PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh Jealousy

TheVet
01-15-2013, 04:51 PM
I hate to admit it, but I'm jealous of both the San Francisco 49ers and the hated Baltimore Ugly Crows. Why? Because they have the Harbaughs for their head coaches, and these guys seem to know how to make tough decisions, identify talent, and put together tough, high-achieving teams. And I haven't noticed them screwing up challenges, rolling the dice on crazy plays, wasting timeouts and mismanaging clocks on Sunday afternoons. These guys are the real deal, seriously, they're up there with very few others (and we all know who they are).

I'm jealous, I gotta admit it. I'd like to have a top tier head coach, too. It's not that I don't like Tomlin, there are surely many worse; and the Steelers infrastructure can provide a lot of support that can help an OK coach succeed. But wow, wouldn't it be great to go to war with the best possible leadership?

Atlanta Dan
01-15-2013, 04:52 PM
I hate to admit it, but I'm jealous of both the San Francisco 49ers and the hated Baltimore Ugly Crows. Why? Because they have the Harbaughs for their head coaches, and these guys seem to know how to make tough decisions, identify talent, and put together tough, high-achieving teams. And I haven't noticed them screwing up challenges, wasting timeouts and mismanaging clocks on Sunday afternoons. These guys are the real deal, seriously, they're up there with very few others (and we all know who they are).

I'm jealous, I gotta admit it. I'd like to have a top tier head coach too. It's not that I don't like Tomlin, there are surely many worse. But wow, wouldn't it be great to go to war with the best possible leadership?

And Jim and John have how many Super Bowl appearances?:coffee:

fansince'76
01-15-2013, 04:54 PM

"Cowher's players/Barry Switzer" argument forthcoming in 5,4,3,2,1...

harrison'samonster
01-15-2013, 04:54 PM
I don't think I agree. They are aggressive, and Baltimore's Harbaugh is whiney. I think people were saying good things about Rex Ryan at one point too.

I'd wait a few years. I believe Baltimore has the oldest roster in the NFL, and SF is loaded with high draft picks from years of poor seasons.

TheVet
01-15-2013, 05:05 PM

Come on, can you honestly say that's a serious comment? They've both built nothing teams into contenders. If you look around the league, you'll see that most new HCs don't walk into Super Bowl caliber teams with elite QBs as in Tomlin's situation.

harrison'samonster
01-15-2013, 05:10 PM
I don't see it as they've built nothing teams into contenders. 49ers are loaded with talent. They've both done a good job, but to call them elite coaches is a bit early, hence the "how many SB's have they won" statement.

They both seem to be doing a very good job though.

steelfury02
01-15-2013, 05:18 PM
injuries, injuries, injuries - Tomlin is a fantastic coach in that he won't accept that as an excuse, even though the Steelers have been the most decimated team two seasons in a row . . .

When Ben had a career seasons in 07 and they won the division, followed up by a SB victory the following year, Tomlin was considered one of the top 2-3 coaches in the league. He solidified that by an "off" 9-7 season followed by another SB appearance in spite of his QB missing 4 games to start the season.

Don't let the AFC/NFC champ game appearances fool you - a broken clock is right twice a day - they SHOULD win with their talent - don't make them into some gods because of 2 crumby conference appearances

Just remember how desired Bill Cowher is, then look back at his resume - full of almosts but not quites and a really bad 3 year stretch where he forget himself

3 coaches since 1969. The guy has a ring and another appearance in 6 seasons. Let's hold off - I have a feeling we'll be seeing this team get back to some core ideas next season.

Atlanta Dan
01-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Come on, can you honestly say that's a serious comment? They've both built nothing teams into contenders. If you look around the league, you'll see that most new HCs don't walk into Super Bowl caliber teams with elite QBs as in Tomlin's situation.

John Harbaugh has had the same core talent for five years and not won a conference championship yet - if he is so superior to Tomlin he would have been to the Super Bowl once by now

As posted above, Rex Ryan took his teams to the conference championships his first 2 seasons as HC like Jim Harbaugh - want to walk me through how Rex also is a better coach than Tomlin

But we all know when the Steelers make the Super Bowl it is because of the players and when they fail to make the Super Bowl it is because of the coaches

Atlanta Dan
01-15-2013, 05:25 PM
I don't see it as they've built nothing teams into contenders. 49ers are loaded with talent. They've both done a good job, but to call them elite coaches is a bit early, hence the "how many SB's have they won" statement.

Agreed - I am not saying they are not good coaches

Vis
01-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Is this a thread about whether the Harbaughs are good coaches or about them being better than Tomlin? Because one of those thoughts is garbage.

tanda10506
01-15-2013, 05:41 PM

No doubt, especially Jim. The Niners didn't even have an identity when he took over last year, and he was a few player errors away from going to the SB. They likely will this year. Tomlin's first 2 years were pretty damn impressive too. We made the playoffs the first year (and somehow lost to the Jaguars) and won the SB in his 2nd. As you mentioned though Vet, Tomlin signed on with a team that won the SB just a year before.There's no doubt in my mind that if we were disciplined and played with the heart that Jim has seemingly instilled in the Niners, that we would be playing Sunday.

The test for Jim will be time. They've pieced together a damn good team and are definitely on the right track. Yet we seemed to be on the right track too in Tomlin's first two years. Now we've either missed the playoffs or been beat in the WC round 3 out of the last 4 years. Let's hope they both lose, although I don't see the Niners losing another game this year.

StainlessStill
01-15-2013, 05:50 PM

John Harbaugh took over a team in 2007 that went 13-3 as the AFC's second seeded team in 2006. Baltimore, like Pittsburgh, wasn't always nutritioned on the offensive side of the ball like they were defensively, and the Ravens defense he inherited were at the PEAK of their dominance, paving the way to their success to this day.

Did Tomlin REALLY inherit a good team? The Steelers had a QB coming off of a near death experience having the worst season of his career. Guys like Alan Faneca and Joey Porter were VERY tough decisions for a new head coach taking over an organization that only saw 2 come before him. I just think it's silly. Tomlin took over a franchise in '06 that had tons of question marks and some CORE veteran leadership ready for departure. I don't wanna hear it. Tomlin has done a great job and isn't recognized for it because of some recent struggles.

TheVet
01-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Come on guys, just because we're Steeler fans doesn't mean that we need to wear black and gold blinders. Tomlin's an OK coach, but he's just not operating at that level. He's just not.

harrison'samonster
01-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Come on guys, just because we're Steeler fans doesn't mean that we need to wear black and gold blinders. Tomlin's an OK coach, but he's just not operating at that level. He's just not.

just curious, but how much of the Ravens and 49ers have you seen over the past few years?

StainlessStill
01-15-2013, 05:59 PM
You know, you may be right, but sometimes as Steelers fans, some may not know how fucking GOOD we actually have it and how a little bump in the road will have some fans talking incredible nonsense. Steelers fans are one of the most spoiled bunch's on the planet and sometimes, when things don't go perfectly, our intelligence is overshadowed by being spoiled rotten. Sometimes it makes me sick.

tony hipchest
01-15-2013, 06:07 PM
screw the harbaughs.

fansince'76
01-15-2013, 06:11 PM

Whatever.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/Tomlin-Harbaugh-head-2-head.jpg

Advantage: Tomlin

tanda10506
01-15-2013, 06:11 PM
just curious, but how much of the Ravens and 49ers have you seen over the past few years?

This is only Jim Harbaugh's second year and they have both been pretty damn good. I've watched them quite a bit since he's been there. As for the Ravens, I'm not entirely impressed with John Harbaugh or the Ravens. John has yet to make it all the way although he's had a lot of opportunities and the Ravens had a better team upon his arrival.

harrison'samonster
01-15-2013, 06:33 PM
I'll admit that I don't watch much of the 49ers, but their draft picks since 05 have been spot on, as they should be drafting around 10th or higher for several years. Davis, Willis, Gore, and Crabtree. Admittedly, Alex Smith was a miss. They are and have been loaded with talent. I'll give you Harbaugh has done more with them than Singletary, but like I've said before it's still way to early to say he's a top tier coach.

As for the Ravens, well there might not be too much to be jealous of after this weekend. One thing about them you can't say about us, Ray Lewis gets them fired up for each game.

Edit: That wasn't a diss on Singeltary, I like him and loved the fire he brought.

TheVet
01-15-2013, 06:38 PM
I found a nice black and gold ostrich for my signature. Because the standard is the standard, and if you close your eyes and can't see the standard, well that must count as the standard, because we're Steeler fans, right?

StainlessStill
01-15-2013, 06:38 PM
3 of those 5 games above the Steelers lost in the Tomlin/Harbaugh battle had Roethlisberger out of the lineup. Just sayin!

lloydwoodson
01-15-2013, 07:04 PM
I can't stand the Harbaughs. They are nauseating. Watching them stand at midfield repeating "I love you, Bro" to each other like drunk fraternity members after games should result in NFL fines for "unwatchable conduct."

SF got a TON of pieces to their team after Singletary left: Whitner, Rogers, Aldon Smith and Bowman on defense were HUGE additions, the emergence of Iupati, Davis and Crabtree were big for the offense. The new 49ers OC is probably the best in the league. Look at the success Alex Smith FINALLY had and the success Kaepernick is having. Greg Roman might actually be a genius.

I still think Singletary changed the attitude on that team and started things moving in the right direction.

As far as the Ravens they wouldn't even be a playoff team without Flacco. The Ravens defense has declined hugely under Harbaugh. Flacco is just too elite- you can't keep the guy out of the playoffs.

stb_steeler
01-15-2013, 07:07 PM
I hate to admit it, but I'm jealous of both the San Francisco 49ers and the hated Baltimore Ugly Crows. Why? Because they have the Harbaughs for their head coaches, and these guys seem to know how to make tough decisions, identify talent, and put together tough, high-achieving teams. And I haven't noticed them screwing up challenges, rolling the dice on crazy plays, wasting timeouts and mismanaging clocks on Sunday afternoons. These guys are the real deal, seriously, they're up there with very few others (and we all know who they are).

I'm jealous, I gotta admit it. I'd like to have a top tier head coach, too. It's not that I don't like Tomlin, there are surely many worse; and the Steelers infrastructure can provide a lot of support that can help an OK coach succeed. But wow, wouldn't it be great to go to war with the best possible leadership?

If the Steelers were in the drivers seat right now would you still be jealous?
just wondering cause we cant win all the time.

sloppyjoe
01-15-2013, 07:26 PM
i hate both the harbaughs but they do seem to get the most out of their players.
i would take either over dipshit tho

PhantomJB93
01-15-2013, 07:50 PM
This is it. This is the last straw. I can't take the stupidity anymore. The Tomlin criticism was stupid enough already, but seeing a Steeler fan who legitimately wishes we had one of these scumbag, lowlife, arrogant loser pricks for a coach over Tomlin makes me want to drink bleach.

austinfrench76
01-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Don't agree at all. Screw them both with their combined ZERO rings.

TheVet
01-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Geeeze, I'm not even one of those guys on the dump Tomlin bandwagon, he's an OK head coach. Combined with Steeler ownership, front office and infrastructure, and an elite QB, he's part of a winning combination. I just dream of what could be if he were an excellent coach.

But if we had one of the Harbaughs here, you guys would love him - he'd be your coach, and you would love the tough team that he rolled out every week. That's a fact, and in a strange way, this thread makes it obvious.

Blackout
01-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Jealous of who?

We go 8-8 and someone is jealous of not having one of the Harbaugh's as our HC?

You gotta be fucking kidding me.

lloydwoodson
01-15-2013, 09:15 PM
I will take this guy!!!

sIcBPMUk9tM&list=PL75FD9D91A6967155

Go Steelers!!!

teegre
01-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Vet, I get what you are trying to say: the Harbaughs are good coaches. I agree with that. Well... Jim is a good coach. John is simply a whining douche.

Regardless, BB is my QB... and Tomlin is my coach.

Everyone elks can have Drew Brees & Peyton Manning. Everyone else can have Sean Payton and Jim Harbaugh. I'll stick with BB over any other QB, and with Tomlin over any other coach.

Oh, and my two guys have been to two SuperBowls and won one in the past five years. No one else can say that.

Hawaii 5-0
01-15-2013, 09:43 PM
i hate both the harbaughs but they do seem to get the most out of their players.
i would take either over dipshit tho

if I were a mod I would have to ban you for life for this blasphemy...:pissed:

TheVet
01-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Vet, I get what you are trying to say: the Harbaughs are good coaches. I agree with that. Well... Jim is a good coach. John is simply a whining douche.

Regardless, BB is my QB... and Tomlin is my coach.

Everyone elks can have Drew Brees & Peyton Manning. Everyone else can have Sean Payton and Jim Harbaugh. I'll stick with BB over any other QB, and with Tomlin over any other coach.

Oh, and my two guys have been to two SuperBowls and won one in the past five years. No one else can say that.

OK look guys, I'm 100% in agreement here. Let me echo the esteemed teegre's point: Regardless, BB is my QB... and Tomlin is my coach.

Sure, when some young, hot, rich chick walks up and offers to buy me a drink and dinner, I'm naturally gonna accept (this happens all the time) :thumbsup: but in no way does that change my total commitment to my wife. It's no different here.

Yeah there are things I'd like to change about Ben, but he's already done enough to earn permanent loyalty - even if he never grows into the world-beater than he could be. Yes there may be better QBs out there, but Ben's my man until he can't do it anymore.

As for Tomlin, let's just be honest, it's a bit less so. It would be nice to see some growth, and a bit less of the same old mistakes repeated again and again. But if he's good enough for the Rooney's, he's good enough for me. I just wish that he was better than good enough, because good enough doesn't take you to the same place as great. And the Harbaughs are more than good enough, and that hurts a bit for this Steelers fan.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-16-2013, 06:47 PM
As for Tomlin, let's just be honest, it's a bit less so. It would be nice to see some growth, and a bit less of the same old mistakes repeated again and again. But if he's good enough for the Rooney's, he's good enough for me. I just wish that he was better than good enough, because good enough doesn't take you to the same place as great. And the Harbaughs are more than good enough, and that hurts a bit for this Steelers fan.

I hear what you are saying and can at times sympathize, but for personal reasons-- I can't stand either one of them. Both of them are a couple of **********s, in my opinion.

John and his whiney "WAHHHHH! We can't play the Steelers at home for the season opener!" and the other d-bag who does not shake hands with other coaches.

I especially love the face John Harbaugh makes when we beat his team and he thought he had a sure victory. The one on his face when the Steelers cmae back from 21-7 in the playoffs was PRICELESS. This last time when they lost to Charlie Batch, he looked like he was going to go home to a bottle of suds to cry.

Millers the sh!t
01-16-2013, 07:38 PM

Yep, and the harbaughs teams are consistent and remain in the playoffs year after year. Tomlins lack of coaching skills and team building are starting to shine through now that cowher men are vanishing. Our team is getting worst. Harbaughs ravens are and have been the king of the afc North and until tomlins strives to improve his game and get the most out of his lazy players, things will remain the same. If you haven't noticed Tomlin lovers, we went from consistently being the king of the afc north to being third place. We are now the Bengals. Raven are now the Steelers and the Bengals are now the ravens. Way to stay on track Tomlin... You the man! You went to two superbowl under cowhers regime and Dick lebeau, now we are an embarrassment only thing we have left is our god of a D coordinator Dick lebeau. When he.go's, well be the browns. You the man Tomlin.... Talk is cheap, start winning or go be a speech writer for a politician.

To be honest... The harbuaghs would each have one superbowl appearance if is wasn't for a simple FLUKE special teams mistake. Harbuaghs will be in contention for Yeats to come. Onky decision I didn't like about the ravens is that they kept Cameron on for so long and handicapped ray rice so much. Now harbuagh has fixed that issue and are putting up more points.

SteelersCanada
01-16-2013, 07:49 PM

Jim Harbaugh walked into:

Patrick Willis
Aldon Smith
Anthony Davis
Mike Iupati
Navarro Bowman
Michael Crabtree
Joe Staley
Dashon Goldson
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore

bold = Pro Bowl.

Every player on that list except Davis and Crabtree are Pro Bowl players. He walked into 8 Pro Bowl players and because he didn't have his head far, far up his ass they're starting to become a threat now. Someone is going to have to explain to me why that's impressive. Anyone other than the garbage San Fran was hiring could have taken that team to a title game (now two) because of the talent. The scouts / GM were doing their jobs, but here comes a coach that understands the basics of football and holy shit, they're a contender with arguably a top-two defense.

Who could have seen that coming?

edit -- also, fuck the Cowhers players!!!!!!1111one! argument. It took 15 years for Cowher to win with his players and it took Tomlin one year to win with them. So, in reality, who's the better coach? The whole Cowher's players argument is the dumbest piece of rhetoric garbage that gets puked up on this site time and time again from fans that just don't know any better. It's no wonder why every single other team in the NFL hates us. We bitch about Roethlisberger. We bitch about Tomlin. We bitch about one down season and we bitch that we're going off the hill and this is it for us. Why don't we ask teams that are legitimately struggling and have been for some time what it's like to cheer for a constant loser? Teams that legitimately don't have a HC or franchise Quarterback like Roethlisberger. Could we sound any more like spoiled little babies than we are right now?

Millers the sh!t
01-16-2013, 08:13 PM

Patrick Willis
Aldon Smith
Anthony Davis
Mike Iupati
Navarro Bowman
Michael Crabtree
Joe Staley
Dashon Goldson
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore

bold = Pro Bowl.

Every player on that list except Davis and Crabtree tuare Pro Bowl players. He walked into 8 Pro Bowl players and because he didn't have his head far, far up his ass they're starting to become a threat now. Someone is going to have to explain to me why that's impressive. Anyone other than the garbage San Fran was hiring could have taken that team to a title game (now two) because of the talent. The scouts / GM were doing their jobs, but here comes a coach that understands the basics of football and holy shit, they're a contender with arguably a top-two defense.

edit -- also, fuck the Cowhers players!!!!!!1111one! argument. It took 15 years for Cowher to win with his players and it took Tomlin one year to win with them. So, in reality, who's the better coach? The whole Cowher's players argument is the dumbest piece of rhetoric garbage that gets puked up on this site time and time again from fans that just don't know any better. It's no wonder why every single other team in the NFL hates us. We bitch about Roethlisberger. We bitch about Tomlin. We bitch about one down season and we bitch that we're going off the hill and this is it for us. Why don't we ask teams that are legitimately struggling and have been for some time what it's like to cheer for a constant loser? Teams that legitimately don't have a HC or franchise Quarterback like Roethlisberger. Could we sound any more like spoiled little babies than we are right now?

Yeah, so with all that talent, where was San Fran before Jim came to town? A bunch of undisciplined non playoff making non household name players. Jim comes to town and turns the team into an INSTANT threat and the best team in the NFL. It's the coach that's gets the most out of his players that wins. Just like belichick. Tomlins he opposite. Players like to play for him cause he is soft and ain't really in charge. Players do just enough under his watch. I'd take a coach that turns a team into a threat, instead of a coach that turns a threat into a laughing stock. I'll take a coach that gets the mist out of his players instead of the coach that "everyone wants to play for" Tomlin needs to start getting tough with his men and make these young players play to their absolute best. The lack of discipline showed through EVERY GAME this season and costs us a lot of wins. The more that Cowhers players leave our team, the sloppier and embarrassing we become. Watch the regression over the past 6 seasons. Can't argue with the facts man. Tomlin needs to step up and be a father to the kids, not the cool parent to the kids.

harrison'samonster
01-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Yeah, so with all that talent, where was San Fran before Jim came to town? A bunch of undisciplined non playoff making non household name players. Jim comes to town and turns the team into an INSTANT threat and the best team in the NFL. It's the coach that's gets the most out of his players that wins. Just like belichick. Tomlins he opposite. Players like to play for him cause he is soft and ain't really in charge. Players do just enough under his watch. I'd take a coach that turns a team into a threat, instead of a coach that turns a threat into a laughing stock. I'll take a coach that gets the mist out of his players instead of the coach that "everyone wants to play for" Tomlin needs to start getting tough with his men and make these young players play to their absolute best. The lack of discipline showed through EVERY GAME this season and costs us a lot of wins. The more that Cowhers players leave our team, the sloppier and embarrassing we become. Watch the regression over the past 6 seasons. Can't argue with the facts man. Tomlin needs to step up and be a father to the kids, not the cool parent to the kids.

These players don't need a father, they're groan men. They need to hold themselves accountable.

lipps83
01-16-2013, 08:20 PM

Patrick Willis
Aldon Smith
Anthony Davis
Mike Iupati
Navarro Bowman
Michael Crabtree
Joe Staley
Dashon Goldson
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore

bold = Pro Bowl.

Every player on that list except Davis and Crabtree are Pro Bowl players. He walked into 8 Pro Bowl players and because he didn't have his head far, far up his ass they're starting to become a threat now. Someone is going to have to explain to me why that's impressive. Anyone other than the garbage San Fran was hiring could have taken that team to a title game (now two) because of the talent. The scouts / GM were doing their jobs, but here comes a coach that understands the basics of football and holy shit, they're a contender with arguably a top-two defense.

The 2nd guy on that list was drafted by Harbaugh. Bowman wasn't even a starter until Harbaugh got there.

Half the guys on that list didn't make the most overrated game until Harbaugh turned the 49'ers around. They were just another body on a horrible team, nothing great.

That's like giving Cowher credit for James Harrison when he didn't even start him. Harrison wasn't a starter until Tomlin came around.

I don't care who you are and what team you take over. Every team, even the worst ones, have some damn good players. Sometimes it takes a coach that is willing to exploit your best abilities instead of trying to force you to do something you do not do well like the Steelers are doing with some of their players.

SteelersCanada
01-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Yeah, so with all that talent, where was San Fran before Jim came to town?

So, I already addressed this. An average coach that had some idea what he was doing could've taken that team to any kind of success. It's not hard when half of your defense are Pro Bowl players.

A bunch of undisciplined non playoff making non household name players. Jim comes to town and turns the team into an INSTANT threat and the best team in the NFL. It's the coach that's gets the most out of his players that wins. Just like belichick.

You're right! Jim is exactly like Bill Belichick! Minus all the Super Bowl rings and the playoff wins, but other than those stats, they're exactly similar! They could be confused for twins.

This is a ridiculous comparison. Bill is one of the best coaches of all time, and Harbaugh has yet to go to a Super Bowl.

Tomlins he opposite. Players like to play for him cause he is soft and ain't really in charge. Players do just enough under his watch. I'd take a coach that turns a team into a threat, instead of a coach that turns a threat into a laughing stock. I'll take a coach that gets the mist out of his players instead of the coach that "everyone wants to play for" Tomlin needs to start getting tough with his men and make these young players play to their absolute best.

How did I know this was coming? The Steelers are a laughing stock because they went 8-8? Tomlin is yet to have a losing season. Let's take your buddy Cowher and his record, shall we? Tomlin has done the exact same things in terms of Super Bowl appearances and victories that Bill has done in about 1/4th the time. He has yet to have a losing season and despite losing his franchise Quarterback for 3 games, still managed a .500 season.

The lack of discipline showed through EVERY GAME this season and costs us a lot of wins. The more that Cowhers players leave our team, the sloppier and embarrassing we become. Watch the regression over the past 6 seasons. Can't argue with the facts man. Tomlin needs to step up and be a father to the kids, not the cool parent to the kids.

So, the year all of our veteran leadership is released and the fact that we start playing undisciplined football is just a huge coincidence? Those two things aren't related? I can't argue with the facts? In the last 6 years we've been to two Super Bowls. Is this post a joke? I feel like I'm living in the twilight zone right now.

The lack of discipline was caused by the lack of leadership. That's going to change this offseason. How about, instead of attacking non-issues and non-problems (like how the last six years have been 'regression years' despite going to, again, two fucking Super Bowls and winning one of them) we focus on the lack of true leadership this team has? Let's focus on the problems, not make ones up out of frustration.

lloydwoodson
01-16-2013, 08:48 PM
I agree with Steelers Canada 100%. The 49ers added a LOT of pieces as Jim Harbaugh joined the team. I made the same point in another post. John Harbaugh inherited a top 5 defense and a good quarterback.

The Steelers have owned the Ravens in the playoffs... or does no one watch the games? Tomlin is 6-6 vs the Ravens in the regular season and 2-0 in the playoffs. (At least 3 of the regular season games were played without Ben).

Tomlin is 63-33 in the regular season and 5-3 in the playoffs (with a superbowl).

This is the coach people have a problem with? Because he is a "player's coach"? Ask the running backs how much of a "player's coach" Tomlin is.

lloydwoodson
01-16-2013, 08:53 PM
fuTkxfmOHwE

I fully believe that Tomlin will take the Steelers from squashing grapes this past season to making wine next season! Bottoms up!

steeltheone
01-16-2013, 09:00 PM
I agree with Steelers Canada 100%. The 49ers added a LOT of pieces as Jim Harbaugh joined the team. I made the same point in another post. John Harbaugh inherited a top 5 defense and a good quarterback.

The Steelers have owned the Ravens in the playoffs... or does no one watch the games? Tomlin is 6-6 vs the Ravens in the regular season and 2-0 in the playoffs. (At least 3 of the regular season games were played without Ben).

Tomlin is 63-33 in the regular season and 5-3 in the playoffs (with a superbowl).

This is the coach people have a problem with? Because he is a "player's coach"? Ask the running backs how much of a "player's coach" Tomlin is.

Alex Smith was an average struggling QB on his way out of town when Harbaugh came in. You have to give Harbaugh credit for the work he did with Smith.

Harbaugh's decision to bench Smith for Kap may go down as one of the gutsiest moves by a coach in recent NFL history.

Steel_Bus_24
01-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Both harbaughs can go kick rocks.....

Im ticked off with Tomlin on some things but theres no way Id take either Harbaugh over him...

lloydwoodson
01-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Alex Smith was an average struggling QB on his way out of town when Harbaugh came in. You have to give Harbaugh credit for the work he did with Smith.

Harbaugh's decision to bench Smith for Kap may go down as one of the gutsiest moves by a coach in recent NFL history.

I don't see Alex Smith or Kaepernick being better than the other. They have run the offense about the same in terms of effectiveness.

It was a gutsy move mainly because Smith was 6-2-1 at the time, and completing over 70% of his passes.

I think Greg Roman deserves some credit for the 49ers QBs success he is the guy who calls the plays. And let's not forget the additions of Crabtree, A Davis, Iupati, and Manningham. I don't like the Harbaughs they are obnoxious but they have done good jobs as coaches.

Tomlin is still better.

I don't think I could take another Harbaugh bowl...

John: "Whatever happens I just want you to know I love you, Bro."

Jim: "I love you too, Bro."

John: "Bro, I love you more."

Jim: "No way, Bro."

Ad nauseam.

SteelersCanada
01-16-2013, 11:29 PM

Oh you mean implement a system where he throws the ball 7 yards down the field as his longest attempt so his numbers shot up? That system? Any quarterback can work in that system and have success because it's not an NFL system. It's a collegiate level system for struggling QBs and they still have it implemented because they don't have a legitimate QB on their roster. I'm sorry, have you seen Colin Kaepernick try to throw a deep ball? It's embarrassing.

People are comparing Kaepernick to Newton and that comparison is insulting and ridiculous. Kaep better compares to a more glorified Tebow with a slightly more accurate deep ball, but very similar throwing motion.

Bottom line, he implemented a system that suits his QBs talent level and I applaud him for that, but he's not the reason they're doing well. To suggest that he was the big piece that fit it all together is laughable. If Norv Turner was down in San Fran, they'd be competing for a title too. He's made questionable coaching decisions but because a) it's the 49ers and b) they have a decent record, he's being taken off the hook for it. Why is no one asking why they're losing to weaker teams and their offense is ridiculously inconsistent? Why is no one asking why they're such a bad team on the road and consistently struggle against top-end quarterbacks?

lloydwoodson
01-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Yeah I agree that A Smith basically went from an average qb on a bad team to an average qb on a good team. I don't think there is anything wrong with SF's "game manager" offense- it is simple, effective and scores points.... most of the time.

People probably wouldn't be "jealous" of J. Harbaugh after his Niners lost 26-3 to the NYG or 42-13 to SEA. Or how about when the Ravens got stomped by the Texans 43-13?

teegre
01-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Yep, and the harbaughs teams are consistent and remain in the playoffs year after year. Tomlins lack of coaching skills and team building are starting to shine through now that cowher men are vanishing. Our team is getting worst. Harbaughs ravens are and have been the king of the afc North and until tomlins strives to improve his game and get the most out of his lazy players, things will remain the same. If you haven't noticed Tomlin lovers, we went from consistently being the king of the afc north to being third place. We are now the Bengals. Raven are now the Steelers and the Bengals are now the ravens. Way to stay on track Tomlin... You the man! You went to two superbowl under cowhers regime and Dick lebeau, now we are an embarrassment only thing we have left is our god of a D coordinator Dick lebeau. When he.go's, well be the browns. You the man Tomlin.... Talk is cheap, start winning or go be a speech writer for a politician.

To be honest... The harbuaghs would each have one superbowl appearance if is wasn't for a simple FLUKE special teams mistake. Harbuaghs will be in contention for Yeats to come. Onky decision I didn't like about the ravens is that they kept Cameron on for so long and handicapped ray rice so much. Now harbuagh has fixed that issue and are putting up more points.

Uh... what?

Douche Harbaugh: four seasons, zero SuperBowl appearances... yeah!!!

Last six AFC North champs: Steelers, Steelers, Bengals, Steelers, Ravens, Ravens.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda SuperBowl appearances: Steelers should have won it last year... and the year before that...

Tomlin's additions: Wallace, AB, Pouncey, DD, Adams, Gilbert, Mendy, Timmons, Woodley, Lewis, Allen, Heyward, Hood... that's a lot.

Again... uh... what?

steeltheone
01-17-2013, 04:46 AM
Uh... what?

Last six AFC North champs: Steelers, Steelers, Bengals, Steelers, Ravens, Ravens.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda SuperBowl appearances: Steelers should have won it last year... and the year before that...

Tomlin's additions: Wallace, AB, Pouncey, DD, Adams, Gilbert, Mendy, Timmons, Woodley, Lewis, Allen, Heyward, Hood... that's a lot.

Again... uh... what?

I'm not here to argue about Harbaugh or Tomlin being the better coach, but that list of Tomlin additions over 6 years is not real impressive.

steeltheone
01-17-2013, 04:54 AM
Oh you mean implement a system where he throws the ball 7 yards down the field as his longest attempt so his numbers shot up? That system? Any quarterback can work in that system and have success because it's not an NFL system. It's a collegiate level system for struggling QBs and they still have it implemented because they don't have a legitimate QB on their roster. I'm sorry, have you seen Colin Kaepernick try to throw a deep ball? It's embarrassing.

People are comparing Kaepernick to Newton and that comparison is insulting and ridiculous. Kaep better compares to a more glorified Tebow with a slightly more accurate deep ball, but very similar throwing motion.

Bottom line, he implemented a system that suits his QBs talent level and I applaud him for that, but he's not the reason they're doing well. To suggest that he was the big piece that fit it all together is laughable. If Norv Turner was down in San Fran, they'd be competing for a title too. He's made questionable coaching decisions but because a) it's the 49ers and b) they have a decent record, he's being taken off the hook for it. Why is no one asking why they're losing to weaker teams and their offense is ridiculously inconsistent? Why is no one asking why they're such a bad team on the road and consistently struggle against top-end quarterbacks?

Sounds like haleys system???

Cam Newton will never make it to the big game.

When you make it to the NFC Championship game, nobody cares about your regular season struggles against weaker teams or top QB'S.

Millers the sh!t
01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Uh... what?

Again... uh... what?

Uh what.. you're only backing up my argument son. As Cowhers players leave we are dropping in the ranks. And that all star crew of Tomlin players.... How many are legit? Pouncey and Brown.... The rest are unproven or lack discipline and are comfortable being 70% of what they could be. Let's see how many superbowl Tomlin gets to now that the team is mostly his now.... So far he off to an embarassing start... Take off your blinders, clean the snot out of your eyes and look at the truth man.

Jim benching a good quarterback to start a back up over him takes balls and it takes a move from a head coach that says what he means, and means what he says. Tomlin don't have what it takes to make great decisions. That's why year after year he fucks up routine in game decisions, and we see our younger, healthier 3rd year players riding the pine in place of some geriatric player who is well past their prime. The whole Aaron Smith handling was a joke 3 years of this guy's broken on the sidelines then we release a draft.pick to keep this guy part of the 53 man roster instead of IR him so we can actually use the spot for a player with a pulse. Big Bens injured ankle in San Fran shows how little control Tomlin has over the team. Tomlins a spineless coach with a lot of potential. He just needs to go with his gut and make HIS own decisions and catch up on situational football 101. I'm not saying to fire him, cause he is young and still learning a lot about the HC position. But what worries me about Tomlin is that I see the same mistakes over and over again, season after season. Lack of discipline on offense is the major flaw we have. I think we gave more games away under Tomlin than we have legitimately lost. Tomlin relies too much on his coordinators to run the ship, he also relies too much on Big Ben to win games. Tomlin must develop a disciplined o line and get back to being an effective run team again. Chumps who believe it's a passing league now are being fooled. Come playoff time it's all about running and defense. Tomlin puts the game in a player who misses 4 weeks out of the season, or is playing at 60% for 6 weeks out of the season. It doesn't take me 6 seasons to notice this, and it shouldn't take Tomlin 6 years either. This team needs to get back to its roots, it needs to get back to winning games, and not betting against Steelers when we are playing against 1-14 teams cause I know that I'll win the bet. You trying to honestly tell me that Tomlin is better than the Harbaughs when we consistently lose to the afc West? The team is on a downward spiral under Mike Tomlin and lack of discipline on offense, physicality on offense, lack of a running game, and TERRIBLE in game coaching decisions and situational football.

IF YOU LEARNED FROM YOUR MISTAKES TOMLIN, WE WOULD HAVE WON 3 MORE GAMES THIS SEASON, AND PROBABLY EVERY SEASON. GET THESE YOUNG MEN DISCIPLINED!

As far as your woulda coulda shoulda rant... Look who's back in the afccg, and the nfccg again. And look who didn't even make it to the playoffs this season. Any coach who STRUGGLES to win, and more often than not, CONSISTENTLY LOSES against the raiders, chiefs, and every other perennial two win team. Is NOT a good coach.... Just saying bro..... Tomlin coulda, shoulda, BUT wouldn'ta gotten our teams prepared to squash shit teams as mentioned, but prefers to fly back east with a notch in the L column... Tomlins a great coach..... Ha ha maybe in 15 years he be a legit GOOD-GREAT coach. as of now, he's just average with a good support group around him making him look better than he is.

steelfury02
01-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Cowher was here for 15 years. 1 SB victory, another appearance
Tomlin for 6. 1 SB victory, another appearance

Can we just get some perspective please. Tomlin and Ben will get at least 1-2 more really good chances at hoisting another one together. Don't underestimate the power of being humbled. We'll see what comes from it.

Just ease off - who else would you want if not Tomlin? Is he a sexy new up and coming coach? Not anymore - there's some chinks in the armor - but, this could prepare us all for something even better down the road. I'll bitch, you'll bitch, we'll all bitch in the meantime - but, let's keep SOME faith.

Millers the sh!t
01-17-2013, 12:33 PM
These players don't need a father, they're groan men. They need to hold themselves accountable.

It's a saying bro..... What it means is that Tomlin needs to get the most out of his players, whether he has to be an asshole or do it with a smile. Either way, tomlins too much of a bush to do it like an asshole so most of the players aren't even coming close to their full potential. We have a bunch of spoiled kids born and raised under Tomlin. It's gonna be ugly if Tomlin doesn't take his belt off once and a while. Threatening to bench any player who fumbles the ball the week after 70% of the offensive players fumbled the ball at least once, is not good coaching. Being tough and practicing fumbling drills and ball control drills so we NEVER HAVE THE ISSUE IN THE FIRST PLACE, is good coaching..

Millers the sh!t
01-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Cowher was here for 15 years. 1 SB victory, another appearance
Tomlin for 6. 1 SB victory, another appearance

Can we just get some perspective please. Tomlin and Ben will get at least 1-2 more really good chances at hoisting another one together. Don't underestimate the power of being humbled. We'll see what comes from it.

Just ease off - who else would you want if not Tomlin? Is he a sexy new up and coming coach? Not anymore - there's some chinks in the armor - but, this could prepare us all for something even better down the road. I'll bitch, you'll bitch, we'll all bitch in the meantime - but, let's keep SOME faith.

I believe there were 2-3 afccg that we were in against the patriots that we got cheated out of victories. I have footage directly after the game of players saying, "its like they knew what play we were running every down" turns out they did...

Anyways, cowher built a legendary team and handed it over in its prime. If cowher didn't lose his passion for the game we would have won at least one more ring with him ad the HC. Basically Tomlin just got his drivers license and daddy handed him the keys to a Lamborghini, great, he got some ***** with it over the next few years, and now it needs a well overdue oil change, and little Mikey don't even know how to pop the hood. It's a new era for Pittsburgh, and its the era for coach to learn. Hopefully it's not a rough era, but its looking like we will be having a few.9-7 season's ahead of us.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-17-2013, 01:29 PM
I believe there were 2-3 afccg that we were in against the patriots that we got cheated out of victories. I have footage directly after the game of players saying, "its like they knew what play we were running every down" turns out they did...

Anyways, cowher built a legendary team and handed it over in its prime. If cowher didn't lose his passion for the game we would have won at least one more ring with him ad the HC. Basically Tomlin just got his drivers license and daddy handed him the keys to a Lamborghini, great, he got some ***** with it over the next few years, and now it needs a well overdue oil change, and little Mikey don't even know how to pop the hood. It's a new era for Pittsburgh, and its the era for coach to learn. Hopefully it's not a rough era, but its looking like we will be having a few.9-7 season's ahead of us.

I usually slam the Tomlin-haters on here, but, you make a lot of good points.

Sure, Tomlin won a SB and took us to 2 in less time than it took Cowher. But Tomlin did not have to spend a decade and a half building that roster-- Cowher did.

Now that Cowher's guys are aging out, this team does seem to be in a tailspin of sorts. Our cap situation is upside down right now-- we have been spending most of our cap room to keep a number of aging, Cowher-era players around, at the expense of having no roster depth behind them. Now that they are getting old and getting hurt-- the backups behind them are not able to maintain the "standard".

teegre
01-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Uh what.. you're only backing up my argument son. As Cowhers players leave we are dropping in the ranks. And that all star crew of Tomlin players.... How many are legit? Pouncey and Brown.... The rest are unproven or lack discipline and are comfortable being 70% of what they could be. Let's see how many superbowl Tomlin gets to now that the team is mostly his now.... So far he off to an embarassing start... Take off your blinders, clean the snot out of your eyes and look at the truth man.

Jim benching a good quarterback to start a back up over him takes balls and it takes a move from a head coach that says what he means, and means what he says. Tomlin don't have what it takes to make great decisions. That's why year after year he fucks up routine in game decisions, and we see our younger, healthier 3rd year players riding the pine in place of some geriatric player who is well past their prime. The whole Aaron Smith handling was a joke 3 years of this guy's broken on the sidelines then we release a draft.pick to keep this guy part of the 53 man roster instead of IR him so we can actually use the spot for a player with a pulse. Big Bens injured ankle in San Fran shows how little control Tomlin has over the team. Tomlins a spineless coach with a lot of potential. He just needs to go with his gut and make HIS own decisions and catch up on situational football 101. I'm not saying to fire him, cause he is young and still learning a lot about the HC position. But what worries me about Tomlin is that I see the same mistakes over and over again, season after season. Lack of discipline on offense is the major flaw we have. I think we gave more games away under Tomlin than we have legitimately lost. Tomlin relies too much on his coordinators to run the ship, he also relies too much on Big Ben to win games. Tomlin must develop a disciplined o line and get back to being an effective run team again. Chumps who believe it's a passing league now are being fooled. Come playoff time it's all about running and defense. Tomlin puts the game in a player who misses 4 weeks out of the season, or is playing at 60% for 6 weeks out of the season. It doesn't take me 6 seasons to notice this, and it shouldn't take Tomlin 6 years either. This team needs to get back to its roots, it needs to get back to winning games, and not betting against Steelers when we are playing against 1-14 teams cause I know that I'll win the bet. You trying to honestly tell me that Tomlin is better than the Harbaughs when we consistently lose to the afc West? The team is on a downward spiral under Mike Tomlin and lack of discipline on offense, physicality on offense, lack of a running game, and TERRIBLE in game coaching decisions and situational football.

IF YOU LEARNED FROM YOUR MISTAKES TOMLIN, WE WOULD HAVE WON 3 MORE GAMES THIS SEASON, AND PROBABLY EVERY SEASON. GET THESE YOUNG MEN DISCIPLINED!

As far as your woulda coulda shoulda rant... Look who's back in the afccg, and the nfccg again. And look who didn't even make it to the playoffs this season. Any coach who STRUGGLES to win, and more often than not, CONSISTENTLY LOSES against the raiders, chiefs, and every other perennial two win team. Is NOT a good coach.... Just saying bro..... Tomlin coulda, shoulda, BUT wouldn'ta gotten our teams prepared to squash shit teams as mentioned, but prefers to fly back east with a notch in the L column... Tomlins a great coach..... Ha ha maybe in 15 years he be a legit GOOD-GREAT coach. as of now, he's just average with a good support group around him making him look better than he is.

You like going to the play-offs.
I like SuperBowl appearances & wins.

Both Harbaughs' SuperBowl appearances: 0.
Tomlin's SuperBowl appearances: 2.

BALLS
Did Jim benching of Alex Smith take balls? Absolutely. Will it win him a SuperBowl? Who knows. As of right now, he has ZERO SuperBowl appearances.

I'd say that the Pittsburgh version of a "ballsy move" was starting Harrison (who was rotting on the bench) and cutting the fan-favorite: Joey Porter. Now, THAT is just as ballsy as Jim's move.

COWHER'S PLAYERS
Here is the thing. Every time that a Tomlin bashing session starts, people always bring up Cowher's players... and it's a Catch-22 for those who defend Tomlin.

If one says that Tomlin's players are good (which I argue that they are: Pouncey, Wallace, et cetera were all good picks... plus, again starting Harrison was Tomlin's doing)... then the Tomlin-haters always say the same thing: "Tomlin is not getting the most out of those players."

If one says that Tomlin's players suck, then the Tomlin-haters say: "Tomlin is not good at drafting."

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of scenario for Tomlin supporters.

BUT...

When that same type of logic is turned on Cowher (who I absolutely LOVE, by the way), the Tomlin-haters do not apply the same logic. In 2006, Cowher could not get "his" players to the play-offs, let alone the SuperBowl. Using the Tomlin-hater's logic: "Cowher is not getting the most out of those players."

Lastly, Cowher left Tomlin with the worst O-line to win a SuperBowl. That alone should make people respect Tomlin just a little bit. Justin Hartwig... really???

NOLL'S PLAYERS
Again, I love Cowher, but every time someone mentions Cowher's players in regards to Tomlin... well... Noll's players should also be mentioned in regards to Cowher. I listed this several times (seemingly, every other week)... but, here is a truncated version: Greg Lloyd, Rod Woodson, Dermontti Dawson, Carnell Lake, Jeff Graham, Ernie Mills, Eric Green, Barry Foster, Gary Jones, Thomas Everett, Justin Stryzcyck, Jerol Williams, Gerald Williams, Hardy Nickerson, Merril Hoge... et cetera...

And, it took Cowher 4 years to get his team to the SuperBowl (versus going twice in Tomlin bhis first four seasons & winning one of them).

TAPERIOTS
We agree. Those cheaters robbed the Steelers of one (if no0t two) SuperBowl appearances. You nailed that one!!! [That is why I can NOT believe that some people are rooitng for the Taperiots. EFf that!!! I hate the Taperiots worse than any other team.]

teegre
01-17-2013, 06:17 PM
I usually slam the Tomlin-haters on here, but, you make a lot of good points.

Sure, Tomlin won a SB and took us to 2 in less time than it took Cowher. But Tomlin did not have to spend a decade and a half building that roster-- Cowher did.

Now that Cowher's guys are aging out, this team does seem to be in a tailspin of sorts. Our cap situation is upside down right now-- we have been spending most of our cap room to keep a number of aging, Cowher-era players around, at the expense of having no roster depth behind them. Now that they are getting old and getting hurt-- the backups behind them are not able to maintain the "standard".

I love Cowher... but, I have to defend Tomlin.

Cowher had a lot of Noll's players, and when those players got old and/or were off of the roster (Lake, Dawson, Woodson)... the team started missing the play-offs... badly... like a "six-win season" badly.

steelfury02
01-17-2013, 07:32 PM
In 6 seasons, we' have to experience two off years at 9-7, and then 8-8. If we see another playoff-less season then I'd start worrying - not now, let's see where these changes take us and get through some growing panis

fansince'76
01-17-2013, 07:45 PM
I love Cowher... but, I have to defend Tomlin.

Cowher had a lot of Noll's players, and when those players got old and/or were off of the roster (Lake, Dawson, Woodson)... the team started missing the play-offs... badly... like a "six-win season" badly.

In Cowher's defense, though, this team got CLOBBERED during the early years of free agency. We spent the latter part of the nineties being not much more than a farm team to the likes of the Niners and Cowboys. Draft 'em, develop 'em, then watch 'em leave through the revolving door of Three Rivers as soon as their rookie contract was up for more money.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-18-2013, 12:56 AM
In 6 seasons, we' have to experience two off years at 9-7, and then 8-8. If we see another playoff-less season then I'd start worrying - not now, let's see where these changes take us and get through some growing panis

With some of the talk from the front office of late, I have steeled myself to the possibility that we are in rebuilding mode. A couple of 8-8 seasons or worse, are on the way.

Has less to do with Tomlin, than it does with the birds coming home to roost from certain financial choices in the last four seasons.

I think Dan Rooney came home from Ireland to kick junior's arse, for mucking up his team.

I can't stand either Harbaugh, but have to admit they are good coaches though.

Everytime I see John Harbaugh's face, I want to kick it in. I think if you looked up c0xucker in the dictionary, his face is there. But his team is in the playoffs and we aren't going anywhere-- again.

A couple years ago, the niners were a fucking joke. Singletary was no coach, that's for sure. My homie is a niners fan-- I remember how he used to scream at the TV and yell about how embarassing his team is everytime Alex Smith threw yet another costly pick.

Jim turned that team around with little or no roster movement. They are probably on their way to the Superbowl this year, while the Steelers are sitting home.

It is what it is. You can hate them, but give them their due.

Tomlin inherited a SB team. He did a great job coaching them to another win and another appearance. 2006 was proof that just having the roster is not enough-- they need a leader.

But now it is time for Tomlin and Kevin Colbert to show us they can build a winning team from scratch. Well, almost-- I doubt Ben goes anywhere, nor do a few other players under contract or that we need (please sign Keenan)..

aa14
01-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Oh man, how sweet is this?! Watching Steeler fans fret about how they wished they had JOHN HARBAUGH as their coach! Made my week!:thumbsup:

Fire Arians
01-18-2013, 11:28 AM
fuck harblough, how many championships did they win? (we can even add their time as football players into the equation to be nice)

lol to the ravens fan above, i would like harblough as our coach about as much as i'd like flacco as my qb (not at all)

the only player on the ravens that i'd take would be ray rice and thats about it

steelfury02
01-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Oh man, how sweet is this?! Watching Steeler fans fret about how they wished they had JOHN HARBAUGH as their coach! Made my week!:thumbsup:

^you continue to make our week by spending time on our message boards. Our guys aren't even in the playoffs and you're seeking our thoughts. Complex much?

SteelersCanada
01-18-2013, 11:59 AM

Every fanbase has it's fair share of idiots. You're experiencing ours.

pete74
01-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Harbaugh from Baltimore hasn't won shit. He is a joke that inherited a good team but still can't win a ring. Now his brother in San Francisco is different. He took a bad team who were lost at the QB position and turned the into a top contender in his short time there. That's a good coach and I will definitely give him credit for whathe did to that team and eespecially Alex Smith even though he benched him this year.

steelerschik
01-18-2013, 01:16 PM

LOL, only a select fans who think the grass is greener on the other side, though what that may be since there are no SB wins to show for it is beyond me. I would rather have the Steelers leave the city of Pittsburgh than have anyone with the name Harbaugh associated with it. The mere thought of it makes my skin crawl. No thanks, I would pass on a team if the Harbarfs were the last 2 coaches left in the NFL.

BmoreStyles
01-19-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm definitely in the minority of Ravens' fans, but I'd take Tomlin over Harbaugh. Throw out the Super Bowls because in the end, players make the plays as seen by Lee Evans dropping Harb's first Super Bowl appearance last year. Neither Harbs nor Tomlin are X's and O's gurus like a Billicheck, and both of them rely heavily on their defensive and offensive coordinators. I see the main job of those type of head coaches to be master motivators, and I think Tomlin is a better motivator and the kind of coach that his players want to play hard for. Not all of Harb's players like him, though they respect him.

That being said, I think Jim Harbaugh is way better than both of them. He's got the X's and O's considering he was an NFL QB, and he's also a master motivator. Anyone who says they wouldn't want Jim Harbaugh as their coach is a goddamn ignorant FOOL. An IDIOT. Yeah I'm looking at you Steelerschick. Too see what he's done in both the college and pro ranks is very impressive.

But anyway, yeah I'd take Tomlin over John Harbaugh.

desertsteel
01-19-2013, 01:54 PM
injuries, injuries, injuries - Tomlin is a fantastic coach in that he won't accept that as an excuse, even though the Steelers have been the most decimated team two seasons in a row . . .

Actually there were 10 teams who lost more starts to injuries than the Steelers this year and 4 of those teams were in the playoffs. I'm not sure where that crap gets started.

steelfury02
01-19-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm definitely in the minority of Ravens' fans, but I'd take Tomlin over Harbaugh. Throw out the Super Bowls because in the end, players make the plays as seen by Lee Evans dropping Harb's first Super Bowl appearance last year. Neither Harbs nor Tomlin are X's and O's gurus like a Billicheck, and both of them rely heavily on their defensive and offensive coordinators. I see the main job of those type of head coaches to be master motivators, and I think Tomlin is a better motivator and the kind of coach that his players want to play hard for. Not all of Harb's players like him, though they respect him.

That being said, I think Jim Harbaugh is way better than both of them. He's got the X's and O's considering he was an NFL QB, and he's also a master motivator. Anyone who says they wouldn't want Jim Harbaugh as their coach is a goddamn ignorant FOOL. An IDIOT. Yeah I'm looking at you Steelerschick. Too see what he's done in both the college and pro ranks is very impressive.

But anyway, yeah I'd take Tomlin over John Harbaugh.

Very fair assessment - I'd still hold on and see how Jim Harbaugh responds to aging vets on his defense and losing O-linemen left and right on offense. A little adversity and a few more seasons and we'll see where everyone stands. Thanks for your honest and open-minded assessment. There are moments where I wish I was seeing a different appraoch out of Tomlin, but he's our guy for now and I have to back him while still holding the right as a paying fan to piss and moan:chuckle:

desertsteel
01-19-2013, 01:58 PM
All I know is that both of the Harbaugh teams CHOKED in last year's championship games. If that was Tomlin, it would all be his fault by you Tomlin haters.

steelfury02
01-19-2013, 02:08 PM
All I know is that both of the Harbaugh teams CHOKED in last year's championship games. If that was Tomlin, it would all be his fault by you Tomlin haters.

No - Marty is at fault

Twentyvalve
01-19-2013, 06:41 PM
I don't think anyone said that. I see a few instances of members giving Harbaugh credit, but none actually said that.

I can say I don't want John Harbaugh for a coach. I don't care if he was coaching a nuns knitting team, he would scream and yell and act like the lower form of life he is. I live in Maryland, very near Baltimore, so I am subject to his smarmy self-absorbed narcissistic personality on a regular basis. Anybody who thinks he has a modicum of decency needs to reexamine their own sense of morality. I will tell you this - if they lose, even by 40 points, he will blame everybody but his team, himself, and the other team for actually beating him. He is embarrassment to those of us who walk upright.

steel striker
01-19-2013, 06:54 PM
I can't stand either of them either because , they both do nothing but whine & complain lose their mind when the call does not go their way. Then when Jim Hairball said the nfc w was the best division in football he does not have a clue!

steelerchad
01-20-2013, 08:41 AM
The idea of John Harbaugh coaching the Steelers is completely laughable. I would be embarrassed to have him as our coach. He fits perfectly in Baltimore. I like him right where he is.

defence
01-20-2013, 11:15 AM
The idea of John Harbaugh coaching the Steelers is completely laughable. I would be embarrassed to have him as our coach. He fits perfectly in Baltimore. I like him right where he is.

Why cause he shows emotion and passion. Give credit where it's due. He took an average team up to Denver and beat a good team. He does deserve credit for that. His brother has way more talent in SF so John has done quite a job to get the team where it is. I'd like to see more life out of Tomlin sometimes.

steelerchad
01-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Why cause he shows emotion and passion. Give credit where it's due. He took an average team up to Denver and beat a good team. He does deserve credit for that. His brother has way more talent in SF so John has done quite a job to get the team where it is. I'd like to see more life out of Tomlin sometimes.

whatever, the Ravens were preseason favorites to get back to this point from most experts. They hit a rough patch with injuries and have now righted the ship. The Steelers were picked by most to finish right where they did, 3rd and around 8-8. So, I think both coaches got their teams about where they were suppossed to this year with the talent they had.
John Harbaugh has done fine, he's done a good job for the Ravens. I don't like his demeanor or personality as my teams coach, that's all. And I don't think the Rooney's would either.
For what it's worth, he's accomplished far less than Tomlin to this point. Just because a coach doesn't make an ass out of himself on the sidelines or in interviews doesn't mean he's not a good coach.

I'd like to know how Ravens fans felt about their team blowing a 14 point lead in a divisional playoff game in Pittsburgh. Their team was shitting their pants as it was happening in the second half. That's on the coach. He couldn't stop the bleeding and you could feel the momentum of that game shift and the Ravens froze up and choked that game away. Conversely, doesn't Tomlin get any credit for that comeback win and subsequent win in the AFC championship?

Both have been good, Tomlin statistically has just been a little better. Couple that with the fact that I prefer his demeanor and Tomlin's the coach for me.

Lady Steel
01-20-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm not jealous of the Harbaughs. I'm jealous that both their teams are in their respective conference championship games and mine isn't. :frown:

lipps83
01-20-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm not jealous of the Harbaughs. I'm jealous that both their teams are in their respective conference championship games and mine isn't. :frown:

Well, the 49'ers are getting ready to travel to the Super Bowl. Jim is in. Let's see what happens with the other Harbaugh team.

PhantomJB93
01-20-2013, 05:12 PM
How can anybody ever want a coach who does this? I mean seriously?

I don't give a shit what their teams accomplished, they're ignorant, pathetic little children

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/social_assets/nfl/2012_Postseason/NFC_Championship/HarbaughReacts.gif

wwhickok
01-20-2013, 05:19 PM
I dont care who wins the AFC Championship game I dont think I can bring myself to cheer for either of them...even if it means we are not the only team with six rings.

MACH1
01-20-2013, 05:23 PM

I don't give a shit what their teams accomplished, they're ignorant, pathetic little children

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/social_assets/nfl/2012_Postseason/NFC_Championship/HarbaughReacts.gif

You do know they both act like that.

PhantomJB93
01-20-2013, 05:28 PM
You do know they both act like that.

Oh believe me, I know. I hate both their guts. With a passion. John sucks, although I will admit Jim is a good coach, but they're both complete assholes.

Millers the sh!t
01-20-2013, 05:33 PM

I'll take a coach who shows passion on the sidelines over a blank faced idiot who claps every time something bad happens.

sloppyjoe
01-20-2013, 05:38 PM
the guy is a major league douchebag but he gets th most out of his players. thats all you want out of a coach.

lipps83
01-20-2013, 05:39 PM
I'll take a coach who shows passion on the sidelines over a blank faced idiot who claps every time something bad happens.

Yep, but we want our coaches to be robots and not exhibit any type of passion.

People will say anything to diminish the accomplishments of another.

SteelersCanada
01-20-2013, 05:52 PM
I don't want a frothing-at-the-mouth clown for a coach.

desertsteel
01-20-2013, 05:59 PM

Yeah Noll was a terrible coach.

Millers the sh!t
01-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Yeah Noll was a terrible coach.

Yeah, so aren't the Harbaughs.........

desertsteel
01-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Jim > John

GMU Steeler
01-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Jim > John

Agreed. Honestly if the Niners weren't one away from six, I would have rooted for them earlier with little reservations.

TheVet
01-20-2013, 07:39 PM
AFC Championship, 4th down, first quarter, NE in Balt territory, Punt team comes on, but with a slight change in personnel. Before the snap, a sudden shift and realignment; is the fake punt on? Harbaugh recognizes the change in personnel and formation, as Belichick knew that he would, and he calls the timeout - as Belichick knew that he must. A mastermind vs. a top-tier young coach, and the master extracts a small strategic concession. The accumulation of small advantages is always desirable; one never knows which small edge may lead to victory.

Meanwhile, at the mid-tier of NFL coaching, timeouts are tossed around more freely, reflecting a lack of awareness of their strategic value, along with weaker preparation in general. A Belichick or a Harbaugh has no need to deploy subtle stratagems to extract a timeout from a Tomlin; at this stage in Tomlin's development, those concessions still come for free.

The standard is the standard, but oh how I wish that our head-coaching standard was approaching that top-tier level. Perhaps with experience, it will, eventually. Oh how I wish the progression was faster.

lipps83
01-20-2013, 08:16 PM
the guy is a major league douchebag but he gets th most out of his players. thats all you want out of a coach.

Yeah, I don't care if our coach where's a clown suit on the sideilne and acts like a moron. I care that he puts his players in the best position that the player can succeed.

The Steelers seem to be trending towards trying to fit square pegs in round holes (Hood, Heyward and so on).

The Harbaughs are good coaches, and right now it appears like it is going to be a Harbaugh Super Bowl. Right now there is 11 minutes left and the Ravens are up 28-13 so things could certainly change.

The Ravens making would be much more impressive, since they do not have a good offense and the defense is a shell of what it once was.

I remember someone saying you need a franchise QB to win the Super Bowl on this very forum. Doesn't appear to be the case unless you think Flacco and Kaepernick are franchise QB's.

You need a good team and a good coach.

I think the 49'ers are going to take it.

harrison'samonster
01-20-2013, 08:34 PM
not sure if that's true, I don't know how you would prove it if it were true.

renatus
01-20-2013, 08:43 PM
tomiln..1 sb, 4 years in the playoffs, 4 division titles, .667 winning record but from day one he was never fully supported by a big chunk of posters here for no significant reason

jb500ex
01-20-2013, 08:50 PM
2 yrs no playoffs 4 of 6 yrs no playoff wins with Big Ben. Jim has two cc game appearances with Alex smith and kaepernick. John takes flacco both better coaches will be back, not sure tomlin will ever get back. Tomlin is a terrible game day coach and a terrible coach at preparing the team week in week out. He is also known for not making adjustments and had not shown he can coach talent up.

renatus
01-20-2013, 08:52 PM
yes 2 in 6 with no playoffs is " terrible" fire him right now....

steelfury02
01-20-2013, 08:57 PM
"Harbur Berwl De Derp De Derp De tweedely poopity pohr"

Screw that shit - 1 Harbaugh is going to lose, thus - Tomlin is at least better than 1 of them. Also - will still have 1 more SB appearance

This will be the worst 2 weeks for a football fan unless youre a Ravens/49ers fan - Lots of videos of Ray Lewis looking for cameras so he can pray in front of them - what a fucking spectacle he makes of himself. Also - "The Harbaugh Parents must be so proud de derp."

I might actually only check the scores for this SB. The free beer and wings at the party will be the best part by far.

fansince'76
01-20-2013, 08:58 PM
tomiln..1 sb, 4 years in the playoffs, 4 division titles, .667 winning record but from day one he was never fully supported by a big chunk of posters here for no significant reason

Because he doesn't spit and scream! :rolleyes:

These people would have had a fucking conniption over Noll's sideline demeanor.

TheVet
01-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Wow, both Harbaughs make half-time adjustments, and both teams shut out their #1 seed opponents in the conference championship games - on the road. Wow.

You know, I bleed black and gold too, but I would stop watching football if I ever lost my appreciation for excellence.

fansince'76
01-20-2013, 09:00 PM
John takes flacco both better coaches will be back, not sure tomlin will ever get back. Tomlin is a terrible game day coach and a terrible coach at preparing the team week in week out. He is also known for not making adjustments and had not shown he can coach talent up.

Let me know when John Harbaugh surpasses Tomlin head-to-head. or beats him in the playoffs. :coffee:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/Tomlin-Harbaugh-head-2-head.jpg

fansince'76
01-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Wow, both Harbaughs make half-time adjustments, and both teams shut out their #1 seed opponents in the conference championship games - on the road. Wow..

Speaking of postseason:

Mike Tomlin - 2

John Harbaugh - 0

sloppyjoe
01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Because he doesn't spit and scream! :rolleyes:

These people would have had a fucking conniption over Noll's sideline demeanor.

he doesnt get excited because hes not sure whats going on during the game

fansince'76
01-20-2013, 09:05 PM
he doesnt get excited because hes not sure whats going on during the game

Right. You go with that...

sloppyjoe
01-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Right. You go with that...

he proves it almost every week

fansince'76
01-20-2013, 09:26 PM
he proves it almost every week

Guess that explains why he still holds the head-to-head advantage over John Harbaugh since 2008, including a 2-0 edge in the postseason.

Never mind, let me guess - Cowher won those games. :yawn:

sloppyjoe
01-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Guess that explains why he still holds the head-to-head advantage over John Harbaugh since 2008, including a 2-0 edge in the postseason.

Never mind, let me guess - Cowher won those games. :yawn:

actually cowhers players won the superbowl. tomlin is responsible from there on out and you can see what direction that has been.
hows harbaughs playoff record the last few years?

harrison'samonster
01-20-2013, 09:39 PM
actually cowhers players won the superbowl. tomlin is responsible from there on out and you can see what direction that has been.
hows harbaughs playoff record the last few years?

so Cowhers players were responsible for winning the SB, but Tomlin is responsible for everything from there on out? That might be the dumbest thing i've read on here.

lipps83
01-20-2013, 09:45 PM
You know, I bleed black and gold too, but I would stop watching football if I ever lost my appreciation for excellence.

Yeah, I don't get it. Instead of appreciating the coaching prowess of the Harbaugh's, it seems most of our fans would rather attack their character since they know they cannot attack their coaching abilities.

It's about putting the best product possible on the field from the top down. Nothing more, nothing less.

Some Steelers fans would rather have an emotionless robot coach (I have no problem with Tomlin, but he isn't even close to the Harbaugh/Belicheck level). They don't want the players to show any emotion after a big play. They want all of the players to be clean-cut and raising orphans instead of having their own children.

They want to live in a world that doesn't exist and never will.

desertsteel
01-20-2013, 09:46 PM
so Cowhers players were responsible for winning the SB, but Tomlin is responsible for everything from there on out? That might be the dumbest thing i've read on here.

Well this is the internet... and sloppyjoe has a high speed connection...

Of course I just realized that sloppyjoe is a ravens fan. Sorry I didn't catch that. Congrats on getting to the super bowl SJ.

SteelersCanada
01-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Did you just put Harbaugh on the same level as Belichick? Yeah, they're the same, minus the decade of excellence and consistency. Oh, and if you take away all the hardware that Belichick has won.

John Harbaugh is a good coach, not a great one. He's not on the same level as McCarthy and Tomlin. We'll see how he does when Eddy and Ray leave this year. My guess? They'll be competing with the Browns for the basement of the AFC North.

lipps83
01-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Did you just put Harbaugh on the same level as Belichick? Yeah, they're the same, minus the decade of excellence and consistency. Oh, and if you take away all the hardware that Belichick has won.

No, I said Tomlin is not as good as the Harbaughs or Belicheck. Belicheck is clearly the best in the league, and maybe even since the inception of the league minus Paul Brown.

John Harbaugh is a good coach, not a great one. He's not on the same level as McCarthy and Tomlin. We'll see how he does when Eddy and Ray leave this year. My guess? They'll be competing with the Browns for the basement of the AFC North.

John has done more with less than Tomlin over the last two years, are you sure Tomlin is the better coach? Maybe that will change in the future and Tomlin gets the team turned in the right direction.

Time will tell.

Millers the sh!t
01-21-2013, 05:12 AM
"Harbur Berwl De Derp De Derp De tweedely poopity pohr"

Screw that shit - 1 Harbaugh is going to lose, thus - Tomlin is at least better than 1 of them. Also - will still have 1 more SB appearance

This will be the worst 2 weeks for a football fan unless youre a Ravens/49ers fan - Lots of videos of Ray Lewis looking for cameras so he can pray in front of them - what a fucking spectacle he makes of himself. Also - "The Harbaugh Parents must be so proud de derp."

I might actually only check the scores for this SB. The free beer and wings at the party will be the best part by far.

Desperate geek...... Found a fragment of pride to hold on to so run with it. It's obvious our team is on a downward spiral. Ravens are still consistently at the top of the afc. Jon will always keep them there as well. Jim's Niners are the best in the team. You think tomlins better than them, then we'd be playing yesterday... We weren't this year or the last. Open your eyes you geek. Your argument is pathetic. Belichek hasn't won a bowl for years and years but his team.unlike our is always in the hunt and in the finals. Consistency is what makes a good coach. Tomlin ain't consistent.

harrison'samonster
01-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Desperate geek...... Found a fragment of pride to hold on to so run with it. It's obvious our team is on a downward spiral. Ravens are still consistently at the top of the afc. Jon will always keep them there as well. Jim's Niners are the best in the team. You think tomlins better than them, then we'd be playing yesterday... We weren't this year or the last. Open your eyes you geek. Your argument is pathetic. Belichek hasn't won a bowl for years and years but his team.unlike our is always in the hunt and in the finals. Consistency is what makes a good coach. Tomlin ain't consistent.

consistency? Winning makes a good coach. As a head coach Tomlin has a winning record, plus a SB victory. Those don't come easily.

Plus you say if Tomlin was better than the Harbaughs then we'd have been playing yesterday. You ought to know that's not how it works. Nobody can win every game, and no team can be at the top every year.

Twentyvalve
01-21-2013, 08:30 AM
That is embarrassing. A grown man acting like that. I always get a kick out of the Harbaugh boys when they stomp their feet, thrown their headphones, etc. Remember John shoved his coach last year on live prime time TV? Remember he grabbed the ref a few years back? Of course nobody ever said anything about it because when a person behaves like that every day of their lives, it is expected so no big deal. Imagine if Tomlin acted like that? The Rooney's would fire him. For Baltimore, that is their standard. You could kill somebody and nothing would ....ummm...wait.....never mind.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when the Harbaugh boys were kids playing Monopoly. I can just imagine them rolling around on the ground gouging at each others eyes and spitting back and forth over accusing each other of cheating (which they were).

I don't want a temperamental toddler for a coach. I would take HAL 2000 before any Harbaugh.

. How can anybody ever want a coach who does this? I mean seriously?

steelerchad
01-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I don't get it. Instead of appreciating the coaching prowess of the Harbaugh's, it seems most of our fans would rather attack their character since they know they cannot attack their coaching abilities.

It's about putting the best product possible on the field from the top down. Nothing more, nothing less.

Some Steelers fans would rather have an emotionless robot coach (I have no problem with Tomlin, but he isn't even close to the Harbaugh/Belicheck level). They don't want the players to show any emotion after a big play. They want all of the players to be clean-cut and raising orphans instead of having their own children.

They want to live in a world that doesn't exist and never will.

Belichick is as emotionless as they get, so I think sytle or demeanor have little to do with quality coaching. Make no mistake about it, Belichick had a couple great calls early with forcing a timeout with Mallet in on the punt team. He was playing with Harbaugh there just to let him he could force him to blow that TO. Then the 4th and 1 direct snap was a thing of beauty. But make no mistake about it, the rest of the way Bill had no answers for the Ravens on either side of the ball. His conservativeness in of punting inside the 35 of the Ravens twice and mis managing the clock before the half contributed greatly to the loss for the Pats.

All coaches make mistakes, it's just sometimes they get covered up because a guy makes a play and sometimes they don't.

I think in game coaching had little to do with our losses this year. Preparation is a different story.

steelfury02
01-21-2013, 09:57 AM

:rofl:

I'd like to point out your bashing is pretty desperate . . . and entertaining.

Geek? You sound like a bad 1980s movie-bully - the one with the bleach blonde hair and the headband riding a dirt bike.

Thanks for the laughs - keep the intended "spears to my psyche" coming :chuckle:

teegre
01-21-2013, 10:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZVdR19E5mU

harrison'samonster
01-21-2013, 10:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZVdR19E5mU

:rofl: oh thank you for that!

harrison'samonster
01-21-2013, 10:23 AM
That is embarrassing. A grown man acting like that. I always get a kick out of the Harbaugh boys when they stomp their feet, thrown their headphones, etc. Remember John shoved his coach last year on live prime time TV? Remember he grabbed the ref a few years back? Of course nobody ever said anything about it because when a person behaves like that every day of their lives, it is expected so no big deal. Imagine if Tomlin acted like that? The Rooney's would fire him. For Baltimore, that is their standard. You could kill somebody and nothing would ....ummm...wait.....never mind.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when the Harbaugh boys were kids playing Monopoly. I can just imagine them rolling around on the ground gouging at each others eyes and spitting back and forth over accusing each other of cheating (which they were).

I don't want a temperamental toddler for a coach. I would take HAL 2000 before any Harbaugh.

very well said. I know that winning is important, but so is good sportsmanship. This is a very emotional game and it's acceptable to see a coach lose it every once and a while, but c'mon.. this kind of performance every time something goes wrong shows very poor character.

If I acted like this at work I'd be fired. It's one thing to be a motivator and to start getting in players faces, but do we have to see a grown man throw a little temper tantrum? No, thanks, I would definitely pass on a coach that acts like this.

steelfury02
01-21-2013, 10:28 AM
very well said. I know that winning is important, but so is good sportsmanship. This is a very emotional game and it's acceptable to see a coach lose it every once and a while, but c'mon.. this kind of performance every time something goes wrong shows very poor character.

If I acted like this at work I'd be fired. It's one thing to be a motivator and to start getting in players faces, but do we have to see a grown man throw a little temper tantrum? No, thanks, I would definitely pass on a coach that acts like this.

bingo dude - these guys are sharks - I wanted to punch Jim Harbaugh when I saw that little tantrum - anyone notice Alex Smith? I remember Harbaugh treating him the same way he treats Mr. Tats in last season's NFC champ game - very two faced coach

Millers the sh!t
01-21-2013, 11:16 AM
consistency? Winning makes a good coach. As a head coach Tomlin has a winning record, plus a SB victory. Those don't come easily.

Plus you say if Tomlin was better than the Harbaughs then we'd have been playing yesterday. You ought to know that's not how it works. Nobody can win every game, and no team can be at the top every year.

The Jon Harbaugh and belichik are consistently at the top and consistently in the race. Cmon Tomlin, you killed our running game, and its going on year number seven and.it hasn't improved at all. HOw ling does this fool need to improve a basic part of the offense. Fundementals and a runningbg game that's all this clown needs.to fix and can't do it......

FanSince72
01-21-2013, 11:20 AM

I agree.

In fact, this is one SB where I really can't decide who I like better because both teams deserve to win it for a variety of reasons.

It may not sit well with most Steeler fans but you have to respect the fact that Baltimore has a pretty damned good team and that Flacco has turned out to be a pretty damned good quarterback. As far as SF goes, I know most Steeler fans hate the idea that SF could tie us in SB wins, but again, you can't say that they don't deserve to win or that they're not a good team as well.

As for the Harbaugh connection, I think it's kind of neat that two brothers are competing against each other for a SB and I don't think that either one has been "blessed" with such talent that whatever John and Jim Harbaugh have individually brought to the table as coaches can be dismissed as irrelevant.

Like any other Steeler fan I'd love to have our team playing but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate another good team being there.

lipps83
01-21-2013, 12:53 PM
I agree.

In fact, this is one SB where I really can't decide who I like better because both teams deserve to win it for a variety of reasons.

It may not sit well with most Steeler fans but you have to respect the fact that Baltimore has a pretty damned good team and that Flacco has turned out to be a pretty damned good quarterback. As far as SF goes, I know most Steeler fans hate the idea that SF could tie us in SB wins, but again, you can't say that they don't deserve to win or that they're not a good team as well.

As for the Harbaugh connection, I think it's kind of neat that two brothers are competing against each other for a SB and I don't think that either one has been "blessed" with such talent that whatever John and Jim Harbaugh have individually brought to the table as coaches can be dismissed as irrelevant.

Like any other Steeler fan I'd love to have our team playing but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate another good team being there.

That's a good point. It seems that you are not allowed to be a football fan first. You must deny the success of every other individual or organization, and when you can't criticize their abilities you must then find faults in character.

Twentyvalve
01-21-2013, 02:05 PM
I respect the Ravens and the 49er's (I think the Niners earned more than the Ravens though, the Ravens had a very "randomly fortuitous" year). But the reality is the Harbaughs are meatheads. Total meatheads. And my opinion has nothing to do with me being a Steelers fan.

I agree.

sloppyjoe
01-21-2013, 10:36 PM
Well this is the internet... and sloppyjoe has a high speed connection...

Of course I just realized that sloppyjoe is a ravens fan. Sorry I didn't catch that. Congrats on getting to the super bowl SJ.

anybody with a little football sense should be able to see what diredtion this tesam has been headed the longer and more involved tomlin has become. he's barry switzer or jim caldwell, take your pick.

aa14
01-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Finally you guys realize the raw, untapped power of the Harbaugh. I am sure our respectIve communities will be willing to accept you into the fold if you truly have a desire to repent. Ravens will be dominating the division for the next four or five years at the least.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-22-2013, 01:53 AM
Ravens will be dominating the division for the next four or five years at the least.

:rofl:

Franchise408
01-26-2013, 02:37 PM

49ers fan here - and before I get started I'll just add the disclaimer that I'm not here to talk junk or anything like that. I actually have a lot of love for the Steelers - my dad is a life long Steelers fan so I grew up in a very Steelers friendly home, and I've cheered for you guys in every Super Bowl I've been alive to watch you guys play in. The Steelers are my AFC team, and basically my #2 team behind the 49ers.

But I had to address the bold here: What top-end QB's have we struggled against?

Since Harbaugh took over, we have beaten every "elite" QB we've faced:

Drew Brees (x2, including playoffs), Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers (x2, including playoffs), Matthew Stafford (x2), Matt Ryan (playoffs), Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning...

So I'm not sure who all these top end QB's that we've struggled against have been... Even when Eli beat us in the NFC Championship, that was more so the Giants defense, and our own special teams, than it was struggling against Eli. I think Alex Smith had better stats than Eli that game.

harrison'samonster
01-26-2013, 03:15 PM
49ers fan here - and before I get started I'll just add the disclaimer that I'm not here to talk junk or anything like that. I actually have a lot of love for the Steelers - my dad is a life long Steelers fan so I grew up in a very Steelers friendly home, and I've cheered for you guys in every Super Bowl I've been alive to watch you guys play in. The Steelers are my AFC team, and basically my #2 team behind the 49ers.

But I had to address the bold here: What top-end QB's have we struggled against?

Drew Brees (x2, including playoffs), Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers (x2, including playoffs), Matthew Stafford (x2), Matt Ryan (playoffs), Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning...

So I'm not sure who all these top end QB's that we've struggled against have been... Even when Eli beat us in the NFC Championship, that was more so the Giants defense, and our own special teams, than it was struggling against Eli. I think Alex Smith had better stats than Eli that game.

I think Harbaugh is a good coach, and I like what I see from Kapernick (just a little inexperienced). I just see some of Harbaugh's reactions and believe it is a question of character. No reason to give him any trouble in his career.

Thanks for the support (when we don't play each other of course).

steelfury02
01-27-2013, 09:05 AM
nice to see a 49ers fan on here - I think a lot of the people who get physically sick with our team and wish our coach to be someone he is not is a little bizarre - I think we have some groups mixed in there who take all these Rooney rule comments a little too personal and frankly, having a black coach seems to be a bit of a problem - otherwise I wouldn't see so many panties getting bunched up over what a billionaire says - seems to have touched a racial nerve where there didn't need to be one

I think some of them see Harbaugh's sideline emotions and see a young Bill Cowher and wish for it - I always found it entertaining but never directly correlated it to winning and caring about winning or losing, or having a clue about how to coach, as some seem to do

those same fans can't stand seeing Ray Lewis's camera loving antics so the jealously and wishing Tomlin would be more like the Harbaughs is really perplexing.

They are good solid coaches with a lot of years left - I won't crown either one as "the best" regardless of what happens next sunday but they are def up and coming, especially Jim IMO

I think John will be tested for the first time in his tenure starting next season. He hasn't had to deal with Joe and Ray Rice having to be "the" voices of the team and losing Lewis, and, it will be doubly hard if they win the SB - can you say not prepared to handle being the SB champs aka the target?

I for one think the Ravens are going to win because they have won and lost and been so close so many times now - after my projected win, I think they are going to take a while to get back to the form they've had over the past 2 seasons because the younger guys will have to handle more of the pressure. I want to see the Steelers motivated to humiliate the champs.

Lady Steel
01-27-2013, 05:35 PM

Best of luck to your team in the Super Bowl. I'm begging you, PLEASE beat the Ravens!!! :laughing: