PDA

View Full Version : Lovie Smith Fired - Let's Grab Him as Defensive Coordinator

SteelersCanada
12-31-2012, 10:48 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000119943/article/lovie-smith-fired-by-chicago-bears

Lovie Smith was just let go by the Bears and I think it would be absolutely fantastic to bring him here and let him work with the talent we already have here and build the new guys we're going to be drafting. He's been a head coach for nine years, but with the recent flux of guys coming from the collegiate level and taking their shots at the NFL. I think he's going to be available to us - should we want him - for our defense.

I'd love to have Tomlin, Haley and Lovie Smith as our coaches and coordinators and this team could finally live up to it's potential on both sides of the ball. Haley can adjust his gameplan a little bit and Lovie could play an aggressive, attacking style defense that would generate turnovers.

I think we let Keith take calls from other teams to be their DC and we let LeBeau walk away from football. It's time to move on and move past these two.

NSMaster56
12-31-2012, 10:53 AM
If LeBeau decided to retire Lovie would be a great replacement, but the D is still great and if Dick wants to stick around then let him.

It's not hurting the team.

Millers the sh!t
12-31-2012, 10:56 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. We've had tons of fantastic seasons with Lebeau. Hell be back next year for a last I believe then his protege will take over.

I think lovie, will stay in the NFC North. Maybe HC in Detroit or DC in Green Bay or Minn.

Lady Steel
12-31-2012, 11:01 AM
we let LeBeau walk away from football.

No. Just no. Not until he's ready. He's what? 75-76 years old. You trying to give the poor guy a heart attack?

Fire Haley
12-31-2012, 11:04 AM
Fire Haley!

Hire Norv!

fansince'76
12-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Fire Haley!

Hire Norv!

This one I could actually get on board with.

Ricco Suavez
12-31-2012, 11:14 AM
I would be torn to just let LeBeau go, I mean he is the coach of a top notch unit, viewed by many experts as one of the best to coach defense. On the other hand I wonder often how much longer he is planning to stay, and to top it off Butler has been loyal to the point of refusing other offers. (I wonder what the Steelers have told Butler about the job when it comes open). I have posted that I believe the biggest shortcoming of our defense if its lack of turnovers and actual scoring plays, the Bears have excelled at both in years past. Now, in defense of LeBeaus style of defense, he may feel that we do not have the people in place to play such a defense and thus by playing more conservative we are more effective. If LeBeau wants to stay I say stay, at least until he shows he has lost control of the game.

Quackjack
12-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Only if Lebeau retires.

casteeler
12-31-2012, 11:41 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000119943/article/lovie-smith-fired-by-chicago-bears

Lovie Smith was just let go by the Bears and I think it would be absolutely fantastic to bring him here and let him work with the talent we already have here and build the new guys we're going to be drafting. He's been a head coach for nine years, but with the recent flux of guys coming from the collegiate level and taking their shots at the NFL. I think he's going to be available to us - should we want him - for our defense.

I'd love to have Tomlin, Haley and Lovie Smith as our coaches and coordinators and this team could finally live up to it's potential on both sides of the ball. Haley can adjust his gameplan a little bit and Lovie could play an aggressive, attacking style defense that would generate turnovers.

I think we let Keith take calls from other teams to be their DC and we let LeBeau walk away from football. It's time to move on and move past these two.

So let me get this straight. You want to replace the only coach that did a decent job this season? This is worse than the Ben threads

SteelersCanada
12-31-2012, 11:56 AM
So let me get this straight. You want to replace the only coach that did a decent job this season? This is worse than the Ben threads

If he doesn't want to come back, then absolutely. I have no faith in Butler because he hasn't done anything. I'm not saying fire LeBeau, I'm saying if he decides that he doesn't want to come back then we should let him leave and bring in Smith.

Easy, buddy. Don't get so worked up.

pete74
12-31-2012, 12:11 PM
No way. When BL retires I want kieth to be our DC so he can follow Lebeau tradition

TRH
12-31-2012, 12:53 PM
LeBeau already said he's coming back. He does what he wants and NOBODY in this organization steps in his way.
We'll only start looking after he's gone.

LayingTheWoodley56
12-31-2012, 02:08 PM
What is with these people calling for Lebeau's head? My lord, the problem was not with this defense this year. We finished number one overall AGAIN, for chrissakes. We lost to the Bengals in a game where they did absolutely nothing on offense, 13-10. Lebeau can run the D for as long as he wants.

Fire Haley
12-31-2012, 02:15 PM
What is with these people calling for Lebeau's head? .

With Arians and William Gay gone the haters need a new scapegoat.

kent
12-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Pat Shurmur for OC!!!

NSMaster56
12-31-2012, 02:24 PM
What is with these people calling for Lebeau's head? My lord, the problem was not with this defense this year. We finished number one overall AGAIN, for chrissakes. We lost to the Bengals in a game where they did absolutely nothing on offense, 13-10.

AND the 13-10 BAL loss due to the PR TD...

AND the TEN loss where the blocked punt led to a gimme TD...

AND only 20 points allowed to CLE despite 8 TO's...

AND the DAL loss where the PR fumble and Ben INT led to 10 DAL points...

The D is an oak, on top of a rock and encased in carbonite; and it's because of LeBeau.

