PDA

View Full Version : Colbert, Steelers FO Allude to Changes on the Way

SteelersCanada
01-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette

Looks like all #Steelers UFAs will get to test water. Colbert: "we won't know what individual player will cost until he gets out there.''

Colbert alluded to this several times: "If we don't change a roster that produced 8-8, we'd be silly to expect a better result.''

#Steelers Colbert also praises Omar Khan, one of the finalists for Jets GM Job: "He's earned it. We think he's ready.''

More on the backs from Colbert: "That group of players didn't produce the way we anticipated they would.''

Colbert on the #Steelers RB situation: "Where we were in running game last year was indicative in the talent at the position.''

Colbert says #Steelers must get under cap first: "It will include terminations, possible extensions and reconstructions.''

#Steelers will not reconsider decision to cut Chris Rainey: "The decision has been made,'' Colbert said.

As with re-signing their own UFAs (i.e. Wallace, Keenan Lewis, Mendenhall, Starks, etc.): "We're not married to anybody.''

Colbert's message: That reluctance to change won't occurr this year after 8-8

Colbert: When you're 12-4 & a playoff team, sometimes you get mesmerized by your success and you get a little reluctatant to change.

Colbert: "Very doubtful" they will put franchise tag on anyone because "I don't think we have too many franchise players.''

All information acquired from @EdBouchette on Twitter.

So, I don't know the best way to arrange that information so I did my best to make it as easy as possible to read and understand. Sorry if it's hard to read, I'll try and arrange it into a read-able paragraph at some point.

Darkstorm05
01-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Sounds about as expected. Wallace will get to find out he couldn't find a better offer than he got last year, and will suck it up and take it. They'll let Mendy find out his value, then make a modest effort to match it. My biggest concern here is in Lewis.

6RingsAndCounting
01-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Colbert doesn't sound happy, kind of nice to not hear cliche's over and over

TRH
01-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Very strong words.
I was amazed by alot of the talk around here of people saying "gotta keep Wallace, gotta keep Lewis, gotta keep Troy, gotta keep Harrison, etc, etc, etc....". I fully expected a couple WHOPPING big changes to take place, some that will rock the Pittsburgh world.

Doesn't appear the team is even the least bit interested at all (no surprise to many including me) in Wallace, Mendenhall, and some others.
I also look for either Troy or Harrison to go - and for Colon to be let go as well. I don't disagree with him at all - this team needs a major facelift and alot of new faces.

Hawaii 5-0
01-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette

Colbert on the #Steelers RB situation: "Where we were in running game last year was indicative in the talent at the position.''

Ouch, sounds like we will definitely be drafting a RB early...

GoFor7
01-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Ouch, sounds like we will definitely be drafting a RB early...

There probably aren't any RBs worthy of anything higher than a 3rd round pick.

sloppyjoe
01-16-2013, 02:01 PM
what? i thought we are supposed to be all set and all we needed was to get lucky and a little healthy

colbert is not a real fan and needs to go GM for the browns

pczach
01-16-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm happy someone in the organization speaks this way. It's about time the players understand that it is not a given that they are wanted regardless of performance. That no one is untouchable or above criticism. They need a swift kick in the ass.

teegre
01-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Very strong words.
I was amazed by alot of the talk around here of people saying "gotta keep Wallace, gotta keep Lewis, gotta keep Troy, gotta keep Harrison, etc, etc, etc....". I fully expected a couple WHOPPING big changes to take place, some that will rock the Pittsburgh world.

Doesn't appear the team is even the least bit interested at all (no surprise to many including me) in Wallace, Mendenhall, and some others.
I also look for either Troy or Harrison to go - and for Colon to be let go as well. I don't disagree with him at all - this team needs a major facelift and alot of new faces.

Here is what I deduced:

RB's were weak. + We aren't married to any FA = Spinny is GONE.

I could see Harriosn, Keisel, and even Troy needing to restructure.

They ahve always stated that they want Walalce, and BB has declared resigning Wallac eas his #1 priority. I think Wallace accepts a reasonable offer, and that BB gives up $2-3 million ot make it happen (5 years $50 million).

They have also stated that Keena Lewis is their primary free agent to re-sign, and I believe that to be the case.

The Colon is as good as cut. Starks will not be back (like it or not). And, likely, neither will Foster.

teegre
01-16-2013, 02:08 PM

I agree: no RB that early. I'd like to see the RBs run behind a healhty O-line.

Plus, there are a bunch of "good" RBs in this draft,a nd the difference between a R2 RB and a R4 RB is slim. Why reach in R2, when you can get just about as good a player in R4. This is NOT the year to draft a RB high.

Hawaii 5-0
01-16-2013, 02:08 PM

I would happily select Giovani Bernard from NC or Eddie Lacy from Alabama in Round 2 if they are still on the board when it's our turn to pick.

teegre
01-16-2013, 02:10 PM
I would happily select Giovani Bernard from NC or Eddie Lacy from Alabama in Round 2 if they are still on the board when it's our turn to pick.

They are good, but are they that much betetr than (say) Mike Gillisee in R4?

Bang for one's buck.

pete74
01-16-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm sure he's not happy with Woodley, Troy or Brown. Everyone keeps saying that Mendy andWallace and yes there both had disappointments but there also making less then the other guys. I'm sure Colbert can'tbe happy with Brown or WWoodley seeing there stats and how much there making

rpbncb
01-16-2013, 02:32 PM
no need to pick RB before round 4 or later. Mendy good as gone. GOOD!!! Too bad Woodley's not a FA cause he commited robery this past year.

Darkstorm05
01-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Here is what I deduced:

I could see Harriosn, Keisel, and even Troy needing to restructure.

