PDA

View Full Version : Bush fined by NFL for unauthorized equipment

AZ_Steeler
08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
I feel Bush is getting a little ****y in his early career. I can't wait for Porter and Troy, or anyone really, to drop him on his back and bring him back down to earth. The comment which strikes me the most and got under my skin was regarding his $10,000:

"Adidas took care of it"

This dude is in for a rude awakening and I can't wait to see it happen!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmAzilSFfi5erAVpgKrmiT1DubYF?slug=ap-saints-bushfined&prov=ap&type=lgns)

August 14, 2006

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) -- New Orleans rookie running back Reggie Bush drew more than just rave reviews for his fancy footwork Saturday in the Saints' preseason victory over the Tennessee Titans.

He also drew a fine.

The NFL objected to the No. 2 overall pick in the 2006 NFL draft wearing his new Adidas cleats. The league only allows players to wear Nike or Reebok shoes during games because of a marketing partnership.

Both Bush and the top pick in the draft, defensive end Mario Williams of North Carolina State, have signed endorsement deals with Adidas. The shoes in question are black with gold highlights and logo.

The fine was thought to be $10,000, but Bush, the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner, originally said he was unsure of the total. He confirmed the fine after Monday's afternoon practice.

"Adidas took care of it," Bush said of the fine.

Bush rushed for 59 yards on six carries and caught two passes for 10 yards in his pro debut. The former Southern Cal back played about a quarter.

Livinginthe past
08-15-2006, 04:00 PM
I dont know.

If the worst the league is going to do is fine him , then I say good luck to him.

I'm not going to look down on a guy for making a football decision based upon the mighty dollar - because thats exactly what the NFL does when it decides which brands are good and which aren't.

Who knows...maybe Bush feels more comfortable in the Adidas brand.

NM

This reply was brought to you by Red Stripe.

Its Beer.

HOORAY BEER!

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/n_mckeown/story_pic2.gif

AZ_Steeler
08-15-2006, 04:26 PM
I agree completely with what you are saying. I think this story is the straw that broke the camels back for me. My biggest problem I have with Bush right now is I feel like he thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. He has come into the league wanting more money than the #1 pick, he challenged the NFL regarding the whole jersey number, and then there were two little incidents before draft with his parents living in a house paid for by an agency??? BTW, what ever came of that situation??? And the other thing was his comment in regards to what he was looking forward most to being drafted... "I know Texas doesn't have [personal] state [income] tax." he was basically already assuming he was the #1 pick.

This dude is acting like he has rode into the NFL all high and mighty on a big white horse and I just want to see him get smacked... HARD TOO!!! Whatever happened to proving yourself before your head out grew your helmet? :wink:

tony hipchest
08-15-2006, 04:29 PM
"BOOOO creepy opposing fan poster" :chuckle:

HOORAY BEER!

Livinginthe past
08-15-2006, 04:43 PM
I agree completely with what you are saying. I think this story is the straw that broke the camels back for me. My biggest problem I have with Bush right now is I feel like he thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. He has come into the league wanting more money than the #1 pick, he challenged the NFL regarding the whole jersey number, and then there were two little incidents before draft with his parents living in a house paid for by an agency??? BTW, what ever came of that situation??? And the other thing was his comment in regards to what he was looking forward most to being drafted... he was basically already assuming he was the #1 pick.

This dude is acting like he has rode into the NFL all high and mighty on a big white horse and I just want to see him get smacked... HARD TOO!!! Whatever happened to proving yourself before your head out grew your helmet? :wink:

I understand what you are saying.

Unfortunately these sportmen live in an alternate reality where they get to earn millions for playing a sport they enjoy.

I think a healthy ego is important for pro-atheltes - but unfortunately they get fed all kinds of BS by their agents, and when this is backed up the media and franchise owners then you can't blame them for thinking they really are worth it.

Guys like Bush are the monster we create ourselves.

NM

Ambridge
08-15-2006, 06:02 PM
"BOOOO creepy opposing fan poster" :chuckle:

HOORAY BEER!

:rofl:

You hit that one out of the park tony.

Those Red Stripe commercials crack me up.

tony hipchest
08-15-2006, 06:05 PM
:rofl:

You hit that one out of the park tony.

Those Red Stripe commercials crack me up. me too. this years version of the guiness monty pythonesque "brilliant!" guys.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-16-2006, 02:05 AM
This dude is in for a rude awakening and I can't wait to see it happen!

I'm sure he's still throwing a temper tantrum that he didn't get to wear his precious #5 jersey, because he's Reggie Bush and the NFL should change the rules just for him....What a joke this guy is. He must have read the book "How to be a complete ass hole without even trying" by Terrell Owens. These guys are way to ****y for their own good.

BlackNGold203
08-16-2006, 06:25 AM
I believe all of us here at Steelers Fever have one common bond....one common thread that binds us together...a bond that goes beyond sex, race, creed, religion, and NFL team affiliations...

And that thread is????

HOORAY BEER!

:cool: :cool:

BlackNGold203
08-16-2006, 06:26 AM
Oh....and I think Reggie Bush is a potential tool.......:cool: :cool:

RoethlisBURGHer
08-16-2006, 03:50 PM
I can see why Reggie wore the shoes,he has a contract with Adidas.

Okay,so the NFL says who makes your pads,jerseys,pants,socks,hats,and practice/workout gear.

But I think the players should be allowed to choose thier own shoes.

But hey,the NFL says you can only wear Nike or Reebok football cleates,then choose cleats from one of those brands.

Look at Ben,he has a contract with Nike but must wear Reebok equipment when on the field or at an NFL Stadium or the Steelers training complex.So what does he do to promote Nike?He wears only Nike gear in interviews that aren't at NFL stadiums or te Steelers training complex.

Livinginthe past
08-16-2006, 04:09 PM
I can see why Reggie wore the shoes,he has a contract with Adidas.

Okay,so the NFL says who makes your pads,jerseys,pants,socks,hats,and practice/workout gear.

But I think the players should be allowed to choose thier own shoes.

But hey,the NFL says you can only wear Nike or Reebok football cleates,then choose cleats from one of those brands.

Look at Ben,he has a contract with Nike but must wear Reebok equipment when on the field or at an NFL Stadium or the Steelers training complex.So what does he do to promote Nike?He wears only Nike gear in interviews that aren't at NFL stadiums or te Steelers training complex.

A clever marketing plan by Adidas if you ask me, their brand is getting alot of cheap publicity from this stunt - and all they had to do is pay a relatively small fine.

You couldnt devise a poster campaign that would get this much exposure - not unless you had the slogan ' Hooray BEER!' somewhere in it anyways.

NM

AZ_Steeler
08-17-2006, 12:18 PM
I got to thinking... and doesn't Reebok own Adidas? If so, what's wrong with Bush wearing his Adidas assuiming and considering Reebok does own them too???

Livinginthe past
08-17-2006, 01:47 PM
I got to thinking... and doesn't Reebok own Adidas? If so, what's wrong with Bush wearing his Adidas assuiming and considering Reebok does own them too???

Its actually the other way round - Adidas (a German company) has bought Reebok.

Which lends more weight to my theory that its just free publicity and a marketing campaign using the media for its own purposes.

God knows i've typed adidas more times in the last couple of days than I have in the rest of my life! :rolleyes:

Nice catch in the first place though AZ.

NM