SteelersCanada
12-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Where am I calling for his head? I realize I worded my original post poorly, but he's made his intentions clear on coming back - for better or worse. I just feel his defense, as statistically dominate as it was, needs to be updated and upgraded. Making Rivers look like Brady was unacceptable. Why do we play 7 yards off the receiver and concede the short gains? Why don't we attack and play an aggressive defense and occasionally give up the big play if it means more turnovers and sacks?

My biggest issue with this defense is LeBeau's inability to use Timmons effectively. When he's used effectively, he gets sacks. He can't be stopped when he blitzes and constantly disrupts the line. This can be credited to Foote being old and incapable of covering, but if that's the case, why is he on this team?

People have figured out this defense and it's starting to show. The fact we gave up 300+ to Tony Romo - regardless of whether Ike was in or not - is a problem. Our entire defense can't be built around a Safety passed his prime anymore. Adjustments need to be made and this defense needs to be updated and upgraded. We have the talent, we're just not using effectively.

I wouldn't be upset if he came back. I also wouldn't be upset if we brought in Lovie Smith to help this defense become a more cohesive unit that can create turnovers and get sacks. The fact that we're incapable of doing this with the talent we have is inexcusable. That doesn't fall on Tomlin, that falls directly on LeBeau. What if next year isn't any different? Does anything change then?

sloppyjoe
12-31-2012, 02:43 PM
i thought the idea was to improve this team

VaDave
12-31-2012, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say Butler hasn't done anything, but since you did, how about quantifying that comment?

GMU Steeler
12-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Wouldn't really fit our scheme. That's why I prefer keeping LeBeau or if he must leave, Butler. Anyhow. I think our problem is execution on the field more than coaching. We're not really getting killed in losses with some exceptions. One thing that we need to get better at though is beating inferior teams. I don't expect 50 point wins but I would like us to handle weaker teams with more ease.

SteelersCanada
12-31-2012, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say Butler hasn't done anything, but since you did, how about quantifying that comment?

He's failed to develop Jason Worilds and Chris Carter. Both are now wasted picks and we have to again spend high draft picks on an outside Linebacker to play opposite Woodley. Instead of addressing Safety in the first round of this draft, we're going to have to now draft someone like Jordan, Okafor or Van Noy and start over.

While it might be unfair to say he "hasn't done anything", he hasn't accomplished nearly the same amount of things that Lovie Smith has done and accomplished. Butler hasn't shown he can be a defensive coordinator in the NFL, and Lovie Smith has shown he can - successfully. He can also take his teams defense to number one in defensive touchdowns.

PhantomJB93
12-31-2012, 04:53 PM
I still don't understand people classify Worilds as a wasted pick. Or Chris Carter after one season. Just because they didn't come in and immediately play at an All-Pro level and unseat Harrison doesn't mean they're busts.

Worilds was second on the team in sacks with 5, one behind Harrison and Timmons and one more than Woodley, and that was with limited playing time and maybe half a season or less of starts (IDK the number off the top of my head).

Anyway, IDK how Lovie would do as a DC since he seems to specialize in the 4-3. I'd trust him with a 3-4 but it's no guarantee and I only consider bringing him in if Lebeau retires.

SteelersCanada
12-31-2012, 04:59 PM
I still don't understand people classify Worilds as a wasted pick. Or Chris Carter after one season. Just because they didn't come in and immediately play at an All-Pro level and unseat Harrison doesn't mean they're busts.

Worilds was second on the team in sacks with 5, one behind Harrison and Timmons and one more than Woodley, and that was with limited playing time and maybe half a season or less of starts (IDK the number off the top of my head).

Anyway, IDK how Lovie would do as a DC since he seems to specialize in the 4-3. I'd trust him with a 3-4 but it's no guarantee and I only consider bringing him in if Lebeau retires.

He got 5 sacks playing as the LOLB, or Woodley's position. Have you seen him line up as the ROLB? He's useless. He's utterly useless. So, we have one great LOLB who struggled with injuries and weight - which is inexcusable, by the way - and one that's decent enough as a backup. Great, we don't have a ROLB to line up behind, and now replace Harrison and that's a situation that needs fixing.

He specializes in the 4-3, but I feel sure he could do fine in a 3-4 ZB scheme. That, or change the scheme.

defence
12-31-2012, 05:14 PM
He got 5 sacks playing as the LOLB, or Woodley's position. Have you seen him line up as the ROLB? He's useless. He's utterly useless. So, we have one great LOLB who struggled with injuries and weight - which is inexcusable, by the way - and one that's decent enough as a backup. Great, we don't have a ROLB to line up behind, and now replace Harrison and that's a situation that needs fixing.

He specializes in the 4-3, but I feel sure he could do fine in a 3-4 ZB scheme. That, or change the scheme.

