PDA

View Full Version : Ben admits he rushed back too soon

Hawaii 5-0
01-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Roethlisberger admits he rushed back

2/31/12
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

It was only a week ago when the hot topic was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and his inability to bring back the Steelers late in games. I speculated that one explanation was Roethlisberger's health, and he essentially acknowledged Sunday that he rushed back from his rib and shoulder injuries.

After Sunday's regular-season finale, Roethlisberger initially told reporters that he was fine. Then, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Roethlisberger said, "I don't know if I'm healthy enough to go" to the Pro Bowl. He is currently a second alternate.

Roethlisberger injured his rib and shoulder on Nov. 12 against Kansas City and returned after missing three games. He lost three of four starts upon coming back and threw two costly interceptions late in losses to Dallas and Cincinnati.

Asked about his immediate goal, Roethlisberger said, "Just get healthy first and foremost. I already started to formulate a plan with [conditioning coach] Garrett Giemont to get my body better and ready to go."

Roethlisberger was sacked 30 times in 13 games this season, an average of 2.3 per game. That's slightly down from last season when he was sacked 2.6 times per game (40 in 15 games).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/62395/roethlisberger-admits-he-rushed-back

Gnutella
01-02-2013, 03:06 PM
This is another reason why the Steelers need a good, young backup QB, so they don't have to rush Ben back if he gets injured.

Quackjack
01-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Roethlisberger admits he rushed back

2/31/12
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

It was only a week ago when the hot topic was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and his inability to bring back the Steelers late in games. I speculated that one explanation was Roethlisberger's health, and he essentially acknowledged Sunday that he rushed back from his rib and shoulder injuries.

After Sunday's regular-season finale, Roethlisberger initially told reporters that he was fine. Then, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Roethlisberger said, "I don't know if I'm healthy enough to go" to the Pro Bowl. He is currently a second alternate.

Roethlisberger injured his rib and shoulder on Nov. 12 against Kansas City and returned after missing three games. He lost three of four starts upon coming back and threw two costly interceptions late in losses to Dallas and Cincinnati.

Asked about his immediate goal, Roethlisberger said, "Just get healthy first and foremost. I already started to formulate a plan with [conditioning coach] Garrett Giemont to get my body better and ready to go."

Roethlisberger was sacked 30 times in 13 games this season, an average of 2.3 per game. That's slightly down from last season when he was sacked 2.6 times per game (40 in 15 games).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/62395/roethlisberger-admits-he-rushed-back

Ben... :banging:

Fire Haley
01-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Hensley is a former Ravens hack, his speculation doesn't mean jack

hey, that rhymed

Edman
01-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Nope. Not buying it.

Injuries don't cause pick sixes or bad decisions. Your shoulder was hurt, not your brain. The issue here Ben is that you fucked up and you want to cover it up with the "I came back too soon" excuse. No, the issue isn't injury. You wanted to prove you were smarter than everyone, including "Know-Nothing" Haley and it ended up biting you in the ass.

His shoulder looked alright forcing the ball to a triple-covered Mike Wallace in Dallas resulting in losing the game, or misfiring down the field all over the place against Cincinnati. His athleticism looked okay getting happy feet against San Diego.

GoFor7
01-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Nope. Not buying it.

Last year was too soon, but I'm not buying the "injury" excuse this year.

No. Injuries don't cause pick sixes or bad decisions. Your shoulder was hurt, not your brain. The issue here Ben is that you fucked up and you want to cover it up with the "I came back too soon" excuse. No, the issue isn't injury. You wanted to prove you were smarter than the Steelers and it bit you in the ass.

His shoulder looked alright forcing the ball to a triple-covered Mike Wallace in Dallas resulting in losing the game, or misfiring down the field all over the place against Cincinnati. His athleticism looked okay getting happy feet against San Diego.

Triple coverage? Yo, it was single coverage. The Dallas DB made a play on the ball and it paid off.

And Ben probably is smarter than the OC that never won anything or the owner that never played a down of football in his life.

austinfrench76
01-02-2013, 03:29 PM
I agree COMPLETELY with Edman. The injury doesn't effect your decision making. Those were poor decisions and that's what killed us. If I remember, he made some other big throws, big plays in those games as well so it's not that he lost velocity or arm strength either. Poor play, by him. Damn it!

fansince'76
01-02-2013, 03:36 PM

Yep, that's certainly the same as blaming injury for why he made those poor throws and not some third-rate hack putting words in his mouth or anything. Don't see how I coulda missed it. :rolleyes:

But hey, any excuse to pile on some more, huh?

Gnutella
01-02-2013, 03:38 PM
The injury can affect your decision-making if your accuracy deteriorates and your WRs aren't getting open as often as before, leading to frustration and forced throws.

Hell, Peyton Manning was frustrated as hell during the 2005 AFC Divisional Playoff against the Steelers. He started forcing throws, as evidenced by the INT to Troy Polamalu that was wrongly overturned, misreading the defense, as evidenced by the sack he took on fourth down at his own 2-yard line late in the game, and missing open receivers, as evidenced by his last pass attempt of the game, which fell incomplete after being underthrown downfield while he had a short option wide open in the left flat that could have helped the Colts move the chains.

Plain and simple, when QBs get frustrated, they fuck up, regardless of how good they are otherwise.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Nothing surprising. Guy was injured, but the best option the Steelers had. If he isnt injured, then he doesnt throw it as poorly and miss WR's as bad as he did.

You guys crying that it was all bad decisions....the ball he threw at Wallace that was picked off in OT was thrown badly behind Wallace and into the defenders arms. A good throw and its a completion.

SteelersCanada
01-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Injuries don't cause pick sixes? What happens if you have an open receiver but due to an injury, you just don't have the strength to get the ball to him thus it gets underthrown and picked off? People are reaching for any reason to be pissed off and of course, they're finding reasons to pick on Ben and Tomlin.

torpedoshell31
01-02-2013, 03:53 PM
I still think there was something wrong with his arm whe he came back. He threw some passes straight down to the ground and his out passes didn't have the steam on them that they had before.

fer522
01-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Triple coverage? Yo, it was single coverage. The Dallas DB made a play on the ball and it paid off.

And Ben probably is smarter than the OC that never won anything or the owner that never played a down of football in his life.

Smarter than the OC and the OWNER?!?!?!?!?
He had a fucked up season period deal with it
The team wins and it's because of Ben the team loses and it's everybody's foult but Ben
Wake up he had a bad season but he'll be back next year

stb_steeler
01-02-2013, 04:01 PM
^ I agree, some of his passes hit the dirt. You could tell he wasnt right! but than again he prolly shouldnt have returned yet.

WVABE
01-02-2013, 04:04 PM
I was PO'ed when Ben came back, I knew damn well it was to soon.

