PDA

View Full Version : Should the Steelers go after Alex Smith

BlaZeQuietly
01-15-2013, 10:54 PM
This is obviously hypothetical, but hes young (29) and and style of playing will keep him healthy for a long time, I would feel great if he were on our sidelines for if/when big ben goes down. i think Smith would be a great fit in Pittsburgh. I haven't heard that we're going after him or anything, but I doubt he want's to sit there and watch kaepernick win rings for the next 10 years.

PhantomJB93
01-15-2013, 11:04 PM
I doubt he wants to sit here and watch Ben win rings either. Somebody will give him a starting job this offseason, he's a better option than any FA QB or rookie in this year's draft. If I were a team like KC or Arizona that is arguably a decent QB away from competing, I'd be pushing hard for him. If Matt Flynn could get a huge contract after playing one game, imagine what Smith is going to get after being a completely reliable and consistent proven game manager for multiple seasons.

I mean, I'd be thrilled to have him as a backup, but he's better than half the starters in this league.

BlaZeQuietly
01-15-2013, 11:12 PM
Yeah I know it won't happen, It was mostly just an example , we really lack depth at quarterback. I just don't want us to end up having to start leftwich or batch EVER again. We seriously need to add 5 years to Ben's age, and consider him to be a 35 year old quarterback right now and get a successor in line or we are going to be in a real bad place, like Browns bad, like Rams bad. You get the point. Time to make a big move.

Fire Arians
01-15-2013, 11:17 PM
come on man

Hawaii 5-0
01-15-2013, 11:22 PM
I mean, I'd be thrilled to have him as a backup, but he's better than half the starters in this league.

I would say Alex Smith is better than about one quarter to one third of the current NFL starters, but definitely not half.

BlaZeQuietly
01-15-2013, 11:23 PM
come on man

What are you saying you feel comfortable with the quarter back situation right now. A starter who is gimped up half of every season and two back ups that just don't have what it takes, is that good enough?

Fire Arians
01-15-2013, 11:29 PM
What are you saying you feel comfortable with the quarter back situation right now. A starter who is gimped up half of every season and two back ups that just don't have what it takes, is that good enough?

what i'm saying is that:

1- alex smith will want to be a starter, he will not be one here in pittsburgh.
2- he will probably cost more money than your average backup, money we don't have cause we're in a cap hell situation
3- if we need a younger qb on the roster, why not give hoyer a shot to make it
4- a team desperate for a qb will give him more money than we're willing to part with (ie somebody like the jets), and this year's draft crop of QBs are not great

Fire Arians
01-15-2013, 11:34 PM
ah shit nevermind about hoyer, just read that arizona picked him up after we released him (go figure it would be them)

BlaZeQuietly
01-15-2013, 11:38 PM
Hoyer is no longer a steeler. You are right though about theres no way smith would end up in pittsburgh. The thread title is misleading, my main point is we need some that's going to be willing to be the back up in Pittsburgh, other teams don't seem to have a problem not having complete duds as #2 quarterbacks, look at the skins this year with cousins, and the texans last year with yates. It's like as soon as Ben wen't down everyone knew our season was in trouble but we were in denile until Leftwich broke his ribs by tripping over his own feet, thats NOT my idea of depth. Thats why Ben comes back before hes healthy and he Blew every chance we had to make the play offs (chargers, cowboys, bengles) all with a Ben that was not up to par, but still better than anything we had for a back up,.

SteelersCanada
01-15-2013, 11:43 PM
Alex Smith is going to start somewhere and wouldn't want to be a second string. He can back-up Kaepernick if that's the situation he wanted. Besides, he's already built a life in San Francisco and I doubt he'd be willing to leave behind his life in San Fran being a back-up to pack up his stuff and move to Pittsburgh - to be a back-up here.

Have to think logically man.

BlaZeQuietly
01-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Okay the title of my thread should have been "should the steelers go after someone LIKE alex smith" If you say no you are basically saying lefty and batch are good enough.

SteelersCanada
01-15-2013, 11:59 PM
If we don't think that getting a West Coast Quarterback that is notoriously bad at throwing the ball down field thus offensive coordinators have to adjust their gameplans to suit his ability, then we're saying that Batch and Leftwich are good enough? No, I just don't want someone like that noodle-armed QB that up until this year was widely considered a bust.

Why don't we just get someone like Hoyer once he's a FA this offseason?

austinfrench76
01-16-2013, 12:05 AM
I agree with Phantom. Would love it but he is going to get money and opps elsewhere.

Hawaii 5-0
01-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Why don't we just get someone like Hoyer once he's a FA this offseason?

we had Hoyer and cut him, that's how highly we thought of him.

BlaZeQuietly
01-16-2013, 12:11 AM
we had Hoyer and cut him, that's how highly we thought of him.

yeah I know right, I guess we would rather have people that trip over their own feet and break their ribs, or old washed up back ups than someone young with time to learn. I really haven't been impressed with the steelers off season moves the last 3 or 4 years nothing has panned out for us.