Hey I agree with all your points! But why would we try to fit in lovie to our system than rather than him work in his own system. I personally think this would be a perfect time to transition this team to a 4 3 and lovie would be great. Anyway; lebau is staying. Seventy what now lol?? His d was good this year ; but in my opinion I would love to see an attacking style 4 3. I think its the way to go in this passing league!

lloydwoodson
12-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Definitely there is the personnel for a 4-3. Woodley-Hood-McLendon-Heyward
Spence-Foote-Timmons

Ricco Suavez
12-31-2012, 05:23 PM
I think as a whole our defense is in good shape. Some key players aging and hard to keep healthy, Kiesel, Hampton, Foote, Troy,Harrison, and Clark come to mind. Woodley played well below expectations. On the other hand we have some young DBs that showed real promise and Lewis needs to be resigned if possible. Worilds has done well, and I for one am anxious to see Spence, especially after the training camp hype. Ziggy and McClendon and Heyward need to step up this next year. Looking forward to see who we draft to add depth to this unit.

zcoop
12-31-2012, 05:36 PM
With Arians and William Gay gone the haters need a new scapegoat.

You ain't seen nuthin yet, wait until Wallace is gone. Someone else will surely pop up.

NSMaster56
12-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Anyway, IDK how Lovie would do as a DC since he seems to specialize in the 4-3.

'Cover 2' 4-3, too, right?

Considering that obvious fact which I originally overlooked, hiring Lovie would make zero sense in general.

steelerjames
12-31-2012, 06:21 PM
:banging:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000119943/article/lovie-smith-fired-by-chicago-bears

ARE YOU CRAZY:banging::banging::banging:

SteelBobbleHead
12-31-2012, 06:46 PM
I remember how everyone thought once Tomlin was hired we would be switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3. Ironically we are better suited now with the current personel than we were then.
Lebeau should not be going anywhere. He does what a great coach does, adjusts to his teams strengths. His version of the zone blitz thrived with great LB play. Harrison and Woodley were non factors this year. Foote played well but has lost a step. Timmons is the only one who played above the line this year........finally. Instead of constantly doing the same thing Lebeau adjusted and still had the top D. You want more turnovers? Get Woodley to report to camp lighter next year and give him another pass rusher. Sacks and QB hurries will help produce strip sacks and INT's.
I'm not sure how Lebeau isn't aggressive. Some of you make it sound like 90 % of the ddfensive snaps were with a 10 yard cushion from the db's. Truth of the matter is 60 % probably weren't. Lebeau is still the best defensive mind in the game.

Steel95
12-31-2012, 06:50 PM
What about Keith Butler? He has been groomed to take over once LeBeau retires; Keith Butler is also used to running the 3-4 Defense, Lovie Smith runs the 4-3. I would love to have Lovie Smith as a D.C, but I wouldn't snub Keith Butler. Remember, the Steelers normally build within, promote within as well. The only exception seems to be when they hire a Head Coach. They went outside the organization last year and brought in Todd Haley, we all see how that turned out. Years ago, they went outside the organization and brought in a guy named Joe Walton, what a disaster! Remember the O/C they hired from Minnesota years ago? I think his name was Sherman Lewis, a disaster as well. Promote from within; now, if Lovie Smith was hired as a LB Coach, learned the system for a couple of seasons, then I would be ok with that.

GoFor7
12-31-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure how Lebeau isn't aggressive. Some of you make it sound like 90 % of the ddfensive snaps were with a 10 yard cushion from the db's. Truth of the matter is 60 % probably weren't. Lebeau is still the best defensive mind in the game.

That accusation comes from the fact that Harrison and Woodley were dropping into coverage a lot. It also stems from the fact the DBs are told to "tackle the catch" rather than try to jump a route and pick off a pass.

SteelBobbleHead
12-31-2012, 07:46 PM
I don't discredit the fact that the db's are talk to keep the ball in front and make the tackle......make them drive the length of the field. I would like to see the db's make a play on the ball as well. I still think pressure on the QB can help with this as well.
Woodley and Harrison have dropped into coverage quite often. Neither get to the QB anymore so often times they would send the buck blitz. To me not being aggressive is only rushing 3. The Steelers have done that but all teams do.

steeltheone
12-31-2012, 08:13 PM
What about Keith Butler? He has been groomed to take over once LeBeau retires; Keith Butler is also used to running the 3-4 Defense, Lovie Smith runs the 4-3. I would love to have Lovie Smith as a D.C, but I wouldn't snub Keith Butler. Remember, the Steelers normally build within, promote within as well. The only exception seems to be when they hire a Head Coach. They went outside the organization last year and brought in Todd Haley, we all see how that turned out. Years ago, they went outside the organization and brought in a guy named Joe Walton, what a disaster! Remember the O/C they hired from Minnesota years ago? I think his name was Sherman Lewis, a disaster as well. Promote from within; now, if Lovie Smith was hired as a LB Coach, learned the system for a couple of seasons, then I would be ok with that.

Butler is promised the job....Why? i don't know....

TRH
12-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Butler is promised the job....Why? i don't know....

Butler is on the "hit list" of many NFL teams for a defensive coordinator job. They're fully aware that he's somewhat lying in wait.
I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see someone snatch him THIS offseason. If he's offered a job - he'll take it. You don't, or can't, rely on "promises". This might be the one move this offseason that will really tick Steelers fans off - though they won't be able to do anything about it.

lloydwoodson
12-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Honestly, if Lovie Smith would sign on as DC he would be a great pickup.

As much as I love LeBeau he is 75 years old.

The personnel exist for a 4-3 defense.

Woodley Hood McLendon Heyward w/ Worilds, Keisel (probably expendable in a 4-3) roatating in.

Spence Foote Timmons (really hoping Teo falls - I still think Sylvester deserves a shot)

All in all I would prefer Lebeau sticks with the team until he is 90, but when he leaves I hope he leaves the Steelers in a good position for the future.

