PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ offensive front may see familiar faces leave

Hawaii 5-0
12-31-2012, 08:48 PM
Steelers’ offensive front may see familiar faces leave

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=CbaCr 332xk42NptHkH4tJ8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuSBhb8P7nbiFN U8uc1IRy0WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers offensive tackle Max Starks during practice on the South Side Sept. 5, 2012. Chaz Palla | Tribune Review

By Ralph N. Paulk
Published: Monday, December 31, 2012

The Steelers‘ offensive line wasn‘t exactly an impenetrable front during a season in which it was ridiculed for inconsistency and sometimes decimated by injuries.

Now, it‘s back where it started at the end of last season. Yet it appears the offensive line will be in better shape when the team reconvenes for offseason training activities and minicamp.

Again, Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey will be the anchor of the offensive line in 2013. And the right side likely will consist of guard David DeCastro and tackle Marcus Gilbert, both of whom missed significant time this season with injuries.

Oddly, the only linemen to make all 16 starts this season could be shopping for new teams when the free agent market opens up. Guard Ramon Foster and tackle Max Starks aren‘t considered priorities for a team that will be about $12 million over the salary cap.

Still, Foster and Starks are hoping to be a part of an offensive line that faced inordinate adversity throughout the season, particularly via injuries — including Pouncey and Willie Colon, who moved from tackle to guard this season. Also, it incorporated three rookies — DeCastro, tackle Mike Adams and guard Kelvin Beachum — mostly out of necessity.

On Sunday, guard John Malecki was pressed into duty after spending much of the season on the practice squad. Foster had to man right tackle for the first time in his career after Beachum sustained a concussion when blindsided by Cleveland defensive tackle Phil Taylor.

Foster, of course, creates an interesting dilemma for general manager Kevin Colbert. Are the Steelers willing to risk losing perhaps their most durable offensive lineman, who made 31 starts the past two seasons? If so, it will signal a level of confidence in the oft-injured Colon, who signed a five-year deal in 2011 but missed every game except one in 2010 and 2011.

Colon‘s return, coupled with a healthy DeCastro, Gilbert and Adams, could make Foster expendable.

“I don‘t know how it‘s going to work out,” said Foster, who made $1.2 million this season. “I guess I‘ll really get to see the real business side of the NFL. It‘s really a toss-up whether I‘ll be here or somewhere else.

“I want to go somewhere where I‘ll be appreciated. I played a lot and started a lot. I‘ll see where it goes when free agency opens up whether I get a contract or not.

“Everybody wants a long-term contract, but considering they have a first-rounder in David (DeCastro) and Willie just got paid, it‘s a matter of if I‘m that valuable. Willie is a special guy, so I can‘t see him not coming back next year.”

Foster, whose agent Joel Segal will aggressively seek the highest bidder, said he would rather the process play out quickly, especially if he returns.

“We don‘t want a whole lot of questions about this offensive line during the offseason about what we can and cannot do,” Foster said. “We needed to establish ourselves for next year.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3218452-74/season-foster-offensive#ixzz2GgUxfojn

SteelersCanada
12-31-2012, 11:27 PM
I'd rather keep Foster and let Colon go if I'm being completely honest.

bornaSteelersfan
12-31-2012, 11:55 PM
Colon is a beast and great in the running game. We can't let him go.

teegre
01-01-2013, 12:03 AM

I agree: when The Colon plays, he is a great.

Alas, the operative words are "when he plays."

SteelersCanada
01-01-2013, 12:14 AM

Holding - Number 74, Offense. 10 yard penalty, remains third down.

or ...

False Start - Number 74, Offense. 5 yard penalty, remains first down.

I think we can afford to let him go.

Blacksburg Zach
01-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Holding - Number 74, Offense. 10 yard penalty, remains third down.

or ...

False Start - Number 74, Offense. 5 yard penalty, remains first down.

I think we can afford to let him go.

Don't forget Cursing at an official- Number 74, Offense. 15 yard penalty.

lloydwoodson
01-01-2013, 12:36 AM
While I had some funny comments regarding Colon's probable departure I will withhold them out of respect.

As a fan I appreciate the effort every Steeler brings week in and week out.

I will always remember Colon grinding on top of Burfict. One of the funniest things I have seen in football. Can someone post the gif?

I have been a Starks supporter for years. I took a lot of heat last year for wanting him on the team.

No he is not the best LT in the league but he does a pretty damn good job.

Starks is the only veteran on that line and I would prefer to keep him on the team.

As much as Khan is praised for his cap work there is a lot of dead weight on the team that can be cut and will be cut... and very little of it is on the offensive line.

Hawaii 5-0
01-01-2013, 12:48 AM
I will always remember Colon grinding on top of Burfict. One of the funniest things I have seen in football. Can someone post the gif?

http://i.imgur.com/jogCb.gif

ZoneBlitzer
01-01-2013, 02:11 AM
Ditch Colon. He's incredibly fragile. That's 3 years in a row now that he has been on IR.

Millers the sh!t
01-01-2013, 02:23 AM
Keep Starks, Foster... Colon can go. Too many penalties, and injuries.

bornaSteelersfan
01-01-2013, 02:55 AM
Say what you want about Colon's injuries (that just reads funny), but he is the biggest spark on the offensive line. Pouncy is good and Starks is stable, but Colon is the fire. When he grinded Burflict, it completely revitalized our team. After that, the Steelers were on a tear until Ben's injury. Then Colon went down and the O-line never was the same all season. I think the Steelers will keep him. If they don't keep him, they will trade him for an upgrade in another position (RB?).

defence
01-01-2013, 02:56 PM
With the exception of Starks and Pouncey; and excluding the young guys; the rest are suspect. If we are trimming fat; none of these guys should be over looked because there are no BEASTS in that group!!

steelerchad
01-01-2013, 03:17 PM
I like a 2013 starting line of this.

LT-Starks
LG-Colon
C-Pouncey
RG-DeCastro
RT-Gilbert

Backups
Adams at either tackle
Foster at either guard
Legursky at Center or guard
Beachum at tackle

If Adams can beat out either guy for the starting tackle job, great. You'll need a swing tackle as there will be injuries.

tanda10506
01-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Colon is a beast in the run game, but how many games has he played the last 3 years? He couldn't even make it through this year after "surviving training camp". Foster has been playing well and someone will be willing to gamble on Colon so one of them will not be here next year, and I rather it be Colon. We already have enough players that have the potential to do things, we need guys that CAN get it done, and Foster did that pretty well. Actually Foster has always been a decent pass blocker and appeared even better this year. Sad thing is that with Pouncey, Gilbert, DD, Foster, Starks, Adams, Colon, Beachum, and Legursky, we still have problems piecing together an O line at times, like the end of this year.

GoFor7
01-01-2013, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they let Legursky go in favor of someone who can actually play both center and guard.

austinfrench76
01-01-2013, 05:57 PM
I like what Steelerchad above said. Although it is not very likely at all, it's best case scenario. I think Starks stays and Foster is gone. He will get an "Urbik like" payday and probably more. Good player but he was a UDFA so this is likely his 1 payday as I think Kabloy wrote about and posted to Sulia. Either way, at least we don't need to draft oline!!!

BKAnthem
01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Kinda ridiculous that one of the most Stable players on the Line has to wonder about his future on it

jiminpa
01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Take into account that Tomlin hates to dress OL. In his mind there are 3 too many linemen on the roster now, and Legursky is adequate at the most positions. Next man up, ability not required.

mikegrimey
01-01-2013, 06:08 PM
If I had to bet it'd be on the team letting Starks go
They probably want Gilbert and Adams to be the starting tackles, but it's be nice to see Starks stick around, he's a solid T and Ben loves him

steelfury02
01-01-2013, 07:08 PM
I would want Starks back in the worst way - he is the one thing that is reliable about this O-line. Ben's blindside is pretty much in-tact. As I've said before - our problems are from the right, which is the complete opposite problemof most average-below average O-lines.

