PDA

View Full Version : Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft

Pages : [1] 2

pittfan4life
12-30-2012, 11:34 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers fought hard to earn against the Cleveland Browns the win preventing the first losing campaign in nearly a decade. Their consolation prize for not making the playoffs, is the 17th selction in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Kanata-Steeler
12-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Interesting, 17th,
Well, win or lose, we still would have been in the high "teens" draft-wise.
But I'm still curious to know what are draft pick would have been, had we lost, ?, even though that's a moot point now.

In the end, it was better to win honestly, than lose dishonestly.

Ricco Suavez
12-30-2012, 11:53 PM
It matters less of where we pick than who we pick. Top picks fail miserably i.e. JaMarcus Russell, Vince Young, Matt Lienart, would you be satisfied with Reggie Bush. Too many people putting emphasis on picking higher equates better picks, not necessarily so. For every draft you can name that we missed out on a quality player (ala Revis) then I can name an instead pick for example how bout Ray Rice instead of Mendenhall. High sight is what makes monday morning QBs so good.

Kanata-Steeler
12-30-2012, 11:56 PM
It matters less of where we pick than who we pick. Top picks fail miserably i.e. JaMarcus Russell, Vince Young, Matt Lienart, would you be satisfied with Reggie Bush. Too many people putting emphasis on picking higher equates better picks, not necessarily so. For every draft you can name that we missed out on a quality player (ala Revis) then I can name an instead pick for example how bout Ray Rice instead of Mendenhall. High sight is what makes monday morning QBs so good.

Not really, they "BOTH" matter,
'cause thanks to our miserable 2003 record, and a high "teen" draft pick, how do you think we got Ben, ... ?

PhantomJB93
12-31-2012, 12:02 AM
Ugh, we could have picked as high as 11 if we hadn't magically gotten motivated to win once we were out of the playoffs. Hopefully somebody awesome falls to 17 but we'll probably wind up reaching for somebody we could have gotten later on anyway.

austinfrench76
12-31-2012, 12:04 AM
Didn't the Jets own the pick in front of us for Revis??? I agree that it doesn't matter where you pick, misses happen across the board but sometimes picking a few spots earlier certainly gets you a better player ala the Revis situation! No matter what, we are picking 17th so hopefully it's a TE, WR or a RB. I know those are "glamour " positions but I think we need one of each. And of course depth in other areas.

defence
12-31-2012, 12:08 AM
The draft is huge. But the Steelers must realize they need to hit the free agent market if they want to be good next year

teegre
12-31-2012, 12:10 AM
Didn't the Jets own the pick in front of us for Revis??? I agree that it doesn't matter where you pick, misses happen across the board but sometimes picking a few spots earlier certainly gets you a better player ala the Revis situation! No matter what, we are picking 17th so hopefully it's a TE, WR or a RB. I know those are "glamour " positions but I think we need one of each. And of course depth in other areas.

The NYJets jumped ahead of the Steelers (from 25) to steal Revis.

Thank you for pouring salt in my wound. :wink02:

I say "NO" to WR, RB, or TE... especially at 17. At 32, maaaybe (Tavon Austin, Tyler Eiffert)... but, not at 17.

Ricco Suavez
12-31-2012, 12:15 AM
If this was a perfect world we would of picked Brady in the 7th round the year he came out. All I am saying is unless a team does its homework and sometimes even if they do (you cannot predict injuries or just plain stupid) there are no guarantees. If early picks was the end all of success then the Lions, Browns, and Jaguars would of been to the SB by now. Some of you just cant be happy with a win, even if it cost us an earlier pick, I want my team to win and I look forward to seeing how the draft turns out. BTW i will likely wait at least 3-5 years before I declare anyone a bust as long as they are still on the roster.

Cherinko
12-31-2012, 12:16 AM

Where we pick is predicative of who we pick. No pick is a sure thing and great players fall through the cracks but players who are picked earlier have a higher chance of being successful..that's why they're picked earlier. With the rookie wage scale, nobody can argue they'd rather have the 17th pick than the 16th or the 10th. Draft position and player success are correlated.

teegre
12-31-2012, 12:20 AM
If this was a perfect world we would of picked Brady in the 7th round the year he came out. All I am saying is unless a team does its homework and sometimes even if they do (you cannot predict injuries or just plain stupid) there are no guarantees. If early picks was the end all of success then the Lions, Browns, and Jaguars would of been to the SB by now. Some of you just cant be happy with a win, even if it cost us an earlier pick, I want my team to win and I look forward to seeing how the draft turns out. BTW i will likely wait at least 3-5 years before I declare anyone a bust as long as they are still on the roster.

I hear you... but...

In 2007, Tomlin was not a fan of FWP. He wanted another RB. At #15, Tomlin didn't have the ammo to trade up for AP. BUT, if the Steelers had been picking at #11, they would have likely gone after AP.

Likewise, assuming that Te'o is "the in pick", the Steelers might have traded up from 11 to 5 (unlikely, but possible), but they will not trade up from 17 to 5 (out of the question).

Make sense?

But, trust me: I get what you are saying: for every N-Donkeykong Suh, they is a Geno Atkins drafted in R4.

Ricco Suavez
12-31-2012, 12:25 AM
My last thoughts on the matter, Belichek ,(who some think is the greatest coach ever, even on this board) made it a habit of trading higher picks for multiple lower picks. Reasoning is he felt he could pick players more suited for his system in the lower positions and at lower salaries. I personally would love some of the guys who have been drafted above us in years past but the pragmatic logic is you HAVE to pay for that talent, and when you spend for talent in one place you have to find bargains in others.

Justp94
12-31-2012, 01:52 AM
The draft is huge. But the Steelers must realize they need to hit the free agent market if they want to be good next year

The Steelers don't need to hit the Free Agent market, we have enough talent on the rise and with a solid draft over the next couple years we'll be back on track.

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
12-31-2012, 02:13 AM
Hopefully Te'o or Mingo falls...if not we might grab one of the safeties

desertsteel
12-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Ugh, we could have picked as high as 11 if we hadn't magically gotten motivated to win once we were out of the playoffs. Hopefully somebody awesome falls to 17 but we'll probably wind up reaching for somebody we could have gotten later on anyway.

Exactly. This organization never does anything right!

/sarcasm

FrancoLambert
12-31-2012, 10:29 AM
"It doesn't matter where you pick."
:rofl:

The_Joker
12-31-2012, 10:36 AM
Running back! Running back!

Fire Haley
12-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Well, win or lose, we still would have been in the high "teens" draft-wise..

not true

12th

if the Steelers would've lost to the Browns, they would've moved up five spots to 12th in draft just behind San Diego.

It would've been the highest the Steelers selected since taking Ben Roethlisberger with the 11th pick in 2004

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/8a1f38a9-23c5-418f-a53c-ae88526e3812/?source=twitter

steeltheone
12-31-2012, 11:20 AM

Because of poor drafting!

Kingmagyar
12-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Scouting is so good now usually they have those top 10+ players pegged pretty well. It certainly couldn't have hurt to be drafting 12th.

Here are the last several drafts top 12 picks

1 Andrew Luck QB Stanford Pac-12
2 Robert Griffin III QB Baylor Big 12
3 Trent Richardson RB Alabama SEC
4 Matt Kalil OT USC Pac-12
5 Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State Big 12
6 Morris Claiborne CB LSU SEC
7 Mark Barron S Alabama SEC
8 Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M Big 12
9 Luke Kuechly LB Boston College ACC
10 Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina SEC
11 Dontari Poe DT Memphis C-USA
12 Fletcher Cox DT Miss State SEC

1 Cam Newton QB Auburn SEC
2 Von Miller LB Texas A&M Big 12
3 Marcell Dareus DE Alabama SEC
4 A. J. Green WR Georgia SEC
5 Patrick Peterson CB LSU SEC
6 Julio Jones WR Alabama SEC
7 Aldon Smith LB Missouri Big 12
8 Jake Locker QB Washington Pac-10
9 Tyron Smith OT USC Pac-10
10 Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri Big 12
11 J. J. Watt DE Wisconsin Big Ten
12 Christian Ponder QB Florida State ACC

1 Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma Big 12
2 Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska Big 12
3 Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma Big 12
4 Trent Williams OT Oklahoma Big 12
5 Eric Berry S Tennessee SEC
6 Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State Big 12
7 Joe Haden CB Florida SEC
8 Rolando McClain LB Alabama SEC
9 C. J. Spiller RB Clemson ACC
10 Tyson Alualu DT California Pac-10
11 Anthony Davis OT Rutgers Big East
12 Ryan Mathews RB Fresno State WAC

Perhaps more importantly are some of the players that go between 12 and 17. In the past three years we have guys like:

S Earl Thomas
DL Jason Pierre Paul
G Mike Iupati
G Mike Pouncey
OT Nate Solder
OLB Ryan Kerrigan
DE OLB Robet Quinn
WR Michael Floyd
DT Michael Brockers
OLB DE Bruce Irvin
DE Quinton Coples
CB Dre Kirkpatrick

Notables after pick 17 the last 3 years I found to have proven themselves remains slim and really only 2010 is where I find these names

C Maurkice Pouncey
WR Dez Bryant
WR Demaryius Thomas
CB Devon McCorty
TE Jermaine Gresham

teegre
12-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Here are some:

Jeremy Maclin
Alex Mack
Percy Harvin
Michael Oher
Clay Matthews
Hakeem Nicks
Kenny Britt

Sean Weatherspoon
Jermaine Gresham
Demaryous Thomas
Brian Bulaga
Dez Bryant

[It's too early to tell about the 2011 & 2012 draft classes.]

GMU Steeler
12-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Here are some:

Jeremy Maclin
Alex Mack
Percy Harvin
Michael Oher
Clay Matthews
Hakeem Nicks
Kenny Britt

Sean Weatherspoon
Jermaine Gresham
Demaryous Thomas
Brian Bulaga
Dez Bryant

[It's too early to tell about the 2011 & 2012 draft classes.]
If we could get a Clay Matthews type, that would be awesome. Wonder if we'll trade up. We haven't done that in a while. Don't know too much about this year's class though to know whether that's smart or not tho.

Galax Steeler
12-31-2012, 04:48 PM
If we could get a Clay Matthews type, that would be awesome. Wonder if we'll trade up. We haven't done that in a while. Don't know too much about this year's class though to know whether that's smart or not tho.

In my opinion I think we need to set back and let the players fall to us. To me I don't think there is anyone that I would trade up for from where we are selecting.

teegre
12-31-2012, 04:48 PM

It depends on who one wants.

For Te'o, the Steelers might have to trade up (although, as SteelersCanada has pointed out, he might drop to 17).

At 17, there will be a TON of OLBs. That would be my guess: staying put & hoping Te'o drops, and if not, they take the BAP at OLB.

[I also like Matt Elam, but he is not worthy of the 17th pick.]

GMU Steeler
12-31-2012, 04:49 PM
In my opinion I think we need to set back and let the players fall to us. To me I don't think there is anyone that I would trade up for from where we are selecting.

That approach usually works. I like our drafting philosophy so I can't really gripe with how Colbert & Tomlin scout and draft talent.

Galax Steeler
12-31-2012, 04:51 PM
It depends on who one wants.

For Te'o, the Steelers might have to trade up (although, as SteelersCanada has pointed out, he might drop to 17).

At 17, there will be a TON of OLBs. That would be my guess: staying put & hoping Te'o drops, and if not, they take the BAP at OLB.

[I also like Matt Elam, but he is not worthy of the 17th pick.]

There was no way in hell that DeCastro was going to drop to us last year but he did.

teegre
12-31-2012, 04:53 PM
There was no way in hell that DeCastro was going to drop to us last year but he did.

Sooooo... true. :wink02:

Hawaii 5-0
12-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Steelers notebook: 8-8 record leads to 17th pick in April’s NFL Draft

By Alan Robinson
Published: Monday, December 31, 2012

The Steelers will draft 17th in the first round, the highest they‘ve selected since they chose linebacker Lawrence Timmons 15th overall in 2007. The draft order has been set for Nos. 1-20; the other 12 slots will be determined during the playoffs. The top six will be Kansas City, Jacksonville, Oakland, Philadelphia, Detroit and Cleveland. Of the 20 teams that didn‘t reach the postseason, the Steelers had the easiest strength of schedule.

• Safety Ryan Clark was released from a hospital Monday after being kept overnight for precautionary reasons with a severely bruised quadriceps. Because Clark had two concussions during the season, he posted on Twitter from the hospital that his visit wasn‘t concussion-related.

• Defensive end Brett Keisel and cornerback Keenan Lewis won‘t need surgery to repair sprained medial collateral knee ligaments, and cornerback Ike Taylor (broken foot) and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder, ribs) also won‘t need an operation. Roethlisberger is a second alternate for the Pro Bowl but said he doesn‘t think he is healthy enough to play even if a slot opens up.

• Clark was impressed with how Lewis played hurt Sunday against Cleveland, even in a game with no playoff implications. “His play was a big reason why we finished No. 1 (in defense) — what he showed late in the season, being injured, we knew he was hurt but trying to go out and play,” Clark said. “That‘s what you want to see, the fact he wants to be on the field. It means a lot to us.”

• Cortez Allen, who replaced the injured Taylor as a starter in December, accounted for one-quarter of all the Steelers‘ takeaways in just the final two weeks of the season. But he‘s not ready to campaign for a starting job if Lewis leaves. “I don‘t know Keenan‘s plans, but always I go in and try to give my best effort with whatever I do and everything will fall in place,” Allen said Monday.

• Charlie Batch, the oldest quarterback to play for the Steelers, will be 39 next season — but still believes he can play and likely will seek a job for next season. The Steelers could choose to bring him back and then bring in two other younger quarterbacks for camp. One thing he‘s not yet ready to do is become an assistant coach, although some teammates believe he would be an effective quarterbacks coach.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3216531-74/season-steelers-clark#ixzz2GgS7tElL

austinfrench76
01-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Agree that Te'o won't fall to 17. After today, i'd take Ogletree in a minute!!!

Also, with our 2nd round drafting track record I would have no problem with them trading up using our 2nd round pick! Couldn't do much worse than we have recently! Worilds, Sweed, etc... Just a thought.

GoFor7
01-01-2013, 07:29 PM
I heard their were questions about Te'o's speed. Is it enough of a concern to drop him to 17?

teegre
01-01-2013, 07:43 PM
I heard their were questions about Te'o's speed. Is it enough of a concern to drop him to 17?

I hope so.

You & I both know that the combine drops good players down. Let's hope that is exactly what happens.

btw: Jerry Rice... too slow. LOL

casteeler
01-01-2013, 07:51 PM
I would like to see the Steelers trade up. Monte Ball looks like a great back but to be quite honest the offensive line can't run block. I also think that the Steelers should look into their own back yard and pick up Pitt TE Shanahan. The combination of Ben missing Heath and the dink and dunk offense Shanahans size would help with ball control. Maybe a trade with Washington for a certain WR and maybe a RB of their choice for Cousins could solve the backup QB situation:thumbsup:

GoFor7
01-01-2013, 07:52 PM
If the Steelers do draft Te'o, then maybe it's time to give serious consideration to switch to a 4-3 defense.

teegre
01-01-2013, 07:58 PM
I would like to see the Steelers trade up. Monte Ball looks like a great back but to be quite honest the offensive line can't run block. I also think that the Steelers should look into their own back yard and pick up Pitt TE Shanahan. The combination of Ben missing Heath and the dink and dunk offense Shanahans size would help with ball control. Maybe a trade with Washington for a certain WR and maybe a RB of their choice for Cousins could solve the backup QB situation:thumbsup:

No need to trade up for Ball. He'll be there in R3 (if one wanted him).

teegre
01-01-2013, 07:59 PM
If the Steelers do draft Te'o, then maybe it's time to give serious consideration to switch to a 4-3 defense.

Please, explain. (I'm not being argumentative; I really want to know why you want the 4-3/see the 4-3 as an option.)

GoFor7
01-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Please, explain. (I'm not being argumentative; I really want to know why you want the 4-3/see the 4-3 as an option.)

A lack of good pass rushing OLBs. Remember, Harrison may not be back and Worlids has been up and down and has had injury issues.

teegre
01-01-2013, 08:12 PM
A lack of good pass rushing OLBs. Remember, Harrison may not be back and Worlids has been up and down and has had injury issues.

Ah... I see.

In the 4-3, Timmons "could" play OLB... and Spence as the other OLB... with Te'o as the MLB. And, Woodley plays DE. I see where you are going.

BUT...

Assuming that they stick with the 3-4... but add an OLB (& Te'o). Timmons & Te'o would be an amazing pair of ILBs; Woodley recommits himself; and, they draft Shayne Skov or Alex Van Noy. Problem(s) solved.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Te'o Will be there at #17 unless somebody buys into the hype like they did Dontari Poe last year. Spence and Timmons are both better suited to be WILL LB in a 4-3. I think a real pass rusher will be there at #17 for us....Maybe Mingo.

lloydwoodson
01-05-2013, 05:40 AM
Te'o Will be there at #17 unless somebody buys into the hype like they did Dontari Poe last year. Spence and Timmons are both better suited to be WILL LB in a 4-3. I think a real pass rusher will be there at #17 for us....Maybe Mingo.

If Mingo ran 4.5 and put up 30 reps he would be picked 3rd by the Raiders. Hard to say what teams will do until after the combine. It's fun to speculate though.

steeltheone
01-05-2013, 09:41 AM

If thats the case, why are we paying over 20 mill for Harrison and Woodley?

wwhickok
01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Im telling you right now there will be 32 head coaches watching college football tonight. Te'o is on EVERYONES radar. I hope BAMA destroys ND and drops Te'o's value. I would LOVE to see pittsbrugh get him oh....and if he makes it to pick 10 dont be shocked to see Pittburgh trade up to get him.

lloydwoodson
01-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Im telling you right now there will be 32 head coaches watching college football tonight. Te'o is on EVERYONES radar. I hope BAMA destroys ND and drops Te'o's value. I would LOVE to see pittsbrugh get him oh....and if he makes it to pick 10 dont be shocked to see Pittburgh trade up to get him.

MyCleo is that you?

Hawaii 5-0
01-08-2013, 12:32 AM

well, you got your wish.

after tonight's performance, the Steelers won't have to trade up for Te'o. he'll still be there at pick #17.

teegre
01-08-2013, 12:42 AM
well, you got your wish.

after tonight's performance, the Steelers won't have to trade up for Te'o. he'll still be there at pick #17.

BB had a four INT game against Iowa. These things happen.

Te'o will go to SD at 10.

SteelersCanada
01-08-2013, 12:44 AM
well, you got your wish.

You're still on board with taking him? I mean, I'm not going to change my entire ideology on a player based on one game, but it was a pretty big game for him to screw up so badly.

If it comes down to Te'o or CJ Mosley, it shouldn't even be a competition. Did you guys see Mosley tonight? Holy sweet mother of Jesus, please line up for us opposite Woodley.

teegre
01-08-2013, 12:49 AM
You're still on board with taking him? I mean, I'm not going to change my entire ideology on a player based on one game, but it was a pretty big game for him to screw up so badly.