Fire Haley
01-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Roethlisberger 2011 20 ppg 2012 21 ppg

Conclusion: Seeing that only Rodgers offensive production changed significantly, if a team wants to score more points they are better off with a new quarterback than a new coordinator.

stats are for losers

wins and losses matter

12-4

to

8-8

no wonder Ben said - "fuck it - I'll just stay home and play with the baby, I'm done with this dink&dunk bitch"

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-01-2013, 01:40 AM
I believe last year teams were allowed to talk with bulter but he didn't take any offers. I'm sure the Rooneys have told him once dl leaves your our guy.

lloydwoodson
01-01-2013, 05:00 AM
I believe last year teams were allowed to talk with bulter but he didn't take any offers. I'm sure the Rooneys have told him once dl leaves your our guy.

Well the defense has been a top 10 defense for 13 consecutive seasons.

That is pretty damn good.

The front office will make the proper decision on defense just as they have made the proper decision with the direction of the offense.

Millers the sh!t
01-01-2013, 10:41 AM
What is with these people calling for Lebeau's head? My lord, the problem was not with this defense this year. We finished number one overall AGAIN, for chrissakes. We lost to the Bengals in a game where they did absolutely nothing on offense, 13-10. Lebeau can run the D for as long as he wants.

I don't think anyone is calling for his head. Just making suggestions if he retires or leaves the team.

desertsteel
01-01-2013, 11:38 AM
I think that Lovie will end up as a HC next year. Maybe with the Bills.

BKAnthem
01-01-2013, 01:12 PM

I think the value in any coach goes to the growth of the talent under him...have any of our drafted LB's looked like studs recently?

Lady Steel
01-02-2013, 12:32 AM
stats are for losers

wins and losses matter

12-4

to

8-8

no wonder Ben said - "fuck it - I'll just stay home and play with the baby, I'm done with this dink&dunk bitch"

:laughing: Hell to the yeah!

IamTheSteelGod
01-02-2013, 04:02 AM
What about Butler? He is still around despite being offered jobs. I reckon he will be our DC in years too come

steelfury02
01-02-2013, 09:04 AM
AND the 13-10 BAL loss due to the PR TD...

AND the TEN loss where the blocked punt led to a gimme TD...

AND only 20 points allowed to CLE despite 8 TO's...

AND the DAL loss where the PR fumble and Ben INT led to 10 DAL points...

The D is an oak, on top of a rock and encased in carbonite; and it's because of LeBeau.

THIS X A BILLION. THANK YOU.
DEFENSE DID IT'S PART, and MORE THAN ENOUGH TO CONTEND. Offensive personnel and ST wasted the D's efforts. Lebeau and his D coaches did a fantastic job coaching up the line and the secondary after it was getting burnt early on. It adjusted, and we turned the ship around. It got its outsides exposed, it adjusted enough to turn it around again - the other men outside of those 11 let the team down in a big, big way. No one, and I repeat no one could get these guys to do what they do, and to re-adjust and commit accordingly. Regardless of turnovers for the whole season - they were starting to come towards the end and we were seeing Troy become Troy. It is on the offensive personnel and the ST to step up to the plate for once already.

EDIT: Also, it is a testament to Tomlin and the rest of the organization that the defense hasn't all out rebelled against the offense and threw them under the bus since XLIII. 4 years of ineptness on that side if you ask me. Flashes - yes, but nothing consistent. We at least need clutchness from our O in the 4th if we are going to get #7 - and if you ask me, they need to figure out how they are going to score more, not just put everything on Ben's shoulders - he just can't do it consistently enough to pull the O's weight. He does need help, regardless of how great some of his performances have been.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Not sure what Lovie Smith's thoughts are on a 3-4 defense. Steelers convert to a 4-3 cover 2 defense......??? I guess its not out of the question.

jiminpa
01-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Why are people so anxious to blow up the only thing that has worked on this team in six season? Everything else is broken. I used to work for a company that lived by the "if it aint broke break it" philosophy. They guy who wrote that drivel laughed at the misfortune of anyone moronic enough to buy into that all the way to the bank, but it was a con job. That company had glaring problems all over the place, but were too busy destroying what worked to even care about what was severely broken. Some of you people would have fit right in there.

Lady Steel
01-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Why are people so anxious to blow up the only thing that has worked on this team in six season?

Because it's that time of the year when cabin fever starts setting in and they have nothing better to do. It's becoming sacrilegious around here.

lloydwoodson
01-04-2013, 02:54 AM
Because it's that time of the year when cabin fever starts setting in and they have nothing better to do. It's becoming sacrilegious around here.

Speaking of sacrilege your post count bears the mark of the Beast! (But don't reply or it will be 667)

VictoryFormation
01-04-2013, 03:28 AM
Lovie Smith, and Mike Tomlin both ran a version of the 43 Cover-2. Smith would be a good fit if the Steelers were looking for a DC.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-04-2013, 12:50 PM
I am with STEELERCANADA. Dick Lebeau can stay in the burgh as long as he wants.

