PDA

View Full Version : Ken Whisenhunt for OC?

bubbletownwr88
01-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Would anyone else mind it if we essentially traded Todd Haley for Whisenhunt? I thought he ran a pretty balanced offense, but I don't know if he'd be willing to be demoted from a HC to an OC.

Hawaii 5-0
01-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Ben would mind, he doesn't like Whiz.

Steel Peon
01-11-2013, 09:09 PM
I personally have no problems with Haley so far, and he seems to run some well constructed plays. Our receivers are getting open and Ben's getting enough time to throw, so as soon as he's mostly on target and the ball starts being caught, I'd say we'll do pretty well on offense. The running lanes haven't been as open as I'd like to see, but we're close to getting the job done. Changing course at this point would not be what I'd want, even if we did get Whiz back, which I would say was not likely given that he'll be looking for an HC position somewhere, and they'll be looking for him.

harrison'samonster
01-11-2013, 09:12 PM
I don't mind Haley either, and would like to see him here for at least one more year. Would Whiz want to come back here and coach under Tomlin?

SteelersCanada
01-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Ben hates Wiz, so, no thanks.

NSMaster56
01-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Who doesn't Ben hate? :chuckle:

But seriously, if Haley does leave it would be an acceptable and logical move.

Problem is, between the Ben friction, the possible bad blood between Whiz and the Rooneys and Whiz essentially taking a 'demotion' to OC from HC when there are still position openings its seems extremely unlikely.

Hawaii 5-0
01-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Who doesn't Ben hate? :chuckle:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/266182/Arians.jpg

Blackout
01-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Not going to happen.

Love to see Norv though.

SteelersCanada
01-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Not going to happen.

Love to see Norv though.

Norv is going to Carolina to go coach with his kid. I can't say I blame him, either.

Blackout
01-12-2013, 12:34 AM
I thought the rumor right now (unless its been confirmed) is he will be the OC for the Browns.

JVip
01-12-2013, 01:17 AM
Norv is going to Carolina to go coach with his kid. I can't say I blame him, either.

Norv is going to the Brownies :banging:

wwhickok
01-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Whiz, no thanks. Personally I think we need an OC thatll let Ben do ALL the playcallingn n the field. Perhaos thatll prove to him that he isn't Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, that his skill set is different.

Steeler7BR
01-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Whiz, no thanks. Personally I think we need an OC thatll let Ben do ALL the playcallingn n the field. Perhaos thatll prove to him that he isn't Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, that his skill set is different.

Great idea to sent life lessons to Ben just to help us definitly not get near the Super Bowl the next couple of years. For that idea James, Troy maybe even Ryan should bust your a**

Hopefully I just get the idea of your post wrong.

teegre
01-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Norv is going to the Brownies :banging:

Yea, Scott is moving to Cleveland with his coach... and thus, so is Norv (his dad).

Fire Haley
01-12-2013, 12:37 PM
The Whiz is another failed head coach with the stink of losing on him - no thanks we just tried that with Haley to OC - epic fail

steelfury02
01-12-2013, 12:53 PM
i want a perfect OC that is 100% responsible for Ben's and the offenses successes. He will put a perfect game plan together that will let Ben be Ben, won't require him to become a student of the game, and put tons of points on the board by playing sandlot football

Even though that doesn't exist

Those thinking OC's are so expendable need to remember we don't have a plug-in situation - you aren't going to just get Haley's replacement and then we'll stop putting up a lot of points because Ben likes him more. Actually, if Ben likes him more, you can expect more of what we had under Arians.

That would be a huge disappointment, unless Ben finds his 4th quarter magic back and asks the defense to play at an all time elite level.

Not happening. Wake up Haley haters - there isn't much better out there.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-12-2013, 01:30 PM
If Haley does leave. I believe this time the steelers will keep it in house either with Kirby Wilson or fletcher. Wilson was said to be the favorite until his accident.

If you want some to let Ben be ben and him run the no huddle fletcher would make sense

If you want the return of the running game Wilson would make sense.

Who knows.

wwhickok
01-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Thee point of my post was that Ben seems as though he wants total control. If we have to replace Haley it has to be with someone who he can work with or someone who will stand up to Ben.

Fire Arians
01-12-2013, 02:35 PM
come on man

SteelersCanada
01-12-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't know about that. Let's look at this thing objectively for a second. You can either coach for a) Cleveland which, let's be honest here, is a fucking dump. There's nothing there, including a football team. On the other hand you have option b) Carolina. Not only do they have a legitimate franchise Quarterback - an elite one, in my opinion - and a future Hall of Fame receiver, there's a legitimate defense that can make stops when they're healthy. Plus, Charlotte is a nice city.

If Norv does go to Cleveland, I don't want someone that chooses Cleveland and Brandon Weeden over Cam Newton and Carolina being our offensive coordinator anyway. That could easily be the dumbest thing he's done in his coaching career if he does indeed head to Cleveland.

VaDave
01-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Interesting up in Cleveland pairing a HC, an offensive wiz with a West Coast background in Chudzinski, and down the field Norv........

IMO, old Norv was blessed with a pretty stacked team there in Dallas 20 years ago. Had a franchise QB in Aikman, probably one of the best offensive lines in NFL history, with Stepnowski, Allen, WIlliams, Tuina ( sorry about the spelling), and that fat guard that's now doing time ( can't think of his name at the momment), and what can you say about Emmett Smith, Jay Novachek, Michael Irvin......... Norv had a team alright, but since those boys hung 'em up, he's been he's been marginal.

No thanks..... IMO, Haley stays, and if we stay healthy, our O will be just fine.

Kanata-Steeler
01-12-2013, 03:01 PM
YES!,
that would be a very "Whize" choice for an OC, if Haley leaves the coop.
I don't really care if Ben would like it or not ?
It's NOT, nor has it ever been about Ben, it's ALWAYS about the Steelers' as a whole, as it always should be, and therefore must be.
:tt02:

wwhickok
01-12-2013, 03:02 PM
There is NOTHING Elite about Cam Newton.

Steeler7BR
01-12-2013, 03:06 PM
There is NOTHING Elite about Cam Newton.

yet. The potential is there!

SteelersCanada
01-12-2013, 03:24 PM
There's nothing elite about Cam Newton? I'm not going to argue here, but I suggest you look at who he's working with on offense and tell me that the things he accomplished isn't more impressive than what Luck did.

Cam has one receiver, a stable full of underachieving backs and no legitimate redzone threat other than himself. Also, a constantly banged-up defense that has been struggling for years now.

Oh, and not to mention, he had the highest quarterback rating from November 18th to the end of the season when Chuddy finally said 'alright, Cam, do whatcha gotta do' and let Cam be Cam. If he played on the Steelers, we'd have a 5000 yard 40 TD+ passer. He's ridiculous when he's given the chance to be and sadly, wasn't under Chud.

GoFor7
01-12-2013, 03:50 PM
YES!,
that would be a very "Whize" choice for an OC, if Haley leaves the coop.
I don't really care if Ben would like it or not ?
It's NOT, nor has it ever been about Ben, it's ALWAYS about the Steelers' as a whole, as it always should be, and therefore must be.
:tt02:

Compared to how Whiz would feel about management and the Rooneys, he and Ben would look like best friends...

wwhickok
01-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Cam is very athletic and is impressive in what he can do. But he is a one trick pony, option pass.

Kanata-Steeler
01-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Cam Newton, ..., If he played on the Steelers, we'd have a 5000 yard 40 TD+ passer. He's ridiculous when he's given the chance to be and sadly, wasn't under Chud.

I love these predictions, but that depends on the O-Line that the QB is behind.
Anyway, back to the Whize, with ALL the bountiful experience under his belt, Whiz would be a great OC, we'd probably get those "passer" predictions 'outta Ben, as mentioned above.

Unfortunately, it's startin' to look like Whiz may be going to the Brown's ?

GoFor7
01-12-2013, 03:56 PM
I love these predictions, but that depends on the O-Line that the QB is behind.
Anyway, back to the Whize, with ALL the bountiful experience under his belt, Whiz would be a great OC, we'd probably get some a "passer" as mentioned above outta ben.
Unfortunately, it's startin' to look like Whiz may be going to the Brown's ?

I guess you haven't paid much attention to the NFL over the past few days....

Kanata-Steeler
01-12-2013, 04:01 PM
I guess you haven't paid much attention to the NFL over the past few days....

Oh, ok, sry, fill me in.

Hawaii 5-0
01-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Oh, ok, sry, fill me in.

Report: Norv Turner to join Browns

Updated: January 12, 2013
ESPN.com news services

Former San Diego Chargers coach Norv Turner is set to become the Cleveland Browns' offensive coordinator, according to a report by the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

The Plain Dealer, citing a source, reports the Browns will also hire a defensive coordinator to replace Dick Jauron.

Turner was fired as Chargers coach after a 7-9 season, the team's third straight outside of the playoffs. The Chargers are the third team to fire Turner, who has an overall head-coaching record of 114-122-1.

Rob Chudzinski, who spent the past two seasons as Carolina's offensive coordinator, was introduced as the Browns' sixth full-time coach on Friday.

"Having the assistant head coach experience where I spent all the time with Norv and saw all the things he had to do, I've been around the people who've given me the opportunities to see what it takes to be a great head coach and hopefully I can put all those things together and get that done," Chudzinski said at his introductory news conference.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8838297/norv-turner-become-cleveland-browns-offensive-coordinator-according-report

mlr458
01-12-2013, 07:22 PM
but I don't know if he'd be willing to be demoted from a HC to an OC.

Dick LeBeau did, and look how that turned out. :tt04:

austinfrench76
01-12-2013, 07:30 PM
I said this on another Whiz thread, there's just NO way he comes back. No matter if Ben didn't hate him, Tomlin loved him, the Rooney's offered him a ton of money. Bouchette wrote about it on an article I found on sulia. Whiz and Grimm felt like they were lied too by the organization and made to feel they were going to be the next head coach. More Grimm than Whiz but he also felt betrayed. Haley is fine. Wait till next year...