PDA

View Full Version : RGIII has partially torn ACL and LCL

Fire Haley
01-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Fire Shanny!

The Washington Post reports that Robert Griffin III's Monday MRI revealed a partially torn ACL and LCL in his right knee.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/253708/report-rgiii-has-partially-torn-acl-and-lcl

Vis
01-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Fire Shanny!

The Washington Post reports that Robert Griffin III's Monday MRI revealed a partially torn ACL and LCL in his right knee.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/253708/report-rgiii-has-partially-torn-acl-and-lcl

Fire the groundskeeper

The_Joker
01-07-2013, 05:48 PM
The town's in an uproar around here.

Damn shame, the kid's legit.

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Fire the groundskeeper

Indeed - two major knee injuries yesterday on the field where Adrian Peterson tore his ACL in 2011

The agent for top Seattle Seahawks pass rusher Chris Clemons said his client's injury on Sunday was due to the "crappy" field conditions at FedEx Field.

Donal Henderson told NFL Network that the sloppy turf played a role in Clemons' injury, which is feared to be an ACL tear that could end his season.

He has a point.

FedEx Field's turf was a dangerous embarrassment on Sunday. Before the game even started, there were bald patches between the hashmarks and sloppy turf near midfield. Once play began, conditions quickly got worse. Multiple Redskins slipped on the team's first possession. When their feet slid, chunks of grass would fly up like after a golfer hitting a 9-iron.

By the time Clemons and Robert Griffin III went down in the fourth quarter, the grass at FedEx Field looked like it had hosted a massive game of horseshoes. Players didn't need cleats, they needed work boots.

It's nothing new for FedEx Field, which was in rough shape for each of the Redskins' eight home games this season. For most of the year, it resembled the much-maligned field in Pittsburgh

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/07/chris-clemons-agent-blames-crappy-field-for-injury/1813685/

I have been dreading similar disasters happening at Heinz Cow Pasture

vasteeler
01-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Fire the groundskeeper

while we are at it fire ours too!!

Fire Arians
01-07-2013, 06:59 PM
sucks, i hope he has a speedy recorvery, i like the kid

ricardisimo
01-07-2013, 10:12 PM
sucks, i hope he has a speedy recorvery, i like the kid
Exactly. As much as I despise Snyder, I think it stinks that he finally starts doing things the right way and this lightning bolt hits them.

lloydwoodson
01-08-2013, 12:59 AM
The best thing about RGIII's performance on Sunday was his postgame interview. A guaranteed controversy was brewing in Washington- should Shanahan have played an injured RGIII? RGIII handled the questions thrown at him better than I have ever seen. NFL Network reported exactlywhat RGIII wanted them to: every analyst repeated verbatim "RGIII should have been in the game because he is the best option at quarterback for that team." My God he made life easy for his coaches!

He maintained the team's positive direction while completely shielding his coaches from criticism, and Washington's coaches should have been criticized. Honestly, who calls designed running plays for a franchise quarterback with partial ACL and MCL tears???? RGIII should have let his coaches have it both barrels but he kept the entire team in mind and made the absolute best of the season giving the Skins something to build on. Amazing that in this day in age a quarterback risks tens of millions of dollars just to win a wild card game.

PATS16N0
01-08-2013, 02:46 AM
The best thing about RGIII's performance on Sunday was his postgame interview. A guaranteed controversy was brewing in Washington- should Shanahan have played an injured RGIII? RGIII handled the questions thrown at him better than I have ever seen. NFL Network reported exactlywhat RGIII wanted them to: every analyst repeated verbatim "RGIII should have been in the game because he is the best option at quarterback for that team." My God he made life easy for his coaches!

He maintained the team's positive direction while completely shielding his coaches from criticism, and Washington's coaches should have been criticized. Honestly, who calls designed running plays for a franchise quarterback with partial ACL and MCL tears???? RGIII should have let his coaches have it both barrels but he kept the entire team in mind and made the absolute best of the season giving the Skins something to build on. Amazing that in this day in age a quarterback risks tens of millions of dollars just to win a wild card game.

Good points. I never considered what you said in the first paragraph but you're absolutely right - the media was parroting him word for word.

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2013, 08:59 AM
I believe part of the holy creed for NFL players is that they will never call out a coach for letting them stay in the game - RGIII follows that pattern

For example, for all of the bitching that Ben has done over the years he has never to my recollection questioned a decision by either Cowher (who let him play in 2006 in Oakland in a game in which Ben threw 4 picks after Ben sustained a concussion in Atlanta the previous week) or Tomlin (I have lost count of all the games Ben has played while seriously hurting, although the 2011 Monday night game he played on one leg is one incident) to let him play

OTOH if a player sits he may be called out by his teammates (Hines when Ben did not play the 2009 Sunday night game in Baltimore after sustaining a concussion the previous week in KC)

So unless the coach takes the heat for sitting a player it is not going to happen and the player is not going to say he should not have played

BrandonCarr39
01-09-2013, 12:02 AM
The Skins just ran into a better and a very hot team(Seattle). The Hawks have one nasty defense.

