Dion Jordan, Oregon.

2. Jaguars: OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M.

3. Raiders: DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida.

4. Eagles: DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri.

5. Lions: CB Desmond Trufant, Washington.

6. Browns: DE Ziggy Ansah, BYU.

7. Cardinals: DE Barkevious Mingo, LSU.

8. Bills: QB Matt Barkley, USC.

9. Jets: CB Dee Milliner, Alabama.

10. Titans: OG Chance Warmack, Alabama.

11. Chargers: OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan.

12. Dolphins: OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma.

13. Buccaneers: WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia.

14. Panthers: DT Star Lotulelei, Utah.

15. Saints: WR Keenan Allen, California.

16. Rams: OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina.

17. Steelers: RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama.

18. Cowboys: S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas.

19. Giants: DE Bjoern Werner, Florida State.

20. Bears: LB Jarvis Jones, Georgia.

21. Bengals: DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina.

22. Rams (from Redskins): OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama.

23. Vikings: QB Geno Smith, West Virginia.

24. Colts: WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee.

25. Vikings (from Seahawks): LB Manti Te’o, Notre Dame.

26. Packers: TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame.

27. Texans: WR Deandre Hopkins, Clemson.

28. Broncos: S Matt Elam, Florida.

29. Patriots: CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State.

30. Falcons: DE Cornellius Carradine, Florida State.

31. 49ers: NT John Jenkins, Georgia.

32. Ravens: OT Kyle Long, Oregon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/24/pft-mock-draft-1-0/

kan_t
03-25-2013, 02:57 AM
They better not use their #17 on Lacy, especially when players like Jarvis Jones, Vaccaro are still on the board.

Steel_Bus_24
03-25-2013, 05:10 AM
Im really starting to root against the possibility of using the 17th on Jones.....Sounds more an more like we would be getting another Lazy Version Woodley

His tape doesn't impress me to boot

teegre
03-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Vaccaro, Jones, Elam, Eifert, & Patterson are all available... and he says Eddie Lacy.

Uh...

JackH
03-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Vaccaro, Jones, Elam, Eifert, & Patterson are all available... and he says Eddie Lacy.

Uh...

Yeah, Lattimore in R4. like in Hawaii 5-0's draft, sounds a whole lot better to me than Lacy in R4. Also, I don't see Geno Smith falling to #23, especially with Barkley going #8. Hey, but I hope the QBs do fall to #17. Gives the Steelers a better opportunity to trade down.

Florio has OT Johnson going to the Dolphins at #8. I've seen the Dolphins taking CB Rhodes in quite a few mock drafts, or Johnson. Rhodes is going at #29 according to Florio,

Ok Hawaii 5-0, I see the light here on your plan to trade down with the Dolphins. They want both Johnson and Rhodes. That happens by trading down with the Steelers, just like you keep saying, every time you post.

OX1947
03-25-2013, 09:12 AM
If there was a year to trade down and add more 2nd and 3rd rounders, its this year.

pete74
03-25-2013, 10:14 AM
I would definitely take Jones over Lacy. I think we need to go safety, tight end or defensive line. We need a pass rusher but the other three are more important in the first.

Hawaii 5-0
03-25-2013, 12:37 PM
If there was a year to trade down and add more 2nd and 3rd rounders, its this year.

I couldn't agree more, this is a very deep draft with a lot of very good prospects available after the first round...

Grav
03-25-2013, 01:16 PM
See NFL website has Tavon Austin being mocked to us today. Would love either Jones, Austin, Vaccaro or Eifert.

SteelersCanada
03-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Mike Florio is an idiot. Geno Smith into the twenties?

He doesn't know his ass from his elbow.

Hawaii 5-0
03-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Mike Florio is an idiot. Geno Smith into the twenties?

He doesn't know his ass from his elbow.

yeah, that's the one pick that stood out to me also as being absurd and showing how little Florio actually knows about football.

I don't see any way Geno Smith gets past Buffalo at #8.

teegre
03-25-2013, 03:19 PM
See NFL website has Tavon Austin being mocked to us today. Would love either Jones, Austin, Vaccaro or Eifert.

Add Elam, and that's my list, as well.

Steeler7BR
03-25-2013, 03:28 PM

Can anybody tell me why you want Vaccaro. I mean I think he is such a raw talent as the other safeties in the draft and he will definitly go in the 1st round. And I don't know why his stock was falling now in the off season but I actually like Elam beter then Vaccaro.

SteelersCanada
03-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Can anybody tell me why you want Vaccaro. I mean I think he is such a raw talent as the other safeties in the draft and he will definitly go in the 1st round. And I don't know why his stock was falling now in the off season but I actually like Elam beter then Vaccaro.

His coverage skills are unbelievable.

He's not raw.

He was not asked to ballhawk at UT and when he was, he picked passes off.

He can play in the box and in coverage which reminds me a lot of Ryan Clark.

Those are just a few reasons off the top of my head why he's going to be an outstanding safety.

OX1947
03-25-2013, 03:59 PM

He's not raw.

Those are just a few reasons off the top of my head why he's going to be an outstanding safety.

If Vaccaro is there, I believe the Steelers will get him. However, I just do not think he is going to last til 17. I really think the Steelers need to add more early round picks. I would wait and see who falls but if the hot spot players get picked before 17, Steelers should trade down and maybe add a second 2nd rounder.

Steeler7BR
03-25-2013, 04:01 PM

He's not raw.

Really you wanna tell me now that the College play will always transpire to the NFL level. No it doesn't. I looked a bit of tape on him and to say he can play in the box is very prejudged I would say. Based on what I saw of him I didn't see a very outstanding play in the Box. I agree he has good coverage skills but to say he will adapt that 100% and very well into the NFL can't be said right now.

I don't say he is a bad player or he wouldn't be a good asset for us in the future but I would say that he isn't a "sure enough thing" so to say for us to draft him in the first round. Thats my point on Vaccaro.

SteelersCanada
03-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Really you wanna tell me now that the College play will always transpire to the NFL level. No it doesn't. I looked a bit of tape on him and to say he can play in the box is very prejudged I would say. Based on what I saw of him I didn't see a very outstanding play in the Box. I agree he has good coverage skills but to say he will adapt that 100% and very well into the NFL can't be said right now.

I don't say he is a bad player or he wouldn't be a good asset for us in the future but I would say that he isn't a "sure enough thing" so to say for us to draft him in the first round. Thats my point on Vaccaro.

Go ahead and read any other post I've ever had regarding collegiate statistics and NFL success. I'll wait.

Oh, you're back and saw that I never once said and in fact was very vocal in saying they don't translate? That's funny.

The thing with Vaccaro is that he pretty much is a sure thing. I don't scout players on their stats or their college success, I scout them on film. What did they show me, game in and game out, on film that proves he can be successful in the NFL? Vaccaro was consistent in his play in coverage and this is something that can't necessarily be taught. His coverage ability blows any other Safety out of the water and it's not even close. His consistent play and his ability to come up and make the tackle in the box is something that can't be ignored.

I'm not sure what you meant by 'we're not sure it's going to translate' because, why wouldn't it? What has he shown you on film that would make you come to the conclusion that his coverage ability wouldn't translate? I'm not being aggressive as this conversation just got interesting and I'm wondering if I missed something on this kid. This kind of coverage ability doesn't simply diminish because he's going to the next level as, often times, it looked like he was going on instincts rather than a given play. His ability to blanket and his over the top coverage is truly impressive. This is a kid that has the potential to start immediately in our defense and if he's paired up with someone like Matt Elam, watch out.

Steeldude
03-25-2013, 05:16 PM
I scout them on film. .

And you just happened to have seen all of the Longhorn's games this season? Or are you saying you have exclusive game film on Vacarro?

Steeler7BR
03-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Go ahead and read any other post I've ever had regarding collegiate statistics and NFL success. I'll wait.

Oh, you're back and saw that I never once said and in fact was very vocal in saying they don't translate? That's funny.

The thing with Vaccaro is that he pretty much is a sure thing. I don't scout players on their stats or their college success, I scout them on film. What did they show me, game in and game out, on film that proves he can be successful in the NFL? Vaccaro was consistent in his play in coverage and this is something that can't necessarily be taught. His coverage ability blows any other Safety out of the water and it's not even close. His consistent play and his ability to come up and make the tackle in the box is something that can't be ignored.

I'm not sure what you meant by 'we're not sure it's going to translate' because, why wouldn't it? What has he shown you on film that would make you come to the conclusion that his coverage ability wouldn't translate? I'm not being aggressive as this conversation just got interesting and I'm wondering if I missed something on this kid. This kind of coverage ability doesn't simply diminish because he's going to the next level as, often times, it looked like he was going on instincts rather than a given play. His ability to blanket and his over the top coverage is truly impressive. This is a kid that has the potential to start immediately in our defense and if he's paired up with someone like Matt Elam, watch out.

Actually I didn't wanna say that you think that college success always translate into the NFL I just said you brought his abilities up as they are a "sure" thing.

As for Vaccaro first of all I see and acknowledge that he comes up consistently in the box to make the tackle which is good but I think he is very inconsistent in making those tackles and further more he sometimes is vulnerable stepping up to soon to potential runs.

As for his coverage skills he is very good in zone coverage. He makes good plays in 1/3 and in 1/2 field zones which seems very good. His footwork is very impressive he has fluid hips and makes good and quick reads in coverage. I think he will be a good zone player in the NFL but I wouldn't say that it is a given right away. His man coverage seems very average to me going on into the pros. I don't see him be effective in covering the slot and he really lacks of press coverage and jams on the line I would say.

I actually like Vaccaro as a player but I don't know if he is our guy for the 1st round. I don't think he has more upside then a lot of other safeties in this draft and to say he will be a stud in the NFL is a little prejudged I would say. I think he is not worth a 17th overall pick. But thats just my take I wouldn't blow people away who are saying they like Vaccaro.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Actually I didn't wanna say that you think that college success always translate into the NFL I just said you brought his abilities up as they are a "sure" thing.

As for Vaccaro first of all I see and acknowledge that he comes up consistently in the box to make the tackle which is good but I think he is very inconsistent in making those tackles and further more he sometimes is vulnerable stepping up to soon to potential runs.

As for his coverage skills he is very good in zone coverage. He makes good plays in 1/3 and in 1/2 field zones which seems very good. His footwork is very impressive he has fluid hips and makes good and quick reads in coverage. I think he will be a good zone player in the NFL but I wouldn't say that it is a given right away. His man coverage seems very average to me going on into the pros. I don't see him be effective in covering the slot and he really lacks of press coverage and jams on the line I would say.

I actually like Vaccaro as a player but I don't know if he is our guy for the 1st round. I don't think he has more upside then a lot of other safeties in this draft and to say he will be a stud in the NFL is a little prejudged I would say. I think he is not worth a 17th overall pick. But thats just my take I wouldn't blow people away who are saying they like Vaccaro.

You don't see him being effective in the slot?? You think he's a better zone than man coverage I don't think so, I'd say his man coverage is a little better than his zone and thus he is the best man coverage safety in the class. You say you watched tape on him I guess you completely missed him play very well against tavon austin the most explosive slot wr in college.

teegre
03-25-2013, 07:48 PM
play very well against tavon austin the most explosive slot wr in college.

Having watched 90% of WVU's games, and also wanting to keep an eye on the safeties this year, this was a very intriguing match-up.

First though... in another game...
Austin made Tony Jefferson look foolish. At one point, Jefferson got juked so badly, that Jefferson stopped, looked at where Austin had been, and put his hands out to the sides, as if to say, "WTF just happened!?!"

Juxtapose that with the way that Vaccaro played Austin (very well)... and it makes Vaccaro look even better.

Hawaii 5-0
03-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Having watched 90% of WVU's games, and also wanting to keep an eye on the safeties this year, this was a very intriguing match-up.

First though... in another game...
Austin made Tony Jefferson look foolish. At one point, Jefferson got juked so badly, that Jefferson stopped, looked at where Austin had been, and put his hands out to the sides, as if to say, "WTF just happened!?!"

Juxtapose that with the way that Vaccaro played Austin (very well)... and it makes Vaccaro look even better.