BUT-- this defense does need some serious updating. The 10 yard cushion thing was old about 10 years ago, when elite QBs (or even mediocre ones like Jay Cutler-- whome we have never won against) like Brady and Manning would pick it apart 5 yards at a pop-- like being bled to death by thousands of paper-cuts. Against the Pats in 2010-- I thought we had rounded a new corner, and we would start playing more aggressive coverage. Instead, we went back to what was not working-- the 10 yard cusions.

With a diminshed pass rush, and playing the cusion coverages, this defense could not create turnovers., get off the field on 3rd down, or prevent other teams from scoring (look at where our defense ranked in THOSE areas-- not quite #1....).

If you look beyond the #1 yardage ranking, there are LOTS of areas this defense needs to improve at. Lebeau and his defense are NOT untouchable.

We had the #1 ranked defense too when Tebow lit it up for 316 yards and 3 TDs.

At least two of our losses this season can be laid squarely at the defense's feet. They could not stop the Charger's Spurlock (who?) at all. He looked like Deion Sanders in his prime out there in our secondary-- taking all teh advantage of the infamous 10-yard cushion coverages. They could not stop a dinged up Dez Bryant or Tony Romo either.

Sure, we were missing most of our CBs, but injuries are a part of the game too. The offense does not get a break from the fans for injuries-- the defense should not either.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-04-2013, 12:53 PM
I do think we should consider switching to the 4-3 defense.

Heyward - McClendon - Ta'amu - Hood
Woodley - Timmons - Spence

We have the personnel, we have two agile MLBs, and a Dline better built for the 4-3 or Tomlin's Tampa-2. Not sure if that is Lebea's "thing" though.

If Lebeau retired, I would see Lovie Smith as a great option, but one that probably won't be available to us because there are other more desperate teams right now.

VictoryFormation
01-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Dick Lebeau has been the DC for what, nine-ten years? Every player on that defense that has been with the Steelers since his rookie season knows no other defense. Plus, if we changed over to a 4-3, we would have to partially, revamp the defense, bringing in different players that are better suited for the new D. The best time to make that drastic of a change in the defensive scheme is when a team is rebuilding.
The 3-4 can be as physical as the 4-3. Replacing that big, fat 4th down-lineman with a big athletic linebacker allows the player at that position to do much more. Lebeau's basic alignment puts two linebackers up on the line of scrimmage, which simulates a five-man line. Plus, the strong safety lines up five yards behind the line, on the strong side, rushing, or blitzing the QB at times. When the zone-blitz scheme is going full speed, that defense is brutal, and tough for any offense to work against.

Fire Arians
01-04-2013, 04:38 PM
come on man

Hawaii 5-0
01-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Tomlin all but guarantees that LeBeau will be back

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/e4/ce4b32ae-de3f-11e0-82cc-001a4bcf6878/4e6fb0f51cff5.preview-300.jpg

It promises to be a busy season for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin after an 8-8 season. (AP file photo)

Wed Jan 2, 2013.
By Mike Bires

PITTSBURGH Ė During his season-in-review press conference today, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin heaped praise on Dick LeBeau but didnít exactly return the favor in regards to Todd Haley.

Tomlin said itís too early to speculate if there will be any changes on his coaching. He will meet with assistants later this week and early next week.

But when told that LeBeau wants to return as defensive coordinator, Tomlin said, ďI think everybody is aware that Iím happy with the work of Dick LeBeau. A special man, a special coach.Ē

But when asked about Haley, Tomlin said "It was about 8-8, like all of us. Iím a black-and-white kind of a guy. He was an 8-8 coordinator. I was an 8-8 head coach. I donít think thatís what either of us desire to be.Ē

The only assistant Tomlin has to replace is offensive line coach Sean Kugler, who is leaving to become the head coach at the University of Texas at El Paso. Kugler cleaned out his office at team headquarters this morning.

Kugler will not be taking any Steelers assistants with him to UTEP.

Tomlin is meeting with his team for the final time at 2 p.m. today and will start a series of exit meetings with his players. Some of those exit meetings will be held later today and them resume on Wednesday and continue on Thursday.

As far as the 2012 season that ended with an 8-8 non-playoff record, ďWe didnít do enough particularly in the closing moments of close football games.Ē

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/tomlin-all-but-guarantees-that-lebeau-will-be-back/article_b37b7fd8-5373-11e2-b4fa-0019bb30f31a.html

SteelersCanada
01-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Well, another year without turnovers and sacks.

maddog78
01-05-2013, 01:02 PM

All depends on Troy and Harrison. When Troy is all over the place, turnovers happen. He finally returned to that form the last two games and voila, six turnovers.

Harrison was getting better all year, too, which helped the pass rush as he requires more attention.

mikegrimey
01-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Lovie Smith isn't coming here, but I'd love to see our players go after the football like the Bears did under him.

steelfury02
01-05-2013, 01:17 PM
All depends on Troy and Harrison. When Troy is all over the place, turnovers happen. He finally returned to that form the last two games and voila, six turnovers.

Harrison was getting better all year, too, which helped the pass rush as he requires more attention.

We need Troy to be Troy we saw the last couple of weeks. We need Woodley to reclaim his 2nd year magic. We need a CB to step up and contribute towards TOs. We need someone other than Harrison to wreak havoc. Turnovers are the key.

Hopefully if that happens, the offense can take advantage of it.

harrison'samonster
01-05-2013, 02:33 PM

I completely agree. If these two are still around, which looks very possible, having them healthy will make a huge difference.

