PDA

View Full Version : Rainey in Jail for Domestic Battery Charge

zshelhamer
01-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Not gonna pass judgement until the facts are out, but this is not a good way to start the offseason.

Former UF running back Chris Rainey is in the Alachua County jail for a domestic battery charge. #Gators

https://twitter.com/Gator_sports/status/289420557013897217

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-10-2013, 11:41 AM
He'll be cut soon. Smh

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Not gonna pass judgement until the facts are out, but this is not a good way to start the offseason.

Former UF running back Chris Rainey is in the Alachua County jail for a domestic battery charge. #Gators

AWESOME! He can get some advice from Debo on how to handle his bitch next time.

wwhickok
01-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Thats just great.

Twentyvalve
01-10-2013, 11:58 AM
And the fiasco starts. . . .

Darkstorm05
01-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Who's liking a 3rd round RB pick this spring?

43Hitman
01-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Police statement on Chris Rainey:

GAINESVILLE, FLA – At approximately 8:26am on January 10th, 2013, the Gainesville Police Department received a 911 call from a witness that reported a male subject and a female subject involved in a verbal altercation that turned physical.

Officers arrived and identified Christopher J. Rainey, BM 3/2/88 as the male involved. Witnesses told officers that Rainey and the victim got into an argument over Rainey’s cellphone. The female victim entered the vehicle of Rainey’s roommate, and Rainey confronted her on the passenger side of the vehicle, and began pulling her out of the vehicle. Witnesses then observed Rainey slap the victim across the face with an open hand. Both Rainey and the female victim then fell to the ground. The victim was able to run away, but Rainey chased after her because his cellphone was in a bag the victim was carrying. Rainey grabbed the bag again, and they both fell to the ground again. Neither party suffered visible injuries from the encounter. Multiple witnesses confirmed the incident.

The investigation revealed that Rainey and the female victim have been in a dating relationship for approximately nine months. Rainey was ultimately arrested by the Gainesville Police Department and charged with one count of Simple Battery (Dating Violence.) Rainey was transported to the Alachua County Jail for booking.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/gainesville-police-department/press-release-chris-rainey-arrest/477358062300460

:facepalm:

Steelerindc
01-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Just one less RB you have to worry about. Give Baron Batch some playing time and lets see what he can do.

Steel Peon
01-10-2013, 12:04 PM
I have nothing against him, but if he goes it will be good for us.

wwhickok
01-10-2013, 12:07 PM
This is really unfortunate because Rainey looked really promising but this previous draft, mid to late round is turning into a nightmare. Ta'amu was arrested, now Rainey and after then thr only key that even stuck is Paulson who looks decent so far.

I expect us to look Starks, Foote, Foster, Wallace, Mendenhall, Hamtpon, & Harrison sure among the most notable FA's. If someone for some ungodly reason offers Redman or dwyer(which one is the rfa) a contract, i expect to lose them also...now we stand a chance of going from 5 RBs to as little as 2.

maddog78
01-10-2013, 12:07 PM
And the shitty offseason is officially underway. Next up, letting all the young talent walk so we can re-sign the Over The Hill Gang for one more run.

steeltheone
01-10-2013, 12:08 PM
I have nothing against him, but if he goes it will be good for us.

Not sure losing a player is ever " good " but I don't think he is a special player. Easily replaced.

Steelers>NFL
01-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Blame it on Odumba!

harrison'samonster
01-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Not sure losing a player is ever " good " but I don't think he is a special player. Easily replaced.

completely agree. There are a lot of players who could take his place. It's not like he was going to realistically become the RB we need.

kan_t
01-10-2013, 12:16 PM
It's the second time. In 2010 he was charged with aggravated stalking for allegedly sending a threatening text message to his former girlfriend.

He should be cut.

wwhickok
01-10-2013, 12:17 PM
I agree, he should be cut.

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Must have been something pretty incriminating on that cellphone to prompt that idiocy by Rainey

wwhickok
01-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Well that makes 2me people now that won't be here mext season. I think Ta'amu is th more crucial one.

Vis
01-10-2013, 12:30 PM
He fell down twice? Drunk?

fer522
01-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Blame it on Odumba!

Really!! That's the best thing that you can come up with?!?! :doh:

TRH
01-10-2013, 12:43 PM
oh, jesus......Here we go again

I'm really getting tired of this. Other teams have their issues too, but it sure seems like we're "at the head of the class" of this kind of s**t now.

If you have an IQ above 4, how do you not know that this will be all over the media and possibly end your career with a team as well? How do you not know? Rainey? Hello?????
People are calling for him to be cut (which i don't disagree with.....for one reason, he's just too small, he's going to get broken in half next year anyway), but any ties with Ta'amu should cut as well ----what he did was 25X worse than this.
I'm just getting tired of this shit with this team.

Fire Arians
01-10-2013, 12:58 PM
re-sign mendy, at least his stupidity is isolated to twitter, which isn't criminal

StainlessStill
01-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Nice knowing you Rainman. A Orange and Black suites you better.

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 01:02 PM
re-sign mendy, at least his stupidity is isolated to twitter, which isn't criminal

your stock is rising Mendy
http://thinkingscifi.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/dr-evil.jpg

teegre
01-10-2013, 01:03 PM
It's the second time. In 2010 he was charged with aggravated stalking for allegedly sending a threatening text message to his former girlfriend.

He should be cut.

Yep.

Pouncey persuaded the Steelers to take a chance on Rainey (Rainey lived at Pouncey's house in high school).

Alas...

teegre
01-10-2013, 01:05 PM

Reminds me of when TO was tarded to Balitmore, and then he cancelled the trade, and Ray Lewis called him a "primadonna"... and TO responded with one of the GREATEST retorts of all time:
"It's not like I stabbed anyone."

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Yep.

Pouncey persuaded the Steelers to take a chance on Rainey (Rainey lived at Pouncey's house in high school).

Alas...

"I've got no place left to goooooo, and my bitch has my cell phooooooone"

Fire Haley
01-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Police report:

GAINESVILLE, FLA – At approximately 8:26am on January 10th, 2013, the Gainesville Police Department received a 911 call from a witness that reported a male subject and a female subject involved in a verbal altercation that turned physical.

Officers arrived and identified Christopher J. Rainey, BM 3/2/88 as the male involved. Witnesses told officers that Rainey and the victim got into an argument over Rainey’s cellphone. The female victim entered the vehicle of Rainey’s roommate, and Rainey confronted her on the passenger side of the vehicle, and began pulling her out of the vehicle. Witnesses then observed Rainey slap the victim across the face with an open hand. Both Rainey and the female victim then fell to the ground. The victim was able to run away, but Rainey chased after her because his cellphone was in a bag the victim was carrying. Rainey grabbed the bag again, and they both fell to the ground again. Neither party suffered visible injuries from the encounter. Multiple witnesses confirmed the incident.

-------------

so the bitch stole his cell phone, jumped in a car to get away and he stopped her

Will she be charged with theft?

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
That's an ugly incident.

Not neaarly as ugly as when Cedric Wilson beat his girlfriend up in a restaurant in front of hundreds of people, but still expect him to receive his walking papers very shortly, as well as Ta'amu, who REALLY screwed up big.

Shame-- both guys look like they could be useful guys to have around on the roster too. A tragic waste of talent.

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 01:18 PM
That's an ugly incident.

Not neaarly as ugly as when Cedric Wilson beat his girlfriend up in a restaurant in front of hundreds of people, but still expect him to receive his walking papers very shortly, as well as Ta'amu, who REALLY screwed up big.

Shame-- both guys look like they could be of use for the team.

yup - 2 draft picks down the tubes, another had to beg to be on the team, the other 1 missed the majority of the season. 1 went on an intoxicated sunday drive, and now literally hitting a woman over a cell phone. Nothing like an entire year of mishaps, misfortunes, and blunders, frustrations and overall poop-like qualities

This shit's gotta stop. We N_E_E_D young guys that know the Steeler way, at least enough to minimize their off the field crap. Too much media for the Rooneys to bail out the annual helicopter shooter anymore. Shit will stick and stink more than ever.

Now, we just need Ben to do something again. Probably done with the legal stuff - another accident perhaps?

Karma has been a mutha. Maybe all this bad shit is making Steeler Nation assume defeat, only to be rewarded with something big next season! I sure hope so!

Cripes.

Hawaii 5-0
01-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Chris Rainey arrested for battery

Updated: January 10, 2013
By Michael DiRocco | GatorNation

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Pittsburgh Steelers running back Chris Rainey was arrested Thursday morning and charged with one count of simple battery after an altercation with a woman over a cellphone.

According to a release from the Gainesville, Fla., police department, officers were called at 8:26 a.m. to an apartment complex on SW 42nd Place regarding an argument between a man and a woman that had turned physical. Witnesses said Rainey and the female accuser were arguing over Rainey's cellphone and Rainey pulled the woman out of a vehicle that belonged to his roommate and then slapped her in the face with an open hand.