He's a 2xSB O-line anchor and a top 10 LT out of anyone in today's teams. I'd let another defender go if it meant he could stay. Of course, you do realize he will now be jinxed after I've said all this.

I love Colon's attitude - just not enough body of work to keep him around.

sloppyjoe
01-01-2013, 07:47 PM
colon blows

TRH
01-01-2013, 07:52 PM
This team is going to have to make big - and rock the boat - kind of changes. We have a major salary cap issue right now. We're paying ALOT of money to some who are just, ummm, cruising along collecting checks.

I like Colon and when he plays, he's great. But all the holding penalties. False starts. Scuffles and temper issues. Is it worth it in the end? We had similar issues with Kemoeatu - could've been great - but dragged himself down with excessive performance penalties and temper issues that cost us more than it helped us.

kan_t
01-01-2013, 09:20 PM
I'd rather keep Foster and let Colon go if I'm being completely honest.

You're not alone. Colon is good. But he just can't stay on the field. I rather save those $1.2M cap and give it to Foster who's underrated IMO. Foster is a decent starting guard who I think can still improve his plays.

VaDave
01-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Foster is a marginal starting NFL G. Yes, he's plays several positions, and yes he's been durable, but to say he is a good G is not factual. He's been good for us not because he's a great player, but because he's a guy that stays healthy enough to play. He is only slightly better than Legurski because he is a little stronger, but truth be told, Legs is a much better technician.

BTW, Anybody watch that kid from Pitt, John Malecki Sunday? Looks like he's got the counter blocking down pretty good....

67 calsteel
01-03-2013, 03:13 PM
i think foster is gone.some one is going to offer more money.
Starks and Colon can not be let go for nothing.
I know this is not usually done but what about a sign and trade(Starks)
If we sign and keep him at Lt i would not have a problem but i think we could get value in a trade.
2 teams
chicago-need a LT and where the draft the top LT with be gone.For them to move up in the first round it will cost at least a 3rd round.SEE if they would give us their 3rd round
Miami-their Lt Jake long Is a free agent and is going to demand big money.Sign Starks and trade him for 3rd round.Miami could use the savings to address other needs in free agency.

Colon should be traded suggestion
Jacksonville-they need line help.TRade for forth round.

I think both deals are fair.We get draft picks and cap space.
Trade partners get to upgrade areas of need with proven starters instead of hopeful draft pick

teegre
01-03-2013, 03:19 PM
colon blows

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ms6e_saturday-night-live-colon-blow_fun#.UOX11znTL8s

nj1923steelgirl
01-03-2013, 04:11 PM
i think foster is gone.some one is going to offer more money.
Starks and Colon can not be let go for nothing.
I know this is not usually done but what about a sign and trade(Starks)
If we sign and keep him at Lt i would not have a problem but i think we could get value in a trade.
2 teams
chicago-need a LT and where the draft the top LT with be gone.For them to move up in the first round it will cost at least a 3rd round.SEE if they would give us their 3rd round
Miami-their Lt Jake long Is a free agent and is going to demand big money.Sign Starks and trade him for 3rd round.Miami could use the savings to address other needs in free agency.

Colon should be traded suggestion
Jacksonville-they need line help.TRade for forth round.

I think both deals are fair.We get draft picks and cap space.
Trade partners get to upgrade areas of need with proven starters instead of hopeful draft pick

Interesting idea!:helmet:

lloydwoodson
01-04-2013, 01:13 AM
Santonio Holmes was traded for a 5th round pick.

I don't think there are teams that would give a 3rd for Starks or a 4th for Colon.

Hell Randy Moss was traded for a 3rd round pick.

67 calsteel
01-04-2013, 08:52 AM
You are taking about two player that we traded with issue.Moss was playing when he wanted to and gave a half hearted effort.Holmes well we all know about him.

These are fair trades for both teams.Chicago has a big investment in cutler.No new coach is going not to improve that offensive line right away.Why take a chance on a unproven rookie when you could get a proven vet.
Miami -the new owner has to do something to excite the fan bass.Jake long will cost them at least 12m a year.why do that why they could get Starks,wallace and jennings for the cost of LONG.

Fire Haley
01-04-2013, 09:43 AM
can we PLEASE finally draft a real starting LT?

We can't keep relying on Max to save us

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2013, 10:10 AM

Some think that Gilbert or Adams are already that LT.

I honestly can see Gilbert and Adams at the LT and RT spots, Pouncey and Decastro on the inside and either Colon or Foster at the other OG spot this coming September..........and have no problem with that.

lloydwoodson
01-05-2013, 01:46 AM

I honestly can see Gilbert and Adams at the LT and RT spots, Pouncey and Decastro on the inside and either Colon or Foster at the other OG spot this coming September..........and have no problem with that.

The OL is solid. It needs time to gel.

Hopefully the OL coach who replaces Kugler is a good one... and doesn't bring in his own Jonathon "Rollerskates" Scott- who is now on his 5th team as a member of the mighty Bears OL.

I checked the Bills' forum and they are really high on Kraig Urbik who was released under Kugler before 2010 even started - to make way for Rollerskates I guess.

Basically under Kugler the first move the team made was to cut a 2nd year player who had showed some potential in his rookie season to make way for the worst T I have ever seen. Scott even started that year.

The Bills fans can't believe Urbik was signed for under 4M/yr as a G. :doh:

steeltheone
01-05-2013, 03:45 AM
The OL is solid. It needs time to gel.

Hopefully the OL coach who replaces Kugler is a good one... and doesn't bring in his own Jonathon "Rollerskates" Scott- who is now on his 5th team as a member of the mighty Bears OL.

I checked the Bills' forum and they are really high on Kraig Urbik who was released under Kugler before 2010 even started - to make way for Rollerskates I guess.

Basically under Kugler the first move the team made was to cut a 2nd year player who had showed some potential in his rookie season to make way for the worst T I have ever seen. Scott even started that year.

The Bills fans can't believe Urbik was signed for under 4M/yr as a G. :doh:

The OLiine is solid now? DeCastro looked like a punk and Adams need some work . im hoping both work out!

kan_t
01-05-2013, 04:04 AM
The OLiine is solid now? DeCastro looked like a punk and Adams need some work . im hoping both work out!
DeCastro only looks like a rookie against Atkins.

lloydwoodson
01-05-2013, 04:04 AM

DeCastro was in his first or second start ever and going up against the best interior d-lineman in the NFL in Geno Atkins when he got punked. Give him some time.

Adams is going to be a very solid LT for years to come.

Same as any other position players don't play their best until their third or sometimes fourth year.

How many first rounders does an offensive line need?

kan_t
01-05-2013, 04:07 AM
DeCastro was in his first or second start ever and going up against the best interior d-lineman in the NFL in Geno Atkins when he got punked. Give him some time.

Adams is going to be a very solid LT for years to come.

Same as any other position players don't play their best until their third or sometimes fourth year.

How many first rounders does an offensive line need?
Not sure if I want to move Adams to LT. He looks very comfortable at RT and his run blocking is excellent. His pass blocking is no doubt his weakness right now and I think Gilbert may be a better choice at LT next season.

lloydwoodson
01-05-2013, 04:23 AM
Not sure if I want to move Adams to LT. He looks very comfortable at RT and his run blocking is excellent. His pass blocking is no doubt his weakness right now and I think Gilbert may be a better choice at LT next season.

I think Starks is the best LT on the team. It will be interesting to see what happens to the line.

kan_t
01-05-2013, 04:58 AM
I think Starks is the best LT on the team. It will be interesting to see what happens to the line.
I agree. But I don't know if the Steelers could keep him. Lewis, Foster and Foote are likely their top priority.

lloydwoodson
01-05-2013, 09:05 AM
I agree. But I don't know if the Steelers could keep him. Lewis, Foster and Foote are likely their top priority.

