PDA

View Full Version : cower/rooney contract

crcsnail
08-15-2006, 01:10 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/67497/

i think cowher could be around a bit longer :)

HometownGal
08-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Nice to see some positive reinforcement on Cowher's contract status. I like the Rooneys' approach here - let Cowher concentrate and focus on the upcoming season first and foremost and save the heavy negotiations for the end of the season. Kudos to all parties involved! :cool:

Thanks for the link!

nicesteel4life
08-15-2006, 02:09 PM
All this had to be published to put out the flames caused by Bettis. I really feel that Bettis stepped over the line with this. Specially during Camp Cowher. Sorry It's my opinion and takes a few of the GREAT memories of the Bus from my mind (not all of them). Still Love the Bus....

19ward86
08-15-2006, 02:34 PM
do coaches get paid through with the cap room like players or by the money the owner makes?cause i think rooney should give cowher a big contract, hell he has been here for 15 or so years he might as well stay.we're family!

mattss
08-15-2006, 02:44 PM
those comments still make me nervous as he only says that they would like cowher to be here for many years...also that they will wait till seasons end to figure things out as if cowher really isnt sure and wanted another year to wait things out..there is no reason that the rooney's wouldnt have wanted to jump at the chance to give bill a big extension if it were not for cowher's indecisions..in all i would love cowher to stay but think whiz can do a good job as well if billy needs a break for a bit..

bratsinmybelly
08-15-2006, 05:22 PM
This will mark the first time since I've been paying attention that Cowher's contract hasn't been extended with two years remaining on his current one. It's obvious that it's not the Steelers organization that held it up this time. To say that it was put off so it wouldn't be a distraction flys in the face of the very reason that they established this pattern in the first place. Renew with two years left so it's never a question or concern has been the pattern before. Obviously it's different this time. Coach Cowher has been very upfront about the decisions that he's faced with. It's very hard not to read too much into a subtle message like this. But when your talking about the Steelers & Coach Cowher, two entities that pretty much define consistency. Any deviation from that sends a pretty strong message.

Just my two cents.

83-Steelers-43
08-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Is this ever going to end?

Lambertfan
08-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Lets see,Cowher builds fancy now home in North Carolina and his daughter is going to school there,He doen not renew his contract and it's Bettis's bad for giving his thoughts?????

Haiku_Dirtt
08-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Lets see,Cowher builds fancy now home in North Carolina and his daughter is going to school there,He doen not renew his contract and it's Bettis's bad for giving his thoughts?????

It's the perception that Bettis is an insider which is troublesome. Regardless of whether he coaches, Cowher is doing what any man at his age with his resources should do. Lay the ground work for present and future Cowher generations.

But considering Philip was shaky at best and Hartings is no younger and Chukky is in the infirmiry getting this crap out of the press is best. 'Nuff already. Bettis should know better.

70c10
08-16-2006, 09:46 AM
All signs point to Cowher leaving at season's end. Bank on it.

Lyn
08-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Cowher is moving the chess pieces getting ready for his exit. He is paid way under other coaches.

Lyn
08-16-2006, 11:24 AM
those comments still make me nervous as he only says that they would like cowher to be here for many years...also that they will wait till seasons end to figure things out as if cowher really isnt sure and wanted another year to wait things out..there is no reason that the rooney's wouldnt have wanted to jump at the chance to give bill a big extension if it were not for cowher's indecisions..in all i would love cowher to stay but think whiz can do a good job as well if billy needs a break for a bit..

I don't think he wants a break I think he wants a bigger paycheck. He should be the highest paid coach in the NFl and he isn't, he is like 13th. Sabin who just came in makes $4.5.

GoFor6
08-16-2006, 11:45 AM
From about 1999 until even now I feel Cowher is an adequate coach but not an elite coach. He missed way too many opportunities for my liking. If he goes - he goes, the organization will keep moving forward. If the Steelers win a couple playoff games and Cowher leaves, I wouldn't be surprised that the Wiz gets it, but if they faulter and Cowher leaves, expect a complete house cleaning.

Lyn
08-16-2006, 12:19 PM
From about 1999 until even now I feel Cowher is an adequate coach but not an elite coach. He missed way too many opportunities for my liking. If he goes - he goes, the organization will keep moving forward. If the Steelers win a couple playoff games and Cowher leaves, I wouldn't be surprised that the Wiz gets it, but if they faulter and Cowher leaves, expect a complete house cleaning.

LOL you sound like a fan who has gone to many games, spent lotsa money to see Kordell:)

I feel your pain :)

Midnightwriter07
08-16-2006, 12:40 PM
a hosue cleaning of one of the most succesfull teams in the past 10 years ? umm this is not the Cardinals or the Browns or the Titans we are talking about.

A good couch puts his team in a postion to win, he doesnt win the games for you. He has donethat time and time again.

that is the same thing as saying that WHIZ won the SuperBowl for us because he called a play ??? The players have to execute it , and when they do good things happen ... when they dont, then we blame WHIZ for it or would you have blamed Cowher for that too lol lol What a joke.