If it comes down to Te'o or CJ Mosley, it shouldn't even be a competition. Did you guys see Mosley tonight? Holy sweet mother of Jesus, please line up for us opposite Woodley.

I wanted Mosley & then Elam...
...but, alas, Mosley said a few months ago that he is going back to school (right?).

If he comes out, then my top choice is definitely Mosely (again).

PhantomJB93
01-08-2013, 12:52 AM

I'd still take Te'o over Mosley. Mosley is the superior athlete but Te'o will be the superior football player down the line. Better smarts, instincts, playmaking ability. Not to mention Mosley was playing with way better players than Te'o and against vastly inferior competition. I wouldn't let one game change everything.

teegre
01-08-2013, 12:53 AM
I just found this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130107/bcs-championship-game-nfl-draft-preview/

So... is he coming out??? He is currently not listed/not declared, and he said earlier in the season that he's coming back... but... oh man!!!

SteelersCanada
01-08-2013, 12:56 AM
I'd still take Te'o over Mosley. Mosley is the superior athlete but Te'o will be the superior football player down the line. Better smarts, instincts, playmaking ability. Not to mention Mosley was playing with way better players than Te'o and against vastly inferior competition. I wouldn't let one game change everything.

Oh, no, absolutely not. One game shouldn't - and won't - but Mosley was always at the top of my list. The dude is just amazing. That being said, however, Teegre ruined my fun and reminded me that he's going back to Tuscaloosa for one more year. Thanks, Teegre! :mad:

On a more serious note, Te'o will go to the Chargers or Saints leaving us with Jordan or Mingo. Pick your poison.

I just found this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130107/bcs-championship-game-nfl-draft-preview/

So... is he coming out??? He is currently not listed/not declared, and he said earlier in the season that he's coming back... but... oh man!!!

There's conflicting reports, but the most trustworthy ones have him going back to the Crimson Tide for one more year.

teegre
01-08-2013, 12:56 AM

I've wanted two players since September: Mosley & Elam.

I thought that I would get neither/neither would declare. If I could get Mosley & Elam, I would lose my mind.

NOTE: I still like Te'o. As I was saying, he had one bad game... one really bad game. BB had a 4 INT performance against Iowa... and he turned out to be pretty good. Now, if I had my choice: I'd take Mosley, because I think the kid is a stud. But, it would not be a bad choice either way.

teegre
01-08-2013, 12:58 AM
Oh, no, absolutely not. One game shouldn't - and won't - but Mosley was always at the top of my list. The dude is just amazing. That being said, however, Teegre ruined my fun and reminded me that he's going back to Tuscaloosa for one more year. Thanks, Teegre! :mad:

On a more serious note, Te'o will go to the Chargers or Saints leaving us with Jordan or Mingo. Pick your poison.

Sorry, man.

For a second there, I was jumping for joy (almost literally)... thinking that maybe he had declared after the game that he was coming out. Alas...

PhantomJB93
01-08-2013, 01:01 AM
Yeah I like Mosley too, I guess I just have the opposite opinion that Mosley will be good while Te'o will be great. I wouldn't be upset with either but obviously if both were there I'd take Te'o.

And I'm huge on Elam too and ideally I would want either him or Lacy in the second. I get the feeling Elam will wind up in the first though. I think I'd rather trade into the 20's and take Elam if Mosley doesn't declare and Te'o is gone though, I'd prefer him to an OLB in the first.

SteelersCanada
01-08-2013, 01:03 AM
I think I'd rather trade into the 20's and take Elam if Mosley doesn't declare and Te'o is gone though, I'd prefer him to an OLB in the first.

Our luck, Elam will end up on the Patriots. :doh:

Sorry, man.

For a second there, I was jumping for joy (almost literally)... thinking that maybe he had declared after the game that he was coming out. Alas...

If we got Mosley then our pass-rush would be solved. Imagine Mosley playing opposite an in-shape, healthy LaMarr Woodley? I mean, grabbing Mosley and Johnson from 'Bama would be the best case scenario for this team and would ultimately improve this defense instantly. I really hope he doesn't go back and does decide to declare for the draft.

teegre
01-08-2013, 01:19 AM
Our luck, Elam will end up on the Patriots. :doh:

Noooooooooooo!!!

Them... or the Ravens. :banging:

It happened with Ed Reed, and while the Steelers ended up with Troy... every time I see Ed Reed make an INT, it still hurts me.

Noooooooooooo!!!

Steeler7BR
01-08-2013, 01:50 AM
Noooooooooooo!!!

Them... or the Ravens. :banging:

It happened with Ed Reed, and while the Steelers ended up with Troy... every time I see Ed Reed make an INT, it still hurts me.

Noooooooooooo!!!

I don't understand why you all are so big on Elam. When I look at him I see a Back Up Saftey in 3 or 4 years. 1st rounder is way to high for him and I can't imagine how he got there.

Te'o will be drafted anyway when we are on the clock. He was way to hyped this season and had really a monster year. No way 16 teams pass on him.

My first choice is if he's open which I don't think so after this game tonight. Chance Warmack. Everybody says our run game is too weak we need to improve. With this guy we will improve a lot. He is such a talent we need him. If he's available but I think he will be taken before.

In the first round I really see nobody worth the pick. Maybe Dion Jordan but I think he would be a big gamble because in my mind he's a very raw talent with a high upside but also a big chance of a bust.

I think Warmack would be good. Second Round Sean Porter. A great Pass Rusher out of Texas A&M I think would fit great at our Outside Linebacker position. Third Round pick we need to draft Bacarri Rambo. One of the best safties in this draft in my mind. Should be taken way higher but luckily there are a few good safties in this years draft. And here is where it gets tough. Because not only Rambo would be great also Shayne Skov a ILB I think from Oklahoma he is. He would fit perfect in our system. But he could be drafted near the end of round 3. I actually don't know a lot about the late round ILB but I think we need to take him here to get a value ILB. That would be my picks for this years draft.

wwhickok
01-08-2013, 07:37 AM
well, you got your wish.

Good. I hope we draft him. But I am also not a scout. At face value the kid looks talented and he has a natural leadership quality...although ND should have lost to USC also.

cbrunn
01-08-2013, 08:49 AM
If Mingo ran 4.5 and put up 30 reps he would be picked 3rd by the Raiders. Hard to say what teams will do until after the combine. It's fun to speculate though.

I think I read that Magnus Hunt is looking to run in the 4.6s and put up over 40 reps

He's like 6'7 270

steelfury02
01-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Good. I hope we draft him. But I am also not a scout. At face value the kid looks talented and he has a natural leadership quality...although ND should have lost to USC also.

I haven't watched enough of Te'o, but, that whole defense got absolutely steam-rolled last night. Crimson looked so much larger and more physically dominating

torpedoshell31
01-08-2013, 10:02 AM
I just saw on "Mike and Mike" that Mosley is staying in college for one more year. I too wanted us to draft Warmack, but forget that after last night, he was so dominant that he'll go long before we draft at #17.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2013, 10:08 AM
I haven't watched enough of Te'o, but, that whole defense got absolutely steam-rolled last night. Crimson looked so much larger and more physically dominating

Teo is so overhyped, I think he really belongs in picks 25-35 in the draft. Shane Skov at pick 49 would be better value.

Hawaii 5-0
01-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Walterfootball is a very knowledgeable and reputable draft site:

1(17) Pittsburgh Steelers: Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame

I think this is a good spot for Manti Te'o. He was brutal in the national championship, but that shouldn't erase all of his other great tape. He's still the favorite to be the first inside linebacker off the board, and the 16-25 range seems right for him. Besides, this is the type of move the Steelers normally make. They often are able to snag talented prospects who fall to them later in the first round for whatever reason.

The Steelers have shown interest in first-round inside linebackers. They wanted Dont'a Hightower last April, but David DeCastro was just too good to pass up at No. 24 overall. Pittsburgh still has to find an inside linebacker because Larry Foote was awful this year. He finished near the top of dubious rankings like missed tackles and touchdowns allowed by players at his position.

Pick change; previously Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB LSU

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013_1.php

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Walterfootball is a very knowledgeable and reputable draft site:

1(17) Pittsburgh Steelers: Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame

I think this is a good spot for Manti Te'o. He was brutal in the national championship, but that shouldn't erase all of his other great tape. He's still the favorite to be the first inside linebacker off the board, and the 16-25 range seems right for him. Besides, this is the type of move the Steelers normally make. They often are able to snag talented prospects who fall to them later in the first round for whatever reason.

The Steelers have shown interest in first-round inside linebackers. They wanted Dont'a Hightower last April, but David DeCastro was just too good to pass up at No. 24 overall. Pittsburgh still has to find an inside linebacker because Larry Foote was awful this year. He finished near the top of dubious rankings like missed tackles and touchdowns allowed by players at his position.

Pick change; previously Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB LSU

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013_1.php

I like how Matt says that "Larry Foote was awful this year"....while the majority on this forum think he was solid and dependable.

Foote was pretty bad this year and I'll be happy when he isnt in the starting lineup for the Steelers any more. .......and before the Foote fans here start calling me a hater, I will have you know that I love Big Ten football and have followed Foote since he was at Michigan. Its time for him to go.

Darkstorm05
01-08-2013, 09:58 PM
I like how Matt says that "Larry Foote was awful this year"....while the majority on this forum think he was solid and dependable.

Foote was pretty bad this year and I'll be happy when he isnt in the starting lineup for the Steelers any more. .......and before the Foote fans here start calling me a hater, I will have you know that I love Big Ten football and have followed Foote since he was at Michigan. Its time for him to go.

The love for him has amazed me. The guy wasn't good enough to make it with the Lion's, and somehow became our starter. I seem to remember quotes in the paper where the coaching staff was saying something about him being a loyal Steeler so deserved to be put on the field. Next thing you know we cut Farrior. Bizarro World.

lloydwoodson
01-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Foote, who spent the past seven years with the Pittsburgh Steelers, said Tuesday that he asked for a trade from the team he helped lead to a pair of Super Bowls since 2005. ESPN

I don't think Foote is overly deserving of loyalty from fans when he chose to leave the Steelers to have a bigger role / more money with the Lions. I can understand him wanting to start but nevertheless he left the team not the other way around.

Foote did miss some tackles but he is a smart veteran. The 17th ranked pass rush was more of a problem than the 2nd ranked run defense- if the Steelers can grab their stud ROLB of the future it would be tough to pass up just as it would be tough to pass up Te'o who would make the defensive adjustments at the line for the future.

More talent will be available at ILB than OLB in the second round. I would think this is a fairly tough decision. Lloyd>Gildon>Porter>Harrison>Worilds? A lot of people are worried about how the defense would fare.

SteelersCanada
01-09-2013, 12:57 AM
Jordan, Mingo, Okafor and Montgomery are all better than Worilds by a considerable margin. Any of those guys would be a huge upgrade over Worilds and might start instantly on this defense.

Hawaii 5-0
01-09-2013, 01:30 AM
Jordan, Mingo, Okafor and Montgomery are all better than Worilds by a considerable margin. Any of those guys would be a huge upgrade over Worilds and might start instantly on this defense.

scratch Montgomery off that list, his HC at LSU Les Miles was quoted that Montgomery doesn't have the necessary work ethic.

lloydwoodson
01-09-2013, 01:47 AM

I respectfully disagree. :wave:

While I agree that especially Mingo and even Jordan :sofunny: would be upgrades over Worilds- Montgomery and Okafor are large DE types who would be better suited to LOLB in the Steelers system.

I am extremely surprised that LSU played their speed rusher on the LE where he would get double teamed by the TE / LT often at the point of attack, and their bull rusher at RE where him being 1 on 1 with the T was nearly as beneficial since he tried basically to collapse the pocket anyways. LSU did it backwards from the majority of other teams.

lloydwoodson
01-09-2013, 01:53 AM
I think I read that Magnus Hunt is looking to run in the 4.6s and put up over 40 reps

He's like 6'7 270

So you're saying the Raiders are drafting Hunt instead? Awesome! One less team who won't take Mingo / Te'o / Banks. :wink02:

casteeler
01-09-2013, 05:05 PM
The Steelers can just draft 7 LBs and everyone will be happy.....until September rolls around and the Steelers have no RB,no TE and no backup for Ben:doh:

SteelersCanada
01-09-2013, 05:16 PM
No one is saying draft 7 LBs, but we do have to address our need for a legitimate pass rusher and an ILB to play with Timmons. That's two Linebackers, man. One in the first round and one in the third / fourth.

wwhickok
01-09-2013, 05:24 PM
I actually think we need to come away with 3 LBs in case Worilds and or Sylvester don't work out and a pass rusher is an absolute must

Rotorhead
01-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Dont forget we have a recovering ILB that looks great in the preseason in Spence, so i would be happy with OLB in the first, RB/Safety in the second/third then QB after

casteeler
01-09-2013, 06:04 PM
No one is saying draft 7 LBs, but we do have to address our need for a legitimate pass rusher and an ILB to play with Timmons. That's two Linebackers, man. One in the first round and one in the third / fourth.

I love the idea of a pass rush improvement but the fact is our RB group doesn't cut it and Heath Miller will be out Atleast half the season. The need to improve the offense far outweighs the need to improve the #1 ranked defense(if you believe the stats), this team will rank dead last in scoring next year if big changes aren't made offensively because the offensive line CANNOT run block couple that with the 3 blind mice the Steelers have employed as running backs and the Steelers become a 1 trick pony.Everyone though the Steelers couldn't get into the end one before,guess what will happen with the absence of Miller

teegre
01-09-2013, 06:53 PM
The Steelers can just draft 7 LBs and everyone will be happy.....until September rolls around and the Steelers have no RB,no TE and no backup for Ben:doh:

That would be awesome!!!

I am obviously being "tongue in cheek", but I do recall that for their red-zone defense, there was a package that the Taperiots used that had nine linebackers on the field.

I hear your concerns, but there are a few things to consider.

1. When the O-line was healthy, those scrub RBs ran at will on the NYGiants.

2. When BB was healthy, the Steelers were scoring well enough. Obviously, we all want betetr, but remember: a completed pass to Heath Miller, on third down, at the end of both the Tennessee & the Oaklnd games ices those games (making the Steelers 8-1).

3. There is no R1 RB. But, there is a bevy of R2-R4 RBs... but... are they any betetr than Dwyer & Redman??? I'm not sure...

4. The pass rush was horrible. I rememebr the days of Greg Lloyd on third down... you KNEW it was going to be a sack or a strip-sack or a forced bad throw (that either ended the drive or caused a turnover). I want those days back.

5. This draft is rife with defensive talent.

6. The current roster has good offensive talent that either was injured (QB, OL) or underperformed (WRs).

7. I agree: the injury to Heath might force a TE pick early in this draft. I was thinking that maybe Ertz might slip to 47ish. But, with that said, I would still rather go for a safety in that round.

casteeler
01-09-2013, 07:57 PM
That would be awesome!!!

I am obviously being "tongue in cheek", but I do recall that for their red-zone defense, there was a package that the Taperiots used that had nine linebackers on the field.

I hear your concerns, but there are a few things to consider.

1. When the O-line was healthy, those scrub RBs ran at will on the NYGiants.

2. When BB was healthy, the Steelers were scoring well enough. Obviously, we all want betetr, but remember: a completed pass to Heath Miller, on third down, at the end of both the Tennessee & the Oaklnd games ices those games (making the Steelers 8-1).

3. There is no R1 RB. But, there is a bevy of R2-R4 RBs... but... are they any betetr than Dwyer & Redman??? I'm not sure...

4. The pass rush was horrible. I rememebr the days of Greg Lloyd on third down... you KNEW it was going to be a sack or a strip-sack or a forced bad throw (that either ended the drive or caused a turnover). I want those days back.

5. This draft is rife with defensive talent.

6. The current roster has good offensive talent that either was injured (QB, OL) or underperformed (WRs).

7. I agree: the injury to Heath might force a TE pick early in this draft. I was thinking that maybe Ertz might slip to 47ish. But, with that said, I would still rather go for a safety in that round.

The Steelers ranked 22nd in scoring behind the mighty Buffalo Bills. Heath was the best offensive weapon the Steelers had and with the current dink and dunk offensive scheme Wallace,Brown and Sanders were getting hammered over the middle and coughing it up regularly. Bama back Lacy looks worthy for spending a #1 on because his size and power,seems like a better pick at #1 over a LB. As for the Offensive line,they stunk at the beginning of the season and the stunk at the end.The Giants game does't change my mind on an offensive line that has gotten better but still isn't any good run blocking.Lets not forget failing on 2nd and 3rd down vs the Browns to gain 3 feet running it.

P

PhantomJB93
01-09-2013, 08:12 PM
I'm not big on the pick a TE early thing. Wouldn't mind one after the third round but if Heath doesn't injure himself we aren't even considering one before round 5. I'd rather draft one in the mid-rounds just in case but Heath won't miss the whole season. We need a new RB for 16 games, we need a TE for probably 3 or 4. I'd trust Pope and Paulson for a few games if I had to.

teegre
01-09-2013, 09:07 PM
The Steelers ranked 22nd in scoring behind the mighty Buffalo Bills. Heath was the best offensive weapon the Steelers had and with the current dink and dunk offensive scheme Wallace,Brown and Sanders were getting hammered over the middle and coughing it up regularly. Bama back Lacy looks worthy for spending a #1 on because his size and power,seems like a better pick at #1 over a LB. As for the Offensive line,they stunk at the beginning of the season and the stunk at the end.The Giants game does't change my mind on an offensive line that has gotten better but still isn't any good run blocking.Lets not forget failing on 2nd and 3rd down vs the Browns to gain 3 feet running it.

P

I hear your concerns, but I think that BB's injury had a lot to do with the poor season. He was rolling... and then came the injury. And then, he played hurt. Before the injury, the offense was ranked 18th & improving... and then... an injury & a total collapse.

While 18th isn't great, it was indeed moving upwards in rankings. If BB had not gotten injured, the rise would have put the Steelers at about 15th... which isn't great, but isn't horrible.

A couple of losses came due to no pass-rush, and in turn, late-game FGs. An OLB would help greatly I'm that regard.

Regardless...

Even if one wanted to take an offensive player in R1, there isn't a player worthy of #17. It would make much more sense to get Lacy (or whomever) in R2**. Make sense?

**(or even Lacy in R3, and Ertz or Woods in R2).

casteeler
01-09-2013, 09:22 PM
:mad:I hear your concerns, but I think that BB's injury had a lot to do with the poor season. He was rolling... and then came the injury. And then, he played hurt. Before the injury, the offense was ranked 18th & improving... and then... an injury & a total collapse.

While 18th isn't great, it was indeed moving upwards in rankings. If BB had not gotten injured, the rise would have put the Steelers at about 15th... which isn't great, but isn't horrible.

A couple of losses came due to no pass-rush, and in turn, late-game FGs. An OLB would help greatly I'm that regard.

Regardless...

Even if one wanted to take an offensive player in R1, there isn't a player worthy of #17. It would make much more sense to get Lacy (or whomever) in R2**. Make sense?

