PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Badly Need A Feature RB in 2013

Hawaii 5-0
01-06-2013, 03:09 PM
In Need For A Lead: Steelers Need A Feature Runner in 2013

Sunday, January 6th, 2013 by Jeremy Hritz

When you think of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the running game, the names Harris, Bettis, Foster, and Parker come to mind. When you think of running backs on the current Steelers team, the names don’t exactly conjure up images of broken tackles, big runs, and streaks of 100-yard games.

Consistency was a serious issue for the 2012 Steelers across the board, but at no other position did it have more of a deleterious impact than at the position of running back. While Isaac Redman began the season as the starter, he did not finish the season that way, as Rashard Mendenhall and Jonathan Dwyer also started games. Despite earning the title of starter, the Steelers ball carriers did not necessarily get the touches a starter traditionally has received in Pittsburgh, as the offense relied on a runner-by-committee approach, even when Mike Tomlin anointed Dwyer as “the guy” near the end of the season.

The final result? A wretched ground game that ranked 26th overall in the NFL, averaging 96.1 yards per game and an inglorious 3.7 yards per carry, the worst output from a Steelers team since 2003 when the Steelers finished 6-10 (that team averaged 93 yards per game).

What is obvious for the Steelers to improve in the 2013 season is that they must commit to one runner. Whether or not they have a back that they can confidently commit to is debatable. If they had any confidence in any of the backs that are currently on the roster, then why wouldn’t they have stuck with them throughout the season, or even throughout games?

There is no question that Redman and Dwyer are excellent back-ups, but feature backs they are not. Feature backs can take over games, can convert third downs, and be counted on to hold on to the football. And while Redman and Dwyer both had quality performances this year against the Giants, Bengals, and Redskins, those performances could not be sustained throughout the season.

Mendenhall is not a feature back either, though he has put up good numbers in his career. His erratic play, not to mention his erratic behavior, including his insubordination to the Steelers organization when he skipped a game, have all but sealed his fate with the team. Mendenhall is too much headache and heartache (see fumble in Super Bowl) instead of homeruns and bringing him back would not improve the running game in 2013, not even if he is healthy.

While the Steelers will resign both Redman and Dwyer and will have Chris Rainey and Baron Batch on the roster at the position, they will be in need of a back that can carry a heavy load dependably.

So what are their options?

While the Steelers will most likely draft a running back with the intention of him becoming the starter in April, it is doubtful they would select one in the first few rounds because of the needs at other positions. The Redskins showed this past season with Alfred Morris that there is starter talent to be found later on in drafts.

The better option could come through free agency, as the St. Louis Rams have voided the final contract year of Steven Jackson per his request, and he will hit the open market in March. While not normally active in free agency, the Steelers will want to take a long, thoughtful look at Jackson, who is a physical runner that fits the traditional mold for a Steelers running back. Jackson wants to play for a winner, and at age 29, he probably would not command an obnoxious price tag. Jackson would provide an immediate boost at a position where there is a great need. The question ultimately would be is could the Steelers make it work with their current salary cap situation?

Less likely, though just as good, if not better than Jackson, would be negotiating a trade for Maurice Jones-Drew, whose dissatisfaction with the Jacksonville Jaguars is well documented. While the Jaguars would likely want too much for Jones-Drew, it wouldn’t hurt to at least feel the Jaguars out in regards to a trade.

Or, if all else remains the status quo and the Steelers resign Redman and Dwyer and then add a back via the draft in the later rounds, they just need to make a commitment and stick to it. While consistency at the running back position is not as important as it is at the quarterback position, we witnessed this year the impact that it can have on production.

This much is for certain: if 2013 is another season of musical chairs at the running back position, not only will they rival the 2003 Steelers rushing attack, but they will also be watching playoff games from home for another year.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/in-need-for-a-lead-steelers-need-a-feature-runner-in-2013/

The_Joker
01-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Been telling everyone since mid season: DRAFT OUR FUTURE BACK!!!

harrison'samonster
01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
nice. Agree with a lot of it. I didn't know Jackson was only 29. With his style of running he couldn't have a lot left, but I'd still love to see him in black and gold.