VaDave
01-16-2013, 05:30 AM
I doubt he wants to sit here and watch Ben win rings either. Somebody will give him a starting job this offseason, he's a better option than any FA QB or rookie in this year's draft. If I were a team like KC or Arizona that is arguably a decent QB away from competing, I'd be pushing hard for him. If Matt Flynn could get a huge contract after playing one game, imagine what Smith is going to get after being a completely reliable and consistent proven game manager for multiple seasons.

Next stop for Smith, if ever a team needed a QB, it's Arizona....

The_Joker
01-16-2013, 06:19 AM
To much money and I want a younger guy.

wwhickok
01-16-2013, 06:53 AM
Alex Smith would be an amazing backup for us. However I think he is going to end up in KC or Arizona.

steelfury02
01-16-2013, 07:29 AM
we need more Marty-ballers on our team

casteeler
01-16-2013, 07:32 AM
I've had the displeasure of watching Smith (living in Northern California) for quite a while and NO seems to immidiatly come to mind

steelfury02
01-16-2013, 08:28 AM
sounds like a perfect Cleveland Browns QB - a little older than a normal young guy, and probably will only be a round for a season or two:chuckle:

I think we need a good "Cathelic boy" instead :flap:

Terminator
01-16-2013, 08:41 AM
Where do some of you think Pittsburgh is going to get this money from to pay these free agents?

We are FUCKED 5 ways from sideways on the cap this year.

LayingTheWoodley56
01-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Yeah I know it won't happen, It was mostly just an example , we really lack depth at quarterback. I just don't want us to end up having to start leftwich or batch EVER again. We seriously need to add 5 years to Ben's age, and consider him to be a 35 year old quarterback right now and get a successor in line or we are going to be in a real bad place, like Browns bad, like Rams bad. You get the point. Time to make a big move.

I have to respectfully disagree with the assertion that Ben's physical age is 35. Yes, he takes a beating and his share of injuries (somewhat due to his style of play) but he has never had a season-ending injury, or even one that keeps him out 5, 6 games or more.

He only missed 1 game after his leg injury last year (albeit, he was hobbled for the rest of the year - but was still able to have us in a position to win in Denver) and just 3 games this year with what seemed to be a significant injury.

Ben has definitely missed his starts over the years, but prior to his injury this year he was playing like a quarterback squarely in his prime. The notion of Ben as close to being finished due to injury is overblown. He has 5 quality seasons left, at least. We need to start thinking replacement in 2015 or 2016 at the absolute earliest.

LayingTheWoodley56
01-16-2013, 09:49 AM
As for the Smith thing, yes, it would be delightful to have a starting-caliber quarterback as our backup. Not going to happen. Why not draft a young QB in the later rounds this season, not with the idea of him being a starter, but a servicable backup? I'm not a huge college football fan, so I myself don't have any suggestions, but there has to be someone out there.

TRH
01-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Why is this even being discussed??
Smith is a hefty-money starter and will be looking at places like Cleveland, Arizona, and a few others. We don't have 10-cents to rub together - let alone go out and get a $10 million dollar QB.

Blacksburg Zach
01-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Yeah, let's go out and sign all the best free agents with all that cap room we don't have.:doh:

FrancoLambert
01-16-2013, 04:07 PM
It won't be Alex Smith but Batch and Leftwich both have to go as a part of our "team makeover."
They're done physically.

TheVet
01-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Should the Steelers go after Alex Smith? My answer is yes.

Why? Because the more OK QBs we can run through the Steelers system, the lesser the chance that anybody will put O'Donnell in the top 3 all time, which is frankly embarrassing to the forum, the city, the Steelers nation, and even the country. Maybe even the human species or genus, whatever it is. Although O'Donnell might not even be in the top 25 at this point, it's gonna take a lot of mediocre QBs outperforming O'Donnel to make it click for some of these hominids.

teegre
01-16-2013, 05:43 PM

Why? Because the more OK QBs we can run through the Steelers system, the lesser the chance that anybody will put O'Donnell in the top 3 all time, which is frankly embarrassing to the forum, the city, the Steelers nation, and even the country. Maybe even the human species or genus, whatever it is. Although O'Donnell might not even be in the top 25 at this point, it's gonna take a lot of mediocre QBs outperforming O'Donnel to make it click for some of these hominids.

THAT's how you be great!!!

lloydwoodson
01-16-2013, 05:54 PM

Humans are hominids. "...Make it click for some of these (humans)" doesn't make sense.

":blah: O'Donnell was so terrible making the playoffs every year :blah:"

Steel Peon
01-16-2013, 06:20 PM
I also really like Alex Smith, and agree that he will want to (and should) be a starter......my early pick is him landing in Arizona.

Cajun steeler
02-09-2013, 07:33 PM
What! Salary cap problem ! Serious

MeanGee2047
02-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Nah....it would be nice but I'm sure he wants too start somewhere...