01-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Getting a "Ryan Matthews" would involve drafting a rb in the first round. That is a waste of a pick and Ryan Matthews isn't that good. Mendenhall is better than most of the 1st round running backs since 2001. Just look at all the busts!
List of 1st round running backs. I stole this from the Bengals website.
5. LaDainian Tomlinson, Texan Christian, 5'10" 215lbs
Best Season: 348carries, 1815yards, 28tds, 5.2ypc. 8 1000+ yard seasons.
Average Season: 288carries, 1244yards, 13tds, 4.3ypc
23. Duece McAllister, Mississippi, 6'1" 232lbs(8 seasons)
Best Season: 351carries, 1641yards, 8tds, 4.7ypc. 4 1000+ yard seasons.
Average Season: 178carries, 762yards, 6tds, 4.3ypc
27. Michael Bennett, Wisconsin, 5'9" 205lbs(10 seasons)
Best Season: 255carries, 1296yards, 5tds, 5.1ypc. 1 1000+ yard season.
Average Season: 84carries, 307yards, 1td, 4.4ypc
16. William Green, Boston College, 6'0" 217lbs(4 seasons)
Best Season: 243carries, 887yards, 6tds, 3.7ypc.
Average Season: 142carries, 527yards, 2tds, 3.7ypc
18. TJ Duckett, Michigan State, 6'0" 254lbs(7 seasons)
Best Season: 197carries, 779yards, 11tds, 4.0ypc
Average Season: 89carries, 351yards, 5tds, 3.9ypc
23. Willis McGahee, Miami, 6'0" 235lbs
Best Season: 294carries, 1207yards, 7tds, 4.1ypc. 4 1000+ yard seasons.
Average Season: 223carries, 920yards, 7tds, 4.1ypc
27. Larry Johnson, Penn State, 6'1" 235lbs(8 seasons)
Best Season: 336carries, 1750yards, 20tds, 5.2ypc. 2 1000+ yard seasons.
Average Season: 177carries, 787yards, 7tds, 4.4ypc
24. Steven Jackson, Oregon State, 6'2" 240lbs
Best Season: 346carries, 1528yards, 13tds, 4.4ypc. 7 1000+yard seasons.
Average Season: 267carries, 1136yards, 6tds, 4.3ypc
26. Chris Perry, Michigan, 6'0" 224lbs(4 seasons)
Best Season: 104carries, 269yards, 2tds, 2.6ypc
Average Season: 44carries, 151 yards, 3.4ypc
30. Kevin Jones, Virginia Tech, 6'0" 225lbs (5 seasons)
Best Season: 241carries, 1133yards, 5tds, 4.7ypc. 1 1000+ yard season.
Average Season: 159carries, 635yards, 5tds, 4.0ypc
4. Cedric Benson, Texas, 5'11" 227lbs
Best Season: 301carries, 1251yards, 6tds, 4.2ypc. 3 1000+ yard seasons.
Average Season: 218carries, 824yards, 4tds, 3.8ypc
2. Reggie Bush, USC, 6'0" 213lbs
Best Season: 216carries, 1086yards, 6tds, 5.0ypc. 1 1000+ yard season.
Average Season: 123carries, 529yards, 4tds, 4.3ypc
21. Laurence Maroney, Minnesota, 5'11" 220lbs(5 seasons)
Best Season: 185carries, 835yards, 6tds, 4.5ypc
Average Season: 123carries, 417yards, 3tds, 4.1ypc
27. DeAngelo Williams, Memphis, 5'9" 217lbs
Best Season: 273carries, 1515yards, 18tds, 5.5ypc. 2 1000+ yard seasons.
Average Season: 166carries, 841yards, 6tds, 5.1ypc
30. Joseph Addai, LSU, 5'11" 214lbs
Best Season: 261carries, 1072yards, 12tds, 4.1ypc
Average Season: 182carries, 742yards, 6tds, 4.1ypc
7. Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma, 6'1" 217lbs
Best Season: 363carries, 1760yards, 10tds, 4.8ypc. 5 1000+ yard seasons.