TRH
01-09-2013, 01:52 AM
The only way to preserve his career is to keep him from running so much. Period. The funny thing is - this was discussed earlier this season near the midway point. And now look. He's out likely 8-12 months according to doctor speculation today.
Griffin himself must realize this. Throw the ball away if you have to. Because if he doesn't he will continue to take monstrous hits and will never see a long-term career with his maximum potential - and will end up being a footnote instead of a legend.
Russell Wilson is going to have to learn the same thing (although he's better at dodging defenders than Griffin is). The way he scrambles and runs, he's also due to take a huge hit (or hits).

Much is made of this new style of "running, scrambling QB" and how they're going to change the game, but they're all going to rack up serious injuries - especially with the league coming down on upper body/head type hits. Now the vicious tackles are going downstairs and its the QB's, who are more fragile than other position players, who are going to pay the price for this new league policy. Torn ACL's will be common for QB's - just as they are for RB's.

Fire Haley
01-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Robert Griffin III out 6-8 months with complete ACL, LCL tears

Redskins QB Robert Griffin III will undergo total reconstruction of knee for complete tear of ACL and LCL. Recovery projection: 6-8 mos.

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/288888298867400704

Vis
01-09-2013, 06:36 AM
Robert Griffin III out 6-8 months with complete ACL, LCL tears

Redskins QB Robert Griffin III will undergo total reconstruction of knee for complete tear of ACL and LCL. Recovery projection: 6-8 mos.

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/288888298867400704

Meanwhile, the team needs to change the playbook and lose 90% of the called QB runs and options.

Fire Haley
01-09-2013, 07:10 AM
sounds like the Doc owes him a new knee for free

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2013, 07:48 AM
sounds like the Doc owes him a new knee for free

Yep - one of the subplots here is whether Shanahan ignored Dr. Andrews advice or Andrews is covering his a** by now saying he was worried - if Andrews was that concerned he should have gone to Snyder - it is not as if Andrews will miss the mortgage payment if Shanahan gets him fired as team doc

steelax04
01-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Is it the same knee he blew up in college? If so, I'd be concerned that this may be something that hampers him for the rest of his career.

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Is it the same knee he blew up in college? If so, I'd be concerned that this may be something that hampers him for the rest of his career.

Same knee - the alleged reason it took so long to diagnose the tear was because of the old injury - Redskins bet their future on RGIII and that future is in doubt - there is a reason NFL offenses are not built around QBs that run

lloydwoodson
01-09-2013, 09:00 AM
OTOH if a player sits he may be called out by his teammates (Hines when Ben did not play the 2009 Sunday night game in Baltimore after sustaining a concussion the previous week in KC)

So unless the coach takes the heat for sitting a player it is not going to happen and the player is not going to say he should not have played

Those are good points you made and I agree that a quarterback's dedication as a leader would be called into question by his teammates if he sat needlessly. However, RG III clearly made a decision that benefitted his team at great personal loss. This injury could permanently dampen RG III's effectiveness, marketability and income.

Quarterbacks get injured every week in the NFL they don't automatically lose the support of their teammates. Hines and Ben did not get along because they both have big egos- if Hines had liked Ben he wouldn't have had a problem with him sitting out a game after a concussion.

RG III made me a fan with his performance. Has there been a more gritty performance by an athlete that you can recall? RG III is the toughest quarterback in the NFL. Seriously who plays with a torn ACL / MCL?

Unbelievable.

Fire Haley
01-09-2013, 09:10 AM
6-8 months sounds a bit short for a full knee reconstruction

they trying to rush RGIII back early?

On Monday, coach Mike Shanahan suggested that he’s be willing to consider a switch to an artificial surface

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Those are good points you made and I agree that a quarterback's dedication as a leader would be called into question by his teammates if he sat needlessly. However, RG III clearly made a decision that benefitted his team at great personal loss. This injury could permanently dampen RG III's effectiveness, marketability and income. .

I question how much he benefited the team after he aggravated the injury immediately prior to the second TD - RGIII was ineffective after that and most of the complaints arise from Shanahan not pulling him after it was clear he was ineffective after the first quarter and before the complete blow out of the knee in the 4th quarter

Since the player will always want to go the head coach needs to decide, once the player is given a chance to play, whether the player is effective

By way of example, Ben was hobbled but effective in the Baltimore game in 2010 when he entered the game with a bum foot and then had his nose broken - OTOH Ben was ineffective when he played on the badly sprained ankle in 2011 in San Francisco and was messed up for the rest of the year. So Tomlin got it right one time and blew it the other time - fortunately in neither case was the risk of aggravating the injury a potential career impacter

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2013, 09:59 AM
6-8 months sounds a bit short for a full knee reconstruction

they trying to rush RGIII back early?

Isn't that the time frame they are discussing for Heath Miller?