One thing's for sure, the running game needs to improve for Roethlisberger and the offense to click. I think it's more important than keeping Wallace or finding a replacement.

lloydwoodson
01-06-2013, 04:31 PM
You can not keep spending draft picks on RBs. Dwyer, Batch, Rainey.

The Saints, Packers and Patriots have been getting by without star running backs for years- not sure why their offenses run so well must be the OC.

GB leading rusher 464 yards - 27 pts/G
NO leading rusher 602 yards - 29 pts/G
DEN leading rusher 731 yards - 30 pts/G

NE rusher 667 yards - 32 pts/G. (their rb now is a luxury)

Why have all these offenses been putting up big points year after year without a feature back and the Steelers can't?

RB should be drafted late- they have short careers and they are busts often. I'd rather have an OL or DL 1st that plays 13 years than a RB who plays 4.

pittpete
01-06-2013, 04:38 PM
I would die for a bruiser like Jackson.
As I type this I'm watching Marshon Lynch(same type of back)run with authority and not stutter behind ther line.

teegre
01-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Been telling everyone since mid season: DRAFT OUR FUTURE BACK!!!

And, as we've all asked: WHO?

There is no R1-worthy RB in this draft.

pete74
01-06-2013, 04:45 PM
I don't think Peterson would do well behind our line. We need to keep our line healthy then learn to pass block and after that we can worry about another back.

steeltheone
01-06-2013, 05:01 PM
We can not afford Jackson! Maybe nobody else either.

DanRooney
01-06-2013, 05:22 PM

The Saints, Packers and Patriots have been getting by without star running backs for years- not sure why their offenses run so well must be the OC.

Why have all these offenses been putting up big points year after year without a feature back and the Steelers can't?

RB should be drafted late- they have short careers and they are busts often. I'd rather have an OL or DL 1st that plays 13 years than a RB who plays 4.

Difference is Rodgers, Brees and Peyton (and Brady) are clearly much better than Ben (not saying Ben is anything worse than great).

The_Joker
01-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Difference is Rodgers, Brees and Peyton (and Brady) are clearly much better than Ben (not saying Ben is anything worse than great).

Better, but not much better

fer522
01-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Better, but not much better

Not much better? C'mon man!!! I'm beginning to think that you are Ben :sofunny:

The_Joker
01-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Not much better? C'mon man!!! I'm beginning to think that you are Ben :sofunny:

And I'm starting to think you're Neil O'Donnell :coffee:

fer522
01-06-2013, 07:09 PM
And I'm starting to think you're Neil O'Donnell :coffee:

We're just too obvious :chuckle:

Hawaii 5-0
01-06-2013, 07:32 PM
We're just too obvious :chuckle:

not really, I thought for sure that you guys were Terry Bradshaw and Kordell Stewart...:chuckle:

Set-Man
01-06-2013, 07:54 PM

I completely agree with you. Unless it is a once in a lifetime pick (ie: Adrian Peterson) then it is a wasted pick. Trent Richardson did not do much for all the hype around him. Either did Mark Ingram on the Saints We don't have a qb that makes the quick read (ie: Marsha, Manning, or Brees) so we do need a RB to complement Ben, but it doesn't have to be first round pick.

harrison'samonster
01-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Trent Richardson did not do much for all the hype around him.

I agree that it doesn't need to be a 1st round pick, but I thought Richardson played as well as expected as a rookie on a weak offensive team.

Plus he played part of the season with broken ribs, which he admitted affected him down the stretch.

Fire Arians
01-06-2013, 08:16 PM
And, as we've all asked: WHO?

There is no R1-worthy RB in this draft.

true. to be honest giving mendenhall another shot might be the most viable option.

Set-Man
01-06-2013, 08:22 PM
true. to be honest giving mendenhall another shot might be the most viable option.

