PDA

View Full Version : Jets to interview Omar Khan

CanuckCurtain
01-10-2013, 01:13 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/report-jets-to-interview-steelers-omar-khan-for-vacant-gm-position/

Thought this was interesting....any thoughts?

teegre
01-10-2013, 01:22 AM
I had always heard that Khan was promised the GM job for the Steelers, once Colbert retires (in a year or two).

Khan has turned down other offers. Oh man, I hope that he stays.

The more I think about it, why would he want to go the circus that is the NYJets??? I'm pretty sure he's "just" hearing out the offer... (probably, to get a little leverage with the Steelers, for a pay raise & such).

SteelersCanada
01-10-2013, 01:25 AM
Please don't leave. I'd rather have Colbert go and promote Khan than have him be in the same organization as Rex Ryan for god sake. He's gotta balance our cap situation this offseason or we're in serious shit.

OX1947
01-10-2013, 01:37 AM
My reaction if Omar signs with the Jets:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSp8h9gHvvJYFmrwZDc2uMfNjWrVFblp LtAol01tXpQBnsnIl4k23SJdpRjdQ

BKAnthem
01-10-2013, 06:29 AM
No one worth his salt would take the shit job of working for Rex Ryan, because that's what you'd be doing since you can't fire him if he sucks next year.

wwhickok
01-10-2013, 06:57 AM
Hoping he doesnt leave. Wouldnt be shocked if he does.

VaDave
01-10-2013, 07:07 AM

* ( Holding breath)

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-10-2013, 07:20 AM
He'll be back

VaDave
01-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Sure as heck hope so.....

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 08:37 AM
when it rains, it pours

we couldn't go ALL this time without some changes happening - if he leaves, so be it

I've endured a few bad seasons in a row before, I could do it again - just have to re-adjust my expectations

Steelers>NFL
01-10-2013, 08:38 AM
He'll use this interview to get a raise from the Steelers. The Jets are a big MESS right now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-10-2013, 09:52 AM
My reaction if Omar signs with the Jets:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSp8h9gHvvJYFmrwZDc2uMfNjWrVFblp LtAol01tXpQBnsnIl4k23SJdpRjdQ

Great reaction, but he is gone.

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2013, 10:02 AM
when it rains, it pours

we couldn't go ALL this time without some changes happening - if he leaves, so be it

I've endured a few bad seasons in a row before, I could do it again - just have to re-adjust my expectations

Khan is a cap wizard but kicking the can down the road to keep aging talent is not going to work for much longer

I would feel better if a good draft clearly happened. The 1998-2000 seasons were grim times but the 1998 (Faneca, Hines, Townsend) and 1999 (Porter, Aaron Smith) draft put down the foundation for later success.

tony hipchest
01-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Please don't leave. I'd rather have Colbert go and promote Khan than have him be in the same organization as Rex Ryan for god sake. He's gotta balance our cap situation this offseason or we're in serious shit.he cant replace colbert (who is one of the best in the business just like kahn is).

they do 2 completely different jobs. colbert scouts and evaluates talent. kahn pushes paper and phones and is a money man negotiator.

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Khan is a cap wizard but kicking the can down the road to keep aging talent is not going to work for much longer

I would feel better if a good draft clearly happened. The 1998-2000 seasons were grim times but the 1998 (Faneca, Hines, Townsend) and 1999 (Porter, Aaron Smith) draft put down the foundation for later success.

I agree with that - hoping we already have someone though that can contribute in a big way like those names, someone that hasn't emerged yet out of the past couple of drafts.

OX1947
01-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Great reaction, but he is gone.

http://static2.fjcdn.com/comments/I+call+bullshit+simply+because+school+districts+ma ke+that+call+_25a88e7340910f15571f9c7ffc758db1.jpg

OliverPoop
01-10-2013, 11:46 PM
he cant replace colbert (who is one of the best in the business just like kahn is).

they do 2 completely different jobs. colbert scouts and evaluates talent. kahn pushes paper and phones and is a money man negotiator.

Colbert one of the best GM's in the business? Crack pipe down please. Average at best.

tony hipchest
01-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Colbert one of the best GM's in the business? Crack pipe down please. Average at best.

care to point all the other longer tenured GMs/Director of pro personell/ Director of Operations with better track records?

maybe ozzie newsome comes close. scott piolli won 3 sb's but that was mostly luck with brady and having belichick calling the shots. patriots have been fine w/o him (mostly with free agents). pioli has sucked since.

who else? dimitrov?

former professionals and colleagues such as bill cowher, pat kirwan and gil brandt regard colbert as one of the best in the biz.

message board jockeys regard him as "average". :noidea:

teegre
01-11-2013, 12:03 AM

Scroll down eight posts, and read my response there.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95691

OliverPoop
01-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Scroll down eight posts, and read my response there.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95691

And to you I say put down the crack pipe and the bong.

Bayz101
01-11-2013, 12:12 AM

Says "Oliver Poop" with forty posts.

and a partridge and a pear tree...

steelfury02
01-11-2013, 06:59 AM
Says "Oliver Poop" with forty posts.

and a partridge and a pear tree...

really caught me off guard with that one

consider coffee officially on shirt, switching to backup :chuckle:

Hawaii 5-0
01-13-2013, 02:21 PM
‘Rebuffed’ Jets can’t give general manager job away

JANUARY 13, 2013
by ZACK KELBERMAN

The Jets have cast a wide net in their search to replace general manager Mike Tannenbaum, with the job seemingly up for grabs.

Unfortunately for Gang Green, they can’t seem to reel anyone in.

“They can’t give the position away,” FOX Sports’ Jay Glazer reported Sunday. “They are now calling back candidates that turned them down, saying please reconsider.”

Among the most reliable insiders, Glazer added that New York is getting “rebuffed a lot” due to several circumstances — Rex Ryan not included.

@JayGlazer via twitter:

Rex isn't what GM candidates are concerned with - their cap situation, personnel, QB and the circus turned a lot of candidates off

The Jets have interviewed at least 12 known candidates, including ex-Bears GM Jerry Angelo, considered a “name to watch.” But most up-and-comers, such as 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, appear to be wary of a desolate situation, and don’t watch to hitch their star to a barren wagon.

With Ryan heading into 2013 as a lame duck coach, an offense that’s devoid of talent, and a salary cap held hostage by a series of bad contracts, it’s no surprise the Jets are on Plan Z at this point.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/rebuffed_jets_cant_give_general_manager_job_away/12648811?linksrc=home_rg_head_12648811

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-13-2013, 05:46 PM
The New York Jets will hold follow-up discussions with three general manager candidates: former Chicago Bears GM Jerry Angelo, Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen and Pittsburgh Steelers director of football and business administration Omar Khan, according to sources.

More From ESPN.com
After interviewing no fewer than eight candidates for their general manager vacancy, the Jets finally are in the homestretch of the process, writes Rich Cimini. Blog

Those conversations could begin Tuesday, and the Jets hope to have a new GM by Friday, the sources said.

Angelo, who had an impressive interview, is high on the Jets' radar, sources said.

Jets assistant general manager Scott Cohen also interviewed well, according to sources.

The Jets also interviewed former Denver Broncos GM Ted Sundquist late last week, according to a league source.

Angelo, who was fired from his post in Chicago after the 2011 season, is the only known candidate with experience as a GM. He was the Bears' GM for 11 years, compiling an 87-73 record and building the team that reached Super Bowl XLI.

Khan has been Pittsburgh's chief contract negotiator for more than a decade and is known for his cap expertise.

Owner Woody Johnson confirmed last week that Rex Ryan is part of the package, meaning the next GM has to retain the coach for at least one season. Johnson said he hasn't received any negative backlash from potential candidates.

Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini and ESPN.com AFC North blogger Jamison Hensley was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8840250/new-york-jets-set-follow-gm-interviews-sources

Hawaii 5-0
01-13-2013, 06:06 PM
good, I hope the Jets hire Jerry Angelo and leave Omar Khan alone...

Fire Arians
01-13-2013, 10:14 PM
i don't think khan wants any part of that circus / train wreck that is the new york jets. i haven't seen a more poorly run organization during my time watching football maybe EVER. even worse than the bengals in the 1990's

OX1947
01-14-2013, 12:18 AM

http://funnypoopers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/check_out_that_poop__by_xneetoh-d4utoz2.jpg

That is what your opinion of Colbert's ability means in logical terms.

Colbert is UNDEFEATED in the first round. Think about that for a second. UNDEFEATED in his first round picks in his entire Steelers career. Not one bust. Every single first rounder has started for the Steelers and started multiple seasons except for the last two because they just got drafted.

Burress
Hampton
Simmons
Polamalu
Roethlisberger
Miller
Holmes
Timmons
Hood
Pouncey
Heyward
DeCastro

Colbert is one of the best, IF not the best 1st round draft pickers ever. Not even that schmuck up in New England has had even close to the success that Colbert has had. So, wake the eff up and use your brain. Colbert is a stud. The results say it, not me or anyone else, it just is.

wwhickok
01-17-2013, 07:20 PM
It sounds VERY STRONGLY as though Khan isnt going anywhere!

teegre
01-17-2013, 07:21 PM
It sounds VERY STRONGLY as though Khan isnt going anywhere!

Yeaaahhh!!!!!!!!!

pete74
01-17-2013, 07:46 PM
I hate to argue this because I love Colbert but new England has us beat. I just looked it up and there the best draft team the last 10 years . Yes even there first rounders. I belive Steelers were 9th. I give you the Steelers always hit on first rounders but overall there are a few better. Pats hav all 10 of there first rounders from 2001 uup still playing.

http://funnypoopers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/check_out_that_poop__by_xneetoh-d4utoz2.jpg

That is what your opinion of Colbert's ability means in logical terms.

Colbert is UNDEFEATED in the first round. Think about that for a second. UNDEFEATED in his first round picks in his entire Steelers career. Not one bust. Every single first rounder has started for the Steelers and started multiple seasons except for the last two because they just got drafted.

Burress
Hampton
Simmons
Polamalu
Roethlisberger
Miller
Holmes
Timmons
Hood
Pouncey
Heyward
DeCastro

Colbert is one of the best, IF not the best 1st round draft pickers ever. Not even that schmuck up in New England has had even close to the success that Colbert has had. So, wake the eff up and use your brain. Colbert is a stud. The results say it, not me or anyone else, it just is.

wwhickok
01-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Wasnt Troy Edwards a 1st Rd pick ...just sayin.

OliverPoop
01-18-2013, 01:11 AM
Surprise surprise Jets are expected to offer GM position to Idzik. Khan was never a serious candidate folks just a Rooney rule satisfying interview.

OX1947
01-18-2013, 03:00 AM
---

OX1947
01-18-2013, 03:04 AM
m,;l

GMU Steeler
01-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Wasnt Troy Edwards a 1st Rd pick ...just sayin.

I don't think Colbert was GM when he was picked if that's what you mean.