If Lacy is still around in the 2nd then great,Bens injury was a big factor but fumbles was as well. The Steelers have a couple LBs (Spence and Carter) that I would like to see before dropping a #1 on another. I can see getting a SS (Elam) if he's worth the pick.Its comforting to know that with the exception of a couple of years the Steelers spend their 1st wisely!

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-09-2013, 09:32 PM
I hear your concerns, but I think that BB's injury had a lot to do with the poor season. He was rolling... and then came the injury. And then, he played hurt. Before the injury, the offense was ranked 18th & improving... and then... an injury & a total collapse.

Regardless...

I think lacy stock will be rising over the next couple months leading up to the draft. If he runs a sub 4.5 he will most likely be the first rb selected. I really do like this kid. Even though he ran behide the best oline in college I really think he will be a bruising back with more speed than Dwyer and redman.

I'm on board with trading back round one select bpa and use he extra picks via the trade back to get lacy. The argument to not selecting lacy is that no matter his potential our online wont open the holes for him. But before colon and Adams went down our running game was pretty good even without decastro with backups Dwyer and redman.

teegre
01-09-2013, 10:33 PM
:mad:

If Lacy is still around in the 2nd then great,Bens injury was a big factor but fumbles was as well. The Steelers have a couple LBs (Spence and Carter) that I would like to see before dropping a #1 on another. I can see getting a SS (Elam) if he's worth the pick.Its comforting to know that with the exception of a couple of years the Steelers spend their 1st wisely!

I can agree with that (see above: bolded portion).

I hear you about Spence (if he's the guy, they maybe an ILB is not needed, except for back-up... like R5). But, Carter has either been injured or not very effective... much like Worilds. I'd prefer that an OLB is taken, and taken early.

teegre
01-09-2013, 10:42 PM
I think lacy stock will be rising over the next couple months leading up to the draft. If he runs a sub 4.5 he will most likely be the first rb selected. I really do like this kid. Even though he ran behide the best oline in college I really think he will be a bruising back with more speed than Dwyer and redman.

I'm on board with trading back round one select bpa and use he extra picks via the trade back to get lacy. The argument to not selecting lacy is that no matter his potential our online wont open the holes for him. But before colon and Adams went down our running game was pretty good even without decastro with backups Dwyer and redman.

1. I see Lacy moving up, but not to #17. To the end of R1, yes, but 17 is far too early.

2. I agree 100%: the O-line looked good, until the injuries.

3. Trading back makes a lot of sense... but... not for a RB. To clarify, I am talking about RB, because that was the discussion... but, I prefer an OLB (or, trading back a little bit, and taking Elam).

5. I like the way that Knile Davis (Arkansas) plays. I'd take him in R4. Better yet, I'd take Marcus Lattimore in R4, and shelve him for the first six weeks... and then, hope that his knee is 100%. If he recovers (a la AP), he could have 2500 yards!!! :wink02:

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-09-2013, 11:08 PM
1. I see Lacy moving up, but not to #17. To the end of R1, yes, but 17 is far too early.

2. I agree 100%: the O-line looked good, until the injuries.

3. Trading back makes a lot of sense... but... not for a RB. To clarify, I am talking about RB, because that was the discussion... but, I prefer an OLB (or, trading back a little bit, and taking Elam).

5. I like the way that Knile Davis (Arkansas) plays. I'd take him in R4. Better yet, I'd take Marcus Lattimore in R4, and shelve him for the first six weeks... and then, hope that his knee is 100%. If he recovers (a la AP), he could have 2500 yards!!! :wink02:

I'm not saying use a first on a rb. What i said was select bpa(best player available) in the first and use the extra picks we acquire from moving back to select lacy in the second

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-09-2013, 11:11 PM
I can agree with that (see above: bolded portion).

I hear you about Spence (if he's the guy, they maybe an ILB is not needed, except for back-up... like R5). But, Carter has either been injured or not very effective... much like Worilds. I'd prefer that an OLB is taken, and taken early.

Worlds was our leading our team in sacks till the last game and that was in a limited roll and coming off a wrist injury. This will be the year to see if he I our next starting olb or a nfl backup. I wouldn't count him out just yet.

SteelersCanada
01-09-2013, 11:37 PM
There's no RBs worth a first round pick in this draft, guys. There just isn't. Eddie Lacy is running behind an All-Pro offensive line and, granted, he's running against SEC competition which makes his accomplishments and yards all the more impressive, but he's still not a first round pick worthy RB. His teammate, however, is (when he's eligible).

Giovani Bernard in the second round, then Da'Rick Rogers in the third makes the most sense for us. If Bernard or Lacy are on the board in the second round it's a no-brainer.

kan_t
01-10-2013, 01:06 AM
I don't get the love of Eddie Lacy . He's good but not 1st or 2nd round talent IMO. That OL can make lots of RBs look better than they are.

PhantomJB93
01-10-2013, 01:39 AM
I don't get the love of Eddie Lacy . He's good but not 1st or 2nd round talent IMO. That OL can make lots of RBs look better than they are.

He's definitely not a 1st round talent, I'd say he's late 2nd round but he'll go early second because he's still the best RB in this class. RBs are a crapshoot this year but Lacy is the closest thing to a complete package of size, speed, and agility out of all of them. He'd be better than anyone currently on our roster unless Mendenhall suddenly harnessed his potential.

StevieRayVol
01-10-2013, 11:50 PM
There's no RBs worth a first round pick in this draft, guys. There just isn't. Eddie Lacy is running behind an All-Pro offensive line and, granted, he's running against SEC competition which makes his accomplishments and yards all the more impressive, but he's still not a first round pick worthy RB. His teammate, however, is (when he's eligible).

Giovani Bernard in the second round, then Da'Rick Rogers in the third makes the most sense for us. If Bernard or Lacy are on the board in the second round it's a no-brainer.

As someone who watched Da"Rick Rogers since his freshman year at UT..."WE DON'T WANT HIM ON THE STEELERS"....Million dollar talent and 10 cent brain..:wave: He loves Weed and was a pain in the butt so much long time coach Charlie Baggett packed it up and went back to Michigan State...Rogers is a head case...He was set for an AA year and flunked a drug test and then Coach Derek Dooley was going to suspend him for 4 games...Rogers blew up on Dooley and asst. coach Darin Hinshaw and ended his career across the state at Tennessee Tech who plays in the OVC conference..."DO NOT WANT". Now if Cordarrlle Patterson is available grab him...UNREAL ATHLETE who can score every time he touches the ball...I'd take Lacy in the second round..If Chance Warmack is available in the 1st grab him...Him DD and Pouncey would make quite the trio on the inside...

wwhickok
01-11-2013, 06:15 AM
I really like Desmond Trufant(Marcus Trufants brother) though I hav only seen a small amount of film on him. Thoughts anyone?

Edit: I like him in general, not as the 17the overall pick.

teegre
01-11-2013, 07:53 PM
I really like Desmond Trufant(Marcus Trufants brother) though I hav only seen a small amount of film on him. Thoughts anyone?

Edit: I like him in general, not as the 17the overall pick.

I watch a lot of Pac-12, and he is pretty good. Not as good as his borther, but a good R3-R4 type of "Deshea Townsend" type of player.

For a R3-R4 CB, I like Leon McFadden better... but... that could be personal bias.

Regardless, both played on crappy teams... and could drop. BUT, both could rise, once people see tape of them (espeically McFadden who is simply a great player on a horrible team, in a small conference).

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2013, 10:45 PM

Thank you. He probably lasts until mid 3rd unless somebody is desperate.

SteelersCanada
01-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Dion Jordan in the first round. He'll fall because of his shoulder surgery and at that point, it's a no-brainer. 6'6, fast and explosive off the line. Working opposite a (hopefully) in shape and healthy Woodley would fix our pass rush.

R1. Dion Jordan
R2. Robert Woods
R3. Nico Johnson
R4. Robert Lester

Until the Senior Bowl and probably after that, that's my mock for the first four rounds. I very much doubt that changes.

Hawaii 5-0
01-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Dion Jordan in the first round. He'll fall because of his shoulder surgery and at that point, it's a no-brainer. 6'6, fast and explosive off the line. Working opposite a (hopefully) in shape and healthy Woodley would fix our pass rush.

R1. Dion Jordan
R2. Robert Woods
R3. Nico Johnson
R4. Robert Lester

Until the Senior Bowl and probably after that, that's my mock for the first four rounds. I very much doubt that changes.

I like it, a very solid first 4 rounds...:thumbsup:

teegre
01-11-2013, 11:41 PM

R1. Dion Jordan
R2. Robert Woods
R3. Nico Johnson
R4. Robert Lester

As long as I can swap out Woods for Elam, I will take that draft in a heartbeat.

I like Jordan (or Mingo). Nothing against Woods, but Elam's my guy. I've liked Nico Johnson (mocked him in R4 since Sept), but he'll likely go R3 (where I have skov). And, Lester was a R1 pick, until the year... when he seemed to miss a beat; match him & up with Elam, and they can develop together.

Hawaii 5-0
01-11-2013, 11:43 PM
As long as I can swap out Woods for Elam, I will take that draft in a heartbeat.

I like Jordan (or Mingo). Nothing against Woods, but Elam's my guy. I've liked Nico Johnson (mocked him in R4 since Sept), but he'll likely go R3 (where I have skov). And, Lester was a R1 pick, until the year... when he seemed to miss a beat; match him & up with Elam, and they can develop together.

I really like Matt Elam too, but he'll never make it to our pick in the 2nd round.

teegre
01-11-2013, 11:46 PM
I really like Matt Elam too, but he'll never make it to our pick in the 2nd round.

Hey man, stop being all logical & realistic. :wink02:

I am for trading away a pick (or two) to move up to 28-32ish, to acquire Elam. OR Trading back from 17 to 28-32ish (and acquiring a few extra picks), to get Elam.

Like Charlie Kaufman might say, "Elam... Elam, Elam... Elam."

StevieRayVol
01-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Thank you. He probably lasts until mid 3rd unless somebody is desperate.

Eddie Lacy was a stud duck running back down in Louisiana....Trouble is he didn't have the grades so LSU, USC, Tennessee and a bunch of other schools passed on him...Nick Saban got him to commit and he "MAGICALLY PASSED" 7 classes in 6 weeks..:noidea: He was playing behind Trent Richardson last year but was injured a lot.. He's worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick...:tt04:

Hawaii 5-0
01-12-2013, 12:34 AM
Eddie Lacy was a stud duck running back down in Louisiana....Trouble is he didn't have the grades so LSU, USC, Tennessee and a bunch of other schools passed on him...Nick Saban got him to commit and he "MAGICALLY PASSED" 7 classes in 6 weeks..:noidea: He was playing behind Trent Richardson last year but was injured a lot.. He's worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick...:tt04:

2(48) Pittsburgh Steelers: Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama

The Steelers could use a bell-cow running back for their offense; Lacy is a perfect fit.

Lacy is in the mold of recent Alabama running backs. Under head coach Nick Saban, they've been led by ball-carriers who have a combination of size, quickness and power. Lacy (6-0, 220) is more like Mark Ingram rather than Trent Richardson. However, Lacy has more elusiveness than Ingram as Lacy has a nice spin move that he uses often to breakaway from defenders.

Following his dominant performance versus Notre Dame in National Championship Game (20-140), Lacy's 2012 totals reached 1,322 yards (6.5 average) and 17 touchdowns on only 204 carries. He was the power runner for Alabama, but lost carries to standout freshman T.J. Yeldon. Lacy caught 22 passes for 189 yards and two touchdowns, too. He had a massive performance against Georgia (20-181) in the SEC Championship.

Lacy was the backup in 2011 to star back Richardson. However, when the sophomore received carries, he made the most of them running for 631 yards on 84 carries with seven touchdowns.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013charlie_2.php

MeanGee2047
01-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Does anyone have an idea what the Steelers would be compensated for if they let Mendenhal & Wallace go? Would they be compensated with picks in this year's draft or in 2014?

lloydwoodson
01-12-2013, 02:52 AM
Does anyone have an idea what the Steelers would be compensated for if they let Mendenhal & Wallace go? Would they be compensated with picks in this year's draft or in 2014?

Neither player is under contract so no compensation picks.

teegre
01-12-2013, 05:26 AM

If a team loses a player to free agency in one year (2013), they then receive a compensatory pick the following draft (2014).

If they both leave, I'd expect a R3 for Wallace and a R5 for Spinny.

teegre
01-12-2013, 05:34 AM
2(48) Pittsburgh Steelers: Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama

The Steelers could use a bell-cow running back for their offense; Lacy is a perfect fit.

Lacy is in the mold of recent Alabama running backs. Under head coach Nick Saban, they've been led by ball-carriers who have a combination of size, quickness and power. Lacy (6-0, 220) is more like Mark Ingram rather than Trent Richardson. However, Lacy has more elusiveness than Ingram as Lacy has a nice spin move that he uses often to breakaway from defenders.

Following his dominant performance versus Notre Dame in National Championship Game (20-140), Lacy's 2012 totals reached 1,322 yards (6.5 average) and 17 touchdowns on only 204 carries. He was the power runner for Alabama, but lost carries to standout freshman T.J. Yeldon. Lacy caught 22 passes for 189 yards and two touchdowns, too. He had a massive performance against Georgia (20-181) in the SEC Championship.

Lacy was the backup in 2011 to star back Richardson. However, when the sophomore received carries, he made the most of them running for 631 yards on 84 carries with seven touchdowns.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013charlie_2.php

Plus, Kenny Vaccaro in R1. Interesting.

Of course, Waltersfootball changes their mock daily... and cycles through about fifteen possible players per round (e.g. yesterday, it listed Dion Jordan as the R1 pick).

MeanGee2047
01-12-2013, 09:27 PM
If a team loses a player to free agency in one year (2013), they then receive a compensatory pick the following draft (2014).

If they both leave, I'd expect a R3 for Wallace and a R5 for Spinny.

Tell me...why do you think we would get a better pick for Wallace than Mendenhall? He was a 1st rounder....just curious on your thought....I was thinking we would get a 3rd & a 4th for them...:coffee:

teegre
01-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Tell me...why do you think we would get a better pick for Wallace than Mendenhall? He was a 1st rounder....just curious on your thought....I was thinking we would get a 3rd & a 4th for them...:coffee:

Wallace is a top tier player at his position. His position has a longer shelf-life than a RB (10 years versus an average of 2.1 years). Spinny will be an "old" RB; whereas, Wallace will be in his prime. And, Spinny has been injured.

cbrunn
01-12-2013, 10:16 PM
I don't think Comps matter where the player was selected ...

I think it's based on playing time for the current team , and salary and playing time for the new team

DanRooney
01-12-2013, 11:00 PM
You guys have gone senile if you think Te'o is getting past 20.

SteelersCanada
01-12-2013, 11:25 PM
There's too many playmaking WRs in this draft for us not to take one. I have us taking Robert Woods in the second round, but only because I think Cordarrelle Patterson and Tavon Austin are off the board. Adding Woods to our receiving corp would make it young and explosive and put a quality receiver opposite Brown that has sure hands and can run crisp routes.

Moving on to defense, with what Art Rooney said I very much doubt this team goes anywhere else in the first round other than a legitimate pass rusher. I also feel like Butler, Tomlin and LeBeau are going to have to have a chat with Woodley and ask him what the fuck happened this year. If Butler said his injuries have been preventable, then we need to find out what happened and fix it. Now. We can't afford to pay an OLB 60 million for him to be ineffective.

Again, that's why I have Jordan and Woods as our first two picks.

teegre
01-12-2013, 11:32 PM
There's too many playmaking WRs in this draft for us not to take one. I have us taking Robert Woods in the second round, but only because I think Cordarrelle Patterson and Tavon Austin are off the board. Adding Woods to our receiving corp would make it young and explosive and put a quality receiver opposite Brown that has sure hands and can run crisp routes.

Moving on to defense, with what Art Rooney said I very much doubt this team goes anywhere else in the first round other than a legitimate pass rusher. I also feel like Butler, Tomlin and LeBeau are going to have to have a chat with Woodley and ask him what the fuck happened this year. If Butler said his injuries have been preventable, then we need to find out what happened and fix it. Now. We can't afford to pay an OLB 60 million for him to be ineffective.

Again, that's why I have Jordan and Woods as our first two picks.

Nice post.

btw: I love Tavon Austin.

Not that he should be the pick at 17... but, you mentioned him, and I wanted to state my adoration.

Anyway, I agree OLB seems to be the pick... but, I'd also like a safety. I could see a WR taken in the later rounds, but, then again, BB has been asking for a big WR... which Woods is.

Still, I see it going OLB & S (or, S & OLB).

SteelersCanada
01-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Nice post.

btw: I love Tavon Austin.

Not that he should be the pick at 17... but, you mentioned him, and I wanted to state my adoration.

Anyway, I agree OLB seems to be the pick... but, I'd also like a safety. I could see a WR taken in the later rounds, but, then again, BB has been asking for a big WR... which Woods is.

Still, I see it going OLB & S (or, S & OLB).

If Tavon Austin was a couple inches taller, I wouldn't mind him being the 17th pick. Sadly, he's 5'9 and we already have shorter receivers. That being said, I think if Woods is off the board, we should turn to Keenan Allen. He's 6'3 and would again, be the receiver Ben is asking for.

I would only want Safety if we traded back to the 25ish area and picked up Elam, but I don't think that's going to happen.

MeanGee2047
01-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Wallace is a top tier player at his position. His position has a longer shelf-life than a RB (10 years versus an average of 2.1 years). Spinny will be an "old" RB; whereas, Wallace will be in his prime. And, Spinny has been injured.

Thanks...I was curious about that!

StevieRayVol
01-13-2013, 01:14 AM
If Patterson is gone and Justin Hunter is there...Grab him..6-4 and 200 and was going to compete in the 2012 Olympics before he hurt his knee against Florida in 2011..( He landed wrong after catching a pass, No hit or nobody falling on the leg) . He wasn't up to form of 2011 this year and dropped a lot of passes. Mainly because I think he knew he was headed for the NFL ( he as a kid) and he didn't want to get hurt..But he did come within 2 catches of setting a UT single season record...Pretty good company when you think that Stanley Morgan, Wille Gault, Alvin Harper, Carl Pickens, Donte Stallworth, Jason Witten all played at UT... He will blow everyone away at the combine was National ranked high jumper and sprint champ...

Patterson while not knowing the playbook scored every way possible for UT..Receiving, Rushing, Punt, Kickoff, Broke a UT single season record that stood for 25 years...One of the best players I've ever seen when he touches the football...Beat David Amerson like a rented mule in the opening game... 6'3''and 205...Can, stop and start and change directions like a scatback...NEVER, EVER saw anyone get a solid lick on him...Dynamic open field runner is putting it mildly.