I would be very happy if Vaccaro is the Steelers' 1st round selection! :thumbsup:

Steeler7BR
03-26-2013, 02:59 AM
You don't see him being effective in the slot?? You think he's a better zone than man coverage I don't think so, I'd say his man coverage is a little better than his zone and thus he is the best man coverage safety in the class. You say you watched tape on him I guess you completely missed him play very well against tavon austin the most explosive slot wr in college.

You're right I missed him playing against WVU. Of course I done that now. Hm... what should I say here. First of all Vaccaro was lined up like 2/3 or 3/4 of the time against Tavon Austin which of course is a very good test for him.

I have to say he had him pretty good in press coverage here. But I think it was more to Tavons bad play as for Vaccaros good play. Tavon tried to play physical here try to jam him and get seperation which of course brought Kenny a huge advantage but it sometimes fall back on him in the run game because he could barely interfere here as Tavon was blocking him. Of course when you are in man coverage you are vulnerable to that but he didn't excel in that situation either so no good note there.

As he played him off.. man he looked awful. He got beat on an out route 4 times in the game. I really have to say that gave me kind of a laugh here as it happend the 3rd or 4th time. I think Tavon got pretty good laughs out of that too that day.^^ Not but seriously he played bad there wasn't anywhere near him in those situations which you can't do. And I have to add something here. I'm not sure here but I guess WVU offense don't have much read routes for the WRs here because Tavon even ran an out route as Kenny was all over those plays and left the middle wide open. If Tavon had options there he would have beaten him badly.

Summarizing I have to say that I can't give him credit for that game. Not that he played really bad but I saw him way better so it leaves doubts to me in his game especially in man coverage. Ehm... how should I go on... as he played Tavon off he totally missed to close on on him. He gave him a space off about 3-4 yards in those situations. Way too much! Even in a 4&9 situation which gave WVU a new 1st down. I can see why he wanted to do that because he don't want to get beat deep there but thats no excuse.

Overall I don't wanna knock him totally here but not his best day. But Tavon didn't play very good either so I really am kind of disappointed from his game here.

@WokeUpWithaWoodley: You're right he plays really solid man for a Safety but the best man cover guy in this draft is definitly Elam. He can play man better, he can tackle better. Vaccaro is more of a zone type of guy with great insticts and very good cover fundamentals (Elam has them too but overall Vaccaro is better in zone). Espacially inpressive I think is Vaccaros range when he covers 1/2 deep. He really plays big there but still to me I like Elam better but both more in the late 1st or early 2nd. Wouldn't have a problem if we traded back and go for either of one here but not with the 17th sorry. There are too many guys that are valueble options later in the draft (Bacarri Rambo, DJ Swearinger). But this is just my opinion here I just think that Vaccaro wont be that great of a safety to take the chances here.

SteelersCanada
03-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 28m ago

Mike Tomlin's presence at Texas Pro Day could, of course, link Pittsburgh to Kenny Vaccaro as a possible successor to Troy Polamalu.

Followed by ...

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 22m ago

@RapSheet @AlbertBreer Could also be looking at Alex Okafor to replace James Harrison.

Thoughts / opinions on this guys?

edit -- I'd think Vaccaro is more the replacement for Clark than Troy as his game is very similar to Ryan's. I'd think Matt Elam would be more of Troy's replacement. Eh, whatever, Vaccaro is a hell'uva player and I wouldn't mind us taking him at all.

teegre
03-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 28m ago

Mike Tomlin's presence at Texas Pro Day could, of course, link Pittsburgh to Kenny Vaccaro as a possible successor to Troy Polamalu.

Followed by ...

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 22m ago

@RapSheet @AlbertBreer Could also be looking at Alex Okafor to replace James Harrison.

Thoughts / opinions on this guys?

edit -- I'd think Vaccaro is more the replacement for Clark than Troy as his game is very similar to Ryan's. I'd think Matt Elam would be more of Troy's replacement. Eh, whatever, Vaccaro is a hell'uva player and I wouldn't mind us taking him at all.

Or...

R1: Vaccaro
R2: Elam
R3: Okafor

SteelersCanada
03-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Or...

R1: Vaccaro
R2: Elam
R3: Okafor

If Okafor drops to the third round and we get him, I'm going to run down Toronto naked and cheering.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-26-2013, 01:47 PM
If Okafor drops to the third round and we get him, I'm going to run down Toronto naked and cheering.

That's a name you don't hear a lot of anymore. It will be interesting to see what happens to him. Another name I remember being consider a high pick earlier was Terrence Williams he also could fall into round 3.

teegre
03-26-2013, 03:05 PM

If those three were indeed the picks (i.e. R2 & R3 would be steals)... I think that a LOT of Steelers fans would be running naked in the streets... of New York... come next February... holding up "#7" signs. :wink02:

Hawaii 5-0
03-26-2013, 03:07 PM

you're safe from being arrested, Okafor won't make it out of Round 2.

teegre
03-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Lemonier versus Okafor
Discuss...

Hawaii 5-0
03-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Lemonier versus Okafor
Discuss...

here is Walter Football's scouting report on Okafor:

Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

Height: 6-4. Weight: 261. Arm: 33 1/8. Hand: 9.
Projected 40 Time: 4.73.

Projected Round (2013): 1-2.

3/2/13: Okafor had a good senior season and was a consistent pass-rusher. His job got harder after Jackson Jeffcoat went out for the season with a torn pectoral, but Okafor remained productive. The senior totaled 54 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 16.5 tackles for a loss, four forced fumbles, a blocked kick and a pass batted in 2012.

Okafor performed well at the Senior Bowl. He started out the week on fire before cooling down some. Oklahoma offensive tackle Lane Johnson told WalterFootball.com that Okafor was the best pass-rusher he went against in college; NFL teams value that kind of feedback.

Okafor went out with a bang this season as he dominated Oregon State with 4.5 sacks, eight tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss and a forced fumble. Okafor came close to a few other sacks and set up his teammates to sack the quarterback. He was dominating the right tackle with speed rushes and bull rushes.

Oklahoma tackle Lane Johnson combined to hold Okafor in check, and it was his worst game of the season. However, he was Texas' best defensive lineman and a more consistent producer of splash plays than teammate Jackson Jeffcoat was. Okafor beats offensive tackles with speed, strength and a repertoire of pass-rushing moves.

Okafor made two massive plays to help his team almost pull out a win against West Virginia. He beat the right tackle with a speed rush just before halftime, dropped his shoulder to get leverage and planted Geno Smith on his back. The hit forced the ball out and Jackson Jeffcoat recovered it just over the goal line for a Longhorns' touchdown.

In the fourth quarter with Texas down by three, Okafor made a game-changing play. He bull-rushed the right tackle straight into Smith. Okafor reached out while falling to the ground and slapped the ball out of Smith's hand. The Longhorns recovered the ball at West Virginia's 12-yard line, but they missed their field goal attempt. Okafor also registered a blocked kick in the game and a number of other pressures on Smith.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013OLB3-4.php

Galax Steeler
03-26-2013, 03:33 PM
you're safe from being arrested, Okafor won't make it out of Round 2.

I have to agree with this there is no way. I guess it don't hurt to dream big on stuff like this.

teegre
03-26-2013, 03:41 PM
I have to agree with this there is no way. I guess it don't hurt to dream big on stuff like this.

So... what your saying is... that my mock draft might be slightly delusional.

R1: Kenny Vaccaro
R2: Matt Elam
R3: Tyler Eifert
R4: Tavon Austin
R5: Luke Joeckel
R6: Dee Milliner
R6: Dion Jordan
R7: Jonathan Cooper

Hawaii 5-0
03-26-2013, 03:43 PM
So... what your saying is... that my mock draft might be slightly delusional.

R1: Kenny Vaccaro
R2: Matt Elam
R3: Tyler Eifert
R4: Tavon Austin
R5: Luke Joeckel
R6: Dee Milliner
R6: Dion Jordan
R7: Jonathan Cooper

actually I think Round 4 is a little too early for Tavon Austin, have you ever seen how small he is?

pete74
03-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Ok for definitely won't make it out of the second and may even be a first rounder. I would love to get him in the second but I doubt he will be there long enough for us to grab him

teegre
03-26-2013, 03:46 PM
actually I think Round 4 is a little too early for Tavon Austin, have you ever seen how small he is?

Ha, ha, ha... that was awesome!!!

teegre
03-26-2013, 03:53 PM
I have a lot of questions (some rhetorical... for me to find out).

Okafor is a great pass-rusher... but... can he play OLB? Is Lemonier actually the better "all-around" OLB prospect? If they are both there, who should be drafted?

Where is each projected? If Okafor is projected top 40, but Lemonier might slip into R3... and if they're both about the same... might it make more sense to trade back (to 60), and acquire an extra pick?

How would it be possible to get one of them AND also get Matt Elam?

pete74
03-27-2013, 05:31 AM
Just saw a new mock on yahoo were Dion Jordan drops to us at 17. Can't say I can see that happening but I guess there is always one or two top 10 picks who drop back for no apparent reason. I don't know enough about Jordan to comment because I don'texpect him to make it out of the top 5 and therfore never really read up on him

teegre
03-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Just saw a new mock on yahoo were Dion Jordan drops to us at 17. Can't say I can see that happening but I guess there is always one or two top 10 picks who drop back for no apparent reason. I don't know enough about Jordan to comment because I don'texpect him to make it out of the top 5 and therfore never really read up on him

Most mocks have him top 5, if not top 2. Some even have him at 1.

Jones dropping is a possibility. Jordan dropping is simply not going to happen.

pete74
03-27-2013, 08:25 AM
I know, that's why I posted this. Every draft had him top 5. Nothing is certain come draft day so never say never

ebsteelers
03-27-2013, 08:29 AM
here is Walter Football's scouting report on Okafor:

Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

Height: 6-4. Weight: 261. Arm: 33 1/8. Hand: 9.
Projected 40 Time: 4.73.

Projected Round (2013): 1-2.

3/2/13: Okafor had a good senior season and was a consistent pass-rusher. His job got harder after Jackson Jeffcoat went out for the season with a torn pectoral, but Okafor remained productive. The senior totaled 54 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 16.5 tackles for a loss, four forced fumbles, a blocked kick and a pass batted in 2012.

Okafor performed well at the Senior Bowl. He started out the week on fire before cooling down some. Oklahoma offensive tackle Lane Johnson told WalterFootball.com that Okafor was the best pass-rusher he went against in college; NFL teams value that kind of feedback.

Okafor went out with a bang this season as he dominated Oregon State with 4.5 sacks, eight tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss and a forced fumble. Okafor came close to a few other sacks and set up his teammates to sack the quarterback. He was dominating the right tackle with speed rushes and bull rushes.

Oklahoma tackle Lane Johnson combined to hold Okafor in check, and it was his worst game of the season. However, he was Texas' best defensive lineman and a more consistent producer of splash plays than teammate Jackson Jeffcoat was. Okafor beats offensive tackles with speed, strength and a repertoire of pass-rushing moves.

Okafor made two massive plays to help his team almost pull out a win against West Virginia. He beat the right tackle with a speed rush just before halftime, dropped his shoulder to get leverage and planted Geno Smith on his back. The hit forced the ball out and Jackson Jeffcoat recovered it just over the goal line for a Longhorns' touchdown.

In the fourth quarter with Texas down by three, Okafor made a game-changing play. He bull-rushed the right tackle straight into Smith. Okafor reached out while falling to the ground and slapped the ball out of Smith's hand. The Longhorns recovered the ball at West Virginia's 12-yard line, but they missed their field goal attempt. Okafor also registered a blocked kick in the game and a number of other pressures on Smith.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013OLB3-4.php

Anyone see Okafor against Oregon State in the bowl game?

Granted he wasnt playing against a star tackle, but he was eating those boys for lunch

Steeler7BR
03-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Lemonier versus Okafor
Discuss...

I would say this match up is not even close. Alex Okafor is clearly the better player then Lemonier.