I think we're done restructuring aging players with giant deals. That's how we got into cap hell, and it only digs us into a deeper hole. Troy and Harrison need to be cut, and signed for lesser amounts. No restructuring.

StainlessStill
01-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Colbert is pissed. Good to see the Steelers coming to terms having the wiggle room to make the necessary adjustments on the roster to put together the right combinations to remain competitive. Roster shakeups to come. Can't wait to see this team get back to the basics and regain their edge.

wwhickok
01-16-2013, 03:04 PM
There was lots of interesting information in this thread. I was actually looking at the thread via my cell and felt compelled come on in and share my two cents.

Will Allen, Charlie Batch, Plaxico Burress, Larry Foote, Ramon Foster, Casey Hampton, Brandon Johnson, David Johnson, Byron Leftwich, Doug Legursky, Justin King, Keenan Lewis, Rashard Mendenhall, Ryan Mundy, Leonard Pope, Max Starks, Mike Wallace, Greg Warren

RESTRICTED (6) – Jonathan Dwyer, Jeremy Kapinos, Steve McLendon, Isaac Redman, Stevenson Sylvester, Emmanuel Sanders

That's our FA list as listed ont he website. Of that list I expect us to resign:

Mike Wallace, Steve McClendon, & possibly Kellen Lewis(but I'm 75% sure he'll sign elsewhere).

I understand the opinions that suggest we should let Wallace go and I'm not sure I'd be upset if that happened, but I also believe that there is a good chance he stays here and I think that would ultimately be good for our receiver corps. I think Sanders really lost some luster with the coaching staff with the big errors he had this season with fumbling.

I think Harrison is gone. They'll save quite a bit of money by cutting him. I also think they'll ask Keisel and Troy to take pay cuts. I'd really be surprised if they just release Troy. I wish I was confident in that however.

A RB is definitely coming in this draft but I agree that we shouldn't take one prior to round 4. Mendenhall, who is DEFINITELY gone, was a R1 guy and look how that turned out.

I hope they cut Colon as well honestly, sure Ben likes Starks but aside from skill, age is the one thing he has a lot of. Woodley has to get into shape period or he won't be here much longer either. I also really believe the time of Ryan Clark is rapidly approaching its conclusion. I honestly expect Troy and Ryan to be here for one more season, but because of that, I expect SS and FS to be on the draft list. I think both will retire after the 2013 season.

wwhickok
01-16-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm happy someone in the organization speaks this way. It's about time the players understand that it is not a given that they are wanted regardless of performance. That no one is untouchable or above criticism. They need a swift kick in the ass.

I agree completely! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Colbert is pissed. Good to see the Steelers coming to terms having the wiggle room to make the necessary adjustments on the roster to put together the right combinations to remain competitive. Roster shakeups to come. Can't wait to see this team get back to the basics and regain their edge.

And our Edge is something we have definitely lost. I mean really, if you think about it, if we look at the roster right now..what are the positions you'd say we really need?

If it were me..I'd say the following:

QB(legit backup)
RB(legit starter)
WR
OL(depth)
DT(if Hampton retires and Ta'amu goes to jail this is a major need)
ILB
OLB
CB
FS
SS

PUNTER

OX1947
01-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Those are grown man answers made my a grown ass man. Good for him. That was one of the best answers to questions I have heard in YEARS. Priority number 1 is Keenan Lewis on that list. Ike has one more year in him. Steelers are gonna need to get a CB in the first or second round this year. OR, take a flyer on the Honey Badger. If he can avoid the hippie lettuce, man, he would be a steal like Burfict was for Cincy this year.

teegre
01-16-2013, 03:23 PM
I think we're done restructuring aging players with giant deals. That's how we got into cap hell, and it only digs us into a deeper hole. Troy and Harrison need to be cut, and signed for lesser amounts. No restructuring.

Yes & no.

Omar Khan is a genius at pushing money around.

Furthermore, they take the player's huge contract, and push the larger paycheck to the end of the contract... and then, they cut that player (eg Hines Ward & James Farrior), or, at other times, the player sees the writing on the wall & takes a pay cut (Bettis).

I think that Troy restructures his deal to take less this year, and then he retires. I see Keisel simply taking a pay cut (he saw what happened with Aaron Smith AND Cameron Heyward is waiting behind him, for 1/16 the cost). James Harrison is interesting because:

a) he is still dominant (when healhty), because he did not start until he was 26; fresh legs.

b) there are conflicting reports about his cap hit. Some say that cutting him would reduce his cap number from $6.5 million to jut $1.5 million (a savings of $5 million). BUT, I have also heard the opposite: cutting him would only save $1.5 million, because he would still cost $5 million against the cap. If it's the prior, then he mihgt indeed be cut (although I don't like it); if it is the latter, then why not just keep him around (it would not save the Steelers that much to cut him).

wwhickok
01-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Those are grown man answers made my a grown ass man. Good for him. That was one of the best answers to questions I have heard in YEARS. Priority number 1 is Keenan Lewis on that list. Ike has one more year in him. Steelers are gonna need to get a CB in the first or second round this year. OR, take a flyer on the Honey Badger. If he can avoid the hippie lettuce, man, he would be a steal like Burfict was for Cincy this year.

Ike is actually a guy I forgot to comment on.

By next season, I expect any combination of Keisel, Harrison, Hampton, Polamalu, Clark, Foote, & Taylor to be retired/gone. 3 of the guys on that list, as already mentioned, I expect to be gone during this offseason.

I do, truly believe, we could make a strong playoff push in the 2013 season, I believe Colbert has that type of determination in him. Recently I created a thread questioning the value of Colbert, I think what I said was valid but this is a Colbert we have not had the luxury of seeing in the past and it makes me change my opinion of him.