I think the Steelers problem w/ Mendenhall was his head this year. Being suspended for conduct detrimental to the team is not a good sign, especially on the Steelers. He is by far the best back we have.

Also, above I am not saying Richardson had a bad season or is a bad back. But was a first rd draft pick worth it for 950 yds rushing? Maybe if you have no other needs. I think RB can be found in the later rounds. Just my opinion.

Hawaii 5-0
01-06-2013, 08:26 PM
I think the Steelers problem w/ Mendenhall was his head this year. Being suspended for conduct detrimental to the team is not a good sign, especially on the Steelers. He is by far the best back we have.

Also, above I am not saying Richardson had a bad season or is a bad back. But was a first rd draft pick worth it for 950 yds rushing? Maybe if you have no other needs. I think RB can be found in the later rounds. Just my opinion.

I agree with you and I have read several scouting services that have said the RB class is especially deep in the middle rounds of the draft this year.

EbonySteel86
01-06-2013, 08:39 PM
I would trade all the backs we got for MJD!

steelerchad
01-06-2013, 08:46 PM
RB's can be had late in the draft and we should continue to take 1 each year late until we find a winner.
For every AP or Richardson taken in the first round, there is an Arian Foster or Alfred Morris taken late or undrafted that pans out just as well. Or there is a Mendy or Mark Ingram taken in the first who haven't fared nearly as well.
The running game is all about line play. No way I take a #1 pick on a back unless I'm totally sold he's a can't miss bell cow back for a long while. Backs now last 5 or 6 years now and you can almost count on your starter going down at some point. Stable of backs is the way to go. Our young line should start to gel and our running game will improve with it.

Steelers5895
01-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Sign Joique Bell from the Lions. He runs with power and has great hands out of the backfield. Feature him with spells of Dwyer and Rainey

cbrunn
01-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Mike Gillislee from Flordia ... 3-4 round

97g8WTgvrSs#!

there are other videos ... just youtube him ... but the kid is good , and does everything... has speed/quickness ... I love his cutting and pass blocking ... decent receiver
also only 1 year as a starter to not a lot of tread on the tires

SteelersCanada
01-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Giovani Bernard in the second round. We've fucked up our drafts so badly recently that we have to take a running back in the high rounds, now. We couldn't have picked a worse draft to do it in, either, as this draft is chalk full of defensive talent.

That, or acquire a stop-gap running back until we can draft TJ Yeldon.

NSMaster56
01-06-2013, 10:53 PM

Your last statement is true, but the comparison to other teams is flawed.

Those O's (and it's unfair to throw in Denver, who just became a throw-first factor with the addition of Peyton) thrive because they run entirely different schemes.

That aside, the Pack's OL and RB's are a mess like the Steelers, the Saints have negative defense and the Pats, their prodigious stat lines aside, still haven't won anything since spygate.

In the end, the Steelers shouldn't be worried about what other teams do on offense, but rather how to stop it and how to run an offense that best suits their needs and leads to the best results.

lloydwoodson
01-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Firstly, the Steelers do have a feature back. Fans don't like him because he tweets mean things and he fumbled in the superbowl when an unblocked Clay Matthews put his helmet directly on the ball.

Mendenhall's 2010 effort would have been good enough to finish 7th in yards and 4th in TDs among backs. Mendenhall could start for half the teams in the NFL. Mendenhall is a 25 year old former 1st round pick that would have had 3 1000 yard seasons in a row if he had not been injured.

Secondly, the banged up offensive line is more of a problem to the running game. There were 7 different OL combinations this past season. In the 5 games Mike Adams started the Steelers averaged 4.7 ypc running the ball.

Lastly, the Steelers offense has centered around Ben for the Arians years and continues to center around Ben in Haley's offense. A feature back gets 30 touches a game - no running back consistently gets even 20 touches in the Steelers offense.

I want a stronger running game as much as anyone but drafting a high pick or bringing in a FA is not the answer. Mendenhall / Redman and a healthy OL are the answer.