And actually I would really like us drafting Alex Okafor. Here's why. Okafor is a very good Pass rusher. He is very balanced in speed rushes and bull rushes. He like to use both and can really create probles for the tackles. He has a very solid first step I would say and can burn some blackers pretty good. But not only in the passing game I think he has real potential as a good run player too. He's definitly strong enough to set the edge. He can get of blocks pretty solid. So drafting Okafor would really be a good decision in my mind. As a first round pick especially at the 17th pick that we're holding he would be kind of a reach I would say but I wouldn't shake my head if we would draft him at 17. An ideal player for our 2nd round pick if he's still available.

Corey Lemonier isn't necessarily a bad player but I think his stock is a little bit too high at this point. Theres a reason why he was considered I think like a 4th round pick before the combine. And I think thats kind of the round he should go. I wouldn't knock teams going for him in the 3rd because of the upside he brings with his athleticism but still more of a 4th rounder to me. His pass rushing I would consider is kind of average at this point. You don't get consistent pressure out of him. Thats due to his below average first steps I would say because he almost never gets any good start and I think his speed rushing is only effective if he gets it ones in a while. His bull rushing technique is also kind of questianable, I really don't see him getting good pushes most of the time and thats why he isn't that effective I'd like him to be. What also got to my attention that he barely looks what happens around him and barely gets his hand up for a potential block or recognizes a fake run or something. Against the run he isn't really bad but still not as good as Okafor which is no shame but still I think he should work on that a little because he's strong enough to be better vs. the run. If he can work on that and get a little more effective in pushing some O-liners around I'lI think he can be a good player. But still, more of a prospect to me so 4th round.

A guy that deserves some kind of attention too to be a future OLB for us is Sean Porter. I really like this guy. He played at Texas A&M in 2011 in a 3-4 defense as a OLB and in 2012 they converted to some type of 4-3 or hybrid 4-3/3-4 defense as he often played the OLB in a 4-3. He is a very athletic kid with great speed and something that both the other guys don't have (or rarely), he has good coverage skills. He would have no problem covering a TE in man, playing a little zone or tackle RBs in the flat. Of course thats not the main thing a 3-4 OLB should be able to do for us but it adds another dimension to his game which is always very good. As a 3-4 OLB he has very good pass rushing skills. Of course he is not the best player in the draft at that but he can hold his own there. He has a very quick first step and he mostly gets great starts at the line. He has very decent speed rushing but he can also push O-line man with bull rushes and get the Quarterbacks attention in a hurry. He has good tackling, barely misses one. And another good part about his game is his great awareness. He reacts very good to any kind of fakes and will be the first guy who would come back if the QB throws in the flat when hes covering deep. He has basicly a very good feel for the game. He is a pick maybe between the 2nd or 3rd round. I would go for him at the end of the 2nd round but for us he would be more of a 3rd rounder I would say. If we don't draft a OLB in the first 2 rounds and he's still their I think we should go for him.

At the end I would be pleased if we would go with Worlids and Okafor or Porter in the new season. As we probably don't bring James back this wouldn't be a better situation of course but maybe a good situation to look in the futrue. I would like to have a surer situation when such a important piece of our defense like #92 is leaving but I guess thats not gonna happen so we have to roll with something like that.

Hawaii 5-0
03-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Anyone see Okafor against Oregon State in the bowl game?

Granted he wasnt playing against a star tackle, but he was eating those boys for lunch

yeah, Okafor had 4.5 sacks, eight tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss and a forced fumble against Oregon State.

not too bad...:wink02:

teegre
03-27-2013, 01:00 PM
yeah, Okafor had 4.5 sacks, eight tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss and a forced fumble against Oregon State.

not too bad...:wink02:

I've seen better...

... in Madden.

Hawaii 5-0
03-27-2013, 01:09 PM
I've seen better...

you got to watch some of my high school football games?

teegre
03-27-2013, 01:17 PM
you got to watch some of my high school football games?

Did you play for POLK High School... and once score FOUR touchdowns in one game???

Hawaii 5-0
03-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Did you play for POLK High School... and once score FOUR touchdowns in one game???

yup, and all the girls were in love with me...

http://cdn.wl.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/PolkHigh.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
03-28-2013, 02:54 PM
2013 NFL Mock Draft: National Football Post puts Dion Jordan in Pittsburgh

By Neal Coolong on Mar 28 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/10545703/151622700.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Well-respected draft analyst Russ Lande initially had DT Star Lotulelei to the Steelers, now it's uber-athletic OLB Dion Jordan.

National Football Post contributor Russ Lande was sending Steeler Nation an early holiday/Other Day of Celebration present when he projected Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei would fall to No. 17 in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Since Lotulelei's alleged heart condition was written off as little more than just the after effects of a cold, he's again nowhere near the Steelers' range.

Now, Lande is teasing us with outside linebacker Dion Jordan possibly falling to 17.

This is just getting mean, Mr. Lande.

Any and all attempts to predict the first round of the draft is more or less akin to fortune-telling, complete with disclaimer that it's done for entertainment purposes only. But that's a two-way street. We like to dismiss one opinion or another based on really nothing more than the collaborative effort of others who feel they know more than everyone else.

In the end, what we're left with is a collection of opinions, only a slight few just a little more credible than the masses.

We choose to try to point Mock Drafts out merely as the prospective of another writer. It's interesting that Lande (by all accounts, a very knowledgeable subject matter expert and a talented writer) has Florida State defensive end Bjoern Werner being taken with the second overall pick - a stance that's largely cooled over the last month or so. He also predicts a resurgence of Cal wide receiver Keenan Allen - a name I've typed so infrequently lately, I just erased "Lewis" after "Keenan."

If guys like that are taken, someone's bound to fall, which seems to be the basis of Lande's prediction of Jordan landing in Pittsburgh.

Although Jordan is rumored to be a sure top ten pick; there are always a few players who slip for no real reason. With James Harrison done in Pittsburgh and Lamarr Woodley coming off a disappointing 2012 season, the Steelers must upgrade their outside pass rush to give their defense the teeth to make big plays in 2013.

And ya know what? That actually makes a lot of sense. I hate to keep railing on this, but no one - NO ONE - predicted David DeCastro falling to 24 last year. Even the Steelers were sure of him being off the board by the time the Steelers were on the clock, they attempted to trade up with the Jets to No. 16 to get him.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/28/4156070/2013-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-dion-jordan

ebsteelers
03-28-2013, 03:05 PM
I've seen better...

... in Madden.

once in madden i had 100 sacks with jevon "the freak" kearse...

lol must of been madden 02 or 03

teegre
03-28-2013, 03:10 PM
once in madden i had 100 sacks with jevon "the freak" kearse...

lol must of been madden 02 or 03

Nice.

teegre
03-28-2013, 03:12 PM
2013 NFL Mock Draft: National Football Post puts Dion Jordan in Pittsburgh

By Neal Coolong on Mar 28 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/10545703/151622700.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Well-respected draft analyst Russ Lande initially had DT Star Lotulelei to the Steelers, now it's uber-athletic OLB Dion Jordan.

National Football Post contributor Russ Lande was sending Steeler Nation an early holiday/Other Day of Celebration present when he projected Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei would fall to No. 17 in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Since Lotulelei's alleged heart condition was written off as little more than just the after effects of a cold, he's again nowhere near the Steelers' range.

Now, Lande is teasing us with outside linebacker Dion Jordan possibly falling to 17.

This is just getting mean, Mr. Lande.

Any and all attempts to predict the first round of the draft is more or less akin to fortune-telling, complete with disclaimer that it's done for entertainment purposes only. But that's a two-way street. We like to dismiss one opinion or another based on really nothing more than the collaborative effort of others who feel they know more than everyone else.

In the end, what we're left with is a collection of opinions, only a slight few just a little more credible than the masses.

We choose to try to point Mock Drafts out merely as the prospective of another writer. It's interesting that Lande (by all accounts, a very knowledgeable subject matter expert and a talented writer) has Florida State defensive end Bjoern Werner being taken with the second overall pick - a stance that's largely cooled over the last month or so. He also predicts a resurgence of Cal wide receiver Keenan Allen - a name I've typed so infrequently lately, I just erased "Lewis" after "Keenan."

If guys like that are taken, someone's bound to fall, which seems to be the basis of Lande's prediction of Jordan landing in Pittsburgh.

Although Jordan is rumored to be a sure top ten pick; there are always a few players who slip for no real reason. With James Harrison done in Pittsburgh and Lamarr Woodley coming off a disappointing 2012 season, the Steelers must upgrade their outside pass rush to give their defense the teeth to make big plays in 2013.

And ya know what? That actually makes a lot of sense. I hate to keep railing on this, but no one - NO ONE - predicted David DeCastro falling to 24 last year. Even the Steelers were sure of him being off the board by the time the Steelers were on the clock, they attempted to trade up with the Jets to No. 16 to get him.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/28/4156070/2013-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-dion-jordan

Wow!!! I would NEEEEVER have predicted Jordan would fall out of the top five.

I'm still putting my wager on the fact that he goes before 17.

SteelersCanada
03-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Hey, no one saw DeCastro falling either. Two positions fall in the draft like clockwork: Guards and Pass Rushers. Let Jordan fall to us, football gods! We'll call it even after taking Roethlisberger away from us.

Steel_Bus_24
03-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Well Im getting less optimistic that anyone I like is going to fall...because some of those idiot run teams aren't going to hold to form an reach on QBs in the 1st

Hawaii 5-0
03-30-2013, 09:38 PM
The Star’s first-round NFL draft projections

March 30
BY ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

1. Chiefs

• OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan: Chiefs need to secure an important position.

2. Jacksonville

• DE Ezekiel Ansah, Brigham Young: The Jaguars get much-needed pass rush help.

3. Oakland

• DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida: Al Davis wouldn’t have approved of this pick.

4. Philadelphia

• OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M: Fisher would be the pick if Chiefs go with Joeckel.

5. Detroit

• CB Dee Milliner, Alabama: The Lions go for a fast corner to help their defense.

6. Cleveland

• LB Dion Jordan, Oregon: He needs time to develop but could become a star.

7. Arizona

• OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma: The Cardinals can’t continue to ignore their offensive line.

8. Buffalo

• QB Geno Smith, West Virginia: The draft’s best QB prospect.

9. N.Y. Jets

• LB Jarvis Jones, Georgia: A talented linebacker with pass-rush skills.

10. Tennessee

• DT Star Lotulelei, Utah: Medical concerns could cause him to drop.

11. San Diego

• CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State: The Chargers were hoping a tackle would fall.

12. Miami

• G Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina: Could become one of the all-time greats.

13. Tampa Bay

• LB Barkevious Mingo, LSU: Talented, but an underachiever in college.

14. Carolina

• WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee: A fast receiver for Cam Newton.

15. New Orleans

• DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri: Could anchor Saints’ line for years.

16. St. Louis

• WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia: Maybe the most explosive offensive player in draft.

17. Pittsburgh

• CB Desmond Trufant, Washington: Here’s help for an aging, depleted defense.

18. Dallas

• G Chance Warmack, Alabama: Talented, but he plays an undervalued position.

19. N.Y. Giants

• LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia: Giants collapsed defensively last year.

20. Chicago

• WR Keenan Allen, California: Another WR for Jay Cutler to throw to.

21. Cincinnati

• S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas: Bengals need help at back of their defense.

22. St. Louis

• LB Bjoern Werner, Florida State: Rams need to fortify defense in NFL’s best division.

23. Minnesota

• TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame: Here’s help for Adrian Peterson.

24. Indianapolis

• OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama: Third Alabama player to go in first round.

25. Minnesota

• WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson: Here’s more help for Peterson.

26. Green Bay

• TE Zach Ertz, Stanford: A second tight end for Aaron Rodgers.

27. Houston

• WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee: Texans need to prepare for Andre Johnson’s decline.

28. Denver

• DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina: Broncos can use a young body on defensive line.

29. New England

• CB Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State: Patriots’ weakness is pass defense.

30. Atlanta

• CB Logan Ryan, Rutgers: A corner to help cover for Dunta Robinson’s departure.

31. San Francisco

• DT Kawann Short, Purdue: 49ers lost two linemen in free agency.

32. Baltimore

• LB Manti Te’o, Notre Dame: The next Ray Lewis?