At least he's not like the O-line, they get a little booboo and miss 3 weeks.

torpedoshell31
01-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Smarter than the OC and the OWNER?!?!?!?!?
He had a fucked up season period deal with it
The team wins and it's because of Ben the team loses and it's everybody's foult but Ben
Wake up he had a bad season but he'll be back next year

Wow! 26 TD's and only 8 int's for the year, more than a 3-1 ratio. I'll bet there is a lot of teams that wish their QB had that "bad" of a season.

OX1947
01-02-2013, 04:08 PM
I still think there was something wrong with his arm whe he came back. He threw some passes straight down to the ground and his out passes didn't have the steam on them that they had before.

Well, by that, dont you think if we, joe shmoe message board guy can assess that, couldnt a pro ball player and his coaches know not to make passes he cant make? Especially if its the same pass a week earlier that cost you a game?

Problem isnt the injury, its shit for brains between a numbskull QB and his equally dipshit coach. HEAD COACH. I do not believe in blaming freakin assistant coaches on teams. What are we gonna do next, blame the 3rd base coach for screwing up a playoff run in baseball? C'mon.

OX1947
01-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Wow! 26 TD's and only 8 int's for the year, more than a 3-1 ratio. I'll bet there is a lot of teams that wish their QB had that "bad" of a season.

Yah, Dante Culpepper threw for 39 TD's and only 11 Ints in 2004. What did that get him?

Stats are for LOSERS!

Edman
01-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Hey well, let's tank the season next year at the first sign of injury, since Ben apparently can't function competently unless he's at 100% all through the year.

Blame someone and something else, everyone's to blame but Ben.

Edman
01-02-2013, 04:15 PM

Steelers are sitting on the couch watching other teams play this weekend.

torpedoshell31
01-02-2013, 04:21 PM
If you can pencil Ben in next year for a 3-1 TD to Int ratio I'll take it in a minute.

Bayz101
01-02-2013, 04:22 PM
No one is 100% at the end of a football season, and NO ONE is going to recover from a shoulder injury in three weeks. Speculation was that Ben would be healed fully by the end of the season, but that isn't exactly how it works when your STILL PLAYING FOOTBALL. :doh:

His shoulder will need to heal for the majority of the playoffs, and probably won't be 100% by the time the Pro Bowl comes around.

vasteeler
01-02-2013, 05:31 PM
some of the reactions are amazing around here. ben had a few bad games and suddenly he is an idiot who cant play the game. before the injury he was having a career year. the offense was starting to pick up, haleys game plan was working well.

43Hitman
01-02-2013, 05:32 PM
No one is 100% at the end of a football season, and NO ONE is going to recover from a shoulder injury in three weeks. Speculation was that Ben would be healed fully by the end of the season, but that isn't exactly how it works when your STILL PLAYING FOOTBALL. :doh:

His shoulder will need to heal for the majority of the playoffs, and probably won't be 100% by the time the Pro Bowl comes around.

Exactly. Steeler fans are spoiled brats. People really need to just accept the fact that the Steelers will not win the SB every year.

Bayz101
01-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Exactly. Steeler fans are spoiled brats. People really need to just accept the fact that the Steelers will not win the SB every year.

They won't accept it, though.

Just bitch and moan for 200+ days until the new season starts, and until then, we'll have to listen to how Ben is bad QB and hopefully, just HOPEFULLY, the sound of their bitching will be muffled by Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees' balls in their mouths.

Hopefully.

43Hitman
01-02-2013, 05:47 PM
They won't accept it, though.

Just bitch and moan for 200+ days until the new season starts, and until then, we'll have to listen to how Ben is bad QB and hopefully, just HOPEFULLY, the sound of their bitching will be muffled by Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees' balls in their mouths.

Hopefully.

:chuckle: Here's to hopefully. :drink:

Fire Haley
01-02-2013, 05:52 PM
I am disgusted by all these comments by 'true fans"

Ben will come back and unleash hell just as soon as he's done playing with the baby.

Twentyvalve
01-02-2013, 06:07 PM
I knew he was hurt. He came back too soon as usual. This is getting old. The FO needs to address this. If he gets hurt next year, which chances are he will, they need to sit him. A week beyond the point at which he is cleared to return and wants to.

Ben playing injured is costing us games, and in this case, possible runs to the SB. We need a steady OL, and a dependable, young and capable QB. Anything else and we will be saying the same thing next year.

Lady Steel
01-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Ben's arm/shoulder didn't seem to be bothering him too much when he was waving it around yelling, "Cut!" :noidea: :laughing:

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Christmas-Carols-2012/6b741077-3ef1-49e7-ae43-214901a78428?campaign=pit%3Afanshare%3Afacebook

ZoneBlitzer
01-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Nope. Not buying it.

Injuries don't cause pick sixes or bad decisions. Your shoulder was hurt, not your brain. The issue here Ben is that you fucked up and you want to cover it up with the "I came back too soon" excuse. No, the issue isn't injury. You wanted to prove you were smarter than everyone, including "Know-Nothing" Haley and it ended up biting you in the ass.

I think his brain was hurt.

LVSteelersfan
01-02-2013, 06:56 PM
People can't believe there is a happy medium. Either Ben is great or Ben sucks and blew the whole season. The defense was just as much at fault for not making the playoffs this year as the offense was. When Ike went out, the D went out the window. Lebeau refused to put his CBs on the WRs and chuck them. They just got 10 yard passes over and over and over on second and third down.

Face it. Ben is a pretty good QB (not great) and the coaching staff is pretty good (not great) Pretty good only gets you so far in the NFL.

kan_t
01-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Am I missing something? Where could I find that he blamed his performance for his rush back?

Fire Haley
01-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Am I missing something? Where could I find that he blamed his performance for his rush back?

He didn't - - but that won't stop the barking seal herd from jumping in with their yonking

steelerchad
01-02-2013, 08:10 PM
I knew he was hurt. He came back too soon as usual. This is getting old. The FO needs to address this. If he gets hurt next year, which chances are he will, they need to sit him. A week beyond the point at which he is cleared to return and wants to.

Ben playing injured is costing us games, and in this case, possible runs to the SB. We need a steady OL, and a dependable, young and capable QB. Anything else and we will be saying the same thing next year.

Did you see how our backups played? They were awful, it was a miracle we won the Baltimore game. The offensive output was painful. An injured Ben was our best option to win, and it just didn't happen. Maybe Lefty will be ok, I think his poor play was due to the injury he suffered during the game and he actually has an arm. But Batch is toast and has been for 2 years now.

teegre
01-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Nothing surprising. Guy was injured, but the best option the Steelers had. If he isnt injured, then he doesnt throw it as poorly and miss WR's as bad as he did.

You guys crying that it was all bad decisions....the ball he threw at Wallace that was picked off in OT was thrown badly behind Wallace and into the defenders arms. A good throw and its a completion.

Well said.

I can barely throw if I have a hangnail... let alone a separated rib tendon.

An injury like that can make a pass be "only" one yard off... but, that "one yard" can be all that it takes to go from completion to INT.

