PDA

View Full Version : Stop kidding youselfs; Flacco is solid.

The_Joker
01-12-2013, 08:40 PM
I hate him, you hate him, we all hate him, but c'mon. The man has won far to many playoff games in a short period of time for him to be labeled solid.

Still not as good as Ben though.

BrandonCarr39
01-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Well, he's better than Tony Romo. Romo's only won ONE playoff game in his 10 year career. Flacco's been to the playoffs every year, and won at least 1 playoff game each time.

OX1947
01-12-2013, 08:59 PM
The amount of care for this thread and the person you are talking about is lower then zero.

The_Joker
01-12-2013, 09:03 PM
The amount of care for this thread and the person you are talking about is lower then zero.

Enough for you to post obviously.

SteelersCanada
01-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Quack, bro, you and I usually see eye-to-eye with everything but this is a joke. His big plays weren't a result of his ability, it came when an error was made by the Broncos defense. His biggest play was Rahim Moore fucking up so big and giving up a 70 yard TD on a play that should have been intercepted.

He's not for real but there's a chance he could be the luckiest quarterback in the NFL.

Fire Arians
01-12-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm never going to give him any credit, I'm sipping the haterade and he's a goofy looking ************

lardlad
01-12-2013, 09:15 PM
I don't like him. I mean I like him less than rayray. I don't know why though.

Gotta say he can go down field.

The_Joker
01-12-2013, 09:21 PM
he's a goofy looking ************

No shit bro.

:sofunny:

ZoneBlitzer
01-12-2013, 09:30 PM
He's got a huge arm. That throw to Jones looked like it covered 80 yards.

ZoneBlitzer
01-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Quack, bro, you and I usually see eye-to-eye with everything but this is a joke. His big plays weren't a result of his ability, it came when an error was made by the Broncos defense. His biggest play was Rahim Moore fucking up so big and giving up a 70 yard TD on a play that should have been intercepted.

He's not for real but there's a chance he could be the luckiest quarterback in the NFL.

I disagree with that. You need to be good to be lucky and he's good. I've seen him do enough damage to have respect for his abilities. Sooner or later you've got to give the opponent some credit and take the homer blindfold off.

dez09231
01-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Who said he isnt solid? Hes a slightly above average QB on a good team who is good enough physically to be competitve and win games, but too weak mentally to ever really be anything other than Captain Almost.. He's perfect. Too good to get someone else, but not good enough to be the man. There is a reason why they havent paid him.

Edman
01-12-2013, 09:56 PM
More like this topic needs to stop kidding itself.

Joe Flacco has had solid performances before, but the truth of the matter here is that he's very inconsistent. He played like shit last week. There's a reason why Baltimore hasn't thrown a ton of money at him.

Baltimore's chances depend on which Joe Flacco shows up. For their luck Bad Joe hasn't shown up just yet.

WVABE
01-13-2013, 05:20 AM
Showing up in the AFC championship game on a consistant basis, I'd say he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

He may not be in the elite statis but I think the W's in the post season speak for themselves.

Now I can't wait to watch them get picked apart next week.

Steeler7BR
01-13-2013, 06:12 AM
Didn't read one of the comments here but I can't believe what this thread is about.

Did he play very well yesterday, yes. Wasn't that impressive though. He benefited from sloppy defense in the final drive of the 4th quarter and at the beginning on the long pass to Torrey. What was really good? The Drive at the end of the half that was really one hell of a masterpiece and nobody couldn't do better. 80 yards in 3 plays just impressive. The other Touchdown I don't remember right now. But the rest, take away the big plays where you can't give him that much credit for like I said the drive at the half which was impressive, he had really just a very average day. Completing I don't know 50% of his passes maybe. Wasn't a real threat for me of winning the game by starting at the own 20 yard line so please.

I don't know whats written about Flacco here on the board all the time because I'm a member not that long here but we all know he is no scrub. But is he a great Quarterback, also not. Give him credit where credit is deserved. He played good last night and is part of the team who goes to the Conference Championship. Thats impressive but he is in no sence a very good Quarterback maybe a little more then above average but I don't give him more, period.

One Thing I have to say though that just freaked me out last night. The defensive Interference by Cary Williams. I really just snapped there. Common really you gave him that play sliding with his legs into Thomas and no Ref sees it? You're kidding me right. Just ridiculous. Hated him the whole game as that happend. Celebreated every catch and every call against Willliams that game.

Unkindness
01-13-2013, 06:51 AM

Joe Flacco has had solid performances before, but the truth of the matter here is that he's very inconsistent. He played like shit last week. There's a reason why Baltimore hasn't thrown a ton of money at him.

Baltimore's chances depend on which Joe Flacco shows up. For their luck Bad Joe hasn't shown up just yet.

This I agree with. We never know what Joe what show up. Its talked about around here often. (A lot has to do with the O line. He needs time and doesn't handle a collapsing pocket well.) He can be brilliant or play like an amateur.

TRH
01-13-2013, 07:46 AM
The thread is right.
Solid? Yes, he is. No question.
Among the best QB's in the league, though? No.

I agree with some of the above comments. You never know which one is going to show up. Also, If he gets pressured by a defense, he's below average. We've seen that time and time again.

Atlanta Dan
01-13-2013, 07:58 AM
He played very well and the Ravens are now going to have to pay him even more $$ to bring him back while figuring out how to also pay Ray Rice - yesterday's game costing the Ravens more $$$ is the only good thing to come out of that game

plenewken
01-13-2013, 08:29 AM

Ben is consistent? I've seen him play like sh*t too, and not too long ago.
I don't agree that Baltimore's chances on Offense depend largely on Flacco. I would say less than us w/ Ben.
They have a much stronger running game than us. Rice is much more dangerous than any of our RBs and he proved it many times.

The difference between the 2 teams is essentially the Defense, year in and year out.

Fire Haley
01-13-2013, 08:41 AM
At least the Ravens aren't ascared of throwing the ball deep - I'll give them that.

We need a real OL - stop wasting money on defense, they can't score 40.

wwhickok
01-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Flacco had success last night due to poor defensive play by Denver. Period. He is not clutch. He is not solid. He earned a new contract and the Ravens will regret it.

plenewken
01-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Flacco had success last night due to poor defensive play by Denver. Period. He is not clutch. He is not solid. He earned a new contract and the Ravens will regret it.

He also had success because they can also run the ball effectively, something we can't do anymore.

pete74
01-13-2013, 09:25 AM

Defenses make mistakes during every game. There is no perfect defense out there. The good QBs are the ones that can take advantage of the defenses mistakes and Flacco did that yesterday.
I have seen wallace and Brown both burn the secondary before and Ben not get the ball to them like Flacco did yesterday. I have seen Flacco miss his target before as well but yesterday when it mattered he was on so don't try and take credit from him just because he plays in our division

i82much
01-13-2013, 10:29 AM
This thread is amazing. The posts about Flacco's inconsistency are fair enough, but the posts criticizing his play yesterday as "lucky" are shockingly ungrounded in reality. How about the 3rd down throw to Pitta when they were backed up in the end zone? The back shoulder throw to Torrey when Champ had good coverage on him? And he played great in the Colts game too.

It is all well and good to point to Flacco's flaws, he has had his share of bad games, he is susceptible to the strip sack, etc. But you really, really have to be kidding me to criticize yesterday's effort.

Vis
01-13-2013, 11:23 AM
He's a very good QB on a hated team. He has enough flaws for us to pick on. That's what we choose to do. It's more fun than neutral analysis.

ZoneBlitzer
01-13-2013, 11:36 AM
He's a very good QB on a hated team. He has enough flaws for us to pick on. That's what we choose to do. It's more fun than neutral analysis.

Yeah I'm a sports radio kind of guy. I like sports and I love football and I can appreciate a good athlete even if they are on another team.

There are a lot of great players in the NFL. What separates them is what's btw the ears.