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/30/4153042/the-stars-first-round-nfl-draft.html#storylink=cpy

bornaSteelersfan
03-30-2013, 09:46 PM
With guys like Warmack and Vaccaro still left in his mock, there is NO WAY we reach for Trufant. Steelers always take BPA.

PhantomJB93
03-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Desmond Trufant is probably the most disappointing mock pick I've seen this offseason

Rabbit
03-30-2013, 11:36 PM
I'm actually a big fan of Des Trufant, but not at 17 for us. We've got Ike still playing at an effective level, Cortez is entering his first year as a starter, and it's a make or break campaign for Curtis Brown. I don't think corner is that pressing of a need to select that early.

Hawaii 5-0
04-01-2013, 12:49 AM
Every Team’s Top Target in the 2013 NFL Draft

by Gil Alcaraz IV

17. Pittsburgh Steelers – Barkevious Mingo

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/wp-content/slideshow/2013/01/2013-nfl-draft-every-team-s-top-target/medium/Barkevious-Mingo1.jpg

The Steelers are in need of some youth on their defense as James Harrison appears to be on his way out of the Steel City. While they have some talent along the front seven, they’re in need of some extra athleticism and Mingo brings a boatload of that to the table. If there’s one team that can find a way to get the most out of Mingo’s talents, it’s Pittsburgh.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/01/26/every-teams-top-target-in-the-2013-nfl-draft/?OxeI4rtfWJgj81rR.99

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2013, 09:39 AM
I've been on record as saying take Trufant if Vacarro, Mingo, Jordan are gone. CB is a need, but I dont think you pass on Vacarro to take Trufant. Unless the thought is that the hard hitting William Gay will convert to safety. :rofl:

Hawaii 5-0
04-01-2013, 12:48 PM
I've been on record as saying take Trufant if Vacarro, Mingo, Jordan are gone. CB is a need, but I dont think you pass on Vacarro to take Trufant. Unless the thought is that the hard hitting William Gay will convert to safety. :rofl:

how about the thought that Ike Taylor could convert to free safety to take Ryan Clark's spot after next season?

teegre
04-01-2013, 12:57 PM
how about the thought that Ike Taylor could convert to free safety to take Ryan Clark's spot after next season?

People keep saying that, and it's not a bad idea... but, Taylor is only a year younger than Clark.

STEELMANIAK
04-01-2013, 01:02 PM

That would be a stretch considering we really don't have a #2 defensive back let alone take our #1 and convert him to FS.

It's been a long time coming but I'd like us to take a DB in the 1st. I think Xavier Rhodes across from Taylor and Cortez Allen our nickel would be pretty solid secondary.

Hawaii 5-0
04-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Mocking the Draft

By Tim Mullhaupt (HSS) on Apr 1 2013

When in doubt, go with The Judge. Kansas State linebacker Arthur Brown is a possibility for the Steelers with the 17th overall pick in the upcoming NFL Draft.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/10764207/20120908_kdl_as4_215.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Round 1:

1. Kansas City Chiefs - Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
2. Jacksonville Jaguars - Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
3. Oakland Raiders - Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
4. Philadelphia Eagles - Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
5. Detroit Lions - Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
6. Cleveland Browns - Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
7. Arizona Cardinals - Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
8. Buffalo Bills - Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
9. New York Jets - Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
10. Tennessee Titans - Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina
11. San Diego Chargers - Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
12. Miami Dolphins - Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
14. Carolina Panthers - Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
15. New Orleans Saints - Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
16. St. Louis Rams - Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

Steelers round 1 Pick 17: Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State

When it boils down to it, I just have a feeling in my bones that this will be our pick in April. The Steelers have already met with Brown and were probably just as impressed, if not more so than other teams when he dazzled at his pro day in his position drills. The Steelers were all set to draft Dont'a Hightower a year ago before David DeCastro fell in their lap. Now, with Sean Spence having issues from recovering from that devastating knee injury he suffered in the preseason a year ago, it seems the Steelers are still in need of a linebacker to pair inside with Lawrence Timmons.

Since the story broke about Manti Te'o imaginary girlfriend broke, and maybe even before then Brown has distinguished himself as the best 3-4 ILB candidate in this draft. He's said to posses top-end speed for a linebacker and hang with tight ends and slot receivers in coverage.Brown, while being a quiet and mild-mannered player off the field, is a tenacious defender on it. Nicknamed "The Judge" by teammates, Brown uses his closing speed to take down offensive players like a cheetah takes down a gazelle (is any of this sounding familiar? I can think of a similar player already in Black and Gold). To give you an indication of just how fast he is, consider that Kansas State was comfortable letting him shadow Robert Griffin III last year, when Griffin was a senior at Baylor. He's not all speed and finesse however, as scouting reports around the web have documented well, Brown plays with great leverage that allows him to take on much larger lineman and stand them up to break up the play. Some are concerned that this will lead to extensive shoulder injuries (he's already had one in college), while others believer the heavy duty linemen will be able to move him regardless of how low he comes into a block.

When all is said and done, I think Brown could be one of those rare players that comes in and starts in their rookie year for the Steelers defense. It's blasphemy to suggest this, but with Larry Foote getting older and slower, it's hard to think Mike Tomlin would keep sending Foote to cover running backs like Ray Rice while he has a weapon like Brown at his disposal. Plug him in with Timmons and let those two wreak havoc.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/1/4169518/2013-nfl-draft-mock-steelers-three-round

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2013, 01:32 PM

Ike could move to FS and prolong his career, but he is making something like $6 Million and $7million over the next 2 years here. Not really FS salary and would likely restructure.

2014 secondary of Taylor and Swearinger at Safety, with Trufant and Allen at CB. Highly unlikely, but not unreasonable.

As for the Arthur Brown ILB mocks...he transferred from Miami to play at K State. He is similar size as Spence. I wish Spence was not injured and there would be no talk of spending a 1st round pick on what we already had drafted in the 3rd round.

Steel_Bus_24
04-01-2013, 01:34 PM
That Arthur Brown pick could be spot on.....because it doesn't look like the usual dummies want to reach on QBs this year

SteelersCanada
04-01-2013, 01:36 PM
I doubt we pass on Barkevious if he's there. But, I would like the Brown pick; kid would let Timmons play his game.

Hawaii 5-0
04-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Wake-up: Food for thought with Steelers

APR 2
by Jamison Hensley

Some Browns fans are upset that Colt McCoy was traded to the 49ers without getting a fair shot to start. Some Steelers fans are upset with me for saying you could make a case for giving Pittsburgh an 'F' for free agency this year. I obviously underestimated the impact of William Gay and Matt Spaeth. Believe me, I won't make that mistake again. But today is a new day. And, with every new day, you get a new wake-up call ...

STEELERS: It was about two weeks ago when team officials had dinner with Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray before his pro day. Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette put a different spin on the reported meeting. "Did anyone think that maybe the braintrust wanted to subtly pick Bray’s brain about one of his receivers, Cordarrelle Patterson?," Bouchette wrote. Patterson is the second-best wide receiver in the draft, ranking only behind West Virginia's Tavon Austin. He is big (6-foot-3) and can stretch the field. The Steelers could take a wide receiver with the 17th overall pick because Mike Wallace is gone and Emmanuel Sanders is a free agent next season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/68108/wake-up-food-for-thought-with-steelers

Bane
04-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Wake-up: Food for thought with Steelers

APR 2
by Jamison Hensley

Some Browns fans are upset that Colt McCoy was traded to the 49ers without getting a fair shot to start. Some Steelers fans are upset with me for saying you could make a case for giving Pittsburgh an 'F' for free agency this year. I obviously underestimated the impact of William Gay and Matt Spaeth. Believe me, I won't make that mistake again. But today is a new day. And, with every new day, you get a new wake-up call ...

STEELERS: It was about two weeks ago when team officials had dinner with Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray before his pro day. Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette put a different spin on the reported meeting. "Did anyone think that maybe the braintrust wanted to subtly pick Bray’s brain about one of his receivers, Cordarrelle Patterson?," Bouchette wrote. Patterson is the second-best wide receiver in the draft, ranking only behind West Virginia's Tavon Austin. He is big (6-foot-3) and can stretch the field. The Steelers could take a wide receiver with the 17th overall pick because Mike Wallace is gone and Emmanuel Sanders is a free agent next season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/68108/wake-up-food-for-thought-with-steelers

Never even thought of it that way. As I've said before, I've liked Cordarrelle immensely more since I saw Steve Mariucci's show with him. I'd be 150% happy with him being drafted.

ebsteelers
04-03-2013, 02:29 PM
the more i read and the more i look at this mocks
im starting to think patterson wont be their at 17.

it seems like austin and patterson will both be taking before 16.

i'd be very happy with vaccaro though in round 1.

grab a wide out in round 2

for a second lets say we sign bradshaw, and caldwell...

i can dream

Round 1: Kenny Vaccaro Safety
Round 2: Robert Woods Wideout
Round 3: David Amerson Cornerback
Round 4: John Simon OLB
Round 5: Dion Sims TE
Round 6: BPA
Round 7: BPA

another option
trade down in round 1 with the vikings i am not always sure how those work but i'd think we would
we give them pick 17 950 points they give us pick 23 and pick 83 about 935 points.

they do this if one of the wide outs patterson or austin is still on the board.

round 1 pick 23 Arthur Brown OLB
round 2 pick 48 Zach Ertz TE
round 3 pick 79 David Amerson CB
round 3 pick 83 DaRick Rogers WR
round 4 pick 119 TJ McDonald Safety
round 5 pick 150 Zac Stacy RB
Round 6 bpa
Round 7 bpa

obviously the risk with trading down in round 1 is that the guy you want is gone,
but even if this were the case, a backup plan of eifert from nd and woods from usc could be an option and taking bell instead of rogers

any opinions on either draft of mine?
good? crap, junk?

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-03-2013, 02:58 PM
I like the draft mostly the first one, I dont see us trading back i would like us to but dont see it happening unless someone falls and some team is willing to give up picks, I like Patterson a lot & I believe he will be there unless some team like the Rams, Buffalo or Carolina drafts him.

Drafting Amerson in the 3rd would be good pick he fits a need at corner & if he doesn't work out at corner we could move him to FS he's has great ball skills and could be a turnover machine and he has good size also.

ebsteelers
04-03-2013, 03:05 PM
I like the draft mostly the first one, I dont see us trading back i would like us to but dont see it happening unless someone falls and some team is willing to give up picks, I like Patterson a lot & I believe he will be there unless some team like the Rams, Buffalo or Carolina drafts him.

Drafting Amerson in the 3rd would be good pick he fits a need at corner & if he doesn't work out at corner we could move him to FS he's has great ball skills and could be a turnover machine and he has good size also.

im torn i always like the idea of adding more picks in the middle rounds as we could get some gems in there and especially as the team ages getting more depth would defintely be more beneficial in my eyes but its always hard because we dont know picks 1 to 16 yet.

teegre
04-03-2013, 03:27 PM
the more i read and the more i look at this mocks
im starting to think patterson wont be their at 17.

it seems like austin and patterson will both be taking before 16.

i'd be very happy with vaccaro though in round 1.

grab a wide out in round 2

for a second lets say we sign bradshaw, and caldwell...

i can dream

Round 1: Kenny Vaccaro Safety
Round 2: Robert Woods Wideout
Round 3: David Amerson Cornerback
Round 4: John Simon OLB
Round 5: Dion Sims TE
Round 6: BPA
Round 7: BPA

another option
trade down in round 1 with the vikings i am not always sure how those work but i'd think we would
we give them pick 17 950 points they give us pick 23 and pick 83 about 935 points.

they do this if one of the wide outs patterson or austin is still on the board.

round 1 pick 23 Arthur Brown OLB
round 2 pick 48 Zach Ertz TE
round 3 pick 79 David Amerson CB
round 3 pick 83 DaRick Rogers WR
round 4 pick 119 TJ McDonald Safety
round 5 pick 150 Zac Stacy RB
Round 6 bpa
Round 7 bpa

obviously the risk with trading down in round 1 is that the guy you want is gone,
but even if this were the case, a backup plan of eifert from nd and woods from usc could be an option and taking bell instead of rogers

any opinions on either draft of mine?
good? crap, junk?