Furthermore, being "open" in the NFL is a difference of inches (not even a yard). A WR has to be thrown open... and, again, it's hard to throw a WR open, when one can barely throw.

PATS16N0
01-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Typical Ben.

Honestly, you guys are always claiming Brady is this huge skirt but take a look at Ben. He's constantly making excuses and looking for sympathy. He looks for sympathy about 3 or 4 times a season with his constant harpings on his injuries to the media.

I can think of no other player in the league who mentions his injuries to the media more than Big Ben. Woe is me, all the time.

I just don't think a quarterback with true grit is constantly whining to journalists about how hurt he is.

Steeler fans over estimate and in some cases even completely invent the `toughness` of Big Ben.

lloydwoodson
01-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Typical Ben.

Honestly, you guys are always claiming Brady is this huge skirt but take a look at Ben. He's constantly making excuses and looking for sympathy. He looks for sympathy about 3 or 4 times a season with his constant harpings on his injuries to the media.

I can think of no other player in the league who mentions his injuries to the media more than Big Ben. Woe is me, all the time.

I just don't think a quarterback with true grit is constantly whining to journalists about how hurt he is.

Steeler fans over estimate and in some cases even completely invent the `toughness` of Big Ben.

Tell me about it. Roethlisberger has played a full 16 game season one time in his 9 seasons. Brady has not missed a game in the last 10 outside of his injury season. Manning has not missed a game in his career outside of his injury season.

Somehow Ben is way tougher than those "soft" quarterbacks who could never play behind the Steelers line. Meanwhile the Pats O-Line has 2 undrafted free agents starting.

The Colts "elite" O-Line Manning went to the superbowl with was an UDFA, UDFA, 4th and 5th round players + 1st round LT. Manning's elite line had 1st round pick and 4 players who nobody considered any good. Did not miss a game for 11 seasons but he is soft.

lloydwoodson
01-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Well said.

I can barely throw if I have a hangnail... let alone a separated rib tendon.

An injury like that can make a pass be "only" one yard off... but, that "one yard" can be all that it takes to go from completion to INT.

Furthermore, being "open" in the NFL is a difference of inches (not even a yard). A WR has to be thrown open... and, again, it's hard to throw a WR open, when one can barely throw.

So Ben's terrible Cincy game was because of his ribs?

1st game back - 285 yds 3 tds 1int 88 rating

2nd game back - 339 yds 2td 1int 94 rating

Now his ribs flare up

3rd game back - 220 yds 1 td 2 int (including the pick 6 that lost the game) 58 rating

^The Magic Rib Theory

teegre
01-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Ben's arm/shoulder didn't seem to be bothering him too much when he was waving it around yelling, "Cut!" :noidea: :laughing:

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Christmas-Carols-2012/6b741077-3ef1-49e7-ae43-214901a78428?campaign=pit%3Afanshare%3Afacebook

The real question is:
In the portion where the WRs & RBs are singing (near the end), who is the dude standing still, staring angrily forward, and not singing???

teegre
01-02-2013, 11:55 PM

Now his ribs flare up

3rd game back - 220 yds 1 td 2 int (including the pick 6 that lost the game) 58 rating

^The Magic Rib Theory

Prior to injury: 4 INTs in nine games.

After return: 4 INTs in three games.

Also, in his first game back, looked like crap. Was down by 24 points before he even threw his first TD.

Lastly, it won't matter what I say. You will find a way to ignore anything & everything anyone says. That is why you & Gofor7 are so perfect for each other: the two of you can debate with each other over & over & over & over & over... in every single thread... and say the same things to each other... in every single thread... and totally ignore each other.

You two are a match made in heaven (albeit, on different sides of the debated topics).

So, please, direct your posts to Gofor7... he, like you, enjoys posting the same drivel ad nauseum.

lloydwoodson
01-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Colts 2005 O-Line: UDFA, UDFA, 4th rd pick, 5th rd pick, 1st rd pick

20 sacks allowed on 473 passing plays

Steelers 2005 O-Line: 3rd pick, 2nd pick, 1st pick, 1st pick, 1st pick

35 sacks allowed on 302 passing plays

Even when Ben did have a decent offensive line he still took a ton of sacks.

Once again his team is blamed for his play style and shortcomings.

Roethlisberger is 30th among active quarterbacks in % of plays he gets sacked.

P Manning is 1st, Brees is 2nd, E Manning is 4th, Brady is 8th. Rodgers plays like Ben and is 27th.

Manning must be the hardest qb to sack because of the "elite" UDFA line he played with for most of his career.

Edman
01-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Typical Ben.

It's worse when you consider Ben takes a hard beating because he brings it upon himself. Steelers fans, or rather Ben fanboys are quick to point fingers at the OL, the coordinators, and the monthly moon cycles for why Ben takes a beatdown each and every year.

The Steelers O-Line isn't bad, it's just that Ben's a sandlot dope who holds onto the ball too long and plays like he's drunk when he steps out on the field. You could put the 80's Hogs out there and it doesn't even matter. Ben will still act like he's some kind of Superman and put his body at risk trying to do everything to build his "legend".

When he played smart ball under Haley early in 2012, we noticed how he wasn't taking as much of a beating as he used to. Because he was getting rid of the ball quickly and playing smart, both last year and this year killed the Steelers because Ben wanted to be dumb.

We have some here saying "at least Ben isn't a wimp like Brady", well guess what? Brady doesn't miss a game and Ben had to miss four, jeopardizing the Steelers season yet again. Steelers finish 8-8 and the Pats are back in the postseason. Yeah, that "toughness" of Ben really paid off.

PATS16N0
01-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Everyone wants to be tough. Everyone thinks of themselves as tough.
Actions speak louder than words, though, and actions reveal character or lack of character.

I know of no other player in the NFL that nails himself to a cross for the media more often than Big Ben does and considering the number of Terrel Owens like drama queens in the NFL, that's saying something. Every year it's the same thing, with Ben going to the media to throw a pity party for himself.

There's a lot of tough guys on the Pittsburgh Steelers, and I can't even imagine being tackled by any of them, but that said, just wearing the Black & Yellow alone does not make you tough.

Ben certainly isn't.

There's also the issue with him calling out his own offensive coordinator, once again to the media, like some teenage school girl who doesn't know when to keep things in house. He sounds to me like a man with a fragile ego.

lloydwoodson
01-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Everyone wants to be tough. Everyone thinks of themselves as tough.
Actions speak louder than words, though, and actions reveal character or lack of character.

I know of no other player in the NFL that nails himself to a cross for the media more often than Big Ben does and considering the number of Terrel Owens like drama queens in the NFL, that's saying something. Every year it's the same thing, with Ben going to the media to throw a pity party for himself.

There's a lot of tough guys on the Pittsburgh Steelers, and I can't even imagine being tackled by any of them, but that said, just wearing the Black & Yellow alone does not make you tough.

