PDA

View Full Version : Rainey Vs Talamu

fujirama24
01-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Why release rainey for hitting his girlfriend when you keep a guy that tried to murder several people including multiple cops. I don't see the logic in these steeler moves. If this were the 90s they would both be gone. And under cowher this sh!
t wouldn't have fly'd.

torpedoshell31
01-10-2013, 05:07 PM
I don't think Ta'amu was trying to kill people, I think he was so drunk he didn't know what he was doing, but you're right he should have been cut just as quickly as Rainey was.

wwhickok
01-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Fly'd isnt a word and Im not sure thats entirely true. But there is no logic.

GoFor7
01-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Ernie Holmes shot at a police helicopter and the Steelers kept him for 5 more years....

Fire Arians
01-10-2013, 05:13 PM
cause ta'amu has a legit shot at becoming a starter. rainey is just a gimmick player and proved to be expendable.

sounds like a double standard and probably is, but that's the way stuff works.

MACH1
01-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Who's Talamu? :hunch:

Fire Arians
01-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Tolamalu?

TRH
01-10-2013, 05:28 PM
I've been thinking about this - and its possible that after the recent couple of years of incidents (S.Holmes, Ben, Ta'amu, now Rainey, and others) - the Ta'amu incident afterwards could have pissed the big man Rooney off so bad (and it SHOULD have) that he's having the team take an absolute zero tolerance policy on this kind of stuff now.
It's been constant black eyes on a franchise known to be professional through and through - i think the organization has had enough. Because clearly the Ta'amu incident was far worse than this one was.
i hope this is the case. I'm sick of seeing this kind of stuff around here.

harrison'samonster
01-10-2013, 05:32 PM
pa-la-ma-la. pa-la-ma-la. pa-la-ma-la. That's Palamalu!

Fire Haley
01-10-2013, 06:04 PM
He has more upside

and drunks are tolerated in western PA, it's a way of life

NSMaster56
01-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Confused by OP's dilemma.

As we all know, years back Big Ben was accused of rape and Santonio smoked some weed... only one was traded.

The NFL is a business. That's your answer why some 'pay a price' and some don't.

Darkstorm05
01-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Ok, there's is actually a pretty wide moral divide here. We're talking about college aged kids here, not 40yo guys fresh out of a Shaolin temple. Now, any of you ever had too much to drink? If so, were you being 100% rational and logical the whole time? Did you grow up and learn your lesson, and ease up on the dumb kid behavior? That's where Ta'amu stands. Maybe he relapses...then it's time to drop the hammer.

Now, Rainey was at least marginally in control of his senses, and decided this chick's backtalk was unacceptable, and threw down. She tried to run, because she'd just had herself a dose of housewife's helper, and he chased her down and dished out seconds. That's not simply a stupidity issue, it's a violent criminal mindset issue. If he had instead went DUI, and say beat the shit out of a paper towel dispenser instead of another person, some humble and heartfelt apologizes likely would have gotten him off the hook, too.

Honestly, it's not that big a deal. If this Sunday were a Steeler's playoff game, would we even be seeing so many threads over this?

mikegrimey
01-10-2013, 06:29 PM
cause ta'amu has a legit shot at becoming a starter. rainey is just a gimmick player and proved to be expendable.

sounds like a double standard and probably is, but that's the way stuff works.

Correct, talent or potential counts for more

A big reason why we kept James Harrison but quickly cut Cedric Wilson

harrison'samonster
01-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Now, Rainey was at least marginally in control of his senses, and decided this chick's backtalk was unacceptable, and threw down. She tried to run, because she'd just had herself a dose of housewife's helper, and he chased her down and dished out seconds.

ok, it's possible that this is the way it happened, but I haven't read anything that suggests he slapped her because of something she said, or that he chased her down to hit her again.

Darkstorm05
01-10-2013, 06:51 PM
ok, it's possible that this is the way it happened, but I haven't read anything that suggests he slapped her because of something she said, or that he chased her down to hit her again.

AP story snippet...

According to a Gainesville Police spokesman, a 911 call was placed by witnesses who reported an argument between Gainey and his girlfriend, after she took his cell phone and got into his roommate’s car trying to get away from him.

According to the police report, witnesses said Rainey went to the passenger door of the car and pulled the woman out of the car, slapping her in the face. They both fell to the ground, then he chased her to try to get the phone back, grabbing her purse and causing both to fall again.

harrison'samonster
01-10-2013, 06:53 PM
the Associated Press can't even get his name correct. It's Rainey, not Gainey. Why would I trust them to get anything else correct?