I also think that there is a much bigger chance than we have realized that Khan becomes the GM of the Jets.

TRH
01-16-2013, 03:27 PM

This.
People think we can continue "re-structuring, re-structuring, re-structuring....".
We can't.
Now look where we're at.

I'm glad Colbert stepped up with some ultra-strong words. The entire team & coaching staff needs a big, GIANT boot to the ass.
I believe - and i think you'll almost surely see this - that the franchise needs a pretty good 'on-the-field' makeover.

teegre
01-16-2013, 03:27 PM
I'm sure he's not happy with Woodley, Troy or Brown. Everyone keeps saying that Mendy andWallace and yes there both had disappointments but there also making less then the other guys. I'm sure Colbert can'tbe happy with Brown or WWoodley seeing there stats and how much there making

I had not even thought about AB... and/or Woodley.

AB will get a finger waved in his face.

Woodley... man... could you imagine if they cut him??? I know that it is not going to happen (cost too much)... but, that would send a huge message... and would eventually save a ton of money (although, the cap hit this year would be huge).

I honestly think that if he gets back into shape, he can be dominant once again; I'm not giving up on him... yet. But, it would nto surprise me if they sent a strooooong message, by using him as an example in some way.

wwhickok
01-16-2013, 03:29 PM
b) there are conflicting reports about his cap hit. Some say that cutting him would reduce his cap number from $6.5 million to jut $1.5 million (a savings of $5 million). BUT, I have also heard the opposite: cutting him would only save $1.5 million, because he would still cost $5 million against the cap. If it's the prior, then he mihgt indeed be cut (although I don't like it); if it is the latter, then why not just keep him around (it would not save the Steelers that much to cut him).

This is an article from Steelerdepot.com

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/future-of-steelers-lb-james-harrison-will-be-known-within-10-weeks/

I assume, but cannot guarantee its accuracy, but if it is accurate, there is a strong case for cutting James Harrison.

wwhickok
01-16-2013, 03:33 PM
I had not even thought about AB... and/or Woodley.

AB will get a finger waved in his face.

Woodley... man... could you imagine if they cut him??? I know that it is not going to happen (cost too much)... but, that would send a huge message... and would eventually save a ton of money (although, the cap hit this year would be huge).

I honestly think that if he gets back into shape, he can be dominant once again; I'm not giving up on him... yet. But, it would nto surprise me if they sent a strooooong message, by using him as an example in some way.

There is a part of me that is actually truly scared they WILL cut or trade Woodley regardless of the cap hit..though the smarter half of me knows it is highly unlikely.

As far as AB, he is actually the reason I think they'll resign Wallace. AB got his contract after a strong season and then his production fell like a rock. Wallace struggled this season but you could also argue that there were times when he wasn't being targeted. The issue is, when he was targeted he failed to bring in the ball several times; he had several game changing drops. But I think they may look at it as "perhaps a new contract will motivate him to improve". But having said that, it'll be a contract that is at least 95% in favor of the Steelers aka he doesn't perform they can afford to cut him.

rich4eagle
01-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Colbert is the strongest link the Steeler hierarchy, hopefully, he will succeed is doing what he always does make the team renew and stay strong or stronger

FrancoLambert
01-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Echoing many who have responded, the words we needed to hear have been heard.
I also sense he's pissed off especially when he talks about "getting mesmerized by 12-4."
I'd like to hear the head coach speak out as strongly (maybe he has and I've missed it) but he loves his veterans.
Change is in the air and we need it. Just "executing better" is not enough.

OX1947
01-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Steelers will not cut Woodley. Lamarr knows whats up. He has his first bad year as a Steeler. He just needs to workout hard in the offseason and get into better shape and I fully expect him to be a double digit sack man again.

Harrison and Troy restructure for one more year. Troy might have two years left, but I think 2013 will be the last for Harrison if he restructures this off season.

I would like for the Steelers to go off the cuff a little this off-season. If they do go with the youth movement, they can free up a lot of money. If they do that, maybe sign a really good free agent this year or make an out of ordinary trade.

My dream starting lineup next year:

QB- Big Ben
RB- Ed Lacy
FB- Will Johnson
WR- Larry Fitzgerald(Draft Day trade) Pipe Dream, but we did it with Bettis....
WR- Antonio Brown
TE- Heath Miller
LT- Marcus Gilbert
LG- David DeCastro
C- Maurkice Pouncey
RG- Doug Legursky
RT- Mike Adams

Defense

ROLB- James Harrison
LOLB- Lamarr Woodley
WLB- Lawrence Timmons
MLB- Sean Spence
RDE- Ziggy Hood
NT- Steve McClendon
LDE- Cameron Heyward
RCB- Keenan Lewis
LCB- Ike Taylor (With a lot of playing time for Honey Badger)
SS- Ryan Clark
FS- Troy Polamalu

Special Teams:

Keep Squeezem
Honey Badger becomes our special team threat on punts and kick offs until Ike retires or leaves after 2013.

wwhickok
01-16-2013, 04:12 PM
2 thinks OX, don't think there is any chance in hell we trade for/land Larry Fitzgerald, but if you're going to dream you might as well dream big.

Secondly.. I want NO PART of the Tyrann

OX1947
01-16-2013, 04:15 PM
2 thinks OX, don't think there is any chance in hell we trade for/land Larry Fitzgerald, but if you're going to dream you might as well dream big.