That is fair. There are 3 tackles and only 2 spots. Maybe it is time for the Gilbert and Adams era.

Steeldude
01-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Salary cap implications will not allow the Steelers to cut Colon. There would be too much dead cap money.

The Steelers should have never given Woodley that ridiculous contract. He wasn't worth it then and he isn't worth it now.

teegre
01-05-2013, 10:20 AM
That is fair. There are 3 tackles and only 2 spots. Maybe it is time for the Gilbert and Adams era.

Or... maybe Gilbert switches to LG.

Hawaii 5-0
01-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Steelers Running Game Suffered The Most In 2012 Without Mike Adams On The Field

Saturday, January 5th, 2013 by Dave Bryan

It certainly wasn't a great season for the Pittsburgh Steelers when it came to running the football in 2012. In fact, it was a down right lousy one. They ended the season with 1,537 net yards rushing and that was the lowest output since 2003 when they rushed for 1,488 yards.

The Steelers offensive line once again suffered through several injuries in 2012 on their way to starting 7 different line combinations over the course of the season and that certainly played a role in the running game being lousy. The hardest position hit on the line this season was right tackle where Marcus Gilbert started 5 games there while rookies Mike Adams and Kelvin Beachum started 6 and 5 respectively. If that wasn't enough, guard Ramon Foster was forced to close out the season finale against the Cleveland Browns at right tackle after Beachum left the game with a concussion.

Adams, who suffered an ankle injury in the Week 12 loss to the Browns, was perhaps the biggest loss the Steelers had on their offensive line when it came to running the football in 2012. During the season the Steelers rushed for 4.56 yards per carry on plays when Adams was out on the field as opposed to 3.76 yards per carry when he wasn't. That's a .80 difference if you are scoring at home.

When Gilbert was on the field the Steelers rushed for 2.78 yards per carry and 3.82 when he wasn't. With Beachum it wasn't much better as the team rushed for 3.44 yards per carry with him on the field and 3.80 when he wasn't.

In the 5 full games that Adams started and played every snap in the Steelers rushed for 694 yards on 147 rushes for a very robust 4.72 yards per rush. The team of course went 4-1 in those 5 games with the lone loss coming against the Baltimore Ravens in Week 11. Keep in mind that they didn't have the services of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in that game.

Adams certainly had his problems in the pass protection department as a rookie, but it is hard to overlook the difference that he made in the run blocking department. This will be something that the Steelers can build on moving into 2013 when Adams is projected to be the starting left tackle if veteran Max Starks is not re-signed.

The Steelers have to find a way to run the ball better in 2013 and Adams certainly will be expected to play a big role in that.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/steelers-running-game-suffered-the-most-in-2012-without-mike-adams-on-the-field/

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Steelers Running Game Suffered The Most In 2012 Without Mike Adams On The Field

Saturday, January 5th, 2013 by Dave Bryan

It certainly wasn't a great season for the Pittsburgh Steelers when it came to running the football in 2012. In fact, it was a down right lousy one. They ended the season with 1,537 net yards rushing and that was the lowest output since 2003 when they rushed for 1,488 yards.

The Steelers offensive line once again suffered through several injuries in 2012 on their way to starting 7 different line combinations over the course of the season and that certainly played a role in the running game being lousy. The hardest position hit on the line this season was right tackle where Marcus Gilbert started 5 games there while rookies Mike Adams and Kelvin Beachum started 6 and 5 respectively. If that wasn't enough, guard Ramon Foster was forced to close out the season finale against the Cleveland Browns at right tackle after Beachum left the game with a concussion.

Adams, who suffered an ankle injury in the Week 12 loss to the Browns, was perhaps the biggest loss the Steelers had on their offensive line when it came to running the football in 2012. During the season the Steelers rushed for 4.56 yards per carry on plays when Adams was out on the field as opposed to 3.76 yards per carry when he wasn't. That's a .80 difference if you are scoring at home.

When Gilbert was on the field the Steelers rushed for 2.78 yards per carry and 3.82 when he wasn't. With Beachum it wasn't much better as the team rushed for 3.44 yards per carry with him on the field and 3.80 when he wasn't.

In the 5 full games that Adams started and played every snap in the Steelers rushed for 694 yards on 147 rushes for a very robust 4.72 yards per rush. The team of course went 4-1 in those 5 games with the lone loss coming against the Baltimore Ravens in Week 11. Keep in mind that they didn't have the services of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in that game.

Adams certainly had his problems in the pass protection department as a rookie, but it is hard to overlook the difference that he made in the run blocking department. This will be something that the Steelers can build on moving into 2013 when Adams is projected to be the starting left tackle if veteran Max Starks is not re-signed.

The Steelers have to find a way to run the ball better in 2013 and Adams certainly will be expected to play a big role in that.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/steelers-running-game-suffered-the-most-in-2012-without-mike-adams-on-the-field/

I dont think its as simple as this article, that Adams was so instrumental in the run game. I think when Adams was at RT, the Steelers mostly had Starks, Colon, Pouncey, Foster in the line with him. That is a solid O line if healthy.

I am really expecting to see Gilbert and Adams at the OT spots, I dont know which, but I actually expect to see Gilbert at LT. Starks likely will get paid elsewhere and we are going to see Pouncey, DeCastro, Adams, Gilbert penciled in come training camp.

torpedoshell31
01-06-2013, 09:36 PM
I worry about Adams at LT protecting Ben's blind side. He really struggled against the pass this year. However the Steelers staff clearly has Adams marked down as LT and Gilbert at RT.

madtowndrunkard
01-06-2013, 11:34 PM
I worry about Adams at LT protecting Ben's blind side. He really struggled against the pass this year. However the Steelers staff clearly has Adams marked down as LT and Gilbert at RT.

You do know he was a rookie right?

Add some experience to the two rookies that played on our O-line this past year.. along with Pouncey and Gilbert... I think we will have a very good O-line in the near future.

BTW... everyone is so concerned about losing Wallace. I've seen Brady and Manning play at very high levels with less then Sanders and Brown. Why do we need Wallace so bad? We can't replace Wallace? If our offense can't handle losing Heath Miller and Wallace next year... then I'll say it.. Ben is not so good after all.

IMO our running game needs a healthy O-line (obviously) and a better RB. Our RB's showed flashes of being starters... but none of them could do it consistently... that makes me think someone with more talent could excel on our team....especially with a healthy O-line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2013, 09:30 AM
You do know he was a rookie right?

Add some experience to the two rookies that played on our O-line this past year.. along with Pouncey and Gilbert... I think we will have a very good O-line in the near future.

BTW... everyone is so concerned about losing Wallace. I've seen Brady and Manning play at very high levels with less then Sanders and Brown. Why do we need Wallace so bad? We can't replace Wallace? If our offense can't handle losing Heath Miller and Wallace next year... then I'll say it.. Ben is not so good after all.

IMO our running game needs a healthy O-line (obviously) and a better RB. Our RB's showed flashes of being starters... but none of them could do it consistently... that makes me think someone with more talent could excel on our team....especially with a healthy O-line.

I dont think we will pay Wallace and he will leave. Not that big of a deal as he wasnt a huge factor this season anyways.

As for Brady and Manning doing better with lesser receivers............they make guys like Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Julian Edelmann, Troy Brown, etc look like good WR's. Ben Roethlisberger does not do that with anybody that I can recall. He's a top tier QB, but not the kind of guy that makes players around him better performers.

kan_t
01-07-2013, 10:04 AM

You're right. Ben is not as good as Peyton and Brady and there is no shame about that. Ben is going to be an all-time great and HOF QB. But Brady and Peyton are all-time top 10 QBs (or even top 5). It's like saying Franco Harris was not so good because he's not Jim Brown.

madtowndrunkard
01-07-2013, 10:12 AM
You're right. Ben is not as good as Peyton and Brady and there is no shame about that. Ben is going to be an all-time great and HOF QB. But Brady and Peyton are all-time top 10 QBs (or even top 5). It's like saying Franco Harris was not so good because he's not Jim Brown.

The point is... Ben does not need 2 probowl WR's to run this offense successfully. If he does, then he's no better then Matt Stafford. Which brings me to my other point... Losing Wallace is no big deal. Draft a WR in the 3rd round and be done with it. We've still got speed with out Wallace.

We need a RB WAY more then we need Wallace.

Off topic sort of....I'm assuming Heath will be on the IR starting next year...doesn't that mean his salary does not count against our cap?

torpedoshell31
01-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Of course I knew that Adams was a rookie and I fully expect him to be better next year against the pass(he's already a pretty good run blocker). My point was I would still feel more comfortable with Starks at LT for one more year.
I actually root extra hard for Adams, because he's from Mercer County where I live.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2013, 11:04 AM
The point is... Ben does not need 2 probowl WR's to run this offense successfully. If he does, then he's no better then Matt Stafford. Which brings me to my other point... Losing Wallace is no big deal. Draft a WR in the 3rd round and be done with it. We've still got speed with out Wallace.

We need a RB WAY more then we need Wallace.

Off topic sort of....I'm assuming Heath will be on the IR starting next year...doesn't that mean his salary does not count against our cap?

I agree, dont need to break the bank on Wallace. Brown, Sanders, Cotchery are a good enough start. I like Texas A& M Ryan Swope in the 3rd or 4th possibly.

RB's can be found anywhere, we need to get off the notion that we need a stable of bruisers like Redman and Dwyer. Anybody see the late round rookies that the Colts and Redskins started at RB this weekend?

If Heath is under contract, I think he counts against the cap. Expect to see Paulson and maybe David Johnson to start the season. I wish we kept Saunders and released Pope. :noidea:

kan_t
01-07-2013, 11:16 AM
I agree, dont need to break the bank on Wallace. Brown, Sanders, Cotchery are a good enough start. I like Texas A& M Ryan Swope in the 3rd or 4th possibly.

RB's can be found anywhere, we need to get off the notion that we need a stable of bruisers like Redman and Dwyer. Anybody see the late round rookies that the Colts and Redskins started at RB this weekend?

If Heath is under contract, I think he counts against the cap. Expect to see Paulson and maybe David Johnson to start the season. I wish we kept Saunders and released Pope. :noidea:
I hope they use a 4th/5th round pick on a TE. TE is a important part of Haley's offensive scheme and Ben also likes a big target. When Miller comes back, then the Steelers can use a two TE formation effectively.

Hawaii 5-0
01-07-2013, 11:29 AM
I hope they use a 4th/5th round pick on a TE. TE is a important part of Haley's offensive scheme and Ben also likes a big target. When Miller comes back, then the Steelers can use a two TE formation effectively.

the Steelers are reportedly very pleased and high on last year's 7th round draft pick David Paulson...

kan_t
01-07-2013, 11:30 AM
the Steelers are reportedly very pleased and high on last year's 7th round draft pick David Paulson...:doh::banging:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2013, 11:46 AM

Like Dan-O says, Paulson and Miller will be a good TE tandem.

I like Swope, as he is a guy drawing comparisons to Eric Dekker, Jordy Nelson in the way he plays.

the Steelers are reportedly very pleased and high on last year's 7th round draft pick David Paulson...

Fire Haley
01-07-2013, 11:51 AM

still not good enough - that is a weak line, I want a dominating LT

I know one thing, we've wasted enough 1st rd picks on defense lately - Ziggy and Cam were fizzles - Steelers have a much better track record picking OL early

Alabama or LSU OL players - that's what I want this time, big SEC hogs

torpedoshell31
01-07-2013, 12:12 PM

I know one thing, we've wasted enough 1st rd picks on defense lately - Ziggy and Cam were fizzles - Steelers have a much better track record picking OL early

I would like our first round pick to be Chance Warnack OG from Ala. He's 6'3 325, and he is an absolute mauler. I'm looking forward to see what he can do against the stout Irish line tonight.

Hawaii 5-0
01-07-2013, 04:34 PM
I would like our first round pick to be Chance Warnack OG from Ala. He's 6'3 325, and he is an absolute mauler. I'm looking forward to see what he can do against the stout Irish line tonight.

I'm also gonna keep a close eye on Warmack in tonight's game, it will be interesting to watch him try to block Manti Te'o.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2013, 06:05 PM

Bama and LSU not really putting out any great OT's that I can think of. Herman Johnson, Ciron Black, Joseph Barksdale. Been a while since Chris Samuels came out of bama.

Cant see the Steelers picking O line this year in the 1st and I really think the guys like Luke Joeckel and Lewan that are the top prospects are not dominant franchise LT's anyways.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm also gonna keep a close eye on Warmack in tonight's game, it will be interesting to watch him try to block Manti Te'o.

That is no match if Warmack gets hands on Teo. Too much size difference. I think Bama by 14 tonight.

teegre
01-07-2013, 06:10 PM

Watch Barrett Jones, as well.

lloydwoodson
01-08-2013, 12:30 AM

:doh: Cam is the best DL on the team. Ziggy is solid. People attacking the DL of the 2nd best rushing defense in the NFL is getting really old really fast.

Ziggy and Cam would both be making double what they are making if they played LE for a 4-3 team. Instead they are playing out of position in a 3-4 where they are not the focus of the defense but rather occupy players for Woodley's fat ass and a declining legend in Harrison.

Ziggy and Cam have not complained about their selection to a 3-4 team despite the fact it is costing them millions of dollars. In fact, Ziggy Hood is arguably the hardest worker on the team in the offseason. Cam would have had 79 tackles and 6 sacks this season if he had maintained production and had as many snaps as Keisel.

All Steelers fans can do is criticize the front office for drafting quality players in unflashy positions that will cost a helluva lot less than drafting a 1st round skill position.

The best left tackles cost ten million per year at a minimum. They are marginally cheaper than quarterbacks and the second most expensive position in the NFL. The Steelers have consistently drafted interior line on offense and interior line on defense because they are cheaper.

There was a time when the Steelers fans held the workmanlike types in high regard- the Aaron Smiths, Chris Hokes, James Farriors- and now the replacements for those players have been scapegoated. The players have not changed; the fans have.

torpedoshell31
01-08-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm afraid that Chance Warmack won't be around for us to draft after last night's dominating performance, I can't remember which ESPN announcer it was, but he said that Warmack was the best player on the field. He not only blows out the guy across from him, he then heads down field and smashes whoever else in his way. I see that Kiper said that he could go as high as #3 now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm afraid that Chance Warmack won't be around for us to draft after last night's dominating performance, I can't remember which ESPN announcer it was, but he said that Warmack was the best player on the field. He not only blows out the guy across from him, he then heads down field and smashes whoever else in his way. I see that Kiper said that he could go as high as #3 now.

I'd honestly be really surprised if we drafted O line in the 1st round this year.........especially a guard at #17. DeCastro and Adams in round 1 and 2 last year seems to be a big enough devotion to O line.

pete74
01-08-2013, 10:06 AM
I'd honestly be really surprised if we drafted O line in the 1st round this year.........especially a guard at #17. DeCastro and Adams in round 1 and 2 last year seems to be a big enough devotion to O line.

Agreed, and no way we draft another offensive lineman in round 1 regardless of who is there

maddog78
01-08-2013, 10:13 AM
I agree: when The Colon plays, he is a great.

Alas, the operative words are "when he plays."

No, he's not great. Good straight ahead blocker, can't pull, whiffs in pass pro too much.

He is also hurt way too much.

Keep Starks and Foster, please, and let Colon walk.

maddog78
01-08-2013, 10:16 AM
I like a 2013 starting line of this.

LT-Starks
LG-Colon
C-Pouncey
RG-DeCastro
RT-Gilbert

Backups
Adams at either tackle
Foster at either guard
Legursky at Center or guard
Beachum at tackle

If Adams can beat out either guy for the starting tackle job, great. You'll need a swing tackle as there will be injuries.

Adams benched and Fat Gilbert starting? Based on what? The running game went south when Adams got hurt. He should be fighting Starks for the LT spot, with the loser taking RT.

Until Gilbert loses weight and takes the game seriously, he's a backup.

maddog78
01-08-2013, 10:17 AM

Max is 30. Why can't he be the starting LT until the one we drafted, Adams, is ready?

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Ed.B. of the P-G believes the OL is being blown up

Three regular starters in the Steelers offensive line likely won’t return in 2013 and all three players who took turns starting at right tackle should start at three separate positions next season.

There is a caveat to all of this, of course – provided they all stay healthy.

Look for Max Starks and Ramon Foster to leave in free agency and Willie Colon to be released. Colon’s knee injury that placed him on injured reserve for the third straight season was the last straw. The Steelers want to move on and they believe they have the right man to replace him.

The Steelers drafted Kelvin Beachum – their fourth and final pick in the seventh round last year – to play guard even though he started all 52 games in his four years at SMU. When Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams were shelved by injuries after starting at right tackle, the Steelers turned to Beachum. He started there the final five games and did a nice job. It helped convince them he can start at guard – coincidentally, moving from and to the same position that Colon did.

They will turn the right tackle job over to Adams. Gilbert will start at left tackle. There was a time many assumed Adams would play left tackle, but he is a more natural right tackle, a better run blocker, and Gilbert’s more natural position is left tackle.

David DeCastro will take over at right guard as he did at the end of the season when he became healthy from his preseason knee injury. And, of course, there is three-time Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119444-ed-steelers-ol-to-have-different-look-in-13

Colon has been friends with Ben (Colon was a wingman in Milledgeville) so it will be interesting to see if Ben can avoid some sniping if Colon is released

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Ed.B. of the P-G believes the OL is being blown up

Three regular starters in the Steelers offensive line likely won’t return in 2013 and all three players who took turns starting at right tackle should start at three separate positions next season.

Look for Max Starks and Ramon Foster to leave in free agency and Willie Colon to be released. Colon’s knee injury that placed him on injured reserve for the third straight season was the last straw. The Steelers want to move on and they believe they have the right man to replace him.

The Steelers drafted Kelvin Beachum – their fourth and final pick in the seventh round last year – to play guard even though he started all 52 games in his four years at SMU. When Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams were shelved by injuries after starting at right tackle, the Steelers turned to Beachum. He started there the final five games and did a nice job. It helped convince them he can start at guard – coincidentally, moving from and to the same position that Colon did.

They will turn the right tackle job over to Adams. Gilbert will start at left tackle. There was a time many assumed Adams would play left tackle, but he is a more natural right tackle, a better run blocker, and Gilbert’s more natural position is left tackle.

David DeCastro will take over at right guard as he did at the end of the season when he became healthy from his preseason knee injury. And, of course, there is three-time Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119444-ed-steelers-ol-to-have-different-look-in-13

Colon has been friends with Ben (Colon was a wingman in Milledgeville) so it will be interesting to see if Ben can avoid some sniping if Colon is released

The Gilbert at LT and Adams at RT is what I expected. I really expect them to offer Ramon Foster a contract and not just let him go. Anointing Beechum to starting guard in year 2 is a bit of a shock.

steelfury02
01-09-2013, 08:25 AM
The Gilbert at LT and Adams at RT is what I expected. I really expect them to offer Ramon Foster a contract and not just let him go. Anointing Beechum to starting guard in year 2 is a bit of a shock.

I don't mind seeing Colon go - but, no Colon and no Starks and no Foster would be a big mistake IMO

teegre
01-09-2013, 08:58 AM

1. Leverage.

2. I had thought that Beachum might start at LG. BUT, as I posted elsewhere (about a month ago), I was doubtful of that move (Beachum at LG) because if they were indeed going to make that move, why did they have Pouncey playing LG (instead of Beachum)??? Of course, the simple answer is that Beachum was playing RT... but, still... I had my doubts (even though I had indeed suggested that exact move).

3. Leverage.

teegre
01-09-2013, 09:00 AM
I don't mind seeing Colon go - but, no Colon and no Starks and no Foster would be a big mistake IMO

I do not really have a problem with Beachum over The Colon (or, even over Foster).

Gilbert over Starks worries me a little bit. But, if the time is right (for Gilbert to take over), then the time is right.

[Personally, I do not know why Starks has been dismissed the past two seasons, and is now being shown the door. He has played great. I do not understand.]

Steeler7BR
01-09-2013, 09:12 AM
I do not really have a problem with Beachum over The Colon (or, even over Foster).

Gilbert over Starks worries me a little bit. But, if the time is right (for Gilbert to take over), then the time is right.

[Personally, I do not know why Starks has been dismissed the past two seasons, and is now being shown the door. He has played great. I do not understand.]

I would not have a problem with Beachum over both of that guys too. But there should be security I think if he wins the job against Foster in the summer it's good if not let him be a Back Up.

Gilbert in my eyes played a great year till the injury cut him off. But I also would worry about him starting at Left Tackle. Could be a little bit too much for him. And Starks played decent this year. I would re-sign Starks.

lloydwoodson
01-09-2013, 09:32 AM
If the Steelers cut Willie Colon before June 1st they save 1.2 million on the cap for 2013.

If the Steelers cut Colon after June 1st they save 5.5 million on the cap hit for 2013 but counts as 4.3 million as a dead money hit in 2014.

Colon will probably be cut. Steelers need Legursky and Foster back more. They also need Starks back but for some reason in the past haven't seen it that way. Maybe Kugler didn't like Starks I have no idea.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2013, 09:44 AM

Starks ate himself off the roster 2 years ago just like Trai Essex did and was reportedly close to 400lbs. Last season he was coming off an ACL injury so they didnt want to throw a lot of $$ at him.

The guy has played well the past 2 seasons, but I dont see the need to invest $5million in a guy that is older, never been that motivated to work on his conditioning and technique. Especially when you have 2 young draft picks that are on the roster.

Somebody else will play Starks a hefty $$. We could use the money elsewhere to spend on players. I welcome the Gilbert and Adams era!! :tt03:

Fire Haley
01-09-2013, 10:08 AM
:doh: Cam is the best DL on the team. Ziggy is solid.

based on what?

your undying love?

Solid? hahaha - they are both stiffs, neither was worthy of a 1st rd pick and don't even try to compare them to Aaron Smith - that is laughable

VaDave
01-09-2013, 10:17 AM
If I were a betting man, Starks will get an offer he can't refuse from another team that we can't afford to match. I would not be surprised if Foster got a decent offer at $2mil and up, both getting market rates for being starters.

With Startks age, this is his last shot at big money, and he's got to take it. I hate to see him go as he's been a class act, a decent player, and best yet, we got him on the CHEAP!!! Next year, he will not be so cheap .

As for Foster, yep, he's played a lot, yep, he's been durable, and yes, he is position flexible, but at his absolute best, he is barely servicable. DeCastro is a big upgrade.

I'm on the edge when it comes to Colon. The guy was still trying to learn the position when he went down this year. What we saw of him at LG was a huge upgrade over Keomautu, which schocked the snot out of me. Not that Kemo was the good, it was how much of an improvement Colon made from week one in our running game.

Anyway, the guy, being as strong as he is, has a habit of overworking the physical limitations of his human anatomy, which resulted in IR for the 2010 and 2011 seasons. This last injury was a fluke, and with medical attention this offseason, he should be ready to go, knocking the crap out of whoever is in front of him. I hope this offseason he drops about 30-40lbs to reduce the stress to his body. My guess is he stays with a restructured contract.

Beachum will become our ultimate swing man, but will have the highest upside of any swingmen we've had in the past.

Malecki should make the 53, and may bounce Legs off the roster. We'll see.

SteelersCanada
01-09-2013, 10:40 AM
We don't need Starks or Foster back. Put Gilbert at LT, Adams at RT and see if Beachum has progressed and improved his technique enough to start at LG for us. If not, find a Guard in the draft or cheap in free agency. We don't need to draft one in the higher rounds or spend 2 - 3 million bringing back Foster if our younger guys are ready to go.

Gilbert - Beachum (potentially, if he's ready and improved) - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams

kan_t
01-09-2013, 11:29 AM
We don't need Starks or Foster back. Put Gilbert at LT, Adams at RT and see if Beachum has progressed and improved his technique enough to start at LG for us. If not, find a Guard in the draft or cheap in free agency. We don't need to draft one in the higher rounds or spend 2 - 3 million bringing back Foster if our younger guys are ready to go.

Gilbert - Beachum (potentially, if he's ready and improved) - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams
The problem is the even Beachum is ready to go, the OL would have zero depth then. Given the OL injury history, I'm not comfortable about that. I prefer:

Gilbert - Foster - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams

Beachum as a back up

teegre
01-09-2013, 03:10 PM
The problem is the even Beachum is ready to go, the OL would have zero depth then. Given the OL injury history, I'm not comfortable about that. I prefer:

Beachum as a back up

I hear you. Depth is very important, especially on this team.

That said, a couple of late-round picks can be the back-up for far cheaper than Foster. Foster will want (& will get) $3 million per year. Legursky, a R7 pick, and a URFA will cost $2.5 million total (with Legursky costing $1.75 million of that figure).

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2013, 08:13 PM

Beachum as a back up

This is what I can see. Foster is a dependable starter and I think a better guard than Beechum at this point. This is a young and cap friendly group, along with a guy like Legursky that is your backup interior lineman.

Add another later round interior lineman backup and a cheap free agent and you have your 9 man O line rotation.

steelbelieve
01-09-2013, 09:56 PM
This team is going to have to make big - and rock the boat - kind of changes. We have a major salary cap issue right now. We're paying ALOT of money to some who are just, ummm, cruising along collecting checks.

I like Colon and when he plays, he's great. But all the holding penalties. False starts. Scuffles and temper issues. Is it worth it in the end? We had similar issues with Kemoeatu - could've been great - but dragged himself down with excessive performance penalties and temper issues that cost us more than it helped us.

Really, Colon isn't that special. he's a good, not great, straight ahead blocker but just average in space. We found that out this year. You're right though he's has an amazing ability to generate untimely holding calls, false starts and personal fouls. Oh, and then there's the fact he's been on the IR three years in a row now. There are a few tough decisions the Steelers have to make such as Wallace and maybe Mendenhall. Colon isn't one of them. Foster, at a lesser cap hit, has shown quality play and a level of durability that makes him a much wiser investment going forward--particularly for a cap-strapped team like the Steelers.

kan_t
01-10-2013, 12:13 AM
I hear you. Depth is very important, especially on this team.

That said, a couple of late-round picks can be the back-up for far cheaper than Foster. Foster will want (& will get) $3 million per year. Legursky, a R7 pick, and a URFA will cost $2.5 million total (with Legursky costing $1.75 million of that figure).
Legursky is also a FA and I would let him go and give those money to Foster. Then ask Beachum to take some snaps at C in the coming years.

In this case the Steelers don't really need to spend a lot to keep Foster.

teegre
01-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Legursky is also a FA and I would let him go and give those money to Foster. Then ask Beachum to take some snaps at C in the coming years.

In this case the Steelers don't really need to spend a lot to keep Foster.

I hear you: Foster is the better player (and, yes, Legursky is also a FA).

But, Legursky would be much cheaper. Foster started for two years, and will get $3 million. Legursky was "only" a back-up, and would be lucky to get $1.75 million.

GoFor7
01-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Per Ed Bouchette on Sulia:

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/b3a2e8f4-e603-48ae-aaaa-71669738277f/?source=twitter

The #Steelers offensive line will have a new look in 2013. Three veteran starters will be gone. Here's the new line

Three starters won't be back. Max Starks and Ramon Foster will leave as free agents and Willie Colon likely will be released.
The Steelers new offensive line will look like this LT Marcus Gilbert, LG Kelvin Beachum, C Maurkice Pouncey, RG David DeCastro, RT Mike Adams.

LayingTheWoodley56
01-10-2013, 03:57 PM
What's wrong with the new line? The organization has high hopes for both Decastro and Adams. Pouncey is entrenched as a perennial Pro Bowler. Beachum looked somewhat promising when pressed into duty this year. Hopefully, Gilbert can get healthy and develop into a consistent tackle.

If everyone plays up to their potential, we have a young line made up of two former first-rounders and two second-rounders. Not too shabby. They have to make it work together on the field, though.

Men of Steel
01-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Per Ed Bouchette on Sulia:

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/b3a2e8f4-e603-48ae-aaaa-71669738277f/?source=twitter

how does ed bouchette officially know this???

GoFor7
01-10-2013, 04:02 PM
how does ed bouchette officially know this???

It seems to be speculation. After all, Bouchette did say that Hines Ward would remain with the Steelers in 2012 right up until the moment Ward was actually cut. But the Steelers have had the tendency to want to keep dead weight on defense at the expense of the offense.

If the Steelers really want to get serious about protecting Ben, cut the dead weight on defense, spend money on the o-line.

GoFor7
01-10-2013, 04:08 PM
What's wrong with the new line? The organization has high hopes for both Decastro and Adams. Pouncey is entrenched as a perennial Pro Bowler. Beachum looked somewhat promising when pressed into duty this year. Hopefully, Gilbert can get healthy and develop into a consistent tackle.

If everyone plays up to their potential, we have a young line made up of two former first-rounders and two second-rounders. Not too shabby. They have to make it work together on the field, though.

Beachum isn't starter caliber, and there would be zero veteran presence. Not good enough for a team that claims it wants to protect its QB.

Like I said, cut the dead weight on defense, spend money on quality offensive linemen to protect the $102 million dollar investment.

harrison'samonster
01-10-2013, 04:40 PM
personally, I still think letting Starks go would be a mistake. Starks doesn't give up sacks and he stays healthy.

Hawaii 5-0
01-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Ed: Steelers OL to Have Different Look in '13

WEDNESDAY, 09 JANUARY 2013 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

Their backups are to be determined because at the moment only John Malecki is under contract from their season-ending roster.

That, ladies and gents, is your 2013 Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line. Check back for medical updates.

FrancoLambert
01-10-2013, 04:59 PM
A lot of uncertainty across the line: youth and inexperience, propensity for injuries, positional changes.
But the changes are necessary. Time to freshen up this unit and the team. Let the young guys play and hopefully they show they were worthy picks.
Goes for the D-line too.

GoFor7
01-10-2013, 05:05 PM
A lot of uncertainty across the line: youth and inexperience, propensity for injuries, positional changes.
But the changes are necessary. Time to freshen up this unit and the team. Let the young guys play and hopefully they show they were worthy picks.
Goes for the D-line too.

When the team proclaims it wants to make protecting its QB a top priority, you don't just throw in a bunch of inexperienced guys and hope it works. If Bouchette's report turns out to be accurate, and the Steelers keep more dead weight on defense instead of spending money to keep Ben upright, then they look very hypocritical.

teegre
01-10-2013, 05:53 PM
When the team proclaims it wants to make protecting its QB a top priority, you don't just throw in a bunch of inexperienced guys and hope it works.

Two R1 picks (Pouncey & DeCastro) and two R2 picks (Gilbert & Adams), plus a R7 pick who played very well as a rookie (Beachum). That is indeed making a commitment to the O-line.

Cutting The Colon not only leaves more money for signing Wallace (which BB would like, no?), but gives the team a healthier player at his position (The Colon has not played a full season in three years, with only one game in the previous two... so, was he even really a starter???).

GoFor7
01-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Two R1 picks (Pouncey & DeCastro) and two R2 picks (Gilbert & Adams), plus a R7 pick who played very well as a rookie (Beachum). That is indeed making a commitment to the O-line.

Cutting The Colon not only leaves more money for signing Wallace (which BB would like, no?), but gives the team a healthier player at his position (The Colon has not played a full season in three years, with only one game in the previous two... so, was he even really a starter???).

You really think Beachum is the long term solution at LG? Hell, I'd take Foster over him. Remember, Jonathan Scott played well enough in 2010. How'd he do in 2011? When it comes to protecting the franchise, you need to put more money into it than just guys that have been in the league for 1 or 2 years. A guy like Starks should not be allowed to just walk away.

It shouldn't come down to cutting good o-linemen to keep Wallace. Like I said, cut the dead weight from the defense.

Hawaii 5-0
01-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Ed: Legursky Important for Steelers to Sign

TUESDAY, 08 JANUARY 2013 08:51 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

--- Mike Tomlin continues to have his exit interviews with players. He’s dragging this thing out, probably because he’s not used to having so much time on his hands.

--- Of all the Steelers free agents, Doug Legursky may not seem to be the most coveted, but he will be by his own team. Legursky is the only legitimate backup to Maurkice Pouncey, and he also can fill in at guard. That’s a two-for they’re not likely to find elsewhere. With Ramon Foster also an unrestricted free agent, signing Legursky is important for them.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119433-ed-legursky-important-for-steelers-to-sign

teegre
01-10-2013, 07:41 PM
You really think Beachum is the long term solution at LG? Hell, I'd take Foster over him. Remember, Jonathan Scott played well enough in 2010. How'd he do in 2011? When it comes to protecting the franchise, you need to put more money into it than just guys that have been in the league for 1 or 2 years. A guy like Starks should not be allowed to just walk away.

It shouldn't come down to cutting good o-linemen to keep Wallace. Like I said, cut the dead weight from the defense.

Foster was an URFA.
Beachum is a R7 pick.

Get it?

As in: who's to say that Beachum isn't the next Foster? Beachum played very well at RT.

Agreed: I'd keep Starks, and slide Gilbert to LG. Although, the rationale might be that Starks will cost more... and that money can be used for Wallace.

Agreed: don't bring back Foote & Hampton... and... who else???

BKAnthem
01-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Hopefully we get an Oline coach who gets in Gilbert ass, dude was like a 300lb weakling out there

Hawaii 5-0
01-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Steelers Expected to Keep Ramon Foster over Willie Colon for Left Guard Position

When the Steelers were put on the clock during the 2012 NFL Draft they were ecstatic to see that the top guard in the draft, David DeCastro of Stanford, was still on the board. They wasted no time making DeCastro their selection and added him to a young core of players on their improving offensive line. DeCastro, a right guard in college, is expected to play on the right side for many years to come and the Steelers hope he will help improve a struggling running game.

On the left side the Steelers have been looking for a replacement sine Alan Faneca left via free agency. Chris Kemoeatu gave the Steelers four penalty filled, but decent years at left guard. Kemoeatu was never the player the Steelers hoped he would be however, and they are still looking for their guy. In 2012 they moved Willie Colon from right tackle to left guard and he played well at times, but doesn’t seem to fit the position.

The Steelers are looking for young athletic offensive lineman. Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro fit the bill as do Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert, who project as the offensive tackles of the future. Pittsburgh would like to use their guards to pull and get to the edge, but Colon is unable to move well enough to do so. Ramon Foster may also struggle to pull due to his size, but a lighter more athletic Foster could be the perfect answer at left guard.

Foster just turned 27 and hasn’t had any injury issues during his career. He was the Steelers second most consistent lineman in 2012 behind Max Starks and the Steelers will try and lock him up this off-season. Willie Colon, on the other hand, will turn 30 in a few months and hasn’t played a full season of football since 2009.

Colon is still under contract for the 2013 season, but cutting him is a very likely option for the Steelers as it would save them around $1.2 million in total. However, it would save them around $5.5 million in 2013 and cause a cap hit of around $4.3 million in 2014. Therefore, the Steelers would open up the space to sign Foster as well as save some extra cap space, but they would have to deal with that cap hit in 2014.

So the Steelers best bet would be to cut Colon and resign Foster to a long-term deal. One thing they must do this off-season, however, is to get Foster into a training regimen. Foster should look to lose around 10-20 pounds, add strength, and improve his agility this off-season. If he can do that the Steelers should have a very strong interior on the offensive line with Foster, DeCastro and Pouncey; of course that all depends on if they can stay healthy.

Both Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette have said this is the scenario that they expect to see play out this off-season. Willie Colon is a talented football player, but bad luck and not fitting into the scheme that Todd Haley is looking for will force him out of Pittsburgh. When Haley was in Kansas City as the Chiefs head coach he had one of the lightest offensive lines in the NFL, but he also led the league in rushing.

If Foster and other Steelers players are looking for a good training system to get into better shape they may want to talk to Ziggy Hood. During the 2012 off-season Hood trained with Outer Limits Sports and cut his body fat percent, dropped weight, added muscle, and got more athletic.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_expected_to_keep_ramon_foster_over_willie _colon_for_left_guard_position/12635485

teegre
01-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Steelers Expected to Keep Ramon Foster over Willie Colon for Left Guard Position

When the Steelers were put on the clock during the 2012 NFL Draft they were ecstatic to see that the top guard in the draft, David DeCastro of Stanford, was still on the board. They wasted no time making DeCastro their selection and added him to a young core of players on their improving offensive line. DeCastro, a right guard in college, is expected to play on the right side for many years to come and the Steelers hope he will help improve a struggling running game.

On the left side the Steelers have been looking for a replacement sine Alan Faneca left via free agency. Chris Kemoeatu gave the Steelers four penalty filled, but decent years at left guard. Kemoeatu was never the player the Steelers hoped he would be however, and they are still looking for their guy. In 2012 they moved Willie Colon from right tackle to left guard and he played well at times, but doesn’t seem to fit the position.

The Steelers are looking for young athletic offensive lineman. Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro fit the bill as do Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert, who project as the offensive tackles of the future. Pittsburgh would like to use their guards to pull and get to the edge, but Colon is unable to move well enough to do so. Ramon Foster may also struggle to pull due to his size, but a lighter more athletic Foster could be the perfect answer at left guard.

Foster just turned 27 and hasn’t had any injury issues during his career. He was the Steelers second most consistent lineman in 2012 behind Max Starks and the Steelers will try and lock him up this off-season. Willie Colon, on the other hand, will turn 30 in a few months and hasn’t played a full season of football since 2009.

Colon is still under contract for the 2013 season, but cutting him is a very likely option for the Steelers as it would save them around $1.2 million in total. However, it would save them around $5.5 million in 2013 and cause a cap hit of around $4.3 million in 2014. Therefore, the Steelers would open up the space to sign Foster as well as save some extra cap space, but they would have to deal with that cap hit in 2014.

So the Steelers best bet would be to cut Colon and resign Foster to a long-term deal. One thing they must do this off-season, however, is to get Foster into a training regimen. Foster should look to lose around 10-20 pounds, add strength, and improve his agility this off-season. If he can do that the Steelers should have a very strong interior on the offensive line with Foster, DeCastro and Pouncey; of course that all depends on if they can stay healthy.

Both Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette have said this is the scenario that they expect to see play out this off-season. Willie Colon is a talented football player, but bad luck and not fitting into the scheme that Todd Haley is looking for will force him out of Pittsburgh. When Haley was in Kansas City as the Chiefs head coach he had one of the lightest offensive lines in the NFL, but he also led the league in rushing.

If Foster and other Steelers players are looking for a good training system to get into better shape they may want to talk to Ziggy Hood. During the 2012 off-season Hood trained with Outer Limits Sports and cut his body fat percent, dropped weight, added muscle, and got more athletic.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_expected_to_keep_ramon_foster_over_willie _colon_for_left_guard_position/12635485

I think that 96% of us would agree with this move. Cut The Colon... and re-sign the dude who has started in 31 out of 32 games (and played well while doing so).

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I think that 96% of us would agree with this move. Cut The Colon... and re-sign the dude who has started in 31 out of 32 games (and played well while doing so).

Yup, I think that is what Kan-T said and I agreed a couple pages back. Still, a long offseason and I'll believe what I see, when I see it.

Hawaii 5-0
01-13-2013, 12:40 PM
On the Steelers: Beachum will be part of rebuilt offensive line

January 13, 2013
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/12/287/tomlinjpg_420.jpg

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin likely will have to deal with a new-look offensive line in 2013.

The Steelers offensive line will change dramatically for 2013.

Three regular starters likely won't return and all three players who took turns starting at right tackle should start at separate positions.

There is a caveat to all of this, of course: Provided they all stay healthy.

Look for Max Starks and Ramon Foster to leave in free agency and Willie Colon to be released. Colon's knee injury that placed him on injured reserve for the third season in a row was the last straw. The Steelers want to move on, and they believe they have the right man to replace him.

They drafted Kelvin Beachum -- their fourth and final pick in the seventh round last year -- to play guard, even though he started at tackle for all 52 games of his four years at SMU. When Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams were shelved by injuries after starting at right tackle, the Steelers turned to Beachum. He started the final five games and did a nice job. It helped to convince them he can start at guard.

They will turn right tackle over to Adams. Gilbert will start at left tackle. There was a time many assumed Adams would play left tackle, but he is a more natural right tackle, a better run blocker, and Gilbert's more natural position is left tackle.

David DeCastro will take over at right guard as he did at the end of the season when he became healthy. And, of course, there is three-time Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey.

Their backups are to be determined because at the moment only John Malecki is under contract from their season-ending roster.

That, ladies and gents, is your 2013 Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line. Check back for medical updates.

The medical charts

As to those medical problems, Art Rooney II is correct in his plans to investigate them further. It's not just been this season, but last season as well, that the team suffered an inordinate number of injuries.

The first place to look would be at the various leg injuries. Do they have more than other teams? If so, how do they alter their approach in training or practices to prevent them?

There is also the matter of the new CBA that limits the time in which players can be supervised in their training during the offseason by coaches or trainers, even when they're working out at the team facility.

"I think that we have to look at as a league where we are with some of the rules in terms of conditioning and how often the players can be in the building and what they can do here," Rooney said. "I'd like to see us have some of that loosened up a little bit. That obviously is not something that is completely in our control.

"In terms of things that are within our control, we have to look at those things and make sure we are doing the best we can. I think the other thing we have to do is to make our players aware that under the rules we are all operating under now, it's more on them to make sure they are performing and doing their offseason conditioning. We only have access to them for nine weeks, which is not that many weeks in the overall scheme of things. I think it is incumbent on the individual players to be more aware of that.

"Most of our players now go to one of these off-site training programs and participate in those things, at least for some part of the offseason. There is a lot that goes into it."

Ike Taylor and, previously, James Farrior were examples of that. Taylor was an iron man, playing 135 consecutive games at cornerback before a hairline fracture of his right ankle knocked him out of the final four games this season. Farrior missed a total of six games in his decade with the Steelers, no more than two in one season. Both trained extremely hard with trainers in the offseason.

Remember Jed Hughes?

A former Steelers linebackers coach is leading the search team to hire a new general manager for the New York Jets and is the one who chose Omar Khan to be interviewed.

Jed Hughes, who coached the linebackers under Chuck Noll from 1984-88, heads the sports division of the executive search firm Korn/Ferry of Los Angeles. He has been in that business for 20 years and lives in Ligonier, where he had made his home for nearly two decades.

Hughes tapped Khan once before when he was conducting the search for Seattle's general manager. Khan interviewed for that job three years ago.

Hughes fell victim to a sweeping change in Noll's coaching staff after a 5-11 season in 1988. He was one of several coaches fired by Noll, who was under pressure from Dan Rooney to make those changes. Another change Noll made in that process was to tell Tony Dungy he would be demoted from defensive coordinator to secondary coach. Dungy resigned instead.

The Haley interview

Why all the mystery and denials that Todd Haley was interviewing in Arizona for the Cardinals head-coaching job Wednesday?

That was a strange series of events. Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic writes that a source told him he would be interviewed. I confirmed it with two sources at the Steelers, and then president Art Rooney II confirmed it publicly on two different occasions to four reporters.

So why did Haley's agent continue to deny in strong terms to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network and NFL.com that he was interviewing with Arizona?

Strange indeed. Not long after the Steelers gave Arizona permission to interview Haley, word filtered out that Haley might not interview with the Cardinals unless he was sure they were serious in hiring him. Sources said Haley was happy with his job and did not want the Steelers to think he was job-hunting.

Maybe that is why he and/or his agent wanted to try to keep the interview with the Cardinals quiet. It occurred, we are told, at an undisclosed location. But the Steelers are the ones who acknowledged the interview, so they obviously knew. What would be the purpose of trying to keep others in the dark?

Either way, the fiasco should in no way impugn Haley's qualifications for the job, and, so far, he wasn't the one who lied about it. His agent more likely badly fumbled orders from Haley to keep it quiet. He would have been better off saying nothing at all.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-beachum-will-be-part-of-rebuilt-offensive-line-670169/#ixzz2HsVctIqa

Hawaii 5-0
01-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Moving forward

TUESDAY, JANUARY 15, 2013
by Dale Lolley

It's all just speculation until a new offensive line coach is named - and there's no hurry there at this point - but with three key offensive linemen heading into free agency, the Steelers are going to have a different starting group in 2013.

Left tackle Max Starks, guard Ramon Foster and backup center/guard Doug Legursky will all be unrestricted free agents, and the Steelers could have a tough time bringing any of them back.

Starks and Foster want to start, and that opportunity might not be available with the Steelers. Of the three, Legursky could be the one who re-signs with the Steelers to continue as Maurkice Pouncey's backup - though he's shown enough as a true center to justify a team taking a chance on him as a starter.

With the Steelers having taken Maurkice Pouncey, Marcus Gilbert, David DeCastro and Mike Adams with premium draft picks in the past three years, they figure to hold down four of the starting spots. At what position - at least for Gilbert and Adams - remains to be seen.

At this point, if I were positioning them, Adams would be the left tackle and Gilbert would be the right. But that could change.

I know Adams struggled at left tackle last preseason, but he was a rookie at that point, seeing his first playing time. He's now had a decent amount of game experience and should have a better understanding of what's required.

At the same time, Adams proved to be a very good run blocker in the games he started this season, which would seemingly make him a better fit on the right side.

As for Gilbert, I question his footwork for a move to the left side. He also had issues last season on the right side handling power pass rushers, but again, perhaps an offseason to work on technique and strength will be good for him.

The wildcard in the equation is Kelvin Beachum. Beachum was taken late in last year's draft to be the new Trai Essex, a guy capable of playing guard or tackle.

He proved to be reasonably solid as a pass blocker, but didn't have the functional strength to run block. He's another player who will benefit from an offseason in the weight room.

The Steelers are trying to get away from the big, hulking, overweight linemen of the past - which is what you get when you fill your line with late-round draft picks.

And they've done a good job of becoming more athletic up front.

The next step is getting those linemen in the right places.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2013/01/moving-forward.html