GMU Steeler
01-13-2013, 11:49 AM
You never know what you're going to get with him is the thing. Honestly, I thought he outplayed Brady last year in the AFC Championship game but the Evans drop and Cundiff missed FG cost them the game. The thing is I still don't expect consistent play from him. I think he's the most enigmatic QB in the game because his extremes really are that high. And as for yesterday, I do agree that he benefited from the Denver secondary making mistakes but that is part of the game and on the Broncos more than him in the end. He's not "elite" like what he said but few really are. I'd probably rather have him than Peyton in the playoffs though at this point.

i82much
01-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Two words - Bryant McKinnie.

mikegrimey
01-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Of course he's solid
Some of the comments about him here aren't surprising though, considering its a steelers board. Bitter rivals aren't known for impartial, fair evaluations of each other, I recall one guy once claiming James farrior was a greater ILB than ray lewis

Edman
01-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Ben is consistent? I've seen him play like sh*t too, and not too long ago.
I don't agree that Baltimore's chances on Offense depend largely on Flacco. I would say less than us w/ Ben.
They have a much stronger running game than us. Rice is much more dangerous than any of our RBs and he proved it many times.

The difference between the 2 teams is essentially the Defense, year in and year out.

Ben isn't consistent either. Right now I say he's degraded to Flacco's Level.

The big X factor for the Ravens on Offense is that they have a respected running game, the Steelers do not. A good majority of the playoff teams this year can RUN the ball effectively.

Baltimore has Rice, Seattle has Lynch, Atlanta Has Turner, The Niners have Gore, and the Texans have Foster.

Kanata-Steeler
01-13-2013, 12:42 PM
... against a Defense with gigantic hole in its deep safeties, aka Chump Bailey & Co., it's 2ndary,..., was abosulte crap, except for their run-D, but basically, the rest of the bronco's "D" was swiss-chesse.
So ya, I guess in that case, Flacco was "solid". ? -ya whatever.

Ricco Suavez
01-13-2013, 01:15 PM
I have always thought Flacco was a solid QB, maybe even a top ten in league QB. First he has for the most part had solid line play, and a good running game, (Rice is a top 5 RB), his defense has helped him with score producing plays. But lets do not overlook his throws into traffic that result in PIs or like last night a completion with less than a minute that should of been defended easily. If Ben threw as many boneheaded passes he would be blasted more than he is. Flacco is a big armed QB that somtimes looks very good and then he has games were he goes 12-27 and 150 yds and you just scratch your head.

kent
01-13-2013, 01:58 PM
You take Ray Rice out of that offense and they're not even a playoff team. Flacco has to lead the league in checkdowns.

kent
01-13-2013, 02:08 PM
You take Ray Rice out of that offense and they're not even a playoff team. Flacco has to lead the league in checkdowns.

dez09231
01-13-2013, 02:08 PM
My gut feeling as of this second:

Tier 1 - "Elite":

Brady
Brees
Rodgers

Tier 2 - Near "elite", teams will be Super Bowl contenders more years than not:

Manning
Manning
Roethlisberger

Tier 3 - More than happy with what you have:

Griffin
Ryan
Stafford

Tier 4/5 - Homers call them "elite", no one else does. Capable of performing very well, but generally middle-of-the-pack:

Cutler
Flacco
Freeman
Luck
Newton
Rivers
Romo
Smith
Schaub
Wilson
Vick

Tier 6 - Young but not overly impressive so far/small body of work/very low end starters that would be better as high-end backups:

All Ari and KC QB's
Dalton
Fitzpatrick
Foles
Kapernick
Locker
Palmer
Ponder
Tanehill
Weeden

Tier Dookie:

All KC and Arizona QB's
Gabbert
Sanchez

Flacco is a top 10-15 guy to me. That's not as a Steelers fan, that's just how I see it rationally. He's in that category of guys that can be special but aren't amazing. Those two tiers I just lumped together because most of those guys are about the same, and I don't see any of them winning the Super Bowl with as good as they are right now. Of course some can get better, especially the younger guys, but most of those guys are interchangeable. If the Texans woke up with Flacco instead of Schaub they wouldn't be doing backflips. If Dallas had Flacco instead of Romo, they'd still be about 9-7 every year. They aren't anything special, but most of those guys aren't going anywhere because there is no one better to replace them.

lloydwoodson
01-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Anyone hating on Flacco is hating on the old Flacco - 1 TD 6 ints in his first 2 playoffs. 12 tds 2 ints in his last 3 playoffs.

The question is who is the best qb in the AFC North? Is it Joe Flacco... or is it Andy Dalton?

Roethlisberger to Baltimore for Joe Flacco and a 2nd round pick? Anyone?

:rofl:

And that kids... is how you troll homers.

SteelersCanada
01-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Brees was tied for the most interceptions with Luck - a rookie - yet he's put over Roethlisberger because he passed for more yardage? That's great. They're both not in the playoffs and in fact, the Saints had a worse year.

I don't understand the logic behind Brees being put ahead of Ben.

PhantomJB93
01-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Flaccid got so lucky yesterday. His receivers couldn't have been more open. Nobody's talking about it but he horribly underthrew Jones on the last TD, Jones had to slow down tremendously on his route to get it, but the Broncos defender was even more incompetent and fell down leaving Jones open. Could have easily been picked if Denver's secondary wasn't so horrendous. Flaccid also missed two easy TD's to Torrey Smith who should have had an even more crazy day than he did.

I still will not give him credit, he had everything set up for him so perfectly. Any above average QB would have dropped 50 on the Broncos yesterday and set playoff passing records.

lloydwoodson
01-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Brees was tied for the most interceptions with Luck - a rookie - yet he's put over Roethlisberger because he passed for more yardage? That's great. They're both not in the playoffs and in fact, the Saints had a worse year.

I don't understand the logic behind Brees being put ahead of Ben.

When the Saints won the superbowl they had the 26th best defense in the NFL... and the best offense.

New Orleans has finished 1st in total yards 4 times and 1st in points twice since Brees joined the Saints in 2006 (the same year Roethlisberger led the league in interceptions- but he threw for 18 tds not 43).

Pittsburgh has not finished top 5 in yards or points under Roethlisberger.

Contrary to popular belief, Brees has not been surrounded by talent. His offensive lines have been very poor and stocked with late draft picks and free agents. Ben Grubbs at LG is the only 1st round round pick on that line. The most help Brees has had has been from Reggie Bush and from his tight ends Shockey and Graham. None of his receivers would have been a number one on the Steelers at any time during Roethlisberger's career.

Every time I watch a Saints game the stat line comes up "Brees has completed a pass to 9 different receivers."

Maybe the most amazing thing is that in the Saints down-the-field passing attack Brees still managed to complete 71% of his passes last season (and he actually throws balls away instead of taking sacks). That's not easy to do on your way to 5476 yards and 46 TDs but he did it.

I hope these reasons shed some light on why Brees is better than Roethlisberger.

PhantomJB93
01-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I don't think the difference between Brees and Ben is as large as some say. And while I don't believe Ben only wins because of our defense as his detractors say, at the same time, if he had a defense as bad as the Saints, his team would go well under .500. Brees is a better decision maker and only has a lot of interceptions because he attempts a lot more passes in the first place.

i82much
01-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Flaccid got so lucky yesterday. His receivers couldn't have been more open. Nobody's talking about it but he horribly underthrew Jones on the last TD, Jones had to slow down tremendously on his route to get it, but the Broncos defender was even more incompetent and fell down leaving Jones open. Could have easily been picked if Denver's secondary wasn't so horrendous. Flaccid also missed two easy TD's to Torrey Smith who should have had an even more crazy day than he did.

I still will not give him credit, he had everything set up for him so perfectly. Any above average QB would have dropped 50 on the Broncos yesterday and set playoff passing records.

