PDA

View Full Version : Top seventeen

teegre
01-02-2013, 01:50 AM
The Steelers hold the 17th pick. I know that QBs and WRs will creep higher in the draft than they really should; so, there will be five "skill" position guys that sneak into the top 17… which will push 12 other players that the Steelers want right down towards them… in other words, leaving plenty of options for the Steelers. Please, post your "top 17" players. And, of course, please highlight:

a) which player who you hope makes a "DeCastro type of drop"
b) which player you REALLY want (realistically)
c) which player is most "likely" to be the actual pick.

Will go, but not for Steelers:
1. Geno Smith, QB, WVU
2. Matt Barkley, QB, USC
3. Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
4. Mike Glennon, QB, NC St.
5. Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas

Possible Steelers picks:
6. Manti Te'o, ILB, ND (A - hope he drops)
7. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
8. Demontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M
10. Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah
11. Bjoern Werner, OLB, Florida St.
12. Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
13. Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia
14. Kenny Vaccaro, SS, Texas (C - I think that he will be the actual pick)
15. Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU

"Could" be the pick, depending on The Colon (& whether Gilbert switches to LG and/or if Starks returns):
16. Chance Warmack, LG, Alabama
17. Luke Joekel, LT, Texas A&M
18. Tyler Lewan, LT, Michigan
19. Barrett Jones, LT/LG, Alabama

It might be a tad high, but I really want:
20. Matt Elam, SS, Florida (B - I really want this kid to be a Steeler)

kan_t
01-02-2013, 02:21 AM
a) Manti Te'o
b) Dion Jordan/ Barkevious Mingo
c) Dion Jordan/ Barkevious Mingo

I don't think Te'o will drop to Steelers' reachable range. You still need to give up a lot in order to move from 17th to 10th-12th range and I doubt the Steelers will do it. There is no mid-first round S talent this year so unless they trade down, I think they will pick a OLB. I don't know which OLB they like but it seems that Jordan and Mingo suit to the LeBeau's scheme the best and both would be a value pick at 17th. I'm happy if they do pick one of them.

kan_t
01-02-2013, 02:43 AM
I think there is a chance that he falls to 2nd round. If he does then I want the Steelers to trade up and grab him.

teegre
01-02-2013, 02:45 AM
I think there is a chance that he falls to 2nd round. If he does then I want the Steelers to trade up and grab him.

That would be a-maz-ing!!! I would trade the R3 pick to get him at the top of R2.

My ultimate draft would be:
R1 - Te'o
R2 - Elam

Everything else is just icing.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-02-2013, 02:52 AM
Elam hasn't declared yet and reports say he won't.
If teo is around at the 12th pick I could see us trading up.
The thing about this draft is that there's a few players that would fit the scheme and need of the Steelers that are top 10 picks and others that are in the 22-32 range. So it looks like it will be a year to trade up or down. Most tines I would be against trading down but since there will be quality players in rounds 2-3 I wouldn't mind trading down selecting vaccaro and picking up two bpa in round 2

OX1947
01-02-2013, 02:59 AM
Clowney and Timmons in the middle with Spence as the 5th linebacker in certain packages. I may have just jizzed in my pants thinking about that.

kan_t
01-02-2013, 03:24 AM
The thing about this draft is that there's a few players that would fit the scheme and need of the Steelers that are top 10 picks and others that are in the 22-32 range. So it looks like it will be a year to trade up or down. Most tines I would be against trading down but since there will be quality players in rounds 2-3 I wouldn't mind trading down selecting vaccaro and picking up two bpa in round 2

I think Dion Jordan and Barkevious Mingo both would fit the scheme and are in the 10-20 range.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-02-2013, 04:14 AM
I think Dion Jordan and Barkevious Mingo both would fit the scheme and are in the 10-20 range.

Mingo needs to show he has the strength to hold his own against nfl lineman and for someone who is value that high he only had 5.5 sacks. As far as Jordan I think he's a reach in the range his value went up because of the success jpp and aldon smith had ie what Chandler Jones was last year.

kan_t
01-02-2013, 04:42 AM
Mingo needs to show he has the strength to hold his own against nfl lineman and for someone who is value that high he only had 5.5 sacks. As far as Jordan I think he's a reach in the range his value went up because of the success jpp and aldon smith had ie what Chandler Jones was last year.
The number of sack is a bit misleading to Mingo's case IMO. He still generated lots of QB pressure and helped to make plays. His ceiling is off the limit and I hope the Steelers take a chance on him. Your mention of JPP and Aldon Smith is valid but I don't think Jordan is a reach at mid-first round. If everything goes right, I think he's as good as JPP and Aldon Smith. Also he's a well rounded OLB instead of a pure pass rusher. That would fit in LeBeau's scheme perfectly.

Rick5895
01-02-2013, 04:46 AM
Clowney and Timmons in the middle with Spence as the 5th linebacker in certain packages. I may have just jizzed in my pants thinking about that.

Clowney still has to go back for 1 more year. I doubt we will have a top 5 pick in 2014 to get him, if he declares after his junior season because that is certainly where he will go.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-02-2013, 05:47 AM
The number of sack is a bit misleading to Mingo's case IMO. He still generated lots of QB pressure and helped to make plays. His ceiling is off the limit and I hope the Steelers take a chance on him. Your mention of JPP and Aldon Smith is valid but I don't think Jordan is a reach at mid-first round. If everything goes right, I think he's as good as JPP and Aldon Smith. Also he's a well rounded OLB instead of a pure pass rusher. That would fit in LeBeau's scheme perfectly.

I like Jordan don't get me wrong he's potential is off the charts and I wouldn't mind taking him at 17 I suppose depending who was on the board. But because of jpp and smith we might see a team pick him higher. If we went olb in first I would like to see Moore or Werner but both will most likely be a top 10 pick.

My question to you is how has Jordan been in pass coverage man and zone?

teegre
01-02-2013, 11:37 AM

I was thinking about this, as well. After the top few players, there is a group of about 15-20 that I would not mind seeing as a Steelers.

While I am not more confident than ever that there WILL be a great talent available at 17, I am also convinced that the Steelers could trade down to 24-26 (pick up an extra R2 pick) and STILL get just about as good of a player as they would have gotten at 17.

This reminds me of the 2001 draft, where the Steelers were targeting Dan Morgan. He got drafted, and they traded down (because there was like five NTs drafted that year)... picked up Casey Hampton a few picks later (who they would have gotten at 16, if they had stayed)... and got an extra pick.

Then, the Steelers traded up in R2 (since they now had that extra pick), for an ILB (Kendrell Bell) since they had missed out on Morgan.

So...
Trade back a few spots, with a team desperate for "some" player, pick up an extra pick, and then use that extra pick to trade up in R2 (for one of those third-tier players).

[Note: After that second-tier group of twenty, there is another twenty or so that would grade out as late-R1 players... so, trading up from 47 to even 42 (or 35) would be a great move... if the Steelers did indeed have an extra pick.]

steelfury02
01-02-2013, 11:46 AM
I need to get on par with some of you draft board aficionados - Steelers could be very active this draft, maybe even to the tune of a Troy-like draft activity?

teegre
01-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Speaking of the top tier of players:

21. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama

He is rated much higher than 21; he will go somewhere in the top 10. But, I forgot to list him. Regardless, he is not (IMO) a targeted position for the Steelers... but, since he's the top CB in this draft, he will push some other player down to the Steelers at 17.

As far as the aforementioned second-tier of players (a group of about 15-20), here are some players who would still be good picks, were the Steelers to trade down (to 22-27).

22. John Hankins, NT, Ohio St.
23. John Jenkins. NT, Georgia
24. Sylvester Williams, NT, North Carolina
25. John Cooper, LG, North Carolina
26. Sam Montgomery, OLB, LSU
27. Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan

That said, as you can see, the OLBs would likely be gone (although I think 2 or 3 will drop down, and regardless, there are quite a few R2 prospects), but there are plenty of NTs & O-linemen. I know that most are high on McClendon, but with NT being the key to the 3-4, an upgrade is not out of the question... especially since we do not know the future of Ta'amu.

SteelersCanada
01-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Dion Jordan is the best pure-pass rusher in this draft. He's fast, agile and can get around tackles. He's not as strong as Aldon Smith was coming out and he's a little rough around the edges, but he's going to make a great OLB for us (I truly believe that's who we're taking).

To Teegre's point - the OLB's won't be gone. Okafor, Jordan, Mingo and Montgomery will still be on the board when we pick. I'm leaning toward Mingo if he's on the board because of his high upside and potential, but I can see the argument against him as well. I'm very, very much against taking a NT or OG in the first round (or at all, really) until we see what McLendon and Ta'amu can do when they're given a starting opportunity. To the offensive line, let's get Gilbert - Foster - Pouncey - DD - Adams together and we'll see what happens before we take another linemen in the first round.

I'm leaning toward our first four rounds looking like ..

R1. Barkevious Mingo / LSU - DE / 3-4 OLB
R2. Cordarrelle Patterson or Robert Woods / Tennessee & USC - WR
R3. Robert Lester / 'Bama - SS
R4. Nico Johnson / 'Bama - ILB

Fits our needs and fills older positions with young and explosive guys.

Regarding Manti Te'o - I have a strong, strong feeling that the Saints are going to be taking him at 15. As talented as he is, I say we don't trade up for him. There's better prospects for more important positions we're going to have open to us at 17 and trading up would hinder our reloading process for our defense. If anything, trade down and get Matt Elam in the 22 - 26 range, pick up extra picks and blow the 2014 draft on getting Jadeveon Clowney, but we've already been over that.

We can't go wrong in this draft which is the first time in a long time I've said that.

blackandgoldsc
01-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Why is everyone so hot to trot on Te'o?
I really can't see him as a Steeler. To me he just doesn't fit what we do. We attack the QB (in theory)....that really isn't his strength. Please educate me (being serious, not sarcastic) as to why he would fit so well with us? I think we need players that would work well with what we do. For example, Brady is a great player but that doesn't mean he would do well as a Steeler.

SteelersCanada
01-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Why is everyone so hot to trot on Te'o?
I really can't see him as a Steeler. To me he just doesn't fit what we do. We attack the QB (in theory)....that really isn't his strength. Please educate me (being serious, not sarcastic) as to why he would fit so well with us? I think we need players that would work well with what we do. For example, Brady is a great player but that doesn't mean he would do well as a Steeler.

Te'o is at his best when he's blitzing and getting to the quarterback. While I agree that we need more of a coverage inside backer to play alongside Timmons, Te'o can do that too. While it's not his strong point and he excels at blitzing, he can play zone and man coverage decently enough.

teegre
01-02-2013, 04:09 PM
To Teegre's point - the OLB's won't be gone. Okafor, Jordan, Mingo and Montgomery will still be on the board when we pick. I'm leaning toward Mingo if he's on the board because of his high upside and potential, but I can see the argument against him as well. I'm very, very much against taking a NT or OG in the first round (or at all, really) until we see what McLendon and Ta'amu can do when they're given a starting opportunity. To the offensive line, let's get Gilbert - Foster - Pouncey - DD - Adams together and we'll see what happens before we take another linemen in the first round.

We can't go wrong in this draft which is the first time in a long time I've said that.

O-LINE
I think that it all depends on what the Steelers plan to do with Starks, Foster, and The Colon. If ANY of those three is brought back, then the O-line is essentially set. If Starks comes back, maybe Gilbert plays LG. If The Colon or Foster comes back, Gilbert plays LT.

Even if none of those three returns, the Steelers they could possibly go with this as a line:
Gilbert - Beachum - Pouncey - DD - Adams

That said, since they "could" have already used that line-up this past season, and instead moved Pouncey to LG, it tells me that they are not comfortable with this as their starting five. If all three players (Starks, Foster, and The Colon) leave, then a LG becomes a position of need.

I am not saying that the R1 pick should be an O-lineman, but it would not be the worst pick. More importantly, if they do indeed go OG in this draft, it needs to be a R1 pick; otherwise, it would not be an upgrade over their current roster.

Regardless, three of those O-linemen (Warmack, Lewan, Joekel) WILL go in the top 16, which will push a LB down to the Steelers.

NOSE TACKLE
I am a huge fan of Ta'ama. (We've discussed how I followed him in college, and that I felt that he was the steal of last year's draft.) But… his future is a huge question mark.

And, I think that McClendon needs to be given a chance.

Lastly, much like the O-line, if the Steelers do indeed decide to go NT in this draft, it needs to be a R1 pick; otherwise, it would not be an upgrade over their current roster.

CAN'T GO WRONG
I agree. There is going to be a ton of LBs (OLBs & ILBs) from which to choose. Even Kenny Vaccaro... or trading down. This is going to be a good draft. [/B]

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-02-2013, 05:16 PM
I really do think our best option will be to trade back and acquire another 2 round pick because like teegre said there a late First rounders that would be available in round 2.

As far as what position to draft I feel like our biggest needs are ilb, safety, olb, wr, oline, rb, corner in that order as of right now we will see what happens in the offseason as many of this will for sure change.

The reason for for ilb biggest that is our biggest question mark heading into the season. We don't know if foote will come back and if he does it will be for one more year. Spence is a question mark because no one knows what he will be, I tend to look at him as more of a Timmons type player not someone for our right ilb position but time will tell. It has to be addressed in the first 2 rounds maybe 3 if someone falls.

Safety would be my next priority because we all know we need to find replacement Troy and Clark. We currently have no backups on the team that project to be the potential starters, I've heard they like golden but we need a top notch playmaker back there.

Olb I think we all know there was little production from them this year and Harrison likely has one more year. The reason I but this 3rd is Jason worlds till the last game led our team in sacks in limited playing time. I do value him because he wasn't bad this year when he played he also was coming off wrist surgery and this offseason will get full strength back and will be lifting nomally, so I think he will be a quality starter. Also spence could maybe play there but that's all a big if.

As for wr, Wallace will be gone so someone fresh to bring in to compete will be needed, rb depending on what we do with mendy redman and dwyer. Online could also use good players because Gilbert injuries all of them.

Based on what I think our needs are I would

Trade back in first a select a guy like Kenny vaccaro or Elam if he declares. Vaccaro would be a great pick because he could backup Troy and Clark for a year or two learn the defense and learn from two greats at the position. This is also a huge value pick because at Texas he would often cover the slot wr and did it very well. So you get a good safety who could come in the first year and play the nickel slot position which will be needed if Lewis leaves and Allen takes the second cb spot

What every we get trading back I think we should use it to acquire 2 picks in round 2 or if we get a round 2 out of it move up with trading a 4th away.

There are so many players that are potential starters and good starters in this league that will go round 2 IMO. If we go safety round one. I believe it would be time to look at lb in round 2 and there are many options. A guy like chase Thomas olb Stanford would be a good pick, skov ilb Stanford, Gerald hodges penn state and many others as I'm sure we will discuss closer to draft.

But I really love Gerald hodges most places have him as a round 3 guy but I believe he will go sooner than that. I feel like he will be a mold of narravo bowman sf linebacker. He had great production in college I think he had 3 seasons will 100 plus tackles. He's projected olb but I believe he would be a great inside guy which he played in his junior year if I'm not mistaken. He will be available when we pick in the second and would provide great value being a guy who can play both line backing position. And we all know Tomlin loves guys who can play multiple positions.

Also I have posted before if we lose Wallace I would like us to pick up quinton Patton wr for la tech. If you don't know who he is look him up. Potential first round cb banks from Texas a&m said he was the best wr he faced all season. I would select this guy in the ack part of round 2 or early part of round 3.

As of right now I would be really happy with vaccaro, hodges, and Patton as our first three picks, none are big name picks but will be quality starters in this league.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-02-2013, 05:24 PM
And for the nose tackle debate I don't believe pick one this year unless its round 5 or later. McClendon has shown us that he can be the starter and he provides a little pass rush ability that Hampton did not. And the cause from tammau I loved this kid in college and thought we should of taken him in round 3 and was really upset when we passed on him be extremely happy he was there in the fourth. As far as his arrest a feel like he will stay on the team I mean they must really like him and see him as a great player to keep him around after what he has done.

Justp94
01-02-2013, 10:03 PM
The Steelers hold the 17th pick. I know that QBs and WRs will creep higher in the draft than they really should; so, there will be five "skill" position guys that sneak into the top 17… which will push 12 other players that the Steelers want right down towards them… in other words, leaving plenty of options for the Steelers. Please, post your "top 17" players. And, of course, please highlight:

a) which player who you hope makes a "DeCastro type of drop"
b) which player you REALLY want (realistically)
c) which player is most "likely" to be the actual pick.

Will go, but not for Steelers:
1. Geno Smith, QB, WVU
2. Matt Barkley, QB, USC
3. Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
4. Mike Glennon, QB, NC St.
5. Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas

Possible Steelers picks:
6. Manti Te'o, ILB, ND (A - hope he drops)
7. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
8. Demontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M
10. Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah
11. Bjoern Werner, OLB, Florida St.
12. Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
13. Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia
14. Kenny Vaccaro, SS, Texas (C - I think that he will be the actual pick)
15. Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU

"Could" be the pick, depending on The Colon (& whether Gilbert switches to LG and/or if Starks returns):
16. Chance Warmack, LG, Alabama
17. Luke Joekel, LT, Texas A&M
18. Tyler Lewan, LT, Michigan
19. Barrett Jones, LT/LG, Alabama

Is there any CBs worth drafting in the first round? I know for a fact we need more depth at CB and another shut down corner like Ike Taylor.

SteelersCanada
01-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Is there any CBs worth drafting in the first round? I know for a fact we need more depth at CB and another shut down corner like Ike Taylor.

Dee Milliner is a very good CB, but after him the class drops off considerably. After him, I don't believe there's a corner that warrants a first round pick but if I'm being honest with you, I don't think we need to use a high pick (rds.1 through 4) on acquiring one. With the sudden and almost overnight development of Cortez Allen and Keenan Lewis playing well, we seem to be set. Behind them, I have very high hopes and expectations for Van Dyke. He was one of my favorite guys coming out of the draft back in 2011 and was hoping we'd take him in the fourth.

There are guys that are very high on Jonathan Banks and Jordan Poyer, but I wouldn't use a first round pick on them. While they seem to have a high ceiling and great potential, they're too raw for a first round pick.

cbrunn
01-02-2013, 10:41 PM
You guys would really rather have Te'o over Jarvis Jones ?????????????

cbrunn
01-02-2013, 10:47 PM
anyway player I hope falls is Jarvis Jones

Dream
1 - Jarvis Jones - OLB
2 - Phillip Thomas - FS
3 - Gerald Hodges - ILB
4 - Duke Williams - SS

realistic

1 - Kenny Vaccaro - FS - Texas
2 - Andrew Jackson - ILB - Western Kentucky (if he declares)
3 - Duke Williams - SS - Nevada
4 - Brandon Jenkins - OLB - Flordia State / Trevardo Williams - OLB - UCONN

teegre
01-02-2013, 10:57 PM
I really do think our best option will be to trade back and acquire another 2 round pick because like teegre said there a late First rounders that would be available in round 2.

As far as what position to draft I feel like our biggest needs are ilb, safety, olb, wr, oline, rb, corner in that order as of right now we will see what happens in the offseason as many of this will for sure change.

The reason for for ilb biggest that is our biggest question mark heading into the season. We don't know if foote will come back and if he does it will be for one more year. Spence is a question mark because no one knows what he will be, I tend to look at him as more of a Timmons type player not someone for our right ilb position but time will tell. It has to be addressed in the first 2 rounds maybe 3 if someone falls.

Safety would be my next priority because we all know we need to find replacement Troy and Clark. We currently have no backups on the team that project to be the potential starters, I've heard they like golden but we need a top notch playmaker back there.

Olb I think we all know there was little production from them this year and Harrison likely has one more year. The reason I but this 3rd is Jason worlds till the last game led our team in sacks in limited playing time. I do value him because he wasn't bad this year when he played he also was coming off wrist surgery and this offseason will get full strength back and will be lifting nomally, so I think he will be a quality starter. Also spence could maybe play there but that's all a big if.

As for wr, Wallace will be gone so someone fresh to bring in to compete will be needed, rb depending on what we do with mendy redman and dwyer. Online could also use good players because Gilbert injuries all of them.

Based on what I think our needs are I would

Trade back in first a select a guy like Kenny vaccaro or Elam if he declares. Vaccaro would be a great pick because he could backup Troy and Clark for a year or two learn the defense and learn from two greats at the position. This is also a huge value pick because at Texas he would often cover the slot wr and did it very well. So you get a good safety who could come in the first year and play the nickel slot position which will be needed if Lewis leaves and Allen takes the second cb spot

What every we get trading back I think we should use it to acquire 2 picks in round 2 or if we get a round 2 out of it move up with trading a 4th away.

There are so many players that are potential starters and good starters in this league that will go round 2 IMO. If we go safety round one. I believe it would be time to look at lb in round 2 and there are many options. A guy like chase Thomas olb Stanford would be a good pick, skov ilb Stanford, Gerald hodges penn state and many others as I'm sure we will discuss closer to draft.

But I really love Gerald hodges most places have him as a round 3 guy but I believe he will go sooner than that. I feel like he will be a mold of narravo bowman sf linebacker. He had great production in college I think he had 3 seasons will 100 plus tackles. He's projected olb but I believe he would be a great inside guy which he played in his junior year if I'm not mistaken. He will be available when we pick in the second and would provide great value being a guy who can play both line backing position. And we all know Tomlin loves guys who can play multiple positions.

Also I have posted before if we lose Wallace I would like us to pick up quinton Patton wr for la tech. If you don't know who he is look him up. Potential first round cb banks from Texas a&m said he was the best wr he faced all season. I would select this guy in the ack part of round 2 or early part of round 3.

As of right now I would be really happy with vaccaro, hodges, and Patton as our first three picks, none are big name picks but will be quality starters in this league.

I agree with most of what you said.

I think Vaccaro is a smart pick (even though I obviously am a fan of Elam).

Hodges has been mentioned by others, and I like the pick... as well as Shayne Skov (although, Skov might even be there in R3).

I am not keen on drafting a WR, but that is only MY opinion. I still think that Wallace gets re-signed (I know that I'm in the minority on that one). Regardless, honestly, I know little about Patton, because I've never seen him play.

teegre
01-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Dee Milliner is a very good CB, but after him the class drops off considerably. After him, I don't believe there's a corner that warrants a first round pick but if I'm being honest with you, I don't think we need to use a high pick (rds.1 through 4) on acquiring one. With the sudden and almost overnight development of Cortez Allen and Keenan Lewis playing well, we seem to be set. Behind them, I have very high hopes and expectations for Van Dyke. He was one of my favorite guys coming out of the draft back in 2011 and was hoping we'd take him in the fourth.

There are guys that are very high on Jonathan Banks and Jordan Poyer, but I wouldn't use a first round pick on them. While they seem to have a high ceiling and great potential, they're too raw for a first round pick.

I agree: Dee is the ONLY CB worthy of being taken in R1.

More importantly, I agree 100% about this:
With Ike, Keenan, & Cortez, there is NO need for a CB before R4. Personally, I like Leon McFadden (SDSU), because I watched him a lot in college... and, because he is a really good CB. If he is there in R5, I'd like to see him drafted. But, alas, after people watch tape on him, he will undoubtedly go R3 (or earlier).

teegre
01-02-2013, 11:02 PM
You guys would really rather have Te'o over Jarvis Jones ?????????????

I think that we are all being "realistic." Jarvis goes top three.

teegre
01-02-2013, 11:04 PM
anyway player I hope falls is Jarvis Jones

Dream
1 - Jarvis Jones - OLB
2 - Phillip Thomas - FS
3 - Gerald Hodges - ILB
4 - Duke Williams - SS

realistic

1 - Kenny Vaccaro - FS - Texas
2 - Andrew Jackson - ILB - Western Kentucky (if he declares)
3 - Duke Williams - SS - Nevada
4 - Brandon Jenkins - OLB - Flordia State / Trevardo Williams - OLB - UCONN

I like the Brandon Jenkins pick... but, I doubt that the Steelers take a shot on him (even though it worked out well for the Rams & Janoris Jenkins).

And, obviously, Vaccaro is who I see being there & being drafted at #17... unless... the Steelers go OLB in R1 (Jordan, Mingo) and then trade up for Elam in R2 (which would make me the happiest fan in Steelerdom).

cbrunn
01-02-2013, 11:05 PM
I think that we are all being "realistic." Jarvis goes top three.

Jones Injury concern could make him drop ... and with players that will shine at the combine could push him down too ...

I expect players like Dion Jordan , Ziggy Ansuh , and Magnus Hunt to really shoot up boards ... with Jordan and Ansuh to be top 10 picks ... and Magnus could be top 20

Not to mention QBs are usually always over picked ... WRs and Corners could jump also

I think it's actually realistic that Te'o and Jones are both still on the board ... but more realistic that Te'o will be

teegre
01-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Jones Injury concern could make him drop ... and with players that will shine at the combine could push him down too ...

I expect players like Dion Jordan , Ziggy Ansuh , and Magnus Hunt to really shoot up boards ... with Jordan and Ansuh to be top 10 picks ... and Magnus could be top 20

Not to mention QBs are usually always over picked ... WRs and Corners could jump also

I think it's actually realistic that Te'o and Jones are both still on the board ... but more realistic that Te'o will be

Good point(s). Injuries push players down... like Heath. :wink02:

SteelersCanada
01-02-2013, 11:22 PM
I'd love for Jones to be on the board when we pick. The chances of that happening, though, are probably in the >1% range. Even if he slips out of the top 10, he wouldn't get by the Panthers or the Rams. Being a Panthers fan, I can tell you that OLB right now is shaky at best and we need someone that isn't perennially hurt to line up with Kuechly (hey, Beason, looking right at you buddy).

Realistically, we're looking at four names to draft at 17 (without overdrafting Elam). Mingo, Jordan, Okafor or Vaccaro. I'm personally against taking Vacarro as this is a deep secondary class, but I can certainly understand the ideology behind bringing him here.

teegre
01-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Realistically, we're looking at four names to draft at 17 (without overdrafting Elam). Mingo, Jordan, Okafor or Vaccaro. I'm personally against taking Vacarro as this is a deep secondary class, but I can certainly understand the ideology behind bringing him here.

True. There are a ton of safeties in this draft. Then again, there are also a ton of R2 & R3 linebackers.

In other words, there is not really a "wrong" way to go in this draft:
S... then LB.
LB... then S.
Either way, it's a good, deep draft at those two positions.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-03-2013, 01:58 AM
True. There are a ton of safeties in this draft. Then again, there are also a ton of R2 & R3 linebackers.

In other words, there is not really a "wrong" way to go in this draft:
S... then LB.
LB... then S.
Either way, it's a good, deep draft at those two positions.

Agree no matter what we do we should come out with 2 quality players in the first 2 rounds and maybe even in round 3 I could see a few guys being available. We are in a goodspot to rebuild and retool this draft

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-03-2013, 03:45 AM
Teegre you got your wish after the game Elam announced that he is declaring for the draft
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/03/two-florida-gators-declare-for-nfl-draft-following-sugar-bowl/

desertsteel
01-03-2013, 04:28 AM
No way that those 4 QBs are going in the top 16. IMO, no QB will be off the board at that point, unless it's Geno (maybe)

nikstar
01-03-2013, 04:42 AM
No talk at all about drafting a TE? I don't watch much college football being in Canada, so this draft might be really light on quality TE's but it seems like it would be a good idea to draft a late round TE prospect since Heath did receive a serious injury and we don't exactly have any legitimate #1 TE's behind him.

kan_t
01-03-2013, 06:10 AM
My question to you is how has Jordan been in pass coverage man and zone?
IMO he's good at it. Oregon doesn't play him as a pure rusher and he often needs to cover receivers in short zones from drop-end position. He looks comfortable there.

I'm a happy man if the Steelers can draft one of them (Jordan and Mingo).

ebsteelers
01-03-2013, 09:37 AM
all i know is Matt Elam has the steeler look to him.

That boy can bring the wood

ebsteelers
01-03-2013, 09:38 AM
also posters, dont forget
bringing spence back, having decastro and adams hopefully for a full year is like having more rookies

kan_t
01-03-2013, 10:02 AM

I can see someone like Jordan or Mingo shoots up the board after the combine. But there must be a big red flag for Jones' health record to make him drop out of top 10 or he needs to totally disappear at the combine. In that case I'm not sure I want the Steelers to take a chance on him.

teegre
01-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Teegre you got your wish after the game Elam announced that he is declaring for the draft
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/03/two-florida-gators-declare-for-nfl-draft-following-sugar-bowl/

Is it December 25th??? Because, I just hit another gift!!!

You made my day, brother.

Now... one more gift/request... make Christmas come one final time on April 25th (or, early on April 26th).

teegre
01-03-2013, 11:11 AM
all i know is Matt Elam has the steeler look to him.

Yes... he certainly does.

teegre
01-03-2013, 05:03 PM
No way that those 4 QBs are going in the top 16. IMO, no QB will be off the board at that point, unless it's Geno (maybe)

Should those four QBs go in the top 16?
No.

Could they easily creep into the top 16, because QBs are over-drafted?
Absolutely.

There are numerous teams that need a QB. Those teams "could" wait until R2 (as Cincy did with Dalton), but more often than not, they reach in R1 (as opposed to missing out on them in R2).

Think about it this way:
Let's use the NYJets as an example. They need a QB. They can take one at 9... or, hope that one drops to 40. Chances are, since other teams also need QBs, someone will jump in front of them; hence, the NYJets would probably need to move back into R1 (at 30-32)... which would cost them next year's R1 pick. [Note: Trading into 31-32 would simultaneously be making the "rich get richer": a SuperBowl team would get an extra R1 pick.]

So, like Christian Ponder, these four QBs have a good chance of being drafted "higher than expected."

Chiefs
Jags
Raidahs
Eagles
Cards
Bills
NYJets

nj1923steelgirl
01-03-2013, 05:17 PM
I know there is no chance for this but I would LOVE for us to get Te'o

SteelersCanada
01-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Geno Smith and Matt Barkley are both first round locks. While only really Geno Smith deserves to go this high, teams will overdraft Barkley in hopes of rebuilding a franchise. I don't think I'm going out on a limb here by saying the Jets will take Barkley at 9, hoping to Jesus (or Tebow) that he can be the starter in New York. So, when this experiment fails in another 4 - 5 years, they'll be drafting one again.

Look for the Bills to also reach for a quarterback in the first round. Ryan Fitzpatrick is awful. Just awful. I know they threw their confidence behind him and said "he's our guy", but they also said Chain Gailey was "their guy" so I'm putting no stock into what they're saying. At all.

The Eagles have to do something as do the Cards. While it's less-likely that a QB goes to either of these teams, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did take one. Whoever the new HC of the Eagles is probably won't want Napoleon Dynamite ... oh, sorry, Nick Foles, as their starting quarterback heading into the future. The Cardinals have Kevin Kolb, John Skelton and Ryan Lindley as their Quarterbacks and all three have started games this year. Now, I don't really need to go into depth as to why that's a huge red flag and an issue that needs to be resolved but I will say that if Haley does head into Arizona, he's going to want a Quarterback they can build a franchise around.

That's 5 teams that all have the potential to take one in the first round. Realistically, as Teegre pointed out, there's 7 teams that could make a move for a QB in the first round. Obviously they all won't, but I'm willing to bet the farm that all 7 of those teams draft one within the first three rounds and at least three of them reach for one in the first round.

All of this means good things for us, as the more QBs taken off the board leaves more prospects for us.

edit -- also, I'm going to add to this list. The Cowboys have a shot at taking a Quarterback in the first round. They're picking after us, sure, but they traded up last year to get Claiborne and I can see them doing it again to grab a QB. If they trade with a team like Miami that doesn't need a Quarterback, then it's one more pick that we don't have to worry about. I'm telling you, we're going to have our choice of pass-rushers in this draft.

Hawaii 5-0
01-03-2013, 05:25 PM
I know there is no chance for this but I would LOVE for us to get Te'o

you never know, everyone was saying the same thing about David DeCastro last year...

SteelersCanada
01-03-2013, 05:32 PM
you never know, everyone was saying the same thing about David DeCastro last year...

This is different, though. There's at least two teams that could use his services and one of them will probably cut their defensive captain and starting MLB this offseason to save cap space. I'm telling you guys right now - Te'o isn't going to be on the board when we pick and even if he is, if there are elite pass-rushing prospects on the board (there will be) we can't take him.

I'll settle for Nico Johnson in the fourth as our starting ILB with Timmons.

teegre
01-03-2013, 05:51 PM
This is different, though. There's at least two teams that could use his services and one of them will probably cut their defensive captain and starting MLB this offseason to save cap space. I'm telling you guys right now - Te'o isn't going to be on the board when we pick and even if he is, if there are elite pass-rushing prospects on the board (there will be) we can't take him.

DALLAS
You are correct. As soon as that final game ended, the rumor-mill in Dallas was flurry with talk about replacing Romo. It would not surprise me AT ALL if Dallas drafted a QB in R1.

I think that they need O-line, but I could see them drafting a QB... and, to ensure that they got "their guy", even trading up a few spots to nab him.

TE'O DROPPING
Wait... I thought that you had said that Te'o would drop to 17. You can't be playing with my emotions, man.

Really though, I had already convinced myself that he is a Charger.

PASS-RUSHER
I am convinced that not only will a great OLB be there, that the Steelers will have their choice of about five of them.

Three of those QBs will go top 16 (if not all four). Three O-linemen will go top 16. A WR will sneaks in there. And, Dee Milliner, and Manti Te'o. That has nine players, leaving eight players for the Steelers.

I see Mingo, Jordan, Ogletree, Montgomery, & Okafor being there.

If they have a choice of five, I say that they trade back five spots (to 21), and take whichever pass-rusher is left over... (an pick up an extra R2 pick).

Then, with that extra, newly-acquired pick (I know that you what I am going to say)... trade back into the end of R1, and draft Matt Elam.

21 - Dion Jordan
32 - Matt Elam

NICO JOHNSON
We have agreed from day-one: Nico Johnson will be a Steeler.

SteelersCanada
01-03-2013, 06:45 PM
TE'O DROPPING
Wait... I thought that you had said that Te'o would drop to 17. You can't be playing with my emotions, man.

Really though, I had already convinced myself that he is a Charger.

The chances of him dropping to 17 are low at best. The Saints are in a worse cap situation than we are at roughly 17.5 million over the cap. Vilma is set to make 6.5 million dollars - a direct cap hit - and with the baggage that comes with him regarding the 'Bountygate' scandal, I'm almost positive they're letting him go. That, and he's on the wrong side of 30 now.

And with the 15th overall selection in the 2013 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select ... Manti Te'o, Linebacker - Notre Dame.

PASS-RUSHER
I am convinced that not only will a great OLB be there, that the Steelers will have their choice of about five of them.

Three of those QBs will go top 16 (if not all four). Three O-linemen will go top 16. A WR will sneaks in there. And, Dee Milliner, and Manti Te'o. That has nine players, leaving eight players for the Steelers.

I see Mingo, Jordan, Ogletree, Montgomery, & Okafor being there.

If they have a choice of five, I say that they trade back five spots (to 21), and take whichever pass-rusher is left over... (an pick up an extra R2 pick).

Then, with that extra, newly-acquired pick (I know that you what I am going to say)... trade back into the end of R1, and draft Matt Elam.

21 - Dion Jordan
32 - Matt Elam

NICO JOHNSON
We have agreed from day-one: Nico Johnson will be a Steeler.

This scenario just makes me happy. So, so happy. :drink:

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-03-2013, 08:00 PM

I would not settle for nico Johnson. His strength is in run support and has a major weakness in coverage. And what we need next to Timmons is a linebacker who is good at dropping back in coverage to allow Timmons what he does very well disrupting the back field. We don't see much of it because Timmons is in coverage a lot but when he does blitz something good happens.

Nico had a good jr year but was also playing with Hightower an ups has so the focus was on those two. He's sr year he didn't have the production he had a year before.

I do not want to "settle" for a ilb it's a major need and we need a quality player

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-03-2013, 08:02 PM
The chances of him dropping to 17 are low at best.

And with the 15th overall selection in the 2013 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select ... Manti Te'o, Linebacker - Notre Dame.

I think if teo iis around at 12 the steelers would have to consider trading up.

SteelersCanada
01-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Fiesta Bowl is on and my mancrush Dion Jordan is playing in it. Might want to tune in if you have doubts about this kid.

kan_t
01-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Fiesta Bowl is on and my mancrush Dion Jordan is playing in it. Might want to tune in if you have doubts about this kid.
My fear is that Te'o (likely), Jordan and Mingo all are gone before 17th. In this case I hope the Steelers trade down.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-03-2013, 08:41 PM

I'll be watching.

We all know he has the speed ill be looking at him in run support&/block shredding how strong he is when a oline an in locked on him and coverage

Also watch Arthur brown kstate lb

teegre
01-04-2013, 12:18 AM
My fear is that Te'o (likely), Jordan and Mingo all are gone before 17th. In this case I hope the Steelers trade down.

I hear you... so, let's hash this out.

Two QBs will go top 16 (if not four QBs). Three O-linemen will go top 16. A WR will sneak in there. That is six players who the Steelers do not want. On defense (where the Steelers will focus): Dee Milliner, Star Lotulelei, Demonte Moore, Bjeorn Werner, and Jarvis Jones will go top 16.

That makes eleven. Thus, we only need six players that we'd want.

One of these six players will be there (or if they all are gone, then at least one of the five aforementioned defenders will be there):
Te'o, Mingo, Jordan, Ogletree, Montgomery, & Vaccaro.

Heck, for safety's sake, you can even add Okafor... and Elam (:wink02:).

I am thinking that this is going to be a good draft four the Steelers.

SteelersCanada
01-04-2013, 10:44 AM
I was really disappointed that Jordan's shoulder was bothering him again last night. I mean, in one of the bigger games of his collegiate career he aggravates that shoulder and doesn't play a snap after the first quarter. I'm sure he's much more frustrated about it than scouts are, but I'm sure that might have raised a couple red flags for teams picking in the top 15.

teegre
01-04-2013, 10:59 AM
I was really disappointed that Jordan's shoulder was bothering him again last night. I mean, in one of the bigger games of his collegiate career he aggravates that shoulder and doesn't play a snap after the first quarter. I'm sure he's much more frustrated about it than scouts are, but I'm sure that might have raised a couple red flags for teams picking in the top 15.

The silver lining: Heath Miller dropped to 30, due to his hernia.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-04-2013, 11:02 AM

But he should be a star when it comes to the combine

cbrunn
01-04-2013, 01:13 PM
1) 2-14: Kansas City (.516) - Geno Smith (Desperate Need of QB)
2) 2-14: Jacksonville (.542) - Bjoern Werner ( Werner this year and Clowney Next year who can pass that up?)
3) 4-12: Oakland (.471) - Dee Milliner ( Pass Defense is horrible)
4) 4-12: Philly (.510) - Luke Joeckel (Need to protect Nick Foles or whoever)
5) 4-12: Detroit (.569) - Manti Te'o ( Leader for a troubled defense)
6) 5-11: Cleveland (.508) - Star Lotulelei (Him and Phil Taylor could be start of a dominate inside Dline)
7) 5-11: Arizona (.548) - Tajh Boyd (New coach New QB - If he declares I think he'll make a push for top 10 selection)
8) 6-10: Buffalo (.480) - Mike Glennon
9) 6-10: Tennessee (.510) - Damontre Moore
10) 6-10: Jets (.510) - Taylor Lewan (Surprise pick but they need help along the Oline, their offense sucks)
11) 7-9: San Diego (.473) - Sheldon Richardson (Inside Pass rush)
12) 7-9: Miami (.483) - Keenan Allen (Obvious Need)
13) 7-9: Tampa (.502) - Logan Ryan (Surprise but Greg Schiano goes with his player from Rutgers)
14) 7-9: Carolina (.514) - Terrance Williams (Give Cam some actual weapons)
15) 7-9: New Orleans (.522) - Johnathan Hankins (Need help stopping the run)
16) 7-8-1: St Louis - Eric Fisher ( Need to protect Sam)
17) 8-8: Pittsburgh (.464) - Jarvis Jones ( Cha Ching we hit the jackpot without having to trade up)

lol ok Maybe wishfull thinking ... but I don't think it's that much of a far fetched thing ... you never know what could happen... Fingers Crossed

teegre
01-04-2013, 09:53 PM
1) 2-14: Kansas City (.516) - Geno Smith (Desperate Need of QB)
2) 2-14: Jacksonville (.542) - Bjoern Werner ( Werner this year and Clowney Next year who can pass that up?)
3) 4-12: Oakland (.471) - Dee Milliner ( Pass Defense is horrible)
4) 4-12: Philly (.510) - Luke Joeckel (Need to protect Nick Foles or whoever)
5) 4-12: Detroit (.569) - Manti Te'o ( Leader for a troubled defense)
6) 5-11: Cleveland (.508) - Star Lotulelei (Him and Phil Taylor could be start of a dominate inside Dline)
7) 5-11: Arizona (.548) - Tajh Boyd (New coach New QB - If he declares I think he'll make a push for top 10 selection)
8) 6-10: Buffalo (.480) - Mike Glennon
9) 6-10: Tennessee (.510) - Damontre Moore
10) 6-10: Jets (.510) - Taylor Lewan (Surprise pick but they need help along the Oline, their offense sucks)
11) 7-9: San Diego (.473) - Sheldon Richardson (Inside Pass rush)
12) 7-9: Miami (.483) - Keenan Allen (Obvious Need)
13) 7-9: Tampa (.502) - Logan Ryan (Surprise but Greg Schiano goes with his player from Rutgers)
14) 7-9: Carolina (.514) - Terrance Williams (Give Cam some actual weapons)
15) 7-9: New Orleans (.522) - Johnathan Hankins (Need help stopping the run)
16) 7-8-1: St Louis - Eric Fisher ( Need to protect Sam)
17) 8-8: Pittsburgh (.464) - Jarvis Jones ( Cha Ching we hit the jackpot without having to trade up)

lol ok Maybe wishfull thinking ... but I don't think it's that much of a far fetched thing ... you never know what could happen... Fingers Crossed

Interesting (original) picks. Two specific thoughts to consider:

DET - They just signed Tulloch (ILB) to a deal.

CLEV - They already have Ahtyba Rubin next to Phil Taylor (& he's arguably better than Taylor).

teegre
01-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Draft thought of the day:
With so many teams in the top 10 needing QBs... BUT, with so few quality QBs (not top-ten worthy).... AND with Dallas sitting at the perfect spot/wanting to draft one of these mediocre QBs...

Trade back from 17, with one of those teams in the top 10.

Those QB-needy teams would want to trade up from the top of R2, in order to get in front of Dallas; Pittsburgh could use multiple picks; and, this is a deep draft.

17 traded to JAX for;
the 34th pick
the 64th pick
& next year's R1 pick.

34 Matt Elam, S (from Jax)
47 Gerald Hodges LB (or) Barrett Jones LG
64 Shayne Skov, LB (from Jax)
79 Leon McFadden CB (or) Nico Johnson, LB
R4 Marcus Lattimore, RB (IR him for a year)

Then, in the 2014 draft (this is where it gets really good)... you know that JAX will have a top ten pick. Use that acquired pick top-ten pick, plus PITT's own R1 (& possibly R2 pick, depending on exactly where JAX's pick lands)...
...to trade up for CLOWNEY.