Ben certainly isn't.

There's also the issue with him calling out his own offensive coordinator, once again to the media, like some teenage school girl who doesn't know when to keep things in house. He sounds to me like a man with a fragile ego.

I would not say ben isn't tough. He is a tough quarterback. No qb takes more hits- it is just that with Ben it is his own doing and he is in his 30s still taking those big hits by holding the ball.

In the end what matters is the qb stays on the field. P Manning has been able to do that by not taking sacks. The least mobile quarterback in the NFL takes the fewest sacks- think about that for a second.

Toughness is not the defining attribute of a quarterback. Leadership and decision making are the defining attributes of quarterbacks.

I like toughness in an OLB and in a RB.

desertsteel
01-03-2013, 03:11 AM
Decisions and ball velocity go hand in hand. Injury doesn't affect the former but it does the latter. You make decisions as an athlete based on what you know you're capable of (e.g., fitting the ball in a tight space). Sometimes when you are injured, in real time your brain doesn't compute that there is a limitation.

EbonySteel86
01-03-2013, 08:13 AM

There would be no need for forums if we all accepted that. Everybody would be ok with whatever happens every year. Where's the fun in that? LOL

Steelers>NFL
01-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Colts 2005 O-Line: UDFA, UDFA, 4th rd pick, 5th rd pick, 1st rd pick

20 sacks allowed on 473 passing plays

Steelers 2005 O-Line: 3rd pick, 2nd pick, 1st pick, 1st pick, 1st pick

35 sacks allowed on 302 passing plays

Even when Ben did have a decent offensive line he still took a ton of sacks.

Once again his team is blamed for his play style and shortcomings.

Roethlisberger is 30th among active quarterbacks in % of plays he gets sacked.

P Manning is 1st, Brees is 2nd, E Manning is 4th, Brady is 8th. Rodgers plays like Ben and is 27th.

Manning must be the hardest qb to sack because of the "elite" UDFA line he played with for most of his career.

GREAT post! Peyton makes his line look great, while Ben makes the Steelers line look bad (and play harder).

lloydwoodson
01-03-2013, 08:29 AM
GREAT post! Peyton makes his line look great, while Ben makes the Steelers line look bad (and play harder).

Yeah, but I think the offense being run under Arians is partly to blame. The Steelers have run a lot of empty backfields and single back sets over the years so protection has been minimal.

Ben was up against a lot of 3rd and longs and 2nd downs with empty backfields where the other team knew they had to rush. That makes it easy for a defense when they don't have to worry about gap responsibility if it is a run or covering a rb on a screen etc. Just pin your ears back and go!

I think if Rainey emerges as a threat as a 3rd down RB it will really help the offense. Mendenhall is good there too if he stays. There will be a lot of passes to RBs next year.

EbonySteel86
01-03-2013, 08:35 AM

BINGO! Been saying this for awhile. This is the reason Haley was brought here. To teach Ben to take what the defence is giving you. Can't keep drafting OL with our top picks every year.

steelfury02
01-03-2013, 09:13 AM
to our New England fella - I'd have to disagree with you on Ben's toughness.

Ben's toughness is what kept the offense alive enough to still make some difference to compete over his career - he won a SB with one of the worst O-lines ever. I don't think you want your man Brady anywhere behind the O-lines Pittsburgh fans have had to endure

Have you had to witness a bloody and bashed Brady limp, gush blood from his face, and still pull a victory out of his ass in the waning moments up against an elite Ravens D in M&T, with the division on the line?

Have you had to witness Brady being the only option to even compete @ San Francisco with one leg?

I consider your man Brady the best in the business. However, toughest QB to ever take the field in modern football? That goes to Ben, hands down IMO.

I will agree with you on Ben talking way too much though. I wish he would be more like Brady in that regard. I do think with Ben, as far as talking about his injuries - I think its a way for him to psyche himself up when he's in pain - just my two cents.

By the way - good luck in the playoffs. I hope you guys don't have to go to Denver for your team's sake.

lloydwoodson
01-03-2013, 09:22 AM
BINGO! Been saying this for awhile. This is the reason Haley was brought here. To teach Ben to take what the defence is giving you. Can't keep drafting OL with our top picks every year.

A brave man can weather a storm; but a wise man knows to get out of the rain.

kan_t
01-03-2013, 09:31 AM
I don't think many people view Ben as good as Brady or Peyton or Rodgers here. But he is a top 5-6 QB in the league. I consider that an elite QB.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Injuries don't cause pick sixes? What happens if you have an open receiver but due to an injury, you just don't have the strength to get the ball to him thus it gets underthrown and picked off? People are reaching for any reason to be pissed off and of course, they're finding reasons to pick on Ben and Tomlin.

As usual-- your posts are some of the most on-target and sane of all the postings and ramblings I read on here.

Both of those two pick-6's don't happen if the ball had a few more MPH behind it. The ball got there too slow, giving the defender time to make a play on it.

Also, would help if Wallace spent more effort to come back for the ball on a curl route than the defender does.

pete74
01-03-2013, 02:18 PM
As usual-- your posts are some of the most on-target and sane of all the postings and ramblings I read on here.

Both of those two pick-6's don't happen if the ball had a few more MPH behind it. The ball got there too slow, giving the defender time to make a play on it.

Also, would help if Wallace spent more effort to come back for the ball on a curl route than the defender does.

Against the Cowboys wallace ran an out and had no chance to stop mid stride then do a 180 and go catch the ball

EbonySteel86
01-03-2013, 02:24 PM

He thru a pic 6 in Denver to ice the game. He was perfectly healthy then. What's up with that? I seen Ben throw a few of those out routes that resulted in pics. Maybe he just can't make that throw successfully, consistently.

steelfury02
01-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Ben's eyes tend to sell-out those routes

Ricco Suavez
01-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Besides the first post I did not wade through all the others so what I am posting does not reflect any response to any ones previous posts. I am sure they range from Ben is making excuses again, to Ben defenders saying it only proves this was not the norm. IMO it means nothing. Ben was injured pretty bad, (at least according to Doctors, almost life threatening) I assume with the Drs approval, and Bens say so that he could be back to normal. Who am I or anyone else to say he wasn't, as an NFL player I am sure nearly everyone has played through injuries at times. Example Troy while back after multiple game injuries did not appear to be 100% but after a couple to three games he was more like his self.

One final thought I do believe that Tomlin has to grow some balls and from time to time pull his players in. Ben should not of played last year against the 49ers (easier call in hindsight for sure though) and perhaps he should not of played as early as he did this year. I know as a former player of many sports I prided myself of playing hurt and "rubbing dirt on it and continue". Any player worth his salt will do the same, Coaches especially in light of the new policies of the NFL regarding concussions and other injuries have to make judgments that will likely not endear them to players or fans, and it may just cost them a game here or there. If that is the case then really "What else is new?"

steel striker
01-03-2013, 02:52 PM
to our New England fella - I'd have to disagree with you on Ben's toughness.

