PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Ben and Carson Palmer

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Ben's comments....

"That was my goal -- to get out there and show everybody I was ready to get out and play," Roethlisberger said.

Palmer's comments Sunday night at the Bungles game...

?It just takes me a while to get my confidence back in my knee it?s strong it?s healthy I?ve been cleared but until I have that confidence that it's going to be able to withstand some hits and be able to hold up when I?m out there running around I need to be able to get to that point. People falling in front of me guys trying to tackling me low so until I get in that situation I take a couple hits low to the legs then I?ll have that confidence that I can do it. ?

Carson Palmer :sweating: and VERY :nervous:

Ben :cool: and collected.

BB2W
08-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Well done... :cool:

83-Steelers-43
08-15-2006, 03:35 PM
I have to disagree for two reasons.

Physically: The knee injury Palmer sustained was absolutey horrible. This wasn't a tweaked hammie. This kid's whole knee was blown out. That takes time and I don't care who you are, yes even Ben. Ben's injuries were to his face. For the most part, those can be protected. Your leg (unlike your face) is out in the open for everybody to hit while having minimal protection.

More importantly.......

Mentally: Ben's accident was exactly that, an accident. It did not occur while playing the game. There is a huge difference between the two in my opinion. Palmer's mind is currently playing tricks on him. Being able to feel comfortable in the pocket is key and at this point in time, he is not comfortable. You could tell in his face during the interview he gave on Sunday night that his confidence is nonexistent. If I were the Bungal organization I would give this kid all the time he needs to heal physically and mentally.

I don't feel the differences lie in their personalities, but in their current situations.

Just my two cents.

PisnNapalm
08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
I'll second you on that 83. I hate to see any athlete injured like Palmer. well... almost any athlete. Can't say I'd mind seeing T.O. get whalloped.

anyway... Palmer is a huge talent and unfortunately his psyche is fragile until he does regain confidence that his knee will hold up to the rigors of game play.

Give him an entire season to work on it. If he can stay healthy, then the confidence will come back.

Besides.... I hate beating the Bengals when thye've got such an easy excuse to fall back on. :oP

BB2W
08-15-2006, 03:53 PM
I think the truth behind the comparison is that Ben has a more gutsy and fearless attitude where Carson is more timid and cautious.

floodcitygirl
08-15-2006, 03:54 PM

Physically: The knee injury Palmer sustained was absolutey horrible. This wasn't a tweaked hammie. This kid's whole knee was blown out. That takes time and I don't care who you are, yes even Ben. Ben's injuries were to his face. For the most part, those can be protected. Your leg (unlike your face) is out in the open for everybody to hit while having minimal protection.

More importantly.......

Mentally: Ben's accident was exactly that, an accident. It did not occur while playing the game. There is a huge difference between the two in my opinion. Palmer's mind is currently playing tricks on him. Being able to feel comfortable in the pocket is key and at this point in time he is not comfortable. You could tell in his face during the interview he gave on Sunday night that his confidence is nonexistent. If I were the Bungal organization I would give this kid all the time he needs to heal physically and mentally.

Just my two cents.I agree with you about the injuries, 83-Steelers-43. I hope he does get the time that he needs to heal, for sure. I don't usually like to lump people with generalities....but does everyone associated with the Bengals HAVE to sound so whiny????:hunch:

CantStop85
08-15-2006, 03:58 PM
No doubt Ben's more of a risk taker...but I'm somewhat glad to see Carson easing into things and being more cautious. There's no good in rushing back and putting at risk his entire career. Carson's injury requires more recovery time. Ben just had to "getted patched up" and go through a few weeks of rehab. Also, Carson's injury actually occurred on the field...the hesitancy Carson is showing to get back on the field is the same that Ben would have getting back on a motorcycle. It takes a while to regain that confidence.

Hawk Believer
08-15-2006, 04:06 PM
I have to disagree.

Physically: The knee injury Palmer sustained was absolutey horrible. This wasn't a tweaked hammie. This kid's whole knee was blown out. That takes time and I don't care who you are. Ben's injuries were to his face. For the most part, those can be protected. Your leg is out in the open for everybody to hit with minimal padding.

More importantly.......

Mentally: Ben's accident was exactly that, an accident. It did not occur while playing the game. Palmer's mind is currently playing tricks on him. Being able to feel comfortable in the pocket is key and at this point in time he is not comfortable. You could tell in his face during the interview on Sunday night that his confidence is not there at this point in time.

Just my two cents.

I totally agree. Their comments have a different tone because their injuries are totally different. Ben, thank goodness, primarily had injuries to bone and skin. And the bone isn't in a weight bearing limb.

Palmer had a massive injury to avascular tissue. Because they lack a blood supply they healing process is much longer. And a decade or so earlier that injury would likely have ended his career. Chances are that his knee will never be 100% and will always be less stable.

I would imagine that before face masks, NFL players regularly sustained facial fractures. But it seems pretty rare that anyone sustains orthopedic facial trauma in the course of a game. Ben can be assured that his face is protected. Carson can wear a brace, but his knee will always be exposed.

And I think 83-Steelers-43 makes an extremely cogent point about the difference of having a serious off field injury (that was exacerbated by a controllable choice to not wear a helmet) versus being injured during the course of a game as a result of something that neither he or Kimo could prevent even though neither wanted it to happen.

Ben has healed. Carson is still in the middle of recovery and could be back at square one or worse if he pushes himself too quickly. So I see the difference in their comments as a normal consequence of those facts.

tony hipchest
08-15-2006, 04:25 PM
theres something interresting with the 2 accidental hits and these 2 quarterbacks. while bens accident and injuries were pretty insignificant to him being able to play this year, his life was on the line and a few more feet or inches his life couldve ended.

in the case of carsons injury he was never close to death or in critical condition yet his career has been so much more affected to this point.

not to say ones better than the other just pointing out that a potential life threatenning injury can be healed so quickly but but a ripped up knee can take so long.

Hawk Believer
08-15-2006, 04:36 PM
theres something interresting with the 2 accidental hits and these 2 quarterbacks. while bens accident and injuries were pretty insignificant to him being able to play this year, his life was on the line and a few more feet or inches his life couldve ended.

in the case of carsons injury he was never close to death or in critical condition yet his career has been so much more affected to this point.

not to say ones better than the other just pointing out that a potential life threatenning injury can be healed so quickly but but a ripped up knee can take so long.
There is some irony in that. I suppose its important to point out that without our modern EMS system and its adavances in field managment of blood loss and shock, Ben would probably had his career as a viable human being ended if his accident occured a few decades back.

However, while I am cogitating on the subject....One other difference I see is that, if Ben was being haunted by his accident, focusing on football would only serve to distract him from the event. Carson's arduous recovery process focuses on ultimately putting him right back in the position that he was injured in.

ironcurtain77
08-15-2006, 04:51 PM
I thought this was a joke:

What's the difference between Ben and Carson Palmer?

A Super Bowl ring.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-15-2006, 05:04 PM

More importantly.......

Mentally: Ben's accident was exactly that, an accident. It did not occur while playing the game. There is a huge difference between the two in my opinion. Palmer's mind is currently playing tricks on him. Being able to feel comfortable in the pocket is key and at this point in time, he is not comfortable. You could tell in his face during the interview he gave on Sunday night that his confidence is nonexistent. If I were the Bungal organization I would give this kid all the time he needs to heal physically and mentally.

I don't feel the differences lie in their personalities, but in their current situations.

Just my two cents.

Completely agree. Not wanting to rush back from an "unheard of" recovery is not a weakness. The entire Bengal Organization rides on this kid's shoulders. Not taking a slower and cautious approach is potentially suicidal in my eyes. As much as I hate the Bengals a major set-back could ruin his career - not unlike Troy he is one of the good ones in the NFL.

My advice to Marvin Lewis. Play Anthony Wright for the first half of the season. :toofunny:

Hawk Believer
08-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Completely agree. Not wanting to rush back from an "unheard of" recovery is not a weakness. The entire Bengal Organization rides on this kid's shoulders. Not taking a slower and cautious approach is potentially suicidal in my eyes. As much as I hate the Bengals a major set-back could ruin his career - not unlike Troy he is one of the good ones in the NFL.

My advice to Marvin Lewis. Play Anthony Wright for the first half of the season. :toofunny:

The Begals have a bye week 5. I bet they hold him back until then to utilize the extra week of healing before they throw him in the mix. Course the urgency of playing him could be delayed if Wright can pull a Roethlisberger.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-15-2006, 06:19 PM
I totally agree with 83. Well said bro. You the man. If I were the Bengals also I would give all the time that Carson needed to get his head right. Why risk the franchise? Marvin Lewis suggesting that Carson needs get out there is crazy.

HburgXL06
08-15-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm just gonna say I agree wit 83-Steelers-43 since he said it best.

BuFu

siss
08-15-2006, 06:31 PM
The Begals have a bye week 5. I bet they hold him back until then to utilize the extra week of healing before they throw him in the mix. Course the urgency of playing him could be delayed if Wright can pull a Roethlisberger.

Well dont forget that this is the Bungles we are talking about. So the likely hood of that happening are about the same as the stains winning the division!

CantStop85
08-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Well dont forget that this is the Bungles we are talking about. So the likely hood of that happening are about the same as the stains winning the division!
Carson wants to play in the third and fourth preseason games...if this happens, and he feels comfortable, he will be starting in the opener. If he doesn't play in any preseason games, he won't be playing until after the bye week.

Ultimately, Palmer's return is up to him...Marvin and Co. can advise him when to play, but the final decision is his. Marvin wanted him to play in the 2nd preseason game, but Palmer wants to give himself another week to prepare. Carson seems to be a level-headed guy, I would think he would only return when he feels 100% ready.

Stlrs4Life
08-15-2006, 07:53 PM

More importantly.......

Just my two cents.

Must admit, that is some strong evidence. Must agree.

19ward86
08-15-2006, 10:20 PM
i dont think personality has anything to do with it, bens accident was worse than palmers but palmers injury was worse than bens. you are acting like confidents doesnt matter when your playing qb. i think john madden said something like if u are a qb u have to trust your o-line for protection and not worry about the blitzes, and palmer said he cant do that, when he feels someone near him he wants to look at his leg and you cant do that. you need to be looking downfield. ben.... well, im pretty sure he is used to his knee injury that he has had for the last two seasons and he doesnt have to look downfield for a pass as much as palmer so he's not going to get sacked as much.(ben only throws max of 300 times.)

LambertLunatic
08-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Course the urgency of playing him could be delayed if Wright can pull a Roethlisberger.

Wright is much more likely to pull a Maddox IMO.

83-Steelers-43
08-16-2006, 07:30 AM
Wright is much more likely to pull a Maddox IMO.

I agree. Wright has the Tyler Palko syndrome; He looks decent for a short period of time and then he will turn around throw a boneheaded INT.