Rainey and the woman fell to the ground, and then Rainey chased the woman and grabbed her bag to retrieve his cellphone, the release said. The two fell again. The release said neither Rainey nor the woman suffered visible injuries.

Police charged Rainey, a former standout at the University of Florida, with simple battery (dating violence), a first-degree misdemeanor, and he was booked into the Alachua County Jail.

Pittsburgh selected Rainey in the fifth round of the 2012 draft. Rainey ran for 102 yards and two touchdowns, caught 14 passes for 60 yards, and averaged 26.5 yards on 39 kickoff returns in his first season with the Steelers. A call to a Steelers spokesman seeking comment was not immediately returned.

It is not the first domestic violence arrest for Rainey, who just finished his rookie year with the Steelers. He was arrested Sept. 14, 2010, while at the University of Florida after sending a threatening text message to his on-again, off-again girlfriend that read: "Time to Die B----- u and ur???" Rainey was charged with felony aggravated stalking.

Then-coach Urban Meyer immediately dismissed Rainey from the team.

Thirteen days after his arrest, Rainey pled to a misdemeanor stalking charge and received deferred prosecution. He was ordered to pay $50 for the cost of prosecution, undergo evaluation and counseling for anger management/domestic violence issues, and either donate $100 to a domestic violence shelter or perform 10 hours of community service.

The charges were to be dropped if Rainey met those requirements and stayed out of trouble for six months. Spencer Mann, a spokesman for the state attorney's offense in Gainesville, said Rainey completed the agreement and the case was closed.

Rainey eventually rejoined the football team on Oct. 10, 2012. He finished his career at Florida ninth on the school's all-time rushing list (2,464 yards).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8832435/chris-rainey-pittsburgh-steelers-arrested-battery-florida

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-10-2013, 01:24 PM
This shit's gotta stop. We N_E_E_D young guys that know the Steeler way, at least enough to minimize their off the field crap. Too much media for the Rooneys to bail out the annual helicopter shooter anymore. Shit will stick and stink more than ever.

For real, man.

Losses and 8-8 seasons I can deal with-- it is part of the game. Stupid incidents like Holmes throwing a glass at some girl's face because she took his seat in the club-- not so much.

Brings up the classic debate of whether it is classier for a team to give guys with troubled pasts another chance, or knowing when to just say no to a dude with obvious black marks in his history.

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 01:29 PM
For real, man.

Losses and 8-8 seasons I can deal with-- it is part of the game. Stupid incidents like Holmes throwing a glass at some girl's face because she took his seat in the club-- not so much.

Brings up the classic debate of whether it is classier for a team to give guys with troubled pasts another chance, or knowing when to just say no to a dude with obvious black marks in his history.

always a great topic. I'll come at that from a few perspectives

A. He effed up, but didn't really bring a lot to the table this past season
B. He effed up, but was a huge asset to us this past season
C. He effed up, didn't do a whole lot, but had some flashes of what could be

Take those thoughts and factor in who we else we have at RB and what we think we can or can't accomplish with them and if we might be getting someone that pushes Rainey down the chart (if we keep 1 or 2 of the other guys), and I think you'll come out with a clear take

Me. He has potential - but, this just sealed the idea for me to take an equal chance on someone new

harrison'samonster
01-10-2013, 01:34 PM
so the bitch stole his cell phone, jumped in a car to get away and he stopped her

I know it differs from state to state, but unfortunately that's not the way the police work from what I've seen.

Apparently you're suppose to let ppl steal your stuff or ruin it, then after everything is done, you call the police for help. Police show up, treat you like a suspect, right everybody's name and soc. down, and tell you there is no proof that any crime was commited, but if you want to file charges go ahead. They also will let you know that you could sue somebody over stolen or damaged property. Pretty stupid.

Vis
01-10-2013, 01:39 PM
I know it differs from state to state, but unfortunately that's not the way the police work from what I've seen.

Apparently you're suppose to let ppl steal your stuff or ruin it, then after everything is done, you call the police for help. Police show up, treat you like a suspect, right everybody's name and soc. down, and tell you there is no proof that any crime was commited, but if you want to file charges go ahead. They also will let you know that you could sue somebody over stolen or damaged property. Pretty stupid.

He was arrested for hitting her. That's as it should be.

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 01:39 PM

i have some like that where I live - I think they'd rather enjoy their lunch and occasionally pick up the person going 10 mph over the speed limit, going down a hill, than actually spend their time on at least stopping the person that absolutely, under no circumstances, OBEYS THE YIELD SIGN.

SteelersCanada
01-10-2013, 01:45 PM
We all have to chill. Young guys make mistakes, especially in their early twenties and this is to be expected. While it's more serious than intoxicated in public, they're still younger guys. We need to get off our high-horses and stop judging these guys for not following the 'Steeler way'.

Let's give him a break is all I'm saying.

torpedoshell31
01-10-2013, 01:45 PM
It says in the report that his girl friend was able to run away from him. What does Rainey run, something like a 4.2? I say cut him and sign the girl.

Vis
01-10-2013, 01:46 PM
We all have to chill. Young guys make mistakes, especially in their early twenties and this is to be expected. While it's more serious than intoxicated in public, they're still younger guys. We need to get off our high-horses and stop judging these guys for not following the 'Steeler way'.

I guess it wasn't your daughter

harrison'samonster
01-10-2013, 01:52 PM

I would expect any daughter of mine to respect other people's property. But you're right, he got arrested for hitting her as it should be and he'll get a chance to defend himself, also as it should be.

SteelersCanada
01-10-2013, 01:53 PM

That's unfair. I'm around Rainey's age and I can tell you, college kids make stupid decisions and this is one of them. Let's keep in mind who else we have on this roster before we start pointing fingers and judging these guys.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been arrested or disciplined, but passing judgment on these guys is a little unfair too.

Vis
01-10-2013, 01:55 PM
I would expect any daughter of mine to respect other people's property. But you're right, he got arrested for hitting her as it should be and he'll get a chance to defend himself, also as it should be.

But "she deserved it" isn't a valid defense in court by his lawyer or here by anyone.

Vis
01-10-2013, 01:56 PM
That's unfair. I'm around Rainey's age and I can tell you, college kids make stupid decisions and this is one of them. Let's keep in mind who else we have on this roster before we start pointing fingers and judging these guys.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been arrested or disciplined, but passing judgment on these guys is a little unfair too.

Luckily he got caught the one and only time he used violence on a woman. Or is it twice....

Sometimes what you do tells us who you are.

wwhickok
01-10-2013, 01:57 PM
I have mixed feelings about it honestly. I like Rainey as a player. But as a person he, like all the rest of us, has flaws. Yes..perhaps he should be cut. But if he isn't I'll be alright with that. I DO think he can turn into something special within the offense or special teams.

steelax04

I've been wondering if Mendy really is as good as gone anyway. Who knows how he responded (behind closed doors) with the staff after his one-game suspension. I feel like I noticed a little more intensity on the field after it. I realize he didn't light the field on fire, but he seemed a little different on the field.

harrison'samonster
But "she deserved it" isn't a valid defense in court by his lawyer or here by anyone.

We don't know that she didn't deserve it, we weren't there. I've never hit a woman, and I don't believe a man should hit a woman, but we don't know what happened exactly. Police reports are vague and witness accounts are unreliable.

That being said, I've never said that she did deserve it.

Vis
01-10-2013, 02:02 PM
We don't know that she didn't deserve it, we weren't there. I've never hit a woman, and I don't believe a man should hit a woman, but we don't know what happened exactly. Police reports are vague and witness accounts are unreliable.

That being said, I've never said that she did deserve it.

We know she didn't deserve it. She may have deserved being dumped. She may have deserved his anger. She definitely deserved to be free from violence.

Fire Haley
01-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Vis had Ben in jail for life for raping those girls too.

Vis
01-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Vis had Ben in jail for life for raping those girls too.

Rainey has the defense that he didn't hit her. Maybe everyone is lying and he didn't do it. But you calling her a bitch doesn't make Rainey look better. It just makes you look worse.

harrison'samonster
01-10-2013, 02:11 PM
We know she didn't deserve it. She may have deserved being dumped. She may have deserved his anger. She definitely deserved to be free from violence.

Everybody deserves to be free from violence, but that's not realistic. Like I said, we weren't there and don't know what happened. I won't take police reports and eye-witness accounts as reality.

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 02:12 PM

If my daughter brought a guy home with a beard like that, my first reaction would be:

"Is this guy for real with that beard of his?" lol

in all seriousness - he'll get his day in court, and karma is a bitch

Vis
01-10-2013, 02:14 PM
If my daughter brought a guy home with a beard like that, my first reaction would be:

in all seriousness - he'll get his day in court, and karma is a bitch

He'll cop a plea and issue an official apology written by his agent.

harrison'samonster
01-10-2013, 02:16 PM
He'll cop a plea and issue an official apology written by his agent.

the best justice system money can buy!