Secondly.. I want NO PART of the Tyrann

True on Fitz, but man, if you can get Tyrann for a late rounder, its worth it, you have too. There is too much talent there not to give a shot and if he pans out, he is a perennial all pro type and we NEED that guy in this league of passing. Im just sayin...

wwhickok
01-16-2013, 04:25 PM
True on Fitz, but man, if you can get Tyrann for a late rounder, its worth it, you have too. There is too much talent there not to give a shot and if he pans out, he is a perennial all pro type and we NEED that guy in this league of passing. Im just sayin...

When you put it that way, I can't disagree, the reward is bigger than the risk.

Atlanta Dan
01-16-2013, 04:33 PM
It appears Colbert has concluded attempting to apply patches will no longer work and that it is time for a rebuild

Ben might have to hope he can stay healthy and be around to be the grand old man of the team (such as Elway in the last few years of his career) after the Steelers take time time to retool for a few years

70s Steelers recognized it was time to say goodbye to a lot of players in 1980-81 after their run that started in 1972 ended - this group's run since 2004 is on the same trajectory (with the hopeful difference that Ben does not get a career ending injury like Bradshaw did that leads to an early termination of his career)

OX1947
01-16-2013, 04:35 PM
It appears Colbert has concluded attempting to apply patches will no longer work and that it is time for a rebuild

Ben might have to hope he can stay healthy and be around to be the grand old man of the team (such as Elway in the last few years of his career) after the Steelers take time time to retool for a few years

70s Steelers recognized it was time to say goodbye to a lot of players in 1980-81 after their run that started in 1972 ended - this group's run since 2004 is on the same trajectory (with the hopeful difference that Ben does not get a career ending injury like Bradshaw did that leads to an early termination of his career)

Not drafting Dan Marino in 1983 cost the Steelers, more then likely, a few super bowls too.

GoFor7
01-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Quite a contrast from what Artie said last week and what Colbert said today. Artie tried to sugar coat a lot of things, Colbert was blunt and to the point: 8-8. A lot of things about this Steelers team sucked and he acknowledged it. Artie tried to convince the media the Steelers are up there with the other playoff teams while Colbert bluntly put it that the Steelers aren't anywhere near that good.

Memo to Artie: Let Kevin Colbert handle football operations as you aren't very good at it.

OX1947
01-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Might as well do a complete overhaul. Keep Troy and Harrison and let all the other old timers go. Start the youth movement now and get a receiver in a trade or free agency.

With the league being the way it is now, you do not need seasoned vets, hell even a seasoned QB not names Brady to have chance at going to the bowl. Go young, go hard. Too many damn injuries, need young guys who dont get hurt.

Atlanta Dan
01-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Not drafting Dan Marino in 1983 cost the Steelers, more then likely, a few super bowls too.

Agreed - supposedly The Chief wanted to draft Marino but Noll was scared away by the drug rumors that scared off a lot of teams

teegre
01-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Quite a contrast from what Artie said last week and what Colbert said today. Artie tried to sugar coat a lot of things, Colbert was blunt and to the point: 8-8. A lot of things about this Steelers team sucked and he acknowledged it. Artie tried to convince the media the Steelers are up there with the other playoff teams while Colbert bluntly put it that the Steelers aren't anywhere near that good.

Memo to Artie: Let Kevin Colbert handle football operations as you aren't very good at it.

I feel that both were correct.

This team was 6-3 and arguably one of the best in the league (many sources had them as the top team in their power-rankings...not that power-ranking mean much), and Las Vegas had them as the third or fourth best odds to win it all.

And then... injuries galore.

Furthermore, this team is young at several key positions: WR, CB, ILB, DE, O-line.

BUT, there is also dead weight and/or a need for change (or cuts or whatever).

pete74
01-16-2013, 04:50 PM

He is my all time favorite playe . Met him at his restaurant Anthony south of the city a few times and had my little boy go ask him to sign his rookie card for him. He's a very nice man and I still regret not drafting him. We would probably be have 3 more rings

teegre
01-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Agreed - supposedly The Chief wanted to draft Marino but Noll was scared away by the drug rumors that scared off a lot of teams

Argh... The Chief was such a meddlesome owner. Argh... what does an owner ever know. Argh!!!

Darkstorm05
01-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Yes & no.

Omar Khan is a genius at pushing money around.

Furthermore, they take the player's huge contract, and push the larger paycheck to the end of the contract... and then, they cut that player (eg Hines Ward & James Farrior), or, at other times, the player sees the writing on the wall & takes a pay cut (Bettis).

I think that Troy restructures his deal to take less this year, and then he retires. I see Keisel simply taking a pay cut (he saw what happened with Aaron Smith AND Cameron Heyward is waiting behind him, for 1/16 the cost). James Harrison is interesting because:

They only have 2 years left on their contracts. We're at the end, and there's really nowhere left to push the money to. Both are due like 12 mil next season, and 13ish the next. Both performed on about a 4.5 mil level this season. If we ask them to push back even 5 mil a piece, then we would have 36 million hanging on the 2014 season between 2 guys.

They would be retarded to agree to that, because it raises their chances of getting screwed next year to 100%. That "Restructured" money would be money they let walk, and there's no way that goes down, because we would cut them for sure. That leaves them to other get cut this offseason and sign a cheaper contract, get cut and go elsewhere, or else we keep them on and get bent over the table on salaries that won't see a return on the field.

teegre
01-16-2013, 04:59 PM

LARRY FITZGERALD
I do not think that a trade for Fitzgerald is all that crazy of an idea. Fitzgerald is no spring chicken, and depending on who the coach is in Arizona, they might be rebuilding... and Fitzgerlad only has two or three great years left in the tank.

Arizona's defense is stout, but they have NO quarterback, and their O-line is horrid. Again, Fitzgerald might only have two or three great seasosn left him him. Does he really want to wait around while a young QB learns the ropes? If there was an Andrew Luck or RGIII in this draft, then maybe... but, they will likely have to go for a second-tier type of QB (who they would have to develop). Thus, if Arizona could trade Fitzgerald to someone for a R1 pick, I think that they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Oh man... I could see the Taperiots trading for him. Gulp!!!

Maybe Woodley for Fitzgerald. Ha, ha, ha... wait a second... hmmm.

THE HONEY BADGER
At the end of last season, I had three player son my wish list: Tavon Austin, Matt Elam, and Tyrann Mathieu.

Weed took Tyrann off of my board. :banging:

No need for a WR in the first round took Tavon off of my board.

Now, all that i can hope for is Elam.

teegre
01-16-2013, 05:02 PM
They only have 2 years left on their contracts. We're at the end, and there's really nowhere left to push the money to. Both are due like 12 mil next season, and 13ish the next. Both performed on about a 4.5 mil level this season. If we ask them to push back even 5 mil a piece, then we would have 36 million hanging on the 2014 season between 2 guys.

They would be retarded to agree to that, because it raises their chances of getting screwed next year to 100%. That "Restructured" money would be money they let walk, and there's no way that goes down, because we would cut them for sure. That leaves them to other get cut this offseason and sign a cheaper contract, get cut and go elsewhere, or else we keep them on and get bent over the table on salaries that won't see a return on the field.

Troy is only 32... so, technically, they could extend him for three years (like they did Farrior)... have him play one or two years, and then dump him (like they did with Farrior).

Keisel... well... he'll just have to take less money. He's 35, and has a young buck behind him (who produces when he plays).

Lady Steel
01-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Colbert: Steelers roster could undergo big changes

January 16, 2013 2:42 pm
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert today promised changes to their roster after an 8-8 season, changes that could include saying goodbye to some veterans and even their high-profile free agents.

"When you're 12-4 and a playoff team, sometimes you get mesmerized by your success and you get a little reluctant to change," Colbert said, referring to the Steelers' record in both 2010 and 2011.

"If we don't change a roster that produced 8-8, we'd be silly to expect a better result."

Colbert said the Steelers are still evaluating players and planning how to get into salary cap compliance by the March 12 deadline. The cap is expected to be similar to last year, around $121 million per team. The Steelers are projected to be at least $10 million over that right now.

They will get under it, Colbert said, through contract terminations, extensions and reconstructions.

He sounded as if none of their impending free agents will get contract offers before they can hit the open market March 12.

"We won't know what an individual player will cost until he gets out there," Colbert said. "Going into this thing, we're not married to anybody."

The Steelers have a gaggle of starters who will become unrestricted free agents including Mike Wallace, Keenan Lewis, Max Starks, Rashard Mendenhall, Casey Hampton, Larry Foote and Ramon Foster.

As for using the franchise tag to prevent any of them from signing elsewhere, Colbert called it "very doubtful."

"I don't think we have too many franchise players," he added.

Colbert met with a handful of writers who regularly cover the Steelers today. Among some of his other points:

• On the running game, which produced its fewest yards in nine seasons: "Where we were in the running game last year was indicative of the talent at the position ... That group of players didn't produce the way we anticipated they would."

• The decision to cut Chris Rainey will not be reversed, no matter what the legal outcome of his battery arrest in Florida: "The decision has been made."

• On Steelers executive Omar Khan being a finalist to become the New York Jets general manager: "He's earned it. We think he's ready."

• Colbert noted that the Steelers, according to one study, had fewer injuries that some playoff teams had. "We were not the only team that had injuries. Teams that had more had better results." He said the amount of injuries "really wasn't unique to us."

• In other news, the Steelers did sign one of their own free agents. Cornerback Justin King of Monroeville, Gateway High School and Penn State, signed a contract for his veteran minimum.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/colbert-steelers-roster-could-undergo-big-changes-670606/

fer522
01-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Is good to hear someone tell it like it is. I guess the standard is NOT the standard anymore

Lady Steel
01-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Let's hope not, fer, because the standard was definitely substandard.

OX1947
01-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Argh... The Chief was such a meddlesome owner. Argh... what does an owner ever know. Argh!!!

Man, it was the 80s, almost every adult was trying snow candy. To bad.

Blackout
01-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Only thing I am worried about is Omar Khan leaving.

Good to see Colbert gives no fucks.

Millers the sh!t
01-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Steelers Canada, you saved the best quote for last.

austinfrench76
01-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Alot of bold statements by Colbert. I am anxious to watch this play out. Gonna be interesting....

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Im just really hoping that we bounce back next year and make a serious run for number 7, but all this talk about roster change is kinda making me worry just a little bit.

Ben is going to be 31 next season and if we want more Super Bowls we need to get our shit together fast no time to waste.

OX1947
01-17-2013, 01:42 AM
Only thing I am worried about is Omar Khan leaving.

Good to see Colbert gives no fucks.

I would be surprised if he went to the Jets. Working with a guy who's name both mean schlong and the head of the schlong in Rex Ryan, I just dont see it. Anyone but the Jets.

Fire Haley
01-17-2013, 01:51 AM
HEADS ARE GONNA ROLL!

"If we don't change a roster that produced 8-8, we'd be silly to expect a better result''

BlaZeQuietly
01-17-2013, 02:03 AM
THANK GOD, some of these guys need to go (mendenhall, wallace) Half of the 0-line. I am so glad to hear this. I was afraid we were just going to cut a few players to make cap space and go with the same pieces of crap we had this season. Thrilled to hear that is not the case. no more trio of shitty running backs. Like I said Draft a back as our number 1 or 2 pick, and this time draft the right one.

