PDA

View Full Version : hasselbeck on superbowl int.

tony hipchest
08-16-2006, 11:02 AM
not everybodys still whining:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/08/15/seahawks.postcard/1.html

"Most quarterbacks are not fond of saying they royally screwed up. But as we sat on a bench under a tree outside the EWU dining hall (you have got to love training camp, folks), he told me how he still feels he let the team down last year in the Super Bowl. Not in a self-flagellating way, but in a way that he was saying, Come on, let's not look at me as any perfect person -- or player.

The subject was the Super Bowl. On one series of the game, a vital series, Hasselbeck threw a completion to Stevens to the Steelers' 1-yard line, but it was wiped out by a controversial holding call by right tackle Sean Locklear on Pittsburgh linebacker Clark Haggans. Then Hasselbeck threw an interception, and got called for a low block for going in low trying to make a tackle on the play. (Bad call. He actually made the tackle. Ref Bill Leavy just blew the call.)

"Ever seen Bagger Vance?'' he said of the recent golf flick, cupping his hand like a telescope over his left eye. "You know the focus the guy showed in that movie? When he was hitting the ball right, it's all he saw. What I regret so much is how I lost my focus on the Locklear penalty. I just lost it. And I blame myself for the interception. You just can't do that. You can't be mad at the refs and let it affect what you're doing. Do your job. Just do your job.''

Lesson learned. The guy's going to do a good job doing his job this year."

------------------------------------------

another amusing tidbit from peter king:

Stark contrast in crowds between here and the Steelers, last year's other Super Bowl team. The crowd Tuesday morning was maybe 800 fans. The crowd in Latrobe, Pa., that I saw Monday was about 7,500. It'll take some time to build up here the kind of Steelermania Pittsburgh has developed.

BlackNGold203
08-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Kudos to Hasslebeck....guy's turned into a leader...

83-Steelers-43
08-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Now if only his HC could learn........

BlackNGold203
08-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Not if only his HC could learn........

yeah...like that'll happen.....

HometownGal
08-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Props to Hasselbeck. :smile: Hopefully his crybaby of a coach had his antennas up.

Midnightwriter07
08-16-2006, 12:27 PM
EYEROLL, Instead of just saying ... i made a bad read and got picked... he had to throw in there, I lost my focus because of the holding penalty ... is still crying without trying to sound like a ****ing baby .. All the white towels the Seahwalks fans bought ( trying to emulate the Steelers traditional TERRIBLE TOWEL ) should have just beein givin to all the players and coaching staff. The replay showed he held .. he may not have thrown him to the ground, but he held him. Ben's TD was a TD and the relay showed the nose of the ball over the white strip ...

I will give them the call after the INT on the call on Hasselback ... that was a bad call.. but christ, how many calls throughout a game is a Questionable call or a bad call made ?
I mean, i didnt see the Seahawks making any obervations about TROY's INT that was taken away by replay no less when discussing the officials lol .. I odnt see sportscasters or radio personalities continously saying that IF Brady didnt get his re do .. then the PATS might not have any SUPERBOWLS and Brady might not even be the QB in NE and Vinetary might not acually be MR HERO if not for that call.

stlrtruck
08-16-2006, 12:57 PM
EYEROLL, Instead of just saying ... i made a bad read and got picked... he had to throw in there, I lost my focus because of the holding penalty ... is still crying without trying to sound like a ****ing baby .. All the white towels the Seahwalks fans bought ( trying to emulate the Steelers traditional TERRIBLE TOWEL ) should have just beein givin to all the players and coaching staff. The replay showed he held .. he may not have thrown him to the ground, but he held him. Ben's TD was a TD and the relay showed the nose of the ball over the white strip ...

I will give them the call after the INT on the call on Hasselback ... that was a bad call.. but christ, how many calls throughout a game is a Questionable call or a bad call made ?
I mean, i didnt see the Seahawks making any obervations about TROY's INT that was taken away by replay no less when discussing the officials lol .. I odnt see sportscasters or radio personalities continously saying that IF Brady didnt get his re do .. then the PATS might not have any SUPERBOWLS and Brady might not even be the QB in NE and Vinetary might not acually be MR HERO if not for that call.

Love all the points. Let's face it, the only reason people are still point crap out about the SB is that the Steelers won and other than Steelers Nation, everyone else wanted the first time to the big dance seababies to win!

ARKIESTEEL
08-16-2006, 01:09 PM

I got to say this is where I stand as well.

Hawk Believer
08-16-2006, 02:37 PM
It pleases me to see the players are taking responsibility for what they failed to do last year. With our franchise history (or lack therof) these guys could sit back and act like they were happy with achieving what they did last year. They could get sucked into the blame the ref mentality and say that they were good enough, they were just screwed over.

But every interview I hear in camp seems to show that they haven't fallen into that trap. They all say that last year wasn't good enough; they need to be better. Thats obvious if they want to contend again. Even Shaun Alexander says he needs to do better this year.

So at any rate, I have been impressed by the players attitude. Hopefully what they are a saying will be consistant with what happens on the field. I think we are positioned well to make another run at home field advantage.

As I said before in this forum, I think Holmgren did an incredible disservice to his team and fans by being so public about his opinions on the ref. Its outrageous to me that the players are better role models for leadership than the coach. If the Hawks get focused on things they can't control, the window of opportunity with this team will be gone before we know it.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Props to Hasselbeck.The guy is man-ing up...unlike Holmgren who probally is still grumbling about the refs.

Elvis
08-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Holmgren... hmmmmmmm
Hasselback... When he left GB a few years back I thought I would love to have seen him in Pittsburgh... And I honestly think he would have been a good fit in PA... He is a man and has my respect.... someone that keeps cryin' about the refs like Holmgren has... is just ashamed... I respect the Seahawks as a whole team.. they were not that mouthy in the Super Bowl... You have to admit that our team especially on DEE... has alot of loud chatters and that "Is all I got to say about that"
God Bless
Elvis

Parker39
08-25-2006, 01:08 AM
http://www.nosnivelling.com/uploaded_images/Seattle%20Whine-736972.jpg

Stillers#1
08-25-2006, 01:27 AM
It pleases me to see the players are taking responsibility for what they failed to do last year. With our franchise history (or lack therof) these guys could sit back and act like they were happy with achieving what they did last year. They could get sucked into the blame the ref mentality and say that they were good enough, they were just screwed over.

But every interview I hear in camp seems to show that they haven't fallen into that trap. They all say that last year wasn't good enough; they need to be better. Thats obvious if they want to contend again. Even Shaun Alexander says he needs to do better this year.

So at any rate, I have been impressed by the players attitude. Hopefully what they are a saying will be consistant with what happens on the field. I think we are positioned well to make another run at home field advantage.

As I said before in this forum, I think Holmgren did an incredible disservice to his team and fans by being so public about his opinions on the ref. Its outrageous to me that the players are better role models for leadership than the coach. If the Hawks get focused on things they can't control, the window of opportunity with this team will be gone before we know it.

It's refeshing to hear that from a 'hawks fan. I havee nothing but respect for you Hawk, you (unlike the Hakws fans in yahoo) have nothing but knowledge of football. You're more than welcome to talk football with me anytime. If your ever out and abut in Spokanee on a football sunday look me up in hero's and legends. I'll be the loud one with the joey porter jersey on.