Fire Haley
01-10-2013, 02:17 PM
It just makes you look worse.

ha ha - you are all my bitches

I know you read every word I say - you can't help yourself!

Vis
01-10-2013, 02:18 PM
ha ha - you are all my bitches

I know you read every word I say - you can't help yourself!

I have your 1983 Manifesto on my wall

Hawaii 5-0
01-10-2013, 02:23 PM

if my daughter brought a guy home with a beard like that and he was a player for the Pittsburgh Steelers, my first reaction would be:

"wow, that's a really nice beard he has"...:wink02:

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 02:25 PM
if my daughter brought a guy home with a beard like that and he was a player for the Pittsburgh Steelers, my first reaction would be:

"wow, that's a really nice beard he has"...:wink02:

hahahaha - ok, if we're going that route - then yes, "My daughter is dating a Pittsburgh Steeler"

that only enchants me up until the point she gets slapped

then, his pocket book enchants me:chuckle:

Fire Haley
01-10-2013, 02:26 PM
I have your 1983 Manifesto on my wall

that was a bad year - when I first stuck my dick in crazy, but it wasn't the last time, unfortunately

I could teach Rainey a lot

GoFor7
01-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette

#steelers waive Chris Rainey

Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette

RT “@steelers: GM Colbert “Under the circumstances and due to this conduct, Chris will no longer be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers.””

Sounds like the Steelers are trying to send a message to the rest of their young punks. I wonder if Dan Rooney has something to do with this now that he's back.

PhantomJB93
01-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Steelers just cut him. To be honest I'm surprised we didn't cut Ta'amu but were so fast to cut Rainey.

harrison'samonster
01-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Steelers just cut him. To be honest I'm surprised we didn't cut Ta'amu but were so fast to cut Rainey.

might be an indication of their plans for Ta'amu. I'm surprised they've dropped him so quickly!

Fire Haley
01-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Our drunken rookie NT has a higher upside

SteelersCanada
01-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Fuck me, really? Thanks, Dan. Thanks for bringing us back to the 1920's when you were in your prime, buddy. So, it's perfectly fine with keeping an accused rapist on the roster if he's our franchise quarterback? Oh, it's also ok to keep around a Defensive Tackle after he drove drunk, trashed multiple cars - including his own - and tried to flee from police. Aren't we glad that Dan Rooney is back?

What a great way to upset your starting Center, too. It's not like he's the best offensive linemen we have or anything. Oh, wait a sec ...

Vis
01-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Fuck me, really? Thanks, Dan. Thanks for bringing us back to the 1920's when you were in your prime, buddy. So, it's perfectly fine with keeping an accused rapist on the roster if he's our franchise quarterback? Oh, it's also ok to keep around a Defensive Tackle after he drove drunk, trashed multiple cars - including his own - and tried to flee from police. Aren't we glad that Dan Rooney is back?

What a great way to upset your starting Center, too. It's not like he's the best offensive linemen we have or anything. Oh, wait a sec ...

Wow. Please tell me I missed the sarcasm tag

harrison'samonster
01-10-2013, 02:36 PM
yeah Rooney didn't cause this problem, he's just dealing with it.

StainlessStill
01-10-2013, 02:36 PM

Try to be extra obnoxious next time.:tt04:

Fire Haley
01-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Ben says he's glad he isn't a RB/KR

TRH
01-10-2013, 02:37 PM

Well - in reality Ben was accused - and accused only - not to mention by a complete psycho & liar (and thats just from the people she knows)
Ta'amu actually DID the crime , er make that multiple, multiple crimes, and apparently Rainey was caught in the act too. Whether the girl took his phone or was being a complete bitch, or whatever - YOU....CANNOT.....LAY.....YOUR....HANDS.....ON...A .....WOMAN. You will be the one who goes to jail. Doesn't matter what state you're in.

43Hitman
01-10-2013, 02:38 PM
He's been cut

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert “Under the circumstances and due to this conduct, Chris will no longer be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers.”

https://twitter.com/steelers

Blackout
01-10-2013, 02:39 PM

http://i.imgur.com/QkGDG.jpg

"Wow!"

steeltheone
01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Sounds like the Steelers are trying to send a message to the rest of their young punks. I wonder if Dan Rooney has something to do with this now that he's back.

:applaudit:

maddog78
01-10-2013, 02:43 PM
:applaudit:

The Steeler Way is clear: screw up off the field, and you're gone.

Unless we really need you, in which case we got your back.

StainlessStill
01-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Ben says he's glad he isn't a RB/KR

There was nothing on Ben. No witness's, no evidence, no nothing. Just accusations of woman destroyed under the influence. Rainey flat out slapped a bitch. Instant termination.

Blackout
01-10-2013, 02:45 PM
He will be a Cardinal soon.

SteelersCanada
01-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Well - in reality Ben was accused - and accused only - not to mention by a complete psycho & liar (and thats just from the people she knows)
Ta'amu actually DID the crime , er make that multiple, multiple crimes, and apparently Rainey was caught in the act too. Whether the girl took his phone or was being a complete bitch, or whatever - YOU....CANNOT.....LAY.....YOUR....HANDS.....ON...A .....WOMAN. You will be the one who goes to jail. Doesn't matter what state you're in.

Was I being over the line by trashing Rooney here? Probably. It's also completely ridiculous that we have a 'no tolerance' policy for young guys but are able to turn a blind eye to Ben's mistakes and prior mishaps. I'm not being sarcastic and I'm not looking for a laugh - I can guarantee you this was Dan's work to try and uphold the 'Steeler image' which, at this point, is complete bullshit. We're acting like Chris torched down an orphanage and then shit in the ashes.

What he did was unacceptable and inexcusable and he deserves to be punished. Cutting him to uphold the image of our team (the fuck is the image of our team right now anyway?) is ridiculous. We've just made another team stronger (Patriots, probably) with a KR/PR/Scatback asset because we're all on high-horses.

steelax04
01-10-2013, 02:46 PM

I'm sure they thought long and hard about how Pouncey would feel about cutting Rainey... :doh:

teegre
01-10-2013, 02:47 PM
What's the big deal?
Sincerely,
OJ Simpson & Rae Carruth

TRH
01-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Wow. That was swift & fast. Rainey might have just ruined an NFL football career.

Wonder why the same swift action was never applied with Ta'amu. He did much worse.

SteelersCanada
01-10-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm sure they thought long and hard about how Pouncey would feel about cutting Rainey... :doh:

Pouncey and Rainey are longtime and really close friends. They've known each other since high school and Rainey used to live with the Pouncey family. I'm willing to bet that, yes, Pouncey is going to be upset that Rainey was released.

teegre
01-10-2013, 02:50 PM
All joking aside, I read an ESPN article about ten years ago, about how the Steelers were the best at drafting, because they were not afriad of taking certain players OFF of their draft boards.

--players with convictions
--players who routinely got suspended
--injured players

Ta'amu... there was NO previous idicators. But, with Rainey, there certainly was.

I guess that this answers the "Will Alec Ogletree be a Steeler?" question.

Hawaii 5-0
01-10-2013, 02:51 PM
All joking aside, I read an ESPN article about ten years ago, about how the Steelers were the best at drafting, because they were not afriad of taking certain players OFF of their draft boards.

--players with convictions
--players who routinely got suspended
--injured players

Ta'amu... there was NO previous idicators. But, with Rainey, there certainly was.

yes there was.

Ta'amu had a prior DUI conviction.

teegre
01-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Pouncey and Rainey are longtime and really close friends. They've known each other since high school and Rainey used to live with the Pouncey family. I'm willing to bet that, yes, Pouncey is going to be upset that Rainey was released.

I think it might be more of a reaction of embarrassment by Pouncey. He vouched for Rainey... and then... this occurs.

I know that Pouncey will feel sorry for his long-time friend, but I am also sure that a part of him realizes that he stuck up for his freind & that his friend let him down.

Make sense?

teegre
01-10-2013, 02:53 PM
yes there was.

Ta'amu had a prior DUI conviction.

I did not know that.

Wow!!! In that case, what was Colbert thinking???

BKAnthem
01-10-2013, 02:55 PM
He's a dumbass who didn't learn from past mistakes...good riddance

Vis
01-10-2013, 02:57 PM

I think he'd be upset that his friend, for whom he went to bat with the organization, fucked it all up. This is all on Rainey.

Hawaii 5-0
01-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Steelers waive rookie Rainey after arrest

January 10, 2013
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/9/902/chris-rainey-file_420.jpg

The Steelers waived rookie halfback Chris Rainey after he was arrested this morning in Gainesville, Fla., and charged with simple battery after being accused of slapping his girlfriend in the face.