DanRooney
01-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Getting rid of Rainey was a mistake. I'd rather have him on the team than Batch (Baron...or Charlie for that matter) or Redman. The guy showed a ton of potential in the return game. And if we get rid of Wallace, is Brown going to take over kickoffs again? That's a recipe for disaster. Look out when we have Jerricho Cotchery and Emmanuel Sanders as our #1 and #2 receivers.

Steeler7BR
01-10-2013, 07:02 PM
the Associated Press can't even get his name correct. It's Rainey, not Gainey. Why would I trust them to get anything else correct?

Of course people who can't spell names most often can't get any information right.

:rofl:

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Getting rid of Rainey was a mistake. I'd rather have him on the team than Batch (Baron...or Charlie for that matter) or Redman. The guy showed a ton of potential in the return game. And if we get rid of Wallace, is Brown going to take over kickoffs again? That's a recipe for disaster. Look out when we have Jerricho Cotchery and Emmanuel Sanders as our #1 and #2 receivers.

Getting rid of Rainey was a Blessing. A ton of potential? How many times did he make it past the 30?

Fire Arians
01-10-2013, 07:09 PM
AP story snippet...

rainey fell down after contact, nothing new to see here... :chuckle:

SteelersCanada
01-10-2013, 07:11 PM
That's a really, really good question. Both rookies, but Danny decided to keep around a player that had a legitimate chance of killing someone and on top of that, chose to flee from the police. All he had to do was apologize and everything was smoothed over and forgotten about.

It's a crock and a double-standard. But, of course, when Danny comes back into the picture every player has to be a Saint or they get released. It's ridiculous.

Darkstorm05
01-10-2013, 07:13 PM

Hahaha. Nice shot.

Hawaii 5-0
01-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Gerry: Steelers have nobody to blame but themselves for Rainey, Ta'amu

THURSDAY, 10 JANUARY 2013 WRITTEN BY GERRY DULAC

Here’s a simple solution for the Steelers and other NFL teams to avoid problems with players who embarrass the franchise with off-the-field incidents that ultimately result in their dismissal.

Don’t draft them, especially when you know they have a proven track record of misdeeds or offenses.

And the Steelers are as guilty as any other team of ignoring their history.

Three of the rookies they drafted this year – Rainey, tackle Mike Adams and nose tackle Alameda Ta’amu -- had legal problems of varying degree in college.

Rainey had a felony stalking charge against him in 2010 when he sent a threatening text to a woman, telling her, “Time to die.” His arrest this morning in Florida on charges of simple battery for slapping his girlfriend should not come as a shock.

Ta’amu was charged with driving under the influence in October 2011 for an incident that occurred in December, 2009, when Ta'amu was playing for the University of Washington. Perhaps it should not have been a surprise, then, when Ta’amu was charged with multiple felony and misdemeanor offenses in October stemming from a police chase while he was driving drunk through the South Side. That forced the Steelers to suspend him for two weeks without pay.

And Adams, their No. 2 choice, tested positive for marijuana at the NFL scouting combine in February, then lied about it to various NFL teams and scouts.

The Steelers knew about all three past offenses when they drafted the players.

That means they knowingly built one-third of their 2012 draft class with players who had previous legal problems before they became Steelers. Now, I don’t have to be on the dean’s list at Carnegie Mellon to know that greatly increases the odds of having an embarrassing episode with a player. And the Steelers have already had two of them in four months.

The Steelers have nobody but themselves to blame for drafting a player with less an impeccable character and having that player become another black eye for the franchise.

To their credit, they quickly released Rainey, their kick returner and specialty running back.

But there is a way to stop that.

Stop drafting them.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119466-gerry-steelers-have-nobody-to-blame-but-themselves-for-rainey-taamu

Blacksburg Zach
01-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Getting rid of Rainey was a Blessing. A ton of potential? How many times did he make it past the 30?

Even when he did pass the 30, the return would be called back by a penalty more often than not. No return man would be effective with the Steelers' special teams unit. Rainey also can't run between the tackles because of his lack of size, and the Steelers never really took advantage of chances to line him up as a wide receiver or run pitch plays with Rainey. In the end, I have to agree that Rainey really didn't bring much to the table for the Steelers, and cutting him really doesn't have a negative impact on the Steelers.

