PDA

View Full Version : How many more years does Ben have left?

BlaZeQuietly
01-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Big Ben has really taken a beating through out his career , I know hes only 31 right now but I fear he may be about to exit his prime. He seems to be getting hurt more often and recovering more slowly, he never fully recovered from his injury this year, and last year his ankle injury had a huge impact on us not advancing in the play offs, or getting home field advantage. hopefully this is not a pattern but I think we might only get 4 more quality seasons out of Ben thats right I think he may not be able to play at a high level by the age of 35 or 36 I defiantly dont see him him playing at a high level in his late 30s like manning or farve, what do you guys think? I say 4 more seasons, I think we may get a good one out of his next year though, just a feeling.

teegre
01-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Blaze is back!!!

Alas, I also only see 4 or 5 productive seasons left in his body. Ergo, I think he wins the next three SuperBowls... and immediately retires.

BlaZeQuietly
01-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Blaze is back!!!

Alas, I also only see 4 or 5 productive seasons left in his body. Ergo, I think he wins the next three SuperBowls... and immediately retires.

yeah I was banned for insulting someone, I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone. I had to spend the last month on the "steeler addicts " forum" which is less cool than this one.

pete74
01-15-2013, 04:22 AM
His injuries are definitely a concern. He seems to always be injured towards the end of the season and playing poorly because of it. He only played one 16 game season ever. His playing style will definitely hurt him and won't allow him to have a career as long as someone like Manning

VaDave
01-15-2013, 05:58 AM
The good news is during the first part of our season, his sack rate was down significantly, and still finished a good bit lower than years past even with all the injuries along the OL. Hopefully we can get a whole season out of our OL and we can keep Ben from getting hit even less.

WVABE
01-15-2013, 06:14 AM
2 maybe 3 more years, 1 more ring and he'll discover that family is more important than football.

Vis
01-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Between 7 years and one more game. I am willing to bet that it will be pain that ends his career.

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 06:51 AM
4/5 years and atleast 1 ring.

HOF for him!

wwhickok
01-15-2013, 06:51 AM
5 years

tanda10506
01-15-2013, 07:08 AM
Depends how long we continue to slide downhill. Ben can't do it himself and he's not getting any better like the other top QB's have with age. Ben is my favirote player of all time and I definitely don't think he's our problem, but he is startimg to lose his 4th quarter magic and he's starting to stare down WR's. If we win a SB or at least an AFC Championship in the next 2 years then I think he will play a few seasons after that. If we miss the playoffs the next couple of years or continue to have a low ranked offense that doesn't allow us to advance past the WC round, then I think he will just quit and spend a few extra years with his family.

steelfury02
01-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Depends how long we continue to slide downhill. Ben can't do it himself and he's not getting any better like the other top QB's have with age. Ben is my favirote player of all time and I definitely don't think he's our problem, but he is startimg to lose his 4th quarter magic and he's starting to stare down WR's. If we win a SB or at least an AFC Championship in the next 2 years then I think he will play a few seasons after that. If we miss the playoffs the next couple of years or continue to have a low ranked offense that doesn't allow us to advance past the WC round, then I think he will just quit and spend a few extra years with his family.

this - the window wasn't as big as it was a 2-3 seasons ago, that is for sure

I remember seeing him standing on the podium after they won XLIII and thinking "This son of a bitch is gonna pass Bradshaw and get 5 rings"

Now, I'm just hoping for 1 more. I really don't see more than 4-5 seasons at this rate and unfortunately, I think we'll see 1-2 more 8-8, 9-7, or one and dones mixed in there. I'm hoping the FO realizes their chances of winning another 1 are getting smaller by the half season.

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Yup. We fucking blew it with SB 45, and I think we only can get 1 more. I do think we will get it though.

Rotorhead
01-15-2013, 10:08 AM
If we turn it around and have a strong season next year, with some team leaders stepping up, we could win 2 more rings with Ben. But we need some players to take control of the locker room and make some people accountable.

teegre
01-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Yup. We fucking blew it with SB 45, and I think we only can get 1 more. I do think we will get it though.

I said on the day that BB was drafted that he'd take the Steelers to six SuperBowls, winning five of them. And, I'm sticking to it.

Darkstorm05
01-15-2013, 10:21 AM
If we continue to see him injured every season the way we have the past couple, I expect he'll have 2 more decent seasons, then drop into the shitter due to being too banged up to recover. If we keep him healthy, he could have 5 or 6 more good to great seasons.

BlaZeQuietly
01-15-2013, 10:21 AM
hes not the same guy as when he was drafted I think hes doubled in size, all fat

Darkstorm05
01-15-2013, 10:32 AM
hes not the same guy as when he was drafted I think hes doubled in size, all fat

Here we go with this bullshit again. The guy was 241 at his draft years combine. Reportedly he reached 260 at the end of last season, and was down 21 pounds for this year, according to an interview after training camp. That would actually put him lighter than his rookie year, which is pretty damned good for a guy his age who was suffering ankle injuries. Ben's weight is fine.

BlaZeQuietly
01-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Here we go with this bullshit again. The guy was 241 at his draft years combine. Reportedly he reached 260 at the end of last season, and was down 21 pounds for this year, according to an interview after training camp. That would actually put him lighter than his rookie year, which is pretty damned good for a guy his age who was suffering ankle injuries. Ben's weight is fine.

tell that to his chins

"double chin ben"

tomlin_era
01-15-2013, 12:14 PM

I remember seeing him standing on the podium after they won XLIII and thinking "This son of a bitch is gonna pass Bradshaw and get 5 rings"

Now, I'm just hoping for 1 more. I really don't see more than 4-5 seasons at this rate and unfortunately, I think we'll see 1-2 more 8-8, 9-7, or one and dones mixed in there. I'm hoping the FO realizes their chances of winning another 1 are getting smaller by the half season.

As much as I hate to say it, Ben is pretty much washed up. A few years back Ben was on the cusp of being a elite QB in this league even in the top five. Now he is lingering around 20. As far blaming injuries for his performance, it doesn't really matter, it is what it is. Besides, most of his injureies are brought on by his own stupidity and Stubbornness. We got two SB's with him behind center and I am gratefull for that. Take off the rose colored glasses and face reality. the SB window with this team has closed!

fansince'76
01-15-2013, 12:26 PM
As much as I hate to say it, Ben is pretty much washed up. A few years back Ben was on the cusp of being a elite QB in this league even in the top five. Now he is lingering around 20.

Right. That's why he was in the thick of the NFL MVP discussion at midseason.

NSMaster56
01-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Banner question.

Feels as though there are multiple answers contingent on a variety of factors, such as:
How many 'elite' years does he have left?
How many seasons does he have left---as opposed to cumulative years that he'll actually play after accounting for injury?
How many years in a Steelers uniform does he have left?

In any event, with advances in modern medicine and science he's probably good to be a starting QB in Burgh for another 5 years (accounting for injuries, roughly 4 full; of which at least 3 will be 'elite').

plenewken
01-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Based on what I've seen from Ben the last 4 years, I'll be very happy if he gets 1 more ring. I don't think he has the motivation to stay in shape and to study like the other top QBs do.
The way he plays and exposes himself to hard hits, if he doesn't get his 3rd ring in 2014 or 2015, I think we can all forget about it.
I don't see him playing past 35yo.

steelfury02
01-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Banner question.

Feels as though there are multiple answers contingent on a variety of factors, such as:
How many 'elite' years does he have left?
How many seasons does he have left---as opposed to cumulative years that he'll actually play after accounting for injury?
How many years in a Steelers uniform does he have left?

In any event, with advances in modern medicine and science he's probably good to be a starting QB in Burgh for another 5 years (accounting for injuries, roughly 4 full; of which at least 3 will be 'elite').

and as far as I'm concerned - Ben owes himself, his teammates, the org and then the fans a few really fantastic seasons - I love his skill set, but, its time to see more in terms of becoming a true master at his craft. I think he can do it but he has to want it - otherwise, I feel like we'll have 1-2 years where we truly have a shot out of the last 4 or 5.

StainlessStill
01-15-2013, 12:38 PM
I'd say Ben has about 5 good years left in him.

steelfury02
01-15-2013, 12:42 PM
isn't SB XLVIII outside this time? I would LOVE to see our team make it any year, but this one would be a little more special

teegre
01-15-2013, 12:48 PM
isn't SB XLVIII outside this time? I would LOVE to see our team make it any year, but this one would be a little more special

New York
outside
COLD weather... and, BB is money in cold weather

NSMaster56
01-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Ben owes himself, his teammates, the org and then the fans a few really fantastic seasons - I love his skill set, but, its time to see more in terms of becoming a true master at his craft. I think he can do it but he has to want it.

You may be entirely right and it's hard to argue against that.

Still, so long as he gets this team another ring (or at the very least takes them to another SB) I could care less if he 'makes the leap' or whatever.

Queue Al Davis' famous line.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-15-2013, 01:37 PM

Well stated, my man. My thoughts exactly-- I had that same internal conversation when that Lombardi was being hoisted up.

I am hopeful that we are just being alarmists though. That injury this year looked to be a fluke to me-- didn't look nearly as vicious a hit as many others Ben has sustained. Ben was on pace to smash all his previous records this year until then.

I think he might do better with another year under Haley's system, but the way it is looking, I think we will be seeing Haley on someone else's sidelines next season. There are a lot of teams looking for new staff members and coaches.

dez09231
01-15-2013, 01:38 PM
2 years of high level play, then probably a year or two where he doesn't really play because he's hurt and/or loses strength and mobility.

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 01:44 PM
2 years of high level play, then probably a year or two where he doesn't really play because he's hurt and/or loses strength and mobility.

Knowing our luck the past 4 years :noidea:

SteelersCanada
01-15-2013, 01:52 PM
4 - 5.

Welcome back Blaze.

Millers the sh!t
01-15-2013, 02:16 PM
3 decent years. Trade him now.... His numbers aren't great when he is healthy and in his prime, once he loses his footwork........ Ewwww. It's gonna be sad seeing him hold on. Hell retire a raider.

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 02:20 PM
3 decent years. Trade him now.... His numbers aren't great when he is healthy and in his prime, once he loses his footwork........ Ewwww. It's gonna be sad seeing him hold on. Hell retire a raider.

Can't tell if troll or...

SteelersCanada
01-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Can't tell if troll or...

He's kidding. Miller's a smart guy.

Millers the sh!t
01-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Or.........?

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
He's kidding. Miller's a smart guy.

I dunno, he lives in Maryland, the Rats may've gotten to him.

SteelersCanada
01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
If he's not kidding then I'm legitimately concerned for his mental health.

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
If he's not kidding then I'm legitimately concerned for his mental health.

I'm concerned for alot of people on here sometimes. Just saying it seems to be the people in Pittsburgh who are the most knee-jerk.

BlaZeQuietly
01-15-2013, 04:42 PM
General consensus ben has 4 years left. If we were smart we would get his successor now so we dont end up in a kordell steward tommy maddox phase again .

Millers the sh!t
01-15-2013, 04:48 PM
I dunno, he lives in Maryland, the Rats may've gotten to him.

Wow... MA us for Massachusetts...... Not Maryland. And I'm not kidding. Ben has 3 good years left tops. I'd trade him for a number one if a team would do it.

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Wow... MA us for Massachusetts...... Not Maryland. And I'm not kidding. Ben has 3 good years left tops. I'd trade him for a number one if a team would do it.

:bringit: Sick him, boys!

steelfury02
01-15-2013, 05:22 PM
and even if it was Maryland, I can vouch - if you're a diehard - you will not be converted to a stinking Ravens fan - if anything, it makes you appreciate your team and fellow fans even more

There really is no more annoying fan than a Ravens fan.

That said, if they somehow manage to win the SB this season - I think I might dry up and die. I have a feeling their tank is on empty after a huge miracle win in Denver - NE has a chance to absolutely torch their D - think the Ravens can put up 38 2 weeks in a row?

Let's all take a deep breathe and say in our 6 inch voices "Here we go Steelers . . .here we go."

fansince'76
01-15-2013, 05:26 PM
General consensus ben has 4 years left. If we were smart we would get his successor now so we dont end up in a kordell steward tommy maddox phase again .

Unless we get incredibly lucky (Joe Montana in the third/Tom Brady in the sixth) or tank on purpose for a once-in-a-decade talent (see the Colts and Andrew Luck), that's more than likely what's going to happen anyway. Look at the Steelers history and then ask the Dolphins and the Broncos about it.

Enjoy Ben while he's still here.

Vis
01-15-2013, 05:30 PM

Nobody worth having as a franchise QB will sit for 4 years.

fer522
01-15-2013, 05:33 PM
I'd say 4 good years but I'd try to trade him in the forth year for a # 1 pick

Vis
01-15-2013, 05:36 PM
I'd say 4 good years but I'd try to trade him in the forth year for a # 1 pick

I'd trade him for 3 #1 picks. Just as likely.

fansince'76
01-15-2013, 05:37 PM

And that too.

lloydwoodson
01-15-2013, 05:38 PM

Steve Young did.

fansince'76
01-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Steve Young did.

Different era. That was before the salary cap and rampant player movement. Young was also considered a bust after starting for several seasons on a woeful Buccaneers team.

NSMaster56
01-15-2013, 05:50 PM
There really is no more annoying fan than a Ravens fan.

http://www.dallassportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/cowboys-fans.jpg

fer522
01-15-2013, 05:51 PM
I'd trade him for 3 #1 picks. Just as likely.

I wouldn't trade him yet he still has at least 3 very,very good years left in him

BlaZeQuietly
01-15-2013, 10:47 PM

They don't have to sit for 4 years. They can probably play 6 games a year, that's how often Ben really shouldn't be playing. We need a lot of work done on this team and we need to get started now before it causes us to go 3-13 or something like that. The steelers WON'T tank on purpose, I don't cheer for teams who do that. I'd hate to see steeler fans wearing paper bags over their heads, that would break my heart. Maybe we should make sure we take care of the running back position with our first pick this year, then patch the line up with the rest and perhaps grab free agent back up qb (which I doubt we would do" and just worry about a great sucessor in a year or 2 but we really need to start giving it some thought, it's clear Ben's career is entering its final stages, not saying he cant put up good numbers for a couple more years but I really think thats it. Bens always been a "different" kind of quarterback and I think unfortunately having a short career will be part of that.

but after seeing how our team came unglued after big ben went down this year, we clearly need to focus on offense, We all know defense is important but you need to score points to win. look at some of the great teams in the play offs, all these games the teams are putting up 30+ points, Pittsburgh hasn't done that in a long time in fact I think the losing effort to GB in the SB was the last time I saw them put up 30

PhantomJB93
01-15-2013, 11:10 PM
I'd say at least 5. I know he's taken a beating but QB's who are protected well are playing until they're 38-40 nowadays. Ben's still only 30. He's a tough SOB and Haley's offense and our improving OL play will keep him upright. I'd say he'll be effective until at least up through the 2017 season, if not longer. It's not time to be thinking about replacements yet.

BlaZeQuietly
01-15-2013, 11:19 PM
then we sure as shit need a good back up because ben gets hurt so much he is only healthy about 50% of the games he actually plays in, which is frickin sad. We all know he's rushed back from injuries these last two year and that's been a big reason for our demise. I don't think anybody here wants to have lefty and batch for our back ups, Batch and lefty arn't horrible but they are not good enough to fill in for Ben. Look at what the Texans did last year, they were legit contenders with a 3rd string qb,

The_Joker
01-16-2013, 06:18 AM
Anyone want to pull a Rodgers and develop an evil minion behind Ben? Looking at you Kirk Cousins.

ZoneBlitzer
01-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Wish we could make a poll on this one.

3 years

BlaZeQuietly
01-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Some teams just know how to do it then. I can think of two right of the top of my head that have had two great quarterbacks without a huge gap in between like us (Patriots, Bledsoe-Brady... Packers -Farve- Rogers, and I'm sure there are more examples I just can't think of them right now. My point is it's possible if we play our cards right we're the pittsburgh steelers for christs sake! quit WASTING our draft picks on linemen, get a play maker, a big name, I know it sounds simple and obvious but maybe now is actually the time for that because in MY opinion that is our biggest problem right now, we don't have one particular player that everyone is afraid of , we have made some bad decisions for the past 5 drafts and its really biting us in the ass.

Plasiton
01-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Benjamin will play 8 more years,win 2 more superbowls lose 1 more superbowl. 6 more division titles.1 superbowl mvp, and 1 league mvp.
That is all.

Fire Haley
01-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Anyone want to pull a Rodgers and develop an evil minion behind Ben? Looking at you Kirk Cousins.

that's not a bad pick, actually

but would Ben's ego allow it?

a young pocket passer back-up QB who could actually develop into a starter, I mean....we've never had one

Fire Arians
01-18-2013, 01:58 PM
a young pocket passer back-up QB who could actually develop into a starter, I mean....we've never had one

neil o'donnell, sat his rookie season out behind brister

as much as people bag on o'donnell, he was a good qb and that was a good 3rd round pick. if he stayed with the steelers we woulda had another ring imo. those int's in the super bowl were the receiver's fault

kent
01-18-2013, 02:23 PM

as much as people bag on o'donnell, he was a good qb and that was a good 3rd round pick. if he stayed with the steelers we woulda had another ring imo. those int's in the super bowl were the receiver's fault

I know what people say, "recievers ran the wrong routes". But go look at the videos there is no one within 20 yards of Larry Brown. Just horrible throws.

austinfrench76
01-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Probably 5, but missing at least 2-3 games per season, so that means he will only actually play 4 more seasons in total games. Either way, I don't see how we don't address QB at some point in this draft. Unless they feel they can find a younger guy in FA but that's unlikely. I just hope BB stays healthy man, because with him we can win a few more SB's, without him healthy we pick #17 in the draft.

steelfury02
01-18-2013, 03:50 PM
I know what people say, "recievers ran the wrong routes". But go look at the videos there is no one within 20 yards of Larry Brown. Just horrible throws.

he was def just throwing it in that area because he anticipated the receiver being there - he could have at least looked off the defender(s) before putting it there in hopes they were on the same page - his eyes let him go right to the ball

Dino 6 Rings
01-18-2013, 04:17 PM

to answer the question

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-18-2013, 04:44 PM
5 more with 2 more superbowl wins.

teegre
01-18-2013, 06:05 PM

EXACTLY!!!

The "unnamed one" threw it 20 yards away from the WR. Maybe the WR broke left instea dof right... but, at most, that would be a 5-10 yard difference. "Unnamed" threw it 20 yards in the wrong direction.

Now... why?

Jerrah paid him handsomely. UGH!!!

Fire Haley
01-18-2013, 06:41 PM

I thought I was clear enough, I was talking the Ben era

would Ben's ego allow it? a young pocket passer back-up QB who could actually develop into a starter, I mean....we've never had one

Fire Arians
01-18-2013, 06:49 PM
I thought I was clear enough, I was talking the Ben era

would Ben's ego allow it? a young pocket passer back-up QB who could actually develop into a starter, I mean....we've never had one

yeah that's true, our FO hasn't been addressing the qb position since ben, at all. dennis dixon was the only pick we've spent at qb since drafting ben if i remember correctly.

think a pocket passer could survive behind this OL for a season though? haha. well maybe next year things will look up if our starters can stay healthy, but i won't hold my breath.

not sure if ben will like the idea of training up his replacement, but who knows, maybe a fire lit under his ass could make him perform better, i can only hope

casteeler
01-18-2013, 09:18 PM
2 years,he cannot stay healthy

maddog78
01-18-2013, 10:29 PM
SF's offensive line didn't miss a start all year. I'd kill for a couple seasons like that for Ben. He was a league MVP candidate at the midyear mark, then the OL, Brown, the CBs, and Ben himself got hurt.

I'm hoping for 4-5 more years and a couple more SB's, but the FO is going to have to pull a rabbit out the hat with the cap situation and the aging defense.

Doesn't look good with Art II pining for the days of three yards and a cloud of dust.