PDA

View Full Version : Watching these playoff games has convinced me

BowCatShot
01-12-2013, 10:37 PM
that football is simply no longer a sport.

It's a performance. At first I suspected same. Now it's obvious.

Know what I mean?

Vis
01-12-2013, 10:42 PM
tin foil sale?

Blackout
01-12-2013, 10:53 PM
What?

Vis
01-12-2013, 10:56 PM
He's suggesting it's all scripted. RGIII got a bonus for the pretend surgery.

SteelersCanada
01-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Someone close this.

Atlanta Dan
01-12-2013, 11:34 PM
that football is simply no longer a sport.

It's a performance. At first I suspected same. Now it's obvious.

Know what I mean?

No - if it was scripted Peyton and Green Bay would have won because keeping Peyton and Green Bay in the playoffs would draw higher ratings next week

Another Peyton-Brady matchup would have drawn in the casual viewer

Gnutella
01-12-2013, 11:45 PM

Fuck the casual viewer.

BrandonCarr39
01-12-2013, 11:51 PM
No - if it was scripted Peyton and Green Bay would have won because keeping Peyton and Green Bay in the playoffs would draw higher ratings next week

Or ESPN/FOX Sports will get big ratings this week for going 24/7 over Peyton underperforming in the playoffs yet again.

Another Peyton/Brady matchup in the playoffs? Not really...b/c it will be yet another one of those generic sequels noone will care about.

ZoneBlitzer
01-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Today's games were entertaining. Last weekend sucked aside from the Hawks Skins game.

Atlanta Dan
01-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Fuck the casual viewer.

Tell that to CBS -ratings drive the rights fees that pay the NFL's bills - it's a business

Fire Arians
01-13-2013, 12:24 AM
of course the last ride of O.J. Lewis would draw ratings too

BrandonCarr39
01-13-2013, 12:41 AM
of course the last ride of O.J. Lewis would draw ratings too

+1

There are many more creative storylines the NFL and the networks can have other than Peyton/Brady. Again, another matchup between the 2 is yet another one of those generic, bubble-brained sequels Sylvester Stallone used to churn out.

OTOH, the "building up" of Ray Lewis's "bad image" from yesteryear could be a nicer storyline, as you mentioned.

Kanata-Steeler
01-13-2013, 10:46 AM
... to ONLY gamble using no more than a roll-of-nickels !!!
:(

NSMaster56
01-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Watching these playoffs has convinced me that we're trying to turn reality into a video game.

183 rushing yds by a QB?!

This is the NFL, not TECMO bowl!

harrison'samonster
01-13-2013, 09:17 PM
+1

There are many more creative storylines the NFL and the networks can have other than Peyton/Brady. Again, another matchup between the 2 is yet another one of those generic, bubble-brained sequels Sylvester Stallone used to churn out.

OTOH, the "building up" of Ray Lewis's "bad image" from yesteryear could be a nicer storyline, as you mentioned.

I hear Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot Again is in pre-production.

NSMaster56
01-13-2013, 09:28 PM
... to ONLY gamble using no more than a roll-of-nickels !!!
:(

This, this, this, this, THIS!

If I had a roll of nickels for every busted three team tease/parlay I've had this year...

Well, finish THAT sentence! :doh: :chuckle:

BrandonCarr39
01-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Is it just me, or do some of these games in recent years just feel like a dog and pony show?

No, not saying they are "fixed" per se, but take the Seattle/Atlanta game today. Why in the world did Atlanta just take their feet off the gas pedal in the 4th quarter(until that last drive)? This isn't the first time Mike Smith has done so in his coaching career(even though he's undefeated when leading going into the 4th). Even Wade Phillips rarely ever does this with his teams.

Again, just saying.

NSMaster56
01-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Is it just me, or do some of these games in recent years just feel like a dog and pony show?

No, not saying they are "fixed" per se, but take the Seattle/Atlanta game today. Why in the world did Atlanta just take their feet off the gas pedal in the 4th quarter(until that last drive)? This isn't the first time Mike Smith has done so in his coaching career(even though he's undefeated when leading going into the 4th). Even Wade Phillips rarely ever does this with his teams.

Again, just saying.

Eh...

When considering the ebbs and flows of each game, it's easy to see why team(s) won.

The Broncos lost because the Ravens adjusted their gameplan to exploit Denver's weaknesses and because they didn't make many mistakes.

Atlanta won because Seattle failed to execute (specifically in the first half).

Even if there is 'funny business' in the NFL, there doesn't appear to be any obvious Tim Donaghy like shenanigans.

steel striker
01-19-2013, 08:25 PM
We all know in the AFC the NFL wanted Brady VS P. Manning but, you don't always get what you want.