Terminator
01-07-2013, 07:44 AM
I don't care WHO our feature back is, but we need to fucking stick with him. I DESPISE our system of cycling in 4 different backs every other play. It is stupid and you can't name me a successful NFL franchise that does it.

steelbelieve
01-07-2013, 07:58 AM
In Need For A Lead: Steelers Need A Feature Runner in 2013

Sunday, January 6th, 2013 by Jeremy Hritz

When you think of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the running game, the names Harris, Bettis, Foster, and Parker come to mind. When you think of running backs on the current Steelers team, the names don’t exactly conjure up images of broken tackles, big runs, and streaks of 100-yard games.

Consistency was a serious issue for the 2012 Steelers across the board, but at no other position did it have more of a deleterious impact than at the position of running back. While Isaac Redman began the season as the starter, he did not finish the season that way, as Rashard Mendenhall and Jonathan Dwyer also started games. Despite earning the title of starter, the Steelers ball carriers did not necessarily get the touches a starter traditionally has received in Pittsburgh, as the offense relied on a runner-by-committee approach, even when Mike Tomlin anointed Dwyer as “the guy” near the end of the season.

The final result? A wretched ground game that ranked 26th overall in the NFL, averaging 96.1 yards per game and an inglorious 3.7 yards per carry, the worst output from a Steelers team since 2003 when the Steelers finished 6-10 (that team averaged 93 yards per game).

What is obvious for the Steelers to improve in the 2013 season is that they must commit to one runner. Whether or not they have a back that they can confidently commit to is debatable. If they had any confidence in any of the backs that are currently on the roster, then why wouldn’t they have stuck with them throughout the season, or even throughout games?

There is no question that Redman and Dwyer are excellent back-ups, but feature backs they are not. Feature backs can take over games, can convert third downs, and be counted on to hold on to the football. And while Redman and Dwyer both had quality performances this year against the Giants, Bengals, and Redskins, those performances could not be sustained throughout the season.

Mendenhall is not a feature back either, though he has put up good numbers in his career. His erratic play, not to mention his erratic behavior, including his insubordination to the Steelers organization when he skipped a game, have all but sealed his fate with the team. Mendenhall is too much headache and heartache (see fumble in Super Bowl) instead of homeruns and bringing him back would not improve the running game in 2013, not even if he is healthy.

While the Steelers will resign both Redman and Dwyer and will have Chris Rainey and Baron Batch on the roster at the position, they will be in need of a back that can carry a heavy load dependably.

So what are their options?

While the Steelers will most likely draft a running back with the intention of him becoming the starter in April, it is doubtful they would select one in the first few rounds because of the needs at other positions. The Redskins showed this past season with Alfred Morris that there is starter talent to be found later on in drafts.

The better option could come through free agency, as the St. Louis Rams have voided the final contract year of Steven Jackson per his request, and he will hit the open market in March. While not normally active in free agency, the Steelers will want to take a long, thoughtful look at Jackson, who is a physical runner that fits the traditional mold for a Steelers running back. Jackson wants to play for a winner, and at age 29, he probably would not command an obnoxious price tag. Jackson would provide an immediate boost at a position where there is a great need. The question ultimately would be is could the Steelers make it work with their current salary cap situation?

Less likely, though just as good, if not better than Jackson, would be negotiating a trade for Maurice Jones-Drew, whose dissatisfaction with the Jacksonville Jaguars is well documented. While the Jaguars would likely want too much for Jones-Drew, it wouldn’t hurt to at least feel the Jaguars out in regards to a trade.

Or, if all else remains the status quo and the Steelers resign Redman and Dwyer and then add a back via the draft in the later rounds, they just need to make a commitment and stick to it. While consistency at the running back position is not as important as it is at the quarterback position, we witnessed this year the impact that it can have on production.

This much is for certain: if 2013 is another season of musical chairs at the running back position, not only will they rival the 2003 Steelers rushing attack, but they will also be watching playoff games from home for another year.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/in-need-for-a-lead-steelers-need-a-feature-runner-in-2013/

Yes. Yes. Yes. Couldn't agree more. If, somehow we found that elite back, oh what a difference it would make to this offense and to the team overall. Keep Dwyer, and Redman, let Mendy go, and let's find this difference maker.

steelfury02
01-07-2013, 09:01 AM
outside of our entire stable of RBs being injured - the situation really can't get worse at RB in terms of personnel - it's 50/50 for me on whether Mendy should stay or go - I want a decisive Mendy, regardless of the job the O-line is doing. I wouldn't call 2010's O-line anything more than serviceable and he did less dancing and more hitting whatever was in front of him - even if it meant only 2-4 yards.

I will give credit where credit is due in terms of the best running game plan called under Arians and best execution by O personnel - IMO - 2010 AFC champ game is what I'd like to see more consistently with the run game - not the days of Bettis - but balance, and being able to take the pressure off of Ben where we can. Mendy had 121 yards that day against a very good (at the time) Jets D. We need that card in our hand for us to go anywhere - not just Ben's skill set. I wouldn't mind seeing a different guy giving the starter a breather - but, as the O-line said - need to have someone consistently in there to get into a rhythm and build their confidence

Not a huge Mendy fan - but, giving him another chance isn't the end of the world either. I could live with either way. I wouldn't go that high for an RB again. Not caught up on this coming draft class of RBs versus 2014's - does anyone think next year's draft class would give us a better RB (meaning - maybe we should at least keep Mendy around for another season or two even?)

Thanks!

wwhickok
01-07-2013, 09:14 AM
I actually genuinely believe we will see the Steelers draft a RB in the 2nd or 3rd as well as a QB because I dont think Leftwich or Batch will be back. But having said that Dwyer or Redman or both will be back. Mendenhall will not.

Fire Arians
01-07-2013, 10:40 AM
I actually genuinely believe we will see the Steelers draft a RB in the 2nd or 3rd as well as a QB because I dont think Leftwich or Batch will be back. But having said that Dwyer or Redman or both will be back. Mendenhall will not.

do we need to draft a new qb if we're keeping hoyer for backup duties? i would be more inclined to draft if ben was retiring soon but i don't see that.

now previously i said use a mid-late pick on a qb to address the backup issue, but that's before we picked up hoyer

steelfury02
01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
do we need to draft a new qb if we're keeping hoyer for backup duties? i would be more inclined to draft if ben was retiring soon but i don't see that.

now previously i said use a mid-late pick on a qb to address the backup issue, but that's before we picked up hoyer

I'd have no problem going RB in 3rd if we got huge ready to contribute assets on D in 1st two rounds. I believe from what I'm seeing, you can get a starter in Rd 2 this draft? So - might even be plausible to get a full-timer in Rd 3. Stranger things have happened.

All speculative - it would have to depend if we really want someone else on D at round 3 that falls lower than expected

Do you think we trade up for anyone like say #17 spot to 7-10 spot for a real tangible "holy shit I can't believe we got him the black and gold for years to come?"

Hawaii 5-0
01-07-2013, 11:22 AM

the Steelers have already cut Brian Hoyer and he is no longer on the current roster.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-07-2013, 06:54 PM
There are no 1st round worthy RBs in this year's class.

Been saying it for a while-- we are better off getting Mendenhall healthy and getting over whatever went on between he and Tomlin behind the scenes this year. It is petty and stupid to cost the team to have to spend another high draft pick for yet another RB, simple because he and Tomlin have some sort of personnal differences.

The team has plenty of other draft needs this year without having to waste pick #17 on another RB.

When healthy, and behind a re-worked Oline, I think mendy is still our best option. Anything out of the draft would be a reach if we went higher than 2nd.

teegre
01-07-2013, 07:01 PM
There are no 1st round worthy RBs in this year's class.

Agree 100%.

