PDA

View Full Version : Renowned Trainer Tom Shaw Wants to Work With Woodley

SteelersCanada
01-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Let me preface this by saying that you should all head over to SteelersDepot - I site I frequent - and read the article by Dave Bryan. The guy knows his stuff and posts up to date and accurate information, usually with a great sense of humor. I'll pick the highlights out of the article, but I encourage you to read the entire thing.

Renowned Trainer Tom Shaw Wants to Work With Steelers Linebacker LaMarr Woodley

By: Dave Bryan

... I also mentioned that Steelers Linebacker LaMarr Woodley in that post has been a lightning rod for criticism this past season for underperforming and looking like he was out of shape and overweight. As it turns out, Shaw told Harris (of PT-R) recently that he thinks he can help Woodley with his hamstring problems that have plagued him since injuring the left one in a week 8 win over the New England Patriots.

“There are three ways to pull a hamstring — overuse, overstriding and dehydration,” Shaw said. “A linebacker who makes 80 percent of his plays within 10 yards is playing within a box. He shouldn‘t hit his (full) stride length. I want Woodley to come down here. He‘s a hard worker, but we teach the proper way to run.”

Prior to the hamstring injury suffered in the third quarter game against the Patriots, Woodley had recorded 36 total tackles and 9 sacks on the season. I will remind you that this game was only the eighth in the season. Can you imagine what kind of numbers Woodley would have put up if he managed to stay healthy that season?

“You need guys that understand the importance of doing what you‘re supposed to do,‘‘ strength and conditioning coach Tom Shaw said. “This is your career; this is your livelihood.

“The whole purpose of offseason training is you don‘t want to drop off and have to work to get back to where you were during the season instead of using that time to work on getting better.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/renown-trainer-tom-shaw-wants-to-work-with-steelers-lb-lamarr-woodley-this-offseason/

My take? Go LaMarr. Go right now. I've been saying for a long time that when he was healthy, he was a top 5 OLB in the NFL. When that hamstring isn't nagging him, he's an absolute stud and beast on the left side. He needs to go to Shaw and work out with him ASAP. This is the same Tom Shaw that Ike Taylor swears by, and he's been playing lights out the last couple of years. Adding LaMarr Woodley to his training program can only mean good things for the Steelers and our lack of pass rush.

Fire Arians
01-15-2013, 11:44 AM
was just reading that, and i think it would be a great idea for lamarr. when he's in shape, he's a hell of an OLB

wwhickok
01-15-2013, 11:47 AM
I hope this happens. We really need Woodley to get back in shape.

WVABE
01-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Best news I've heard in a while, sure hope it happens.

Darkstorm05
01-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Unfortunately the problem with Woodley's conditioning is Woodley. He needs to commit and get to work, or this contract will be his last.

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Go do it Woodley! This man wants to help you be the #1 LB we know you can be.

stiller39
01-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Its hard to believe our coaching staff couldn't see that Woodley was carrying too much weight and out of shape. They need to make it a priority in the off season to see that he comes to camp in at his best playing weight and with an offseason regiment that will prevent his multitude of injuries (hamstrings).

Steeler7BR
01-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Let me preface this by saying that you should all head over to SteelersDepot - I site I frequent - and read the article by Dave Bryan. The guy knows his stuff and posts up to date and accurate information, usually with a great sense of humor. I'll pick the highlights out of the article, but I encourage you to read the entire thing.

Renowned Trainer Tom Shaw Wants to Work With Steelers Linebacker LaMarr Woodley

By: Dave Bryan

... I also mentioned that Steelers Linebacker LaMarr Woodley in that post has been a lightning rod for criticism this past season for underperforming and looking like he was out of shape and overweight. As it turns out, Shaw told Harris (of PT-R) recently that he thinks he can help Woodley with his hamstring problems that have plagued him since injuring the left one in a week 8 win over the New England Patriots.

“There are three ways to pull a hamstring — overuse, overstriding and dehydration,” Shaw said. “A linebacker who makes 80 percent of his plays within 10 yards is playing within a box. He shouldn‘t hit his (full) stride length. I want Woodley to come down here. He‘s a hard worker, but we teach the proper way to run.”