Isn't "crapjunk" the name of a Vietnamese dish?

Really though, not bad.

Trading back would be awesome... but, it is so rare. (And, obviosuly, I'd trade back and take Elam with the R1 pick.)

In R3, if it's going to be a CB, I'd prefer Leon McFadden, The kid is flat-out good. If he had played in a larger conference, he'd he a R1 pick.

MELDED MOCK
(Again, this sounds like a Vietnamese dish made with duck & peanuts.) I am going to meld your two mocks together, here is what I'd prefer (if I was to use solely those players listed... without a trade down):

R1 - Vaccaro
R2 - Ertz
R3 - Amerson
R4 - McDonald
R5 - Simon

SteelersCanada
04-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Draft Prospects Who Would Fit Perfectly with Pittsburgh Steelers

By
Mike Batista

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

Year: Senior

Height: 6'6"

Weight: 303 pounds

Lane Johnson probably will be long gone by the time the Steelers pick at No. 17. The Steelers have more pressing needs at other positions and they've used four early-round picks on offensive linemen in the last three years.

Despite all that, if Johnson's still on the board when the Steelers pick, they should grab him.

New Steelers offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. prefers athletic offensive linemen over heavy ones. He told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he doesn't like linemen who "get huge and then they can't bend and move."

Johnson has a lot of height to distribute his weight. Marcus Gilbert, the Steelers' front-runner to start at left tackle in 2013, is the same height as Johnson but 27 pounds heavier. Max Starks, their left tackle in 2012, is 6'8", 345 pounds.

NFL Draft Scout calls Johnson a "natural bender with flexible joints." He's athletic enough to have played quarterback in high school then move to tight end and defensive end at Oklahoma.

Johnson moved to right tackle in 2011 and left tackle in 2012. He would provide much-needed competition for Gilbert or Mike Adams, who is slated to start at right tackle.

Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

Year: Junior

Height: 6'6"

Weight: 250 pounds

The Steelers could look at tight ends in the draft. Heath Miller might not be ready to start the 2013 season after tearing two knee ligaments in the second-to-last game of the 2012 season.

NFL Draft Scout compares Tyler Eifert to Miller. The evidence supporting that shows why Eifert would be a good fit in Pittsburgh.

Like Miller, Eifert is a "soft-spoken guy," according to NFL Draft Scout.

Like Miller, Eifert led his team in receptions in 2012. He caught 50 passes for 685 yards and four touchdowns, following up a 2011 campaign in which he was the nation's top tight end with 63 catches for 803 yards and five touchdowns.

Like Miller, Eifert also is effective as a blocker, although it's not the strongest part of his game. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller gave Miller a 10 out of 20 grade for blocking in his B/R NFL 1,000 series.

Steelers tight ends David Paulson and Leonard Pope combined for 10 catches last year. The Steelers brought back Matt Spaeth to shore up their tight end unit in case Miller misses part of the 2013 season.

Eifert might be a reach at No. 17 and he'll probably be gone by the time the Steelers pick at No. 48 in the second round. So the only way Pittsburgh is likely to get him would be if the Steelers trade down in the first round or up in the second round.

NFL Draft Scout calls Eifert a "team-first guy who proudly wore the 'C' on his jersey."

The Steelers are always looking for that kind of leadership.

DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 214 pounds

DeAndre Hopkins is reminiscent of Hines Ward in that he's not the biggest or fastest receiver, although he's bigger than Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders and heavier than Jerricho Cotchery.

Despite his physical limitations, Hopkins led the ACC in 2012 with 1,405 receiving yards. He caught 82 passes and scored a school-record 18 touchdowns, which was second in the country.

Like Ward, Hopkins is "fearless over the middle," according to NFL Draft Scout. Hopkins shows "nastiness" as a run blocker, according to NFL.com, although he'll have to improve to match Ward in that department.

Hopkins shows the intangibles the Steelers look for with his maturity and hard work in the weight room. He could develop into a leader.

The Steelers figure to use an early-round draft pick on a wide receiver after losing Mike Wallace in free agency. Hopkins is projected to go late in the first round or early in the second round. So the Steelers might have to make a deal to be in a position to get him.

Matt Elam, SS, Florida

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 208 pounds

The Steelers might be okay at safety in 2013, but Troy Polamalu turns 32 this month and Ryan Clark turns 34 in October. It's time to start looking for future safeties in the draft.

Pittsburgh shouldn't expect to find another Polamalu. He's a once-in-a-generation talent.

However, Matt Elam seems to be the most Polamalu-like of the safeties in the 2013 draft class.

Not only is Elam the same height as Polamalu and just one pound heavier, but Polamalu's name comes up in NFL Draft Scout's assessment of Elam because of his knack for making big plays.

Like Polamalu, Elam might whiff once in a while when going for a splash play.

In 2011, Elam led Florida with 11 tackles for loss, seven pass breakups and two forced fumbles. He followed that up last season by again making 11 tackles for loss to go with two sacks, a forced fumble and four interceptions.

Elam is a proven special teams contributor, which would make him a nice fit on any team, not just the Steelers.

The Steelers 2012 draft class was a disappointment off the field, so they need to pay special attention to character in this draft.

Elam has had two "run-ins" with police for alcohol possession, according to NFL Draft Scout. There are worse things football players have done.

Elam showed enough character to be voted a team captain in 2012. He might have to fall in the second round for the Steelers to have a shot at him.

Eric Reid, FS, LSU

Weight: 213 pounds

While Matt Elam might have some of the same characteristics as Troy Polamalu, Eric Reid echoes the Steelers' other safety.

Like Ryan Clark, Reid is a hard-hitting free safety from LSU who is prone to penalties.

In 2012, Reid made 91 tackles, broke up seven passes, intercepted two and recovered a fumble.

Reid made what ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit, via NFL Draft Scout, called the top defensive play of the 2011 regular season with an interception at the Tigers' 1-yard line in the fourth quarter of a 6-6 tie against Alabama. LSU went on to win that gave in overtime.

Reid might be available to the Steelers in the second round. He could be the heir apparent to Clark as the bad cop of the Steelers secondary.

Robert Woods, WR, USC

Weight: 201 pounds

Robert Woods is another receiver in the Hines Ward mold because he's not the biggest or the fastest, but he's productive and can block.

Woods had 252 career receptions at USC, including 76 in 2012 for 846 yards and 11 touchdowns.

As much as the Steelers offense will miss Mike Wallace's speed, if they draft Woods it would at least be refreshing to have someone who NFL Draft Scout calls "an unselfish player who gives good effort as a blocker."

Neither of those qualities could be used to describe Wallace.

The Steelers could use as many team players as possible to bounce back from their 8-8 season and get back to the playoffs.

Woods has a history of ankle injuries, so his health will need to be monitored. But if he's still on the board in the second round, he'd be worth a serious look for the Steelers.

Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin

Year: Senior

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 214 pounds

Rashard Mendenhall's career in Pittsburgh came to an ignominious end five years after he was chosen in the first round. Sixth-round pick Jonathan Dwyer and undrafted Isaac Redman don't seem to be the answer at running back.

Perhaps instead of using their top pick or trying to unearth a hidden gem in the late rounds, the Steelers should find a happy medium and address their need at running back by taking Montee Ball in the third round.

Ball tied Barry Sanders' NCAA record with 39 touchdowns in 2011. He ran for 1,923 yards that year with an average of 6.3 yards per carry. With the departure of Badgers quarterback Russell Wilson in 2012, Ball still ran for 1,830 yards at a 5.1 yards-per-carry clip with 22 touchdowns.

He might not be flashy, but NFL.com calls Ball a "reliable, hard-working zone back." Pittsburgh's blue-collar fan base could identify with him.

The Steelers need all the help they can get keeping Ben Roethlisberger upright. Ball would be able to do his part because he's not afraid to take on blitzers. He also can give Roethlisberger another option for getting rid of the ball with his ability to catch passes over the middle.

Mendenhall was like the shiny sports car who didn't give the Steelers as many years as they had hoped. Ball would be a more modest set of wheels that gets them where they want to go.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1586213-draft-prospects-who-would-fit-perfectly-with-pittsburgh-steelers

-- I'd like Johnson, but I don't think Tackle is a legitimate need anymore with Gilbert and Adams with depth in Beachum. I also think that a TE in the first would be a reach as none of these guys are Gronkowski or Hernandez to me. I like Woods and Elam, though.

ebsteelers
04-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Isn't "crapjunk" the name of a Vietnamese dish?

Really though, not bad.

Trading back would be awesome... but, it is so rare. (And, obviosuly, I'd trade back and take Elam with the R1 pick.)

In R3, if it's going to be a CB, I'd prefer Leon McFadden, The kid is flat-out good. If he had played in a larger conference, he'd he a R1 pick.

MELDED MOCK
(Again, this sounds like a Vietnamese dish made with duck & peanuts.) I am going to meld your two mocks together, here is what I'd prefer (if I was to use solely those players listed... without a trade down):

R1 - Vaccaro
R2 - Ertz
R3 - Amerson
R4 - McDonald
R5 - Simon

teegre change of plans

Round 1: Tommy Maddox
Round 2: Limas Sweed
Round 3: The Chin
Round 4: Mark Malone
Round 5: A new coach
Round 6: Fire Mike Tomlin
Round 7: Did i mention fire mike?
Round 8: Bring back the chin damn it
Round 9: Troy Edwards
Round 10: We should of drafted Phil Robertson instead of that Teddy Bradshaw

this is a mock of champions! 16-0

Blacksburg Zach
04-04-2013, 01:20 PM
teegre change of plans

Pretty good, but you forgot to add Huey Richardson, Alonzo Jackson, Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, and all other "Cowher's players." Also, who is this Teddy Bradshaw you are referring to? :chuckle:

ebsteelers
04-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Pretty good, but you forgot to add Huey Richardson, Alonzo Jackson, Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, and all other "Cowher's players." Also, who is this Teddy Bradshaw you are referring to? :chuckle:

lol i ran out of rounds..aka had a meeting to go to..

if the steelers want to win a title with in the next 50 years hire me as the gm, and i'll put us on the right path.

by the way round 11 was gonna be Tee Martin over marsha brady

teegre
04-04-2013, 03:45 PM
teegre change of plans

That is PERECT!!!

One small edit: 19-0. :wink02:

kan_t
04-04-2013, 09:34 PM
-- I'd like Johnson, but I don't think Tackle is a legitimate need anymore with Gilbert and Adams with depth in Beachum. I also think that a TE in the first would be a reach as none of these guys are Gronkowski or Hernandez to me. I like Woods and Elam, though.
I don't think we need to worry about picking Johnson or not. He will be long gone before the Steelers pick.

Hawaii 5-0
04-06-2013, 10:59 PM
2013 NFL Draft: Tennessee receiver Cordarrelle Patterson could be NFL’s next ‘freak’

By Marla Ridenour
Beacon Journal sports columnist
Published: April 6, 2013

http://www.ohio.com/polopoly_fs/1.387576.1365294559!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_270/draft07web.jpg

As recruiting coordinator at the University of Tennessee last season, Darin Hinshaw laughed at what Hutchinson Community College used as its hook for Cordarrelle Patterson.

But Hinshaw couldn’t ignore the December 2011 barrage from three Blue Dragons coaches as they tried to get a college to make Patterson an offer.

“They said, ‘This guy is a freak of nature,’ ” said Hinshaw, now the passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Cincinnati.

Hinshaw went to Hutchinson, Kan., on his way to Garden City Community College. The discovery he made redefined the way he looks at recruits who take that route.

“I said, ‘I’m going to stop by and see this freak,’ kind of laughing at him,” Hinshaw said. “I saw him and went, ‘You are right. There’s no doubt this kid is special.’

“You get those phone calls all the time and I always try to see, ‘Is this the next Cordarrelle Patterson?’ ”

The Browns are expected to use the sixth overall pick in the April 25-27 draft on a defensive player. But should they trade down to replace the second-round selection they used on Josh Gordon in the 2012 supplemental draft, explosive receiver and kick returner Patterson could be a target.

In that case, they could also be tempted by teammate Justin Hunter, a lithe leaper nicknamed “Gumby” at UT.

In rounds three or four, the Browns could also take a chance on another ex-Vols receiver, Da’Rick Rogers. He was indefinitely suspended by Tennessee last August after multiple violations of the school’s substance abuse policy and ended up playing at Tennessee Tech.

All three have negatives to overcome. Although he set a school record with 1,858 all-purpose yards last season and averaged 16.9 yards per catch, Patterson is considered a one-year wonder. He will also need personal tutoring because of his limited experience in a pro-style scheme, Hinshaw said. Hunter dropped several passes, some excused by Hinshaw because he got to footballs others wouldn’t. Rogers’ off-the-field issues will be scrutinized, especially since he has the toughness and strength to play inside or outside.

Hinshaw touted the potential of all three in a telephone interview last week. But Patterson was the one he raved about most.

“He’s the best I’ve ever seen with the ball in his hands. He can make people miss, explode and get vertical,” Hinshaw said of the 6-foot-2, 216-pound Patterson. “He made numerous people in the SEC look stupid who will be playing in the NFL, and I believe he’ll do the same thing at the next level.

“He’s not a one-year wonder. He’s a 15-year wonder in the NFL.”

Versatility in scoring

Patterson arrived at Tennessee in July and went on to become the first NCAA player to score a touchdown four different ways since 2008. That had happened before in Knoxville, but it took future Cincinnati Bengals receiver Carl Pickens three years to do it. Patterson (his first name is pronounced CORE-dare-uhl) joined Bobby Gordon in 1957 as the only Vols to score on a kickoff and a punt return in a single season.

Patterson’s 10 touchdowns came on five receptions, three rushes, one kickoff (a 98-yarder) and one punt (an 81-yarder).

His season low in all-purpose yards was 58 against the University of Akron. Facing eventual national champion Alabama, Patterson managed 130, 111 on kickoff returns, with just one catch for 25 yards.

Hinshaw said that wasn’t all because of the coverage of Crimson Tide cornerback Dee Milliner, another candidate for the Browns’ sixth pick.

“It wasn’t necessarily the matchup,” Hinshaw said. “There’s not many guys who can guard him one-on-one.

“When our run game’s not going well, they can put a safety and a corner on him. They’re pretty salty inside being able to stop the run with an even amount of people in the box. Can do different things in the secondary to force you to throw away from them. That’s Alabama, that’s why not many teams have beaten them.”

Two best cornerbacks

At the NFL Scouting Combine, Patterson said Milliner and Mississippi State’s Johnthan Banks, projected as a top 50 pick by Pro Football Weekly, were the two best cornerbacks he faced.

Patterson didn’t think he’d be a starter when he arrived in Knoxville, but took advantage of his opportunity when Rogers was suspended.

“Some things happened at Tennessee and people started expecting big things from me, so I had to fill that role,” Patterson said.

Asked in February what he needed to work on, Patterson said “route running and learning coverages.”

Those will be Patterson’s challenges, Hinshaw said. A former quarterback at Central Florida, Hinshaw was a rookie minicamp invitee of the Browns in 1995, but was not signed by player personnel director Mike Lombardi, now the Browns general manager.

“I’ve talked to a large amount of NFL teams. I told them, ‘He’s a guy you’re going to have to teach and be patient with. Not because he’s stupid by any means, the guy’s as smart as can be,’ ” Hinshaw said. “His issue is every single play, ‘What’s the scheme? What’s my responsibility? Am I hot? Am I not hot? Oh, yeah, now I’ve got to beat this guy in my route. Or if it goes to Cover 2 I’ve got to run a little different route. Cover 3, I’ve got to run a different route.’ Those are things that he will get [much] better at when he’s doing it all the time, when he doesn’t have to worry about school.”

At the combine, NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock called Patterson “a height/weight/speed freak.” Before he went to Indianapolis, Mayock said Patterson “might be one of the most talented physical specimens in this class. He’s taking your breath away from the ability to make plays, especially after he gets the ball in his hands.”

But in reference to junior college receivers with only one year at a major program, Mayock said, “There’s a bunch of those guys that have failed over the past 20 years.”

Hinshaw said Patterson is motivated and warns those who pass on drafting him.

“He will impact the game next year,” Hinshaw said. “After games, people from Georgia, Florida, Alabama and South Carolina would come up to me and go, ‘That’s the best player I’ve ever seen.’ Numerous people said, ‘Man, the guy’s unbelievable.’ He scared defenses to death and he’ll do the same thing in the NFL.”

http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories/2013-nfl-draft-tennessee-receiver-cordarrelle-patterson-could-be-nfl-s-next-freak-1.387551

SteelersCanada
04-06-2013, 11:03 PM
I don't understand the Patterson hype. He can't run a route to save his life.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-07-2013, 12:12 AM

And has questionable hands.

With him its all about the upside and pontential

Rabbit
04-07-2013, 01:52 AM
And has questionable hands.

Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson dropped just 4.2 percent of his intended targets in 2012. The drop rate compares favorably to Keenan Allen (4.7 percent), Terrance Williams (5.8 percent), and especially Vols teammate Justin Hunter (12.1 percent)

(via Rotoworld)

Also, obviously his route running is a work in progress. Dude played one year of FBS football, and still managed to make a huge impact. I mean, Mike Wallace was a really subpar route runner and he was a solid receiver for us, I don't see why Patterson can't be.

Hawaii 5-0
04-07-2013, 01:54 AM

sounds like he would be a perfect replacement for Mike Wallace then...

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-07-2013, 06:55 AM
Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson dropped just 4.2 percent of his intended targets in 2012. The drop rate compares favorably to Keenan Allen (4.7 percent), Terrance Williams (5.8 percent), and especially Vols teammate Justin Hunter (12.1 percent)

(via Rotoworld)

Also, obviously his route running is a work in progress. Dude played one year of FBS football, and still managed to make a huge impact. I mean, Mike Wallace was a really subpar route runner and he was a solid receiver for us, I don't see why Patterson can't be.

Patterson is a body catcher not a hands catcher. Those drops were very catchable balls. So yes his hands are questionable because he uses his body to often to catch the ball.

pete74
04-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Personally I'm worried about every WR in the first round this year. Patterson looks to be the best but so did Charles Rodgers at one time. He really needs to work on his routs and he may never do it, who knows. As for Austin, he's fast and had an awesome college career but same with Peter Warrick. Every WR in this draft has potential bust written on them. I don't think the Steelers will grab one in the first because of that risk. We definitely needa Wr and we will grab one but not in round one. There are WRs that are just as good in found 2 and 3

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 12:18 PM
I would like to see Robert Woods in the 2nd or Steadman Bailey later in the draft, hopefully we will see either OLB (a solid pass rusher) or RB (possibly Lacey), any thoughts?

SteelersCanada
04-07-2013, 12:29 PM

That one year of ball at high competition is what worries me the most. He'll go from one year in FBS ball right to the NFL. Do you think he'll be able to get separation from guys like Graham on the Ravens? That's what concerns me more than his ability to catch (which he loves to do with his body instead of his hands, but that's a whole other discussion) - he's raw. He's a lot more raw than what people are saying he is. His route running ability is questionable and while his ability to make plays after the catch is exciting, he won't be able to find that success, at least initially, at the NFL level.

There are more polished prospects that have a higher upside but are regarded as questionable for various reasons. Guys like Robert Woods from USC or Da'Rick Rogers both have shown they can catch with their hands consistently and run crisp routes. While Rogers seems to have had maturity issues early on in his career, it looks like he's passed those. I'd prefer us to go Mingo / Brown in the first and follow it up with someone like Rogers or Woods in the second.

I would like to see Robert Woods in the 2nd or Steadman Bailey later in the draft, hopefully we will see either OLB (a solid pass rusher) or RB (possibly Lacey), any thoughts?

I like Woods. A lot. I think if he can get past that nagging ankle injury he could become something special. I agree that OLB and RB are big needs, too. I'd love for us to grab someone like Mingo in the first, Woods or Da'Rick Rogers in the second and Le'Veon Bell in the third. Just one way we could go.

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Lets hope that the Steelers get help on both sides of the ball, if history has taught anything the legitimacy of a rookie defensive player starting is slim to none. However, Haley has shown his willingness to give offensive rookies the chance to make a difference. The Steelers need their #1 pick to come in and make a difference immediately, not later rather than sooner, IMO this is what has pushed Cameron Heyward backwards, as well as Ziggy Hood. Letting these guys "learn and observe" has not paid dividends, the time is now, hopefully someone by the name of Spence can return to give a boost but here is to hoping. I would really like to see the Steelers draft for needs (OLB, RB, WR, DB) not take the "best player available" approach.

pete74
04-07-2013, 04:28 PM

Agreed. I like Woods, Bailey and Hopkins

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-07-2013, 04:55 PM
what about Tavon Austin in the 1st then Da'Rick Rogers in the 3rd??

#1-Da'Rick Rogers
#2-Antonio Brown
#3-Tavon Austin

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 04:58 PM
what about Tavon Austin in the 1st then Da'Rick Rogers in the 3rd??

#1-Da'Rick Rogers
#2-Antonio Brown
#3-Tavon Austin

No way Austin is available at #17, also would he fit with A.B. and would the Steelers go after another slot receiver?

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-07-2013, 05:22 PM
No way Austin is available at #17, also would he fit with A.B. and would the Steelers go after another slot receiver?

Agreed the wide outs that I think would fit the best would be Hopkins an woods.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-07-2013, 05:37 PM

Tavon would be a slot receiver while Brown would be the #2 and Da'Rick Rogers would be the #1 it would work great and would make the offense become a scoring machine and if its not then Ben gotta go lol

btw Tavon can play RB and do kick returns also

SteelersCanada
04-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Tavon would be a slot receiver while Brown would be the #2 and Da'Rick Rogers would be the #1 it would work great and would make the offense become a scoring machine and if its not then Ben gotta go lol

Where does Manny Sanders fit into that equation? Two receivers in the first three rounds when we have gaping holes at OLB, RB, Safety and ILB can't work.

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 07:22 PM

I just can't see the Austin being available, from what I have read he is projected to possibly be a top ten pick!

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Where does Manny Sanders fit into that equation? Two receivers in the first three rounds when we have gaping holes at OLB, RB, Safety and ILB can't work.

I don't think Manny will be around this offense to worry about it, really would hate to see him go but I think he is already as good as gone.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-07-2013, 07:25 PM

Kinda hoping that someone picks sanders up tbh so we get and extra 3rd and a safety can be picked up in round 2 then olb round 4 then rb in Rd 5...

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Kinda hoping that someone picks sanders up tbh so we get and extra 3rd and a safety can be picked up in round 2 then olb round 4 then rb in Rd 5...

I actually would like to see Sanders come back, I would also like to see Sanders stay healthy for a full season. Sanders knows this offense and I believe he could be a true asset to Ben if he is willing to sign the tender and can stay healthy.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-07-2013, 07:30 PM
I actually would like to see Sanders come back, I would also like to see Sanders stay healthy for a full season. Sanders knows this offense and I believe he could be a true asset to Ben if he is willing to sign the tender and can stay healthy.

Then if he leaves next year...

This draft is very deep at receiver so an extra 3rd would help

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Then if he leaves next year...

This draft is very deep at receiver so an extra 3rd would help

If there isn't a deal worked out for the long term, oh and I cannot see the Steelers using two high draft pick on WR, just no way.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-07-2013, 07:43 PM
If there isn't a deal worked out for the long term, oh and I cannot see the Steelers using two high draft pick on WR, just no way.

It was just a thought tbh I know its not going to happen but if it did happen I would be very happy this offense would be very fun to watch

And fyi I have us taking Cordarrelle Patterson at #17 :thumbsup:

Goldsteel86
04-07-2013, 07:56 PM
It was just a thought tbh I know its not going to happen but if it did happen I would be very happy this offense would be very fun to watch

And fyi I have us taking Cordarrelle Patterson at #17 :thumbsup:

Patterson would be nice, however I would like to see OLB or DB iwith the #17 and Robert Woods with the second round pick. :drink:

Bane
04-07-2013, 11:02 PM
PFT has a new mock draft up:

1. Chiefs: OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M.

2. Jaguars: DE Dion Jordan, Oregon.

3. Raiders: DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida.

4. Eagles: DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri.

5. Lions: DE Barkevious Mingo, LSU.

6. Browns: CB Dee Milliner, Alabama.

7. Cardinals: DE Ziggy Ansah, BYU.

8. Bills: OG Chance Warmack, Alabama.

9. Jets: WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee.

10. Titans: CB Desmond Trufant, Washington.

11. Chargers: WR Keenan Allen, California.

12. Dolphins: OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan.

13. Buccaneers: WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia.

14. Panthers: DT Star Lotulelei, Utah.

15. Saints: OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina.

16. Rams: S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas.

17. Steelers: LB/DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M.

18. Cowboys: CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State.

19. Giants: TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame.

20. Bears: DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina.

21. Bengals: OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama.

22. Rams (from Redskins): RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama.

23. Vikings: QB Geno Smith, West Virginia.

24. Colts: LB/DE Datone Jones, UCLA.

25. Vikings (from Seahawks): CB Tharold Simon, LSU.

26. Packers: NT John Jenkins, Georgia.

27. Texans: OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma.

28. Broncos: LB Kevin Minter, LSU.

29. Patriots: WR Deandre Hopkins, Clemson.

30. Falcons: DE Cornellius Carradine, Florida State.

31. 49ers: LB Jarvis Jones, Georgia.

32. Ravens: S Matt Elam, Florida.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/07/2013-pft-mock-draft-version-2/

I bet teegre is fuming. :chuckle: First time I've seen Damontre Moore mocked to us, though. Points for originality?

Rabbit
04-07-2013, 11:04 PM
That mock draft is a goddamn abortion.

SteelersCanada
04-07-2013, 11:09 PM

Yep. When Florio isn't just relaying information from other sources, he's pretty much a crackpot.

Bane
04-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Not to mention he needs help writing/editing pretty badly. He's an awfully sensationalist writer and often only writes five or six sentences per article. It's pretty ridiculous.

Just figured everyone would want to share a laugh with me. :chuckle:

teegre
04-07-2013, 11:36 PM
32. Ravens: S Matt Elam, Florida.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/07/2013-pft-mock-draft-version-2/

I bet teegre is fuming. :chuckle:

That's my WORST nightmare. Not only do the Steelers not get Elam; the Raven draft him. NOOOOO!!!

Hawaii 5-0
04-08-2013, 01:15 AM

OT Eric Fisher lasting until pick #12 and OT Lane Johnson lasting until pick #27? neither of those guys get out of the Top Ten.

thank goodness I stopped reading right then and there or I might have seen something even more ridiculous than that such as the Steelers drafting Damontre Moore...:doh:

PhantomJB93
04-08-2013, 01:26 AM
Damn, I know Jarvis Jones has some red flags, but Damontre Moore has pretty much half his on-field production with all the same work ethic and athletic concerns (minus the neck/spine condition)...

teegre
04-08-2013, 10:02 AM
OT Eric Fisher lasting until pick #12 and OT Lane Johnson lasting until pick #27? neither of those guys get out of the Top Ten.

Yep.

The Bolts need O-line, specifically a LT. They have two solid WRs (one was injured last season), and Rivers can thrown to ANY receiver, if he has time (i.e. not getting sacked). In fact, the rumor is that they want to trade up for one of the LTs.

So, a mock that has them passing on Fisher for a WR makes absolutely NO sense.

ebsteelers
04-08-2013, 10:09 AM
mock drafts are fun to look at you'll see one where jarvis jones doesnt even reach pick 17, another end of round 1.

kennan allen and moore not even in round 1 another draft both top 20 picks...

same thing with geno smith.

SteelersCanada
04-08-2013, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Moore if he's there in the second, but definitely not at 17. Of course, we'd have to take someone like Vaccaro or Elam to shore up Safety before we take any "risky" picks.

ebsteelers
04-08-2013, 10:14 AM
whats the chances moore falls to round 3?

SteelersCanada
04-08-2013, 10:19 AM
whats the chances moore falls to round 3?

To be honest, I don't know. If that happens, it'll be because he had a piss-poor showing at the combine. Whether or not he'll fall that far depends on how teams value strength and versatility for the 'Backers because 12 reps on the bench is ... yikes. He increased it to 17 at his Pro Day, but again, that's not great. It's not even good.

I can see it happening, though. There's probably going to be a slew of Quarterbacks taken in the second round which will open the possibility of guys like him falling.

ebsteelers
04-08-2013, 11:20 AM
To be honest, I don't know. If that happens, it'll be because he had a piss-poor showing at the combine. Whether or not he'll fall that far depends on how teams value strength and versatility for the 'Backers because 12 reps on the bench is ... yikes. He increased it to 17 at his Pro Day, but again, that's not great. It's not even good.

I can see it happening, though. There's probably going to be a slew of Quarterbacks taken in the second round which will open the possibility of guys like him falling.

kind of amazing isn't it?

i remember seeing drafts in january where he was a top 5 pick.. crazy how valued the post season is anymore

SteelersCanada
04-08-2013, 11:28 AM
kind of amazing isn't it?

i remember seeing drafts in january where he was a top 5 pick.. crazy how valued the post season is anymore

It really is.

Werner, Lotulelei, Jones and Moore were considered surefire top 10 picks three of them were considered top 5 picks. Through various circumstances, these guys have all taken a nose dive and I can only say with certainty that two of these guys will be first rounders right now. Moore and Werner might be second day picks.

Hawaii 5-0
04-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Saturday, April 06, 2013

Three weeks out mock draft

I completed my first mock draft of the year a couple of weeks ago - much to the consternation of some - and now that we're about three weeks out from this year's draft, it's time to throw some more stuff against the wall and see what sticks.

Understand that mock drafts are just that - mock. It's what could happen in certain scenarios once teams start picking. And often times, things change from week to week.

Anyway, here we go:

1. Kansas City, Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M - No reason to change from my original draft here.
2. Jacksonville, Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida State - Jacksonville could go a lot of different ways with defenders.
3. Oakland, Ezekial Ensah, DE, BYU - The Raiders have been known to grab workout warriors in recent years. Ensah has a ton of potential.
4. Philadelphia, Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia - The Eagles seem the likely destination for Smith.
5. Detroit, Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan - With Jeff Backus done, the Lions have to protect their investment at QB.
6. Cleveland, Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama - The Browns would have two very good young corners.
7. Arizona, Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma - Any offensive line help is needed in Arizona.
8. Buffalo, Matt Barkley, QB, USC - So much for quarterbacks not being a priority in this draft. Kevin Kolb is not the long-term answer.
9. N.Y. Jets, Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon - The Jets have been searching for pass rushers seemingly since Klecko and Gastineau retired.
10. Tennessee, Chance Warmack, G, Alabama - Warmack is more of a sure thing than some of the guys taken ahead of him. But he's also a guard.
11. San Diego, Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina - The Chargers line was a mess last season. Cooper can play guard or center.
12. Miami, Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State - The Dolphins have filled a lot of holes, but need to get better in the secondary.
13. Tampa Bay, Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington - Tampa Bay's secondary needs an influx of talent.
14. Carolina, Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah - The Panthers get some beef up front.
15. New Orleans, Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia - Jones' neck issues are scaring some teams away, but his pass rushing ability can't be denied. The Saints are moving to a 3-4.
16. St. Louis, Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia - To steal a Todd Grahamism, speed, speed, speed.
17. Pittsburgh, Keenan Allen, WR, California - Something about Allen reminds me of when the Steelers selected Heath Miller in the draft. Miller was unable to work out for teams during the offseason due to a sports hernia and fell into Pittsburgh's lap. Allen was considered the top WR in this draft but has been unable to work out due to injuries - though he is scheduled to do so April 9. He has size and is polished.
18. Dallas, Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas - It's no secret the Cowboys are looking for safety help. And no, Will Allen is not the answer.
19. N.Y. Giants, Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State - The Giants love to college pass rushers.
20. Chicago, D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama - The Bears need to do a better job of protecting the quarterback.
21. Cincinnati, Barkevious Mingo, LB/DE, LSU - Mingo is the type of lanky pass rusher who fits into what the Bengals are doing defensively.
22. St. Louis, Matt Elam, S, Florida - The Rams want to come out of their two first round picks with a WR and safety.
23. Minnesota, Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri - The Vikings were a premiere run-stopping team for many years but have slipped of late.
24. Indianapolis, Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee - Patterson has speed and size but is very raw.
25. Minnesota, Robert Woods, WR, USC - Woods is silky smooth and has good size.
26. Green Bay, Damontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M - The Packers need somebody to provide a pass rush other than Clay Matthews.
27. Houston, DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson - The Texans need a No. 2 option on the outside.
28. Denver, Jonathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State - The Broncos are in a win-now mode and Hankins should help their run defense right away.
29. New England, Datone Jones, DE, UCLA - Jones just seems like a Belichick-type of pick. Smart, effort guy.
30. Atlanta, Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame - Atlanta needs to groom somebody to replace Tony Gonzalez.
31. San Francisco, Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International - The 49ers don't have a lot of needs, but safety could be considered one.
32. Baltimore, Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU - The Ravens need help at inside linebacker and get a thumper.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2013/04/three-weeks-out-mock-draft.html

teegre
04-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Saturday, April 06, 2013

Three weeks out mock draft

I completed my first mock draft of the year a couple of weeks ago - much to the consternation of some - and now that we're about three weeks out from this year's draft, it's time to throw some more stuff against the wall and see what sticks.

Understand that mock drafts are just that - mock. It's what could happen in certain scenarios once teams start picking. And often times, things change from week to week.

Anyway, here we go:

1. Kansas City, Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M - No reason to change from my original draft here.
2. Jacksonville, Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida State - Jacksonville could go a lot of different ways with defenders.
3. Oakland, Ezekial Ensah, DE, BYU - The Raiders have been known to grab workout warriors in recent years. Ensah has a ton of potential.
4. Philadelphia, Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia - The Eagles seem the likely destination for Smith.
5. Detroit, Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan - With Jeff Backus done, the Lions have to protect their investment at QB.
6. Cleveland, Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama - The Browns would have two very good young corners.
7. Arizona, Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma - Any offensive line help is needed in Arizona.
8. Buffalo, Matt Barkley, QB, USC - So much for quarterbacks not being a priority in this draft. Kevin Kolb is not the long-term answer.
9. N.Y. Jets, Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon - The Jets have been searching for pass rushers seemingly since Klecko and Gastineau retired.
10. Tennessee, Chance Warmack, G, Alabama - Warmack is more of a sure thing than some of the guys taken ahead of him. But he's also a guard.
11. San Diego, Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina - The Chargers line was a mess last season. Cooper can play guard or center.
12. Miami, Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State - The Dolphins have filled a lot of holes, but need to get better in the secondary.
13. Tampa Bay, Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington - Tampa Bay's secondary needs an influx of talent.
14. Carolina, Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah - The Panthers get some beef up front.
15. New Orleans, Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia - Jones' neck issues are scaring some teams away, but his pass rushing ability can't be denied. The Saints are moving to a 3-4.
16. St. Louis, Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia - To steal a Todd Grahamism, speed, speed, speed.
17. Pittsburgh, Keenan Allen, WR, California - Something about Allen reminds me of when the Steelers selected Heath Miller in the draft. Miller was unable to work out for teams during the offseason due to a sports hernia and fell into Pittsburgh's lap. Allen was considered the top WR in this draft but has been unable to work out due to injuries - though he is scheduled to do so April 9. He has size and is polished.
18. Dallas, Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas - It's no secret the Cowboys are looking for safety help. And no, Will Allen is not the answer.
19. N.Y. Giants, Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State - The Giants love to college pass rushers.
20. Chicago, D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama - The Bears need to do a better job of protecting the quarterback.
21. Cincinnati, Barkevious Mingo, LB/DE, LSU - Mingo is the type of lanky pass rusher who fits into what the Bengals are doing defensively.
22. St. Louis, Matt Elam, S, Florida - The Rams want to come out of their two first round picks with a WR and safety.
23. Minnesota, Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri - The Vikings were a premiere run-stopping team for many years but have slipped of late.
24. Indianapolis, Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee - Patterson has speed and size but is very raw.
25. Minnesota, Robert Woods, WR, USC - Woods is silky smooth and has good size.
26. Green Bay, Damontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M - The Packers need somebody to provide a pass rush other than Clay Matthews.
27. Houston, DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson - The Texans need a No. 2 option on the outside.
28. Denver, Jonathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State - The Broncos are in a win-now mode and Hankins should help their run defense right away.
29. New England, Datone Jones, DE, UCLA - Jones just seems like a Belichick-type of pick. Smart, effort guy.
30. Atlanta, Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame - Atlanta needs to groom somebody to replace Tony Gonzalez.
31. San Francisco, Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International - The 49ers don't have a lot of needs, but safety could be considered one.
32. Baltimore, Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU - The Ravens need help at inside linebacker and get a thumper.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2013/04/three-weeks-out-mock-draft.html

STL
They replace Danny Amendola with a much better player. And, they get Elam. Cha-ching!!!