Ben's toughness is what kept the offense alive enough to still make some difference to compete over his career - he won a SB with one of the worst O-lines ever. I don't think you want your man Brady anywhere behind the O-lines Pittsburgh fans have had to endure

Have you had to witness a bloody and bashed Brady limp, gush blood from his face, and still pull a victory out of his ass in the waning moments up against an elite Ravens D in M&T, with the division on the line?

Have you had to witness Brady being the only option to even compete @ San Francisco with one leg?

I consider your man Brady the best in the business. However, toughest QB to ever take the field in modern football? That goes to Ben, hands down IMO.

I will agree with you on Ben talking way too much though. I wish he would be more like Brady in that regard. I do think with Ben, as far as talking about his injuries - I think its a way for him to psyche himself up when he's in pain - just my two cents.

By the way - good luck in the playoffs. I hope you guys don't have to go to Denver for your team's sake.

I agree with you man and, our NE friend is dreaming if he thinks that Brady would have the same success if he played behind the steeler oline. Brady would be in the fetal position or on the sideline throwing a temper rant when things don't go his way. Sure their are times when Ben needs to throw the ball away or just take the check down. Easy for us to say that and, back to our NE friend Ben does not have 6-8 seconds like Brady has most of the time. Give Ben that type of protection and, the sky is the limit.

torpedoshell31
01-03-2013, 02:56 PM
I agree with you man and, our NE friend is dreaming if he thinks that Brady would have the same success if he played behind the steeler oline. Brady would be in the fetal position or on the sideline throwing a temper rant when things don't go his way. Sure their are times when Ben needs to throw the ball away or just take the check down. Easy for us to say that and, back to our NE friend Ben does not have 6-8 seconds like Brady has most of the time. Give Ben that type of protection and, the sky is the limit.

If Brady played behind our OL, he wouldn't be in the fetal position , he would be in a coffin.

steelfury02
01-03-2013, 02:56 PM

Exactly. Give Ben that kind of time though - and he might just start wishing for 14 seconds (sorry - I had to bait the Ben defenders)

Seriously though Ben with good O-line = working on 4th SB - I whole heartedly believe that

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-03-2013, 03:12 PM

Now his ribs flare up

^The Magic Rib Theory

Have you ever separated your shoulder AC joint? Have you ever separated your SC joint?

I am not trying to point to stats to prove a point like you are...because statistically speaking, the average human has one testicle and one breast. Hiding behind stats is bullshit.

I can tell you from experience that its difficult to make an overhand throw with any velocity with a separation and it hurts like hell.

So all the whiners blaming Ben's INT vs Dallas on poor decision making are likely haters that dont understand that he probably makes that throw if he can put strength and accuracy behind the throw.

plenewken
01-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Have you ever separated your shoulder AC joint? Have you ever separated your SC joint?

I am not trying to point to stats to prove a point like you are...because statistically speaking, the average human has one testicle and one breast. Hiding behind stats is bullshit.

I can tell you from experience that its difficult to make an overhand throw with any velocity with a separation and it hurts like hell.

So all the whiners blaming Ben's INT vs Dallas on poor decision making are likely haters that dont understand that he probably makes that throw if he can put strength and accuracy behind the throw.

Nobody's disputing that separated shoulder AC and SC joints hurt.
What I'm disputing is Ben's intelligence to decide to play in a critical game, not being 100% and knowing it.
Cause if it's hurts, he could feel it.
So either he lied to the doctors or he believed that playing injured would be sufficient to beat a team like Dallas on the road, Either way, he needs to have his head examined. After 8 seasons and God knows how many injuries and lost games due to his inability to play (see San Francisco) he should place the best interest of the team before his ego.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Nobody's disputing that separated shoulder AC and SC joints hurt.
What I'm disputing is Ben's intelligence to decide to play in a critical game, not being 100% and knowing it.
Cause if it's hurts, he could feel it.
So either he lied to the doctors or he believed that playing injured would be sufficient to beat a team like Dallas on the road, Either way, he needs to have his head examined. After 8 seasons and God knows how many injuries and lost games due to his inability to play (see San Francisco) he should place the best interest of the team before his ego.

Ben Roethlisberger at 70% is better than Charlie Batch at 110%. Ben knows it, the coaches know it, the Dr.'s know it. That is likely why he played while still hurt.

lloydwoodson
01-03-2013, 11:15 PM

My point is that he played OK in his first 2 games back. The season was still salvageable. He played terribly against Cincy the furthest game away from his injury.

I do not believe he was badly hurt. I believe he was healthy. I do not believe that Haley would design a game that was 44 passes vs 17 runs against the Chargers if Ben was hurt.

If Ben had been hurting during that game then Haley should not have designed a game the following week of 44 passes vs 17 runs for the same result.

EbonySteel86
01-04-2013, 06:03 AM
Ben Roethlisberger at 70% is better than Charlie Batch at 110%. Ben knows it, the coaches know it, the Dr.'s know it. That is likely why he played while still hurt.

I don't know about that. Charlie record when filling in for Ben is pretty good. I think he could of got us at least 2 of those 3 losses.

SteelerJay
01-04-2013, 07:30 AM
another year with the same bullshit excuse...

why the fudge did the head coach and OC let the guy with the bad shoulder (this year), bad ankle (last year) and whatever else so many times, play QB?

I keep telling you guys, between the coach and the qb, they're taking the rest of us down

when Ben was suspended, steelers go 3 - 1, with the one loss a tough late drive by the ravens to win by 3, with the #2 and #3 qb's

this year, Batch goes into Baltimore and wins after having a full week's practice, things looking up...Ben decides he's good to go the next week and loses 4 out of 5 and now says he came back too soon

why continue to throw away the season year after year because meathead and brainiac make boneheaded decisions??

maddog78
01-04-2013, 07:38 AM
This is another reason why the Steelers need a good, young backup QB, so they don't have to rush Ben back if he gets injured.

No shit. Leftwich and Batch have tenure, it seems. I'd bring back neither.

maddog78
01-04-2013, 07:48 AM
I don't know about that. Charlie record when filling in for Ben is pretty good. I think he could of got us at least 2 of those 3 losses.

Before the pick in Dallas, Ben was 24-39 for 339 yards and 2 TD. Batch could not have done that.

The team clearly does not trust him to win games. He had a good quarter in Baltimore against what we now know is an average team.

Time to get serious about the backup QB position. Get a guy like Kyle Orton or Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Moore, draft a developmental guy.

No more favors to family friends, please.

steelerchad
01-04-2013, 07:53 AM
what makes anyone think we would have won any of the games down the stretch if Ben didn't play. He was our best chance to win. Whether he was 100%, 80%, or 60%, he was our best option. Our offense was anemic with the backups during those 3 games. In the Baltimore game we got a couple of big turnovers on D, which we didn't get all season. And then Charlie put together one great drive in the 4th to win it. We don't win in Dallas or against Cincy with Batch or Lefty either.
We took our shot with Ben and it didn't pan out. It was the right move given the circumstances.