TheVet
01-17-2013, 02:36 AM
Running back is not the problem.

lloydwoodson
01-17-2013, 02:49 AM
THANK GOD, some of these guys need to go (mendenhall, wallace) Half of the 0-line. I am so glad to hear this. I was afraid we were just going to cut a few players to make cap space and go with the same pieces of crap we had this season. Thrilled to hear that is not the case. no more trio of shitty running backs. Like I said Draft a back as our number 1 or 2 pick, and this time draft the right one.

Thankfully you aren't the GM.

You want to get rid of arguably the best deep threat in the NFL, the Steelers best WR and Ben's favourite target. You also want to get rid of a proven NFL starting running back who is a 25 year old former first round pick to take a chance on an unproven college player who might be better or who might be a bust. I'm not sure which OL you don't like but they are all young and most of them were hurt.

With the Steelers spending a first round pick on running back every four years it's going to be hard to fill quality players at other positions.

wwhickok
01-17-2013, 06:03 AM
To an earlier comment Troy Polamalu is 31. Will be 32 in April.

teegre
01-17-2013, 07:35 AM
To an earlier comment Troy Polamalu is 31. Will be 32 in April.

Even better.

Fire Haley
01-17-2013, 07:46 AM
so, we should expect a 3rd or 4th rd QB pick too - oh, Ben won't like that

The Steelers will explore drafting a quarterback above the late rounds to provide a younger backup to Ben Roethlisberger

teegre
01-17-2013, 07:49 AM
so, we should expect a 3rd or 4th rd QB pick too - oh, Ben won't like that

The Steelers will explore drafting a quarterback above the late rounds to provide a younger backup to Ben Roethlisberger

I think BB knows that the team needs a legitimate back-up QB.

Fire Haley
01-17-2013, 07:58 AM
or maybe a 1st rounder

"We won't close the door on any position in any round. We can't ... Once we get into free agency and the draft, I don't see any position that's off limits."

TRH
01-17-2013, 08:47 AM
I think BB knows that the team needs a legitimate back-up QB.

this.

He's fully aware that our backup situation sucks and that it hurts the team - BIG. Ben will be excited to work with a youngster (if we actually draft one)

sloppyjoe
01-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Thankfully you aren't the GM.

You want to get rid of arguably the best deep threat in the NFL, the Steelers best WR and Ben's favourite target. You also want to get rid of a proven NFL starting running back who is a 25 year old former first round pick to take a chance on an unproven college player who might be better or who might be a bust. I'm not sure which OL you don't like but they are all young and most of them were hurt.

With the Steelers spending a first round pick on running back every four years it's going to be hard to fill quality players at other positions.

both players quit on the team and dont want to be here. why do you want to pay them huge money to underperform and be a distraction?

SteelersCanada
01-17-2013, 02:30 PM
both players quit on the team and dont want to be here. why do you want to pay them huge money to underperform and be a distraction?

Man, you must have a connection to Mike Wallace. Where are you getting this? Mike has said on multiple occasions that he wants to stay in Pittsburgh. He wants to play here and play with Roethlisberger.

I'm convinced you're on here today to stir shit up.

steelfury02
01-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Man, you must have a connection to Mike Wallace. Where are you getting this? Mike has said on multiple occasions that he wants to stay in Pittsburgh. He wants to play here and play with Roethlisberger.

counter-clockwise preferably

BlaZeQuietly
01-17-2013, 02:53 PM

Actions speak louder than words and I remember seeing a huge lack of effort on wallace's part. Sometimes not even going after passes that were border line catch-able.

steelfury02
01-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Actions speak louder than words and I remember seeing a huge lack of effort on wallace's part. Sometimes not even going after passes that were border line catch-able.

But you should "catch me an muh boy @AntonioBrown84" a munth frum nah on hardwood Heats game"

Ya feel me bruh?

His thugness and social media have warped his peanut-sized brain to a new dimension of terror

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-17-2013, 03:20 PM

Gotta disagree here.

I don't really give much of a flying fuck what Wallace says-- his actions speak much louder than his words.

Holding out for a bigger paycheck you have not earned, and holding the team hostage over it, is not showing us he wants to be here still.

Seeking a top-5 WR contract when you cannot even break 1000 yards receiving is arrogant and not showing us he wants to be here long-term.

Alligator-arming catchable passes and short-arming marginal ones is not showing us he wants to be here.

An inability to run any route other than a post or streak shows us he is not a long term solution.

He cried for more deep passing plays, which our coaching staff caved in to in the second half of the season. The result? We got to watch him put 40 yard passes on the ground instead of 15 yard ones. Or worse, yet, he watched as the defenders intercepted it.

Then, when it becomes clear we are out of the postseason, he decides he does not have to play anymore and sits the game out.

Mike Wallace would make nearly a perfect Raider. He is a trojan horse and a blackhole for big plays.

Haley's offense hinges around getting rid of the ball quicker and a lot of high-opercentage plays. Possession-type receivers are more important to that scheme than deep threats with shoddy hands and bad attitudes. Right now, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery are more vital to this offense than Wallace.

TRH
01-17-2013, 03:25 PM
i agree.
Wallace would make a good fit in Oakland, Baltimore, GB, there's a slew of places. PLENTY of teams will be offering him big money.

He's gone. The team hasn't "said it.." - but they've pretty much "said it..", ya know? We have LOTS and LOTS of things we have to do with some of that money. Actually, we need to be subtracting money.
Wallace = gone. No doubt, no question.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-17-2013, 03:26 PM

Wallace quit on the team. Wallace was given an ideal situation and blew it.

I think Mendenhall's situation was a little different, and is salvageable He was singled out and punished for an offense that he was not the only one guilty of, by any means.

Keep in mind when you are saying Mendy "quit on the team"-- he rushed an 18-month recovery to be back with the team in 12 months. I cannot really blame him for being disgruntled after the way Tomlin treated him.

Mendenhall is not worth big money anymore, and I see no reason to waste an early draft pick to bring in yet another RB when we already have a legit #1 RB on our roster. There is no way we can fill all the holes in this roster if we are drafting a RB int eh 1st round every 3 or 4 years.

I say re-sign Mendy-- his situation is correctable. Wallace on the other hand had all the cards in his hand-- considering that he was jockeying for a contract, he should have had a career season. His best effort got him and the team lots of drops and a one-trick pony.

steelfury02
01-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Gotta disagree here.

I don't really give much of a flying fuck what Wallace says-- his actions speak much louder than his words.

Holding out for a bigger paycheck you have not earned, and holding the team hostage over it, is not showing us he wants to be here still.

Seeking a top-5 WR contract when you cannot even break 1000 yards receiving is arrogant and not showing us he wants to be here long-term.

Alligator-arming catchable passes and short-arming marginal ones is not showing us he wants to be here.

An inability to run any route other than a post or streak shows us he is not a long term solution.

He cried for more deep passing plays, which our coaching staff caved in to in the second half of the season. The result? We got to watch him put 40 yard passes on the ground instead of 15 yard ones. Or worse, yet, he watched as the defenders intercepted it.

Then, when it becomes clear we are out of the postseason, he decides he does not have to play anymore and sits the game out.

Mike Wallace would make nearly a perfect Raider. He is a trojan horse and a blackhole for big plays.

Haley's offense hinges around getting rid of the ball quicker and a lot of high-opercentage plays. Possession-type receivers are more important to that scheme than deep threats with shoddy hands and bad attitudes. Right now, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery are more vital to this offense than Wallace.

and even't if it isn't Haley's offense - I can't stress possession enough - it is a lost commodity around these parts - Hines Ward wasn't the fastest, or even middle of the pack in speed - I actually considred him if not one of, THE slowest receiver in the league - yet, one of the greats. Why? Cause in his prime he MADE separation and the catch happen - not just trying to turn on the burners and get away from separation.

sloppyjoe
01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Gotta disagree here.

nice job. you saved me alot of typing.
lets not forget how he admitted to losing concentration(because he wasnt getting the ball when in fact he got more looks this year than ever)

SteelersCanada
01-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Oh, how quickly we forget when Ward held out and 'held the team hostage'. Over what, you're asking? Money. But, as usual, we need a fall guy to take the brunt of our frustration and why shouldn't it be the guy who held out?

He dropped balls. He lost concentration. At times, he looked out of sorts and not Wallace-like. So, we went 8-8 and on this site people decide to blame: a) Ben b) Tomlin c) Wallace d) Brown ... let me save some time, who didn't we blame?

Ward, this fanbases' poster-boy, pulled the exact same shit that Wallace did this offseason but we choose to forget it. We complain about double-standards by the front office but have them here, too. No, let's pin this season on Wallace because it was his lack of focus and concentration that caused this season to go off the rails. It wasn't the fact that we had a new OC, or the fact that our franchise quarterback went down - it was Mike Wallace and his holdout.

Scapegoat?

sloppyjoe
01-17-2013, 05:38 PM
i dont seem to remember anyone saying it was all wallaces fault for our 8-8 season.
i dont remember anyone saying we didnt care that ward held out.
what we do know is that this 8-8 season was partly due to wallace.
we also know that due to his actions this year(as stated above a few posts) that he was one of the biggest disappointments.
we also know that the team is strapped for cash and needs to free up some cash by cutting and restructuring players.
SO, seeing that we have to cut some players that actually tried this year to get under the cap, it would only m ake sense to cut the ones that didnt help us on the field or with their cap hit.
you on the other hand want to pay wallace 10+ million.
why would you want to pay a guy that much money when he sh!t on the team, fans and owner this year?
you can pretend that wallace is innocent and blame everyone else but the logical fans see what the problem is.............besides, if wallace wanted to stay here, like you claim he does, why didnt he take the contract that was offerd to him?

steelfury02
01-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Oh, how quickly we forget when Ward held out and 'held the team hostage'. Over what, you're asking? Money. But, as usual, we need a fall guy to take the brunt of our frustration and why shouldn't it be the guy who held out?

He dropped balls. He lost concentration. At times, he looked out of sorts and not Wallace-like. So, we went 8-8 and on this site people decide to blame: a) Ben b) Tomlin c) Wallace d) Brown ... let me save some time, who didn't we blame?

Ward, this fanbases' poster-boy, pulled the exact same shit that Wallace did this offseason but we choose to forget it. We complain about double-standards by the front office but have them here, too. No, let's pin this season on Wallace because it was his lack of focus and concentration that caused this season to go off the rails. It wasn't the fact that we had a new OC, or the fact that our franchise quarterback went down - it was Mike Wallace and his holdout.

Scapegoat?

1 big difference - more production than 1 Mike Wallace leading up to the holdout and he followed it up with a SB MVP.

I don't remember Ward asking for more money than he was worth.

SteelersCanada
01-17-2013, 06:03 PM
i dont seem to remember anyone saying it was all wallaces fault for our 8-8 season.
i dont remember anyone saying we didnt care that ward held out.
what we do know is that this 8-8 season was partly due to wallace.
we also know that due to his actions this year(as stated above a few posts) that he was one of the biggest disappointments.
we also know that the team is strapped for cash and needs to free up some cash by cutting and restructuring players.
SO, seeing that we have to cut some players that actually tried this year to get under the cap, it would only m ake sense to cut the ones that didnt help us on the field or with their cap hit.
you on the other hand want to pay wallace 10+ million.
why would you want to pay a guy that much money when he sh!t on the team, fans and owner this year?
you can pretend that wallace is innocent and blame everyone else but the logical fans see what the problem is.............besides, if wallace wanted to stay here, like you claim he does, why didnt he take the contract that was offerd to him?

He shit on the owner, fans and the team this year? I'd love for you to reveal your inside source, because apparently, you know more about the Mike Wallace contract situation than anyone else in the media. Yep, we know a contract was turned down by either Bus Cook or Mike Wallace. The contract was lucrative, but we don't know who turned it down. I've said it once and I'll say it again, I very much doubt a young kid like Wallace would have turned down a 50 million dollar deal if someone wasn't whispering in his ear.

The logical fans see what the problem is? You mean the same logical fans that think cutting Woodley is a great idea, despite the cap implications and the fact that it's the dumbest fucking thing we could do? Or, the logical fans that freak out and overreact when we have a mediocre season that was marred by injuries? Oh, the same logical fans that are calling for Tomlin's head. Yep, these logical fans.

I'm not claiming anything. He's said it multiple times.

Like here:
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08/mike-wallace-hopes-to-get-new-contract-wants-to-stay-in-pittsburgh/

Or here:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/22/mike-wallace-i-want-to-stay-in-pittsburgh-but-its-a-business/

I deal in facts and quotes. You're dealing in hypothetical situations and making assumptions based on the bias you already have against Wallace. To me, that doesn't scream 'logical fan' as you put it.

1 big difference - more production than 1 Mike Wallace leading up to the holdout and he followed it up with a SB MVP.

I don't remember Ward asking for more money than he was worth.

I'd like for you to provide the link in which Mike Wallace was asking for more than he was worth. No, I don't want a link describing what 'inside sources' say, either. I want a quote from Wallace asking for a specific dollar amount. It'd be even better if you could find one where he asked for Larry Fitzgerald money.

Wallace is worth a 5 year / 50 - 52.5 million dollar deal and he's not going to get a lot more elsewhere, despite the speculation and assumptions are on this site. I guarantee if we match an offer that another team gives him, he'll come back and be sturdy at the WR position for another 5 years.

Hawaii 5-0
01-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Big changes afoot for Steelers?

January 16th, 2013
By Dejan Kovacevic

Just met with Kevin Colbert, the Steelers’ GM, at the team headquarters on the South Side, along with a handful of other reporters.

Our Alan Robinson has full news coverage, so I’ll just share a few thoughts here …

>> Maybe you had to be in that office, but I didn’t get the sense Colbert was set on status quo heading into this offseason. Far from it, actually.

He’s not the type to divulge details, to put it mildly, but the way he answered a few of the various questions — repeated references to the “61 players we have” not being good enough, quick references to “terminations,” being open to using money from terminations to even (gasp) look at free agency — let’s just say he sounded like he was setting the stage for significant change.

Could be wrong. Just sharing.

>> I asked Colbert about LaMarr Woodley, and he pointed, as others have on the record, to Woodley’s “results” rather than his conditioning.

“I believe the effort was there,” Colbert said.

I also asked if Woodley should or could get lighter, and Colbert responded that he’s “always been a big guy.” So that didn’t get much further.

Colbert also told me, “I’ll bet if you ask LaMarr, he’d be the first to tell you he was disappointed with how his season went.”

Uh, tried that. Didn’t exactly work.

>> Goodbye, Rashard Mendenhall.

Forever.

Let there be no doubt on that one. He burned every bridge there was to burn by not showing up for work that one Sunday.

>> It won’t be goodbye for the rest of the running backs, but I’d rent rather than buy if I’m Jonathan Dwyer and/or Isaac Redman. Colbert tried as hard as he could to steer specific questions into generalities, but he left no doubt who was mostly to blame for the 26th-ranked rushing offense.

“It was indicative of the talent at the position,” Colbert said.

Ouch.

>> I’ve got a slightly different feeling for the disciplinary handlings of Chris Rainey and Alameda Ta’amu than when I walked into that room, but not by much. If Rainey’s act was significant enough to “break the trust,” as Colbert put it, so was Ta’amu’s.

There were repeated references, actually, to “trust” as it relates to Rainey. I’m only guessing here, but if being honest or forthcoming is the tiebreaker here, sorry, but that’s not enough to excuse Ta’amu’s terribly reckless actions.

>> An actual quarterback as a draft pick?

Wow, can’t even picture it. But it’s probably well past time. Ben Roethlisberger will be 31 in two months. Charlie Batch will be 91. Can’t just have a couple of guys holding a clipboard anymore.

>> My thanks to Colbert and the Steelers for the session. It was as candid and forthcoming as is reasonable under the circumstances of running a team, and it was as honest as I’ve come to expect from this team.

I’m tempted to go through my tape and count up how many times Colbert spat out the term “8-8″ in this 34-minute session. Had to be close to 50. No kidding.

These guys get sickened by losing.

http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevic/2013/01/16/big-changes-afoot-for-steelers/

FrancoLambert
01-18-2013, 05:36 PM
"These guys get sickened by losing."

GOOD......that's just the attitude we need to turn things around.
Let's hope the players feel it as much as Colbert does.

Lady Steel
01-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Colbert podcast on WDVE.

http://www.dve.com/player/?station=WDVE-FM&program_name=podcast&program_id=Interviews.xml&mid=22791380