PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger: Cutler would like working with Arians

Hawaii 5-0
01-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Roethlisberger: Cutler would like working with Arians

http://www.trbimg.com/img-50ec93c4/turbine/chi-roethlisberger-says-cutler-would-like-aria-001/600

Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians gets support from Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger.

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter
January 8, 2013

Ben Roethlisberger isn’t close with Jay Cutler, but he has no doubt the Chicago Bears quarterback would enjoy working with Bruce Arians.

In a conversation with the Tribune, the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback supported the Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator for a head-coaching position. Arians is expected to interview with the Bears, Cleveland Browns and Philadelphia Eagles beginning later this week.

Arians is a candidate for NFL Coach of the Year after replacing Chuck Pagano while the Colts coach was on a medical leave battling leukemia. Arians is given credit for his work with Colts rookie quarterback Andrew Luck this season and previously in a run in Indianapolis he helped develop a young Peyton Manning.

“As long as Jay is willing to be open to being coached by a guy like B.A.,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday. “Not really knowing Jay, I can even say that because I know Jay will like B.A. because B.A. is that kind of guy. He’s gonna like Jay and he wants to work with guys. Guys really respect him. I think he would be able to not only work with but be great with Jay and I think Jay would like him a lot.”

Bears general manager Phil Emery has a list of at least 13 candidates he has or will interview for the job. Eight have an offensive background and it is believed finding a new coach to build around Cutler and dramatically improve the stagnant Bears offense is a priority. Cutler did not click under three offensive staffs former coach Lovie Smith had over a span of four seasons.

Roethlisberger was a two-time Pro Bowl performer under Arians and enjoyed his finest statistical season in 2007 with a 104.1 passer rating and 32 touchdowns against just 11 interceptions. That was Arians’ first season as offensive coordinator after being promoted from wide receivers coach.

“He works with what he’s got and with the players that he has, the personnel that he’s got,” Roethlisberger said. “He helped me really understand and learn the offense and is patient and was willing to work with me and not just be my boss. But really kind of make it work together.

“I think he is a players-coach. When I say that, I don’t mean he’s favored the players. I say that because he is fair and players respect him. You’re not going to always get your way as a player, and you shouldn’t. You respect his decision and his calls and the things he does. He would be a fit for a head coaching job perfectly.”

Roethlisberger believes Arians has the personality to control a room full of the entire team too.

“One-hundred percent,” he said. “Like I’ve said, guys respect him. When he was with Pittsburgh, he got along with the defensive guys just as well as the offensive guys because he competed with them in 7 on-7 and other drills and everyone respects him because he’s been around for a long time, he knows what he is talking about and so you’ve got to understand that is what you are going to get from him.

“He knows when to push you. People always thought that it was this great relationship that was hunky dory. But we got into our disagreements, our arguments. I think that is healthy. All good relationships should have that and he knows how to motivate each player. He’s not just a yeller. He’s not just a screamer. He knows how to get in your face, he knows how to not get in your face and talk to you. So, I think he’s the kind of guy you respect and want to play for.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-roethlisberger-says-cutler-would-like-arians-20130108,0,2646064.story

SteelersCanada
01-08-2013, 11:58 PM
Of course Ben said this, he's buddy-buddy with him. I'll tell you this - Brandon Marshall would clash with Arians and it wouldn't be because of Marshall.

lloydwoodson
01-09-2013, 12:15 AM
I agree that Roethlisberger's stance is ridiculous.

Ben's gushing support for Arians shows how he manipulates the media to get what he wants.

Want your BFF to get the head coaching job in Chicago? Go on and on to sportswriters about how great a guy he is.

Cutler is a joke. He is the problem with the Bears and they just fired an excellent coach over him. Chicago is caving in to the demands of their "star quarterback." They brought him Mike Martz the best "down the field" coordinator in the NFL today (who has since been fired meanwhile the offense got worse), surrounded him with high draft picks and a star WR in Brandon Marshall... and their offense is terrible.

