PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers would have been playing today

maddog78
01-05-2013, 09:32 AM
In Houston in a few hours, had they snuck in as the 6th seed. How would everyone like their chances with no Heath, Keisel, Ike, a banged up Lewis, Wallace, Beachum, and DeCastro?

JJ Watt vs. John Malecki?

Larry Foote vs. Arian Foster?

Andre Johnson on Tez Allen?

It always sucks missing the playoffs, but I believe our season would have ended today anyway, in a not so pleasant manner.

desertsteel
01-05-2013, 09:38 AM
I would be happy playing the Texans. They SUCK.

maddog78
01-05-2013, 09:40 AM

No playoff teams "suck", but I'd rather play them than NE or Denver because their offense is in a big slump.

I just don't see the beat up Steelers getting much on offense against them and the thin secondary would have been a huge concern.

plenewken
01-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Shoulda, woulda, coulda is for losers. We're out of the playoffs, period.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Shoulda, woulda, coulda is for losers. We're out of the playoffs, period.

Agreed - enormous number of injuries this year of which Ben's was the killer. The 2011 season blew up when Ben had the high ankle sprain and the 2012 season was toast after Ben sprained his shoulder while injuring his rib

It is a QB driven league and if your QB does not stay healthy you are screwed.

Combine that with the number of subpar seasons, particularly by the WRs and OLBs, as well as the Mendenhall/Wallace crap and I am glad to see this season over

FrancoLambert
01-05-2013, 10:10 AM

You're so right; we're much better than them. :doh:
Check the records again. Who qualified for the playoffs?
Calling "blind homerism."

maddog78
01-05-2013, 10:10 AM
This isn't a "coulda woulda shoulda" thread....I share Atlanta Dan's sentiments.

Time for Tomlin to take the backup QB role seriously. Ben can't stay healthy. Even in the 2010 Super Bowl year he was playing with a separated shoulder much of the time. The last two seasons have seen him rushed back too soon because the offense is nothing without him.

Get a Kyle Orton, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Moore type as the #2 and draft a mid-round prospect as #3.

sluggermatt15
01-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Steelers would probably get rolled... I hate to say that but that is my feeling. The team, as you pointed out, sustained too many injuries towards the end of the year. I'd rather have us get the #17 draft pick than get humiliated in the playoffs. Let's just move on and focus on next year. Let management decide who stays and goes. I'm already looking forward to training camp.

steelfury02
01-05-2013, 11:12 AM
I wish I saw a 2008, 2010 type Steelers in the playoffs - not a 2007, 2011 type Steelers.

IF we were at Texans today - I'd say we'd crawl back to make it a close one for half o the 4th, but, too little to late IMO

I hope they let this soak for a while - this is a terrible, terrible version of the Steelers with the attiudes hence poor execution

desertsteel
01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
No playoff teams "suck"
Yeah... some do

This isn't a "coulda woulda shoulda" thread.
Yeah... it is

maddog78
01-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Yeah... it is

Maybe on behalf of the Texans, who woulda smacked us around Reliant Stadium for 3.5 hours.

desertsteel
01-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Maybe on behalf of the Texans, who woulda smacked us around Reliant Stadium for 3.5 hours.

great thread

maddog78
01-05-2013, 05:08 PM
great thread

You had the choice of not responding, or responding with zero added value.

You chose poorly.

Fire Haley
01-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Todd is a fag and anybody that roots for him is a fag > > > Ben

steelfury02
01-05-2013, 05:12 PM
I'd say we'd be up or down by 3 against the Texans right now. The outcome of this is gonna come down to the wire - and either of these teams could be kicked around quite a bit next week

btw, you cannot pass the seal with the grail

steelfury02
01-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Todd is a fag and anybody that roots for him is a fag > > > Ben

do I really have to be exposed to this kind of stuff? Not really what I'd like to read from a Steelers fan

lloydwoodson
01-05-2013, 05:19 PM
In Houston in a few hours, had they snuck in as the 6th seed. How would everyone like their chances with no Heath, Keisel, Ike, a banged up Lewis, Wallace, Beachum, and DeCastro?

JJ Watt vs. John Malecki?

Larry Foote vs. Arian Foster?

Andre Johnson on Tez Allen?

It always sucks missing the playoffs, but I believe our season would have ended today anyway, in a not so pleasant manner.

Bad attitude to have.

Heath being out is the only major problem you listed.

Heyward fills in for Keisel, Brown + Sanders + Burress for Wallace, patchwork OL is nothing new and would be again compensated for by Haley calling screen and swing passes much to the enmity of Steeler Nation.

I like the Steelers chances against the Texans.

WVABE
01-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Cincy with -14 passing yards at the half after only 14 rushing yards against us.

Very inconsistent team, but they're in and we're out, nuff said.

desertsteel
01-05-2013, 06:05 PM
You had the choice of not responding, or responding with zero added value.

You chose poorly.

I'm bored. But I don't see any value of starting a thread saying we could have been playing today... and if we were, we would get killed.

Hawaii 5-0
01-05-2013, 06:31 PM
I like the Steelers chances against the Texans.

me too, it's not like the Texans looked all that impressive today.

Edman
01-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Cincy with -14 passing yards at the half after only 14 rushing yards against us.

Very inconsistent team, but they're in and we're out, nuff said.

And now they're out too.

Making the postseason and not winning a playoff game is just as useless as not getting there at all.

lloydwoodson
01-05-2013, 07:12 PM
And now they're out too.

Making the postseason and not winning a playoff game is just as useless as not getting there at all.

Yeah the goal is to win the superbowl and anything less is failure.

Dalton cost his team the game. He underthrew / overthrew AJ Green mutliple times. The Bengals made a mistake by going for a down-the-field game plan with a quarterback who was underthrowing deep routes.

The Bengals OC does a bad job of getting the ball into his star players hands. AJ Green didnt have a touch until the 3rd and Gresham finished with 2 catches. PA to Gresham to get him in the game early or something.

Yet another reason why the running game is important- you can always get your star player the ball if it is your running back. Arians had 40 touches.

steeltheone
01-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Marvin Lewis has proven he will never win anything as a HC. Having him in Cincy was like Norv in SD. Thats 2 less teams to worry about.

NSMaster56
01-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Based on how the season went down the Steelers deserved to miss the playoffs.

Besides, Houston is a bad matchup for the Steelers. Even at full strength the Steelers would need to play a near-perfect game to beat them on the road.

We should be glad that it was Cincy blowing that game and not our beloved team.

Hawaii 5-0
01-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Based on how the season went down the Steelers deserved to miss the playoffs.

Besides, Houston is a bad matchup for the Steelers. Even at full strength the Steelers would need to play a near-perfect game to beat them on the road.

We should be glad that it was Cincy blowing that game and not our beloved team.

I disagree, I would have rather had the chance to beat the Texans than to not have had the opportunity at all.

teegre
01-05-2013, 10:44 PM
I disagree, I would have rather had the chance to beat the Texans than to not have had the opportunity at all.

I agree with you.

I'm watching the Bengals-Texans game with my brother-in-law, and he says, "I'm glad the season is over. I was tired of losing. I didn't even want the Steelers to make the play-offs."

And, that's when it hit me: FUCK THAT!!!

I'd rather have a slim shot than NO shot.

lloydwoodson
01-06-2013, 12:37 AM
I agree with you.

I'm watching the Bengals-Texans game with my brother-in-law, and he says, "I'm glad the season is over. I was tired of losing. I didn't even want the Steelers to make the play-offs."

And, that's when it hit me: FUCK THAT!!!

I'd rather have a slim shot than NO shot.

You should have informed your brother-in-law that you have to lose games to miss the playoffs. :chuckle:

teegre
01-06-2013, 12:40 AM
You should have informed your brother-in-law that you have to lose games to miss the playoffs. :chuckle:

Ha, ha, ha... true.

Really though, what I told him was not nearly that nice. :wink02:

steelers33
01-06-2013, 02:39 AM
We suck. We lost to the freaking Bengals, who are obviously not a playoff team.

steelfury02
01-06-2013, 07:26 AM
The Bengals and Vikings were some of the worst looking 6 seeds I've ever watched. I actually had it in my mind that 1 of those 2 was going to pull it out. Abysmal.

Both winners used a variety of weapons yesterday, running it, passing it, winning TOP. Arian Foster had a huge day and Rogers had 4 receivers with 50 plus yards and 9 different targets altogether. Their FB got 1 rushing and 1 receiving TD. Damn this small-ball!

I can't imagine why Haley and Artsy-fartsy would want to try and aim for efficiency over the long-ball?:flap:

Lokki
01-06-2013, 07:47 AM
It is a QB driven league and if your QB does not stay healthy you are screwed.

Unless you are San Fran. Then your backup comes in and ignites the team and becomes the starter.

steelfury02
01-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Unless you are San Fran. Then your backup comes in and ignites the team and becomes the starter.

I'd argue that their defense has to have an A-game for that team to do anything. Mr. Tattoo (can't remember his name) still needs to be carried a little bit IMO - I do see him as that spark you mentioned though - I think some guys that otherwise lolly-gag (Crabtree) have shown up a lot more since he got under center

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2013, 08:42 AM

Jury is still out on whether that move will work or not - the fact Harbaugh was willing to dump Smith mid-season while the team was still winning supports the theory you cannot be a serious contender without a franchise QB - with the current rules the days of Trent Dilfer handing off to win a Lombardi are long gone - every Super Bowl champ since 2003 had a prime time QB

Kanata-Steeler
01-06-2013, 09:42 AM
... if Ben had NOT thrown that last end-game pick. !
ahh well, it happened.

maddog78
01-06-2013, 10:15 AM
JJ Watt against Beachum and/or Malecki? No thanks. It's better that Ben isn't rehabbing a more serious injury this offseason.

kan_t
01-06-2013, 11:00 AM
The Bengals and Vikings were some of the worst looking 6 seeds I've ever watched. I actually had it in my mind that 1 of those 2 was going to pull it out. Abysmal.

Both winners used a variety of weapons yesterday, running it, passing it, winning TOP. Arian Foster had a huge day and Rogers had 4 receivers with 50 plus yards and 9 different targets altogether. Their FB got 1 rushing and 1 receiving TD. Damn this small-ball!

I can't imagine why Haley and Artsy-fartsy would want to try and aim for efficiency over the long-ball?:flap:
I don't know keep calling a terrible running game is aim for efficiency.

steelfury02
01-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I don't know keep calling a terrible running game is aim for efficiency.

it def could have been more creative - yet, I'd stick with it if it was consistent enough - the line was starting to gel before the injuries IMO

NSMaster56
01-06-2013, 10:38 PM

And I would rather have had the chance to 'get with' Natalie Portman than to not have, but as reality would have it... no such luck.

If the Steelers wanted the chance to beat Houston (and others) then they should have closed out a few more games.

Hawaii 5-0
01-06-2013, 11:35 PM
And I would rather have had the chance to 'get with' Natalie Portman than to not have, but as reality would have it... no such luck.

that's unfortunate for you, Natalie Portman is amazing in bed...:thumbsup:

http://www.fullhdwpp.com/wp-content/uploads/Natalie-Portman-Mole_www.FullHDWpp.com_-350x196.jpg

NSMaster56
01-06-2013, 11:56 PM
that's unfortunate for you, Natalie Portman is amazing in bed...:thumbsup:

:applaudit:

Well played.

Although, I wouldn't doubt it and nor would I care if she was. :wink02:

LVSteelersfan
01-07-2013, 11:59 AM
AFC Championship is Denver/New England. No other scenario will occur whether we played or not. The NFC is wide open because all of those teams are inconsistent as hell. Glad to see RGIII out of there. That will be his legacy. Always hurt. Can't stay on the field. Running QBs never do anything.

steeltheone
01-07-2013, 05:22 PM
AFC Championship is Denver/New England. No other scenario will occur whether we played or not. The NFC is wide open because all of those teams are inconsistent as hell. Glad to see RGIII out of there. That will be his legacy. Always hurt. Can't stay on the field. Running QBs never do anything.

I will say, a hot Green Bay can beat any AFC team...SanFran can be a threat too...