Hawaii 5-0
01-13-2013, 01:24 AM
2013 NFL Mock Draft 1.0 (Divisional Playoff Week Edition)

Jan 12th, 2013 by Dominic Di TollaSteelers

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Matt Elam SS (Florida)

As I have stated on numerous occasions, the Steelers must find a way to plan for the future at both Safety positions this offseason. One player in particular I can see them targeting with the 17th overall pick is Matt Elam of Florida. Like I pointed out in a post from a month ago, Elam has the tools and skill-set to be a nice replacement for Troy Polamalu once he hangs up his cleats.

Elam is a big-hitter who is not only speedy, but can line up in a number of different areas on the Defensive side of the ball. The Strong Safety (5’10″ 202 lbs.) improved off of his solid Sophomore season (78 Tackles, 11.0 TFL’s, 2.0 Sacks, 2 INT’s), and racked up 76 Tackles, 11.0 TFL’s, 2.0 Sacks, 1 Forced Fumble, and 4 Interceptions as Elam helped lead the Gators’ Defense to a Sugar Bowl berth. A year or two stint behind Polamalu and under the tutelage of Defensive Backs Coach Carnell Lake could serve Elam well, and also give him time to develop into a quality Safety.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/01/12/2013-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-divisional-playoff-week-edition/2/

StevieRayVol
01-13-2013, 02:15 AM

As I have stated on numerous occasions, the Steelers must find a way to plan for the future at both Safety positions this offseason. One player in particular I can see them targeting with the 17th overall pick is Matt Elam of Florida. Like I pointed out in a post from a month ago, Elam has the tools and skill-set to be a nice replacement for Troy Polamalu once he hangs up his cleats.

Elam is a big-hitter who is not only speedy, but can line up in a number of different areas on the Defensive side of the ball. The Strong Safety (5’10″ 202 lbs.) improved off of his solid Sophomore season (78 Tackles, 11.0 TFL’s, 2.0 Sacks, 2 INT’s), and racked up 76 Tackles, 11.0 TFL’s, 2.0 Sacks, 1 Forced Fumble, and 4 Interceptions as Elam helped lead the Gators’ Defense to a Sugar Bowl berth. A year or two stint behind Polamalu and under the tutelage of Defensive Backs Coach Carnell Lake could serve Elam well, and also give him time to develop into a quality Safety.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/01/12/2013-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-divisional-playoff-week-edition/2/

If we could pick up Elam and Rambo that would be quite the safety haul... Eddie Lacy and Nico Johnson with a WR would also be nice later on..:tt04:

teegre
01-13-2013, 03:06 AM

Elam

I was thinking that trading down and THEN drafting him at 25ish (plus, acquiring an extra pick) was the way to go... BUT... I am thinking more & more that he will go around 20ish. Thus, if the Steelers are going to take him, it might have to be at 17... which, I am not at all against.

He's been my favorite player for a year... and, admittedly, I am biased when I say to take him at 17.

IMO: he is a slightly lesser version of Polamalu and/or slightly better than Eric Weddle.

lloydwoodson
01-13-2013, 05:13 AM
I think Elam goes to the Broncos now that they lost their season on one boneheaded play from Rahim Moore.

Rick5895
01-13-2013, 05:33 AM
Elam would be a great addition. but I wonder if we can get him lower than 17. Trae down, maybe draft him and package extra picks to move and take Lacey

Rick5895
01-13-2013, 05:38 AM
I think Elam goes to the Broncos now that they lost their season on one boneheaded play from Rahim Moore.
Denver may want him but since they are drafting mid to late 20's he may not be there. I like Elam, also like Ogeltree from Georgia. No mater who we pick I think we get a very god player to help, hopefully immediately. I see lots of vets purged this off season because of cap issues.

Steeler7BR
01-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Would love Elam here in Pittsburgh. Think he really would be a great addition and just like Hawaii said under the wing of Troy and Carnell the next one or two seasons I really believe we have a stud there.

Do you really think they select their future by one play? I don't know how he played the whole season and if it was a weak point of them anyway. But on one play? No way.

If we could pick up Elam and Rambo that would be quite the safety haul...

Couldn't agree more. Would be great having those to in the secondary for a long time.

cbrunn
01-13-2013, 09:41 AM
I love the way Elam plays ... but what I see is Ryan Clark... and the NFL ruining the way he plays with all these penalties ... plus he's smaller , not sure I'd want him

and I love Rambo my favorite safety in the draft ... but do you really think the Steelers will draft another questionable player?? ... I think all he did was fail a drug test , but still I don't think they take any chances on anybody that has a "bad character" this year

Steeler7BR
01-13-2013, 10:51 AM
I love the way Elam plays ... but what I see is Ryan Clark... and the NFL ruining the way he plays with all these penalties ... plus he's smaller , not sure I'd want him

and I love Rambo my favorite safety in the draft ... but do you really think the Steelers will draft another questionable player?? ... I think all he did was fail a drug test , but still I don't think they take any chances on anybody that has a "bad character" this year

Just wanna ask isn't a failed drug test more on a team then the player? I mean he probably gets the prescription from the team doctors I would imagine.

cbrunn
01-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Just wanna ask isn't a failed drug test more on a team then the player? I mean he probably gets the prescription from the team doctors I would imagine.

Failed it for Weed ... my mistake I probably should have said that...

I think the story goes some where along the lines of, he was in Cancun or some vacation or spring break , and ate some brownies that he didn't know had Weed in them

What do we expect college kids to do on Spring break?? ... lol I mean I would give him the benefit of the doubt , but with what just happened with Rainey do you think the Steelers would?

teegre
01-13-2013, 11:31 AM

I think the story goes some where along the lines of, he was in Cancun or some vacation or spring break , and ate some brownies that he didn't know had Weed in them

What do we expect college kids to do on Spring break?? ... lol I mean I would give him the benefit of the doubt , but with what just happened with Rainey do you think the Steelers would?

With what just transpired with Rainey & Ta'amu, Ogletree and Rambo are both likely OFF of Pittsburgh's draft board.

RE: Denver
Exactly why I am an advocate of him going at 17: a ton of teams right after the Steelers will want him.

Re: Ryan Clark, part II
Yes, he lays the wood... which I love. But, he is young enough that he can be taught to hit the ribs (not the head). Regardless, like Clark & Pollard, an intimidator is STILL an important part of a secondary.

cbrunn
01-13-2013, 12:52 PM
I think this definitely puts Warmack in play if he's their at 17

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers offensive line will change dramatically for 2013.
Three regular starters likely won't return and all three players who took turns starting at right tackle should start at separate positions.
There is a caveat to all of this, of course: Provided they all stay healthy.
Look for Max Starks and Ramon Foster to leave in free agency and Willie Colon to be released. Colon's knee injury that placed him on injured reserve for the third season in a row was the last straw. The Steelers want to move on, and they believe they have the right man to replace him.
They drafted Kelvin Beachum -- their fourth and final pick in the seventh round last year -- to play guard, even though he started at tackle for all 52 games of his four years at SMU. When Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams were shelved by injuries after starting at right tackle, the Steelers turned to Beachum. He started the final five games and did a nice job. It helped to convince them he can start at guard.
They will turn right tackle over to Adams. Gilbert will start at left tackle. There was a time many assumed Adams would play left tackle, but he is a more natural right tackle, a better run blocker, and Gilbert's more natural position is left tackle.
David DeCastro will take over at right guard as he did at the end of the season when he became healthy. And, of course, there is three-time Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey.
Their backups are to be determined because at the moment only John Malecki is under contract from their season-ending roster.
That, ladies and gents, is your 2013 Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line. Check back for medical updates.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2HsVrsG3G

Steeler7BR
01-13-2013, 01:11 PM

I don't know what the FO of the steelers think of that and how they judge drafting on the mess with Rainey now. But common like you said spring break I don't mind it.

And I don't think this puts him in a non-draftable position for the steelers so I don't think it goes down to the character question.

StevieRayVol
01-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Alec Ogletree the linebacker from Georgia is a stud..He had one helluva game against Tennessee. Future Top 5 pick OT Antonio "Tiny' Richardson held Jarvis jones in check. Ogletree is a former safety who weights about 235 now and plays linebacker. Had his share of off the field issues though..

Another player who might me here in the second round if we don't take an offensive lineman is Tennessee O-lineman Dallas Thomas..Played LT for three years then moved inside to play LG is 6-5 and 305, has quick feet and can play any position on the line except center...Some mocks have him going in the first round though.::tt04:

teegre
01-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Re: Warmack

Not that I think that the Steelers go O-line and/or go RB this early... but, since most of the following players have been discussed on here (mostly Warmack & Lacy)...

The "All-Alabama" Draft

R1: Chance Warmack, LG
R2: Eddie Lacy, RB
R3: Nico Johnson, LB
R4: Robert Lester, S
R5: Michael Williams, TE

Other R1/R2 players to consider:
Barrett Jones, LG/LT/OC
Jesse Williams, NT
DJ Fluker, RT

Believe43
01-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Tavon Austin - Sure his is only 5'9" but he can play Receiver- Running Back- Return Kicks

The Offense needs a play maker like him - With Chris Rainey gone and the fact he won't be there in the 2nd Round may be worth the grab in the first.

Steeler7BR
01-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Tavon Austin - Sure his is only 5'9" but he can play Receiver- Running Back- Return Kicks

The Offense needs a play maker like him - With Chris Rainey gone and the fact he won't be there in the 2nd Round may be worth the grab in the first.

You're kidding right?!?! Yeah exactly we need another small and ellusive Wide Out. We have a good Return Man in Antonio and we can and hopefully will draft a new Running Back. Tavon Austin would be the first pick we could possibly can take in our situation.

Not saying he will be a bad player but WE shouldn't take him.

teegre
01-15-2013, 01:52 PM

I love Tavon Austin (LOVE him).

But, with that said, he should not be the pick at 17... and not even in R1. There are so many other needs.

Hawaii 5-0
01-16-2013, 01:06 AM

Steelers’ Ike Taylor says Tavon Austin is a “special player”

January 15, 2013 by Paul Jackiewicz

According to Daniel Dudley of Trib Live Radio, while training with West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin, Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor says he’s a special player.

“Who ever gets that guy, is getting a special player,” said Taylor, Per Dudley.

As of right now I believe Austin is projected by most “experts” to be a second round pick in April’s NFL draft. He’s an explosive player that has some first round value in my opinion.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_ike_taylor_says_tavon_austin_is_a_special _player/12670354

teegre
01-16-2013, 02:12 AM
Steelers’ Ike Taylor says Tavon Austin is a “special player”

January 15, 2013 by Paul Jackiewicz

According to Daniel Dudley of Trib Live Radio, while training with West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin, Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor says he’s a special player.

“Who ever gets that guy, is getting a special player,” said Taylor, Per Dudley.

As of right now I believe Austin is projected by most “experts” to be a second round pick in April’s NFL draft. He’s an explosive player that has some first round value in my opinion.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_ike_taylor_says_tavon_austin_is_a_special _player/12670354

I know that he's going to go 25-ish. And since the Steelers aren't drafting a WR that early (even if they traded down), I hope that he goes to the Seahawks (to pair with Russell Wilson).

Alas, my biggest fear is that he ends up with the Ravens or the Taperiots.

He's going to make some team very, very happy.

JackH
01-16-2013, 10:20 AM
I know that he's going to go 25-ish. And since the Steelers aren't drafting a WR that early (even if they traded down), I hope that he goes to the Seahawks (to pair with Russell Wilson).

Alas, my biggest fear is that he ends up with the Ravens or the Taperiots.

He's going to make some team very, very happy.

I love Austin too, but I don't see the Steelers taking another small WR early.

Now, on to some other things you said. You want Elam and have mentioned the possibility of moving down in the draft. Maybe both can happen.

I'll be surprised if any safeties are taken before we pick at #17. And I'm not too sure about who the first safety selected will be. It could be Kenny Vaccaro (Texas) or Eric Reid (LSU).

Let me give you a possible scenario for moving down. Chiefs and Jags have the first two picks. I believe both desperately want a QB, but will be reluctant to use those picks on guys like Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, or a few others. No can't miss QB. So the Steelers trade #17 for the Chiefs or Jags 2nd round pick plus another pick say their 3rd round pick.

With such a scenario the Steelers could end up with a top safety, although it might be one of the other guys and not Elam and one of the top tight ends and a high pick in the 3rd round for perhaps a linebacker or running back.

teegre
01-16-2013, 06:27 PM
I love Austin too, but I don't see the Steelers taking another small WR early.

Now, on to some other things you said. You want Elam and have mentioned the possibility of moving down in the draft. Maybe both can happen.

I'll be surprised if any safeties are taken before we pick at #17. And I'm not too sure about who the first safety selected will be. It could be Kenny Vaccaro (Texas) or Eric Reid (LSU).

Let me give you a possible scenario for moving down. Chiefs and Jags have the first two picks. I believe both desperately want a QB, but will be reluctant to use those picks on guys like Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, or a few others. No can't miss QB. So the Steelers trade #17 for the Chiefs or Jags 2nd round pick plus another pick say their 3rd round pick.

With such a scenario the Steelers could end up with a top safety, although it might be one of the other guys and not Elam and one of the top tight ends and a high pick in the 3rd round for perhaps a linebacker or running back.

I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago. Here it is:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95572&page=7&highlight=seventeen

Now... mind you, that was after the Clowney hit. Currently, I am thinking more realistically (less dreamy about getting Clowney). Here is the new & improved version:

With so many teams in the top 10 needing QBs... BUT, with so few quality QBs (not top-ten worthy).... AND with Dallas sitting at the perfect spot/wanting to draft one of these mediocre QBs (which they might do)...

Trade back from 17, with one of those teams in the top 10.

Those QB-needy teams would want to trade up from the top of R2, in order to get in front of Dallas; Pittsburgh could use multiple picks; and, this is a deep draft.

17 traded to JAX for:
the 34th pick
the 64th pick
& next year's R1 pick.

R2... 34 (from Jax) ... Tavon Austin!!!
R2... 47
R3... 64 (from Jax)
R3... 79
R4

The only problem: I would not get Elam or Vaccaro (or Mingo or Jordan). But, with such a deep draft (especially at safety & linebacker) and Colbert wanting to cut dead weight... maybe tradign back is the best option. Then, with one fo those extra picks, maybe Austin slips to the Steelers.

Hawaii 5-0
01-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Mel Kiper's 2013 NFL mock draft sends DE Ezekiel Ansah to Steelers

By seton hall and steelers on Jan 16
USA TODAY Sports

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/6664885/20121222_kkt_ar5_223.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Mel Kiper recently published his first mock draft of the year and he had BYU's massive, athletic Ezekiel Ansah to the Steelers at 17. Ansah has had a great career at BYU but their are concerns over whether or not he is too large to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. At 270 pounds and with more room to add onto his frame, the concerns are valid.

el Kiper is ESPN's draft guru and while he takes a lot of bashing from the public, he is a very good draft analyst and he puts a lot of thought and research into his mock drafts and opinions. He is not afraid to take chances, as seen by him not mocking any quarterbacks in the first round and also having Menelik Watson going in the first round.

While I like what Kiper produces, I do not agree with him mocking Ansah to the Steelers. Ansah is already 270 pounds and with a little weight lifting he will easily grow to 280 pounds. Ansah is in my opinion strictly a 4-3 defensive end despite his great athleticism and talent.

However, I am not totally against the pick because the Steelers have been using a lot of four down linemen sets and Ansah could be used as a situational pass rusher when they play in the nickel.

Overall, I would give the pick a solid B grade that could go either way. I am sure Lebau would love to have an athlete like Ansah in his front seven and he would probably be able to come in and make an impact right away.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/1/16/3883850/mel-kiper-2013-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-ezekiel-ansah

PhantomJB93
01-17-2013, 01:01 AM
Many here may have seen I have been a strong defender of Manti Te'o all season. Even after his abysmal national championship, I wanted the Steelers to draft him more than ever. After the news of tonight, I don't know what to think anymore. If you don't know what I'm talking about, google it, I'm not even going to begin to try to explain, it's too weird.

All I can say is that this video PERFECTLY sums up my current feelings towards the Irish linebacker. Nothing could say it better:

37SrQdIqKiU

teegre
01-17-2013, 01:24 AM
Mel Kiper's 2013 NFL mock draft sends DE Ezekiel Ansah to Steelers

By seton hall and steelers on Jan 16
USA TODAY Sports

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/6664885/20121222_kkt_ar5_223.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Mel Kiper recently published his first mock draft of the year and he had BYU's massive, athletic Ezekiel Ansah to the Steelers at 17. Ansah has had a great career at BYU but their are concerns over whether or not he is too large to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. At 270 pounds and with more room to add onto his frame, the concerns are valid.

el Kiper is ESPN's draft guru and while he takes a lot of bashing from the public, he is a very good draft analyst and he puts a lot of thought and research into his mock drafts and opinions. He is not afraid to take chances, as seen by him not mocking any quarterbacks in the first round and also having Menelik Watson going in the first round.

While I like what Kiper produces, I do not agree with him mocking Ansah to the Steelers. Ansah is already 270 pounds and with a little weight lifting he will easily grow to 280 pounds. Ansah is in my opinion strictly a 4-3 defensive end despite his great athleticism and talent.

However, I am not totally against the pick because the Steelers have been using a lot of four down linemen sets and Ansah could be used as a situational pass rusher when they play in the nickel.

Overall, I would give the pick a solid B grade that could go either way. I am sure Lebau would love to have an athlete like Ansah in his front seven and he would probably be able to come in and make an impact right away.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/1/16/3883850/mel-kiper-2013-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-ezekiel-ansah

Mel takes risks with his mocks... which I like. He does not follow what everyone else says; he makes up his won mind.

That said, there was a study done, and like all of the other experts, he was barely above 25% for his picks. Most of them get around 7-9 picks in R1 correct (25%).

Mel's biggest "hit" was Pac-Man Jones at #6 overall. no one else had Pac-Man in the top 20... but, Mel mocked him at #6. Then, low & behold, Pac-Man indeed went #6.

Oh, and Mel always liked BB... which makes me like Mel.

kan_t
01-17-2013, 01:27 AM
Many here may have seen I have been a strong defender of Manti Te'o all season. Even after his abysmal national championship, I wanted the Steelers to draft him more than ever. After the news of tonight, I don't know what to think anymore. If you don't know what I'm talking about, google it, I'm not even going to begin to try to explain, it's too weird.

All I can say is that this video PERFECTLY sums up my current feelings towards the Irish linebacker. Nothing could say it better:

37SrQdIqKiU
Give it time and the picture will be clearer. Right now there are still lots of questions. Thanks to the draft, NFL teams will try their best to figure all those questions out.

lloydwoodson
01-17-2013, 01:39 AM

I think Te'o is the real victim here. This story will be really embarassing for him.

Te'o probably considered some "girl" he met online his girlfriend. He probably got had and now this story is all over CNN, Sports Illustrated it is EVERYWHERE. Hilariously awkward really. Prisoners and soldiers historically have married their pen pals so it is hardly setting a precedent. The truth is stranger than fiction. Mail-order bride anyone?

I hope this story combined with Te'o's poor bowl performance drops him down to at least the second round. Mingo 1st Te'o 2nd would be amazing.