"Chris Rainey's actions this morning were extremely disappointing," team general manager Kevin Colbert said in a release.

"Under the circumstances and due to this conduct, Chris will no longer be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Rainey, a fifth-round draft pick by the Steelers in 2012 from the University of Florida, was lodged in the Alachua County Jail for booking, according to a press release issued by the Gainesville Police Department.

Gainesville police spokesman Officer Ben Tobias said this afternoon that Mr. Rainey will remain in the county jail until he has a hearing before a judge Friday morning.

The hearing from the jail via video camera with a judge at the county courthouse will be at 9 a.m. Friday morning, when a bond may be set for him to pay to allow his release from custody.

Mr. Rainey has to stay in jail until Friday morning because he was processed too late to attend a hearing Thursday morning, Mr. Tobias said.

According to that press release, police received a 911 call at 8:26 a.m. that reported a man and woman were arguing and it turned physical.

Officers arrived and identified the man as Rainey, 24.

Witnesses told the officers that the two argued over a cellphone and that the woman entered a vehicle of Rainey's roommate.

Rainey confronted her, began pulling her out of the vehicle and then slapped her with an open hand, police said.

Rainey and the woman fell to the ground, according to the release.

She ran away and Rainey chased her because, police said, his cellphone was in a bag the woman was carrying. Rainey grabbed the bag and both fell down.

According to police, neither Rainey nor his girlfriend suffered visible injuries. Police said they had multiple witnesses.

The press release states the two have been dating for nine months.

Rainey was arrested and accused of a felony stalking charge in Florida in 2010 over a threatening text he sent to a woman that said, "Time to die."

That charge was later reduced to a misdemeanor and he was ordered to perform community service and attend anger management classes.

And in December, Rainey was cited for defiant trespass, a summary offense, when he entered the Meadows Racetrack and Casino outside Washington, Pa., after he had signed himself onto a self-exclusion list,
according to the Magisterial District Judge Jay Weller's office. Notice of a $300 fine recently had been mailed to him.

According to the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board, self-exclusion "allows a person to request to be banned from all legalized gaming activities and to be prohibited from collecting any winnings, recovering any losses or accepting complimentary gifts or services or any other thing of value at any licensed facility."

If someone on the list steps onto the gaming floor, the facility must deny wagers and ask the person to leave, at which point the person may be arrested for trespass.

Rainey played in all 16 games for the Steelers as a rookie and led them with 1,035 yards on 39 kickoff returns. He had 102 yards rushing on 26 carries with two touchdowns, and 14 receptions for 60 yards.

The Steelers did not have an immediate comment, and Rainey's attorney, Huntley Johnson, in Gainesville, would not comment.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-rookie-charged-with-simple-battery-in-florida-669866/#ixzz2HbXXpq4t

truesteelerfan
01-10-2013, 03:05 PM
very disappointing....

Hawaii 5-0
01-10-2013, 03:07 PM
I did not know that.

Wow!!! In that case, what was Colbert thinking???

DUI charge was second for Steelers' Ta'amu

October 16, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/289/728/alameda-taamu_420.jpg

Teammates of Steelers rookie nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu, facing multiple felony and misdemeanor counts after a police chase early Sunday morning, said it is important to support him and help him, even though they acknowledged what he is charged with doing was wrong.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the case is being reviewed "under the appropriate league policies," but indicated any action in terms of discipline would have to come from the Steelers. Records obtained by the Post-Gazette show that this was not the first time Ta'amu has been charged with driving under the influence.

Ta'amu's attorney, Robert Del Greco, said a preliminary hearing has been set for 8 a.m. Oct. 23. Ta'amu was released from jail Sunday on $25,000 bail.

"You don't stand by in the sense of making him feel this is right," said safety Ryan Clark, the team's player representative. "You don't 'amen' this in that it's OK to do. But you don't throw him away, you don't exile him from the team, you don't stop talking to him, you don't stop being his friend.

"If you're family, you don't do that. When someone in your family makes a mistake, you try your best to work through it with him, not make him go through it by himself."

It was not known what immediate disciplinary action the Steelers will take with Ta'amu, a fourth-round draft choice from Washington.

He faces felony counts of fleeing police and aggravated assault while driving drunk; and three counts of aggravated assault for nearly running down police officers with his vehicle. He also is charged with 10 misdemeanors, including resisting arrest and attempting escape. Police said he crashed his 2006 Lincoln Navigator into several vehicles while fleeing them on the South Side.

Court records show that Ta'amu also was charged with driving under the influence in October 2011 for an incident that occurred Dec. 12, 2009, when Ta'amu was playing for the University of Washington. Trooper Joe Gannon of the Washington State Patrol wrote in a report that he stopped Ta'amu for driving 73 mph in a 60 mph zone on Interstate 5 about 3:40 a.m. and "smelled an odor of alcohol coming from him and ... observed his blood-shot watery eyes."

Police said Ta'amu, who was 19 at the time, blew a 0.097 and 0.098 on breath tests and told them he drank six Budweisers in three hours before he attempted to drive home in a 1993 Chevrolet Suburban. Prosecutors initially charged him with driving under the influence, but he instead later pleaded guilty to negligent driving, for which he was sentenced to one day in a community-work program and ordered to pay a $350 fine.

When former wide receiver Santonio Holmes was charged on a misdemeanor count of marijuana possession Oct. 25, 2008, coach Mike Tomlin did not let him practice the rest of the week and held him out of a game against the New York Giants.

At the time, Tomlin said Holmes was being deactivated for the game because his situation had created "a distraction" for the team. Tomlin's decision was never termed a suspension, and it was not known if Holmes lost one week's salary.

Typically, the league lets the involved team handle disciplinary measures for offending players.

If, however, the league does not think the punishment is severe enough, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell can increase the penalty for the player and also fine or discipline the team.

"It's up to the league and the team's job to figure out the consequences of what he did, but it's our job to love him up and let him know what he did was wrong but that we're still here for him," said nose tackle Casey Hampton, Ta'amu's idol and mentor.

The NFL Players Association provides a program called "Safe Rides" in which players can call for a ride home if they feel as though they are unable to drive.

The program is run by a private investigation firm and is available to players anywhere in the United States and Canada. Players also pay $85 per hour for the service, which has its phone number on the back of every union card.

It is believed the Steelers have some type of similar arrangement for its players, as well."It's a sad deal," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "He's a talented young kid who made a mistake, a serious mistake. He's under a lot of heat right now, and rightfully so. We're going to love him and, hopefully, he can learn from these mistakes.

"Ta'amu, who is of Samoan descent, is known among his teammates as a polite, quiet and easy-going player who is quick to smile and pleasant to be around.Clark said he and Troy Polamalu went to the movies with Ta'amu at training camp and often ate with him."That's what bothers me and hurts me," Hampton said. "I know he's a good guy, but what he did was serious, dude, and you can't take anything away from that and I'll definitely let him know that. You got to let him know the severity of it, but, at the same time, you got to try to pull him back in and bring him back in and let him know we're here for him."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-players-acknowledge-taamus-mistake-657709/#ixzz2HbZghIcO

TRH
01-10-2013, 03:13 PM
maybe not so surprising - Pittsburgh Steelers have been voted as the football franchise with the largest female fanbase.
This type of action was was surely not going to be popular with that base - if the Steelers didn't make a move, the shit would have hit the fan. Steelers went ahead and struck first.

Hawaii 5-0
01-10-2013, 03:15 PM
maybe not so surprising - Pittsburgh Steelers have been voted as the football franchise with the largest female fanbase.
This type of action was was surely not going to be popular with that base - if the Steelers didn't make a move, the shit would have hit the fan. Steelers went ahead and struck first.

great point!

Vis
01-10-2013, 03:17 PM

That's due to the Men of SF calendar

teegre
01-10-2013, 03:19 PM

I think that ALL teams & their fans look down on abuse...
...but for some reason, DUIs are overlooked.

TRH
01-10-2013, 03:25 PM

yeah, Rainey "slaps" a woman and no one's even injured. Immediately gets released.

Ta'amu is insanely drunk, driving an SUV thats like a missile to kill, hits all kinds of parked cars, injures a woman (did you see her face ....wow), then flees, then resists officers - all the while he could have been shot, really. And not even his first offense btw.

Yet....
He wasn't immediately let go. WTF. :rolleyes:

Maybe Rooney is finally putting his foot down - all the way down - after the Ta'amu incident

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2013, 03:28 PM

He "stopped her" and then assaulted her - IMO there was more to this early morning tussle than pilfering her cellphone - maybe breakfast chit-chat did not go well?

k4R5wZs8cxI

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2013, 03:32 PM

Because football fans like to drink and beer companies pay big $$ to sponsor the NFL?

wwhickok
01-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Already cut. He'll be signed by another team in no time after/if he is released

wwhickok
01-10-2013, 03:34 PM
I will say this as others have suggested. Idc how hood Ta'amu is, he needs to be cut too.

Hawaii 5-0
01-10-2013, 03:36 PM
I will say this as others have suggested. Idc how hood Ta'amu is, he needs to be cut too.

I agree, seems like a real double standard to me otherwise...

pete74
01-10-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm shocked they cut him less then 24 hours after the alleged incident. I'm surprised they didn't wait for all the factd

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 04:11 PM
i'm sure the billionaire Rooney's that run the winningest franchise in modern football, the most popular sport in America, really give a shit about what their center wants. If they can move on from the 70s dynasty players, and they can move on from Bill Cowher's days, they'll be over what Pouncey wants.

Players come and go, the Steelers will win consistently over time no matter what.

Hawaii 5-0
01-10-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm shocked they cut him less then 24 hours after the alleged incident. I'm surprised they didn't wait for all the factd

there were reportedly quite a few witnesses and most likely an admission by Rainey...

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 04:25 PM
there were reportedly quite a few witnesses and most likely an admission by Rainey...

I'm sure it was well worth it. What, is there some idiot factory that keeps popping this dumb-asses out!?

"Brain not included"

TRH
01-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Already cut. He'll be signed by another team in no time after/if he is released

not necessarily. Rainey already scares teams with his teeny size and the threat of him literally being broken in half each time he's hit. The threat of injury is large.
And thats without this incident now hanging over him.

Ricco Suavez
01-10-2013, 04:44 PM
I am willing to take heat on this so here goes. If this was a proven star this would not have been dealt with in such swift fashion. I am sure the FO weighed his past seasons contribution and this incident (a simple assault, more than likely probation even in light of a previous incident) along with his past and decided to part ways and get out of a contract that they are having second thoughts about. I for one would not be surprised if they do not bring him back later at a lesser contract if he clears waivers. Business is business.

VictoryFormation
01-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Rainey is a versatile back, which is why the Steelers drafted him. He can catch passes out of the backfield, and he's quick. As he developed he could have been very productive as a catch-and-run back in the Todd Haley offense. Some team will get a fairly talented running back for free. It's a shame he won't get the opportunity to wear the Steeler striped throwback uniform anymore. It seemed to suit him pretty well..

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b26169e2013487536e1a970c-450wi

harrison'samonster
01-10-2013, 04:49 PM
I am willing to take heat on this so here goes. If this was a proven star this would not have been dealt with in such swift fashion. I am sure the FO weighed his past seasons contribution and this incident (a simple assault, more than likely probation even in light of a previous incident) along with his past and decided to part ways and get out of a contract that they are having second thoughts about. I for one would not be surprised if they do not bring him back later at a lesser contract if he clears waivers. Business is business.

those are very good points. I never really considered that we'd see him back as a steelers. But as you say, business is business, and the Steelers do what they can to sell tickets and keep winning.

fer522
01-10-2013, 05:10 PM

Last time I checked the Rooneys signed his check not Pouncey

Fire Haley
01-10-2013, 05:13 PM

He looks innocent to me...a good counselor could get him off

fer522
01-10-2013, 05:25 PM

Is that our 2013 throwback jersey

Hawaii 5-0
01-10-2013, 05:31 PM

not sure which of these two pics Rainey looks worse in...:noidea:

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Chris+Rainey+Washington+Redskins+v+Pittsburgh+ySrR xFsisspl.jpg

fer522
01-10-2013, 05:34 PM
He defenitly looks better in green:doh:

DanRooney
01-10-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm going off on a limb and saying this team isn't respecting anyone in the organization. I'm pointing fingers at Tomlin.

Since he's been our coach, we have had issues with a plethora of players in the offseason. I miss it way back when we were awfully quiet during this time.

Hawaii 5-0
01-10-2013, 05:49 PM
and to think, the Redskins selected Alfred Morris only 14 picks after we chose Chris Rainey.

Alfred Morris carried the ball 335 times for 1613 yards (4.8 yd/avg) and 13 TDs...:banging:

DanRooney
01-10-2013, 05:53 PM
and to think, the Redskins selected Alfred Morris only 14 picks after we chose Chris Rainey.

Alfred Morris carried the ball 335 times for 1613 yards (4.8 yd/avg) and 13 TDs...:banging:

Shannahan's zone blocking scheme can turn average RBs into beasts.

teegre
01-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Because football fans like to drink and beer companies pay big $$ to sponsor the NFL?

Exactamundo!!!

SteelersCanada
01-10-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm going off on a limb and saying this team isn't respecting anyone in the organization. I'm pointing fingers at Tomlin.

Since he's been our coach, we have had issues with a plethora of players in the offseason. I miss it way back when we were awfully quiet during this time.

Man, can you believe how Tomlin handled the Ernie Holmes situation? I heard he practically handed Ernie the gun and told him to shoot up that chopper. Man, how dare Tomlin! Ya know, back in '74.

Or, how Tomlin sent Ben into that washroom and 'allegedly' raped that girl? I head Tomlin was behind that too! Both times!

I also heard he gave Ward the booze that got him drunk and forced him to drive under the influence.

There's more examples, but I feel like I got my point across. Players have to take accountability and blaming the coach for players' off-field antics is absolutely ridiculous. People are looking for any reason to be frustrated right now and of course, they relate this back to Tomlin and his 'buddy-buddy' and 'undisciplined' style of coaching.

Gnutella
01-10-2013, 07:23 PM
So the fourth-string RB got cut after his third run-in with the law in two-and-a-half years? Pardon me while I don't lose any sleep over this.

Hawaii 5-0
01-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Shannahan's zone blocking scheme can turn average RBs into beasts.

wonder why more NFL teams don't try to copy that zone blocking scheme? :noidea:

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2013, 07:47 PM

Rainey was a thug long before Tomlin started coaching him up - at least give the Steelers credit for pulling the plug - when Rainey threatened a former girlfriend he was off the Florida Gators in September 2010 and Urban Meyer reinstated him the next month

Unless Tomlin is running the draft on his own there are others who knew the chance they were taking - the Steelers have been drafting thugs since at least Santonio Holmes, so if you want to place blame consider looking to Colbert or higher up the chain of command

OX1947
01-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Man, can you believe how Tomlin handled the Ernie Holmes situation? I heard he practically handed Ernie the gun and told him to shoot up that chopper. Man, how dare Tomlin! Ya know, back in '74.

Or, how Tomlin sent Ben into that washroom and 'allegedly' raped that girl? I head Tomlin was behind that too! Both times!

I also heard he gave Ward the booze that got him drunk and forced him to drive under the influence.

There's more examples, but I feel like I got my point across. Players have to take accountability and blaming the coach for players' off-field antics is absolutely ridiculous. People are looking for any reason to be frustrated right now and of course, they relate this back to Tomlin and his 'buddy-buddy' and 'undisciplined' style of coaching.

I heard Tomlin padded everyone of those guys on the rear and told them, "get'em next time". As far as Ernie Holmes, I heard Tomlin went to Ernie's grave and put flowers on it and told his spirit, "good job getting to the CHOPPA".

teegre
01-10-2013, 09:36 PM

Remember that time when Tomlin invaded Poland?

That almost as bad as a few years later, when he sunk the USS West Virginia.

austinfrench76
01-10-2013, 11:34 PM
I agree with anyone saying this is hypocritical. How the F is Ta'amu still on this team?!?! It's like the Holmes/Ben situation IMO. They couldn't dump Ben so they get rid of Holmes to "prove" they aren't going to tolerate these types of incidents. Very hypocritical and I love the Steelers but it just smells awful. Be consistent!!! Rainey can rot in prison for all I care but this doesn't send a message other than confusion as to what is tolerated.

Lady Steel
01-11-2013, 12:02 AM

I'm not going to give him a break. It is not okay to hit a woman, no matter what age a man is. Men know this, even those in their 20's. It's also not okay to mess with her purse without permission. I never touch a man's wallet without permission. I carry a ton of stuff in my purse and it's heavy. If a guy tried to take my purse, I would cause him great harm with it.

It's not okay if his girlfriend took his cell phone without permission either, but I don't know the circumstances on how or why she had it, so I can't really speak to that issue, but it still doesn't warrant Rainey hitting her.

Glad he was cut. Good riddance. :wave:

Ta'amu can hit the road, too, as far as I'm concerned.

Hawaii 5-0
01-11-2013, 12:32 AM
I'm not going to give him a break. It is not okay to hit a woman, no matter what age a man is. Men know this, even those in their 20's. It's also not okay to mess with her purse without permission. I never touch a man's wallet without permission. I carry a ton of stuff in my purse and it's heavy. If a guy tried to take my purse, I would cause him great harm with it.

It's not okay if his girlfriend took his cell phone without permission either, but I don't know the circumstances on how or why she had it, so I can't really speak to that issue, but it still doesn't warrant Rainey hitting her.

personally, I couldn't agree more...

Steel_Bus_24
01-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Good lord

Was that disaster of a finish to the season not punishment enough.....man Im freaking tired of the constant stream of sh** news/performance

FO, you wanna cut him, fine send your message, but don't undermine that message with inconsistency....Why the hell is Ta' amu still on the team then

Its the same type of sh**GODell tries to do with his "rules"......picking and choosing when to enforce things.Everybody can see the BS and hypocrisy

ricardisimo
01-11-2013, 12:49 AM

And I think the Steelers are eager to try to right their ship after the Harrison and Ben incidents on - for lack of a better term - gender issues. As well they should, by the way. Their star lost a LOT of luster over those two incidents.

As far as Ta'amu, I know this sounds ridiculous, but you're really not supposed to fire someone for being a drunk. It might be a state-by-state thing, so I don't know if this applies in PA, but alcoholism is considered an illness. If he had an epileptic fit while driving, or went into a diabetic seizure on the highway, we certainly wouldn't be having this discussion now.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, just that the legalities in Ta'amu's case are probably a lot more complicated than you think.

Hawaii 5-0
01-11-2013, 01:16 AM
He "stopped her" and then assaulted her - IMO there was more to this early morning tussle than pilfering her cellphone

I wonder if Rainey merely fumbled his phone and his gf was just getting it for him?

lloydwoodson
01-11-2013, 03:12 AM
The Steelers show about as much consistency in their discipline as Roger Goodell. Too bad for Rainey the RB position is crowded if he was a QB or NT he would still be on the team.

I personally don't care if a player has a fight with their girlfriend. It is none of my business. James Harrison's girlfriend stayed with him after he slapped her with an open hand. If the woman who was assaulted is not willing to part ways with a player then why are the Steelers? Some couples fight more than others and it is a shame that their fights could affect their livelihood.

Bottom line is the whole situation reeks with hypocrisy.

Rick5895
01-11-2013, 05:14 AM

Very well said!!

steelfury02
01-11-2013, 05:56 AM
I'd now rather take a chance on someone unproven over Rainey - not much difference in the two

Vis
01-11-2013, 06:39 AM
I agree with anyone saying this is hypocritical. How the F is Ta'amu still on this team?!?! It's like the Holmes/Ben situation IMO. They couldn't dump Ben so they get rid of Holmes to "prove" they aren't going to tolerate these types of incidents. Very hypocritical and I love the Steelers but it just smells awful. Be consistent!!! Rainey can rot in prison for all I care but this doesn't send a message other than confusion as to what is tolerated.

Are you suggesting they should tolerate what Rainey did in the interest of avoiding confusion?

Vis
01-11-2013, 06:41 AM
I wonder if Rainey merely fumbled his phone and his gf was just getting it for him?

She was trying to delete the naked pictures after he sent them to the whole team.

as long as we're speculating

SteelCityMom
01-11-2013, 09:13 AM

Technology and less of a "good 'ol boys" mentality is the reason you hear about these issues more nowadays than before. Back in the day, you had to do something pretty outrageous to make a major headline (Holmes)...doesn't mean that players weren't doing the same kind of shit back then (drunk driving, drugs, sexual assaults, batteries, etc.).

SteelCityMom
01-11-2013, 09:19 AM

Completely agree...though I agree as well that people do stupid things when they're young (and old too). It's not ok what he did, and I don't disagree with the Steelers decision, but I'm not going to completely judge him on one incident. If she took his phone, it certainly would have been better if he had found a way to contact the police and he could have possibly pressed charges on her for theft. Some people don't think rationally in the heat of the moment though. Hope he learns his lessons, and I hope he has someone in his life that can set him straight.

SteelCityMom
01-11-2013, 10:19 AM
I didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if someone posted this already...

Apparently, this isn't his first, or second, legal issue as a Steeler. This was probably the straw that broke the camels back for the Steelers.

Chris Rainey had two run-ins with the law during his rookie season
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 11, 2013, 9:12 AM EST

Chris Rainey, the 2012 fifth-round draft pick who was sent packing by the Steelers after he was arrested on Thursday and accused of slapping his girlfriend, had two previously unreported run-ins with the law during his rookie season in Pittsburgh.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Rainey was ticketed in September for driving on a suspended license, and in October he received a citation for “defiant trespass” at a racetrack casino.

When the Steelers announced on Thursday that they are cutting Rainey, they mentioned only his arrest on Thursday. But it may be that the Steelers decided to cut him not simply because of that incident, but because they viewed it as the last straw in a string of incidents. Rainey was already viewed as a character risk heading into the 2012 draft because of his history at Florida, where he was arrested for stalking an ex-girlfriend.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/11/chris-rainey-had-two-run-ins-with-the-law-during-his-rookie-season/

Rainey was charged in 2010 with felony stalking for sending a threatening text to his then-girlfriend that said, "Time to die."

That charge was later reduced to a misdemeanor, and he was ordered to perform community service and attend anger-management classes, which he completed.

The incident occurred a day after Florida's coach at the time, Urban Meyer, said Rainey had sustained a concussion in a game the previous weekend, and even Rainey's girlfriend then believed the head injury had changed his personality, texting him at one point during their altercation: "U have a concussion chris. Ur acting ridiculous."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-cut-rainey-after-fla-incident-669986/#ixzz2HgVU1apA

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-11-2013, 10:38 AM
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Rainey was ticketed in September for driving on a suspended license, and in October he received a citation for “defiant trespass” at a racetrack casino.

Rainey was charged in 2010 with felony stalking for sending a threatening text to his then-girlfriend that said, "Time to die."

Yep, he sounds like a real piece of work, this one. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Now Rainey can devote all of his time to being a gangster rapper.

Isn't he another one of Pouncey's "crew"?

nj1923steelgirl
01-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Concussions can screw you up...but you do not hit a woman...sorry....let another team take this on....

lloydwoodson
01-11-2013, 10:58 AM
I want Chris Rainey back he is a good return man.

Steeler7BR
01-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Concussions can screw you up...but you do not hit a woman...sorry....let another team take this on....

Thing is he is a good special teams player. And if Wallace leaves it would be Antonio returning kicks as our #1 WR! Even as our #2 it is not that ideal.

Don't know what is real about the whole story but I would give him the chance to come back.

Vis
01-11-2013, 11:33 AM
I want Chris Rainey back he is a good return man.

Are you from Cincinnati?

steeltheone
01-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Thing is he is a good special teams player. And if Wallace leaves it would be Antonio returning kicks as our #1 WR! Even as our #2 it is not that ideal.

Don't know what is real about the whole story but I would give him the chance to come back.

He is not anything worth sweating over...bye bye thug

TRH
01-11-2013, 12:22 PM

There's dozens and dozens of these kinds of players. He's good, but not "Josh Cribbs" kind of good. Easily replaceable.

SteelersCanada
01-11-2013, 01:50 PM

I'm not condoning violence against women or saying he didn't make a mistake. He deserved to be punished, though whether or not to this severity can be debated for another time.

My point is, there's a double standard here on the Steelers and the NFL. Harrison was accused of domestic violence back in '08, but because we can't replace him, he stayed on the roster. The mantra the Steelers have of 'we don't tolerate this kind of stuff' is a facade. They don't tolerate it from guys they see are expendable and non-assets.

People are willing to turn a blind eye when our contributors and often times, stars are facing accusations and/or charges because they're the best on the team and can't replace these guys. It's almost an insult to our intelligence that the Rooney's have this mantra in the organization and pretend as if they enforce it to the tee when in reality, if they can be replaced, they get punished severely. This explains why Ta'amu is still on our practice squad - the Steelers essentially gave up another prospect when they traded for him and they see him as a future contributor, thus he gets a get out of jail free card.

SteelersCanada
01-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Rainey's attorney: Victim insists no crime took place

The alleged victim in the domestic violence episode involving former University of Florida athlete Christopher Rainey says there was no crime and she wants the state of Florida to drop the charges, Rainey's attorney says.

Rainey, 24, was arrested and charged Thursday morning with simple domestic battery, a first-degree misdemeanor, in connection with the incident. He was released from jail Friday after his first appearance before a judge in connection with the case.

“The incident that occurred today is both troubling and unfortunate,” the victim wrote in an email to the judge. Rainey's attorney, Huntley Johnson, read the email to a reporter for The Sun in a telephone interview Friday.

“The incident was simply over a book bag with a cellphone in it, and possession of this bag. In no way did I feel physically threatened at any time,” the victim said in the email.

“Over the course of our relationship together, I have never been verbally or physically threatened by Chris Rainey. What happened today was a misunderstanding and should not affect his future in any way.”

According to an arrest report, Rainey was visiting his girlfriend at her apartment when they started arguing after she noticed he had a second cellphone while she was hugging him goodbye. He is alleged to have then chased and slapped her, according to the report.

