PDA

View Full Version : Here is a Pole ? For Ya....

Elvis
08-15-2006, 05:53 PM
I know this is Old news... But I have a Raiders fan friend and he is a good/best friend and he Loves the Raiders reliegeously just like I do the Steelers. He still believes that Tuck Rule Call against the Patriots was a terrrible call. I agree with him... I think the Patriots had that game handed to them. He believes every call goes against the Raiders.. I have seen alot of bad calls against the Raiders.. but I believe they happen to everyone.
My Pole question for everyone is...
Do you.... now.. be Honest.... Do you really believe the NFL is against the Raiders as most all the Raiders fans believe?
I have mixed feelin's in some ways I believe they are and some ways I dont think they are...So give me your HONEST Oppinions...
God Bless All
Elvis

BBC
08-15-2006, 05:56 PM
I think it's a joke to think for even a second that an entire league is biased against a team. :hunch:

Livinginthe past
08-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Im still waiting for this Polish guy to turn up.....

NM

Hawk Believer
08-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Just to disclose my background, I have lived primarily in Seattle and San Diego. The Raiders were hated rivals in both towns. So I am not claiming to have viewed them through an unbiased filter.

That being said, I think that Raiders organization is one that has, at least over the last few decades, prided itself as being a team that embraces undisciplined players. I wouldn't claim every player fits that description (Marcus Allen for example), but there does seem to be a trend of Alzado or Romanowski types that seem to find a place in the Raider organization when other teams won't tolerate their behavior and attitude.

There are some pros to this... This trend has given the Raiders a distinctive style and, until recent years, made them a feared team. Even if you knew your team was better then the Raiders, you always knew your guys were gonna get pretty banged up when they played. The fanbase seems to eat up the attitude exuded by the team.

The flip side is that the emphasis on being tough and sometimes scary/crazy led to a lack of discipline on the field. There were many players who didn't place a premium on following rules. While you knew that the Raiders were going to play a "smashmouth" type of game, you also knew that you could draw them into needless penalties. Team cohesion seemed tenuous most of the time. It seemed like the best way to beat the Raiders was to keep your head and try to have them beat themselves.

So ultimately, I don't think there is a ref conspiracy against the Raiders. I think their undisciplined (I keep saying that word- I better open a thesaurus) play led to more penalites being called against them.

PisnNapalm
08-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Im still waiting for this Polish guy to turn up.....

NM

I was thinking the same thing actually. :sofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
08-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Just to disclose my background, I have lived primarily in Seattle and San Diego. The Raiders were hated rivals in both towns. So I am not claiming to have viewed them through an unbiased filter.

That being said, I think that Raiders organization is one that has, at least over the last few decades, prided itself as being a team that embraces undisciplined players. I wouldn't claim every player fits that description (Marcus Allen for example), but there does seem to be a trend of Alzado or Romanowski types that seem to find a place in the Raider organization when other teams won't tolerate their behavior and attitude.

There are some pros to this... This trend has given the Raiders a distinctive style and, until recent years, made them a feared team. Even if you knew your team was better then the Raiders, you always knew your guys were gonna get pretty banged up when they played. The fanbase seems to eat up the attitude exuded by the team.

The flip side is that the emphasis on being tough and sometimes scary/crazy led to a lack of discipline on the field. There were many players who didn't place a premium on following rules. While you knew that the Raiders were going to play a "smashmouth" type of game, you also knew that you could draw them into needless penalties. Team cohesion seemed tenuous most of the time. It seemed like the best way to beat the Raiders was to keep your head and try to have them beat themselves.

So ultimately, I don't think there is a ref conspiracy against the Raiders. I think their undisciplined (I keep saying that word- I better open a thesaurus) play led to more penalites being called against them.
i belive you nailed it right on the head.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Do you.... now.. be Honest.... Do you really believe the NFL is against the Raiders as most all the Raiders fans believe?
I have mixed feelin's in some ways I believe they are and some ways I dont think they are...So give me your HONEST Oppinions...

I'm just amazed that the raiders fans were able to put their :m16: down long enough to come up with a question like that...

LambertIsGod58
08-15-2006, 07:09 PM
No I truly don't think that...although I did cherish "The Immaculate Reception".

MattsMe
08-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Conspiracy? :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: Al Davis's command to "just win baby!" has led to players doing anything to gain an edge. The Raiders used to have a sign in the locker room, I can't remember exactly what it said, but basically it said cheat if you have to. Anyone remember this? There was an ex-Raider on the NFL network a while back talking about it. The Raiders had a reputation as a dirty team simply because they were. There is no conspiracy against any team in the NFL. Anyone who believes that is too blind to realize the money that is at stake. The NFL would never allow anything like this to happen simply because of what it would do to the league's image.

boLT fan
08-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Raiders fans always think everyone is against them. They'll never admit they're team commits penalties just like every other one...

RoethlisBURGHer
08-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Is the NFL against the Raiders?Not at all,if so they would have never won three Super Bowls and John Madden wouldn't be in the HoF.

However,the Raiders are known to be a dirty team.Therefore they think the league and everyone else is against them when they have penalties called against them.The type of players they embrace are too undisciplined to play penalty-free football.

The tuck rule was the correct call.A stupid rule?Yes.The correct call in the situation?Yes.

HometownGal
08-16-2006, 04:25 PM
I must say the title of this thread confused me a bit - LOL! :blurp:

I think that is a good question, Roeth. I don't think the NFL has it in for any team, personally. We may not always like or agree with the calls or the rules, but they are what they are. Those who partake of the sour grapes usually think the opposite, though.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-16-2006, 04:51 PM

Yeah agree.

Who likes rules? I look back at the Steeler v. San Diego game last year where the punt returner fumbled the ball about 5 yards in front of him. We recovered. But it violated the rule which gives the receiver 'space' to gain possesion. Everyone around the world would say fumble. But the language of the rule gives the Chargers possesion.

The refs can't interpret the 'spirit' of the rule. In the spirit of the rule both the San Diego and the Brady plays are fumbles. To the letter of the law they are not.