Is it possible Tomlin was high on Te'o and posed as Te'o's "girlfriend" in order to set him up for embarassment and hurt his draft stock so the Steelers could steal him in the second round? I think that is the most plausible explanation. :sofunny:

Hawaii 5-0
01-17-2013, 01:43 AM
Is it possible Tomlin was high on Te'o and posed as Te'o's "girlfriend" in order to set him up for embarassment and hurt his draft stock so the Steelers could steal him in the second round? I think that is the most plausible explanation. :sofunny:

sounds like something "Dick" would do...:chuckle:

teegre
01-17-2013, 01:47 AM
I think Te'o is the real victim here. This story will be really embarassing for him.

Te'o probably considered some "girl" he met online his girlfriend. He probably got had and now this story is all over CNN, Sports Illustrated it is EVERYWHERE. Hilariously awkward really. Prisoners and soldiers historically have married their pen pals so it is hardly setting a precedent. The truth is stranger than fiction. Mail-order bride anyone?

I hope this story combined with Te'o's poor bowl performance drops him down to at least the second round. Mingo 1st Te'o 2nd would be amazing.

No way he gets past the Ravens. They were rumored to already be trying to see how much it would cost to move up to 15 or 16, in order to snag Te'o (right before the Steelers could). If he drops to them, he's a Raven.

And, his "high character" screams Belichick... and, with so many picks, the Taperiots could afford to take a risk on Te'o.

Whichever drafts first (Taperiots) would take him in a heartbeat.

Regardless, I still see him going to either the Chargers or the Saints.

lloydwoodson
01-17-2013, 01:54 AM
sounds like something "Dick" would do...:chuckle:

Ha! Lebeau and Tomlin have a new reality TV show coming up called "Burfict'd" where they see how far they can cause a player's draft stock to plummet through hilarious pranks!

Switch a urine sample to produce a negative... Burfict'd!

Tip on the police to a player having a party... Burfict'd!

Hire a hooker to seduce a prospect then post pics... Burfict'd!

PhantomJB93
01-17-2013, 02:00 AM

Yeah, again I really don't know what to believe. I guess I have a hard time believing that he really considered this "girl" his girlfriend without once having met her in real life and then was so moved by her "death," it just sounds way too fishy, especially when you go back and watch the interviews he gave about her. He seemed to act like he had met her and had a deep relationship with her, although at the same time it would be damn hard to fake emotion for her the way he did because he came off pretty sincere.

At the same time, Te'o is the last, the LAST person in college football, and maybe all of sports, I would have expected to formulate a hoax like this. He seemed like one of the genuine "good guys" in sports, a real stand-up guy. I know people at Notre Dame who met him personally and lived in his dorm and they had nothing but the highest praise for him as a person off the field (although they are obviously biased to defend him).

I have just as hard a time believing he was "in" on something like this as I do believing he was totally duped by the whole thing as he claimed. I still would love him on the Steelers as a player, but I am so confused with what to think of him as a person and leader now. If his side of the story his true and he was tricked into believing she cared for him and passed away without ever having met her, then I just feel incredibly and deeply sorry for him, but if he was in on this, then I feel like a complete idiot for ever having believed in him.

lloydwoodson
01-17-2013, 03:18 AM
I'm on Te'o's side. Take a deep breath and think about it for a moment. 21 years old mormon and probably a virgin. Look at the way he was talking about "Lennay" how he wasn't "attracted to her physical beauty but the beauty of her character." Sorry, that's virgin talk. Manti is a 21 year old kid. What does he know? It is very possible he became overly emotionally involved in a girl he had met briefly in person or only over the internet during a period of crisis in his life. I don't understand all the pieces yet but I'm willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt on the basis he is probably just another crazy religious kid.

PS I hope he ***** the bed at the combine too... and with their 5th pick the Steelers select... Manti Te'o!

:tt02:

StevieRayVol
01-17-2013, 05:22 AM
I'd rather be in A.J McCarron's shoes....:thumbsup:

wwhickok
01-17-2013, 07:11 AM
AJ mc nothanks

Te'o I think will surprise a lot of people. I would like to see us draft him

teegre
01-17-2013, 08:37 AM
AJ mc nothanks

Te'o I think will surprise a lot of people. I would like to see us draft him

He was referring to McCarron's girlfriend...

steelfury02
01-17-2013, 09:46 AM
sometimes it takes something like this to shake a player for the better - who knows,might have been just what he needed to get prepared for the media shitstorm he might face in the NFL

if the guy is a virgin - I'm sure he's got a lot of pent-up frustration to unleash on offenses - sounds like Te'o might be the whole package! lol

cbrunn
01-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Would anybody be mad if they went S 1st and 2nd round?? something like this ... I think safety is the most under rated part of this defense, Clark and Troy are a hell of a tandem , and both are about done , so why not get a Tandem like that again
Elam = Clark
Thomas = Troy

1 - S - Matt Elam
2 - S - Phillip Thomas
3 - WR - Coby Hamilton
4 - RB - Mike Gillislee
5 - OLB - David Bass
6 - TE - Michael Williams
7 - Oline depth

SteelersCanada
01-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Waiting until the fifth round to draft an OLB isn't acceptable.

Hawaii 5-0
01-17-2013, 11:48 PM
Waiting until the fifth round to draft an OLB isn't acceptable.

why not?

if Woodley gets himself into shape which I think he will and rebounds and Deebo agrees to re-structure his contract and returns for another season and Jason Worilds continues his development, what opportunity would a rookie OLB in Dick LeBeau's defense have to play next season? and don't forget, we still have Chris Carter as well...

Hawaii 5-0
01-18-2013, 12:14 AM
I'm on Te'o's side. Take a deep breath and think about it for a moment. 21 years old mormon and probably a virgin. Look at the way he was talking about "Lennay" how he wasn't "attracted to her physical beauty but the beauty of her character." Sorry, that's virgin talk. Manti is a 21 year old kid. What does he know? It is very possible he became overly emotionally involved in a girl he had met briefly in person or only over the internet during a period of crisis in his life. I don't understand all the pieces yet but I'm willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt on the basis he is probably just another crazy religious kid.

PS I hope he ***** the bed at the combine too... and with their 5th pick the Steelers select... Manti Te'o!

:tt02:

very well said, I think the only thing Te'o is guilty of is of being very very naive...

SteelersCanada
01-18-2013, 12:27 AM
why not?

if Woodley gets himself into shape which I think he will and rebounds and Deebo agrees to re-structure his contract and returns for another season and Jason Worilds continues his development, what opportunity would a rookie OLB in Dick LeBeau's defense have to play next season? and don't forget, we still have Chris Carter as well...

Worilds hasn't shown he can do anything on the right side. 4 of his 5 sacks this year came when he was playing in relief for Woodley and the one he did get on the right side was a 'gimme' sack. The fact is, he just can't play ROLB and up to this point, hasn't impressed or shown he has any potential to fill for Harrison.

I honestly haven't seen enough of Carter to make a judgment call. But, if Worilds is contributing what he is and Carter isn't coming in as relief, then I'm going to temper my excitement with him as well.

After the first round, the pass rush talent significantly drops off. There just isn't a whole lot behind guys like Jones, Mingo, Montgomery, Jordan and Okafor (someone I'm not sold on at all, by the way). However, Safety has some depth to it. McDonald, Lester, Swearinger and Rambo are all guys we could have past the first round and all are capable Safeties with a tremendously high ceiling and great potential. Granted, they're raw and not as talented as guys like Elam or Vaccaro, but they're still intriguing guys.

It's gotta be OLB, S/WR/RB, ILB, S/WR/RB depending on who we take in the second and fourth rounds. Say we take Dion Jordan in the first round. Moving into the second round, we could grab someone like Swearinger or Jefferson in the second and a WR in the fourth.

We just don't have talent at OLB other than Woodley. We really don't have any talent at LB outside Timmons and Woodley and both ILB and OLB need to be addressed in the first three rounds, preferably with Jordan/Mingo and Nico Johnson as the guys starting for us next season. Maybe it's time we change our philosophy on rookies and let the younger guys play and really get a 'trial by fire' kind of thing going - they've shown they can play in LSU and 'Bama defenses, let them try and play in Dick's.

cbrunn
01-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Worilds hasn't shown he can do anything on the right side. 4 of his 5 sacks this year came when he was playing in relief for Woodley and the one he did get on the right side was a 'gimme' sack. The fact is, he just can't play ROLB and up to this point, hasn't impressed or shown he has any potential to fill for Harrison.

I honestly haven't seen enough of Carter to make a judgment call. But, if Worilds is contributing what he is and Carter isn't coming in as relief, then I'm going to temper my excitement with him as well.

After the first round, the pass rush talent significantly drops off. There just isn't a whole lot behind guys like Jones, Mingo, Montgomery, Jordan and Okafor (someone I'm not sold on at all, by the way). However, Safety has some depth to it. McDonald, Lester, Swearinger and Rambo are all guys we could have past the first round and all are capable Safeties with a tremendously high ceiling and great potential. Granted, they're raw and not as talented as guys like Elam or Vaccaro, but they're still intriguing guys.

It's gotta be OLB, S/WR/RB, ILB, S/WR/RB depending on who we take in the second and fourth rounds. Say we take Dion Jordan in the first round. Moving into the second round, we could grab someone like Swearinger or Jefferson in the second and a WR in the fourth.

We just don't have talent at OLB other than Woodley. We really don't have any talent at LB outside Timmons and Woodley and both ILB and OLB need to be addressed in the first three rounds, preferably with Jordan/Mingo and Nico Johnson as the guys starting for us next season. Maybe it's time we change our philosophy on rookies and let the younger guys play and really get a 'trial by fire' kind of thing going - they've shown they can play in LSU and 'Bama defenses, let them try and play in Dick's.

There is going to be No OLB left to take ... Mingo will not last he'll blow the combine up ... Jordan could with his injury, but i'm not sold on Jordan anyway... only OLB that'll be left is Okafor or Sam Montgomery ...

And it depends on Spence injury rehab if you want to spend another 1-3 round pick on a ILB ... and if they do I would rather it be Gerald Hodges over Nico Johnson or Skov, Hodges is the real deal and at the east/west game he's killing it and weighs 240 now

other safeties you mentioned Mcdonald meh to me , Jefferson meh to me, Swearinger interesting but in the 2nd??? woo no thanks , Lester ok but a definite drop off, Rambo I love but doubt they take a pass on anyone in this draft, you forgot Duke Williams and Shamarko Thomas ... which I like Duke, I like Shamarko too but he's real short no thanks, I also like David Amerson at FS but can he tackle good enough is the question?
The more I look at it , this "Deep" Safety class is kind of just aright to me

None of the safeties besides Elam and Phillip Thomas in this draft can actually do what Clark and Troy do always be in the backfield making plays Behind the Line ... and that is Vital to the defense as is OLB... Teams would never know when Troy was coming so that would help Harrison and Woodley a lot

I also agree by letting the players have a "trail by fire" ...

Here are some David Bass scouting reports
http://nflmocks.com/2012/08/02/david-bass-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/
http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2013-shrine-game-east-roster-stock-up-down-highest-rated-and-starting-rosters.html

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-18-2013, 07:37 AM

Worilds was coming off wrist surgery so during the offseason he was unable to lift while his wrist was healing. Regardless where his sacks came from he lead the team till week 17 in VERY limited time. The word is still out on him. Carter was a no factor this whole year I believe he won't be anything but a special teamer.

The olbs you mention in particular Jordan and mingo are speed rushers and not much else. Mingo only had 5.5 regardless of how many times he got pressure thats very low for a first rounder going against college players most of whom wont be starters in the nfl. Like Cbrunn said he will wow at the combine.

Jordan on the other hand is going to go to a 4-3 team. I've posted that before and with a link and analysis by steelers depot a highly respectable steelers site who thinks he's a best fit for a wide 9 technique 4-3 team. He wasn't good against the run and doesn't have much pass rushing moves beside he's speed. We need guys who can get sacks just as muh as stop the run not one or the other.

As for okafor I think he will have a better college career than mingo and Jordan. He had 4.5 sacks in the Alamo bowl 1 shy of Mingos whole season. He's good against the run and rushes the passer with multiple moves including a bull rush and has the speed to set the edge. He also uses his hands really well. I really like the kid how ever I wouldn't draft him at 17 and think the falcons will take him to replace Abraham.

The later rounds I would look for guys like chase Thomas to play outside. And like Cbrunn I'm very high on hodges he could play next to Timmons. He will be a steal to whoever gets him. Nico Johnson is solid against the run but very weak in coverage and I think we all have agreed that we want some one next rim timmons that can cover the te and rbs so Timmons can do his thing.

If we go safety I hope it's vaccaro.

steelfury02
01-18-2013, 09:29 AM
here's the bottom line, and excuse my ignorance for not being up to speed on the talent pool

we need a disrupting force on our defense, and preferably 2 so you never know where its coming from

that either has to come from someone already on the team or in the draft - pretty simple idea

we are doing this tackling the catch and LBs having additional pass coverage assignments because of injuries and taking on additional responsibilities to help the fill-ins - this is the whole "playing scared" argument.

Get healthy, get a disrupting force = back to more turnovers, pressures, sacks, etc

teegre
01-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Re: Te'o

Might not this whole "fake girlfriend" incident explain his poor performance in the title-game? The timeline suggests that Te'o found out about the hoax on the 26th... right before the title-game... and he probably had that on his mind ("Oh crap... I am going to be a laughing-stock!!!").

Regardless, I see NO way he gets past the Taperiots (at 29) or the Ravens (at 31).

Te'o "seems" like a Taperiot... you know: a liar. All jokes aside, he does truly seem like a Taperiot: smart & a leader.

Rumors were already flying of the Ravens trading up to 15-16, in order to get Te'o (right before the Steelers drafted)... and now, he could fall right into their laps. As far as the Ravens taking a risk on a LB with questionable character... well... it's not like Te'o murdered anyone. :wink02:

SteelersCanada
01-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Re: Te'o

Might not this whole "fake girlfriend" incident explain his poor performance in the title-game? The timeline suggests that Te'o found out about the hoax on the 26th... right before the title-game... and he probably had that on his mind ("Oh crap... I am going to be a laughing-stock!!!").

Regardless, I see NO way he gets past the Taperiots (at 29) or the Ravens (at 31).

Te'o "seems" like a Taperiot... you know: a liar. All jokes aside, he does truly seem like a Taperiot: smart & a leader.

Rumors were already flying of the Ravens trading up to 15-16, in order to get Te'o (right before the Steelers drafted)... and now, he could fall right into their laps. As far as the Ravens taking a risk on a LB with questionable character... well... it's not like Te'o murdered anyone. :wink02:

"Nothing will affect his draft stock like being an average speed, two-down Linebacker."

That pretty much sums up the whole girlfriend thing.

steelfury02
01-18-2013, 12:10 PM
the whole romanticism and acting like a grieving widow when he supposedly never met her in person is really freaky - seems like Te'o enjoys an alternate reality and the motivation and publicity that came along with it - whether he was in on the hoax or not (and as I'm typing I'm now seeing that he spoke of this GF after he knew she was a fake)

The more I hear, the less I care about him falling to an AFC rival. If we get him, then he's got a lot to prove after he got owned by the closest thing to NFL-caliber players.

"Manti Te'o has said he was a victim of a cruel hoax, so many are wondering why he continued to perpetuate the lie that his girlfriend had died after he found out that it was all a scam.

Multiple media outlets have found numerous instances of the Notre Dame linebacker talking about Lennay Kekua as if she had existed after Dec. 6, the date that he and the university say he found out that the girl that he thought he was having a relationship with and who died of leukemia was made up."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8856519/manti-teo-talked-girlfriend-knowing-hoax

blackandgoldsc
01-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Te'o is the next Tebow....overhyped....might have been great in NCAA but this isn't the NCAA.
I am in no way a believer that Te'o is a great LB, no way, no how. I am not as intelligent as some people on this board but there is no way I think Te'o is worthy of the black and gold. I thought this long ago, not just since the hoax was revealed. I think that it is super important for us to find an absolute playmaker. It is (thankfully) rare that we draft this high. Whenever we do we find franchise players (ie Ben, Troy, etc). We need to make sure this year is no different. Whether it is at (no particular order) RB, S, LB, OL, DL, CB, don't care so long as they are a playmaker for Pittsburgh for the next decade.

My personal preference for order of picks would be S, OL, RB (Lattimore if available here would be amazing), CB....
I think a lot of people are thinking our LB situation is worse than it is. A lot of people forget that Spence was on IR all year...Worilds will have another year of experience as will Carter. I really think those three will be able to live up to 'the standard'. I think our D line is also young and not bad. People's opinions of Hood are like oil and water...love him or hate him but I think he is decent as is Heyward and McClendon. OL is getting there.....I know it won't happen but I would rather have Starks than Gilbert. I am not sold on Gilbert's work ethic and in turn skills. So another new OL player would be nice. S is where I think we really are thin and if we can land a future all pro S that would really help.

teegre
01-18-2013, 04:44 PM
"Nothing will affect his draft stock like being an average speed, two-down Linebacker."

That pretty much sums up the whole girlfriend thing.

He still goes R1.

SteelersCanada
01-18-2013, 05:29 PM
He still goes R1.

Absolutely he will be. That being said, more and more scouts are coming out of the woodwork and saying his play this year was more built on hype rather than play and the game against 'Bama showed that. Now, he's a great collegiate player and will probably be a solid ILB in the NFL.

I'd be a little upset if we took him at 17, though. At this point, I'd rather take Elam or Mingo/Jordan, despite that I think that Elam at 17 is a reach.

bhandsome08
01-18-2013, 05:37 PM
I'd be a little upset if we took him at 17, though. At this point, I'd rather take Elam or Mingo/Jordan, despite that I think that Elam at 17 is a reach.

So Maybe trading down would be the route to take? Even if we lose out on Elam, the Steelers would still have plenty of safeties to choose from and have additional draft picks too.

SteelersCanada
01-18-2013, 05:55 PM
So Maybe trading down would be the route to take? Even if we lose out on Elam, the Steelers would still have plenty of safeties to choose from and have additional draft picks too.

If Mingo, Jordan and Vacarro are off the board I say we absolutely trade down.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-18-2013, 06:00 PM
If Mingo, Jordan and Vacarro are off the board I say we absolutely trade down.

Thats whats im expecting us to do this year we have alot of needs to fill on offense & defense.

DeAndre Hopkins would look good in a Steelers uniform in the 2nd round if we lose Wallace.

bhandsome08
01-18-2013, 06:30 PM
So if the Steelers were to trade down. They'd look for a package like this years 2nd and 3rd round picks, plus next years 2nd round pick?

teegre
01-18-2013, 06:58 PM
So if the Steelers were to trade down. They'd look for a package like this years 2nd and 3rd round picks, plus next years 2nd round pick?

My guess is that a top-ten team in need of a QB will NOT take a QB in R1... but, instead, they will trade back up to about (let's say) SEVENTEEN.