Shortly after news of the arrest broke, Rainey, a former Gator football player, was waived from the Pittsburgh Steelers. In a statement, General Manager Kevin Colbert said Rainey's actions were “extremely disappointing.”

Rainey on Friday appeared before 8th Judicial Circuit Court Judge David Kreider to hear the terms of his pretrial release. He walked up to a podium at the Alachua County jail after Kreider called his name, as seen in a live video recording that was transmitted into Kreider's courtroom. The judge asked Rainey if he understood what he had been charged with.

“Yes sir,” Rainey said.

Johnson said evidence from the case showed the incident was not as serious as it appeared.

“I would like to point at that in the police report there were no marks on the young lady,” he said. “And if there was an open slapping then I would suggest there would have been marks on the young lady.”

Johnson said he spoke with the victim in the case and that she told Johnson she was adamant there was no crime committed. He said the two have been in a nine-month relationship and that she's not in fear of Rainey.

“They were tussling over a backpack which had his phone in it,” he said. “She indicates that she can see how someone from afar -- across the street -- would have thought there was a touching because they were fighting over the bag and she fell down.”

Johnson said the family specifically asked that the judge not impose a no-contact provision in his release decision.

“Mr. Rainey is unemployed because the Steelers cut him yesterday because of this event,” Johnson told Kreider, “I respectfully suggest there's a pretty good possibility he will not be unemployed in the future.”

Johnson explained how Rainey signed a lease and rents an apartment in Gainesville and that he would show up for his court date and wasn't a danger to the community.

Judge Kreider listened, and then spoke to Rainey.

He told him he could not possess any weapons or firearms and that he could have no contact with the victim.

“Now I understand that, according to Mr. Johnson, she wishes to have contact with you,” Kreider said, but the judge made clear that contacting her was a crime and a violation. He then released Rainey of his own recognizance until his court date.

Johnson said after the hearing that he did not wish to discuss how Rainey felt about the ordeal.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20130111/ARTICLES/130119924

One of two things just happened here. One, she read that the Steelers released him and felt guilty (which she shouldn't have) about being involved in any way with his release or two, the witnesses that saw what happened didn't really see what happened. Either way, maybe next time Dan and friends should wait until they have all the evidence instead of reacting and acting on a bunch of eyewitnesses that now, might not have seen what they thought.

SteelMusic
01-11-2013, 03:03 PM
It sucks to see our team have so many situations pop up like this in the last few years. We need to get back to winning football and out of the newspapers. Never thought I would see this much crap flying in Steeler nation. I'll be glad when the draft gets here so we can at least have some positive stuff to talk about. I did find some humor in this article though...
http://boredhole.com/steelers_release_rainey_2013

Steeler7BR
01-11-2013, 03:06 PM
So he's innocent great turn of events. Bring him back!!!!

harrison'samonster
01-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Either way, maybe next time Dan and friends should wait until they [B]have all the evidence instead of reacting and acting on a bunch of eyewitnesses that now, might not have seen what they thought.

I'm still surprised they dropped him so quickly. Witnesses never know what they see, and police reports are too vague to get a true idea of what happened. Then press reports add stuff or change it.

If he's guilty, we don't need him, and if he get's off, I doubt the team takes him back.

SteelersCanada
01-11-2013, 03:13 PM
So he's innocent great turn of events. Bring him back!!!!

Assuming these accusations aren't true, it's irrelevant at the end of the day. Danny has to save face and respectfully uphold the image of the Steelers organization. So, it doesn't matter if the crime as actually committed or not, it's bad enough he was accused of such a heinous act.

I'm so glad he's back in charge.

SteelMusic
01-11-2013, 03:17 PM
I wonder who those witnesses are. Friends of the "victim"? Just sayin'.

fer522
01-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Of course she'll drop the charges and she'll say nothing happened because if he goes to jail and loses his job because of her she won't be getting that new house and car she always wanted

SteelersCanada
01-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Of course she'll drop the charges and she'll say nothing happened because if he goes to jail and loses his job because of her she won't be getting that new house and car she always wanted

With no evidence of any physical abuse on her? Something isn't right here and the fact that the 'witnesses' saw them from a far in the dark makes me think that something's going on.

Either she's experiencing battered wife syndrome or what was originally reported wasn't accurate. There's a shocker, the media jumped on and sensationalized a story without waiting for any confirmed information.

lloydwoodson
01-11-2013, 03:58 PM

There is also the police report that says there were no visible marks on the victim. So there's that.

Nothing happened. Everyone overreacted and stuck their nose where it didn't belong. Rainey's girlfriend still wants to be with him... and he is unemployed.

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Rainey- he should be back with a slight discount since he wasn't making much more than the minimum before.

Ravens1
01-11-2013, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=Lady Steel;1075891]I'm not going to give him a break. It is not okay to hit a woman, no matter what age a man is. Men know this, even those in their 20's. It's also not okay to mess with her purse without permission. I never touch a man's wallet without permission. I carry a ton of stuff in my purse and it's heavy. If a guy tried to take my purse, I would cause him great harm with it.

It's not okay if his girlfriend took his cell phone without permission either, but I don't know the circumstances on how or why she had it, so I can't really speak to that issue, but it still doesn't warrant Rainey hitting her.[End Quote]

Might have to go with Sean Connery on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FgMLROTqJ0

lloydwoodson
01-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Are you suggesting they should tolerate what Rainey did in the interest of avoiding confusion?

Vis, you must be really disappointed to find out that Rainey did nothing wrong. It seems now that Rainey just had a run of the mill argument with his girlfriend and that he didn't strike her at all, she wants to continue contact with him and she is upset that he lost his job. You just lost an opportunity to pass judgement on other people.

Will the Steelers now issue an apology for wrongful termination or is that responsibility limited to players like Mendenhall and Roethlisberger only?

SteelersCanada
01-11-2013, 04:12 PM
If there was one thing I thought this conversation really needed, it was the Ravens fans point of view. I'm so glad we got it.

lloydwoodson
01-11-2013, 04:14 PM
@Ravens1 I was waiting for someone to post that interview. :chuckle:

You're going to get a lot of "Typical Ravens fan :blah:" for this. I salute you for making fun of an absolutely ridiculous situation where people rushed to condemn a man the instant he was charged with a crime he did not commit. Somehow you'll be the bad guy though.

Ravens1
01-11-2013, 04:25 PM
@Ravens1 I was waiting for someone to post that interview. :chuckle:

You're going to get a lot of "Typical Ravens fan :blah:" for this. I salute you for making fun of an absolutely ridiculous situation where people rushed to condemn a man the instant he was charged with a crime he did not commit. Somehow you'll be the bad guy though.

Thanks for seeing the post as I intended it. Yes, I have come to expect the typical reaction, which is why I didn't want to disappoint providing the opportunity to claim superiority. We are all blue collar morons wearing "wife beaters" down here in Baltimore don't cha know. ; )

Vis
01-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Vis, you must be really disappointed to find out that Rainey did nothing wrong. It seems now that Rainey just had a run of the mill argument with his girlfriend and that he didn't strike her at all, she wants to continue contact with him and she is upset that he lost his job. You just lost an opportunity to pass judgement on other people.

Will the Steelers now issue an apology for wrongful termination or is that responsibility limited to players like Mendenhall and Roethlisberger only?

So the independent witnesses were lying and the gf is telling the truth? No. The abused person trying to protect the abuser is so common it's cliche.

VictoryFormation
01-11-2013, 07:07 PM
I would be willing to bet that Rainey, and his girlfriend were both intoxicated. She suspected that he was screwing around on her with some other broad, which was probably correct. They got into a drunken argument about it. When the argument heated up, she grabbed his phone to look for any texts, numbers, or pictures from the other woman. In his drunkeness, Rainey became angry, aggressive, and abusive toward her, because she wouldn't give up the phone.
If they would have both stayed sober, and went to see a movie, none of this would of happened. Instead, Rainey will pay the price, and probably wind up with the Jets.

Vis
01-11-2013, 07:09 PM
I would be willing to bet that Rainey, and his girlfriend were both intoxicated. She suspected that he was screwing around on her with some other broad, which was probably correct. They got into a drunken argument about it. When the argument heated up, she grabbed his phone to look for any texts, numbers, or pictures from the other woman. In his drunkeness, Rainey became angry, aggressive, and abusive toward her, because she wouldn't give up the phone.
If they would have both stayed sober, and went to see a movie, none of this would of happened. Instead, Rainey will pay the price, and probably wind up with the Jets.

Bengals

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Assuming these accusations aren't true, it's irrelevant at the end of the day. Danny has to save face and respectfully uphold the image of the Steelers organization. So, it doesn't matter if the crime as actually committed or not, it's bad enough he was accused of such a heinous act.

I'm so glad he's back in charge.