VictoryFormation
01-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I agree 100%. If they had a healthy Troy Polamalu, and James Harrison, playing at their peak, it would have made a big difference. Even if they had two bona fide starters at those positions that were almost as good, it would have made a big difference.

wwhickok
01-07-2013, 10:51 AM
If LeBeau retired I think Smith would a perfect fit. Obviously we would transition to 4-3 but I think its that time. I would not be in favor of firing one for the other.

CanuckCurtain
01-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Rob Ryan just got fired so why not throw him into the mix? :chuckle:

lloydwoodson
01-09-2013, 12:26 AM
Rob Ryan just got fired so why not throw him into the mix? :chuckle:

I know you are kidding but I was checking out Rob Ryan's defenses over the years and they are terrible! He has consistently had defenses in the bottom half of the league. In 6 of his 9 seasons as DC his teams have finished worse than 20th in yard allowed and points allowed.

Another Ryan blowhard.

Kanata-Steeler
01-09-2013, 12:46 AM
So is that a prediction. ? 'cause this year our "Offense" more-or-less threw away this season, and NOT the "D", which got steadily better throughout this season, (even though Troy was a non-factor), and, you know Dick is stayin' here next season.
If anything, for next season, Ben needs to start cozying-up to Haley, instead of constantly whinng about missing his dada "Bwuce Aweeans" ?!

No offence, but:
"Lovie Smith Fired - Let's Grab Him as Defensive Coordinator" right now? - is just :screwy:

lloydwoodson
01-09-2013, 01:09 AM
So is that a prediction. ? 'cause this year our "Offense" more-or-less threw away this season, and NOT the "D", which got steadily better throughout this season, (even though Troy was a non-factor), and, you know Dick is stayin' here next season.
If anything, for next season, Ben needs to start cozying-up to Haley, instead of constantly whinng about missing his dada "Bwuce Aweeans" ?!

No offence, but:
"Lovie Smith Fired - Let's Grab Him as Defensive Coordinator" right now? - is just :screwy:

I agree with you totally except the part about thinking the Steelers might switch to a 4-3 being crazy. When the Steelers switched to a 3-4 it was because LC Greenwood and Joe Greene retired. Now Hampton and Harrison are about ready to retire.

The personnel does exist for a 4-3 and an argument could be made that a 4-3 would better suit the current personnel. The 3-4 wasn't looking too good at the beginning of the season with Harrison out.

wwhickok
01-09-2013, 06:08 AM
I think the time is nearing for the change to be made but I don't believe it'll be with Smith as I believe he will be the new HC of the Eagles. I did have a thought though, I'm not sure what personnel requirements would be for the Cover 2 tbh but Monty Kiffin is available and he did say he wanted to get back into the NFL.

VictoryFormation
01-09-2013, 05:18 PM
But yeah, if Dick Lebeau retired, Lovie Smith would be a perfect fit as Defensive Coordinator for the Steelers. Mike Tomlin, and Lovie Smith come from the same coaching tree, both spending time as assistant coaches under Tony Dungy before they became head coaches. Of course, both have the same defensive philosophy, as well.
Incidentally, Tony Dungy is part of the Chuck Knoll coaching tree, coming up as a player, assistant coach, and defensive coordinator with the Steelers during Knoll's tenure as head coach.
If we go back one more generation, we can trace this all back to Coach Paul Brown. Chuck Knoll was part of the Paul Brown coaching tree, along with Don Shula, Bud Grant, and Weeeb Ewbank.
So, It's all good...

stb_steeler
01-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Hate to tell yas!.....We have Lebeau for at least another year... :applaudit:

CanuckCurtain
01-11-2013, 06:58 PM
I think the time is nearing for the change to be made but I don't believe it'll be with Smith as I believe he will be the new HC of the Eagles. I did have a thought though, I'm not sure what personnel requirements would be for the Cover 2 tbh but Monty Kiffin is available and he did say he wanted to get back into the NFL.

I saw that Monty Kiffin is DC in Dallas now....nfl network

maddog78
01-11-2013, 08:43 PM

No offence, but:

How many 4th quarter leads did the defense give up? Ben threw away the Cincy game, but had a great game in Dallas until the pick in OT, which never should have come to pass if Brown and the defense didn't surrender the 7-point lead they were staked with.

Tennesee, Oakland come to mind, too.

lloydwoodson
01-12-2013, 02:06 AM
How many 4th quarter leads did the defense give up? Ben threw away the Cincy game, but had a great game in Dallas until the pick in OT, which never should have come to pass if Brown and the defense didn't surrender the 7-point lead they were staked with.

Tennesee, Oakland come to mind, too.

The Steelers were ranked 3rd in the NFL in points surrendered in the 4th QTR with 3.8, and 21st in points scored in the 4th QTR with 5.7. No team scored fewer than 4.3 points in the 4th for the year so the Steelers actually held opponents below the average of the worst team in the league.

Yet another attempt to blame the defense that failed. Nobody would argue that the defense did not play more poorly in the beginning of the season, but it did more than enough down the stretch to win games.

Steeler7BR
01-12-2013, 10:38 AM
The Steelers were ranked 3rd in the NFL in points surrendered in the 4th QTR with 3.8, and 21st in points scored in the 4th QTR with 5.7. No team scored fewer than 4.3 points in the 4th for the year so the Steelers actually held opponents below the average of the worst team in the league.

Yet another attempt to blame the defense that failed. Nobody would argue that the defense did not play more poorly in the beginning of the season, but it did more than enough down the stretch to win games.

I love Dick Lebeau. I love our defense. But at the start of the year and I know we can blame it on injuries and whatsoever it WAS a factor but they lost games for us.

We were busted wide open in the second half in Denver. Ok offense could have done more in the 4th quarter but the defense had it in hand. Really get abused by Matt Hasselback in totally embarrssing 2 4th quarter drives. And the baddest game in our season from the defensive standpoint. Get no control on Carson Palmer and the Raiders.

I'm sorry but that games were lost on a big part by the defense. I know in the first half of the season Harrison was practicly non-existent after his knee surgery. Polumalu was out. Hampton came back from a knee injury and wasn't a factor till late in the season but they lost for a fact that games that hurt as so much at the end of the season.

@lloydwoodson But your're also right they had a good season down the strech.

lloydwoodson
01-12-2013, 04:27 PM
@7BR The Denver loss is on the offense. The defense had held Denver to 14 going into the 4th. Then they allowed 10 in the 4th. The Steelers offense had two 3 and outs and a pick 6 in the 4th quarter. You can not give Peyton Manning that many chances to win the game. The Broncos scored more than 30 points in 11 games this season- it is a regular occurence for them.

The Titans loss is on Tomlin. He chose to try a 57 yard field goal with a kicker who can not kick past 50. The Steelers lost the game on a 33 yard drive. Also 7 points came off a blocked punt and a 1 yard TD drive (resulting from a 3 and out).

The Raiders game is on the defense. No excuse for giving up that many points to such a poor offense.

The Chargers game is also on the offense. In the first half the Steelers had five 3 and outs and a turnover on downs. The Chargers offense scored 17 points on drives that started in Steeler territory. The Chargers scored another 7 points on a fumble. Only 1 Charger drive that started in their own territory went for a TD- no other drive from their territory made it to the red zone.

The Cowboys game was one of the defense's worst but ultimately at the end of the game they held their own. The only points the Cowboys scored in the 4th was a 44 yard TD drive set up off Brown's fumble. The defense forced not one but two Dallas 3 and outs in the final 3 minutes of the game to force overtime. Roethlisberger's interception in overtime cost the Steelers the game.

The Steelers allowed more than 20 points in five games. Of those games the Raiders game is the one that stands out as having been a loss because of bad defense.

Steeler7BR
01-12-2013, 04:41 PM
@7BR The Denver loss is on the offense. The defense had held Denver to 14 going into the 4th. Then they allowed 10 in the 4th. The Steelers offense had two 3 and outs and a pick 6 in the 4th quarter. You can not give Peyton Manning that many chances to win the game. The Broncos scored more than 30 points in 11 games this season- it is a regular occurence for them.

The Titans loss is on Tomlin. He chose to try a 57 yard field goal with a kicker who can not kick past 50. The Steelers lost the game on a 33 yard drive. Also 7 points came off a blocked punt and a 1 yard TD drive (resulting from a 3 and out).

The Raiders game is on the defense. No excuse for giving up that many points to such a poor offense.

The Chargers game is also on the offense. In the first half the Steelers had five 3 and outs and a turnover on downs. The Chargers offense scored 17 points on drives that started in Steeler territory. The Chargers scored another 7 points on a fumble. Only 1 Charger drive that started in their own territory went for a TD- no other drive from their territory made it to the red zone.

The Cowboys game was one of the defense's worst but ultimately at the end of the game they held their own. The only points the Cowboys scored in the 4th was a 44 yard TD drive set up off Brown's fumble. The defense forced not one but two Dallas 3 and outs in the final 3 minutes of the game to force overtime. Roethlisberger's interception in overtime cost the Steelers the game.

The Steelers allowed more than 20 points in five games. Of those games the Raiders game is the one that stands out as having been a loss because of bad defense.

Ok I would agree with that hearing all the stats you mentioned. That 3 games were just out of memory. Although I would say the Titans game was most on the defense. Not because of the 33 yard drive that let to a Field Goal the TD drive before.

lloydwoodson
01-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Ok I would agree with that hearing all the stats you mentioned. That 3 games were just out of memory. Although I would say the Titans game was most on the defense. Not because of the 33 yard drive that let to a Field Goal the TD drive before.

Fair enough. You are right that the defense has not played to the standard it set for itself in previous years. And as we all know "The standard is the standard." :chuckle:

DanRooney
01-12-2013, 09:41 PM
I love our DC.

I hate our HC. Lovie for HC would be great.

lloydwoodson
01-13-2013, 04:39 AM
I love our DC.

I hate our HC. Lovie for HC would be great.

The Steelers don't need another defensive minded HC. LeBeau gets the most out of the D every year. What the Steelers need is a kick in the ass on offense. I am not advocating Tomlin be replaced- I think he is a very good coach and also very young he will learn as he goes over the next at least ten years with the Steelers. I am saying that it doesn't make a lot of sense to bring in a head coach who has experience in the area your team is already the best at.

SteelersCanada
11-04-2013, 09:08 AM
I'd be advocating this harder if I wasn't absolutely positive Lovie is going to be a head coach in the NFL next year.