The Steelers would get the R2 & R3 this year, and a R1 next year. [This is what the Ravens & the Browns had to give up for trading back into R1 for Flacco & for Weeden respectively.]

teegre
01-18-2013, 07:00 PM

You don't have to convicne me to take Elam over Te'o.

Now... we have three months for you to convince me to take Jordan over Elam. Get started... :wink02:

bhandsome08
01-18-2013, 08:35 PM
Even if they did trade back, how would the team sign all those picks?

Sharkissle29
01-18-2013, 09:08 PM
You don't have to convicne me to take Elam over Te'o.

Now... we have three months for you to convince me to take Jordan over Elam. Get started... :wink02:

This is all you need... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rREjDTpTedE

He is a tackling machine.

cbrunn
01-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Follow me on this trail of trades ... tell me if all this is realistic

Chiefs trade #1 to Philly for #4 and a 3rd
-Chiefs want a QB... none there at #1 they say they'll take the BPA, Okie Doke Eagles who NEED that LT and move up 3 spots for a 3rd(maybe more)

Chiefs trade #4 to the Saints for #15 and a 3rd, and a Future 2nd
- Still nobody really worth taking at number 4 for the Chiefs, and they have wholes to fill ... Saints need a pass rusher , Jarvis Jones, Moore , Mingo and so on

Steelers trade #17 to the 49ers for their 1st and 2nd
- 49ers have an extra 3rd, so they don't mind moving up and getting somebody like Dion Jordan (if he falls) or get a safety before the run on safeties happen

Steelers trade their 49ers 1st for the Chiefs 2nd and one of their extra 3rds
- Chiefs want to jump back up and get Geno Smith before Jacksonville can at the top of the 2nd

Chiefs end 1st round with , #15 and Geno Smith , a extra 3rd, and a Future 2nd

Steelers end 1st round with , 3 2nds , and 2 3rds
(#34) , #47 , 49ers 2nd , Saints 3rd , Steelers 3rd

49ers get Dion Jordan or their #1 safety , and still have 2 3rd round picks so they get 7 players this draft

cbrunn
01-18-2013, 10:17 PM
picks would be

34 - 48 - 60 - 75 - 79 -112 - 5th - 6th - 7th

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-18-2013, 10:59 PM
Jordan or mngo no! Have explained it before . Vaccaro or Elam yes.

And please stop saying Jordan or mingo if you won't responded back to people's argument. These draft topics are so sporadic on these board and no ones responds when valid points are made. And the same draft prospects are named over and over again.

No knowledgeable conversation here it's very annoying

Hawaii 5-0
01-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Vaccaro or Elam yes.

completely agree.

Ryan Clark and Troy aren't getting any younger and who do we have behind them, Will Allen and Ryan Mundy?

bhandsome08
01-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Why do people have those 2013 Steelers Mock Draft: when they post? Shayne Skov isn't declaring for the draft too anyways.

StevieRayVol
01-19-2013, 12:12 AM
He was referring to McCarron's girlfriend...

Exactly:hatsoff:

kan_t
01-19-2013, 04:10 AM
Jordan or mngo no! Have explained it before . Vaccaro or Elam yes.

And please stop saying Jordan or mingo if you won't responded back to people's argument. These draft topics are so sporadic on these board and no ones responds when valid points are made. And the same draft prospects are named over and over again.

No knowledgeable conversation here it's very annoying
There is basically no sure thing in draft when you pick after top 5. Sure we won't mention Jordan or Mingo if the Steelers have a top 5 pick. In this case we will talk about Jones. Most people here mentioned Jordan or Mingo acknowledge their weaknesses. But people also acknowledge their upside and still think that it may worth the risk.

JackH
01-19-2013, 09:05 AM
picks would be

34 - 48 - 60 - 75 - 79 -112 - 5th - 6th - 7th

Your scenario seems to me to be too much trading to be realistic.

If something like this is going to happen, I see it possibly this way:

Chiefs have new coach and GM. I don't think they want to take the chance that their first draft pick and the number one overall pick will be a bust, which is a possibility if they take a QB. So the Chiefs take somebody like OT Luke Joeckel with their first pick. They trade back up into the first round for the Steelers #1 pick. We get, like teegre said, their R2 and R3 this year and their R1 next year.

Justp94
01-21-2013, 12:38 PM
*=Depending on who's available at the time.
My Steelers 2013 Mock Draft
1. WR Cordarrelle Patterson or OLB Ezekiel Ansah*
2. TE Tyler Eifert or SS Matt Elam*
3. RB Montee Ball or ILB Jon Bostic*
4. FS D.J. Swearinger
5. OG Omoregie Uzzi
6. DT Montori Hughes
7. QB Collin Klein

JackH
01-21-2013, 01:55 PM
*=Depending on who's available at the time.
My Steelers 2013 Mock Draft
1. WR Cordarrelle Patterson or OLB Ezekiel Ansah*
2. TE Tyler Eifert or SS Matt Elam*
3. RB Montee Ball or ILB Jon Bostic*
4. FS D.J. Swearinger
5. OG Omoregie Uzzi
6. DT Montori Hughes
7. QB Collin Klein

I love your draft. If we could get what you are saying, I would pencil the Steelers in for the Super Bowl.

Patterson is a good choice for a big WR if that is what the Steelers want. I prefer TE Eifert or Ertz if we are going receiver because I believe both are more of a can't miss. Mel Kiper Jr. has Ansah going to the Steelers in the 1st round, incidentally.

No way either Eifert or Elam will last until our pick in the 2nd round. Wishful thinking.

Montee Ball will go to the Bengals in the 1st round, again according to Kiper. Not that I consider Mel Jr. the second coming of Christ. But I don't see Ball lasting until the 3rd round.

Klein I like late if the Steelers can get him. We need a rook to get ready and play on the practice squad, just in case.

Justp94
01-21-2013, 02:20 PM
I love your draft. If we could get what you are saying, I would pencil the Steelers in for the Super Bowl.

Patterson is a good choice for a big WR if that is what the Steelers want. I prefer TE Eifert or Ertz if we are going receiver because I believe both are more of a can't miss. Mel Kiper Jr. has Ansah going to the Steelers in the 1st round, incidentally.

No way either Eifert or Elam will last until our pick in the 2nd round. Wishful thinking.

Montee Ball will go to the Bengals in the 1st round, again according to Kiper. Not that I consider Mel Jr. the second coming of Christ. But I don't see Ball lasting until the 3rd round.

Klein I like late if the Steelers can get him. We need a rook to get ready and play on the practice squad, just in case.

I was using CBS Sports Draft Prospects ratings to help make my Mock draft, it has Ball going in the 2nd-3rd round and him being the 69th player overall. I'm hoping that no one takes Ball so we can get him, I especially don't want the Bengals to grab him. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/

And yeah Both of those Tight ends would probably be gone, along with Elam, so idk... if they're both gone in the 2nd round, then maybe WR Da'Rick Rogers if we don't get Patterson in the 1st round?

I wouldn't be mad if Patterson was gone though since my second choice Ansah is such a beast and would be an automatic starter at OLB.
WMtBmOdYsqo

SteelersCanada
01-21-2013, 06:49 PM
The article is from BRs Matt Miller, a guy I greatly respect. He knows his stuff and his mock overall is probably the most accurate I've seen so far, and I can really see us taking Dion Jordan. He's smart on-and-off the field and he doesn't have any priors. The only red flag I can see against him would be his torn shoulder labrum, but we've taken chances on guys with injuries before and they've worked out pretty well (Miller and Polamalu, anyone?). At this point, Jordan is the best guy on the board and potentially, the entire draft.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers

The Pick: OLB Dion Jordan, Oregon

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/914/209/hi-res-6716398_display_image.jpg?1358606691

A torn labrum has pushed Oregon's Dion Jordan down the board, which means one lucky team will add a potential top-five pick in the later half of the first round.

Jordan's ability to play multiple positions will garner him plenty of attention from NFL scouts. Depending on how healthy his shoulder is by the Oregon pro day, he may be able to rehabilitate his stock and continue to climb up the board. As it stands today, the Pittsburgh Steelers would love to add this freak of nature to the lineup.

Jordan would be the ultimate counter to LaMarr Woodley on the edge, allowing the team to replace James Harrison in the future while adding in another athletic pass-rusher in the interim.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers

The Pick: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

Eifert lacks the athleticism to be drafted higher than this, but the Steelers won't mind. His size and hands will give them a young red-zone threat to complement Heath Miller before replacing him down the line.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers

The Pick: Tony Jefferson, FS, Oklahoma

The Steelers know that Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu can't play forever. Tony Jefferson gives them a young stud to groom for the future.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1491880-2013-nfl-mock-draft-pre-super-bowl-edition/page/18

-- Gotta say, those three together would be pretty amazing picks for us. However, he has Giovani Bernard being picked by the Packers at 26 and I don't think we let him slide by us with the amount of trouble we've had at RB this season. If we did manage to grab Jordan in the first with Bernard in the second, those fill needs and are also BPA. Grabbing Jefferson in the third would be a gift, but I think we have to take Nico Johnson here because he wont fall to us in the fourth round.

pete74
01-21-2013, 06:58 PM
I want Jordan. He seems like he is going to be a top 5 pass rusher out of the gate. Hopefully he drops to us

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-21-2013, 07:08 PM
I want Jordan. He seems like he is going to be a top 5 pass rusher out of the gate. Hopefully he drops to us

Me to but he needs to work on his pass rushing skills tho can't always rely on speed.

Sharkissle29
01-21-2013, 08:40 PM
I was using CBS Sports Draft Prospects ratings to help make my Mock draft, it has Ball going in the 2nd-3rd round and him being the 69th player overall. I'm hoping that no one takes Ball so we can get him, I especially don't want the Bengals to grab him. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/

And yeah Both of those Tight ends would probably be gone, along with Elam, so idk... if they're both gone in the 2nd round, then maybe WR Da'Rick Rogers if we don't get Patterson in the 1st round?

I wouldn't be mad if Patterson was gone though since my second choice Ansah is such a beast and would be an automatic starter at OLB.
WMtBmOdYsqo

I know it is a highlight tape, but my god was that impressive....very good with his hands and his speed is unreal.

lloydwoodson
01-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Nice vid. Ansah looks legit. He did a nice job of reading out plays and staying with RBs in those clips.

SteelersCanada
01-21-2013, 09:21 PM
I'm going to have to start a thread about the misconception regarding Jordan and his 'short-comings'. He's an elite prospect and if he's on the board, we have to take him.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-21-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm going to have to start a thread about the misconception regarding Jordan and his 'short-comings'. He's an elite prospect and if he's on the board, we have to take him.

Please do cause I'm not a believer

Justp94
01-21-2013, 09:47 PM

I'd still rather have Ezekiel Ansah... he's only been playing football for 3 years and he's already such a great athlete, that's something special.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-22-2013, 12:35 AM
I'd still rather have Ezekiel Ansah... he's only been playing football for 3 years and he's already such a great athlete, that's something special.

only 3 years? damn...screw Dion Jordan i want this guy lol

kan_t
01-22-2013, 01:15 AM
only 3 years? damn...screw Dion Jordan i want this guy lol
Dion Jordan switched from TE to DE in 2010. It's not like he has lots of experience at DE either.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-22-2013, 01:29 AM
Dion Jordan switched from TE to DE in 2010. It's not like he has lots of experience at DE either.

But still Ezekiel Ansah looks a little better to me when you look at tape but if he is gone I would not be mad if we draft Dion Jordan

Hawaii 5-0
01-22-2013, 01:32 AM
But still Ezekiel Ansah looks a little better to me when you look at tape but if he is gone I would not be mad if we draft Dion Jordan

I would be more than happy with either Dion Jordan or Ezekiel Ansah as James Harrison's eventual successor at ROLB.

PhantomJB93
01-22-2013, 01:57 AM
Ansah's tape is definitely more impressive, although it was against weaker competition. I wouldn't be upset with either though. Both are developing prospects having not played DE/OLB for very long (Ansah apparently never even played football until college). Personally I think I like Ansah more as again his tape makes him look like much more of a playmaker than Jordan's, although Jordan may be a better prospect physically.

bhandsome08
01-22-2013, 02:09 AM
So everyone has pretty much given up on Jason Worilds as Harrison's replacement?
Steelers Probably won't draft an OLB that's 6'5+, since typical Steelers OLBs are 6'-6'2 and 240-260LBs range.

PhantomJB93
01-22-2013, 02:14 AM
So everyone has pretty much given up on Jason Worilds as Harrison's replacement?
Steelers Probably won't draft an OLB that's 6'5+, since typical Steelers OLBs are 6'-6'2 and 240-260LBs range.

I haven't but at the same time when we draft there will almost be too many good OLB prospects to not choose one. Worilds has been impressive (to me, not to others) but not impressive enough to rule out taking another difference maker at the position.

If we were to go safety or ILB, however, I'd still have no problem giving Worilds a full tryout as a starter if we cut ties with Harrison. Just saying we're in a position where the pass rush needs to improve sooner rather than later and with Worilds no sure thing, and an abundance of pass rushing talent available in the draft where we choose, it's likely we will go that route.

bhandsome08
01-22-2013, 02:19 AM
I haven't but at the same time when we draft there will almost be too many good OLB prospects to not choose one. Worilds has been impressive (to me, not to others) but not impressive enough to rule out taking another difference maker at the position.

If we were to go safety or ILB, however, I'd still have no problem giving Worilds a full tryout as a starter if we cut ties with Harrison. Just saying we're in a position where the pass rush needs to improve sooner rather than later and with Worilds no sure thing, and an abundance of pass rushing talent available in the draft where we choose, it's likely we will go that route.

I would think ILB, S, and TE would be the positions drafted in the first 3 rounds by the Steelers.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-22-2013, 02:26 AM
I would think ILB, S, and TE would be the positions drafted in the first 3 rounds by the Steelers.

If Spence is back healthy I think ILB is not a big need but depth would be nice tho

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-22-2013, 02:44 AM
1. Ezekiel Ansah, OLB, BYU/Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
2. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
3. Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State
4. William Gholston, DE, Michigan State
5. Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina(could be a huge steal when he gets healthy)
6. Michael Mauti, ILB, Penn State
7. Brandon Ford, TE, Clemson

kan_t
01-22-2013, 03:46 AM
No doubt he's a high ceiling guy. I'm just not sure that he's a 3-4 OLB. He looks more like a 4-3 DE. The weaker competition may be a reason that he looks better at tape than Jordan too.

kan_t
01-22-2013, 03:51 AM

I'm not giving up Worilds yet. Keep in mind that a rookies rarely starts in Steelers' 3-4 scheme in their first year. It's time to pick one for the future.

bhandsome08
01-23-2013, 05:59 PM
How would people feel about drafting Jonathan Cooper? He is the #2 ranked guard behind Warmack.
He'd solidify the interior for years with Pouncey and DeCastro.

pete74
01-23-2013, 06:20 PM
How would people feel about drafting Jonathan Cooper? He is the #2 ranked guard behind Warmack.
He'd solidify the interior for years with Pouncey and DeCastro.

No way. We used enough first and second round picks on our offensive line recently. I gurentee we don't use another regardless of who is available

Hawaii 5-0
01-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Ed: Steelers Swung, Missed on OLBs in First Round

WEDNESDAY, 23 JANUARY 2013 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- YOU: I know you're not a fan of draft talk this early in the year, and neither am I -

This is not a player specific question - It's more of a position specific question.

Let's say Harrison refuses to take a paycut and is cut, and they lose Wallace to free agency -

Sitting at 17, they have a choice between a stud OLB and a stud WR (say they have them rated 1a and 1b on their board). Who do they take? I guess I should just have asked "which position is more important to the Steelers - OLB or WR"? And could they draft a DE and convert him to DE a la Woodley?

ME: They’ve been drafting defensive ends and converting them to outside linebackers for 30 years. It’s almost the only way to get a 3-4 outside linebacker. I would say the stud OLB would be far more preferable to the stud WR at No. 17. Here comes the interesting part: The Steelers have not drafted someone on the first round to play outside linebacker in the past 21 years. The last time they did so, it was a disaster picking defensive end Huey Richardson of Florida No. 1 in 1991. Since that time, they have drafted four wide receivers on the first round and two tight ends. They also failed miserably drafting another defensive end to play outside linebacker when they took Aaron Jones of Eastern Kentucky No. 1 in 1988. The only outside linebacker the Steelers drafted on the first round who had any success since Chuck Noll took over as coach in 1969 until now was Robin Cole in 1977.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119598-ed-steelers-swung-miised-on-olbs-in-first-round

teegre
01-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Ed: Steelers Swung, Missed on OLBs in First Round

WEDNESDAY, 23 JANUARY 2013 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- YOU: I know you're not a fan of draft talk this early in the year, and neither am I -

This is not a player specific question - It's more of a position specific question.

Let's say Harrison refuses to take a paycut and is cut, and they lose Wallace to free agency -

Sitting at 17, they have a choice between a stud OLB and a stud WR (say they have them rated 1a and 1b on their board). Who do they take? I guess I should just have asked "which position is more important to the Steelers - OLB or WR"? And could they draft a DE and convert him to DE a la Woodley?

ME: They’ve been drafting defensive ends and converting them to outside linebackers for 30 years. It’s almost the only way to get a 3-4 outside linebacker. I would say the stud OLB would be far more preferable to the stud WR at No. 17. Here comes the interesting part: The Steelers have not drafted someone on the first round to play outside linebacker in the past 21 years. The last time they did so, it was a disaster picking defensive end Huey Richardson of Florida No. 1 in 1991. Since that time, they have drafted four wide receivers on the first round and two tight ends. They also failed miserably drafting another defensive end to play outside linebacker when they took Aaron Jones of Eastern Kentucky No. 1 in 1988. The only outside linebacker the Steelers drafted on the first round who had any success since Chuck Noll took over as coach in 1969 until now was Robin Cole in 1977.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119598-ed-steelers-swung-miised-on-olbs-in-first-round

But, in R2... they are money!!!

Lambert
Kirkland
Brown
Bell
Worilds... uh... hmmm.

Sharkissle29
01-23-2013, 08:59 PM
But, in R2... they are money!!!

Lambert
Kirkland
Brown
Bell
Worilds... uh... hmmm.

I am not giving up on Worlids, I think he has improved every year with us. With that being said, i still want Ansah. The Steelers have always been notorious for drafting LB's, even if they are set. The more the merrier.

bhandsome08
01-23-2013, 09:01 PM
No way. We used enough first and second round picks on our offensive line recently. I gurentee we don't use another regardless of who is available

So Ur okay with a OL of Gilbert-Colon-Pouncey-Decastro-Adams protecting BB?

SteelersCanada
01-23-2013, 09:07 PM

Every single guy on that line except Colon is a first or second round guy that is still developing and seemingly getting better ever single game. So, yes, I'm happy with that line. Unless someone like Jonathan Cooper falls to us in the second round, no high picks should be spent on an already revamped OLine.

casteeler
01-23-2013, 10:07 PM

Protecting BB is one thing but piss poor run blocking is another. Sorry but I'm not as thrilled about this offensive line as some. I'd like to see Beechum given a shot to start,he looked better than DD

SteelersCanada
01-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Protecting BB is one thing but piss poor run blocking is another. Sorry but I'm not as thrilled about this offensive line as some. I'd like to see Beechum given a shot to start,he looked better than DD

Oh give me a break. You can't be serious. DeCastro was working on a bum knee and was still playing like an absolute stud. He was pulling and protecting well. Granted, struggled against Geno Atkins, but Atkins is arguably the best DT in the entire league and expecting a rookie guard to perform well after just coming off of a serious ACL injury and to hold down the guard spot against someone of Atkins' caliber is ridiculous.

DeCastro looked like a stud in the limited amount of time we got to see him play. Beachum played well at RT and is an absolute surprise, but to say he outplayed DeCastro is a joke.

casteeler
01-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Oh give me a break. You can't be serious. DeCastro was working on a bum knee and was still playing like an absolute stud. He was pulling and protecting well. Granted, struggled against Geno Atkins, but Atkins is arguably the best DT in the entire league and expecting a rookie guard to perform well after just coming off of a serious ACL injury and to hold down the guard spot against someone of Atkins' caliber is ridiculous.

DeCastro looked like a stud in the limited amount of time we got to see him play. Beachum played well at RT and is an absolute surprise, but to say he outplayed DeCastro is a joke.

It didn't look like a joke to me.Alot of praise was given to Beechum and he deserved it. Who knows what the future holds for DD hopefully a great one but DD was bowled over on back to back plays that led to BB getting sacked. DD played like a rookie not a stud, you must be mistaken

teegre
01-24-2013, 08:35 AM

Yes.

Pouncey, DD, Adams, & Gilbert have yet to play together. And, they are young. I'd like to see how they work as a unit...

And, while I'm a Homer (very optimistic without much proof), the odds are that they'll be extremely good. Pouncey we know is good. DD played hot & cold as a ROOKIE: got eaten up by Atkins, but also blew a hole the size of a refrigerator through the defense on a goal-line TD run. Gilbert is Starks part II: okay at RT, good at LT. And, Adams was coming on stronger & stronger (as a ROOKIE), until the injury.

Lastly, The Colon (& his false starts) is gone. Beachum will be the starting LG... a move about which I'm excited.

teegre
01-24-2013, 08:38 AM
I found this mock. Now, bleacherreport tends to do a LOT of mocks (one per day), with a wide assortment of players being drafted in each version; so, take this with a grain of salt. Regardless, this is interesting.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1463276-pittsburgh-steelers-mock-draft-full-7-round-projections-at-regular-seasons-e/page/2

I find the following picks to be very good/interesting:

R1: Vaccaro, SS, Texas
I like Elam, but Vaccaro is 1-a. Thus, I am a fan of this pick.

R2: Ertz, TE, Stanford
I've asked: if the Steelers are planning on drafting a big WR, why not go for a TE instead? I've also averred that if Ertz drops to them in R2, he'd be difficult to pass on. This is a very intriguing pick.

R4: Hodges, LB, Penn St.
A player that many have mentioned.

R6: Carder, QB, Western Michigan
I like this pick... because, it's who I had the Steelers taking. Nowhere else have I seen Carder's name mentioned, let alone mentioned in connection with the Steelers. I'll take this as a "sign."

JackH
01-24-2013, 09:06 AM
I found this mock. Now, bleacherreport tends to do a LOT of mocks (one per day), with a wide assortment of players being drafted in each version; so, take this with a grain of salt. Regardless, this is interesting.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1463276-pittsburgh-steelers-mock-draft-full-7-round-projections-at-regular-seasons-e/page/2

I find the following picks to be very good/interesting:

R1: Vaccaro, SS, Texas
I like Elam, but Vaccaro is 1-a. Thus, I am a fan of this pick.

R2: Ertz, TE, Stanford
I've asked: if the Steelers are planning on drafting a big WR, why not go for a TE instead? I've also averred that if Ertz drops to them in R2, he'd be difficult to pass on. This is a very intriguing pick.

Ertz may not last to our pick in the 2nd round is my main concern. I said before I like him or Eifert (I can't really distinguish much between the two) as the Steelers first pick. Again, it may be possible to trade down somewhat in the first round to get one of these two. We probably would not be able to get Vaccaro or Elam in the 2nd round as it stands now, but we could get one of the other top guys.

But yeah I really Iike getting a safety and tight end if it's Ertz or Eifert with our first two picks. I believe Ertz or Eifert would contribute immediately. Either one is better than our tight end backups. Either would start if Heath isn't back to start the season. When Heath is back, we could and should run more two tight end plays, especially in the red zone. If we get Ertz or Eifert, a big WR is less of a concern.

Hawaii 5-0
01-24-2013, 09:18 PM

Desmond Trufant's draft stock soaring; Ezekiel Ansah too raw?

By Daniel Jeremiah
Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
Published: Jan. 24, 2013

MOBILE, Ala. -- Now that we are through three full days of Senior Bowl practices, it's time to single out a few players who have seen their draft stock rise or fall here:

Risers

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington: Trufant has been the top cornerback in Mobile. He has shown outstanding foot quickness, agility and ball skills. Most teams that I spoke with prior to the Senior Bowl had Trufant pegged as a middle-of-the-second-round-type player. Following three days of practice, nearly every personnel executive I spoke with considers him a likely first-round pick.

Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern: Williams quickly garnered the attention of NFL personnel during the weigh-ins, checking in at a whopping 341 pounds. He hasn't had any trouble using his size and strength to overpower opposing linemen in one-on-one pass-rush drills. However, his surprisingly nimble footwork is what has been most impressive. He is being talked about as a likely second-round pick.

Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas: Every time Goodwin lines up for a repetition in one-on-ones, there is a hush in the crowd. NFL evaluators have been intoxicated by his explosiveness off the line of scrimmage and ability to find another gear when the ball is in the air. He has been caught up in press coverage a few times this week, but his overall performance has left quite an impression on clubs in need of a home-run hitter at receiver.

Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech and Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State: I couldn't include one of these players without adding the other. Both Patton and Wheaton have been outstanding the entire week of practice. Patton is a little bit stronger than Wheaton, but they are both natural route-runners with incredible quickness. Both guys have made impressive catches on 50-50 balls, defeating cornerbacks with equal opportunities to make a play. Patton and Wheaton can play either inside or outside and should immediately contribute to the teams that draft them. These are plug-and-play-type talents.

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma: Central Michigan offensive tackle Eric Fisher has put together a dominant week of practice, but that was expected by most NFL evaluators. Johnson, on the other hand, didn't show up in Mobile with quite the same reputation. Through the first three days of practice, there aren't many NFL personnel men who consider Johnson anything other than a first-round talent. He's played both left and right tackle and handled opposing pass rushers with ease during the one-on-one pass-rush drills. He also has shown a nasty side in the run game.

Sliders

Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, DE, BYU: Ansah is one of the most physically gifted players in this draft class, but he showed this week that he still has a lot of developing to do. During pass-rush periods, he repeatedly tried to work through the numbers of the offensive tackle, but his bull rush was rarely effective. He flashed one inside-spin move, but otherwise was predictable and unsuccessful in his pass-rushing attempts. Some teams are concerned with what transpired this week, while others are still bullish on the incredible upside of the BYU defender.

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/0ap1000000130606/article/desmond-trufants-draft-stock-soaring-ezekiel-ansah-too-raw

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Desmond Trufant's draft stock soaring; Ezekiel Ansah too raw?

By Daniel Jeremiah
Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
Published: Jan. 24, 2013

MOBILE, Ala. -- Now that we are through three full days of Senior Bowl practices, it's time to single out a few players who have seen their draft stock rise or fall here:

Risers

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington: Trufant has been the top cornerback in Mobile. He has shown outstanding foot quickness, agility and ball skills. Most teams that I spoke with prior to the Senior Bowl had Trufant pegged as a middle-of-the-second-round-type player. Following three days of practice, nearly every personnel executive I spoke with considers him a likely first-round pick.

Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern: Williams quickly garnered the attention of NFL personnel during the weigh-ins, checking in at a whopping 341 pounds. He hasn't had any trouble using his size and strength to overpower opposing linemen in one-on-one pass-rush drills. However, his surprisingly nimble footwork is what has been most impressive. He is being talked about as a likely second-round pick.

Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas: Every time Goodwin lines up for a repetition in one-on-ones, there is a hush in the crowd. NFL evaluators have been intoxicated by his explosiveness off the line of scrimmage and ability to find another gear when the ball is in the air. He has been caught up in press coverage a few times this week, but his overall performance has left quite an impression on clubs in need of a home-run hitter at receiver.

Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech and Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State: I couldn't include one of these players without adding the other. Both Patton and Wheaton have been outstanding the entire week of practice. Patton is a little bit stronger than Wheaton, but they are both natural route-runners with incredible quickness. Both guys have made impressive catches on 50-50 balls, defeating cornerbacks with equal opportunities to make a play. Patton and Wheaton can play either inside or outside and should immediately contribute to the teams that draft them. These are plug-and-play-type talents.

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma: Central Michigan offensive tackle Eric Fisher has put together a dominant week of practice, but that was expected by most NFL evaluators. Johnson, on the other hand, didn't show up in Mobile with quite the same reputation. Through the first three days of practice, there aren't many NFL personnel men who consider Johnson anything other than a first-round talent. He's played both left and right tackle and handled opposing pass rushers with ease during the one-on-one pass-rush drills. He also has shown a nasty side in the run game.

Sliders

Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, DE, BYU: Ansah is one of the most physically gifted players in this draft class, but he showed this week that he still has a lot of developing to do. During pass-rush periods, he repeatedly tried to work through the numbers of the offensive tackle, but his bull rush was rarely effective. He flashed one inside-spin move, but otherwise was predictable and unsuccessful in his pass-rushing attempts. Some teams are concerned with what transpired this week, while others are still bullish on the incredible upside of the BYU defender.

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/0ap1000000130606/article/desmond-trufants-draft-stock-soaring-ezekiel-ansah-too-raw

Yeah I've seem similar articles on bleacher report and sbnation. Like I've said in the war room on the wr thread I really like Goodwin and Patton before the senior bowl. But Goodwin is a slot guy and that's what he will be in the nfl also a great return guy, but we have our slot guy in sanders so it really wouldn't fit a need if drafted.

I've love Patton all long during the football season, banks one of the best cb in the draft said he was the best receiver he faced, and he is showing his ability at the senior bowl. Although I love him and think he will be great in the next level, he is only 6 foot and I think a lot of us want a 6-2 to 6-4 guy on the other side of brown. But all in all he has the ability and I wouldn't be mad if Quitton "the general" Patton was a steeler.

kan_t
01-31-2013, 04:25 AM
Javis Jones
Dion Jordan
Barkevious Mingo
Ezekiel Ansah
Kenny Vaccaro
Matt Elam

How do you rank them? Just wonder. Javis Jones is clear #1 for me but after that I couldn't decide.

wwhickok
01-31-2013, 05:27 AM
Javis Jones
Dion Jordan
Barkevious Mingo
Ezekiel Ansah
Kenny Vaccaro
Matt Elam

How do you rank them? Just wonder. Javis Jones is clear #1 for me but after that I couldn't decide.

For me, I put Vaccaro and Elam over Dion Jordan, I am just not that high on Jordan.

teegre
01-31-2013, 08:25 AM
Javis Jones
Dion Jordan
Barkevious Mingo
Ezekiel Ansah
Kenny Vaccaro
Matt Elam

I really want a safety. This defense has been elite, when it has had a great safety (or two).

Wagner & Shell
Lake & Perry
Polamalu & Hope
Polamslu & Clark

Thus, my preference is Elam, with Vaccaro being 1-a.

Sure, this is the "draft of the safety" (there are about ten safeties that will go in the first three rounds)... but, I want an elite safety. Ergo, again, Elam (or Vaccaro).

That said, last season, the thing most needed on this team was a pass-rush. Thus, I am not at all against a pass-rusher.

PhantomJB93
02-01-2013, 01:56 AM
Javis Jones
Dion Jordan
Barkevious Mingo
Ezekiel Ansah
Kenny Vaccaro
Matt Elam

Jones
Vacarro
Jordan
Ansah
Elam
Mingo

cbrunn
02-01-2013, 06:16 AM
Javis Jones
Dion Jordan
Barkevious Mingo
Ezekiel Ansah
Kenny Vaccaro
Matt Elam

Jones
Mingo - Know in college it didn't show but he is a stand up guy only NOT a 4-3 end
Ansah
Phillip Thomas
Elam
Bacarri Rambo
David Amerson
Okafor
Vaccaro
Jordan

I would absolutely LOVE a safety combo of any of those 4, yes I know Rambo and Amerson wouldn't be ideal because none is a in the box tackler but they would make "Splash" plays ... But don't it would happen

Steel95
02-02-2013, 02:25 AM
Justin Hunter - WR Tennessee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7NcinFjtL0

Take a look at this guy; if he hadn't injured his knee, he would have been a top 10 pick. This kid is fast! He also seems to have a nice attitude as well. If he's there at 17? Most draft boards have the Steelers taking him in the 2nd, he will not last that long at all.

teegre
02-02-2013, 02:49 AM
Jones
Mingo - Know in college it didn't show but he is a stand up guy only NOT a 4-3 end
Ansah
Phillip Thomas
Elam
Bacarri Rambo
David Amerson
Okafor
Vaccaro
Jordan

I would absolutely LOVE a safety combo of any of those 4, yes I know Rambo and Amerson wouldn't be ideal because none is a in the box tackler but they would make "Splash" plays ... But don't it would happen

A friend told me that he's been hearing the Steelers linked to Bacarri Rambo (in R3). Did they interview him at the Senior Bowl? Has anyone else heard anything? Anyone adept at Googling such stuff?

Because, with Rambo's drug suspension, I had him off of the list.

Everyone knows I like Elam (& Vaccaro)... but, if they went Rambo in R3, that would leave a lot of options for R1... such as Tavon Austin (I know, I know... just kidding). Actually, if I had MY way, I'd take Elam AND Rambo.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-02-2013, 03:12 AM
A friend told me that he's been hearing the Steelers linked to Bacarri Rambo (in R3). Did they interview him at the Senior Bowl? Has anyone else heard anything? Anyone adept at Googling such stuff?

Everyone knows I like Elam (& Vaccaro)... but, if they went Rambo in R3, that would leave a lot of options for R1... such as Tavon Austin (I know, I know... just kidding). Actually, if I had MY way, I'd take Elam AND Rambo.

Yeah I don't know about that. I thought I read something that the steelers are looking for good character guys to fill the locker room.

If we went safety I would want vaccaro first than Elam anyone else really wouldn't excite me to much until they develope.

cbrunn
02-02-2013, 06:13 AM

Only thing I can find is a Steelers Depot article , but nothing that says they interviewed him or not...

That only problem I see with taking him in the 3rd, is I think he's gone in the end of the 2nd to the Ravens ... he would be the perfect fit to learn from Ed Reed for a year, or step right in and play and do sort of what Ed does(if Ed Retires)...

This whole draft scares me ... I see the Ravens and Bengals hitting home runs in this draft ...

the Ravens are in the perfect spot to take , Kevin Minter to replace Ray Lewis and Bacarri Rambo to replace Ed Reed :banging:

the Bengals are in perfect spots with 3 picks in the top 53 picks :banging:

cbrunn
02-02-2013, 06:16 AM
Justin Hunter - WR Tennessee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7NcinFjtL0

Take a look at this guy; if he hadn't injured his knee, he would have been a top 10 pick. This kid is fast! He also seems to have a nice attitude as well. If he's there at 17? Most draft boards have the Steelers taking him in the 2nd, he will not last that long at all.

I LOVE Hunter, He was ugaurdable before that injury, and going into the 2nd year it should be getting to 100% and should be able to get back to that form ... and I agree he will not make it out of the back half of the 1st

teegre
02-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Yeah I don't know about that. I thought I read something that the steelers are looking for good character guys to fill the locker room.

If we went safety I would want vaccaro first than Elam anyone else really wouldn't excite me to much until they develope.

Yeah... hmmm. This dude is usually really spot-on (eerily good at hearing "inside info"). But, I agree with you: the only thing that I have heard or read was that Pittsburgh is looking to draft character guys.

For me it's Elam, then Vaccaro as 1-a... and then everyone else is a distant second. BUT, I would love to see a tandem drafted (Elam & Rambo; Vaccaro & Thomas) to develop together over the next decade. Make sense?

cbrunn,
I agree. I fear that the Ravens & Taperiots are going to land my two favorite players: Elam & Tavon Austin. And, absolutely, the one year to have multiple high picks is this year; thus, the Bengals are going to get good really quickly.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Yeah... hmmm. This dude is usually really spot-on (eerily good at hearing "inside info"). But, I agree with you: the only thing that I have heard or read was that Pittsburgh is looking to draft character guys.

For me it's Elam, then Vaccaro as 1-a... and then everyone else is a distant second. BUT, I would love to see a tandem drafted (Elam & Rambo; Vaccaro & Thomas) to develop together over the next decade. Make sense?

cbrunn,
I agree. I fear that the Ravens & Taperiots are going to land my two favorite players: Elam & Tavon Austin. And, absolutely, the one year to have multiple high picks is this year; thus, the Bengals are going to get good really quickly.

Yeah I'm not discrediting your buddy, just saying I thought and hope they go after good character guys ( which is hard to find any college players without something attach to them )

Ed reed was rumored and said this Super Bowl week he wouldn't mind playing for the pats for a year or two. I don't think he will be back, so look for the ravens to replace reed and Lewis via draft which should be there top two priorities.

I've actually ventured over to other AFC north message boards and it seems like th bengals and ravens fans are targeting all the guys we have been. And have the same needs ESP the bengals. There fans see safety, linebacker, wr, rb as there biggest needs. So this draft I could see a lot of guys we all want go to AFC north teams.

StevieRayVol
02-04-2013, 12:33 AM
I LOVE Hunter, He was ugaurdable before that injury, and going into the 2nd year it should be getting to 100% and should be able to get back to that form ... and I agree he will not make it out of the back half of the 1st

I have watched Justin Hunter since he came to UT from the state of Virginia. Great, Great athlete..So much so if he hadn't gotten hurt against Florida in 2011 he would have competed in the 2012 Olympics...That was the plan. He's that great of a sprinter and high jumper. Charlie Baggett compared him to Randy Moss when he coached Wr's at UT having coached Moss with the Vikings...That being said...Hunter knew he was leaving to go the the NFL ( he has a kid) and I think the knee injury was in the back of his mind..He dropped SEVERAL passes this year that hit him right in the hands..or alligator armed a few...He will test of the charts at the combine and it usually takes two years to come back from the knee injury he suffered...

Patterson on the other hand...:chuckle: Is just a pure football player...Didn't even know the playbook and was the first UT player in over 20 years ( Carl Pickens was the last to do it) score a TD four different ways..Receiving, rushing, punt return and kickoff return...The guy is 6'3" and 210...is very fast and I never saw anyone get a clean shot at him..." HE JUKES AND DARTS WHILE HE IS RUNNING AND NEVER LOSES SPEED"...I'd be happy with either one..