Prior to the hamstring injury suffered in the third quarter game against the Patriots, Woodley had recorded 36 total tackles and 9 sacks on the season. I will remind you that this game was only the eighth in the season. Can you imagine what kind of numbers Woodley would have put up if he managed to stay healthy that season?

“You need guys that understand the importance of doing what you‘re supposed to do,‘‘ strength and conditioning coach Tom Shaw said. “This is your career; this is your livelihood.

“The whole purpose of offseason training is you don‘t want to drop off and have to work to get back to where you were during the season instead of using that time to work on getting better.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/renown-trainer-tom-shaw-wants-to-work-with-steelers-lb-lamarr-woodley-this-offseason/

My take? Go LaMarr. Go right now. I've been saying for a long time that when he was healthy, he was a top 5 OLB in the NFL. When that hamstring isn't nagging him, he's an absolute stud and beast on the left side. He needs to go to Shaw and work out with him ASAP. This is the same Tom Shaw that Ike Taylor swears by, and he's been playing lights out the last couple of years. Adding LaMarr Woodley to his training program can only mean good things for the Steelers and our lack of pass rush.

Love what I'm hearing here. At least theres a reason now why he underpeformes and why he had such a bad season. He's hurt ok thats bad but it seems like they can do something about it now which is awesome. I even give him a walk on his overweight I mean as an pro athlete this is a no go but with a hamstring injury over a whole year men thats though.

jtbsteeler
01-15-2013, 12:47 PM
The whole team should head down there. This team was unconditioned if you ask me. Hell, even Ike Taylor got hurt this season.

I've soured on Mike Tomlin. It took awhile to start feeling that way, but there was too much ineptitude and stupidity going on this season.

teegre
01-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Hell, even Ike Taylor got hurt this season.

Yes. Ike should have encased his bones in adamantium.

Darkstorm05
01-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Its hard to believe our coaching staff couldn't see that Woodley was carrying too much weight and out of shape. They need to make it a priority in the off season to see that he comes to camp in at his best playing weight and with an offseason regiment that will prevent his multitude of injuries (hamstrings).

That's the problem. If he decides not to put in the effort, there's nothing to be done about it. The only threat out there is either benching him, or cutting him, and that would just result in us paying 10 mil to a guy to sit. They have no recourse here.

sloppyjoe
01-15-2013, 03:10 PM
woodley got the big contract, he doesnt want to work hard and put the time in. doesnt care about being one of the best LBs in the game. he carss about facebook, tweeting and endorsments. im not buying that he was all that hurt either.

sloppyjoe
01-15-2013, 03:11 PM
by the way, this article will go a long way in determining exactly what tyype of player woodley really is

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-15-2013, 03:16 PM

Tomlin actually commented on this at least once during the course of the season, that he felt Woodley needs to work on his conditioning to avoid injuring his hammy every year around midseason..

teegre
01-15-2013, 03:49 PM
During the 2010 season, before the team photo at the SuperBowl, while waiting around for the camera-man, James Harrison asked teammates to hold his feet, while he did one-armed push-ups.

Some guys condition... because they are dedicated. Whereas, some guys gain 50 pounds & pull hamstrings.

The_Joker
01-15-2013, 03:54 PM
During the 2010 season, before the team photo at the SuperBowl, while waiting around for the camera-man, James Harrison asked teammates to hold his feet, while he did one-armed push-ups.

Some guys condition... because they are dedicated. Whereas, some guys gain 50 pounds & pull hamstrings.

Harrison is a true Steeler :tt03:

pczach
01-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Yes. Ike should have encased his bones in adamantium.

Ike "Wolverine" Taylor:chuckle:

fer522
01-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Tomlin and the trainers need to go see this guy as well

Terminator
01-15-2013, 07:25 PM

Harrison basically lives to lift weights. He publicly called a lot of guys out for not hitting the gym.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Also visit http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/ for all things steelers. It has all the major steeler news outlets on one page very nice to look at each day.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Harrison basically lives to lift weights. He publicly called a lot of guys out for not hitting the gym.

There was a photo of him running on a treadmill in a gas mask. Now that's dedication

Also visit http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/ for all things steelers. It has all the major steeler news outlets on one page very nice to look at each day.

stb_steeler
01-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Theres a few on this team that could use conditioning. The list maybe staggering if ya think about it.....:noidea:

austinfrench76
01-15-2013, 09:43 PM
PLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSSSSEEEEE let this happen! God, are you listening?

teegre
01-15-2013, 10:28 PM
There was a photo of him running on a treadmill in a gas mask. Now that's dedication.

Speaking of treadmills:
While running at a full sprint, Peyton used to (& might still) call out offensive plays, and then have someone beside him call out defensive alignments, and he would call back the action that would take him out of that play & into the proper play for that defense. It was more of a mental exercise than a physical one.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Speaking of treadmills:
While running at a full sprint, Peyton used to (& might still) call out offensive plays, and then have someone beside him call out defensive alignments, and he would call back the action that would take him out of that play & into the proper play for that defense. It was more of a mental exercise than a physical one.

That's what separates the greats from the rests

wootawnee
01-19-2013, 04:55 AM
Dont ya think ya should quit doing the ninja-Bruce Lee kicky thing after a sack Lamar? :chuckle:

SteelersCanada
01-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Steelers LB Says He Will Not be Training With Renowned Trainer Tom Shaw This Offseason

By Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers Linebacker LaMarr Woodley said Monday that he has no intentions of training with Tom Shaw in Florida this offseason.

"No, I won't." Woodley said when asked if he would be training with Shaw this offseason. "I've seen that on Twitter and and the thing that a lot of people don't know is that I only missed one game due to my hamstring this season. The other injury was a high ankle sprain. So, if any trainer or anyone that is listening or on Facebook can show me how to avoid a high ankle sprain, then I'll come train with you."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/steelers-lb-lamarr-woodley-says-he-will-not-be-training-with-tom-shaw-during-the-offseason/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

-- C'mon, LaMarr. What harm could it possibly do if you were to go train and work with Shaw? I'm sure Ike will verify for his qualifications. I'm a little disappointed in Woodley if I'm being honest - his hammy has been a nagging problem for two years now.

harrison'samonster
01-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Steelers LB Says He Will Not be Training With Renowned Trainer Tom Shaw This Offseason

By Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers Linebacker LaMarr Woodley said Monday that he has no intentions of training with Tom Shaw in Florida this offseason.

"No, I won't." Woodley said when asked if he would be training with Shaw this offseason. "I've seen that on Twitter and and the thing that a lot of people don't know is that I only missed one game due to my hamstring this season. The other injury was a high ankle sprain. So, if any trainer or anyone that is listening or on Facebook can show me how to avoid a high ankle sprain, then I'll come train with you."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/steelers-lb-lamarr-woodley-says-he-will-not-be-training-with-tom-shaw-during-the-offseason/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

-- C'mon, LaMarr. What harm could it possibly do if you were to go train and work with Shaw? I'm sure Ike will verify for his qualifications. I'm a little disappointed in Woodley if I'm being honest - his hammy has been a nagging problem for two years now.

Woodley may point out that he was only out one game because of the hamstring injury, but if I'm not mistaken the same injury was bothering him through a large part of the season. Whether it takes him out or makes him less effective, it's causing trouble.

I don't have a problem with him not training with Shaw, as long as he shows up next year in good shape and ready to go. If he wants to do his own thing in the offseason it's ok, but it had better prepare him for this season.

kan_t
01-28-2013, 12:40 PM
He better has a Pro Bowl year next season.This year I still give him the benefit of the doubt. Next year not so much.

pete74
01-28-2013, 01:21 PM
If he's not playing at a pro bowl level next season I say we save the money and cuthim . I can overlook one bad year but not two in a row when your making that much money.

harrison'samonster
01-28-2013, 01:24 PM
I agree with the previous two posts. No reason to freak out at this point, but one more year like this and let him go.

wwhickok
01-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Remember not long ago when Starks was out of shape. He juat needed a little motivation, now of course in his case that motivation was getting cut. The Steelers and Woodley need yo work together and get him motivated again.

austinfrench76
01-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Yeah Wood, people are really concerned becasue you missed 1 game due to injury. NO! People are pissed and telling you to go another route because your conditioning sucks and you actually PLAYED and sucked. That's the problem. It's not just the injury. It's that he looks fat and out of shape until mid season. In the past, he had turned it on mid season and ended up having some nice years until this year. Hard work beats talent when talent don't work hard. Wonder if he's ever heard that??? You get your 50 mill and all the sudden it's an ankle thing or a hamstring thing when actually it sounds like a "heart" thing! As Lou from the movie Major League would say!

harrison'samonster
01-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Yeah Wood, people are really concerned becasue you missed 1 game due to injury. NO! People are pissed and telling you to go another route because your conditioning sucks and you actually PLAYED and sucked. That's the problem. It's not just the injury. It's that he looks fat and out of shape until mid season. In the past, he had turned it on mid season and ended up having some nice years until this year. Hard work beats talent when talent don't work hard. Wonder if he's ever heard that??? You get your 50 mill and all the sudden it's an ankle thing or a hamstring thing when actually it sounds like a "heart" thing! As Lou from the movie Major League would say!

thanks! that made me laugh so hard :rofl:

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-29-2013, 06:45 AM
Update, he will not be training with shaw

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/steelers-lb-lamarr-woodley-says-he-will-not-be-training-with-tom-shaw-during-the-offseason/

wwhickok
01-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Update, he will not be training with shaw

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/steelers-lb-lamarr-woodley-says-he-will-not-be-training-with-tom-shaw-during-the-offseason/
At this point it wouldnt shock me if woodley is cut next offseason.

MasterOfPuppets
01-29-2013, 03:12 PM
woodley doesn't have time to work with shaw. he and casey hampton are scheduled to compete in 37 pie and chicken wing eating contests.

tanda10506
01-29-2013, 03:36 PM
He has pockets full of money and time on his hands, why the hell would you not be in the best shape possible? Seems like I spend a good part of my life in the gym, and I have to balance that between work and family time. There is no reason I, or anybody on an internet forum, should be in better shape then a Steelers LB. Get some heart Woodley!

sloppyjoe
01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
this doesnt suprprise me about woodley. c alled out by shaw and he chicken shits away with some lame excuse. ive been saying for awhile now that woodley only cares about the money, this kinda proves it.

steelfury02
01-29-2013, 06:40 PM
ive been one of the first to bitch about Woodley, and especially after his coach's comments - that said, he doesn't HAVE to work with 1 specific guy to get back to where he needs to be

Now, if he has another lackluster / "injured" season due to lack of focus and commitment - then this will only be ammo on why he should then be let go

As Pete said - 2 bad seasons in a row on what he is making? Buh bye!

VaDave
01-30-2013, 07:18 AM
Too much dead money to cut him this year..... otherwise...... I'm guessing they will again restructure his payout ( advance of salary as a bonus, kicking the can down the road) to provide cap space now, making it an almost certainty he will play out his contract. JMO

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Everybody is talking about how we need to draft a pass rusher to replace Harrison but we should be looking for a replacement for Woodley....

steelfury02
01-30-2013, 08:12 AM
Everybody is talking about how we need to draft a pass rusher to replace Harrison but we should be looking for a replacement for Woodley....

that doesn't sound far fetched if we see the same production next season

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Instead of shaw fixing his injuries, go the route of deer antler spray seems to work:chuckle:

VaDave
01-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Instead of shaw fixing his injuries, go the route of deer antler spray seems to work:chuckle:

LOL!!!! I'm thinking I might like to find some of that myself....

SteelersCanada
01-30-2013, 11:36 AM
If we take Dion Jordan in this draft we have our Harrison replacement. If Woodley continues on this downward spiral of play he's on (something I don't think is going to happen as I see a big rebound year next year) then we can take CJ Mosley from Alabama in 2014.

FrancoLambert
01-30-2013, 06:25 PM

Woodley was interested in the deer antler spray treatments until he heard he would not be able to eat the deer.

Steeldude
01-30-2013, 07:15 PM
If we take Dion Jordan in this draft we have our Harrison replacement. If Woodley continues on this downward spiral of play he's on (something I don't think is going to happen as I see a big rebound year next year) then we can take CJ Mosley from Alabama in 2014.

I would rather they draft a hard-nosed LB who can also defend the run. It would be nice to trade Woodley and keep the better LB Harrison

SteelersCanada
01-30-2013, 07:45 PM
I would rather they draft a hard-nosed LB who can also defend the run. It would be nice to trade Woodley and keep the better LB Harrison

Trade the 28 year old but keep the 35 year old? I don't like it.

harrison'samonster
01-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Trade the 28 year old but keep the 35 year old? I don't like it.

I don't like it either, but we're assuming that the 28 yr old is going to get back to his old self.

Renegade.8
01-30-2013, 08:36 PM

:rofl:

OX1947
01-30-2013, 10:01 PM
JPP had only 6.5 sacks this year in NY, maybe the Giants should think about trading or cutting him. Are some of you on crack?

SteelersCanada
01-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Woodley was interested in the deer antler spray treatments until he heard he would not be able to eat the deer.

I like Woodley but this was some funny shit.

Also, I agree with the ridiculousness of trading Woodley. Let him get back in shape and let him return to his form prior to the New England injury so we don't have to address yet another position.

The fact that people would rather have Harrison just points to this fanbases' inability to move on. He's 35 and ineffective - it's time to cut ties.

harrison'samonster
01-30-2013, 10:49 PM
The fact that people would rather have Harrison just points to this fanbases' inability to move on. He's 35 and ineffective - it's time to cut ties.

to me it's not about moving on or not, it's about can we afford the player and will that player make us better.

Harrison made more plays than Woodley. Which one will make us better next year? Will either make us better in the long run? Money is on Woodley because of his age, but still, ineffective at 28 or 35 is still no good.

Fire Arians
01-30-2013, 10:59 PM
to me it's not about moving on or not, it's about can we afford the player and will that player make us better.

Harrison made more plays than Woodley. Which one will make us better next year? Will either make us better in the long run? Money is on Woodley because of his age, but still, ineffective at 28 or 35 is still no good.

this, woodley should be in his prime years now but he's pissing it away

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-31-2013, 12:31 AM
this, woodley should be in his prime years now but he's pissing it away

Due to injuries, before that was having a career year. Cant get rid of him before the season, but if he plays the same this year then next offseason fans will have more of a arguement to let him go

teegre
01-31-2013, 12:59 AM
Not to be argumentative, but trading Woodley actually makes just as much sense as trading Troy... if not more so.

Troy: 31
Woodley: 28
ADVANTAGE: Woodley... although not significantly younger (& Troy is in better physical shape).

Troy: when healthy, the best player at his position.
Woodley: when healthy, "one of" the best sack artists (and good against the run).
ADVANTAGE: Troy.

Troy: injured for two years, but came on at the end of last season (watch the Cincy game).
Woodley: was looking strong, and then got injured for the last part of that year & the next year.
ADVANTAGE: Equal... although, again, Troy is more physically fit... and looks closer to being "back" to his old self.

Lastly...

Troy: $7.1 million cap hit
Woodley: $7.2 million cap hit
ADVANTAGE: Equal.

Steeldude
01-31-2013, 02:33 AM
I like Woodley but this was some funny shit.

Also, I agree with the ridiculousness of trading Woodley. Let him get back in shape and let him return to his form prior to the New England injury so we don't have to address yet another position.

Harrison is more effective than Woodley. He's 35, coming off knee and back surgery and he still easily outperforms Woodley again. It almost seems like Woodley gets most of his sacks when a TE or RB is blocking him. He is also known to disappear for stretches. He is not good against the run or in coverage. His effort on the field needs work too. If he can get down to 250 he will play better.

If a team wants to trade for him I say yes. Well, depending on what's involved in the trade. Isn't Woodley a $13,000,000 cap hit?

Get back into shape? Was he ever really in shape?

wwhickok
01-31-2013, 05:23 AM
Correct me if i am wrong but has Woodley not had a hamstring injury in at least the last TWO seasons?

This is a matter of ego being bigger than talent.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-31-2013, 07:06 AM
Correct me if i am wrong but has Woodley not had a hamstring injury in at least the last TWO seasons?

High ankle sprain this year also

steelfury02
01-31-2013, 08:26 AM

yea, he just needs to put up or walk this season - I still think he is capable of turning it around, but - will he?

Iseems like some of these guys that won SB 43 right at the start of their career need to remember what it takes to get back there. Maybe just too much came too soon for Woodley? :noidea:

pczach
01-31-2013, 03:38 PM
woodley doesn't have time to work with shaw. he and casey hampton are scheduled to compete in 37 pie and chicken wing eating contests.

:sofunny:

JVip
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Steelers LB LaMarr Woodley Will Begin Offseason Training In February Out In Arizona

On Monday Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley said in an interview with a Florida radio station that he would not be taking renowned trainer Tom Shaw up on his offer to train this offseason down in Orlando at the Wide World of Sports complex, but that doesn't mean that that he will not be training at all.

During a Thursday online chat on Michigan Live Woodley said that he would be training out in Arizona this offseason and he reiterated that it was his ankle injury that slowed him down the most last season and not the hamstring injury that he suffered early in the season in the game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

"Actually my hamstring was fine as I partially injured the opposite hamstring which was mild," Woodley replied. "My ankle was the problem when someone fell on it in a game. I'm going to train in Arizona this year to totally improve my body and conditioning."

While Woodley did not specify, it is believed that he will be working out at Athletes' Performance in Phoenix as he has trained there before.

So when will Woodley begin training? According to him it will be sometime in the middle February. His plans for Super Bowl weekend? Las Vegas.

"I'm traveling to Vegas for a UFC fight then watching the Super Bowl on Sunday," said Woodley. "Enjoying the last few days until I start my official training mid February."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-lb-lamarr-woodley-will-begin-offseason-training-in-february-out-in-arizona/

SteelersCanada
02-01-2013, 11:55 AM
"My ankle was the problem when someone fell on it in a game. I'm going to train in Arizona this year to totally improve my body and conditioning."

Why was Gilbert on the field?

In all seriousness though, as long as he's training and working off the weight he put on I don't care where he trains. I'm sure the guys in Arizona are qualified and will help Woods work on that hamstring that has been nagging him for the last couple years.

I do think he'll be back to his 2011 form next year. Or, rather, I hope.

harrison'samonster
02-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Why was Gilbert on the field?

In all seriousness though, as long as he's training and working off the weight he put on I don't care where he trains. I'm sure the guys in Arizona are qualified and will help Woods work on that hamstring that has been nagging him for the last couple years.

I do think he'll be back to his 2011 form next year. Or, rather, I hope.

I completely agree. I don't care if he doesn't want to train with Shaw, because were he's going he'll get the workout he needs.

I also agree, I hope he gets back to his best playing abilities. I think he can.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-01-2013, 12:13 PM
I have the feeling that we are going to bounce back in a big way next year.

harrison'samonster
02-01-2013, 12:18 PM

one thing that worries me about how we come back next year is that Woodley has consistently said that he had played well this year.

That's only one spot, and hopefully Tomlin can drill it into their heads that at 8-8, nobody on the team can stand up and say "I had a good season"

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-01-2013, 12:30 PM
one thing that worries me about how we come back next year is that Woodley has consistently said that he had played well this year.

That's only one spot, and hopefully Tomlin can drill it into their heads that at 8-8, nobody on the team can stand up and say "I had a good season"

But I believe that the FO and Tomlin is ashamed that we didn't make the playoffs are that we have not been able to win the division the last 2 year most def this year we had it in the palm of our hand but Ben had to get hurt. But I see a lot of improvement that will happen next season on both sides of the ball.

VaDave
02-04-2013, 11:08 AM

I'm not that optomistic, but I don't think it will be as bad as some fear.

steelfury02
02-04-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm not that optomistic, but I don't think it will be as bad as some fear.

same here. I think it will be an improvement - enough to get back to the playoffs anyways. I cannot stand players that say "But, well, I did this though" in the face of an abysmal season. Sure, not a losing season - but that's about as bad as you can look as a .500 team.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Wait for the draft fellas. If Woodley comes back in shape and we go with Worilds or Chris Carter in the interim (I dont think we can afford to have Harrison back)...I hope to see a pass rusher drafted and developed like Corey Lemonier or Barkavious Mingo.

Its time for Woodley to step up and be Batman instead of playing Robin.

scottcurtis
02-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Big Ben should hire this guy as well... Ben is being passed by quickly as far as athleticism is concerned. It seems like everyone else either has a quick release or the wheels to get away. Even unibrow was eluding the rush and throwing on the run last night !

harrison'samonster
02-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Wait for the draft fellas. If Woodley comes back in shape and we go with Worilds or Chris Carter in the interim (I dont think we can afford to have Harrison back)...I hope to see a pass rusher drafted and developed like Corey Lemonier or Barkavious Mingo.

Great point. We gave him the money thinking he would take over. Time for him to show he can do it.

As for Harrison, unfortunately the most distructive force in the universe since Galactus is going to be a cap casualty.

steelfury02
02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Great point. We gave him the money thinking he would take over. Time for him to show he can do it.

As for Harrison, unfortunately the most distructive force in the universe since Galactus is going to be a cap casualty.

1. Thank you for referencing Galactus
2. You never know - Harrison could take a big discount just to play out another season - especially since he will be "healthy" going into this season and was warming up towards the end

SteelersCanada
02-04-2013, 02:55 PM

This. It's time for Woodley to return to his 2011 form and be the anchor of our Linebackers again. If he doesn't, CJ Mosley is available in 2014.

SteelersCanada
02-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Ryan Clark Urged Woodley to Work and Train With Him in Arizona

By: Dave Bryan of SteelersDepot.com and @SteelersDepot on Twitter

"LaMarr and I talked about this all season," Clark said. "I wanted him to train where I train in Arizona - Performance Enhancing Professionals. I think that it's the best place to train in the world and prepare for the season, and oddly enough, LaMarr started there last Monday, where a lot of guys aren't even working out right now."

Woodley made it known a few weeks ago that he was declining the offer made to him by renowned trainer Tom Shaw to train in Florida at the Wide World of Sports Complex. ... We now know that Clark's urging was likely the reason for the decision.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-ryan-clark-lamarr-woodley-all-season-train-arizona/

-- Well, maybe I jumped the gun on Woodley a little bit.

steelfury02
02-19-2013, 02:08 PM
as long as the MP ensure he doesn't go AWOL for late night snacking:chuckle:

SteelersCanada
03-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Steelers Depot ‏@Steelersdepot

#Steelers Restructure Contract Of LB LaMarr Woodley To Clear $4.05 Million In Cap Space

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03/steelers-restructure-contract-of-lb-lamarr-woodley-to-clear-3-6-million-in-cap-space/

-- Woodley lowered his cap hit to 9.19 million which in turn, freed up 4.05 million in cap space. Right now, we're hovering around 7.5 million above the cap which, again, will turn into more space once more releases and/or restructures are made. Keep in mind, to sign our rookies will take around 4.9 million.

VaDave
03-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Well, that means he'll be here for at least another year..... And I was hoping to see less of him.... actually, I LOVE to see less of him......

tony hipchest
03-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Steelers Depot ‏@Steelersdepot

#Steelers Restructure Contract Of LB LaMarr Woodley To Clear $4.05 Million In Cap Space

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03/steelers-restructure-contract-of-lb-lamarr-woodley-to-clear-3-6-million-in-cap-space/

-- Woodley lowered his cap hit to 9.19 million which in turn, freed up 4.05 million in cap space. Right now, we're hovering around 7.5 million above the cap which, again, will turn into more space once more releases and/or restructures are made. Keep in mind, to sign our rookies will take around 4.9 million.actually, after the SB, we were 15.9 million above the projected cap of 121 mil. after the actual cap number of 123 mil came in and the restructure of timmons, ben, and brown we were right at the cap.

now with the release of harrison, and the woodley restructure we should be around 8 mil below the cap, giving us room to persue k. lewis or someone else targeted at the start of free agency in 2 hours.

sloppyjoe
03-12-2013, 02:38 PM
wow, now woodley really has no incentive to be in shape, produce or not get 'injured'

SteelersCanada
03-28-2013, 11:57 AM
LaMarr Woodley ‏@LaMarrWoodley 16h

Yall really are the best fans in all of sports... and it aint even close

Thanks, Woods. :cheers: