PDA

View Full Version : The prospect of just keeping mendenhall

BlaZeQuietly
01-16-2013, 01:35 AM
Say we don't end up going after a big running back in the draft. Say game one next season we have Mendenhall, Dwyer, Redman and Rainey.

Rainey- he is obviously too small to be a #1 running back, probably a better kick punt returner. So count him out besides of extremely rare circumstances.

Dwyer / Redman As much as they are different they are also very much the same. Neither have a lot of stamina but are capable of running straight forward and picking up a few yards from time to time, but they are NOT the answer either, and we all know this by now.

If it becomes clear that were keeping mendenhall at some point, it is going to be clear we plan on starting him, I know we had a couple of good seasons, the his running style got figured out and he never adjusted, he has a poor attitude but for some reason has the build of a man who should be able to plow over or maneuver around defenders. He just looks like such an atheletic guy with a attitude problem. I've been saying to junk him. But if we don't I think out best option is to change his running style, get him running more straight forward with a bigger burst of speed, hes fast, he doesnt need to dance around he can use time to get a yardage. My question is do you think its possible to get mendy back in to a#1 running back position if we keep him. He as all the tools and a bad attitude and we doesnt know how to use his tools. Someone really needs to get on his ass about this, I Know expectations were high. If Pitt does NOT pick up a RB in the first round they better be really changing the way mendenhall plays because right now it is some of the worst in foot ball. Just look at some of his vidoes he like hops around towards the sign line and looses yardage all the time, hardly ever runs the ball up the middle and when he does he gets smashed. For a guy in such great shape it seems we could make someting better out of that, it would sure make the draft a whole lot easier if we knew we had mendy back to his old self, which im not confident about,:banging:

Hawaii 5-0
01-16-2013, 01:39 AM
Say we don't end up going after a big running back in the draft. Say game one next season we have Mendenhall, Dwyer, Redman and Rainey.

Rainey- he is obviously too small to be a #1 running back, probably a better kick punt returner. So count him out besides of extremely rare circumstances.

we cut Chris Rainey, he is no longer a Pittsburgh Steeler.

BlaZeQuietly
01-16-2013, 03:12 AM
we cut Chris Rainey, he is no longer a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Good.

OX1947
01-16-2013, 03:31 AM
Mendenhall, while not being a bust, has been a huge disappointment. Running backs are a dime a dozen. Do some homework and get one in the 3rd, and hope he pans out as the starter.

VaDave
01-16-2013, 06:27 AM
Running backs are a dime a dozen only when your offensive line is solid, which was hardly the case the last two years. If they stay healthy, we should be able to run the ball with just about anybody back there.

steelfury02
01-16-2013, 08:31 AM
Running backs are a dime a dozen only when your offensive line is solid, which was hardly the case the last two years. If they stay healthy, we should be able to run the ball with just about anybody back there.

spot on - as indicated by Dwyer and Redman's performances before Ben and then the O-line got decimated again

Look at New England's stable - bunch of no names but they sure look productive behind that line

Fire Arians
01-16-2013, 11:35 AM
mendenhall is a better option than most rb's available in the draft. if we can keep him on the cheap then do it

steelfury02
01-16-2013, 11:51 AM
mendenhall is a better option than most rb's available in the draft. if we can keep him on the cheap then do it

I wouldn't mind seeing Mendy go, but - I'm just hoping he can advance past the amateur act and commit to be not just a Steeler RB, but an all-around solid football player. There are worse things than tweeting something dumb such as not showing up to a game - but, even that can be overlooked if he can truly get a fresh start - maybe just too much water under the bridge though - who knows - we won't be worse off either way

kent
01-16-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm not willing to spend any money on Mendy. He hasn't produced enough and he has the kind of attitude we don't need on this team. If you can't show up at a game to support your team then that's just sad. I do believe Dwyer or Redman could be successful as long as the o line is healthy. That being said, I would only resign one of them due to how similar their running styles are. Batch is a special teams captain I believe so keep him for those purposes. I don't think he offers much as a back. I would look at free agency to try and pick up a 3rd down back that could also be worked into the passing game. In the draft I'd take someone in the 2ND or 3rd to be the future feature back.

pete74
01-16-2013, 01:03 PM
I would definitely keep him for cheap. It dosnt matter what rb we have, they won't do well without a good offensive line. The reason green bay always passes is because there line sucks as well. If everyone stays healthy Ithink Mendy can have a 1500 yard season .
The line makes the back. Look how well Chris Johnson did when he had a good offensive line(2006 yards) then how bad he looked once they lost there key blockers

Fire Arians
01-16-2013, 01:13 PM
I would definitely keep him for cheap. It dosnt matter what rb we have, they won't do well without a good offensive line. The reason green bay always passes is because there line sucks as well. If everyone stays healthy Ithink Mendy can have a 1500 yard season .
The line makes the back. Look how well Chris Johnson did when he had a good offensive line(2006 yards) then how bad he looked once they lost there key blockers

not to mention he can be a dangerous receiver out of the backfield. his knee should be fully healed by next year.

steelfury02
01-16-2013, 01:26 PM
not to mention he can be a dangerous receiver out of the backfield. his knee should be fully healed by next year.