ZoneBlitzer
01-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Good kick returner lost for sure and one they'll have to replace but honestly the kid was just too small for the NFL. He just doesn't have the right frame to take the pounding. I think his career will be short-lived.

Darthslayrr
01-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Right or wrong, they need a DT more than they need a 150 pound running back.

Hawaii 5-0
01-10-2013, 08:35 PM

DanRooney
01-10-2013, 10:41 PM

"On the special teams, Tomlin recognized the NFL’s 9th-ranked kickoff return team, along with placekicker Shaun Suisham, who converted 28 of 31 field goals (90.3).

Leading the kickoff return unit was rookie Chris Rainey, 7th in the NFL with a 26.5 average per return."
:thumbsup:

OliverPoop
01-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Repeat After Me:

The Steelers are a classy organization

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-11-2013, 12:29 AM
"On the special teams, Tomlin recognized the NFL’s 9th-ranked kickoff return team, along with placekicker Shaun Suisham, who converted 28 of 31 field goals (90.3).

Leading the kickoff return unit was rookie Chris Rainey, 7th in the NFL with a 26.5 average per return."
:thumbsup:

Stats in the nfl that are Averages can be very misleading.

For example he had 39 kickoff returns. If say 70% ( 27 returns ) were only 20 yard returns and the other 30% ( 12 returns ) were of 40 yards. The average of that is a 26.15 average per return. When you may think 26 is a decent number but in fact 70% of the time it's the same as a touchback.

And another one 70% of his returns could be off 18 yards( less than a touchback) but 30% be 50 yards you get a 27 average.

Don't always look at averages to make a argument about the production of a player in the nfl. As some of those 40+ returns could come at meaningless times and those 20 yards could come at important times.

To me Rainey never really provided that splash play in the return game. Just a mediocre season by him. And the fact we dressed 4rb because he was suppose to be a impact player was a mistake so I'm glad he's gone. I was never a big fan even in college.

Lady Steel
01-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Gerry: Steelers have nobody to blame but themselves for Rainey, Ta'amu

THURSDAY, 10 JANUARY 2013 WRITTEN BY GERRY DULAC

Here’s a simple solution for the Steelers and other NFL teams to avoid problems with players who embarrass the franchise with off-the-field incidents that ultimately result in their dismissal.

Don’t draft them, especially when you know they have a proven track record of misdeeds or offenses.

And the Steelers are as guilty as any other team of ignoring their history.

Three of the rookies they drafted this year – Rainey, tackle Mike Adams and nose tackle Alameda Ta’amu -- had legal problems of varying degree in college.

Rainey had a felony stalking charge against him in 2010 when he sent a threatening text to a woman, telling her, “Time to die.” His arrest this morning in Florida on charges of simple battery for slapping his girlfriend should not come as a shock.

Ta’amu was charged with driving under the influence in October 2011 for an incident that occurred in December, 2009, when Ta'amu was playing for the University of Washington. Perhaps it should not have been a surprise, then, when Ta’amu was charged with multiple felony and misdemeanor offenses in October stemming from a police chase while he was driving drunk through the South Side. That forced the Steelers to suspend him for two weeks without pay.

And Adams, their No. 2 choice, tested positive for marijuana at the NFL scouting combine in February, then lied about it to various NFL teams and scouts.

The Steelers knew about all three past offenses when they drafted the players.

That means they knowingly built one-third of their 2012 draft class with players who had previous legal problems before they became Steelers. Now, I don’t have to be on the dean’s list at Carnegie Mellon to know that greatly increases the odds of having an embarrassing episode with a player. And the Steelers have already had two of them in four months.

The Steelers have nobody but themselves to blame for drafting a player with less an impeccable character and having that player become another black eye for the franchise.

To their credit, they quickly released Rainey, their kick returner and specialty running back.

But there is a way to stop that.

Stop drafting them.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119466-gerry-steelers-have-nobody-to-blame-but-themselves-for-rainey-taamu

This. :thumbsup:

Rick5895
01-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Rainey issue is that domestic violence. A seeming trend behavior with him. He was cut. Big deal, I liked him at Florida and was excited when we drafted him but he didn't live up to what I thought he could be. too easily knocked down. The football issue aside, I hope this young man gets some help with his issues, I would hate to see him go down a bad path.
Ta'amu on the other hand, should have received NO second chance for his stupidity.He could have hurt or iled any number of people and tried to assault police officers. IMO that deserves no chance UNLESS, there are some mental health issues present we are unaware of. In both cases I hope these young men get the help they need

lloydwoodson
01-11-2013, 05:43 AM
In both cases I hope these young men get the help they need

Rainey doesn't have a psychological issue... bitch took his phone. :chuckle:

Rick5895
01-11-2013, 06:02 AM

Wow,

wwhickok
01-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Both of these guys belong in Detroit.

Vis
01-11-2013, 07:47 AM

We need an opposite of thanks button for shit like this.

truesteelerfan
01-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Just to play devil's advocate - The US Govt says people are innocent until guilty - but an employer does not? Charges do not equal guilt. Just sayin.

NoFieldFive
01-11-2013, 04:05 PM
hopefully Talamu is looking at prison time for what he did. is there a trial scheduled?

unless he's released on Sundays for a few hours it's not gonna matter.

TRH
01-11-2013, 06:33 PM
hopefully Talamu is looking at prison time for what he did. is there a trial scheduled?

unless he's released on Sundays for a few hours it's not gonna matter.

yes, he'll most likely face jail time of some sort.

lloydwoodson
01-11-2013, 07:33 PM
^ Now that Rainey is on the path to exhoneration the carefully aimed moral outrage has been scoped in on Ta'amu.

Rather than admit you judged Rainey unfairly you will go on to condemn the next man, and since Ta'amu was actually caught red-handed he makes a perfect target.

I stopped pretending the Steelers had the moral high ground I am sure you all can do the same.

Twentyvalve
01-11-2013, 07:37 PM
I remember years ago a Raven (I forgot his name) was arrested, charged, and sentenced for selling drugs. The judge actually intentionally sentenced him as to not interfere with his NFL season.

WOW.

harrison'samonster
01-11-2013, 07:38 PM
^ Now that Rainey is on the path to exhoneration the carefully aimed moral outrage has been scoped in on Ta'amu.

Rather than admit you judged Rainey unfairly you will go on to condemn the next man, and since Ta'amu was actually caught red-handed he makes a perfect target.

I stopped pretending the Steelers had the moral high ground I am sure you all can do the same.

I think some ppl have been saying all along that what Ta'amu did was far worse and that he didn't deserve to still be on the team.

teegre
01-11-2013, 07:43 PM
I think some ppl have been saying all along that what Ta'amu did was far worse and that he didn't deserve to still be on the team.

Rainey (allegedly) hit a woman with his hand.

Ta'amu hit a woman with his car.

I'm no scientist... but...

lloydwoodson
01-11-2013, 07:52 PM

What Ta'amu did was far worse and he shouldn't be on the team. He has a serious alcohol problem and he can not be relied on. My point was the conversation immediately switched from vilifying Rainey, he was called a "thug" or a "gangster rapper" among other things:sofunny:, to demonizing Ta'amu for his behaviour.

As soon as it turns out Rainey didn't actually strike his girlfriend no one says a word. No one says "I guess I was wrong and shouldn't have rushed to judgement." Instead, people say "Yeah well forget about Rainey- look at Ta'amu there's a bad guy."

Vis
01-11-2013, 07:54 PM
What Ta'amu did was far worse and he shouldn't be on the team. He has a serious alcohol problem and he can not be relied on. My point was the conversation immediately switched from vilifying Rainey, he was called a "thug" or a "gangster rapper" among other things:sofunny:, to demonizing Ta'amu for his behaviour.

As soon as it turns out Rainey didn't actually strike his girlfriend no one says a word. No one says "I guess I was wrong and shouldn't have rushed to judgement." Instead, people say "Yeah well forget about Rainey- look at Ta'amu there's a bad guy."

As soon as she said he didn't despite the others who say it. And you immediately called her a bitch. You jumped one way on this. Why?

sloppyjoe
01-11-2013, 08:31 PM

i agree. i no longer can say that the steelers are any different than any other team in the nfl when it comes to stuff like this and as far as i am concerned, they might as well go after the best college kids regardless of criminal history.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2013, 10:44 PM
You know, the worst thing is the wasted draft pick. Steelers already had Mendenhall, Batch, Redman and Dwyer as backs. Sanders and Brown as return guys.

Could have drafted Safety George Iloka, WR Juron Criner, WR Marvin McNutt, Billy Wynn DE instead of Rainey. All good prospects that might still be on the Roster.

teegre
01-11-2013, 11:43 PM
You know, the worst thing is the wasted draft pick. Steelers already had Mendenhall, Batch, Redman and Dwyer as backs. Sanders and Brown as return guys.

Could have drafted Safety George Iloka, WR Juron Criner, WR Marvin McNutt, Billy Wynn DE instead of Rainey. All good prospects that might still be on the Roster.

Ta'amu's pick, as well.

If nothing else, those two picks could have been packaged, to trade up for Cordy Glenn or Bobby Wagner.

Alas...

SteelersCanada
01-12-2013, 12:59 AM
Hindsight is 20/20 guys. If you go back and look at who we could have had, you'll drink yourself into a depression. Trust me, we've missed on some guys in the later rounds. Don't go look, though. It's just upsetting.

lloydwoodson
01-12-2013, 02:42 AM
Hindsight is 20/20 guys. If you go back and look at who we could have had, you'll drink yourself into a depression. Trust me, we've missed on some guys in the later rounds. Don't go look, though. It's just upsetting.

ALFRED MORRIS ANYONE??? :banging:

lloydwoodson
01-12-2013, 03:22 AM
As soon as she said he didn't despite the others who say it. And you immediately called her a bitch. You jumped one way on this. Why?

If you had read the serious posts I made I knew that there was a good chance the whole story was bs. There are two sides to every story and from what was reported worst case scenario was that Rainey open-hand slapped his own girlfriend. I immediately pointed out that this is nobody's business, and that James Harrison and his girlfriend are still together after a similar disputation. I next said that Rainey being fired affects their livelihood as a couple.

What happened next? Rainey's girlfriend says she still wants contact with him and that he shouln't lose his job over this. I called it on both counts.

Instead of reading what I wrote in earnest you got upset because I made a joke after a post about how Rainey seems to have a history of domestic violence and that he needs psychological help. I know a lot of people on this forum have never made mistakes in their lives but I have and I am slow to judge others.

Reading various opinions stating things like Rainey should have gone to police were good for a laugh. Young black men with blemished records who come from trouble childhoods/neighbourhoods do not go to the police. There were a lot of people incapable of empathy making opinions.

Rick5895
01-12-2013, 04:50 AM
If you had read the serious posts I made I knew that there was a good chance the whole story was bs. There are two sides to every story and from what was reported worst case scenario was that Rainey open-hand slapped his own girlfriend. I immediately pointed out that this is nobody's business, and that James Harrison and his girlfriend are still together after a similar disputation. I next said that Rainey being fired affects their livelihood as a couple.

What happened next? Rainey's girlfriend says she still wants contact with him and that he shouln't lose his job over this. I called it on both counts.

Instead of reading what I wrote in earnest you got upset because I made a joke after a post about how Rainey seems to have a history of domestic violence and that he needs psychological help. I know a lot of people on this forum have never made mistakes in their lives but I have and I am slow to judge others.

Reading various opinions stating things like Rainey should have gone to police were good for a laugh. Young black men with blemished records who come from trouble childhoods/neighbourhoods do not go to the police. There were a lot of people incapable of empathy making opinions.

I said Rainey and Ta'amu need help, in whatever form that may be, doesn't necessarily mean psychological. ( i also said there could be mental health issues, no one on these boards knows for sure) Although I do speak with some experience , as I'm in Law enforcement from corrections side I have read where Rainey's girlfriend has contradicted what Chris has been accused of, but this is a typical response in domestics, the victim often says nothing happened even in the face of possible evidence stating otherwise. I don't know what happened, but we are on a board discussing it as fans. Do I believe Chris needs another chance, yes, do I believe the Steelers had the right to cut him, yes. But with Rainey there is a history of this behavior, no matter how small a history, This will all come out one way or another.

You make vaild points in this and in other threads , but when someone disagrees with you you seem to go a bit on the offensive at times. The joke you made was in bad taste, as you have said it's none of our business but you have weighed in with your opinion just like everybody else on here.

lloydwoodson
01-12-2013, 10:30 AM
You make vaild points in this and in other threads , but when someone disagrees with you you seem to go a bit on the offensive at times. The joke you made was in bad taste, as you have said it's none of our business but you have weighed in with your opinion just like everybody else on here.

You know what's in worse taste than a joke? Several posts celebrating a man losing his job for something he didn't do, calling him a "thug" and dismissing him as a deviant abuser of women. I think those responses were in bad taste.