Edman
01-04-2013, 08:03 AM
another year with the same bullshit excuse...

why the fudge did the head coach and OC let the guy with the bad shoulder (this year), bad ankle (last year) and whatever else so many times, play QB?

I keep telling you guys, between the coach and the qb, they're taking the rest of us down

when Ben was suspended, steelers go 3 - 1, with the one loss a tough late drive by the ravens to win by 3, with the #2 and #3 qb's

this year, Batch goes into Baltimore and wins after having a full week's practice, things looking up...Ben decides he's good to go the next week and loses 4 out of 5 and now says he came back too soon

why continue to throw away the season year after year because meathead and brainiac make boneheaded decisions??

Ben wasn't even hurt that bad. He's just looking for an excuse for fucking up the season. Like I said, Ben's arm looked quite good misfiring all over the field against Cincinnati and throwing INT's to guys in orange.

Ben derailed the Steelers this season, that's all there is to it.

Edman
01-04-2013, 08:12 AM

Mike Wallace was TRIPLE COVERED. The Dallas coverage cheated to his side. When the ball got there, there were three white jerseys within a yards of Wallace. Ben's bonehead decision making shines through again.

steelfury02
01-04-2013, 08:41 AM

All we needed was 1 extra win - that's it. I'd give Cincy better chances than us to go into Houston - facts are facts - they might not score a lot - but they don't shoot themselves in the foot quite as often - they had the edge on us this season - and some predicted we would be the odd man out this year

This team (and while I've Ben bashed plenty - there is plenty of blame to go around, for segments of the season, as well as individual game - 1st with the defense, then with the RBs, then the WRs, then Ben.) couldn't protect Heinz in a win or stay home game - that is very telling of the whole season. Critical situations - found ways to lose. You can point to Den, Tenn, Oak, CLE, Balt, SD, DAL, Cincy and find 8 different reasons why our fave team is sitting at home

Ben is responsible for 2 of the 8 losses IMO. Cowboys, Cincy. I won't bring up the pick 6 in Denver because I see the defense's poor 2nd half performances in the first 3 losses as a larger reason. I put CLE on the RBs, Injuries on Balt game at home, WRs on SD.

What do you see in my assessment?

3 out of 8 losses, the defense is responsible
4 losses are a direct result as the offense as a whole, 2 of which because of Ben. His supporting cast didn't help him out
1 loss to injury - injuries will cause you to lose when you get decimated - I dont make excuses but it will contribute - just slightly in my opinion

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2013, 10:15 AM

Yeah, Batch had a 38.5 QB rating and 3 INT's in that 20-14 loss to the Browns. That's a close game for such a crappy performance.

I'd take Ben Roethlisberger at 70% in that game and the Steelers likely win that and are in the playoffs.

I'll be so happy when Batch finally retires and the hometown honks can just give it up that there are so many better options as a backup QB out there. :doh:

GoFor7
01-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Mike Wallace was TRIPLE COVERED. The Dallas coverage cheated to his side. When the ball got there, there were three white jerseys within a yards of Wallace. Ben's bonehead decision making shines through again.

Okay, keep making stuff up to justify your Ben bashing...

plenewken
01-04-2013, 11:46 AM

No, it wasn't triple covered. Here is the vid. Click on the top video on the right side.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012121611/2012/REG15/steelers@cowboys#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Doesn't make Ben's pass more accurate though.

ZoneBlitzer
01-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Well he deserves credit for going out there and trying through an injury unlike that Christian Ponder who completely wussed out yesterday for a frickin playoff game. That was pathetic.

StainlessStill
01-06-2013, 11:31 AM

I was at Dallas. Wallace was NOT triple covered. They had coverage rolled, but they actually gave up that sideline throw. In my honest opinion, if you're going to throw an out to the sidelines, you better be 110% confident it's going to get there. If not, it's going to be jumped and picked. Same with a fade ball. Going in, you know you're going to throw it but once the ball leaves your hands, you have a very low percentage of completing it if 1 thing fails.

Ben was throwing that ball. He wasn't going anywhere else. It's a first read, chuck, throw and put it there. Ben dropped back, tried to time it, put his heel on the turf, let it go and unfortunately, it was a tad behind Wallace and that's all she wrote. It was a bad timed throw. The throw was there, it could have been completed but that little bit of an inside miscue did us in. It happens. Shaub did the SAME EXACT thing on Cincy's pick 6 yesterday.

lloydwoodson
01-08-2013, 12:43 AM
[QUOTE=StainlessStill;1074442Ben was throwing that ball. He wasn't going anywhere else. It's a first read, chuck, throw and put it there. Ben dropped back, tried to time it, put his heel on the turf, let it go and unfortunately, it was a tad behind Wallace and that's all she wrote. It was a bad timed throw. The throw was there, it could have been completed but that little bit of an inside miscue did us in. It happens. Shaub did the SAME EXACT thing on Cincy's pick 6 yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Schaub has been playing poorly at the end of the season. He has thrown 1 TD and 4 INTs in his last 5 games- and he has Daniels and Johnson to throw to. Schaub stepped up and took full respnsibility for his team's struggles at the end of the season.

lloydwoodson
01-08-2013, 12:55 AM
Well he deserves credit for going out there and trying through an injury unlike that Christian Ponder who completely wussed out yesterday for a frickin playoff game. That was pathetic.

Ponder's whole thowing arm was the same colour as his uniform- yellow and purple. You should check out some pics. It is quite possible that he just could not physically move his arm like he needed to.

Based on RGIII's efforts I'm sure he probably would have thrown the ball with his left hand. RGIII has been extremely impressive in the leadership and sacrifice he has shown all season. He didn't want to sit out in the regular season either.

The best thing about RGIII's performance on Sunday was his interview. A guaranteed controversy was brewing in Washington- should Shanahan have played an injured RGIII? RGIII handled the questions thrown at him better than I have ever seen. NFL Network reported exactlywhat RGIII wanted them to: every analyst repeated verbatim "RGIII should have been in the game because he is the best option at quarterback for that team." My God he made life easy for his coaches!

He maintained the team's positive direction while completely shielding his coaches from criticism, and Washington's coaches should have been criticized. Honestly, who calls designed running plays for a franchise quarterback with partial ACL and MCL tears???? RGIII should have let his coaches have it both barrels but he kept the entire team in mind and made the absolute best of the season giving the Skins something to build on. Amazing that in this day in age a quarterback risks tens of millions of dollars just to win a wild card game.

Steeler7BR
01-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Ponder's whole thowing arm was the same colour as his uniform- yellow and purple. You should check out some pics. It is quite possible that he just could not physically move his arm like he needed to.