SD
Yep, that's who I think that they should take. Protect Rivers from the pass-rush... that has been coming right up the middle.

PITT
Interesting. I'm neither pro nor con (on Allen). I would take Vaccaro or Elam, but Allen is indeed interesting.

THE REST
It looks pretty darn good.... especially the first sixteen picks.

pete74
04-08-2013, 05:53 PM
I would be happy with him. I always liked him but never really thought he would make it past the Jets

SteelersCanada
04-18-2013, 01:07 PM
NFL Draft Predictions: 20 Bold Claims for This Year's Draft

The Steelers Will Draft Jamie Collins

Jamie Collins is an ideal replacement for the exodus of James Harrison. The Steelers have shown a lot of interest in him during the pre-draft process, and he should fit perfectly in Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense.

Look for Pittsburgh to either reach a bit on Collins with their 17th overall pick or, perhaps, they trade up into the early part of the second-round where his value is even more justified. However they maneuver this, I believe he is high on their radar and will do what they can to make him a Steeler.

If Collins does end up wearing the legendary black and gold, he'll be fortunate to have an opportunity for growth in one of the best organizations in the league; an organization that does a great job incubating their young defenders a few years before turning them loose.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1608805-nfl-draft-predictions-20-bold-claims-for-this-years-draft/page/15

-- I wouldn't mind him in the second round, but not at 17.

Hawaii 5-0
04-18-2013, 01:23 PM

I agree completely! :thumbsup:

SteelersCanada
04-18-2013, 01:30 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Sooners">#Sooners</a> WR @<a href="https://twitter.com/justinbrown19">justinbrown19</a> says he has a pre-draft visit set Monday with the <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Steelers">#Steelers</a>. @<a href="https://twitter.com/ou_football">ou_football</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Sooners">#Sooners</a> @<a href="https://twitter.com/siriusxmnfl">siriusxmnfl</a> @<a href="https://twitter.com/15miller">15miller</a></p>&mdash; Alex Marvez (@alexmarvez) <a href="https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/323175857998946304">April 13, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Justin Brown is a 6'3 210 lbs. receiver from the Sooners. He's considered a sleeper by a lot of different reports and a possible 3rd round pick.

GMU Steeler
04-18-2013, 02:01 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Sooners">#Sooners</a> WR @<a href="https://twitter.com/justinbrown19">justinbrown19</a> says he has a pre-draft visit set Monday with the <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Steelers">#Steelers</a>. @<a href="https://twitter.com/ou_football">ou_football</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Sooners">#Sooners</a> @<a href="https://twitter.com/siriusxmnfl">siriusxmnfl</a> @<a href="https://twitter.com/15miller">15miller</a></p>&mdash; Alex Marvez (@alexmarvez) <a href="https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/323175857998946304">April 13, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Justin Brown is a 6'3 210 lbs. receiver from the Sooners. He's considered a sleeper by a lot of different reports and a possible 3rd round pick.

I know nothing about him since I am not a college ball fan but I like that size. I trust what the scouting dep't has done with WRs in recent years.

Hawaii 5-0
04-18-2013, 02:26 PM

NFLDraftscout.com lists Justin Brown as an UDFA.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/WR

teegre
04-18-2013, 02:59 PM

Jamie Collins is an ideal replacement for the exodus of James Harrison. The Steelers have shown a lot of interest in him during the pre-draft process, and he should fit perfectly in Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense.

Look for Pittsburgh to either reach a bit on Collins with their 17th overall pick or, perhaps, they trade up into the early part of the second-round where his value is even more justified. However they maneuver this, I believe he is high on their radar and will do what they can to make him a Steeler.

If Collins does end up wearing the legendary black and gold, he'll be fortunate to have an opportunity for growth in one of the best organizations in the league; an organization that does a great job incubating their young defenders a few years before turning them loose.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1608805-nfl-draft-predictions-20-bold-claims-for-this-years-draft/page/15

I think Collins sneaks into the end of R1. He is my sleeper/darkhourse... or whatever you want to call it. I think he's going to be like Ray Rice: people are going to wish that they had drafted him in the late 20s of the first round.

If he is there at 48, I'd take him in a hearbeat.

At 17... uh... I think not.

Oh... it's from bleacher report... that explains a lot. LOL

SteelersCanada
04-18-2013, 04:06 PM
NFLDraftscout.com lists Justin Brown as an UDFA.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/WR

Whaaaaat? Well apparently I was way off.

teegre
04-18-2013, 04:18 PM
I've been thinking about this:

Trade back from 17 to 25ish. Draft Arthur Brown at 25. Use that newly acquired pick, to trade up in R2 for Jamie Collins. Then, draft Swearinger.

25: ILB Brown
36: OLB Collins
R3: SS Swearinger

SteelersCanada
04-18-2013, 04:22 PM
I've been thinking about this:

Trade back from 17 to 25ish. Draft Arthur Brown at 25. Use that newly acquired pick, to trade up in R2 for Jamie Collins. Then, draft Swearinger.

25: ILB Brown
36: OLB Collins
R3: SS Swearinger

Like! Make it happen.

Also, what do you think about DJ Hayden? He's apparently been getting a lot of buzz recently. Mayock just put him as his top CB in the draft. I think if he's still there in the second round it's an absolute must, injury history aside.

teegre
04-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Like! Make it happen.

Also, what do you think about DJ Hayden? He's apparently been getting a lot of buzz recently. Mayock just put him as his top CB in the draft. I think if he's still there in the second round it's an absolute must, injury history aside.

After Dee Milliner, there is not a CB that I really think I would "have" to have. There are a lot of good CBs, but none that are great.

Simply, it depends on who else is available in each round.

casteeler
04-18-2013, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=teegre;1103984]After Dee Milliner, there is not a CB that I really think I would "have" to have. There are a lot of good CBs, but none that are great.

That's how I feel about Eddie Lacy.

Bane
04-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Minnesota also looking to move up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/18/vikings-interested-in-moving-up-in-first-round/

If the right guy is there, we could be in luck.

teegre
04-19-2013, 12:34 AM
Minnesota also looking to move up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/18/vikings-interested-in-moving-up-in-first-round/

If the right guy is there, we could be in luck.

Alas, Austin will likely be gone by 17.

But, if he is indeed there, trading back to 23, while acquiring a R3 pick would allow the Steelers to address four needs (as opposed to merely three). I see S and LB being addressed no matter what, and then either WR or RB... getting an extra pick allows that to be a WR and a RB.

Bane
04-19-2013, 03:21 PM
They may like Patterson.

Although, breaking news: Fuck Tyrann Mathieu. If this story is true, of course:

There is an interesting story that surfaced in a recent ESPN the Magazine profile of former LSU Tigers defensive back Tyrann Mathieu. Mathieu was one of LSU’s most dynamic players during his time with the team, but it appears that the last game that he played for the Tigers, the BCS National Championship game against Alabama in 2012, he didn’t even want to be there.

Mathieu reportedly was telling his girlfriend “I don’t even want to play,” leading up to the game.

That could certainly be a problem moving forward.

If Mathieu wasn’t interested in playing the biggest game of his career, can NFL teams be sure he has a passion to play the game?

Mathieu hasn’t played a football game since, but he seems to have really changed his life for the better and he’s working hard to get himself back on the right track. Hopefully during his time away from the game, Mathieu once again found his passion. The fact that he was so disinterested in the national championship game could be more troublesome to teams than the fact that he reportedly failed more than ten drug tests.

We will find out where Mathieu is selected next week during the 2013 NFL Draft. As it stands now, he should hear his name called near the third-round.

http://fansided.com/2013/04/19/tyrann-mathieu-wanted-to-skip-bcs-national-championship/

teegre
04-19-2013, 03:23 PM
They may like Patterson.

Although, breaking news: Fuck Tyrann Mathieu. If this story is true, of course:

http://fansided.com/2013/04/19/tyrann-mathieu-wanted-to-skip-bcs-national-championship/

Of course he did not want to be there. Bam Morris, Nate Newton, and Todd Marinovich were waiting in a van down the street.

desertsteel
04-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Vans FTW!!!

Hawaii 5-0
04-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Bires: Steelers' pick is anyone's guess

Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013
By Mike Bires

PITTSBURGH -- It’s been a long time since the Steelers went into the NFL Draft with so much uncertainty. With so many holes to fill, it’s hard to pinpoint who they’ll select with their first-round pick.

We know for sure it won’t be a quarterback. Ben Roethlisberger may be 31, but he’s still the face of the franchise.

It won’t be an offensive or defensive lineman. There have been enough of them taken in the first round the last four years (Ziggy Hood, 2009; Maurkice Pouncey, 2010; Cameron Heyward, 2011; David DeCastro, 2012).

And it’s not going to be a running back, even though the Steelers need one.
Other than those positions, it’s wide open.

With the 17th choice, a case can be made for a wide receiver, inside and outside linebacker, safety, cornerback and tight end.

In a draft not exactly loaded with can’t-miss prospects, it’s anybody’s guess who the Steelers will take. There’s no consensus pick among the mock drafts.

With eight picks in this week’s draft, the Steelers have already identified who they believe are the top 150 players. Of that group, general manager Kevin Colbert believes there are six to eight “who we think are special.”

Unless there are major surprises when the first 16 picks are made Thursday night, the Steelers will select one of the special players on Colbert’s list.

Colbert, who’s never had a true first-round bust in his first 12 years with the Steelers, believes there’s plenty of potential in Rounds 2 through 4. But it’s always the first-round pick that creates the most excitement and fanfare. That’s why the NFL reserves Day 1 of the three-day draft for only the first round.

Last year, it was quarterbacks who dominated Round 1. Four of the first 22 picks were QBs (Andrew Luck, No. 1; Robert Griffin III, No. 2; Ryan Tannehill, No. 8; and Brandon Weeden, No. 22). This year, the only quarterback projected as a first-rounder is West Virginia’s Geno Smith.

That’s OK with the Steelers, who are set with Roethlisberger and Bruce Gradkowski as his backup.

But with speedster Mike Wallace gone via free agency, the Steelers desperately need help at wide receiver.

The Steelers always have an eye out for pass-rushing outside linebackers, and with James Harrison now on the Bengals’ roster, that’s a position that needs an upgrade.

Likewise at inside linebacker, with Larry Foote another year older and Sean Spence, a third-round choice last year, trying to bounce back from a knee injury that wiped out his rookie season.

Ryan Clark turns 34 in October and 32-year-old Troy Polamalu only played seven games last year due to injuries, so there’s a need for safety help especially after backups Will Allen and Ryan Mundy weren’t re-signed.

With Heath Miller still mending from major knee surgery, it’s uncertain when he’ll be able to play again. So, tight end is certainly a first-round option.

“There will be a good player at 17, there’s no question about that,” Colbert said.

PLAYERS STEELERS MIGHT DRAFT

Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
Alexander Ogletree, ILB, Georgia
Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/bires-steelers-pick-is-anyone-s-guess/article_bd08bff7-06ed-536b-ad31-8ba8bcdc4734.html