Hawaii 5-0
02-07-2013, 11:48 PM
Ansah and Hankins mocked to Steelers by Kiper and McShay

By seton hall and steelers on Feb 7

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/7824667/158607340.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Mel Kiper and Todd McShay recently updated their mock drafts and both have the Steelers taking defensive players. Kiper, like in his last mock, has the Steelers taking the talented pass rushing defensive end Ezekiel Ansah. McShay has the Steelers continuing their Ohio State tradition and taking Johnathan Hankins.

Kiper has mocked Ezekial Ansah to the Steelers two times in a row and it certainly is an interesting pick. Ansah is an unbelievable athlete who is an incredible pass rusher but at 275 pounds, can he stand up and play outside linebacker? The answer is probably no but with the Steelers using their nickel formation much more, Ansah would be able to come in and be a pass rushing force right away. However, he does not fit the Steelers draft strategy of taking juniors in the first round, as the Steelers have done in six of the past seven years.

McShay on the other hand, has the Steelers following their trends and taking the talented Ohio State defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins. Hankins has had a very good college career and has consistently taken on double teams. He does not rush the passer much but he is capable of doing it. He is a guy who could probably play five out of every six downs while taking every other third down off. He sometimes looked fatigue when playing all three downs the whole game and therefore, he would take some plays off when he knew his job was to rush the passer. He would be able to come in and compete for the starting nose tackle job right away.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/2/7/3965194/ansah-and-hankins-mocked-to-steelers-by-kiper-and-mcshay

teegre
02-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Hawaii,
I like YOUR mock

Elam AND Austin. You are trying to get on my good side, aren't you?

All year, those were the two players they I wanted most. That would make my decade (draft-wise that is).

Then, if a RB is taken, Gillislee is probably the best choice IMO (although, I am still gung-ho about taking a shot at Lattimore).

Sean Porter just adds a cherry to the sundae.

NOTE: The only thing I could wish more for would be one of the Aztecs in R3: Leon McFadden or Gavin Escobar... followed by Lattimore in R4. BUT, I get the Gillislee pick (and, I like the Porter pick); so, I'll take YOUR mock & be very happy.

JackH
02-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Hawaii,
I like YOUR mock

Elam AND Austin. You are trying to get on my good side, aren't you?

All year, those were the two players they I wanted most. That would make my decade (draft-wise that is).

Then, if a RB is taken, Gillislee is probably the best choice IMO (although, I am still gung-ho about taking a shot at Lattimore).

Sean Porter just adds a cherry to the sundae.

NOTE: The only thing I could wish more for would be one of the Aztecs in R3: Leon McFadden or Gavin Escobar... followed by Lattimore in R4. BUT, I get the Gillislee pick (and, I like the Porter pick); so, I'll take YOUR mock & be very happy.

Makes sense to me, his draft and what you said. Although I still like Eifert or Ertz early in the draft as my preference, but I'd be happy with what you two guys are saying, which addresses most needs in one way or another.

Yeah, we need a QB like Dysert or somebody late in the draft. If nothing else, so we have somebody on the practice squad. The Steelers don't want to have to go looking for somebody during the season like this year.

teegre
02-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Makes sense to me, his draft and what you said. Although I still like Eifert or Ertz early in the draft as my preference, but I'd be happy with what you two guys are saying, which addresses most needs in one way or another.

Yeah, we need a QB like Dysert or somebody late in the draft. If nothing else, so we have somebody on the practice squad. The Steelers don't want to have to go looking for somebody during the season like this year.

GIVE ME AN"E"
Eifert, Ertz... or, Escobar.

BACK-UP QB
This is not the year to draft a back-up, but AGREED: a back-up is indeed needed. Dysert is alright; I like Alex Carder.

teegre
02-08-2013, 11:13 AM
After watching the SuperBowl, and more importantly, listening to the analysts discussing the SuperBowl (beforehand & afterwards), a common theme emerged from all of the talking heads: O-line.

The talked about how the Ravens shuffled their O-line, and that their O-line dominated the post-season. Likewise, before the big game, the analysts were talking about how the Niners had a great O-line (full of R1 picks), which allowed them to do many things on offense.

Now, I know that the main four (Pouncey, DD, Adams, & Gilbert) have not yet played a snap together, and that this O-line ALREADY has the potential to be extremely good. And, I know that everyone is high on Beachum (myself included)... but, considering that BB has 3-5 years left... and considering that the AFC is weak right now... and considering that the "elite" QBs are old & the up-&-coming QBs are not quite "there" yet... why not take the short right now???

Draft Chance Warmack.

Make sure that the O-line is not only extremely good; make sure that it is dominant... elite... the BEST in the entire NFL.

It hurts me, because I had my hopes on acquiring Elam... but, if the defense can wait one more year with Troy & Ryan, while the offense (finally) lives up to its potential, then I think there is a really great shot at #7 next season. Plus, this is a deep, deep draft at safety; a good (but not great) safety can be drafted in R4 (let alone R2 & R3).

What are everyone's thoughts?

JackH
02-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Draft Chance Warmack.

What are everyone's thoughts?

He is the number one guard in the draft and likely to go before the Steelers pick, so say most mock drafts. But then, that's what everybody thought about DeCastro last year. If he is there when the Steelers pick, he's the best player available, so yeah, take him.

Your rationale makes good sense to me. The better the OL is, the better are the chances Ben stays healthy. As Ben goes, so go the Steelers. That's rather obvious from the last two seasons when he was injured, and in my opinion, not fully recovered at the end of the season. Yeah, I had a fractured rib. It took two months for me to get back to normal.

teegre
02-08-2013, 11:00 PM
He is the number one guard in the draft and likely to go before the Steelers pick, so say most mock drafts. But then, that's what everybody thought about DeCastro last year. If he is there when the Steelers pick, he's the best player available, so yeah, take him.

Your rationale makes good sense to me. The better the OL is, the better are the chances Ben stays healthy. As Ben goes, so go the Steelers. That's rather obvious from the last two seasons when he was injured, and in my opinion, not fully recovered at the end of the season. Yeah, I had a fractured rib. It took two months for me to get back to normal.

True.

He "should" go to the NYJets. He "should" go to the Titans. He "should" go to the Chargers. He "should" go to the Rams.

But, if he's there, I gotta think that he'd be the BAP. Even though Elam is "my guy", I am more & more leaning towards taking Warmack. With that monster of an O-line, ANY running back should be able to average 4+ yards per carry.

Plus... there's that BB guy to protect & stuff.

Really though, since BB would have 4-5 untarnished seconds (sometimes 7 seconds) to scan the field, the sacks would decrease, and in turn, he stays HEALTHY for the play-offs.

Good-bye, Elam. Hello, Warmack.

JackH
02-10-2013, 09:03 AM
True.

He "should" go to the NYJets. He "should" go to the Titans. He "should" go to the Chargers. He "should" go to the Rams.

But, if he's there, I gotta think that he'd be the BAP. Even though Elam is "my guy", I am more & more leaning towards taking Warmack. With that monster of an O-line, ANY running back should be able to average 4+ yards per carry.

Plus... there's that BB guy to protect & stuff.

Really though, since BB would have 4-5 untarnished seconds (sometimes 7 seconds) to scan the field, the sacks would decrease, and in turn, he stays HEALTHY for the play-offs.

Good-bye, Elam. Hello, Warmack.

If the Steelers did get Warmack, that would make the new OL coach Bicknell a genius real quick. And whoever is feature back a 1,000 yard guy.

That play where Ben got hurt against KC was about 8 seconds per my count. He was 4-5 secs in the shotgun, couldn't find anybody, and moved up a couple yards and got sandwiched. I can't understand why Wille Colon didn't hold. I mean, that's his favorite move.

You got me talked into Warmack. No question in my mind the Steelers should take him if he's there at #17. He'd be playing Colon's position, right? What an improvement that would be.

pete74
02-10-2013, 10:28 AM
No way will we take an offensive lineman regardless of who is there. I gurentee it. Pouncey will be the highest paid center after this season plus we have Gilbert, Adams and DeCastro. We would have to cut our entire defense if we want to put that much money into our line. You can't expect to win in the NFL with all first and second round picks on your line. It will cost to much and kill the rest of the team. If you can'tdevelop later round picks on the line then our coaches are not very good

teegre
02-10-2013, 11:48 AM
No way will we take an offensive lineman regardless of who is there. I gurentee it. Pouncey will be the highest paid center after this season plus we have Gilbert, Adams and DeCastro. We would have to cut our entire defense if we want to put that much money into our line. You can't expect to win in the NFL with all first and second round picks on your line. It will cost to much and kill the rest of the team. If you can'tdevelop later round picks on the line then our coaches are not very good

As I was discussing in another threat.

1) No matter who one drafts, you are eventually going to have to pay them.

2) That is not such a bad problem to have (having five Pro-Bowl level O-linemen) to "have" to pay.

3) Why not have a lot of money invested in O-line??? Teams invest in RBs and WRs... why not O-lienmen? If they make BB better, and BB is the key to Lombardis, then I say attribute a lot of money to O-line.

4) Having to pay O-linemen is $4-5 million... whereas, WRs and RBs are $9-10 million. It would not cost as much as one would think (about $24 million).

5) The Steelers can cross that bridge (pay them or draft replacements) when they come to it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: No matter where an O-lineman is drafted, if one happens upon a great one, even in R7, that lineman WILL get paid. See: Carl Nicks. Thus, I would rather have a great O-lineman now... and worry about paying him his huge contract later.

SUMMATION:
Pouncey will be paid now. Gilbert in four years. Adams & DD in three years. (And, Warmack in five years.) That means that the Steelers would not have any "cap issues" (ie having to pay these guys huge contracts) for three more seasons. And then, again, either pay them or draft replacements. But, in the meantime, the Steelers would have the MOST DOMINANT O-line for three years.

JackH
02-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Excellent article in the Post Gazette today entitled "The O-line: Changes in store" by Gerry Dulac. I get the paper but I see the article is online so here's the link, if I do it right:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sunday-spotlight-the-offensive-line-changes-in-store-674173/

In my opinion, Warmack would make an immediate impact for the better on the Steelers offense in a variety of ways, if we could get him. I don't think you can say that about many other players in this draft. We might see a bunch of teams who pick ahead of the Steelers take a chance on unknown quantities, like QBs. Warmack looks like a sure thing.

lloydwoodson
02-11-2013, 03:30 AM
As I was discussing in another threat.

3) Why not have a lot of money invested in O-line??? Teams invest in RBs and WRs... why not O-lienmen? If they make BB better, and BB is the key to Lombardis, then I say attribute a lot of money to O-line.

4) Having to pay O-linemen is $4-5 million... whereas, WRs and RBs are $9-10 million. It would not cost as much as one would think (about $24 million).

I like these points because I believe the Steelers have been spending high draft picks on cheap positions on purpose. Pouncey C, DeCastro G, Hood and Heyward 3-4 DE are all cheap positions. It is possible that it is coincidence that these players were drafted without regards to salary but I think it is really smart to spend high picks on players you can afford to keep around for ten years. Sucks for Heyward and Hood because they would be paid a lot more in a 4-3.

Hawaii 5-0
02-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Ed: Scratch Ogletree as Possible Steelers Pick

MONDAY, 18 FEBRUARY 2013 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- Scratch Alec Ogletree of the list of candidates to be drafted by the Steelers in the first round. With all the trouble they had with last year’s rookie class, there is no way they will draft this kid.

From CBSSports.com:

Linebacker Alec Ogletree, who led Georgia with 111 tackles despite being suspended for four games, recently was arrested for allegedly driving under the influence, according to his agent.

The projected first-round pick “was pulled over for speeding and a lane violation in Arizona,” agent Pat Dye Jr. told Profootballtalk.com. “After the officers smelled alcohol, they conducted tests and also cited him for DUI. Although Alec regrets this incident terribly, he is thankful that there was no accident and that no one was hurt. Because this matter is still pending, we cannot comment further publicly at this time.”

Ogletree (6-3, 237) announced he'd enter the draft after making a team-high 13 tackles in the win over Nebraska in the Capital One Bowl.

Coach Mark Richt suspended Ogletree for the first four games of 2012 because he failed drug tests during spring practice. Ogletree also was arrested for the theft of a Georgia track athlete's motorcycle helmet in September 2010 and was suspended for his first college game.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119910-ed-scratch-ogletree-as-possible-steelers-pick

SteelersCanada
02-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Makes sense, Ed. They're going to keep around Ta'amu after what he did, but they're scratching him off their board.

This is why I don't like Ed.

Hawaii 5-0
02-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Tony Pauline
‏@TonyPauline via twitter:

Word is the Pittsbugh Steelers drooling over Ezekial Ansah/BYU as a 3-4 OLB

https://twitter.com/TonyPauline/status/305033241105141760

kan_t
02-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Tony Pauline

A great pick if he's available at 17.

teegre
02-23-2013, 01:00 AM
Tony Pauline

This always happens. The Steelers talk up a guy... and then, he gets drafted by another team.

The Steelers loved a safety from Miami, and talked about how impressive he was at his combine interview... so much so, that the Ravens took him.

The Steelers were talking about Brandon Albert (when no one else was)... and the Chiefs took him. This doesn't bug me because Albert got taken (he was average); it bugs me, because if the Steelers had gone Albert in R1, they probably go Ray Rice in R2 (instead of Spinny & Sweed).

Lastly, Tomlin fell in love with a local CB... and those stinking NYJets traded up & stole him away.

teegre
02-23-2013, 01:03 AM
A great pick if he's available at 17.

Please, explain why.

I am truly asking, because I've not seem any of his games.

[Mel Kiper had him mocked to the Steelers a month ago... so, looks like Mel knew something.]

kan_t
02-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Please, explain why.

[Mel Kiper had him mocked to the Steelers a month ago... so, looks like Mel knew something.]

Super high upside but very raw. Started playing football in 2010. People compare him to JPP. He can be a playmaker that the Steelers need.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Super high upside but very raw. Started playing football in 2010. People compare him to JPP. He can be a playmaker that the Steelers need.

the thing is how old is he? I heard he is around the age of 25 pretty old for a rookie

kan_t
02-23-2013, 12:57 PM
the thing is how old is he? I heard he is around the age of 25 pretty old for a rookie
He's 23 and will be 24 this year. He's definitely old when you compare him to other rookie. But he only plays football for 3 years so it's reasonable to think that he still gets a lot of rooms to improve.

He's not my first choice, but I'm happy if the Steelers pick him at 17.

SteelersCanada
02-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Please, explain why.

He's a freak. He's strong, fast, explosive off the line of scrimmage and has a great first step. However, he's raw. It'll take some time for him to develop into the kind of player he has the potential to be, but when he hits that potential - look out. He needs to improve his technique but I think Butler would coach him up.

He's a similar athlete and freak to JPP, but I'm hesitant to compare anyone to him. JPP coming out of college was an absolute monster. Ansah lacks the production that Pierre had coming out of the collegiate level, but he has a similar upside and ceiling. With the right coaching, he could be a JPP-type player on the outside for us.

Hawaii 5-0
02-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Robinson: Steelers have no room for error in ’13 draft

By Tribune-Review
Published: Saturday, February 23, 2013

Eddie Lacy might be everything the Steelers want in a running back. Powerful enough. Fast enough, Maybe even big enough — he's somewhat reminiscent of an in-his-prime Barry Foster.

Even if, as the 5-foot-10, 220-pound Lacy acknowledges with a remorseful look that says he's been enjoying mama's cooking since the season ended, “A pound or three” overweight.

It hasn't affected his elusiveness.

As the Alabama star ended his NFL Scouting Combine news conference, the No. 1 running back on the draft board sidestepped questions about the Steelers' interest in him. He wouldn't mind playing in a Ben Roethlisberger-led offense but, then again, he said, “I wouldn't mind playing in anyone's offense.”

He dodged all the pertinent questions as easily as he shed Notre Dame's defenders.

“I'm good at avoiding,” he said, laughing, as an NFL-appointed handler escorted him away from the few reporters still trailing him.

In a few short weeks, the Steelers might not be able to avoid drafting a running back — and maybe very, very early in the draft. If they decide that a running back is their No. 1 priority, they might not be able to avoid drafting Lacy.

The April 25-27 draft is shaping up to be the most difficult to handicap in years regarding the Steelers, if only because they have across-the-board needs: A running back, a backup quarterback, more help on the offensive line, a deep-threat wide receiver, a pass rusher, inside and outside linebackers who can play soon, another safety who might soon replace aging Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark.

The list is too long to be addressed in a single draft, or in one free-agent class, by a team with precious little wiggle room financially.

So is this their most important draft since perhaps the start of the Bill Cowher era more than 20 years ago? Quite likely, it is.

General manager Kevin Colbert won't begin to call this a rebuilding or retooling mode; he and the Steelers are gambling their 8-8 record in 2012 was an injury- and adversity-fueled anomaly that won't repeat itself in 2013.

Regardless, they simply cannot miss in this draft. It might determine whether the Steelers remain the Steelers, or whether they begin an uncharacteristic but unavoidable backslide that occurred because they simply didn't replace all the stars who finally became too old, too unproductive, too undependable.

They need a game-changing player or two, not just a complementary piece here and there, and that's what Lacy could be.

While it helped he played for the nation's 33rd-best football team (and, given the state of the Raiders, maybe the 32nd), Lacy could be a force in the NFL. He ran for 1,322 yards, a 6.5 average and 17 touchdowns in the nation's toughest college conference, and he tore up Notre Dame in the BCS title game. He could be just what the Steelers need to re-energize a running game badly in need of a back who causes worry to opposing defensive coordinators.

“If I hadn't done so good (running for 140 yards and a TD against Notre Dame), I don't know if I'd be in the position I'm in,” Lacy said.

And if the Steelers had drafted better, their running game might not be in its current crisis state.

Lacy might be one of multiple good options for the Steelers on the night of April 25. Some others as the NFL Scouting Combine winds down and all the information gathered during America's only nationally televised job interview is evaluated:

• Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee. Virtually no one knew about him a year ago, after he transferred from Hutchinson (Kansas) Community College. But he quickly developed into a deep-threat receiver who could prove to be the natural replacement for Mike Wallace. He's also a kick returner, which might be a bonus for a team that recently shed Chris Rainey. He has great speed but lacks experience and polish, something new wide receivers coach Richard Mann could supply. Asked to identify his three biggest assets, he said, “Speed. Catching. Scoring.” Can't ask for much more than that.

• Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia. Looking for James Harrison's replacement? He might be the guy. Jones had 141⁄2 sacks last season, and he might be a top-five pick if it weren't for a spinal issue that has some teams concerned.

• Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia. A DUI raised doubts about his judgment. There's no doubt he can play. It's a slip-up that could cause him to slip to the Steelers.

• Xavier Rhodes, DB, Florida State. If the Steelers can't re-sign Keenan Lewis, this position takes on a much-higher priority.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3508772-74/steelers-running-draft#ixzz2Lpyzi7wn