SteelersCanada
01-07-2013, 07:03 PM
I want TJ Yeldon! Waaaaah. :crying01:

The_Joker
01-07-2013, 07:25 PM
I want TJ Yeldon! Waaaaah. :crying01:

I've wanted Alfred Morris, but we all can't what we want :noidea:

SteelersCanada
01-07-2013, 07:29 PM
I've wanted Alfred Morris, but we all can't what we want :noidea:

In two years we can get TJ! I mean, it'll cost us a first round pick but I think it'll be worth it.

caseydog
01-07-2013, 07:31 PM
We desperately need a power back. We got Bettis from another team, and got a back that could regularly turn third and short into a first down. Getting another "Bus" is one of the pieces of the puzzle we need to be a dominant team. Ben can't carry the offense.

An effective passing game needs a solid, productive running game. We need a back that defenses worry about.

CD

The_Joker
01-07-2013, 07:33 PM
We desperately need a power back. We got Bettis from another team, and got a back that could regularly turn third and short into a first down. Getting another "Bus" is one of the pieces of the puzzle we need to be a dominant team. Ben can't carry the offense.

An effective passing game needs a solid, productive running game. We need a back that defenses worry about.

CD

Trade for Alfred Morris!!!

cbrunn
01-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Eddie Lacy tonight ... could very well be worth the 2nd ... but thing with Bama backs is they are always running behind such a beasty Oline

SteelersCanada
01-07-2013, 07:45 PM
We don't need or want another Jerome Bettis. This isn't 2005, we need someone like AP or Arian Foster as our next running back.

The only way I'd say getting a Power Back would be useful was if he came on the field for third-and-short, and then subbed out. But, we have Will Johnson for that and don't necessarily even need a RB in that situation. I agree we need a legitimate running game, but we need Back that can, ya know, bounce it outside and make plays happen outside the tackles and in open space. I don't want to see another out of shape and overweight RB be our guy.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-07-2013, 08:06 PM
We don't need or want another Jerome Bettis. This isn't 2005, we need someone like AP or Arian Foster as our next running back.

The only way I'd say getting a Power Back would be useful was if he came on the field for third-and-short, and then subbed out. But, we have Will Johnson for that and don't necessarily even need a RB in that situation. I agree we need a legitimate running game, but we need Back that can, ya know, bounce it outside and make plays happen outside the tackles and in open space. I don't want to see another out of shape and overweight RB be our guy.

I agree I would love to see a back who has the speed to bounce it out and get to the second level. But I don't think the steelers/Rooneys want that. I remember seeing a stat this year showing that 85% maybe more of our running plays where inside the tackles.

And the case of lacy is he has some speed not much. He's the mold of Trent r who did pretty well this year. But then again lacy looks so good because he is playing behide a oline that some could say is better than the steelers.

casteeler
01-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Eddie Lacy tonight ... could very well be worth the 2nd ... but thing with Bama backs is they are always running behind such a beasty Oline

I agree. Lacy runs with a purpose. Why everyone wants to draft a LB is crazy to me. If there is one focus in this draft it should be RB and a backup for Ben. We've seen first hand in the wildcard round of this years playoffs that a solid,dependable backup is absolutely needed. The Steelers ignoring the fact that Ben WILL miss a couple of games due to injury and not addressing the backup QB issue would be devastating.

cbrunn
01-07-2013, 08:20 PM
I am absolutely loving Chance Warmack in the 1st and Lacy in the 2nd... or if anything Warmack in the 1st

Sanders-----------------Gilbert - Warmack - Pouncey - Decastro - Adams - Heath/Paulson ----------------------------------Brown
----------------------------------------------------------Ben

-----------------------------------------------------Will Johnson
------------------------------------------------Dwyer / Eddie Lacy

SteelersCanada
01-07-2013, 08:24 PM
I agree I would love to see a back who has the speed to bounce it out and get to the second level. But I don't think the steelers/Rooneys want that. I remember seeing a stat this year showing that 85% maybe more of our running plays where inside the tackles.

And the case of lacy is he has some speed not much. He's the mold of Trent r who did pretty well this year. But then again lacy looks so good because he is playing behide a oline that some could say is better than the steelers.

That has nothing to do with the Rooneys. Haley recognized that Dwyer and Redman aren't capable of doing anything outside the tackles and could only run it up the middle.

I agree on Lacy. He's running behind an All-Pro offensive line. Take everything he does with a grain of salt.

SteeleReign
01-07-2013, 08:31 PM

I think that's part of the difference. But I think the o-line issues and a highly predictable offensive gameplan are as much to blame.

lloydwoodson
01-07-2013, 08:37 PM

I agree that Bama's line inflates the numbers of its running backs. However, Lacy had a 6.8 ypc average in his career at Bama beating Richardson by a full ypc (5.8).

Lacy is a hard runner who is hard to tackle and is explosive. The best part is that he is a 1 cut runner who is very decisive- he absolutely will not dance around like Mendenhall no way.

I don't care WHO our feature back is, but we need to fucking stick with him. I DESPISE our system of cycling in 4 different backs every other play. It is stupid and you can't name me a successful NFL franchise that does it.

I agree that cycling running backs is dumb when Dwyer and Redman are very similar and Batch and Rainey have a similar role.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-07-2013, 08:43 PM
That has nothing to do with the Rooneys. Haley recognized that Dwyer and Redman aren't capable of doing anything outside the tackles and could only run it up the middle.

I agree on Lacy. He's running behind an All-Pro offensive line. Take everything he does with a grain of salt.

The Rooneys are as much responisble for that just has much as tomlin and Haley. He's the one that's wants to vert back to the Bettie era. Rooney has been widely criticized throughout the Pittsburgh media as getting to involved with the team. Haley came in and was going to listen to whatever his boss wants just like everyone does in any job.

Millers the sh!t
01-07-2013, 09:07 PM
I say draft o line instead or RB. Get a great o line coach and we will be on in the run game. I think Kugler didn't do shit for us as a coach. O line is weak, lacks heart, physicality and can't open a lane for a toothpick. Once we can open some holes, any of our backs will average 4 + a carry. A. Peterson would struggle to play competitive behind our pathetic line. I know we have the talent to play much better than we are but we need the coach to get it out of these men. I like colons physicality but we should Draft a left guard and properly coach this o line to have heart, play physical but gracefully, play smart, and stay healthy.

After the o line pick, draft MLB the rest will be icing.

lloydwoodson
01-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Eddie Lacey is having a monster game in the National Championship. I'm going to stop hyping him because he will be gone in the 1st round and the Steelers aren't drafting him.

Lacey is a great player. Guaranteed 1000 yard NFL rusher and possibly a Probowler. I don't care how good his line is at Bama.

The best thing about ND vs Bama is Manti T'eo's stock just dropped- he is having a bad game. :thumbsup:

fer522
01-07-2013, 09:36 PM
But I still think he'll go before 17:banging:

big pig
01-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Some keep bringing up Mendys fumble in the superbowl, I believe there was another guy that fumbled in a superbowl that you all keep compairing him to, hmm what was his name oh yes the bus. There are at least a few of ya that r thinking right, the o line needs a ton of help and the d needs to get a little younger. there needs to b a blend. Theres a ton of those feature backs that could'nt run behind this line this year. Time to get a younger qb to backup Ben too.

lloydwoodson
01-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Some keep bringing up Mendys fumble in the superbowl, I believe there was another guy that fumbled in a superbowl that you all keep compairing him to, hmm what was his name oh yes the bus. There are at least a few of ya that r thinking right, the o line needs a ton of help and the d needs to get a little younger. there needs to b a blend. Theres a ton of those feature backs that could'nt run behind this line this year. Time to get a younger qb to backup Ben too.

Bettis fumbled on the goal line against Indy in the divisional round of 2005. Lynch's fumble vs Skins reminded me of it very much even though Bettis ran to the right on his fumble and Lynch to the left.