BritishSteel
11-04-2013, 09:11 AM
I'd be advocating this harder if I wasn't absolutely positive Lovie is going to be a head coach in the NFL next year.

So you're not buying the USC rumours then?

SteelersCanada
11-04-2013, 09:14 AM
So you're not buying the USC rumours then?

No, and apparently Lovie isn't either.

"The report that Lovie Smith interviewed for the USC head coaching job is being denied by Lovie Smith.

Smith told Jay Glazer of FOX Sports that he was taken aback by the report that he interviewed for the USC job. Smith told Glazer that he absolutely did not interview with USC and has zero interest in the job."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/03/lovie-smith-says-he-didnt-interview-with-usc-and-isnt-interested/

BritishSteel
11-04-2013, 09:21 AM
No, and apparently Lovie isn't either.

"The report that Lovie Smith interviewed for the USC head coaching job is being denied by Lovie Smith.

Smith told Jay Glazer of FOX Sports that he was taken aback by the report that he interviewed for the USC job. Smith told Glazer that he absolutely did not interview with USC and has zero interest in the job."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/03/lovie-smith-says-he-didnt-interview-with-usc-and-isnt-interested/

Good. He'd be my first choice to replace LeBeau all day long.

Atlanta Dan
11-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Unfortunately the Steelers pretty much promised Keith Butler he would get LeBeau's job, although if they hire someone else this explanation to Butler might work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOXtWxhlsUg

SteelersCanada
11-04-2013, 12:10 PM
I don't know, would a 2 - 3 win season make the Rooney's second guess whether or not they need to clean house, aside from Tomlin? I think it's a possibility.

And for the love of God, can we let Mike choose the coordinators this time?

SteelersCanada
12-30-2013, 02:16 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Former Bears HC Lovie Smith is considered the favorite for the Buccaneers HC job, based on multiple league sources.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/417747726122881025">December 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, shit.

BritishSteel
12-30-2013, 02:33 PM
The Glazers will find a way to fuck it up. At least it's not the Clowns.

Lady Steel
12-30-2013, 02:43 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Former Bears HC Lovie Smith is considered the favorite for the Buccaneers HC job, based on multiple league sources.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/417747726122881025">December 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, shit.

Coach LeBeau it is! :heart:

Suck it up, Canada! :laughing:

fer522
12-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Tomlin should go after Smith asap

SteelersCanada
12-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Tomlin should go after Smith asap

Lovie is one of my favorite coaches in the NFL. Not only is he an outstanding person, but he has a hell'uva defensive mind too. A former COY on the staff wouldn't be a bad addition, but he's going to go coach the Bucs sadly.

Nothing but the best to Lovie and the Bucs. I hope he can rebuild that franchise with a player like Revis to start with on defense.

Blacksburg Zach
01-01-2014, 10:56 PM
Lovie Smith, Tampa Bay Buccaneers finalizing contract

By Kevin Patra
Around the League writer
Published: Jan. 1, 2014 at 08:59 p.m. Updated: Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:31 p.m.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers wasted no time finding the man to run their team.

Lovie Smith will be the new coach in Tampa, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday, according to a person with knowledge of the negotiations. The sides are finalizing a multiyear deal.

Smith, the former Chicago Bears coach, was the leading candidate from the start of the Bucs' search. He will return to the team where he was the linebackers coach from 1996 to 2000. Fox's Jay Glazer first reported the contract.

League executives informed of the Bucs' process told Rapoport earlier this week that there was talk of bringing together the old Tampa Bay group, including former Bears general manager Jerry Angelo, former Seahawks general manager Tim Ruskell and others. Two other personnel men formerly with the Bears -- Kansas City's Chris Ballard and Washington's Morocco Brown -- also are names to watch, Rapoport reported.

Smith compiled an 81-63 record in nine seasons with the Bears. During his time in the Windy City, Smith championed solid defensive groups. His talents and leadership should mesh well with the defensive personnel currently in Tampa.

The biggest critique of Smith in Chicago was his handling of the offensive side of the ball.

To quell those concerns, sources close to Smith told Rapoport earlier in the week that the plan is to bring in former Cal head coach Jeff Tedford as offensive coordinator.

For defensive coordinator, Smith is looking at two options. His first choice is Rod Marinelli, the former Detroit Lions head coach who's currently under contract with the Cowboys as a defensive line coach. If Smith can't get Marinelli, Rapoport said former Vikings coach Leslie Frazier could be brought on as defensive coordinator.

With the hiring of Smith, the Bucs will be a trendy pick to go from cellar dweller to playoff contender -- similar to the path the Kansas City Chiefs took this year after bringing on Andy Reid.

Smith previously interviewed with the Houston Texans, who will name Bill O'Brien as their head coach. The Detroit Lions also had strong interest in interviewing Smith for their opening.

The Bucs made sure Smith never made it to that interview.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000308084/article/lovie-smith-buccaneers-finalizing-contract

Confounding Factor
01-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Congrats to Lovie, wish him the best of luck. He would have made a great DC here though but I'm fine sticking with LeBeau

zcoop
01-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Lovie's gonna have his hands full in that cesspool down called Tampa. Good luck to him though.

BowCatShot
01-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Lovie Smith? Hell no.

Fire LeBlow? Hell yes.