Fire Haley
01-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Isn't that the time frame they are discussing for Heath Miller?

that's the hope

Heath had ACL, MCL and partial PCL tears...plus he is 30 while RGIII is 22....so we'll have to see

kan_t
01-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Yep - one of the subplots here is whether Shanahan ignored Dr. Andrews advice or Andrews is covering his a** by now saying he was worried - if Andrews was that concerned he should have gone to Snyder - it is not as if Andrews will miss the mortgage payment if Shanahan gets him fired as team doc

"I've been a nervous wreck letting him come back as quick as he has. He's doing a lot better this week, but he's still recovering and I'm holding my breath because of it. He passed all the tests and all the functional things we do, but it's been a trying moment for me, to be honest with you."

-- Dr. James Andrews, the Redskins' team orthopedist, to USA Today, on Robert Griffin III's four-week-old knee sprain. Andrews told the newspaper he didn't clear Griffin to return to the game on Dec. 9, though the Redskins said Griffin was cleared to return.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130107/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-nfl-playoffs-wild-card/#ixzz2HJqfVUox

Shanahan should be fired.

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2013, 11:19 AM
"I've been a nervous wreck letting him come back as quick as he has. He's doing a lot better this week, but he's still recovering and I'm holding my breath because of it. He passed all the tests and all the functional things we do, but it's been a trying moment for me, to be honest with you."

-- Dr. James Andrews, the Redskins' team orthopedist, to USA Today, on Robert Griffin III's four-week-old knee sprain. Andrews told the newspaper he didn't clear Griffin to return to the game on Dec. 9, though the Redskins said Griffin was cleared to return.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130107/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-nfl-playoffs-wild-card/#ixzz2HJqfVUox

Shanahan should be fired.

IMO that is a** covering by Andrews - he may not have been given the opportunity to clear RGIII for a return to the Baltimore game, but putting out an "I am holding my breath" quote without also saying he should not play and going to Snyder about it is pointless - if Andrews was so concerned he should have gone on the record that RGIII should not play before the Dallas or Seattle games - if any team doc had the clout to go over the head coach's head it was Andrews - IMO Andrews should resign if he is that powerless

kan_t
01-09-2013, 11:38 AM
IMO that is a** covering by Andrews - he may not have been given the opportunity to clear RGIII for a return to the Baltimore game, but putting out an "I am holding my breath" quote without also saying he should not play and going to Snyder about it is pointless - if Andrews was so concerned he should have gone on the record that RGIII should not play before the Dallas or Seattle games - if any team doc had the clout to go over the head coach's head it was Andrews - IMO Andrews should resign if he is that powerless

The problem is not that he allowed Shanahan to start him against the Cowboys IMO. As Andrews said RG3 cleared all the tests so there's no point to stop Shanahan. But he's curious and clearly stated that there was a risk. The Redskins took it, fine. But the coach should be closely monitor the situation. If you watched the game against the Seahawks, you knew that RG3 was clear not right after the first quarter. At that time there was no reason not to pull him. It's all on the coach.

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2013, 01:10 PM
The problem is not that he allowed Shanahan to start him against the Cowboys IMO. As Andrews said RG3 cleared all the tests so there's no point to stop Shanahan. But he's curious and clearly stated that there was a risk. The Redskins took it, fine. But the coach should be closely monitor the situation. If you watched the game against the Seahawks, you knew that RG3 was clear not right after the first quarter. At that time there was no reason not to pull him. It's all on the coach.

If my doctor says he is holding my breath if I do not get a heart bypass but does not tell me I should get a heart bypass that is not of much use if I have a heart attack

I agree it is on Shanahan for not pulling RGIII but if Andrews was covering for himself by claiming he did not have a chance to examine Griffin before he went back into the Baltimore game, what is his explanation for not examining him after anyone watching the game on TV could see Griffin's knee was reinjured at the end of the 1st quarter of the Seattle game:noidea:

Plenty of blame to go around here

stb_steeler
01-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Meanwhile, the team needs to change the playbook and lose 90% of the called QB runs and options.

When are coaches in the league going to realize a running QB will always get hurt.
Didnt they watch the Kordell years....:doh:

harrison'samonster
01-09-2013, 01:57 PM
When are coaches in the league going to realize a running QB will always get hurt.
Didnt they watch the Kordell years....:doh:

it's a win now league. If there is somebody capable of taking a team to the playoffs several times within a 2-5 yr window by throwing and running, there is always going to be a coach willing to take a chance.

I agree, long term it's a terrible investment. And if the SB victory is the goal, then running doesn't help. But if you want an exciting game that will sell, your Vick-like QB's are a big thing.

stb_steeler
01-09-2013, 02:15 PM
it's a win now league. If there is somebody capable of taking a team to the playoffs several times within a 2-5 yr window by throwing and running, there is always going to be a coach willing to take a chance.

I agree, long term it's a terrible investment. And if the SB victory is the goal, then running doesn't help. But if you want an exciting game that will sell, your Vick-like QB's are a big thing.

yeah i understand its all about the chance of gettin to the big dance, dont matter the future of the player.....