Working in law enforcement doesn't mean you are qualified to determine who needs counselling or psychiatric help- especially when lacking the proper information regarding the incident. You should admit your error. Instead you choose to continue to associate Rainey with domestic violence. There is absolutely no evidence that Rainey has ever struck a woman. None. Furthermore, you explain that a witness is a liar if they explain that Rainey did not strike his girlfriend- a witness is only credible if it fits the narrative of the people who were not there and who have already drawn their conclusions (which were not based on evidence whatsoever).

My opinion was that the incident was none of my business and none of your business.

Rick5895
01-12-2013, 11:27 AM
I merely pointed out that in domestics often times the victim recants. Read what I said , you are so focused on your own opinion you refuse to see any other point of view. You say I have no knowledge of this incident, you are correct but then niether do you. You need to respect other opinions and experiences instead of trying g to force your own. Never said I was right. Btw. I never said they needed psychiatric help I said there may be some issues but I also said no one on these boards knows the whole story.
You are entitled to your opinion as am I or everyone else. Because we may differ doesn't make either of us right or wrong.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Ta'amu's pick, as well.

If nothing else, those two picks could have been packaged, to trade up for Cordy Glenn or Bobby Wagner.

Alas...

I still like the Ta'amu pick. I think he has the ability to be our long term NT and hope that somebody on the team who is in a leadership position like Keisel, Clark, etc takes the kid and helps him grow up. Kind of how Chris Carter did to Randy Moss when he came to the Vikings.

Its not so much as going back, as those guys I all mentioned are players that I liked going into the draft. I thought Geoge Iloka at safety would have been a more pressing need than a 3rd down scatback like Rainey. McNutt is a good route runner and Criner has some big upside at WR.

I even liked Nate Potter at OT and I dont think he went until the 7th, but still better than somebody that was cast aside like Rainey.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I merely pointed out that in domestics often times the victim recants. .

Yes, and the victim recants because they are often afraid of the abuser, still have feelings for the abuser or have nowhere to go as an alternative. Friends of mine are cops and often call on the same couple repeatedly for abuse because the woman is too scared to go thru with prosecution and leaving.

Is it possible that Rainey has little man syndrome and likes to beat on women to feel like a tough guy?? Who knows. He's gone now and I hope he gets his life straightened.

Every one of us on this board would pay a price to play NFL football, but guys like this that seemingly throw it away are just puzzling. I feel sorry for them.

Steeler7BR
01-12-2013, 11:56 AM
You say I have no knowledge of this incident, you are correct but then niether do you.

Yeah and exactly that is the reason why nobody should make comments about Rainey abusing woman or things like that. He just pointed out in my eyes correctly that no one should judge him with the knowledge we have. Which is very poorly.

Yes, and the victim recants because they are often afraid of the abuser, still have feelings for the abuser or have nowhere to go as an alternative. Friends of mine are cops and often call on the same couple repeatedly for abuse because the woman is too scared to go thru with prosecution and leaving.

Is it possible that Rainey has little man syndrome and likes to beat on women to feel like a tough guy?? Who knows. He's gone now and I hope he gets his life straightened.

Every one of us on this board would pay a price to play NFL football, but guys like this that seemingly throw it away are just puzzling. I feel sorry for them.

Why making this back door comment 'Is it possible that Rainey has little man syndrome and likes to beat on women to feel like a tough guy?? Who knows.' we know nothing and something like that should really be spoken out in a careful way. You have cop friends that have that knowledge ok let us know but why throwing the hint again to Chris. Just so unnecesary.

We really should let out these judging comments about it. Until we know something certain.

teegre
01-12-2013, 12:27 PM

You mean like... 2008.

R1 - Spinny Mendenspin ::: DeSean Jackson

R2 - Limas Sweed ::: Ray Rice

R3 - Bruce Davis ::: Cliff Avril, Jermichael Finley, Mario Manningham, Philip Wheeler

R4: - Tony Hills ::: Carl Nicks

Really though, anyone can go back and make the "right" pick five years later. Missing on picks happens. BUT, what is frustrating is when the pick is a decent player, but "hits/drinks" their way out of football. (Make sense?)

teegre
01-12-2013, 12:29 PM
I still like the Ta'amu pick. I think he has the ability to be our long term NT and hope that somebody on the team who is in a leadership position like Keisel, Clark, etc takes the kid and helps him grow up. Kind of how Chris Carter did to Randy Moss when he came to the Vikings.

Trust me, I followed Ta'amu in college, and wanted the dude (even, at one point, as early as R1). The kid can play. (His shoulder injury dropped him to R4... making him the steal of that draft.)

As I was saying to SteelersCanada, it is not so much missing on the pick, as seeing good players "hit/drunk/smoke" themselves out of the NFL.

steelfury02
01-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Since Western PA is the 2nd cloudiest/rainiest place in America next to Seattle, I've decided that they all need to work in mandatory time under a halogen bulb

Maybe they're just so bored and depressed and when the whether is shitty 325 days out of the year, all you got is drinks and hos

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-12-2013, 02:13 PM

You can say that about any draft for any team a year or two later.

That's what makes the draft so intriguing to all of us. Is the unknown factor that plays into it. We hope guys are going to become what we want them to be but that doesn't alway happen. There is some luck involved into the draft.

You can't see the future unless you got doc brown and Marty mcfly in our scouting department.

It's the name of the game in the nfl. Lets all just be happy we are a contender year in and year out. What every it is our organization is one of the best and we are lucky as fans.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Trust me, I followed Ta'amu in college, and wanted the dude (even, at one point, as early as R1). The kid can play. (His shoulder injury dropped him to R4... making him the steal of that draft.)

Me as we'll. in the second and third when we passed on him I was frustrated. But soo happy we traded up and once we did in the fourth I knew who it was going to be.

He has the ability and the size to be our next get nt. I still want him to learn the position a few more years. In training camp Mitchell got on him a few times for not holding his gap. He needs to be better at gap discipline. And I think McClendon will be very good.

Lets hope there's no jail time for him or he will be gone

lloydwoodson
01-12-2013, 02:51 PM
If Ta'amu gets a helmet on game day... who is going to drive him to the stadium/plane? :chuckle:

Fire Arians
01-12-2013, 03:33 PM
If Ta'amu gets a helmet on game day... who is going to drive him to the stadium/plane? :chuckle:

roethlisberger will piggyback him on his motorcycle

Hawaii 5-0
01-12-2013, 05:26 PM
FRIDAY, JANUARY 11, 2013

Rainey situation different from others

I've been asked on Twitter what the difference is between what happened with rookie running back Chris Rainey and rookie nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu.

There are differences.

Rainey had been charged in 2011 with sending a threatening text to a girlfriend. But after speaking with Maurkice Pouncey, the Steelers felt he was worth taking a chance on.

He then had two minor incidents during the season before being charged with striking a woman in Florida this week. Obviously, Rainey hadn't gotten the message in regard to walking the straight and narrow.

While Ta'amu's drunk driving incident on the South Side was deplorable, it was his lone misstep while with the team. He's had no other issues since joining the Steelers. If he had, he would have been gone.

As it was, Ta'amu was suspended for two games and subsequently released and placed on the practice squad.

That alone cost him between $200,000 to $300,000 in salary this season.

Ta'amu is still on notice. If he makes another mistake or has another run-in with the law, he'll be released as well.

@ Former Steelers Jerome Bettis and Kevin Greene made the cut to be among the finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year.

The guess here is that Bettis gets in and Greene does not.

When Bettis became eligible for the Hall of Fame, he did so in the same year as Marshall Faulk and Curtis Martin.

At that time, the pecking order among those backs ranked them Faulk, Martin, Bettis.

Faulk got in the first year, Martin the next. Now, it's Bettis' turn.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2013/01/rainey-situation-different-from-others.html

steeltheone
01-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Me as we'll. in the second and third when we passed on him I was frustrated. But soo happy we traded up and once we did in the fourth I knew who it was going to be.

He has the ability and the size to be our next get nt. I still want him to learn the position a few more years. In training camp Mitchell got on him a few times for not holding his gap. He needs to be better at gap discipline. And I think McClendon will be very good.

Lets hope there's no jail time for him or he will be gone

I would hope the guys we draft could " learn the position" before year 3 or 4 in the league!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2013, 09:45 AM

As I was saying to SteelersCanada, it is not so much missing on the pick, as seeing good players "hit/drunk/smoke" themselves out of the NFL.

Same here. Was looking at Taamu after his strong junior season as a hopeful future Steeler. The knee jerk reaction crowd here just thinks cut the bum and will then cry when he goes elsewhere to play NT.