Average Season: 281carries, 1350yards, 13tds, 4.8ypc
12. Marshawn Lynch, California, 5'11" 215lbs
Best Season: 285carries, 1204yards, 12tds, 4.2ypc. 3 1000+ yard seasons.
Average Season: 227carries, 908yards, 7tds, 4.0ypc
4. Darren McFadden, Arkansas, 6'2" 210lbs
Best Season: 223carries, 1157yards, 7tds, 5.2ypc. 1 1000+ yard season.
Average Season: 138carries, 656yards, 4tds, 4.8ypc
13. Jonathan Stewart, Oregon, 5'10" 235lbs
Best Season: 221carries, 1133yards, 10tds, 5.1ypc. 1 1000+ yard season.
Average Season: 181carries, 875yards, 6tds, 4.8ypc
22. Felix Jones, Arkansas, 5'10" 217lbs
Best Season: 185carries, 800yards, 1td, 4.3ypc
Average Season: 114carries, 581yards, 2tds, 5.1ypc
23. Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois, 5'10" 225lbs
Best Season: 324 carries, 1273yards, 13tds, 3.9ypc. 2 1000+ yard seasons.
Average Season: 203carries, 841yards, 7tds, 4.1ypc
24. Chris Johnson, East Carolina, 5'11" 191lbs
Best Season: 358carries, 2006yards, 14tds, 5.6ypc. 4 1000+ yard seasons.
Average Season: 296carries, 1411yards, 9tds, 4.8ypc
12. Knowshon Moreno, Georgia, 5'11" 200lbs
Best Season: 247carries, 947yards, 7tds, 3.8ypc
Average Season: 155carries, 635yards, 4tds, 4.1ypc
27. Donald Brown, U.Conn, 5'10" 210lbs
Best Season: 134carries, 645yards, 5tds, 4.8ypc
Average Season: 113carries, 474yards, 3tds, 4.2ypc
31. Beanie Wells, Ohio State, 6'2" 229lbs
Best Season: 245carries, 1047yards, 10tds, 4.3ypc. 1 1000+ yard season.
Average Season: 179carries, 745carries, 6tds, 4.2ypc
9. CJ Spiller, Clemson, 5'11" 197lbs
Best Season: 107carries, 561yards, 4tds, 5.2ypc
Average Season: 90carries, 422yards, 2tds, 4.7ypc
12. Ryan Mathews, Fresno State, 6'0" 218lbs
Best Season: 222carries, 1091yards, 6tds, 4.9ypc. 1 1000+ yard season.
Average Season: 190carries, 884yards, 6tds, 4.7ypc
30. Jahvid Best, California, 5'10" 199lbs
Best Season: 171carries, 555yards, 4tds, 3.2ypc
Average Season: 127carries, 472yards, 3tds, 3.7ypc
My criteria to be considered worth your first round selection: average 200+ carries, and/or 800+yards, at least 4.0ypc, and 6tds per season. I didn't include receiving yards since the main job of a running back is to run the ball.
I made an exception for Deuce McAllister because the 4 seasons he saw real action he dominated.
-There were 28 running backs taken in the 1st round of the last 10 drafts.
-11 of the 28 backs taken in the first round lived up to their pick. That's roughly 39%.
-There were 6 running backs taken in the top10, only 2 lived up to their pick(Peterson, Tomlinson)
-The average pick of a 1st round running back is 19th.
-Only 1 successful 1st round running back was taken from the SEC, 4 total.
-The average size of a 1st round running back is 5'11" 219lbs. The average successful running back is 5'11" 221lbs.
-5 of the 11 successful 1st round running backs are at least 6'0" tall. Only one is under 5'10".
-Only 1 successful 1st round running back is under 215lbs, but there are 8 total.
-The average, average season of a 1st round running back is 165carries, 729yards, 5tds, 4.4ypc. The successful 1st running back averages 227carries, 1015yards, 8tds, 4.5ypc.
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.