PDA

View Full Version : sportscenter breaking news

tony hipchest
08-16-2006, 05:59 PM
injury to a high profile qb. "how serious is it"? as they show highlight clips of big ben going into commercial.

he jams his thumb (on a shoulderpad) is the latter report. :dang: why do they do that??????

maybe this can be stickied as the official bens injured thumb thread! :sofunny: as they broke they said it didnt appear to be serious but wont really know tomorrow. the big news was he left practice.

Hawk Believer
08-16-2006, 06:08 PM
I think Ben should do a public service annoucment about the dangers of jamming your thumb on shoulder pads.

AZ_Steeler
08-16-2006, 06:08 PM
After the injuries he sustained in the motorcycle accident I don't think the thumb is really a big deal :wink:

Come to think of it... he always seems to be hurting his thumb. Are his thumbs freakishly large or something???

ExtonSteelFan
08-16-2006, 06:12 PM
I remember when playing in High school I would always jam one of my fingers. It probably happened to me about 3 times during each season and it hurt like a bitch every time.

tony hipchest
08-16-2006, 06:14 PM
After the injuries he sustained in the motorcycle accident I don't think the thumb is really a big deal :wink:

Come to think of it... he always seems to be hurting his thumb. Are his thumbs freakishly large or something???
i dont know, but they hyped it like it was huge news before they broke for commercial.

its like when your local news station announces " tips that can save your life in the next 10 minutes...tune in tonight at 12:00.":dang:

83-Steelers-43
08-16-2006, 06:16 PM
LOL, the media is rolling with it and ready to blow it up beyond all imagination.

I'm watching Sports Beat with Stan Savern tonight and they stated the injury is minor. Nothing to worry about.

On that note........Hey!!! a guy who almost had his career end last week is coming around fine. Who cares though? It's not Ben (as the air comes out of my head).

ItaliaFem
08-16-2006, 06:24 PM
He played second half of last season with a broken finger.

He and Cowher with those ****ing chins do better against all odds. The more shit they throw at these guys the more they shove it down their throats.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-16-2006, 06:28 PM
OMG,not a jamed thumb!

TasmanianTroy271
08-16-2006, 06:31 PM
lol we aren't even worried anymore. After the knee, and the motorcycle accident, a stubbed thumb just makes us chuckle.

dSharp
08-16-2006, 07:31 PM
no no this is good news. we went win streak and won the superbowl when ben played with his sore thumb. He's just giving it a good jam today so that it's just the right amount of sore on opening night. Keep the streak alive! :)

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Smashed face of windshiled of car....7hrs of emergency reconstruction surgery....and they are going to call a jammed thumb big news???
Big ben is a beast....Nothing can stop him

Man_Of_Steel
08-16-2006, 10:45 PM
This is going to sound stupid, bit I think Ben and other players do this to get out of signing autographs after practice. I remember Ben having the same hand wrapped last week and he turned out okay and played in the AZ game. This is my theory anyways.

msafford
08-16-2006, 11:20 PM
I think Ben should do a public service annoucment about the dangers of jamming your thumb on shoulder pads.

LOL Hawk. i seem to sense a bit of sarcasm. :smile:

83-Steelers-43
08-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Big Ben's thumb injury may keep him out Saturday
Thursday, August 17, 2006

By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger is questionable for Saturday's preseason game against the Vikings, coach Bill Cowher said this morning at the Steelers training camp in Latrobe.

The Steelers quarterback has slightly sprained ligaments in the thumb of his right (throwing) hand, Cowher said. The injury occurred during yesterday afternoon's practice when Roethlisberger hit another player while following through on a throw.

"He feels better today than he did yesterday," Cowher said. "We'll see how he feels tomorrow. There is no indication we need to do any kind of tests on him at this point."

Roethlisberger was to sit out of practice today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06229/714259-100.stm

Man_Of_Steel
08-17-2006, 10:50 AM
This is going to sound stupid, bit I think Ben and other players do this to get out of signing autographs after practice. I remember Ben having the same hand wrapped last week and he turned out okay and played in the AZ game. This is my theory anyways.

Ahhhhh, just as I thought. He will probably play on Saturday. I think Ben does this stuff to A) Stir up controversy because he knows any little thing that happens to him gets blown out of proportion.
B) So he doesn't have to sign autographs/deal with fans after practices.

83-Steelers-43
08-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Ahhhhh, just as I thought. He will probably play on Saturday. I think Ben does this stuff to A) Stir up controversy because he knows any little thing that happens to him gets blown out of proportion.
B) So he doesn't have to sign autographs/deal with fans after practices.

While I agree Ben crave's attention more than any other Steeler on this roster, I don't believe that's the case with his thumb.

"The Steelers quarterback has slightly sprained ligaments in the thumb of his right (throwing) hand, Cowher said. The injury occurred during yesterday afternoon's practice when Roethlisberger hit another player while following through on a throw."

As minor as this injury appears to be, I don't believe he is faking it for a want of attention or to get out of signing autographs.

SteelerFanInCA
08-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Didn't Ben hurt is thumb earlier in camp as well?

Man_Of_Steel
08-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Didn't Ben hurt is thumb earlier in camp as well?

Yes, he had his hand wrapped up one other time too, again as a ploy to get out of signing autographs. Also, this could be a ploy to have a reason to wear the glove this year because he likes to throw with one on.

83-Steelers-43
08-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Yes, he had his hand wrapped up one other time too, again as a ploy to get out of signing autographs. Also, this could be a ploy to have a reason to wear the glove this year because he likes to throw with one on.

He was begging Cowher to play him in the Arizona game and you actually believe that he's faking his thumb injury in order to not sign autographs while also taking the chance of having Cowher tell him that he's not going to play in Saturday's game? I really don't see the logic there.

GoFor6
08-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Ben said he left his thumb helmet in the basement at home but that he normally wears it.

St. Vincent security chief said that since Ben has 2 years in NFL that the thumb helmet is optional and no charges are being filed.

memphissteelergirl
08-17-2006, 12:33 PM

Well, you know what they said about men with big thumbs....:lust:

clevestinks
08-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Wow couldnt wait for the season to start?? Wjy just to get sick to my stomach all over again?? I was watching the tube last night, and got all nervous about Bens thumb! Hell I don`t worry about my own thumbs that much.

BlackNGold203
08-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Holy Crap!!!!

A Cleve sighting!!!!!

:cool: :cool:

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Ben said he left his thumb helmet in the basement at home but that he normally wears it.

St. Vincent security chief said that since Ben has 2 years in NFL that the thumb helmet is optional and no charges are being filed.

:rofl: hilarious! "a thumb helmet" :sofunny:

Hawk Believer
08-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Big cellphones?

Hawk Believer
08-17-2006, 03:26 PM
LOL Hawk. i seem to sense a bit of sarcasm. :smile:

:scratchchin: Me?

Truth be told I think it would be a good thing for Ben to do a helmet PSA. But I think that is up to him to decide. I am not comfortable with the media determining what penance people should do.

83-Steelers-43
08-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Breaking News: Pittsburgh AP - It's official, Ben Roethlisberger had surgery today and came out of the emergency room with a completely new throwing hand (pictured below). It consists of a radar and honing device which focuses on the complete WR and HB core of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

http://www.vieartificielle.com/images_nouvelle/5mainbotvente.jpg Now this story can officially be put to rest.

memphissteelergirl
08-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Big cellphones?

Oh, ha ha...:rolleyes:

Man_Of_Steel
08-20-2006, 07:01 PM
He was begging Cowher to play him in the Arizona game and you actually believe that he's faking his thumb injury in order to not sign autographs while also taking the chance of having Cowher tell him that he's not going to play in Saturday's game? I really don't see the logic there.

Seem logical now? Nothing wrong with his thumb in that Vikings game was there?

siss
08-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Breaking News: Pittsburgh AP - It's official, Ben Roethlisberger had surgery today and came out of the emergency room with a completely new throwing hand (pictured below). It consists of a radar and honing device which focuses on the complete WR and HB core of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

http://www.vieartificielle.com/images_nouvelle/5mainbotvente.jpg Now this story can officially be put to rest.
Well its about damn time he got that arm fixed! Geez Ben took you long enough...Now go win us some more super Bowls!

Midnightwriter07
08-21-2006, 12:34 AM

<--- checking out my hands and looking at my BIG thumbs. ahahaaaah

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-21-2006, 12:52 AM
[QUOTE=83-Steelers-43]Breaking News: Pittsburgh AP - It's official, Ben Roethlisberger had surgery today and came out of the emergency room with a completely new throwing hand (pictured below). It consists of a radar and honing device which focuses on the complete WR and HB core of the Pittsburgh Steelers. [quote]

Did he get the extended warranty on the thumb??

83-Steelers-43
08-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Seem logical now? Nothing wrong with his thumb in that Vikings game was there?

During the post-game interview, he said it was sore before the game and I have no reason to not believe him. I tend/try to stay away from making assumptions. It's the media and certain "fans" who blew this situation up to begin with and started with the amusing and comical conspiracy theories.

His thumb was/still is sore, he sat out for one day of practice and that was the day the world ended. When I read that Ben left practice early last week, the first thing that passed through my mind was "The suicide rate in Steeler Nation is going to jump and the conspiracy theorists are going to come out in force". I wasn't that far off on that prediction.

BlackNGold203
08-21-2006, 08:34 AM
During the post-game interview, he said it was sore before the game and I have no reason to not believe him. I tend/try to stay away from making assumptions. It's the media and certain "fans" who blew this situation up to begin with and started with the amusing and comical conspiracy theories.

His thumb was/still is sore, he sat out for one day of practice and that was the day the world ended. When I read that Ben left practice early last week, the first thing that passed through my mind was "The suicide rate in Steeler Nation is going to jump and the conspiracy theorists are going to come out in force". I wasn't that far off on that prediction.

83...should I back off of this ledge now???

:sofunny: :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
08-21-2006, 08:37 AM
83...should I back off of this ledge now???

:sofunny: :sofunny:

Please do. And no BNG203, aliens did not inject a bacterial substance inside Ben's thumb in order to have him stop signing autographs. :smile:

BlackNGold203
08-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Please do. And no BNG203, aliens did not inject a bacterial substance inside Ben's thumb in order to have him stop signing autographs. :smile:

Of course they didnt....everyone knows it was the taliban!!!

:dang: :dang:

HometownGal
08-21-2006, 08:54 AM

I heard it was their index finger - LOL! From my experiences years ago in nursing, I can tell you that's a fable. :cool: The old saying ...not the size of the ship....still stands. :smile:

You are absolutely correct, 83 - the media and some of the fans blow everything out of proportion. The rumor gets started by an overzealous reporter anxious to be the first to report "the story' and it spirals out of control and into an overexaggeration. I've learned over the years not to take anything at face value unless I hear it directly from the player's or coach's oral cavities.

Livinginthe past
08-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Hmmmm, well to put a little credence in NICK66's seemingly unlikely scenario - but Ben has flat out lied about his injury status in the past - only to be called out by his own coach.

Rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was exaggerating when he said he broke two toes on his right foot during the AFC championship game, Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher said.

Roethlisberger told reporters Jan. 25 he wore down physically during the lengthy NFL season and broke two toes while scrambling late in the first half of the 41-27 loss to the New England Patriots.

Cowher seemed irritated Roethlisberger would go public with such a claim, that, in effect, suggested the Steelers gambled with the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year's health by playing him when he was hurt.

"We are unaware of any problems with his toes, OK?" Cowher said.

Roethlisberger didn't specify which toes were broken and wasn't walking with an apparent limp Jan. 24 or Jan. 25.

"Ben does not have broken toes," Cowher said, talking publicly for the first time since the postgame press conference following the Steelers' fourth loss in an AFC title game in 11 seasons. "At the end of the first half, while scrambling, he aggravated some toes he has broken in the past, in high school and college. He mentioned something to Ryan Grove, our assistant trainer, and said he may have broke his toe. When he came off, he said he was fine, and he went back out in the second half and didn't say anything to anybody else for the rest of the game."

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/8135307

NM

83-Steelers-43
08-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Hmmmm, well to put a little credence in NICK66's seemingly unlikely scenario - but Ben has flat out lied about his injury status in the past - only to be called out by his own coach.

NM

Very good point. I've already stated that I feel Ben craves more attention than any other player on this roster (wether when dealing with injuries or to simply get his mug on TV). In my opinion, homerism aside, he made a complete ass out of himself with the whole "toe injury situation". Not the most popular opinion among fellow Steeler fans, but oh well.

But in this case Cowher never denied Ben's injured/sore thumb. Apples and oranges if you ask me.

BlackNGold203
08-21-2006, 01:19 PM

NM

That was the Taliban too!!!!!

:cool: :cool: