PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Steelers by Position

kent
01-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Just wanted to do a just for fun thing ranking the all time Steelers by position. Just curious to see everyone's opinions. Im just gunna do my top 3 but feel free to add more.

QB- 1. Bradshaw (4 Rings)
2. Roethliberger
3. ?

RB- 1. Bettis
2. Harris
3. Foster

WR- 1. Ward
2. Swann
3. Stallworth

TE- 1. Miler
2. Green
3. ?

OL- 1. Webster
2. Dawson
3. Faneca

DL 1. Greene
2. Greenwood
3. Hampton (been good his whole career)

LB 1. Lambert
2. Ham
3. Lloyd
This one has so many options, hard to choose

DB- 1. Woodson
2. Polamalu
3. Blount

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-14-2013, 01:56 AM
Roethlisberger > Bradshaw
Number 3 QB would be O'Donnell

Swann and Stallworth > Ward

Harris > Bettis

Elbie Nickel would be the number 2 tight end followed by Green at three

Blount > Polamalu

kent
01-14-2013, 03:12 AM
Roethlisberger > Bradshaw
Number 3 QB would be O'Donnell

Swann and Stallworth > Ward

Harris > Bettis

Elbie Nickel would be the number 2 tight end followed by Green at three

Blount > Polamalu

O'Donnell was my 3rd choice till the images of him and his best friend Larry Brown flashed in my head.

lloydwoodson
01-14-2013, 04:46 AM
2. Roethliberger
3. ODonnell

RB- 1. Harris
2. Bettis
3. Parker

WR- 1. Ward
2. Swann
3. Stallworth

TE- 1. Miller
2. Green
3. Bruener

OL- 1. Webster
2. Dawson
3. Faneca

DL 1. Greene
2. Stautner
3. Greenwood

LB 1. Lambert
2. Ham
3. Harrison

DB- 1. Polamalu
2. Blount
3. Woodson

kent
01-14-2013, 04:54 AM
2. Roethliberger
3. ODonnell

RB- 1. Harris
2. Bettis
3. Parker

WR- 1. Ward
2. Swann
3. Stallworth

TE- 1. Miller
2. Green
3. Bruener

OL- 1. Webster
2. Dawson
3. Faneca

DL 1. Greene
2. Stautner
3. Greenwood

LB 1. Lambert
2. Ham
3. Harrison

DB- 1. Polamalu
2. Blount
3. Woodson

Totally forgot about Mark Breuner!

lloydwoodson
01-14-2013, 05:11 AM
Totally forgot about Mark Breuner!

Ya definitely the old school tight end. Not one of these ***** new tight ends that can't block- he was basically a lineman that caught 20 passes a season. :sofunny:

FrancoLambert
01-14-2013, 06:20 AM
KENT

Please explain your rationale/reasons for placing BB ABOVE Bradshaw.
It does not compute.

StevieRayVol
01-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Louis Lipps was a great WR.
Randy Grossman was a clutch TE.
Donnie Shell was an all time great at Safety ( The Human Torpedo_
Carnell Lake was a great safety.
Kevin Greene was a great OLB..
Tunch Ilkin, John Jackson, Jeff Hartings, Leon Searcy...were all great if not service able offensive linemen. Jon Kolb was great, Can't forget Sam Davis and Ray Mansfield.

Mike Merriweather was a great OLB...Andy Russell endured losing then the 1st Super Bowl...

Lots of great Steelers down through the years..

kent
01-14-2013, 09:21 AM
KENT

Please explain your rationale/reasons for placing BB ABOVE Bradshaw.
It does not compute.

Im not sure im understanding what you're saying since I placed Bradshaw as the #1. That was simply because of the 4 rings. If Ben gets one more, Id probably say he is the greatest Steeler QB because Bradshaw had a stud D and stud backs/recievers.

FrancoLambert
01-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Im not sure im understanding what you're saying since I placed Bradshaw as the #1. That was simply because of the 4 rings. If Ben gets one more, Id probably say he is the greatest Steeler QB because Bradshaw had a stud D and stud backs/recievers.

MY BAD KENT, :hatsoff:

My comment was directed to Neil-Still-Rules. He has BB over Terry. :doh:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-14-2013, 08:44 PM
MY BAD KENT, :hatsoff:

My comment was directed to Neil-Still-Rules. He has BB over Terry. :doh:

I just think Ben is so much superior to Bradshaw. Bradshaw was a gunslinger who happened to be on one of the greatest assemblies of talent in NFL history. His statistics (particularly pertaining to accuracy and efficiency) are leaps and bounds better. He has better numbers as far as leading his team back from a deficit. The ONLY claim Bradshaw has is 1 more Super Bowl appearance and 2 more titles. And really, he only played particularly well in SB 13. Even still, he was one Jackie Smith drop away from losing that same game! It also so happens he won the MVP in 1978, so you could say his 1978 season was by far his best. Otherwise, his career numbers, including in the playoffs, were very pedestrian. Ben is a true franchise QB. He has the stats, the playoff wins, the clutch drives, and the SBs. Terry Bradshaw got benched in the middle of his career for God's sake!

torpedoshell31
01-14-2013, 09:51 PM
I just think Ben is so much superior to Bradshaw. Bradshaw was a gunslinger who happened to be on one of the greatest assemblies of talent in NFL history. His statistics (particularly pertaining to accuracy and efficiency) are leaps and bounds better. He has better numbers as far as leading his team back from a deficit. The ONLY claim Bradshaw has is 1 more Super Bowl appearance and 2 more titles. And really, he only played particularly well in SB 13. Even still, he was one Jackie Smith drop away from losing that same game! It also so happens he won the MVP in 1978, so you could say his 1978 season was by far his best. Otherwise, his career numbers, including in the playoffs, were very pedestrian. Ben is a true franchise QB. He has the stats, the playoff wins, the clutch drives, and the SBs. Terry Bradshaw got benched in the middle of his career for God's sake!

It's a tough choice, but I guess I would lean very slightly towards Ben. I still remember Bradshaw during their first Super Bowl year actually dropping to 3rd string behind Joe Gilliam and Terry Hanratty. After sitting and watching a few games, he turned his career around and became a great QB.
As an old-timer, my 3rd QB would be Bobby Layne, John Henry Johnson would have to be on the list and I always liked Benny Cunningham at TE.

lloydwoodson
01-14-2013, 10:06 PM
I just think Ben is so much superior to Bradshaw. Bradshaw was a gunslinger who happened to be on one of the greatest assemblies of talent in NFL history.

Roethlisberger also had one of the greatest assemblies of talent: Ward, Holmes, Miller, Wallace, Brown on offense and one of the best defenses ever.

His statistics (particularly pertaining to accuracy and efficiency) are leaps and bounds better. He has better numbers as far as leading his team back from a deficit.

Roethlisberger's postseason rating is 83.7; Bradshaw's is 83.0. If you consider the fact that any passer rating over 80 was very good for Bradshaw's day and a rating of 90 was almost unheard of it shows that Bradshaw was actually more clutch.

The best QBs of Bradshaw's era had career ratings of Staubach 83, Tarkenton 80, Fouts 80 etc. You can't compare stats of the 70s NFL to now straight up.

Bradshaw holds the league record for most consecutive playoff games with 2 touchdowns at 7... he is tied with Joe Montana.

The ONLY claim Bradshaw has is 1 more Super Bowl appearance and 2 more titles. And really, he only played particularly well in SB 13. Even still, he was one Jackie Smith drop away from losing that same game!

Bradshaw is 4-0 in superbowls. Nothing wrong with that.

Roethlisberger played well in XLIII but he was one 100 yard int return away from losing that game, and his performance in XL was the worst ever by a winning QB.

It also so happens he won the MVP in 1978, so you could say his 1978 season was by far his best. Otherwise, his career numbers, including in the playoffs, were very pedestrian. Ben is a true franchise QB. He has the stats, the playoff wins, the clutch drives, and the SBs. Terry Bradshaw got benched in the middle of his career for God's sake!

Bradshaw being the league MVP can't be overlooked. Huge notch for him. Thanks for pointing that out. :wave:

TheVet
01-15-2013, 12:12 AM
I can't believe that some folks actually mentioned O'Donnell in this thread.

:doh:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-15-2013, 12:16 AM
Alright Bradshaw played with 8 HOFers (and not to mention a HOF Coach):

Joe Greene
Mel Blount
Jack Ham
Franco Harris
Jack Lambert
John Stallworth
Lynn Swann
Mike Webster

Ben Roethlisberger has played with probably two:

Hines Ward
Troy Polamalu

(I refuse to count Bettis since Ben only played two seasons with him)

You mentioned the playoff efficiency stats but not the career marks. In that category, it is a monstrous difference.

Completion Percentage
Ben: 63.1%
Bradshaw: 51.9%

QB Rating
Ben: 92.7
Bradshaw: 70.9

Interception Percentage
Ben: 2.9%
Bradshaw: 5.4%

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-15-2013, 12:17 AM

It's pretty hard to argue he is the 3rd best QB in Steelers history, and before 2004 it was pretty hard to argue he was the 2nd best.

teegre
01-15-2013, 12:19 AM
It's pretty hard to argue he is the 3rd best QB in Steelers history, and before 2004 it was pretty hard to argue he was the 2nd best.

Did you watch XXX???

I have never spoken or written his name since that day. Get it?

That's like saying that Jerry Sandusky was Penn State's third best coach.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Did you watch XXX???

I have never spoken or written his name since that day. Get it?

Yeah, I remember the Steelers playing in the Super Bowl, something that had taken 16 years up to that point and took an additional ten years before they got back.

Also, it is worth noting that (for the one millionth time) Corey Holliday ran the wrong route.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-15-2013, 12:23 AM
That's like saying that Jerry Sandusky was Penn State's third best coach.

Yes, because throwing two INTs in the Super Bowl is extremely comparable to raping some little boys in a shower.

teegre
01-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Yeah, I remember the Steelers playing in the Super Bowl, something that had taken 16 years up to that point and took an additional ten years before they got back.

Also, it is worth noting that (for the one millionth time) Corey Holliday ran the wrong route.

He ran the wrong route... by 5 yards. But, that pass was 15 yards off-target.

Jerrah paid a huge amount for those two INTs.

teegre
01-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Yes, because throwing two INTs in the Super Bowl is extremely comparable to raping some little boys in a shower.

Tongue in cheek... because... OBVIOUSLY... throwing two INTs is far worse. :wink02:

TheVet
01-15-2013, 03:14 AM

Agreed 100% - but only because you just said the exact opposite of what you meant. Hmmm, maybe this is all a misunderstanding, and we can just chalk it up to a bit of fuzzy thinking?

Because obviously, there's a long, long list of Pittsbugh QBs better than O'Donnell...

VaDave
01-15-2013, 07:02 AM
Like Bobby Layne for instance......

lloydwoodson
01-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Alright Bradshaw played with 8 HOFers (and not to mention a HOF Coach):

Joe Greene
Mel Blount
Jack Ham
Franco Harris
Jack Lambert
John Stallworth
Lynn Swann
Mike Webster

Ben Roethlisberger has played with probably two:

Hines Ward
Troy Polamalu

(I refuse to count Bettis since Ben only played two seasons with him)

You mentioned the playoff efficiency stats but not the career marks. In that category, it is a monstrous difference.

Completion Percentage
Ben: 63.1%
Bradshaw: 51.9%

QB Rating
Ben: 92.7
Bradshaw: 70.9

Interception Percentage
Ben: 2.9%
Bradshaw: 5.4%

Who cares about regular season stats? I was told those aren't important. Your entire argument is that Ben puts up better regular season stats than Bradshaw. Who cares? Is Peyton Manning better than Joe Montana?

Would any of the Steelers you mentioned be in the HOF if Bradshaw hadn't won 4 superbowls? I don't think so. Roethlisberger has had a consistently better defense than Bradshaw. Swann got into the HOF because of great postseason performances- he caught more than 50 passes in his career once.

Let's look at Bradshaw's superbowl ratings (where you say he only had 1 good game) 108, 122, 119, 102.... clutch!

I already pointed out that you cannot compare stats from the 70s to stats now. Stats are greatly inflated now.

zcoop
01-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Who cares about regular season stats? I was told those aren't important. Your entire argument is that Ben puts up better regular season stats than Bradshaw. Who cares? Is Peyton Manning better than Joe Montana?

Would any of the Steelers you mentioned be in the HOF if Bradshaw hadn't won 4 superbowls? I don't think so. Roethlisberger has had a consistently better defense than Bradshaw. Swann got into the HOF because of great postseason performances- he caught more than 50 passes in his career once.

Let's look at Bradshaw's superbowl ratings (where you say he only had 1 good game) 108, 122, 119, 102.... clutch!

I already pointed out that you cannot compare stats from the 70s to stats now. Stats are greatly inflated now.

Exactly, Defense was a bigger part of the game back then. Offense rules the day now with bigger, quicker and stronger players. Comparing the two are akin to apples and oranges.

lloydwoodson
01-15-2013, 09:19 PM
I think the biggest travesty is the two Pittsburgh born players who SHOULD have been Steelers quarterbacks- Johnny Unitas who was cut from the Steelers and never played a game for them, and Marino who should have been drafted. How many superbowls would the Steelers have won if their quarterbacks had been Unitas>Bradshaw>Marino>Roethlisberger?