This post is a perfect example of how bias can obscure rational thought. Nothing that you have said makes any sense in any objective universe. That said, I hope it made you feel good to type this.

harrison'samonster
01-13-2013, 06:33 PM
This post is a perfect example of how bias can obscure rational thought. Nothing that you have said makes any sense in any objective universe. That said, I hope it made you feel good to type this.

are you talking to yourself?

TRH
01-13-2013, 06:37 PM
in response to the comments about Brees (the ultimate stat-padder) - i think he's good....very good......but in reality, he attempts alot more passes than Ben - or any QB for that matter. At times when i watch a Saints game, i feel like every single play from offense was a pass play. It's ridiculous.

PhantomJB93
01-13-2013, 07:14 PM

Really? The only thing I said that wasn't remotely "objective" was my last statement about dropping 50, which was an opinion, albeit one I do believe.

It is a fact his receivers were ridiculously wide open all day. Champ Bailey played by far his worst game in a decade+ long HOF career. It is a fact Flaccid missed several throws for easy TD's to Smith, but luckily his receivers made two lucky plays later in the game to make him look better.

It is a fact he underthrew Jones and simply re-watching the play should provide enough evidence of that. I have no idea what the Broncos defender was doing on the play but he made a weird jump and tripped over himself, all he had to do was keep running and easy pick or at least deflection. Jones burned the initial coverage and it should have been a TD, and it was, but Flaccid made it way harder than it needed to be. The defender who tripped should have never even had a chance to make a play on the ball, but he did and should have.

Flaccid played an average game where all he had to do was chuck the ball up in the air and his receivers had all the time they wanted to adjust and make the catch. He never hit anyone in stride, or in a tight window, or did anything that remotely resembled good QB play other than being able to throw the ball within 10 yards of his receiver. If the Broncos secondary was even just mediocre the Broncos win that game, but they were bellow abysmal.

ZoneBlitzer
01-13-2013, 07:20 PM
My gut feeling as of this second:

Tier 1 - "Elite":

Brady
Brees
Rodgers

Tier 2 - Near "elite", teams will be Super Bowl contenders more years than not:

Manning
Manning
Roethlisberger

Tier 3 - More than happy with what you have:

Griffin
Ryan
Stafford

Tier 4/5 - Homers call them "elite", no one else does. Capable of performing very well, but generally middle-of-the-pack:

Cutler
Flacco
Freeman
Luck
Newton
Rivers
Romo
Smith
Schaub
Wilson
Vick

Tier 6 - Young but not overly impressive so far/small body of work/very low end starters that would be better as high-end backups:

All Ari and KC QB's
Dalton
Fitzpatrick
Foles
Kapernick
Locker
Palmer
Ponder
Tanehill
Weeden

Tier Dookie:

All KC and Arizona QB's
Gabbert
Sanchez

Flacco is a top 10-15 guy to me. That's not as a Steelers fan, that's just how I see it rationally. He's in that category of guys that can be special but aren't amazing. Those two tiers I just lumped together because most of those guys are about the same, and I don't see any of them winning the Super Bowl with as good as they are right now. Of course some can get better, especially the younger guys, but most of those guys are interchangeable. If the Texans woke up with Flacco instead of Schaub they wouldn't be doing backflips. If Dallas had Flacco instead of Romo, they'd still be about 9-7 every year. They aren't anything special, but most of those guys aren't going anywhere because there is no one better to replace them.

Interesting tier breakdown. But I got to say there are a lot of talented QBs in the league these days. I've been following football for years and I have never seen this many good QBs in the league.

NSMaster56
01-13-2013, 11:30 PM
One of my buddies is an avid Flacco supporter/defender.

We discussed him at length last night and agreed that he's very good, probably on the cusp of the top-10 QB's in the league or at the end of the list (somewhere between #'s 8 and 12---better than Romo, probably even above Matty Ice).

He got mad when I said Luck was better than him though, but was hesitant when I asked the hypothetical:

If you put Luck on the 2012 Ravens do they still win 10 games? More or less?
If you put Flacco on the 2012 Colts do they still win 11 games? More or less?

Irregardless of that...

Until Flacco makes a Super Bowl he's another Danny White or Bernie Kosar.

Until he wins one he's another Donovan McNabb.

NSMaster56
01-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Dez's rankings pretty much nailed it (and his avatar is full of win too!)

i82much
01-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Really? The only thing I said that wasn't remotely "objective" was my last statement about dropping 50, which was an opinion, albeit one I do believe.

It is a fact his receivers were ridiculously wide open all day. Champ Bailey played by far his worst game in a decade+ long HOF career. It is a fact Flaccid missed several throws for easy TD's to Smith, but luckily his receivers made two lucky plays later in the game to make him look better.

It is a fact he underthrew Jones and simply re-watching the play should provide enough evidence of that. I have no idea what the Broncos defender was doing on the play but he made a weird jump and tripped over himself, all he had to do was keep running and easy pick or at least deflection. Jones burned the initial coverage and it should have been a TD, and it was, but Flaccid made it way harder than it needed to be. The defender who tripped should have never even had a chance to make a play on the ball, but he did and should have.

Flaccid played an average game where all he had to do was chuck the ball up in the air and his receivers had all the time they wanted to adjust and make the catch. He never hit anyone in stride, or in a tight window, or did anything that remotely resembled good QB play other than being able to throw the ball within 10 yards of his receiver. If the Broncos secondary was even just mediocre the Broncos win that game, but they were bellow abysmal.

Whatever makes you feel good. Enjoy the offseason.

SteelersCanada
01-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Hey, Ravens fans, you have more important things to worry about than coming on here and commenting on this thread. Like, how you hope Bill and Brady at least have the common courtesy to lube up before bending Harbaugh and Ray over this weekend.

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Hey, Ravens fans, you have more important things to worry about than coming on here and commenting on this thread. Like, how you hope Bill and Brady at least have the common courtesy to lube up before bending Harbaugh and Ray over this weekend.

:rofl:

i82much
01-15-2013, 01:58 PM

And you have better things to do than comment on a football forum when your season is already over :tt02::tt02::tt02: <-- that right there is the "Ray Rice Edition Terrible Towel" BTW.

SteelersCanada
01-15-2013, 02:08 PM
And you have better things to do than comment on a football forum when your season is already over :tt02::tt02::tt02: <-- that right there is the "Ray Rice Edition Terrible Towel" BTW.

That was a snappy comeback. So, I'm commenting on a Steelers forum and talking Steelers football and I'm a Steelers fan. I'm sorry, I don't see why I shouldn't discuss Steelers topics on this site.

Nice try, though. Come back with something better than that or put your tail between your legs and walk away.

i82much
01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
That was a snappy comeback. So, I'm commenting on a Steelers forum and talking Steelers football and I'm a Steelers fan. I'm sorry, I don't see why I shouldn't discuss Steelers topics on this site.

Nice try, though. Come back with something better than that or put your tail between your legs and walk away.

Nah I'll stick around sugar plum. But hey, I'll try to stay out of the way if you decide to actually talk about ... the Steelers. But that wouldn't be very interesting given that they're not playing for about 9 more months ... hey - that gives you and big ben time to go make a baby! Maybe big ben will put something between your legs :tt::tt::tt::tt03::tt03::helmet::tt02::tt04::appla udit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:: hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff::sofunny::sofun ny::sofunny::sofunny::drink::drink:

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 02:37 PM

Haha, you get 'em SC. Is it me or is NEPatriots waaaaaay smarter than 90% of the Rats fans here?

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Nah I'll stick around sugar plum. But hey, I'll try to stay out of the way if you decide to actually talk about ... the Steelers. But that wouldn't be very interesting given that they're not playing for about 9 more months ... hey - that gives you and big ben time to go make a baby! Maybe big ben will put something between your legs :tt::tt::tt::tt03::tt03::helmet::tt02::tt04::appla udit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:: hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff::sofunny::sofun ny::sofunny::sofunny::drink::drink:

Maybe like Brady will put something between yours?

SteelersCanada
01-15-2013, 02:38 PM
It feels like I'm talking to a high school ex-girlfriend.

i82much
01-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Maybe like Brady will put something between yours?

Why not, he's prettier than anything I've ever seen in Pittsburgh :wink02:

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Why not, he's prettier than anything I've ever seen in Pittsburgh :wink02:

No wonder you want to be violated by the Pats again!

Also, I ain't a yinzer dipwit. *This thread has gone weird lol*

i82much
01-15-2013, 02:44 PM
No wonder you want to be violated by the Pats again!

Also, I ain't a yinzer dipwit. *This thread has gone weird lol*

Ah I'm just effin' around man. Some people enjoy trash-talking, some get butt-hurt, but I mean no harm.

SteelersCanada
01-15-2013, 02:45 PM
It hasn't gone weird, it's gone the direction of a sad Ravens fan that knows what's coming on Sunday. I'll take the Welker vs. Cary Williams match up all day, please. Oh, I'd also like a side of Hernandez being covered by Ray Lewis, too.

If the Texans' front 7 registered one sack on Brady (it was Watt, by the way) how the fuck are the Ravens front 7 going to get any pressure? Ngata is injured, Krueger is a joke and Suggs hasn't done anything since he's returned.

Pats 42 - Ravens 17.

also, I'm fucking around. I hate writing essays and this is my distraction.

:drink:

i82much
01-15-2013, 02:46 PM
It hasn't gone weird, it's gone the direction of a sad Ravens fan that knows what's coming on Sunday. I'll take the Welker vs. Cary Williams match up all day, please. Oh, I'd also like a side of Hernandez being covered by Ray Lewis, too.

If the Texans' front 7 registered one sack on Brady (it was Watt, by the way) how the fuck are the Ravens front 7 going to get any pressure? Ngata is injured, Krueger is a joke and Suggs hasn't done anything since he's returned.

Pats 42 - Ravens 17.

Feel tough now? Your daddy can beat up mine?

SteelersCanada
01-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Oh yeah, I'm an internet tough guy posting on Ravens' boards talking trash about the Steelers. Oh, wait a second.

i82much
01-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Oh yeah, I'm an internet tough guy posting on Ravens' boards talking trash about the Steelers. Oh, wait a second.

Enjoy the offseason.

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Ah I'm just effin' around man. Some people enjoy trash-talking, some get butt-hurt, but I mean no harm.

It's all good, all in the spirit of the game. I don't get offended.

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Enjoy the offseason.

Enjoy yours to, Brady is serving it up on a silver platter!

i82much
01-15-2013, 02:55 PM
It's all good, all in the spirit of the game. I don't get offended.

Cool man. I guess you can't really expect everyone to be super-friendly on the opposing team's boards. I thought I read a few of your posts on the Ravens board and you seemed pretty alright to me.

SC - I don't really want to devolve any further here, you guys obviously have a great team and a great history, I look forward to our games next season and hopefully we can have some solid football discussions then. Seriously :drink:

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Cool man. I guess you can't really expect everyone to be super-friendly on the opposing team's boards. I thought I read a few of your posts on the Ravens board and you seemed pretty alright to me.

SC - I don't really want to devolve any further here, you guys obviously have a great team and a great history, I look forward to our games next season and hopefully we can have some solid football discussions then. Seriously :drink:

SC is a cool guy, I don't think he was being all that serious.

Anyways, there were some nice Ravens fans on 24x7 and the Official, but they were so many bad guys I was pushed out. Hell, on the OFFICAL FUCKING FORUM a mod banned me for saying "good game" after the game in Baltimore. No joke, I can go screen it. He also called me an asshole.

i82much
01-15-2013, 03:02 PM
SC is a cool guy, I don't think he was being all that serious.

Anyways, there were some nice Ravens fans on 24x7 and the Official, but they were so many bad guys I was pushed out. Hell, on the OFFICAL FUCKING FORUM a mod banned me for saying "good game" after the game in Baltimore. No joke, I can go screen it. He also called me an asshole.

Yeah the Ravens official board is always on hyper-clamp down mode. I think it can be fun to talk to opposing fans, it can be fun to do a little trash-talk, you just have to wind yourself down every now and again. But it's always tough to convey things lightheartedly in text, especially when the starting assumption is that you must be completely trolling to be on another team's board.

I thought the Flacco thread was interesting, so I posted. I had a few complimentary words for Charlie Batch a few months back. I mean, it's just football.

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Yeah the Ravens official board is always on hyper-clamp down mode. I think it can be fun to talk to opposing fans, it can be fun to do a little trash-talk, you just have to wind yourself down every now and again. But it's always tough to convey things lightheartedly in text, especially when the starting assumption is that you must be completely trolling to be on another team's board.

I thought the Flacco thread was interesting, so I posted. I had a few complimentary words for Charlie Batch a few months back. I mean, it's just football.

Funny, I got banned from those two Ravens forums, but the worst forum of all? Steelers ****ing Nation. Complete garbage. BungleStainRatbirdKilla.... oooooh man that guy rustled my jimmies.

i82much
01-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Funny, I got banned from those two Ravens forums, but the worst forum of all? Steelers ****ing Nation. Complete garbage. BungleStainRatbirdKilla.... oooooh man that guy rustled my jimmies.

Well, it is what it is I guess. They let you stick around here! And honestly, reading threads on your own team's board can get boring, I mean it's nice to take off the purple shades sometimes and see what other people think.

As far as Flacco goes, I guess we'll see. Certainly the last few games with McKinnie at left tackle and Caldwell calling the plays have given us reason to be hopeful that Flacco can achieve some consistency. I scratch my head at anyone that saw the Denver game and didn't think Flacco had a marvelous game. I would also scratch my head at anyone who expressed 100% certainty that he has turned the corner. It's really not that black-and-white, ya know?

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Well, it is what it is I guess. They let you stick around here! And honestly, reading threads on your own team's board can get boring, I mean it's nice to take off the purple shades sometimes and see what other people think.

As far as Flacco goes, I guess we'll see. Certainly the last few games with McKinnie at left tackle and Caldwell calling the plays have given us reason to be hopeful that Flacco can achieve some consistency. I scratch my head at anyone that saw the Denver game and didn't think Flacco had a marvelous game. I would also scratch my head at anyone who expressed 100% certainty that he has turned the corner. It's really not that black-and-white, ya know?

Yeah because most everyone here isn't an idiot. We don't like the purple shades around here bub. :bringit:

i82much
01-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah because most everyone here isn't an idiot. We don't like the purple shades around here bub. :bringit:

Yeah well ... what if I'm wearing them RIGHT NOW!!! With a Terrible Towel draped over my head, Little Ray style ... :helmet:

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Yeah well ... what if I'm wearing them RIGHT NOW!!! With a Terrible Towel draped over my head, Little Ray style ... :helmet:

23-20. That's what the towel does ;)

PhantomJB93
01-15-2013, 07:56 PM

Nice job addressing any of the points I made :blah:

BleedPurple
01-15-2013, 10:47 PM

He hit Smith in stride, twice. Missed once. Once is not several. Maybe you should rewatch the game?

The throw he made to Jones he was stepping up in the pocket and bombed it 60 yd through the air without setting his feet. If you are trying to argue arm strength or accuracy of the deep ball--you don't watch enough football, Flacco is one of the best in the league at the deep ball. His problem is pocket awareness and decision making. How many 30+ yd plays did the broncos hit that weren't 85% YAC? Oh yea none.

They were the number 2 defense all year, but when Flacco plays them they turn into the Buffalo Bills? I don't buy it. Flacco has a 120.0 QB rating in the post season so far, deal with it--the guy is good enough (not great) in the regular season, and very good in the playoffs.

i82much
01-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Nice job addressing any of the points I made :blah:

Well, ok - sure. I thought you were pretty off-base about Flacco underthrowing his receivers. Sometimes those things are intentional, giving the receiver a chance to come back to the ball. Teams practice that, one example is called a "back shoulder" throw.

And to suggest that any above-average QB would have dropped 50 on Denver because their secondary is so bad strikes me as absolute lunacy. If Denver's secondary is so bad, why didn't four or five QB's drop 50 on them during the regular season?

lloydwoodson
01-16-2013, 09:10 PM
Let's talk about the real issue with Joe Flacco... his facial hair.

Why does he model his moustache after the gay biker from the Village People?

And is he going to let his unibrow grow back and does he shave or wax it?

ZoneBlitzer
01-16-2013, 09:38 PM
He hit Smith in stride, twice. Missed once. Once is not several. Maybe you should rewatch the game?

The throw he made to Jones he was stepping up in the pocket and bombed it 60 yd through the air without setting his feet. If you are trying to argue arm strength or accuracy of the deep ball--you don't watch enough football, Flacco is one of the best in the league at the deep ball. His problem is pocket awareness and decision making. How many 30+ yd plays did the broncos hit that weren't 85% YAC? Oh yea none.

They were the number 2 defense all year, but when Flacco plays them they turn into the Buffalo Bills? I don't buy it. Flacco has a 120.0 QB rating in the post season so far, deal with it--the guy is good enough (not great) in the regular season, and very good in the playoffs.

I agree. His deep ball might be the best in the league. That throw he made to Jacoby was monstrous. He actually overthrew the coverage and got Jones to chase it down.

Also his first half throw to Smith down the middle was a thing of beauty as well.

When you can generate such explosive plays on the field, you've got a great shot at beating anybody.

(As an aside, you guys must've went absolutely nuts on that Jones catch...I know I would have.)

dez09231
01-16-2013, 11:46 PM
The dude does have a monster arm. That's really his saving grace.

JeromeBetties63
01-17-2013, 02:00 AM

Like you have every single offseason since 2000? and will again after Sunday? Note to Ratbird fans, your little franchise having a year or two where you happen to advance a bit further than us doesn't change a thing. You are still our little brothers and you will never catch us. :hatsoff:

JeromeBetties63
01-17-2013, 02:29 AM

HIs pick should have cost the game. Let's face it, the bomb was prayer. It was a fluke that would happen about 1 out of 40 or 50 similar game situations. Not saying the Ravens aren't a good team...but that play was a close your eyes and hope fluke...period. If it doesn't happen, I have been on your board, you and 99% of Ravens fans would be calling for Tyrod taylor to start and six coaches to resign.

I followed the game thread in your forum against Denver. No exaggeration, there were at least 40 "game over" type comments before the start of the 4th quarter. People hate on and cuss out their own team and players in there like no where else. And the ref blaming is epic. What a crock...Denver had way more penalties than the ravens yet there were dozens and dozens of comments saying the refs were giving broncos the game. Its a joke. Take your flacco and your AFCC loss to the Pats on Sunday and go home.

JeromeBetties63
01-17-2013, 02:31 AM
Let's talk about the real issue with Joe Flacco... his facial hair.

Why does he model his moustache after the gay biker from the Village People?

And is he going to let his unibrow grow back and does he shave or wax it?

Pittsburgh Dad, "His eyebrow got credit for a third down conversion.":rofl:

The_Joker
01-17-2013, 04:40 AM
Like you have every single offseason since 2000? and will again after Sunday? Note to Ratbird fans, your little franchise having a year or two where you happen to advance a bit further than us doesn't change a thing. You are still our little brothers and you will never catch us. :hatsoff:

Amen. They will never, ever, ever catch up to us in SB rings.

i82much
01-17-2013, 10:21 AM

Hey - the thread kind of took a nicer turn between Ravens & Steelers fans, I'd like to keep that going. So instead of shooting back - I'll agree, you guys have a great history and it would be very, very tough to catch you in Super Bowl Rings.

I would say this - Baltimore has 2 pre-Superbowl Championships from the Unitas-led colts and two Super Bowls as well. I know as a city we are very proud of all those teams. I cannot say either the Colts or Ravens organizations exceed the Steelers accomplishments, but I can say that Baltimore has a very proud football history.

JeromeBetties63
01-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Hey - the thread kind of took a nicer turn between Ravens & Steelers fans, I'd like to keep that going. So instead of shooting back - I'll agree, you guys have a great history and it would be very, very tough to catch you in Super Bowl Rings.

I would say this - Baltimore has 2 pre-Superbowl Championships from the Unitas-led colts and two Super Bowls as well. I know as a city we are very proud of all those teams. I cannot say either the Colts or Ravens organizations exceed the Steelers accomplishments, but I can say that Baltimore has a very proud football history.

Honestly, I could root for the Ravens to win this thing if it wasn't for their fans. It wouldn't bother me to see Ray and Ed go out with a ring. But the Ravens fans drive me nuts with ref conspiracies and throwing their team under the bus on every bad play.

i82much
01-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Honestly, I could root for the Ravens to win this thing if it wasn't for their fans. It wouldn't bother me to see Ray and Ed go out with a ring. But the Ravens fans drive me nuts with ref conspiracies and throwing their team under the bus on every bad play.

Well, I've learned to be careful about that. I could make a bunch of generalizations about Steelers fans based on what I see on the internet, what I see out in public from people I don't know, etc. It wouldn't be very accurate, though. The people I have actually met and gotten to know that are Steelers fans are pretty good people - they just have terrible taste in football teams :sofunny:

I try to be careful how much I get carried away with stuff I read on forums. It's an awfully slanted population sample, and if you do post as a fan of another team the immediate inclination is to think you are trying to be a complete d*ck. So I don't know what specific experiences you've had with Ravens fans, and I certainly don't want to do anything to lessen the rivalry, but the truth is Ravens fans are about the same anybody else, really.

BrandonCarr39
01-18-2013, 06:59 PM
QBs will always be under scrutiny until they win the Super Bowl. The same with the other leagues as well - Lebron was under scrutiny until the Heat won the NBA Title last year.

Look at Brett Favre - he continued to get a pass throughout his career b/c he won the Super Bowl early in his career.

JeromeBetties63
01-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Well, I've learned to be careful about that. I could make a bunch of generalizations about Steelers fans based on what I see on the internet, what I see out in public from people I don't know, etc. It wouldn't be very accurate, though. The people I have actually met and gotten to know that are Steelers fans are pretty good people - they just have terrible taste in football teams :sofunny:

I try to be careful how much I get carried away with stuff I read on forums. It's an awfully slanted population sample, and if you do post as a fan of another team the immediate inclination is to think you are trying to be a complete d*ck. So I don't know what specific experiences you've had with Ravens fans, and I certainly don't want to do anything to lessen the rivalry, but the truth is Ravens fans are about the same anybody else, really.

I am a member of the official Ravens board. I followed the whole game thread during the Broncos game. I cant tell you how many times different people said, "game over." I'm talking long before the 4th quarter. Also, they bash their own players a lot....stupid comments about how horrible Kruger is or Jacoby drops one ball so he sucks and on and on and on.

Also, there is constant ref blaming. I made one post during the whole game. It was after about six complaints of refs I simply posted that at that point in the game it was Broncos 9 penalties for 69 yards, Ravens 3 penalties for 30 yards. But this ref blaming is never ending. One of the moderators in there actually argued with me that it's not how many penalties but it is when and where they are called. As if refs are saying, "this is a key moment, we have to stop the Ravens or help the Broncos." Many Ravens fans are firmly convinced that there is at least a sub conscious bias for the Steelers. They have made this argument to me over and over during the past few years that I have worked in Ravens country.

I live in the York, PA area. I see Steeler gear all the time. Even now I see Steeler gear. I wore my Steeler gear to the store the day we got knocked out of contention. I saw fellow Steeler fans everywhere. We all said, "we will get em next year." When Ravens lose, there is no purple to be seen, When they win, it's everywhere. Freaking fair weather fans.

Finally, there is the obsession with people who are Steeler fans that the Ravens fans think are from the Baltimore area. They just loathe any Steeler fan that they think (usually wrongly) doesn't have a legit connection to the Burg. I was born in Pittsburgh but live in SC PA now and spend a lot of time in Maryland. I go to the games in Baltimore and the whole time people scream at me, "Go back to Towson." I didn't even know what the heck they were talking about when I first started going. I can honestly say I have been treated far worse in Baltimore than when I have attended games in Cleveland and Cincy. I was at the game in 09 when we lost in Cleveland. Wasn't treated near as nasty as when I go to Baltimore....truly, not even close.

Sure, there are bad fans everywhere but here is why I think the things above happen and that Ravens fans are worse at these two things than many other teams. 1) They have come so close and lost with good teams many times the last few years. They are looking for someone to blame for this....namely, the refs. (Or temporarily hate your own good team who gave you the hope) 2) They hate the success of the Steelers and for the most part ,have no respect for Steeler fans. Especially, the new or uniformed Ravens fans.

i82much
01-19-2013, 04:31 PM
I am a member of the official Ravens board. I followed the whole game thread during the Broncos game. I cant tell you how many times different people said, "game over." I'm talking long before the 4th quarter. Also, they bash their own players a lot....stupid comments about how horrible Kruger is or Jacoby drops one ball so he sucks and on and on and on.

Also, there is constant ref blaming. I made one post during the whole game. It was after about six complaints of refs I simply posted that at that point in the game it was Broncos 9 penalties for 69 yards, Ravens 3 penalties for 30 yards. But this ref blaming is never ending. One of the moderators in there actually argued with me that it's not how many penalties but it is when and where they are called. As if refs are saying, "this is a key moment, we have to stop the Ravens or help the Broncos." Many Ravens fans are firmly convinced that there is at least a sub conscious bias for the Steelers. They have made this argument to me over and over during the past few years that I have worked in Ravens country.

I live in the York, PA area. I see Steeler gear all the time. Even now I see Steeler gear. I wore my Steeler gear to the store the day we got knocked out of contention. I saw fellow Steeler fans everywhere. We all said, "we will get em next year." When Ravens lose, there is no purple to be seen, When they win, it's everywhere. Freaking fair weather fans.

Finally, there is the obsession with people who are Steeler fans that the Ravens fans think are from the Baltimore area. They just loathe any Steeler fan that they think (usually wrongly) doesn't have a legit connection to the Burg. I was born in Pittsburgh but live in SC PA now and spend a lot of time in Maryland. I go to the games in Baltimore and the whole time people scream at me, "Go back to Towson." I didn't even know what the heck they were talking about when I first started going. I can honestly say I have been treated far worse in Baltimore than when I have attended games in Cleveland and Cincy. I was at the game in 09 when we lost in Cleveland. Wasn't treated near as nasty as when I go to Baltimore....truly, not even close.

Sure, there are bad fans everywhere but here is why I think the things above happen and that Ravens fans are worse at these two things than many other teams. 1) They have come so close and lost with good teams many times the last few years. They are looking for someone to blame for this....namely, the refs. (Or temporarily hate your own good team who gave you the hope) 2) They hate the success of the Steelers and for the most part ,have no respect for Steeler fans. Especially, the new or uniformed Ravens fans.

I guess everyone has a right to their opinion, that's about as positive a response as I can muster. Truth is, Steelers fans aren't extra-special awesome, and Ravens fans aren't extra-special terrible. It may feel that way sometimes, heck sometimes I think people on this board are ridiculously harsh for no good reason. But then, you meet a cool guy in a Steelers jacket in the bar, have a couple beers and give each other some crap, and realize why you have to be really careful about judging people for superficial things.

steel striker
01-19-2013, 07:20 PM
He is a good qb but, he has a big arm then he throws prayers deep and, either gets caught for a big play or gets the PI. He is up and down alot let's see what he does tomorrow in his biggest game of his life. He did outplay Brady AKA Precious in last years AFCCG.

JeromeBetties63
01-20-2013, 03:16 AM
I guess everyone has a right to their opinion, that's about as positive a response as I can muster. Truth is, Steelers fans aren't extra-special awesome, and Ravens fans aren't extra-special terrible. It may feel that way sometimes, heck sometimes I think people on this board are ridiculously harsh for no good reason. But then, you meet a cool guy in a Steelers jacket in the bar, have a couple beers and give each other some crap, and realize why you have to be really careful about judging people for superficial things.

Go on your own board and mention the bias toward the Steelers...watch what happens. Then mention a bias toward the Ravens in here....watch what happens. To be honest, I don't know that I have ever read a single post in here that says there is an NFL bias toward the Ravens...but it shows up dozens and dozens of times every season on the Ravens board. So, again, yes, there are good and bad fans for every team....but there is a "ref" disease in baltimore land.

Plus, my comments about my experience are not "opinions." I think the Ravens are a very good team. They have had a bunch of success without winning the big one...this has created paranoia (NFL or refs are against us) and schizophrenia (I love our team one second, our team sucks the next second) in their fans....

mikegrimey
01-20-2013, 05:53 AM
The "ref bias" excuse plagues all fandoms, in every sport, for every team. For the steelers it comes in the incarnation of claiming the NFL commissioner has a grudge against them and plots their downfall on the field, a number of steelers fans are convinced the patriots receive special treatment too.
Theres always some fans from any team will do this, it's a pretty common complaint people make, don't know why.

JeromeBetties63
01-20-2013, 05:11 PM
The "ref bias" excuse plagues all fandoms, in every sport, for every team. For the steelers it comes in the incarnation of claiming the NFL commissioner has a grudge against them and plots their downfall on the field, a number of steelers fans are convinced the patriots receive special treatment too.
Theres always some fans from any team will do this, it's a pretty common complaint people make, don't know why.

No. Ravens fans are worse. Fact.

mikegrimey
01-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Only if the word fact is meant to mean something completely other than what it actually means could your statement be considered true.

SteelersCanada
01-20-2013, 08:29 PM
He's doing an average job against a secondary without Talib - he's not for real.

BleedPurple
01-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Amen. They will never, ever, ever catch up to us in SB rings.

Probably true. And with only an 80 year head start!

EDIT: 80 year head start as a franchise, only 45 years since superbowl I. Muuuuch smaller head start. Hopefully we will be in a dead heat in a couple of weeks, if you count from 1996. . .

dez09231
01-20-2013, 11:02 PM

EDIT: 80 year head start as a franchise, only 45 years since superbowl I. Muuuuch smaller head start. Hopefully we will be in a dead heat in a couple of weeks, if you count from 1996. . .

Franchise existed before 96. Changing names and moving doesn't negate that. But, congrats to you, as one of the few Ravens fans who carries themselves like a man, I'm happy that you broke through after getting close over and over. Enjoy the next two weeks good sir.

GMU Steeler
01-20-2013, 11:08 PM

Only as a measurement for the past seventeen years but overall no because the Ravens weren't an expansion team. Anyhow, congrats to your team tonight. I'll admit here. I was really cheering (okay honestly more so cheering against the Pats) for the Ravens once I thought hard about it when I put on the game in the second half. Still undecided who I want in the SB. Niners having six SBs or a hated division rival having one. It's going to be a great game though.

BleedPurple
01-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Thanks to both of you.

I am honestly looking forward to another battle for the North next year. It's good to be in a division with tight competition, the regular season never gets dull.

I will have to disagree on tying our history to the Browns, the Browns still exist in Cleveland, and for a Baltimore native I can say that we tie our football history to the Colts, not the Browns.

i82much
01-21-2013, 04:57 PM
No. Ravens fans are worse. Fact.

Not to be too harsh, but there are plenty of Ravens fans who would say the same about Steelers fans, and I have as little faith in their opinions on the matter as I do yours.

ZoneBlitzer
01-21-2013, 05:39 PM
When I saw Flacco first emerge into the league and play against the Steelers I wasn't too thrilled. You could see that the guy had a huge arm and great poise in the pocket. Still he's not a big stats guy and his completion percentage is generally too low.

But you can't deny how he performs when the chips are down. He's right in the midst of his prime and the road win record is indicative of that. He raises his game in the playoffs and that's the most important thing. The guy is currently having an impressive run.

Blackout
02-04-2013, 12:01 AM
Still not Elite

CTSxViper
02-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Still not Elite

He is an deal with it...

GMU Steeler
02-04-2013, 12:11 AM
Elite's a stupid term anyhow. There I said that. No one was talking about Tom Brady being elite when he won his Super Bowls but when NE became a more pass first offense, that's when that talk started and yes I know Spygate and NE's defense slipping since then but you get my point. Not taking anything away from Flacco. He's a very good QB which is fine and enough. Elite is the best of the best. I don't think Flacco is there yet because I do feel he is still sometimes too inconsistent but he is a better QB than I thought. Still rather would have Roethlisberger over him but Flacco's good at what he does and I hope the Ravens make him a very wealthy man.

CTSxViper
02-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Elite's a stupid term anyhow. There I said that. No one was talking about Tom Brady being elite when he won his Super Bowls but when NE became a more pass first offense, that's when that talk started and yes I know Spygate and NE's defense slipping since then but you get my point. Not taking anything away from Flacco. He's a very good QB which is fine and enough. Elite is the best of the best. I don't think Flacco is there yet because I do feel he is still sometimes too inconsistent but he is a better QB than I thought. Still rather would have Roethlisberger over him but Flacco's good at what he does and I hope the Ravens make him a very wealthy man.

I understand your point. And to an extent I agree. Your Ben is your QB and of course you will stand behind him. But Joe Flacco took Baltimore all the way this year and won in near impossible odds with everyone against us and saying our season would end at Broncos, at New England etc.. And we beat all odds and Joe brought us there. :applaudit:

VictoryFormation
02-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Flacco is not a bad quarterback. He was a first round pick. But, he is still bouncing passing to his receivers. What's more amusing is that they are actually catching his passes on the one-hop, hoping to fool the Refs. As he continues to develop as a QB, he'll rank up there, but I don't think Flacco will ever be among the elite. He throws a nice tight spiral, but his long passes aren't that accurate. And a lot of the time, his short passes have too much on them for the receiver to handle. Like many quarterbacks that are not elite, Joe Flacco lacks certain, key passing skills and he may never develop them.

Bayz101
02-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Ray Rice didn't get near 100 yards rushing and his defense nearly gave up one of the biggest leads in Super Bowl history and they STILL won the Super Bowl.

Flacco's performance today was probably better than any of Ben's performances, so honestly, it's hard for me NOT to give him credit. He deserves it.

Elite? Fuck that.

There's tons of great QB's playing the game, but when I think of elite, I think of guys like Bradshaw and Montana. Not Peyton Manning and Drew Brees with their combined 2 Super Bowl wins.

But, since I go by rings, my list would have to go like this.

I just hate Brady so much my fingers may not allow me to type it out. :chuckle:

1. Tom Brady
2. Ben Roethlisberger
3. Eli Manning
4. Peyton Manning
5. Drew Brees

ZoneBlitzer
02-04-2013, 01:03 AM
He was elite today. He was also elite in the playoffs. 11 TDs and no INTs is pretty elite. He wins in the post season and that makes him elite in my books. When you win more than you lose in the playoffs, you're elite.

plenewken
02-04-2013, 06:28 AM
Ben has never played in a Superbowl the way Flacco played yesterday,
Ben has never been voted SB MVP and didn't deserve it either.
That's for on-the-field criterias

Now, let's talk about off-the-field criterias
Flacco doesn't run his mouth the way Ben does
Flacco hasn't been accused of 2 sexual assaults

After this season, Flacco ranks ahead of Ben, no question. Career wise? Ben still has an edge but it's not a big one and the gap is narrowing very quickly.

Oh, and whoever ranked Ben #2 QB at this point needs to pass around what he's smoking.

Kanata-Steeler
02-04-2013, 06:56 AM

After this season, Flacco ranks ahead of Ben, no question. Career wise? Ben still has an edge but it's not a big one and the gap is narrowing very quickly.

Oh, and whoever ranked Ben #2 QB at this point needs to pass around what he's smoking.

...as much as I hated saying thankyou, I sadly agree with the above.

Ben's got to make some major inward changes, with solidly focused commitments, to this "new" Offenseive strategy being cooked up by Haley.
...and If Ben doesn't ?, then he himself will be the one who's cooked for yet another downfall season...

Wearing the same "rose-colored:-fan's" glasses simply ain't gonna cut it next season.
It's better to be respectfully critical, and somewhat accurate, than the alternatives.

steelerchad
02-04-2013, 08:46 AM
I think Flacco brought himself into top 7 consideration with this playoff run. Overall, he wasn't great this season, but the postseason was almost flawless. He's taken over guys like Romo, Rivers, Ryan. But he's really the next guy on the list until he does it a little more consistently. But I'd say he's gone from top 12 to top 7 now.
Brady
P. Manning
Rodgers
Brees
Ben
E. Manning
Flacco

I'm not just talking this year obviously, but entire body of work.

Atlanta Dan
02-04-2013, 09:28 AM

Agreed about running his mouth - Flacco had major issues with Cam Cameron as offensive coordinator but did not engage in the constant passive-aggressive bullshit like Ben did with regard to Arians and Haley- Ben should have focused his efforts on telling the Young Money WRs to shut up and play, but if the veteran QB has a me first attitude the younger players are going to follow that attitude

And Flacco has never missed a snap - injuries are freaky but a starting QB not missing games every season counts for something

Flacco had a great post-season - based on both current performance and age Ben needs to step it up to be regarded as the best QB in the AFC North

fansince'76
02-04-2013, 10:36 AM

Right...

“We didn’t come out and play like we wanted in the second half, obviously,” Flacco said, via CSNBaltimore.com. “I think there have been games this year when we’ve come out throwing the ball because we’ve been down a lot, and you (reporters) have all complained about it. Now, this week we kind of came out and we honestly played conservative. And when we didn’t, we missed a couple plays, whether it was a drop or a missed throw here (or there).

“I wish you guys would help me out a little bit and start complaining a little bit that we play a little too conservative and put pressure on our coaches to not do that.”

http://thepurplechaos.com/2011/12/28/flacco-calls-out-cam-camerons-conservative-play-calling/

On Wednesday, Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco raised a few eyebrows when he admitted the team's hurry-up offense probably would go a bit faster if he were calling his own plays instead of looking to the sidelines and waiting for offensive coordinator Cam Cameron to send in the play. One of the Ravens most glaring weaknesses in their two losses this season has been their inability to move the ball quickly when they got down two scores and were trying to rally.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-10-27/sports/bal-cam-cameron-says-flacco-can-call-plays-20111027_1_ravens-quarterback-joe-flacco-cam-cameron-quarterback-and-coordinator

And don't even get me started on his "I'm the best QB in the NFL" proclamation.

dez09231
02-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Flacco has proven himself. I don't know what all was said in here, but the guy has proven that he's a winner. I don't think I would put him over Ben for a whole season, but I would rather have Flacco in a playoff run.

The_Joker
02-04-2013, 11:38 AM
7th best.

I rest my case.

dez09231
02-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I say he's 4-6th. Second tier, along with Peyton and Ben.

Justp94
02-04-2013, 02:11 PM
I hate him, you hate him, we all hate him, but c'mon. The man has won far to many playoff games in a short period of time for him to be labeled solid.

Still not as good as Ben though.

He's solid at times, he really showed that by stepping up in the playoffs. However, during the regular season he was great at home and HORRIBLE on the road putting up high school QB numbers. If he gets that huge contract this offseason then he has to prove he can be consistent.

GMU Steeler
02-04-2013, 02:37 PM
He's solid at times, he really showed that by stepping up in the playoffs. However, during the regular season he was great at home and HORRIBLE on the road putting up high school QB numbers. If he gets that huge contract this offseason then he has to prove he can be consistent.

Yeah, that's the crazy thing. He gets beat by Charlie Batch this year and then wins it all. He's better than I thought he was I concede but I'm with you, I think he still needs to prove he's consistent. That doesn't mean I think he's a bad or even average QB but it's a fair question.

Atlanta Dan
02-04-2013, 02:44 PM
A lot of life is out of your control (what if Archie Manning had played for the Steelers and Bradshaw had played for the Saints in the 1970s - who would be in Canton then?) - if the Denver DB does not have a brain freeze at the end of regulation the question asked about Flacco would not be whether he is elite but whether the Ravens need another QB to win it all

But instead Flacco had one of the best QB post-seasons in NFL history

Questions I Never, Ever Thought I Would Have to Ask for $200, Alex

Did Joe Flacco just have the best playoffs of any quarterback we've ever seen?

Not joking. This is a conversation that absolutely needs to be had. The Flacchise has numbers that place him into that discussion, and if anything, the numbers might underrate how good he's been during these playoffs.

Let's start with the numbers, though, because they're staggering. Flacco finished the postseason having gone 73-of-126 (57.9 percent) for 1,140 passing yards with 11 touchdowns and zero interceptions. Eleven to zero. Only one other player since the merger has produced a touchdown-to-interception ratio equal to or better than that in the playoffs, and it's a guy who has a pretty sterling postseason reputation: Joe Montana.

Montana's 1989 season pretty clearly stands out to me as the greatest postseason run since 1970, but I've gone ahead and listed some other notable Super Bowl–winning postseasons that might put Flacco's big January into context:...

The article has a chart tat i could not cut and paste

Whatever adjectives you want to attach to Flacco are a matter of personal preference. I just know that there are a lot of "elite" quarterbacks who will never have a playoff run as good as the one Joe Flacco just delivered — and that labels often find themselves obstructed, for better or worse, by the Super Bowl ring on a quarterback's finger.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8912868/bill-barnwell-puts-ravens-win-perspective

jacobo
02-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Can't wait to see how good he is without Boldin and Jones. $20 mil a year? Welcome to cap hell Baltimore.

And people suggesting he's better than Ben, shut up. Few qbs with as little talent as Ben have won as much as he has. Since 05 the worst offensive line in the league. Never had a legit number 1 except Plax for like four games in his first year (I love Hines but he's not a prototypical 1: height, speed etc), a few good years from Willie but not a great runningback past that, an offensive coordinator that didn't know shit about subtly and protecting him, and another that's too scared to take shots down the field when they have chances. Put Brees, Manning, Brady, Flacco (lol, would just love to see that) in Pittsburgh and Ben in any of their situations. He'd put up 5000 yards a year with 40 tds and consistently win 13 games every year with bunches of Lombardis.

He's good, no doubt. Brees money good? Nope. Brees isn't even deserving of that contract, let alone Flacco.

BleedPurple
02-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Can't wait to see how good he is without Boldin and Jones. $20 mil a year? Welcome to cap hell Baltimore.

And people suggesting he's better than Ben, shut up. Few qbs with as little talent as Ben have won as much as he has. Since 05 the worst offensive line in the league. Never had a legit number 1 except Plax for like four games in his first year (I love Hines but he's not a prototypical 1: height, speed etc), a few good years from Willie but not a great runningback past that, an offensive coordinator that didn't know shit about subtly and protecting him, and another that's too scared to take shots down the field when they have chances. Put Brees, Manning, Brady, Flacco (lol, would just love to see that) in Pittsburgh and Ben in any of their situations. He'd put up 5000 yards a year with 40 tds and consistently win 13 games every year with bunches of Lombardis.

He's good, no doubt. Brees money good? Nope. Brees isn't even deserving of that contract, let alone Flacco.

So Big Ben is more talented than Tom Brady / Payton Manning, he just doesn't have the O-Line?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :wave:

Big Ben is a talented QB with a mediocre work ethic and he will never be in the same conversation as Tom Brady. Neither will Flacco, but at least I'm not delusional.

EDIT: And how is your o-line supposed to protect Ben when he holds on to the ball for 10+ seconds while trying to find a receiver? The guy is KNOWN for extending plays, which is great for his personal glory but when 50% of his sacks are coverage sacks it makes his line look worse than it is.

jacobo
02-05-2013, 05:18 PM
No, Big Ben is better than Manning (just about as good as Brady, can't really differentiate at that point) because he's had way less talent and way more success. Pretty easy to see. Peyton's a choker who puts up pretty numbers through and through.

Oh, and I answered the second part in that post as well. His receivers aren't talented. They don't work to get open. His line is shit. Add that all together and you get him holding onto the ball. How much more anemic would our offense be if he didnt? We wouldn't score any point without him extending plays.

Mediocre work ethic? Maybe. Who knows what it would be like if he had a coach like Belichek or Dungy. But his talent is evident.

BleedPurple
02-05-2013, 05:29 PM
No, Big Ben is better than Manning (just about as good as Brady, can't really differentiate at that point) because he's had way less talent and way more success. Pretty easy to see. Peyton's a choker who puts up pretty numbers through and through.

Oh, and I answered the second part in that post as well. His receivers aren't talented. They don't work to get open. His line is shit. Add that all together and you get him holding onto the ball. How much more anemic would our offense be if he didnt? We wouldn't score any point without him extending plays.

Mediocre work ethic? Maybe. Who knows what it would be like if he had a coach like Belichek or Dungy. But his talent is evident.

His line is shit so he holds the ball? Doesn't make sense.

I can't carry on this convo any more because you show your homerism saying he is better than Manning. Honestly, Pittsburgh has enough talent to win a SB despite a bad performance from Ben, but Indianapolis COLLAPSED after Manning left.

2009: 14-2 with Manning, went to the superbowl.

2010: 10-6, went to the playoffs.

2011: 2-14 OHMYGODWHATHAPPENED. Oh yea, no Manning. He was the team, he did NOT have more talent than Ben, who has enjoyed a good receiving core, stable HC, and oh yea let's see one of the best defenses in the league for most of his career.

jacobo
02-05-2013, 05:43 PM
If he gets rid of the ball it potentially results in a turnover because his receivers are small and unwilling and unable to get open most of the time (no legit number 1 receiver) .Turning the ball over is worse than a sack. So he uses his natural ability to run around, avoiding tackles to allow his receivers to try to get open and complete balls. Understand?

Absolutely no shades on right now actually. This team is pretty mediocre. Ben's easily the best thing we have on it

And about Manning, I'm not denying he's great and a hall of famer, but he's certainly overrated by the media, and I'm assuming that's where you're getting your opinions from. The Colts were awful that year because the team was going downward for a few years beforehand, and him being a great quarterback that they relied on alot, couldn't cope with everything falling apart at once. Thus they had a bad season. And it wasn't really that bad tbh. They played hard the entire time with decent talent but just couldn't overcome all their holes.

Receivers:

Manning: Harrison, Wayne, Stokely, Clark, Thomas, Decker, Garcon (and not to mention the second best runningback of his era in James)

Ben: Ward, Miller..... uhhh, Cedrick Wilson? Nate Washington was alright here but nowhere near as good as he is in Ten. uhhhhhh, young money? The core who can't hold onto balls, get open, jump, fight for position, and routinely have retarded mental lapses?

But yeah, Ben's had "good" receivers. Name a number 1. Please, I'd love to know.

And stable HC lol. Tony Dungy isn't good enough for you? Not to mention how great Moore was as an OC. By the time Dungy was gone he was able to run the offense without any need of a good HC.