Based on RGIII's efforts I'm sure he probably would have thrown the ball with his left hand. RGIII has been extremely impressive in the leadership and sacrifice he has shown all season. He didn't want to sit out in the regular season either.

The best thing about RGIII's performance on Sunday was his interview. A guaranteed controversy was brewing in Washington- should Shanahan have played an injured RGIII? RGIII handled the questions thrown at him better than I have ever seen. NFL Network reported exactlywhat RGIII wanted them to: every analyst repeated verbatim "RGIII should have been in the game because he is the best option at quarterback for that team." My God he made life easy for his coaches!

He maintained the team's positive direction while completely shielding his coaches from criticism, and Washington's coaches should have been criticized. Honestly, who calls designed running plays for a franchise quarterback with partial ACL and MCL tears???? RGIII should have let his coaches have it both barrels but he kept the entire team in mind and made the absolute best of the season giving the Skins something to build on. Amazing that in this day in age a quarterback risks tens of millions of dollars just to win a wild card game.

Of course very uncommon that a Player holds the back of his coach never saw that before in my life...
I think they should crown RG3 down there for doing that :grin:

kan_t
01-08-2013, 02:02 AM

Because he's RG3. The media just love him. Ben basically said that the same thing after the season was finished and insisted that he's perfectly fine when he decided to come back so it's not injury issue for his poor play. The media didn't buy it. When he only said he might not be healthy enough to play the Pro-Bowl, then the media questioned about him making excuses for his poor performance in the last few games and put the words in his mouth that he admitted being rushed back.

Brady shouts at his OC and people said that it's no big deal. It just means that he still has the fire. Imgaine if Ben does that, he will get crushed.

Again, I'm not saying that Ben can do no wrong. But I want to see some actual on field evidences that he did change back to his old playing style. I think Haley's offensive scheme can work. And it did show that it worked in the first half. I just think that the inefficiency of the offense in the second half was mainly due to the lacking of running game and Haley didn't adjust for that.

lloydwoodson
01-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Not all members of the media love RGIII - Rob Parker doesn't. :chuckle:

Players dictate the press they get in the media through their words and actions. Every person is accountable for their own behaviour. There is no conspiracy in the media to praise one person but condemn the next.

Ben and RGIII both know how to use the media. RGIII uses the media to elevate his standing with his teammates and put his organization in a good light. Ben right now is using the media to publish a letter of recommendation for Bruce Arians. Don't pretend that Ben isn't smart enough to know how the media portrays what he says and does.

I have a feeling the Ben will play in the Probowl... call it a hunch. Tell you what if Ben doesn't play in the Probowl I'll shave my eyebrows. OK?

Gnutella
01-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Yah, Dante Culpepper threw for 39 TD's and only 11 Ints in 2004. What did that get him?

A playoff win over the Packers.

Gnutella
01-10-2013, 08:21 AM
I think his brain was hurt.

You're better than most fans here because you at least realize that he has a brain.

I am disgusted by all these comments by 'true fans"

On another Steelers message board, somebody posted a topic asking what changes people would make if they were in charge of the team. Here was my response:

I'd cut half the fan base this off-season.

Anybody who thinks that the NFL conspires on the Patriots' or Ravens' behalf. Anybody who wants to throw Todd Haley under the bus after one season. Anybody who calls Ben Roethlisberger dumb, or even implies that he is. Anybody who thinks they could do a better job coaching than Mike Tomlin. Anybody who feels entitled to their season tickets but arrives late, leaves early, and doesn't even bother showing up when the weather is bad. Anybody who hates black people unless they can score TDs. Anybody who goes to a road game and gets loud when the offense is on the field because the home crowd does. Anybody who cheers for the team but hates the city.

If any of the above describe you, then you're useless. Go die in a fire.

I meant every word of it too.

Gnutella
01-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Ben wasn't even hurt that bad.

Oh, so now he wasn't even hurt that bad (http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-8015264), huh?

How long does it take for a rib dislocation to heal?

That is a hard question to answer because there are so many different levels person-to-person. Generally it takes about six weeks. Keep in mind that is just healing, that doesn't get the athlete ready to return to their sport.

Strengthening and conditioning are what is needed not only for recovery but for prevention.

There are potential complications that should be watched for. They are primarily shock and infection at the outset and as the patient goes along they must be watched for impaired blood flow.

The good news about a rib dislocation is that rarely is surgery required.

A rib dislocation is serious. A dislocated rib can also affect other parts of the body and there may always be more than one.

The best preparation is to understand what a rib dislocation is and get a victim immediate help.

In other words, fuck you.

Edman
01-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Oh, so now he wasn't even hurt that bad (http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-8015264), huh?

How long does it take for a rib dislocation to heal?

That is a hard question to answer because there are so many different levels person-to-person. Generally it takes about six weeks. Keep in mind that is just healing, that doesn't get the athlete ready to return to their sport.

Strengthening and conditioning are what is needed not only for recovery but for prevention.

There are potential complications that should be watched for. They are primarily shock and infection at the outset and as the patient goes along they must be watched for impaired blood flow.

The good news about a rib dislocation is that rarely is surgery required.

A rib dislocation is serious. A dislocated rib can also affect other parts of the body and there may always be more than one.

The best preparation is to understand what a rib dislocation is and get a victim immediate help.

In other words, fuck you.

You can stick it up your craw.

If Ben was supposedly hurt so bad and it was limiting him, he should have realized his limitations or not bother playing at all. He volunteered to step out on the field. He practiced, got the all clear, and played. I didn't put him out there. He and the coaches came to an agreement that he should play. You don't like people saying Ben is dumb? Sorry for pointing out the truth based around real evidence. What has Ben done in his years in Pittsburgh to prove otherwise?

Like I said, looking for the nearest excuse for your hero screwing up and refusing to hold him to a degree of responsibility. Scapegoat everyone else but Ben. Tomlin, Lebeau, everyone gets raked over the coals except him. What Ben fanboys refuse to address however, despite clear evidence being brought up is WHY Ben got injured to begin with. I'll give you a hint. It wasn't a just freak occurence or accident.

Ben screwed up and screwed the team over in 2012. No if's, and's, or but's about it. I put 2012 on the backburner and we'll see what happens beyond.

Gnutella
01-10-2013, 11:05 AM
What Ben fanboys refuse to address however, despite clear evidence being brought up is WHY Ben got injured to begin with. I'll give you a hint. It wasn't a just freak occurence or accident.

He was injured on a sack for a loss of only three yards because he stepped up in the pocket to avoid edge pressure and still found nobody open downfield, and then had to eat the ball when the pocket collapsed because throwing the ball away from the pocket would have lost the offense 10 yards for intentional grounding.

Throwing the ball away would have been the dumb thing to do since it'd lose the offense seven more yards.

harrison'samonster
01-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Throwing the ball away would have been the dumb thing to do since it'd lose the offense seven more yards.

not necessarily, eating it and getting hurt might be what cost us the season. If he had given up seven yards and taken the flag, maybe we're in the playoffs.