If teams do not maintain control of the team they will lose games. If they have a quarterback who is fighting the team over the decisions they make they will lose games.

The more the Bears cave the worse they get. I am sure that Arians would be great for Cutler's individual career- but why not think of the other 52 guys on the roster? After all, it is the Bears having a top 5 defense that got Cutler his only 2 winning seasons.

TRH
01-09-2013, 01:56 AM
who cares? No big deal - at all.

Once again, anything he says is super over-analyzed. I have no problem with any of that.

OX1947
01-09-2013, 04:16 AM
Anyone have a ball gag Marcellus Wallace and Butch wore in pulp fiction to put in Ben's mouth? Whether he says anything that is bad or good, he makes me want to go to the bathroom.

steelersfan77
01-09-2013, 06:35 AM
My response. Ben worry about gushing over Arians after your career is over. Its done, he's gone, move on. Arians is a big boy, he can handle himself.

Ben needs to worry about this organization and bring home Lombardi's.

maddog78
01-09-2013, 06:53 AM
Maybe Ben's angling for a trade. Art II wants to build the team around Jonathan Dwyer apparently. Stranger things have happened.

Fire Haley
01-09-2013, 07:24 AM
"Hire Arians!"

ha ha

meanwhile, Ben says Haley can't even make him a decent cup of coffee

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Agreed it is a non-story, but if the Bears are giving any consideration to Ben's opinion that franchise is even more screwed up than it appears to be

Check with Hines Ward as to whether Arians was respected by everyone

steelfury02
01-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Why exactly is the media still paying so much attention to a guy that has been gone for a while now? I can never seem to remember hearing this much about a guy that is gone.

Arians finds another QB's ass to kiss . . .Does Ben think the QB will like it?

Arians takes a dump . . . What color does Ben think it will be?

Arians predicts a new date for his end of the world party . . .Will Ben be there with his famous beef jerky? . . .oh yea, they no longer endorse him . . .

maddog78
01-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Why exactly is the media still paying so much attention to a guy that has been gone for a while now? I can never seem to remember hearing this much about a guy that is gone.

Arians finds another QB's ass to kiss . . .Does Ben think the QB will like it?

Arians takes a dump . . . What color does Ben think it will be?

Arians predicts a new date for his end of the world party . . .Will Ben be there with his famous beef jerky? . . .oh yea, they no longer endorse him . . .

Rod Woodson? Plax Burress?

FanSince72
01-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Why all the bitterness?

Can't any of you see ANY good in this man?
BA has been praised by virtually everyone in media, he's up for coach of the year and he's in demand as a HC and all you can do is wallow in venom and criticism.

As far as being Ben's BFF goes, yes that's absolutely true and there's nothing wrong with that. The reason why Ben has had such a crummy year is because he went from working with a guy who was open-minded, a guy who understood his players and who (from all accounts) had a great personality and was fun to work with, to a morose, "X's and O's" screamer who is trying to do things HIS way even if it costs the team years of ineffective mediocrity.

Ben thrived under Arians and I'll be the first to admit that BA wasn't always right and that some of the things he came up with seemed more experimental than planned, but that was his genius - the ability to think outside the box and a willingness to try different things without fear and that is something that Haley seems incapable of doing.

Yeah I know, BA didn't coah "Steeler Football" (whatever that is) and he was more like Father Flannagan than Sergeant Hartmann and so what? He got results and his record proves that. He got things out of players by understanding what they were godd at doing rather than trying to shove some "philosophy" down their throats or by drawing "My way or the highway" lines in the sand. He wasn't always successful, but his body of work and the good will that follows him around speaks for itself.

But you guys seem to think that there's something wrong with a coach talking to players rather than screaming at them or that a coach should be giving orders instead of taking suggestions and working with players and that, in my opinion, is ridiculous. This team (offensively) is in disarray not because of injuries or poor execution but because of Haley. He has destroyed the chemistry that existed before and he seems to alienate people on a minute-by-minute basis and that simply isn't going to work.

Chemistry is everything and Haley has none. Ben didn't have a bad year because he's lost his chops or because of injury. He had a bad year because he went from a nurturing environment to a toxic environment and that's not going to change as long as Haley is here. Arians, on the other hand, has gone from a successful run here to yet another successful run in Indy and his star is rising while we're stuck with a black hole.

Arians was and is a good coach and if you can't see that, then you're just not looking (or don't want to). Arians is being praised by many and is in demand while Haley just bounces from team to team leaving disappointment and acrimony in his wake. Ben is lost right now because he doesn't just miss a good coach but he misses a good friend and good friends are hard to find.

teegre
01-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Anyone have a ball gag Marcellus Wallace and Butch wore in pulp fiction to put in Ben's mouth? Whether he says anything that is bad or good, he makes me want to go to the bathroom.

We'll go to work on him, with a pair of pliers & a blowtorch.

steelfury02
01-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Why all the bitterness?

Can't any of you see ANY good in this man?
BA has been praised by virtually everyone in media, he's up for coach of the year and he's in demand as a HC and all you can do is wallow in venom and criticism.

As far as being Ben's BFF goes, yes that's absolutely true and there's nothing wrong with that. The reason why Ben has had such a crummy year is because he went from working with a guy who was open-minded, a guy who understood his players and who (from all accounts) had a great personality and was fun to work with, to a morose, "X's and O's" screamer who is trying to do things HIS way even if it costs the team years of ineffective mediocrity.

Ben thrived under Arians and I'll be the first to admit that BA wasn't always right and that some of the things he came up with seemed more experimental than planned, but that was his genius - the ability to think outside the box and a willingness to try different things without fear and that is something that Haley seems incapable of doing.

Yeah I know, BA didn't coah "Steeler Football" (whatever that is) and he was more like Father Flannagan than Sergeant Hartmann and so what? He got results and his record proves that. He got things out of players by understanding what they were godd at doing rather than trying to shove some "philosophy" down their throats or by drawing "My way or the highway" lines in the sand. He wasn't always successful, but his body of work and the good will that follows him around speaks for itself.

But you guys seem to think that there's something wrong with a coach talking to players rather than screaming at them or that a coach should be giving orders instead of taking suggestions and working with players and that, in my opinion, is ridiculous. This team (offensively) is in disarray not because of injuries or poor execution but because of Haley. He has destroyed the chemistry that existed before and he seems to alienate people on a minute-by-minute basis and that simply isn't going to work.

Chemistry is everything and Haley has none. Ben didn't have a bad year because he's lost his chops or because of injury. He had a bad year because he went from a nurturing environment to a toxic environment and that's not going to change as long as Haley is here. Arians, on the other hand, has gone from a successful run here to yet another successful run in Indy and his star is rising while we're stuck with a black hole.

Arians was and is a good coach and if you can't see that, then you're just not looking (or don't want to). Arians is being praised by many and is in demand while Haley just bounces from team to team leaving disappointment and acrimony in his wake. Ben is lost right now because he doesn't just miss a good coach but he misses a good friend and good friends are hard to find.

do you charge by the hour or a flat daily rate?

My comments were more of a way of not taking the conversation seriously. I find it equally hilarious that someone rushes to be the advocate and defender of someone they don't even know.

I choose to scrutinize professional athletes and coaches that come across as big egos - both Ben and Arians have a noted reputation - maybe if they didn't feed into some things people don't like in a personality or reputation - there would be less open comments - how I view them is pretty common - and it just isn't them - it's a ton of professional athletes in all sports - their public lives are kind of one big joke for the average joe - and really, you shouldn't take it so personal and lighten up a bit

harrison'samonster
01-09-2013, 08:17 AM
We'll go to work on him, with a pair of pliers & a blowtorch.

I can't read that line without Ving Rhames' voice in my head.

teegre
01-09-2013, 08:18 AM
I can't read that line without Ving Rhames' voice in my head.

It is indeed one of those iconic moments in cinema.

steelfury02
01-09-2013, 08:21 AM
It is indeed one of those iconic moments in cinema.

Zed's dead sugar pop

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Why all the bitterness?

Ben thrived under Arians and I'll be the first to admit that BA wasn't always right and that some of the things he came up with seemed more experimental than planned, but that was his genius - the ability to think outside the box and a willingness to try different things without fear and that is something that Haley seems incapable of doing

Why all the constant criticism of Haley?

The reason Ben had a lousy end of the season was because of the injury in the KC game - Ben was having his best year until that injury - the BA hatred can be over the top but so are the knee jerk responses to any challenge to Arians

I have nothing against Arians getting a job and acknowledge he had a great year coaching a team with a bottom feeder schedule (who exactly did the Colts beat?) but regard his tenure in Pittsburgh to have been mediocre.

I know - he went to 2 Super Bowls but the defense carried those teams. Maybe I should claim credit for the success of the 2008 and 2010 teams since I watched every game and made sure to be wearing a jersey during playoff wins :noidea:

Fire Haley
01-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Ben is just rubbing it in their faces that if they had listened to him and not the fans the Rooneys wouldn't have to watch the playoffs from the stands - - like that

lloydwoodson
01-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Ben is lost right now because he doesn't just miss a good coach but he misses a good friend and good friends are hard to find.

FanSince72 are you OK? You just went off on a huge tangent not based whatsoever in fact. It's OK Ben and Bruce can still be friends. Ben is allowed to talk Bruce as much as he wants in his personal life: they can bake cookies together, hold hands or go watch Twilight movies together the sky is the limit.

Before Arians arrived in Pittsburgh the Steelers had finished 20th or worse in points scored only one time since 1990. Arians finished that poorly twice in five years. Haley is on the chopping block now because his offense is just as bad. Do you feel that the Steelers have the talent to be a top 10 offensive team and are underachieving? I sure do.

A business decision was made. Arians was fired because his offense got worse over his final four years not better. Live with it and move on. Haley will be fired at the end of next season if the offense doesn't produce. The only reason Arians stayed in Pittsburgh as long as he did was his relationship with Ben. That is a poor way to run a billion dollar business.

steelfury02
01-09-2013, 08:43 AM
FanSince72 are you OK? You just went off on a huge tangent not based whatsoever in fact. It's OK Ben and Bruce can still be friends. Ben is allowed to talk Bruce as much as he wants in his personal life: they can bake cookies together, hold hands or go watch Twilight movies together the sky is the limit.

Before Arians arrived in Pittsburgh the Steelers had finished 20th or worse in points scored only one time since 1990. Arians finished that poorly twice in five years. Haley is on the chopping block now because his offense is just as bad. Do you feel that the Steelers have the talent to be a top 10 offensive team and are underachieving? I sure do.

A business decision was made. Arians was fired because his offense got worse over his final four years not better. Live with it and move on. Haley will be fired at the end of next season if the offense doesn't produce. The only reason Arians stayed in Pittsburgh as long as he did was his relationship with Ben. That is a poor way to run a billion dollar business.

and really, I don't mean to pour on FanSince72, I really wouldn't have minded Arians staying if I saw progress - and, I did see the relationship getting in the way of what was best for the team - i wish Arians the best - but, I think it is silly how much is made of him when IMO, there isn't any proof that he is one of the big reasons why we won - in fact, I'd argue we won in spite of him because of the talent on offense and a dominant defense

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Ben is just rubbing it in their faces that if they had listened to him and not the fans the Rooneys wouldn't have to watch the playoffs from the stands - - like that

Because the high standards under which the offense perfomed under Arians would have resulted in a better record this year?:noidea: Three of the losses were directly tied to killer interceptions by #7 (Denver/Dallas/Cincy), the mediocre Haley offense put up enough points to win in the Oakland loss, and the entire team wet the bed in the San Diego debacle.

Yep - it is obvious if Arians was the OC none of that would have happened. Ben did not enjoy working under Whisenhunt and does not enjoy working under Haley - that obviously is something for which only the OCs should be blamed.

But even though he still misses his BFF, I assume even Ben is not so enraptured with BA that he believes the Rooneys canned Arians because they were being pressured by "the fans." - when you have the track record of the Ronneys over the past 40 years and a lengthy waiting list for season tickets you probably are not worried too much about pressure from the fan base.

Steeler7BR
01-09-2013, 09:00 AM

Absolutly right about that one. A Friend really? A QB needs the Offensive Coordinator as a friend?
:rofl:

Arians Offense didn't produce well enough so he had to go. Ben definitly needs a Coordinator to hold him a little bit and didn't let him do everything he wants. Should Haley give Ben a little more freedom? I think so. And I don't think the season was very good. But you can't let Haley go after just one season. In fact we did produce well till Ben got injured.

I think though Haley has to change to be productive the next season because right now I believe Ben doesn't trust in Haleys offense. They have to sit together in the summer and get things worked out.

teegre
01-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Zed's dead sugar pop

The truth is: you are the weak... and I am the tyranny of evil men.

[Not directed at you, steel fury. Just quoting.]

Fire Haley
01-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Where are the "Fire Arians" thread starters now?

Oh right - now they're all attached to Haley's ballsack and blaming Ben - hypocrites

steelfury02
01-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Absolutly right about that one. A Friend really? A QB needs the Offensive Coordinator as a friend?
:rofl:

Arians Offense didn't produce well enough so he had to go. Ben definitly needs a Coordinator to hold him a little bit and didn't let him do everything he wants. Should Haley give Ben a little more freedom? I think so. And I don't think the season was very good. But you can't let Haley go after just one season. In fact we did produce well till Ben got injured.

I think though Haley has to change to be productive the next season because right now I believe Ben doesn't trust in Haleys offense. They have to sit together in the summer and get things worked out.

it is absolutely important for Haley to work with Ben and hear what his likes/dislikes/grips are on many levels - I believe Ben should have some input into what plays should be featured

However, what I believe is good for the team, and what Ben consistently wants, is a huge difference in how you run an offense - and I believe the former is more important than what the QB wants.

People bring up Brady's supposed exorbitant input into the offense - and it is probably there more than most - but, guys like Brady and Rogers both are noted to publicly appreciate what a different voice brings to the table - and, those views are probably more in line with what a O-coordinator would want "in today's NFL"

In "today's NFL" you need a student of the game during the no-huddle, and you need someone that is going to buy into a plan of attack that releases the ball quickly, and takes what the defense gives you - not hoping on improv - and while that's something I value in Ben - I want to see more than that from him

steelfury02
01-09-2013, 09:10 AM
The truth is: you are the weak... and I am the tyranny of evil men.

[Not directed at you, steel fury. Just quoting.]

lol no prob, I got the quote

EVERYBODY STAY COOL!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Check with Hines Ward as to whether Arians was respected by everyone

Yeah, I think Max Starks said something about not practicing the running game after Arians "retired" from the Steelers.

Matt Forte would love the new offense in Chicago if things worked out. :doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2013, 09:53 AM
lol no prob, I got the quote

EVERYBODY STAY COOL!

Seriously guys.............enough with the quotes. :blah:

On another note, I am going to France and am wondering if they have Burger King there. Any idea if I can order a Whopper in france and what its called?? :wink02:

lloydwoodson
01-09-2013, 10:05 AM

On another note, I am going to France and am wondering if they have Burger King there. Any idea if I can order a Whopper in france and what its called?? :wink02:

I don't know I didn't go into Burger King.

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2013, 10:07 AM
:

Can't help you there - but if you are going to McDonald's this should help:wink02:

uYSt8K8VP6k

kan_t
01-09-2013, 10:09 AM
So a Chicago newspaper asked Ben about a Chicago Bears' potential coaching candidate which is his friend. He showed support to his friend.

Big deal.

Steeler7BR
01-09-2013, 10:13 AM

Yeah of course you can. They have much smaller food there but thats about it. I once heard their biggest sized bag of fries is about the same as our smallest. And they do understand it if you say Whopper. You don't have to talk french.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Can't help you there - but if you are going to McDonald's this should help:wink02:

uYSt8K8VP6k

Thanks!! Guess I'll have a "Royale...with cheese" then.

Arians sucks!! Like mayonaise on french fries.

pete74
01-09-2013, 11:17 AM

They have 1 burger King in the entire country. They closed them all in the late 90's

FanSince72
01-09-2013, 11:26 AM
I see I've hit a nerve. :applaudit:

Interesting...

harrison'samonster
01-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Where are the "Fire Arians" thread starters now?

Oh right - now they're all attached to Haley's ballsack and blaming Ben - hypocrites

I definitely wanted him gone. I'm glad he is gone. I don't see any reason to come on here and keep arguing why I wanted him gone.

I hope him the best. MMMM!!! that is a tasty burger!

steelfury02
01-09-2013, 01:28 PM
I don't know I didn't go into Burger King.

Don't be a []
http://mistercomfypants.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/pulp-fiction-square.jpg?w=450&h=197

steelfury02
01-09-2013, 01:30 PM
I see I've hit a nerve. :applaudit:

Interesting...

You dropped a bomb on me, FancSince, you dropped a bomb on me . . .
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/83506/The+Gap+Band.jpg

stb_steeler
01-09-2013, 01:35 PM
I heard on TV during the Ravens game they were saying Arians was ill?
Any one know what it was? I didnt catch what they said.

Steeler7BR
01-09-2013, 01:40 PM
I heard on TV during the Ravens game they were saying Arians was ill?
Any one know what it was? I didnt catch what they said.

Just a flu and I think a headache too or something.

maddog78
01-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Just a flu and I think a headache too or something.

Inner ear infection from what I heard on the radio. Released from hospital today.

steelfury02
01-09-2013, 03:17 PM
I heard it was a spray bottle in his rear

stb_steeler
01-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Prolly Tomlins voice ringing in his head...Come back, Come back! :popcorn:

tanda10506
01-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Doesn't matter who the HC is, Cutler sucks.

Damn... the Eagles, Browns, and Bears? I guess the Bears are the best option in that case. The Eagles are a locker room of egos and under performers and people should know by now that Cleveland kills coach's, so I see him taking the Bears job if any.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-09-2013, 03:37 PM
I agree that Roethlisberger's stance is ridiculous.

Ben's gushing support for Arians shows how he manipulates the media to get what he wants.

Want your BFF to get the head coaching job in Chicago? Go on and on to sportswriters about how great a guy he is.

I normally agree with your posts, but can't go along with this tirade.

So....because we did not like the offensive scheme Arians ran while he was a member of this staff-- he is not allowed to have friends or something? Friends are not allowed to put in a good word for their buddies? Professionals aare not allowed to make recommendations for other fellow professionals within the industry?

The Bears' front office is going to hire Arians just because Big Ben likes him?

Come on, man....

Cutler is a joke. He is the problem with the Bears and they just fired an excellent coach over him.

I admit I know little about the Bears, but I am not sure you can call Lovie Smith an "excellent coach". Again, I am not familiar with his entire body of work-- but, Chicago has been without an effective offense since like.....this entire decade.

They had a championship defense, that has languished under losers like Rex grossman and Jay Cutler and is now starting to age out IMHO. If they could have put together even a mediocre offense the last 8 years, they would have a ring or two.

Chicago is caving in to the demands of their "star quarterback." They brought him Mike Martz the best "down the field" coordinator in the NFL today (who has since been fired meanwhile the offense got worse), surrounded him with high draft picks and a star WR in Brandon Marshall... and their offense is terrible.

Yeah, agreed. Jay Cutler is garbage.

Fire Haley
01-09-2013, 06:31 PM
So, all the Arians haters are now Ben haters

curious

austinfrench76
01-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Yay!!!!

lloydwoodson
01-09-2013, 09:18 PM
I normally agree with your posts, but can't go along with this tirade.

So....because we did not like the offensive scheme Arians ran while he was a member of this staff-- he is not allowed to have friends or something? Friends are not allowed to put in a good word for their buddies? Professionals aare not allowed to make recommendations for other fellow professionals within the industry?

The Bears' front office is going to hire Arians just because Big Ben likes him?

Come on, man....

We can't go one week without hearing from Ben how his new coordinator runs a terrible "dink and dunk" offense that generates no big plays or how great his old coordinator used to be. It is shameful.

The point I was trying to make is that Ben knows how the media will portray his stories. His intention was to have his letter of recommendation for Arians published by sports journalists- mission accomplished.

I have already made the point that Ben is the limiting factor on how many points the Steelers score. I don't think it matters who the coordinator is. The offense will run better though if Ben and Haley can get along- and obviously a big part of that is on Haley too. Haley seems to be stifling his temper so far but he is known to be confrontational.

I just don't think it is smart to risk losing a season in the newspapers.

Gnutella
01-10-2013, 07:41 AM

Sometimes I wonder if he manipulates the media for his own entertainment. Somebody said he's passive-aggressive, well what's more passive-aggressive than deliberately saying things that you don't necessarily mean just to watch the media create another teapot tempest? What are people going to do, hate him? He probably hates a lot of people himself.

Gnutella
01-10-2013, 07:47 AM

During the Ravens/Colts playoff game, one of the announcers mentioned that Ray Lewis talks to Chuck Pagano on an almost daily basis. Using Steeler fan logic, that must mean he hates Dean Pees. :doh:

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 07:54 AM
During the Ravens/Colts playoff game, one of the announcers mentioned that Ray Lewis talks to Chuck Pagano on an almost daily basis. Using Steeler fan logic, that must mean he hates Dean Pees. :doh:

says the typical Steelers fan who calls out other Steelers fans for not agreeing with their opinion

Gnutella
01-10-2013, 08:45 AM
says the typical Steelers fan who calls out other Steelers fans for not agreeing with their opinion

No, I'm atypical. I like both Ben Roethlisberger and Todd Haley, and I forgive them both for this disappointing season. I get over a loss within an hour or two, and I start looking toward the future the moment the Steelers are eliminated from playoff contention. I reinforce my opinions with facts, and never resort to horseshit conspiracy theories to explain a football outcome that I didn't desire.

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 11:35 AM
No, I'm atypical. I like both Ben Roethlisberger and Todd Haley, and I forgive them both for this disappointing season. I get over a loss within an hour or two, and I start looking toward the future the moment the Steelers are eliminated from playoff contention. I reinforce my opinions with facts, and never resort to horseshit conspiracy theories to explain a football outcome that I didn't desire.

you also are pretty self-righteous - good for you :thumbsup:

FanSince72
01-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Prolly Tomlins voice ringing in his head...Come back, Come back! :popcorn:

:rofl: :applaudit:

FanSince72
01-11-2013, 08:48 AM
...The only reason Arians stayed in Pittsburgh as long as he did was his relationship with Ben. That is a poor way to run a billion dollar business.

Yeah I guess if wasn't for the five winning seasons and two Super Bowl appearances he'd have left long before... :doh:

lloydwoodson
01-11-2013, 10:09 AM
:doh:Yeah I guess if wasn't for the five winning seasons and two Super Bowl appearances he'd have left long before... :doh:

Arians didn't leave he was forced into retirement. Have you ever heard of an offensive coordinator being forced into retirement before? I haven't. Normally they are just fired.

What is your reason for Arians being forced into retirement and how much influence did Arians being Roethlisberger's best friend in the organization play?

Is it possible the Steelers front office anticipated Roethlisberger's anger at Arians departure and were trying to do damage control?

No that's a conspiracy theory. The Steelers forced Arians into retiring so they wouldn't hurt his feelings. :doh:

FanSince72
01-11-2013, 12:46 PM
:doh:

Arians didn't leave he was forced into retirement. Have you ever heard of an offensive coordinator being forced into retirement before? I haven't. Normally they are just fired.

What is your reason for Arians being forced into retirement and how much influence did Arians being Roethlisberger's best friend in the organization play?

Is it possible the Steelers front office anticipated Roethlisberger's anger at Arians departure and were trying to do damage control?

No that's a conspiracy theory. The Steelers forced Arians into retiring so they wouldn't hurt his feelings. :doh:

I don't believe that there is anything mysterious or conspiratorial about any of this.

I simply believe that the Rooney's screwed the pooch in firing Arians and that's basically it.

I don't know if they did it because of personality clashes, politics, or even because of the "Fire Arians" campaign that existed here.

All I know is that BA is gone, I think the team is worse off now than it was as a result and I think that was a mistake to get rid of him.

Oh, and for the "Stats Junkies" here:

Immediately following the 6 instances of my use of the pronoun: "I", the following words or phrases were used:

" believe" - 2 times
"don't know" - 1 time
"I think" - 2 times
"know" - 1 time

This should statistically prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that 83% of my comments can be classified as OPINION.

And now I'll just go back to changing the p'ups in my guitar.

Have the kind of day you deserve! :hatsoff:

lloydwoodson
01-11-2013, 01:33 PM
@ FanSince72 "I don't know" is not an opinion it is the absence of one.

Since you don't have an opinion I will disregard your comments and your condescending "Have the kind of day you deserve" remark.

Steeler7BR
01-11-2013, 01:50 PM
@FanSince72 and lloydwoodson
Man where does that heat come from. Arians isn't a Steeler anymore. He certainly didn't produce enough with the offense we had. He had enough time so he moved on. Haley didnt had a good year and he wont have much more years if we do as bad as this year especially the second part of the season. But he definitly deserve a second year as the Offensive Coordinator. Let him do his work!!!

harrison'samonster
01-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Man where does that heat come from. Arians isn't a Steeler anymore. He certainly didn't produce enough with the offense we had. He had enough time so he moved on.

exactly! Fansince72 is never going to let go of Arians, I don't get the love he has for him. Arians made some bad mistakes running this offense, we've been over it and over it on this board. He wasn't right for us, and now he's gone.

Ricco Suavez
01-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Another non-issue that fans blow out of proportion. How many days til the draft?:coffee:

lloydwoodson
01-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Another non-issue that fans blow out of proportion. How many days til the draft?:coffee:

Yeah I can't wait for the 2013 draft... so we can see the drafted players start in 2016. :coffee:

FanSince72
01-11-2013, 07:14 PM
@FanSince72 and lloydwoodson
Man where does that heat come from. Arians isn't a Steeler anymore. He certainly didn't produce enough with the offense we had. He had enough time so he moved on. Haley didnt had a good year and he wont have much more years if we do as bad as this year especially the second part of the season. But he definitly deserve a second year as the Offensive Coordinator. Let him do his work!!!

And what work would that be?

In 16 games I saw a few things here and there that might be considered as being somewhat different from before but otherwise I saw nothing particularly innovative.

And please don't pull out the "Ben was hurt" excuse.

Ben has been hurt in one way or another ever since he turned pro and the O-line has been musical chairs for years and yet the offense has never looked as rudderless as it did this year. There's a difference between "working on it" and "I've got nothing".