Health is key - also up for discussion - new and dynamic ways our OC can utilize the run game - its a copy cat league and I like the idea of combining some Texans-style off balance and RB as WR - Patriots style into our repetoire

Fire Arians
01-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Health is key - also up for discussion - new and dynamic ways our OC can utilize the run game - its a copy cat league and I like the idea of combining some Texans-style off balance and RB as WR - Patriots style into our repetoire

one thing that's always driven me mad about arians is him never using mendenhall in the passing game enough. in his 1st year as a starter, he had great success at it, then in the years after that, arians stops doing what was working. typical BA though.

with his skillset, he could be a bigger, faster version of brian westbrook (good receiving skills, good in the open field, excellent at blitz pickup, breakaway speed). he just needs an OC who will use him properly and he will be a star in this league

stb_steeler
01-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Wonder if Beanie Wells could be brought in if hes not lookin for a huge payday.

PhantomJB93
01-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Quote from Dejan Kovacevic on Twitter just now:

"Just met with #Steelers GM Kevin Colbert here on South Side. Most noteworthy, I thought: VERY dissatisfied with RBs. Expect change."

IDK, that sounds to me like RB is definitely a high priority in the draft, assuming we don't go FA. Definitely doesn't give me the vibe that Mendenhall is getting another shot.

steelfury02
01-16-2013, 01:55 PM
one thing that's always driven me mad about arians is him never using mendenhall in the passing game enough. in his 1st year as a starter, he had great success at it, then in the years after that, arians stops doing what was working. typical BA though.

with his skillset, he could be a bigger, faster version of brian westbrook (good receiving skills, good in the open field, excellent at blitz pickup, breakaway speed). he just needs an OC who will use him properly and he will be a star in this league

I couldn't agree more on his utilization - any OC that will severely limit his role to what it was limited to needs to be shown the door - you don't not use your Rd1 RB? - the jury could still be out - but, can you imagine if we saw this out of Mendenhall if given a fair shot at it? It would be like the Ravens not dumping it off to Ray Rice and asking him to come in on 3rd and shorts and run it up the middle to no success, without consistently practicing it, or giving him something more creative that fits his skill set

Steelers>NFL
01-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Wonder if Beanie Wells could be brought in if hes not lookin for a huge payday.

I'd rather have Steven Jackson from the Rams for the right price. He is a FA.

TRH
01-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Mendenhall's gone. No question.Especially after hearing Colbert talk today. Not much more to say than that.

Hawaii 5-0
01-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Settlement Reached in Lawsuit Filed by NFL Star Fired as Pitchman for 9/11 Conspiracy Tweets

1/15/2013 by Eriq Gardner

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/thumbnail_570x321/2011/09/120076124_a_l.jpg

The agreement comes after Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall's attorneys invoke Charlie Sheen to show Champion sportswear had acted arbitrarily in terminating his endorsement contract.

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall's $1 million lawsuit against clothing retailer Hanesbrands Inc. for canceling his lucrative endorsement deal has been cut short. On Tuesday, the parties filed a notice of voluntary dismissal after coming to a settlement.

Mendenhall brought the lawsuit in July 2011, and the resulting case had it all: Osama bin Laden, Charlie Sheen, free speech, morals clauses of celebrity contracts and more.

The NFL star's contract to endorse Champion sporting gear was terminated after the outspoken player tweeted about the 9/1 terrorist attacks, "We'll never know what really happened" and tweeted after bin Laden's death: "What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side."

Mendenhall presented his case as defending the First Amendment right for celebrities to say controversial things. Hanesbrands countered by saying the dispute was really about whether a trademark owner that had built a famous brand was required to continue to pay a celebrity endorser whose opinions threatened to bring the company into public disrepute.

In April, a federal judge in North Carolina was tasked with deciding whether the case should be dismissed or allowed to be heard by a jury.

Judge James Beaty said that it should survive, denying a motion to dismiss.

Morals clauses tend to get lots of ink because celebrities often do stupid things. But disputes over contractual legalese like morals clauses rarely make it into a public courtroom, even if these morals clauses are written so broadly as to make their enforceability a bit of mystery.

In this case, Beaty ruled that Hanesbrands had an implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing "not to act arbitrarily, irrationally or unreasonably in exercising [its] discretion" to execute its termination rights under the morals clause of the contract with Mendenhall.

Did Hanesbrands act arbitrarily?

As the case proceeded into the discovery stage on the path to trial, Mendenhall's attorneys began building what will henceforth be known here as the "Charlie Sheen defense": pointing to another celebrity who has said outrageous things and putting the onus on the other party to explain why one endorsement deal was terminated and another wasn't.

Mendenhall quoted Sheen saying in an old radio interview: "It seems to me like 19 amateurs with box cutters taking over four commercial airliners and hitting 75 percent of their targets feels like a conspiracy theory. It raises a lot of questions."

Mendenhall's lawyers argued that Hanesbrands "hired Mr. Sheen as an endorser after he had gone public to challenge the United States government's explanation for the attacks of Sept. 11" and questioned why their client who had tweeted his own 9/11 conspiracy thoughts had been treated differently.

Soon thereafter, the parties reached a settlement, precluding what surely would have been a tweet-friendly trial. Terms of the settlement have not been revealed.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/settlement-reached-lawsuit-filed-by-412750

MeanGee2047
01-16-2013, 02:50 PM
I would like to get an offensive lineman in the 1st to shore up the line, RB in 2nd....preferably Lacy....but I think he'll be gone...if that's the case....then an OLB....

kent
01-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Quote from Dejan Kovacevic on Twitter just now:

"Just met with #Steelers GM Kevin Colbert here on South Side. Most noteworthy, I thought: VERY dissatisfied with RBs. Expect change."

IDK, that sounds to me like RB is definitely a high priority in the draft, assuming we don't go FA. Definitely doesn't give me the vibe that Mendenhall is getting another shot.

Good!

pczach
01-16-2013, 03:13 PM
I agree that his skills have not been utilized or maximized. However, I think his own mental state has been the biggest roadblock in his growth as a player. It's very possible that the coaching staff didn't feel that they could trust him to be such a large part of the offense because they just couldn't trust him to do what was necessary. Between the injuries and the odd behavior, he never felt like an integral part of the offense.

steelfury02
01-16-2013, 03:26 PM
I agree that his skills have not been utilized or maximized. However, I think his own mental state has been the biggest roadblock in his growth as a player. It's very possible that the coaching staff didn't feel that they could trust him to be such a large part of the offense because they just couldn't trust him to do what was necessary. Between the injuries and the odd behavior, he never felt like an integral part of the offense.

good points

wwhickok
01-16-2013, 04:13 PM
The idea of keeping ONLY Mendenhall makes me vomit a little.

FrancoLambert
01-16-2013, 05:15 PM
I'd keep Mendenhall at the right price and not a dollar more.
I'd keep Dwyer, I still think he can improve.
I'd let Redman walk, Dwyer can fill his role as a power back. He's too one dimensional.
Of course, none of the above matters if the O-line doesn't improve.

OX1947
01-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Nothing wrong with keeping Dwyer and Redman as backs 2 and 3. I think those roles are perfect and wont cost much. If Lacy is available in the second round, theres the number 1. But you cannot use a number 1 for a RB. It is a waste of a pick. All the great runners in the NFL right now besides AP, are late picks or even lower..

OX1947
01-16-2013, 05:43 PM
The Mendenhall and Wallace in Steeler black and gold next year ship has sailed folks. After Colbert's interview, there isnt a chance they are back. Mendenhall's mental decisions is a major issue beyond his political views. And Wallace's drops werent the issue last year, it was his half ass play and cancerous attitude that infected everyone on that team on offense.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-16-2013, 05:44 PM
I'd keep Mendenhall and Redman. Give Dwyer and Batch their walking papers.

Dwyer has some potential and might be able to find work as a backup RB on some team needing a powerback. Batch, despite the feel-good story-- hasn't done shit. Dwyer and Redman are very similar, but Redman is better in the open field (isn't he our only guy to have a 100-yard game receiving this year?)

Mendenhall, despite his douchebag 911 truther comments, is the only RB we've had on our roster since Parker than has consistently delivered seasons of greater than 4 ypc and behind shoddy Olines in Arians' pass-happy scheme. If we can keep him on the cheap-- why waste more draft picks reaching for a #1 RB? Yes Dwyer and Redman both had a couple of isolated 100-yarders carrying the rock, but nothing consistent, and they fact they cannot stay healthy enough to handle 300+ carries per year means they are not viable franchise RB material.

pczach
01-16-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm all for keeping Mendenhall if they can keep him for a relatively low salary. I also have no trouble with the team letting him go if the Steelers don't think he is worth having on the team for character reasons. We'll know based on the offer they make him or don't make him.

pczach
01-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Nothing wrong with keeping Dwyer and Redman as backs 2 and 3. I think those roles are perfect and wont cost much. If Lacy is available in the second round, theres the number 1. But you cannot use a number 1 for a RB. It is a waste of a pick. All the great runners in the NFL right now besides AP, are late picks or even lower..

I agree. I really like Lacey, but he's not worth a first round pick. You've gotta be a once in a decade or two back to justify a first round pick with all the talent available late in the draft.

StainlessStill
01-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Beanie Wells and a guy like De'Angello Williams from Carolina stick out to me for potential backs to go after in FA. I hope we do it, too big of a hole to fill. Instant band-aid at RB needed.

TheVet
01-16-2013, 06:43 PM
We have Dwyer and Redman, both of who have performed better than Mendy whenever they've had the opportunity. For our 3rd back, we need a player with desire, a solid work ethic, a good attitude, some respect for the team, and some respect for himself.

Of course, it should go without saying that we'd like a decisive back who hits the holes hard, fights for extra yards, and hangs onto the ball.

Why is Mendenhall even in the conversation at this point? Yeah, it was a blown #1 pick, which always hurts, but at some point it's time to move on.

mikegrimey
01-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Does anyone think we have a legit full time back in our stable right now?
The coaching staff seemed to favor Dwyer last year, but I honestly didn't see much from him.

Redman may be the best workhorse option we have, but he's never really been through a 300 carry season before so even that's unknown. Our RV situation is pretty weak right now, that's for sure

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-16-2013, 07:27 PM
We have Dwyer and Redman, both of who have performed better than Mendy whenever they've had the opportunity.

Really? They had one or two better games this year, but it was understood that Mendy returned in 12 months from an injury that calls for an 18 month recovery.

Either way, it seems we are willing to give Ben a pass for being hurt, but not Mendenhall.

Over the course of their careers:

*Mendenhall
864 carries, 3549 yards (avg 4.1 ypc), avg 62.3 yards per game

*Dwyer
181 carries, 774 yards (avg 4.3 ypc), avg 36.9 yards per game

*Redman
272 carries, 1136 yards (avg 4.2 ypc), avg 24.2 yards per game

How have Redman and Dwyuer performed better than Mendenhall? They had slightly better yards per carry, but they played in limited roles. The average yards per game tells all. A franchise RB needs to be counted on to provide more than 35 yards per game.

They have yet to manage a 1000-yard season, which Mendy has done for us in a pass-happy scheme with no Oline to speak of, SEVERAL TIMES.

Also, would be nice if they displayed the ability to carry the rock for 300+ times per season. Neither Dwyer nor Redman manged to string together more than 2 games at a time this year.

For our 3rd back, we need a player with desire, a solid work ethic, a good attitude, some respect for the team, and some respect for himself.

THIS would be a great role for Redman. Dwyer can be the backup/powerback in someone else's offense.

Why is Mendenhall even in the conversation at this point? Yeah, it was a blown #1 pick, which always hurts, but at some point it's time to move on.

Becauise he is the only one who has shown the franchise RB pedigree we need.

How was he a blown #1 pick? Multiple 1000-yard seasons in bonehead Arians' scheme behind patchwork offensive lines? How did Redman and Dwyer do behind a much improved Oline this year, in comparison to Mendenhall? Have either of these other two bozos shown they can stay healthy for an entire season while getting only a portion of the carries? Do either Redman or Dwyer have any open-field ability (well, Redman does), or ability to cut a long one around the edges?

I really don't know what some of you are looking at.

defence
01-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Really? They had one or two better games this year, but it was understood that Mendy returned in 12 months from an injury that calls for an 18 month recovery.

Either way, it seems we are willing to give Ben a pass for being hurt, but not Mendenhall.

Over the course of their careers:

*Mendenhall
864 carries, 3549 yards (avg 4.1 ypc), avg 62.3 yards per game

*Dwyer
181 carries, 774 yards (avg 4.3 ypc), avg 36.9 yards per game

*Redman
272 carries, 1136 yards (avg 4.2 ypc), avg 24.2 yards per game

How have Redman and Dwyuer performed better than Mendenhall? They had slightly better yards per carry, but they played in limited roles. The average yards per game tells all. A franchise RB needs to be counted on to provide more than 35 yards per game.

They have yet to manage a 1000-yard season, which Mendy has done for us in a pass-happy scheme with no Oline to speak of, SEVERAL TIMES.

Also, would be nice if they displayed the ability to carry the rock for 300+ times per season. Neither Dwyer nor Redman manged to string together more than 2 games at a time this year.

THIS would be a great role for Redman. Dwyer can be the backup/powerback in someone else's offense.

Becauise he is the only one who has shown the franchise RB pedigree we need.

How was he a blown #1 pick? Multiple 1000-yard seasons in bonehead Arians' scheme behind patchwork offensive lines? How did Redman and Dwyer do behind a much improved Oline this year, in comparison to Mendenhall? Have either of these other two bozos shown they can stay healthy for an entire season while getting only a portion of the carries? Do either Redman or Dwyer have any open-field ability (well, Redman does), or ability to cut a long one around the edges?

I really don't know what some of you are looking at.

Totally agree. I have no idea what you guys are seeing or watching. Redman and dwyer would be 2nd or 3rd stringers on any other team but here in Pitttsburgh u guys see these guys as the next Franco!! Please!! When comparing the 3; there is no comparison. If we can bring Mendy back at a good price and Tomlin stops his pissing war with him; they can fill other needs on the roster as there are MANY!!

JackH
01-16-2013, 08:32 PM
So what kind of contract would you guys offer Mendenhall? I'd be real surprised if any team offers him a big multi-year contract with guaranteed money. I'm just guessing here, but I think he prefers to get a fresh start some place else. What I would offer the guy is somewhere around $2M for a 1-year contract. Somebody is going to have to persuade me he deserves more than that.

Redman and Dwyer are Restricted Free Agents. My guess is that they both will be tendered at $1.33M and that's what will we pay them for a 1-year contract unless some other team offers them more and the Steelers don't match it. Batch has several more years to go on a rookie contract.

So, it looks to me that we likely will have Redman, Dwyer, and Batch next season unless they are cut. Who knows about Mendy.

I don't see any free agents out there who are all that much better than what we already have.

Now, as far as the draft goes, you got a bunch of 3rd rounders who mostly look like each other. Eddie Lacy, how much of what you saw was him and how much was that Alabama line? Now if you believe teegre, the Steelers should take Marcus Lattimore. I like that idea, especially if he's still there in the 4th round. Maybe the third.

lloydwoodson
01-17-2013, 01:05 AM
Mendenhall is a known commodity. He will rush for 1000 yards if he is healthy. He is capable to carry the load on offense. He is a complete back that can be used in any situation. When Mendenhall is at his best he is a top 10 NFL running back and that is more than enough for an offense that centers around the pass.

PhantomJB93
01-17-2013, 01:13 AM
I'm in favor of a FA back if and only if we draft Marcus Lattimore in a later round, with the intention of starting him later in the 2013 season or beyond and using said FA as a stopgap. Otherwise draft a RB early.

teegre
01-17-2013, 01:21 AM
I'm in favor of a FA back if and only if we draft Marcus Lattimore in a later round, with the intention of starting him later in the 2013 season or beyond and using said FA as a stopgap. Otherwise draft a RB early.

I like the idea of drafting Lattimore... and then sitting him.

With the new "IR" designee, Lattimore can rehab until mid-October... which would be nearly a year.

PhantomJB93
01-17-2013, 01:27 AM
I like the idea of drafting Lattimore... and then sitting him.

With the new "IR" designee, Lattimore can rehab until mid-October... which would be nearly a year.

Lattimore obviously has WAY higher upside than ANY other back in this draft, the only problem is he may not be ready at all this upcoming season and I doubt we'd draft two RBs in this defensive-packed draft...hence the potential need for a DeAngelo Williams or Steven Jackson for next season.

teegre
01-17-2013, 01:31 AM
Lattimore obviously has WAY higher upside than ANY other back in this draft, the only problem is he may not be ready at all this upcoming season and I doubt we'd draft two RBs in this defensive-packed draft...hence the potential need for a DeAngelo Williams or Steven Jackson for next season.

True... but... AP came back in 7 months.

Of course, Lattimore's knee was more severe.

Then again, it was more severe, because it was more than one ligament, but all of the ligaments should heal at the same rate (I think). Ergo, maybe he is indeed ready by October.

Anyway, I understand your point: if they do draft Lattimore, then "someone" needs to be brought in to start for the first half of the season (or possibly the entire season).

BlaZeQuietly
01-17-2013, 03:24 AM
I would be very happy to hear of us using FA to sign a big name back, its just what we need

Justp94
01-18-2013, 01:20 AM
The Steelers could really use a surprise running back like Alfred Morris to appear in the 6th round, but that just doesn't happen often.