Then again, maybe if he threw it away they still would have hit him and we'd be in the same position. Lot's of if's and woulda's, I know...

maddog78
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Then again, maybe if he threw it away they still would have hit him and we'd be in the same position. Lot's of if's and woulda's, I know...

Exactly - if he threw it his arm may have been extended as he hit the ground, causing a more awkward landing and more severe injury. We will never know.

One thing we do know is that Ben will be hurt to some degree every year. Have to solidify the backup QB positions this offseason.

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Exactly - if he threw it his arm may have been extended as he hit the ground, causing a more awkward landing and more severe injury. We will never know.

One thing we do know is that Ben will be hurt to some degree every year. Have to solidify the backup QB positions this offseason.

Ben's our guy till he hangs it up, but totally agree with you - we need to find our young buck at backup that has the potential to keep the ship steady in the meantime.

That said - I wouldn't mind seeing Charlie at #2, with the young blood given a chance to move up to his spot at the end of the year.

maddog78
01-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Ben's our guy till he hangs it up, but totally agree with you - we need to find our young buck at backup that has the potential to keep the ship steady in the meantime.

That said - I wouldn't mind seeing Charlie at #2, with the young blood given a chance to move up to his spot at the end of the year.

I'm afraid Chaz shot his wad in Baltimore. I think he's probably going to retire. Not sure I trust him for a 3-4 game stretch, either.

harrison'samonster
01-10-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm afraid Chaz shot his wad in Baltimore. I think he's probably going to retire. Not sure I trust him for a 3-4 game stretch, either.

hard to say what direction they'll go in, but I would count on either Batch or Lefty still being on the team next year.

Hawaii 5-0
01-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Was It Injury Or Lack Of Adjustments That Caused Poor Play By Roethlisberger Down The Stretch?

Friday, January 11th, 2013 by Dave Bryan

It is safe to say that the Pittsburgh Steelers offense wasn't the same when quarterback Ben Roethlisberger returned to the lineup after sitting out three games due to injuries that he suffered in the week 10 win over the Kansas City Chiefs.

Team president Art Rooney II was looking for words during his Wednesday Q & A session with several members of the Pittsburgh media to describe what happened when Roethlisberger came back from his injury.

"The injury obviously changed things and we really never regained our rhythm or balance or whatever the right word is after the injury and when Ben came back," Rooney said. "Itís a little hard to evaluate the whole season on that. When any team loses their starting quarterback, it has a dramatic effect. You have to evaluate in terms of when our quarterback was healthy. I think we were getting pretty good results and they were the results we hoped for."

Was an injured Roethlisberger really part of the problem down the stretch, or was there something else that led to him having a 56.4% completion percentage in the final four games of the season?

"Iíll never make excuses," Roethlisberger said, when asked prior to the final regular season game against the Cleveland Browns if he was still dealing with injury-issues down the stretch. "We can talk about that in the offseason maybe. I feel good enough to play."

"Itís unfortunate," the Steelers quarterback later continued. "Injuries are never fun. But you know me, I wonít make excuses. Iíve got to be able to step-up and perform afterwards just as well as I did before."

Now I am sure that Roethlisberger wasn't 100% upon returning from his injury, but the 40 yard touchdown throw to Mike Wallace in the loss to the San Diego Chargers, his first game back mind you, was an absolute dart, and perhaps his single best throw all season.

That deep pass showed that Roethlisberger still could throw the deep ball, and as a matter of fact, he completed 4 of 15 throws of 20 yards or more past the line of scrimmage down the stretch for a 27% completion percentage. Prior to him getting injured he was 7 of 30 (23%) on throws of 20 yards or more past the line.

Not only was Roethlisberger more accurate with those long throws when he returned from his injury, he was also more accurate on his throws of 15 to 19 yards past the line of scrimmage, according to our play-by-play charting. Prior to his injury he was 18 of 38 (47%) on all throws of that distance and 11 of 17 (65%) upon his return.

So if Roethlisberger was better with the mid range to deep throws upon his return, then he must have suffered with his shorter throws, right? Right.

Prior to him getting injured he was 26 of 35 (74%) on his throws 10 to 14 yards past the line versus 14 of 24 (58%) upon his return. On his throws less than 10 yards he was 157 of 207 (76%) prior to his injury and 46 of 76 (61%) upon his return.

So why was there a drop-off in Roethlisberger's completion percentage on the shorter throws upon his return from injury? I think that he probable put it best following the loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

"Theyíre definitely keeping an eye on a lot of our short passes, the quick game, as we call it, because weíve done a lot of it," said Roethlisberger, when asked if defenses were starting to be more effective at disrupting the timing on short passes. "Thatís how we started the year and weíve been pretty successful at doing that stuff. They have sat on a lot of short routes, which means we need to take advantage of that, double-move and push the depth a little more."

Left tackle Max Starks also hinted down the stretch in one of his interviews that defenses were playing more zone in addition. The tape shows this in those final four games, as well as more press coverage at times in addition. Thrown in on top of that is the fact that defenses did a good job at stopping the Steelers running game with only 7 men in the box a lot of the time. This allowed for more two deep safety looks that provided better bracket coverage.

The Steelers route combinations never compensated enough with vertical routes to counteract this and it didn't help that the receivers weren't gaining the separation that they did earlier in the season.

Defenses, on third down in particularly, did a much better job at protecting the chains on third downs as well. Remember the crucial third down play late in the game against the Cincinnati Bengals? On that play it is if the Bengals knew exactly what was coming their way.

Is all of this an indictment of offensive coordinator Todd Haley and his inability to adjust once defenses did a better job taking away the shorter passing game? Call it what you will, but I don't think that you can pin this on Roethlisberger being less than 100% when he returned from his injury. The amount of throws down the field increased some down the stretch, but not enough and the numbers are skewed a bit thanks to the loss to the Chargers, as they had no choice but to throw deep.

The Steelers offensive line was a mess down the stretch, so yes, that needs to be taken into consideration in all of this. Roethlisberger also made a few bad decisions as well in the three games that mattered and the running game was pretty much non existent.

Should Haley wind up not getting the head-coaching position with the Arizona Cardinals he will be back in Pittsburgh for chance to fix things. A priority will be to not only get the running game on track, but to also add more vertical elements to his offense to counteract the teams that insist on defending the Steelers the way that they did down the stretch this season. They likely won't have Wallace, who is all set to test free agency, to stretch the field in 2013, so you can expect the team will have to address his position at some point during the draft.

In the aforementioned quote that Rooney gave he said that the offense "never regained rhythm or balance or whatever the right word is." The word that Rooney was looking for is, "adjusted", as that is what the offense did very little of once Roethlisberger returned from his injury.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/was-it-injury-or-lack-of-adjustments-that-caused-poor-play-by-roethlisberger-down-the-stretch/