I would wager Art Rooney pulled the trigger on this one, not the Ambassador

As far as the victim claiming it was all a misunderstanding after the charges are brought, that is a pretty common occurrence in domestic violene cases

As far as the other witnesses, they presumably do not have a motive to make all this up and call the cops, although purported eyewitness and straight A student "Heather M" disagrees based on her e-mail below to ESPN

I am writing you in regard to your article about the Steeler's dismissal of Chris Rainey after his arrest this morning. Chris is actually my next door neighbor and I happened to see the whole ordeal transpire from my apartment as I was getting ready for class this morning. What the police report/your article describes as Chris "pull[ing] the woman out of a vehicle...and then slapp[ing] her in the face with an open hand" was actually him pulling on a backpack that she was also holding and she took a few steps outside the open car door that she was sitting sideways in (because he obviously pulled harder than she did). The only thing that I can imagine witnesses claiming to be a slap to the face was when he tried to snatch the bag and she put her hand in the way and his hand made a slapping noise against hers.

By the time I left for class, there were police officers taking statements, but the girl with whom he was arguing was telling the police officers the truth about what happened, so I did not feel it was necessary to make a statement. It seemed like they were just going through a formality because 911 was called. As a result of reading your article, I contacted GPD and asked to file a report on what actually happened. I was treated like a criminal, despite being a straight A student and never having even a little trouble with the law. I was accused of lying and told that, although they can't tell me who reported what, there was at least one witness who said they saw him slap her in the face.

I think that it is also worth noting that the person who called 911 was a neighbor who openly dislikes Chris and his roommate and wanders the neighborhood asking if she can have our passwords for our internet instead of buying her own.
:chuckle:
Thank you,
Heather M.

http://deadspin.com/5975233/

As usual the lawyer gets the prize for best supporting actor in the role of saying anything to defend the client while maintaining a straight face

Johnson said evidence from the case showed the incident was not as serious as it appeared. “I would like to point at that in the police report there were no marks on the young lady,” he said. “And if there was an open slapping then I would suggest there would have been marks on the young lady.”

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20130111/ARTICLES/130119924/-1/news?Title=Rainey-s-attorney-Victim-insists-no-crime-took-place

In other words, no broken bone - no foul

But the lawyer did get this right

“Mr. Rainey is unemployed because the Steelers cut him yesterday because of this event,” Johnson told Kreider, “I respectfully suggest there's a pretty good possibility he will not be unemployed in the future.”

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20130111/ARTICLES/130119924/-1/news?Title=Rainey-s-attorney-Victim-insists-no-crime-took-place

VictoryFormation
01-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Okay... I found a link to the court hearing on Friday. Here it is. I hope it works

http://video.gainesville.com/video/2088258033001/

harrison'samonster
01-11-2013, 08:20 PM
I was treated like a criminal, despite being a straight A student and never having even a little trouble with the law. I was accused of lying

welcome to dealing with police. I've known ppl who called the police to report a crime and were told if they called in again they would be the ones arrested.

they arrested somebody, they've got their evidence, and they don't want to hear any witness (including the person who was directly involved) contradict the little story that they've created.

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2013, 08:36 PM
welcome to dealing with police. I've known ppl who called the police to report a crime and were told if they called in again they would be the ones arrested.

they arrested somebody, they've got their evidence, and they don't want to hear any witness (including the person who was directly involved) contradict the little story that they've created.

Hard to say how credible "Heather" may be, although she somehow was able to hear from afar that the girlfriend was telling "the truth" to the police and that slap by Rainey was to the girlfriend's hand rather than face as Heather got ready to go to class and keep up that straight A record

Everyone has their own ax to grind - there may be the typical subplots associated with off-campus life and rooting for the Gators in play here

harrison'samonster
01-11-2013, 08:53 PM
got to keep up those grades! I agree though, no reason to trust "Heather". Although in her letter it doesn't say that she was far away when the girlfriend was talking to the police. She just says that it was the time she left for class.

SteelersCanada
01-11-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm not going to comment on the 'don't trust the police' thing but I will say that I do believe this 'Heather M', despite her spelling the Steelers the Steeler's. I can overlook that fact, though.

On a more serious note, there's no reason for this girl to lie. Again, people saw this from a far distance in the dark and, according to Heather, they were looking for a reason to get Chris into some kind of trouble and a domestic disturbance call is a really good way to do so. The quick reaction here by the Rooney's (whomever it was, I'm still betting it was Dan due to the severity of the punishment) was ridiculous. The fact that they were the judge, jury and executioner hours after the incident had happened before getting all their ducks in a row and gathering confirmed reports is a bigger issue to me than the situation Chris is currently in. The least Dan, Art and Colbert can do is apologize to Chris and reinstate him, but we all know that hell will freeze over first.

Our management needs to have a cooler head on the board because this kind of double-standard and facade of 'don't do this stuff! we're a squeaky clean organization!' is insulting.

harrison'samonster
01-11-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm not going to comment on the 'don't trust the police' thing but I will say that I do believe this 'Heather M', despite her spelling the Steelers the Steeler's. I can overlook that fact, though.

On a more serious note, there's no reason for this girl to lie. Again, people saw this from a far distance in the dark and, according to Heather, they were looking for a reason to get Chris into some kind of trouble and a domestic disturbance call is a really good way to do so. The quick reaction here by the Rooney's (whomever it was, I'm still betting it was Dan due to the severity of the punishment) was ridiculous. The fact that they were the judge, jury and executioner hours after the incident had happened before getting all their ducks in a row and gathering confirmed reports is a bigger issue to me than the situation Chris is currently in. The least Dan, Art and Colbert can do is apologize to Chris and reinstate him, but we all know that hell will freeze over first.

Our management needs to have a cooler head on the board because this kind of double-standard and facade of 'don't do this stuff! we're a squeaky clean organization!' is insulting.

I would say don't trust them any more than you would trust any stranger. I would say don't expect anything from them.

They're just doing their jobs. Mandatory arrest laws in domestic violence calls force them to arrest somebody. So they arrest a person, the prosecutor then does his job. The defense lawyer does his job. What really happened isn't important as long as justice is served.

Hawaii 5-0
01-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Chris Rainey's girlfriend says no assault took place

Associated Press
Published: Jan. 11, 2013

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Former Pittsburgh Steeler Christopher Rainey's girlfriend says she was not assaulted, and that the state of Florida should drop the battery charge against him.

That's according to Rainey's lawyer, Huntley Johnson, who read an email from the woman during a bond hearing Friday. The Gainesville Sun posted video of the hearing on its website.

Gainesville police charged Rainey with simple battery Thursday after an alleged altercation with his girlfriend. Police say the two were arguing over Rainey's cellphone, and that when his girlfriend got into a vehicle, the ex-Florida Gator tried to pull her out. Witnesses told detectives that Rainey slapped his girlfriend across the face and then chased her when she ran away with his phone in her purse.

The girlfriend's email said the witnesses were mistaken, and Johnson pointed out that officers found no marks on the woman's face.

Rainey, who was cut by the Steelers after his arrest, was released after the hearing but ordered not to have any contact with his girlfriend.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000125142/article/chris-raineys-girlfriend-says-no-assault-took-place

pete74
01-12-2013, 04:29 AM
I said from the get go, I was surprised the Steelers cut him before the facts came out. I'm sure this is going to puss Pouncey off being his friend. Regardless of what happened we jumped the gun way to fast.

steeltheone
01-12-2013, 07:51 AM
I said from the get go, I was surprised the Steelers cut him before the facts came out. I'm sure this is going to puss Pouncey off being his friend. Regardless of what happened we jumped the gun way to fast.

The Steelers gambled on this kid hoping some things he did in his past were just youthful mistakes and gave him a golden opportunity to succeed.

"Where there is smoke there is fire" He could not even make through year one without getting into trouble. Once again it was problems with verbal or physical violence with a
woman.

The Steelers made the right choice to cut the thug. He will be in trouble again, just not in a Steeler uniform.

steelfury02
01-12-2013, 08:39 AM
i can't imagine being at least a recognizable athlete or even just on the roster, even if you aren't a star, or one of the league's household names - there has to be a ton of predatory people out there, looking to make something out of nothing for a number of reasons

That said - it is up to Chris to make sure he stays away from scenarios and situations that could lead to this. He still shouldn't have been pulling on a woman's backup. Nothing is worth that much, unless there was something incriminating in it

Atlanta Dan
01-12-2013, 09:43 AM
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Former Pittsburgh Steeler Christopher Rainey's girlfriend says she was not assaulted, and that the state of Florida should drop the battery charge against him.

That's according to Rainey's lawyer, Huntley Johnson, who read an email from the woman during a bond hearing Friday. The Gainesville Sun posted video of the hearing on its website.

Note that the attorney read an e-mail from the girlfriend into the record rather than have her testify live

No reason to let the party line be subject to cross examination:coffee: