PDA

View Full Version : Manti Te'o's girlfriend story a hoax?

GoFor7
01-16-2013, 04:39 PM
http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

Wow. While it may not affect his draft status, Te'o's PR takes a HUGE plummet with this coming out. What a creep.

Fire Arians
01-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Wow, this shit just got weird if true.

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

Atlanta Dan
01-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Notre Dame claims Manti Te'o was scammed :noidea:

In the aftermath of the bombshell Deadspin story about Notre Dame football player Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend never existing, Notre Dame has released a statement saying Te'o was the victim of the hoax, not the perpetrator of it.

Notre Dame Statement: Manti Te’o

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown
University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President

http://www.businessinsider.com/notre-dame-says-manti-teo-was-victim-of-hoax-2013-1

I hate when this sort of thing happens to me - don't you?

What a cluster

steelax04
01-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Well holy crap, I'm glad you guys know where to post this stuff... this has been in the Steelers forum and the NFL forum.

Atlanta Dan
01-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Te'o issued a statement Wednesday afternoon:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

Te'o went on the become a Heisman Trophy finalist, finishing second in the voting, and leading Notre Dame to its first appearance in the BCS championship.

In an interview with ESPN for College GameDay on Oct. 2, Te'o said that Kekua's last words to him were "I love you." He also said that she was "the most beautiful girl I've ever met."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8851033/story-manti-teo-girlfriend-death-apparently-hoax

So she was the most beautiful girl you ever met online that you never actually met?

teegre
01-16-2013, 07:30 PM
The ultimate episode of MTV's "Catfish."

teegre
01-16-2013, 07:33 PM
The ultimate episode of MTV's "Catfish."

Lady Steel
01-16-2013, 07:43 PM
So she was the most beautiful girl you ever met online that you never actually met?

Apparently. :noidea: How embarrassing. :doh:

ZoneBlitzer
01-16-2013, 07:51 PM

Wow. While it may not affect his draft status, Te'o's PR takes a HUGE plummet with this coming out. What a creep.

I don't know brings in character issues in my mind.

Fire Arians
01-16-2013, 07:59 PM
seen stuff similar to this when i used to play MMO's for a while, had a dude who was all fucked up when he found out this girl he was 'dating' while playing world of warcraft was actually a dude all along lol

Atlanta Dan
01-16-2013, 08:58 PM
For Notre Dame haters this story is pure gold

The story is utterly shocking, unless you’re familiar with the history of the mythology of Notre Dame football.

Fake, schmaltzy inspirational tales are the essence of the culture of the program. The inspirational story of Knute Rockne and his dying player, George Gipp, became a famous movie that helped enshrine Notre Dame football in the culture. In reality, Rockne was an ethically dubious sports gambler, Gipp a pool hustler, and the main events of the story — Gipp’s dying wish to “win one for the Gipper,” Rockne’s inspirational halftime speech — never happened.

Likewise, Rudy is the inspirational story of a walk-on who overcame the odds to play football at Notre Dame, but the story is also filled with falsehoods. Rudy, by the way, turned out to be a stock scammer....:chuckle:

Te’o finished a close second in the Heisman Trophy balloting — an amazing feat for a defensive player, especially one who, like Te’o, is good but not dominant. Notre Dame is exceptional at mythmaking. A new coach who ekes out a decent first season is almost automatically the subject of a hagiographic biography, like Return to Glory (Tyrone Willingham) or The New Gold Standard (Charlie Weis). I should confess my bias as the die-hard fan of a rival team, but the pattern of runaway media hype, and the constant demand for more feel-good stories, is unmistakable.

If Te’o's dying girlfriend story had been invented 80 years ago, it would have been memorialized in film and people would still believe it today.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/01/inspiring-tale-of-notre-dame-hero-totally-fake.html?mid=twitter_dailyintel

lloydwoodson
01-16-2013, 10:20 PM
seen stuff similar to this when i used to play MMO's for a while, had a dude who was all fucked up when he found out this girl he was 'dating' while playing world of warcraft was actually a dude all along lol

:rofl: Does that make him gay?

But seriously folks... is it possible that Te'o could fall out of the first round?

ZoneBlitzer
01-16-2013, 10:30 PM
So my first thought was that Manti T'eo was in on it himself to drum up publicity etc. because I had heard that he had actually met her.

Then I listened to the Notre Dame official presser standing behind the player. The gentlemen mentioned a documentary called Catfish.

So I got curious and checked it out. It is brilliant. And I can now see how someone could be duped.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-17-2013, 02:52 AM
First the championship game
Then not accepting a invite to the senior bowl
Nowwwww his dead gf is supposedly made up and never existef
Article is to long to post so heres the link
http://m.deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-17-2013, 02:53 AM
Once a top 10 pick and a college football star. But once the season ended things have fell apart for the guy

lloydwoodson
01-17-2013, 03:01 AM
This is going to turn into "Guys should we take Vontaze if he is availble in the 5th or later" of 2012. :chuckle:

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-17-2013, 03:04 AM
This story is just werid heres another article saying shes real from a nfl player

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2013, 10:53 PM ESTGetty ImagesJust when it seems like the Manti Te’o story can get no stranger, it does.On Wednesday night, Cardinals fullback Reagan Mauia (a/k/a “The Juggernaut . . . Bitch“) said that the fake dead girlfriend of Te’o is real.  Specifically, Mauia says he met Kekua in 2011.“This was before her and Manti,” Mauia said Wednesday evening, via ESPN.com.  “I don’t think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends.  We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing.  I am close to her family.  When she was going through the loss of her father, I was — I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off.  That was just from meeting her in Samoa.”Mauia said he was introduced to Kekua by Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man whom the original report regarding the hoax suggests had a role in the creation of the phony persona.  Mauia believes Kekua’s mother operates her Twitter account, and Mauia disagreed with the suggestion that Kekua doesn’t exist.“No, she is real,” Mauia said.And now we’ll wait for the story to find a way to get even weirder.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/reagan-mauia-says-lennay-kekua-is-real/

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-17-2013, 03:06 AM
Seems like a episode of mtvs catfish

PhantomJB93
01-17-2013, 03:08 AM
This is going to turn into "Guys should we take Vontaze if he is availble in the 5th or later" of 2012. :chuckle:

Well based on the rookie season Vontaze had, we probably should have :chuckle:

lloydwoodson
01-17-2013, 03:27 AM
Well based on the rookie season Vontaze had, we probably should have :chuckle:

C'mon man! You really think he is going to make it through a whole offseason without getting in trouble? Look how much trouble he got into at ASU and now he's got money off the field! He's going to make Michael Irvin look like Tebow. :toofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-17-2013, 06:40 AM
C'mon man! You really think he is going to make it through a whole offseason without getting in trouble? Look how much trouble he got into at ASU and now he's got money off the field! He's going to make Michael Irvin look like Tebow. :toofunny:

I hope you are right!! Going to top the Mike Irvin cocaine and strippers in a hotel room bust................CANT WAIT !!!:applaudit:

As for Teo, I didnt know he declined a Sr. Bowl invite. That scares me.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-17-2013, 06:46 AM
I hope you are right!! Going to top the Mike Irvin cocaine and strippers in a hotel room bust................CANT WAIT !!!:applaudit:

As for Teo, I didnt know he declined a Sr. Bowl invite. That scares me.

Yeah I was suprised about the sr bowl heres the link http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1486548-manti-teo-takes-huge-gamble-by-snubbing-senior-bowl

Vis
01-17-2013, 07:37 AM
:rofl: Does that make him gay?

But seriously folks... is it possible that Te'o could fall out of the first round?

Why? This won't change anything.

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Why? This won't change anything.

Well it could explain the motive for telling your teammates you have an imaginary girlfriend whom nobody has ever met :noidea:

teegre
01-17-2013, 08:55 AM
So my first thought was that Manti T'eo was in on it himself to drum up publicity etc. because I had heard that he had actually met her.

Then I listened to the Notre Dame official presser standing behind the player. The gentlemen mentioned a documentary called Catfish.

So I got curious and checked it out. It is brilliant. And I can now see how someone could be duped.

My teen-age daughter watches that show. I can just envision that second cameraman wearing puka shells & a Notre Dame flannel. :chuckle:

Vis
01-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Well it could explain the motive for telling your teammates you have an imaginary girlfriend whom nobody has ever met :noidea:

I meant the draft.

The issue of his sexuality could hurt him in the draft if individual GMs are bastards.

wwhickok
01-17-2013, 09:07 AM
We'll grab Te'o as an UDFA :P

steelax04
01-17-2013, 09:23 AM
And it gets even more weird...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/reagan-mauia-says-lennay-kekua-is-real/

Reagan Mauia says Lennay Kekua is real

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2013, 10:53 PM EST

Just when it seems like the Manti Te’o story can get no stranger, it does.

On Wednesday night, Cardinals fullback Reagan Mauia (a/k/a “The Juggernaut . . . Bitch“) said that the fake dead girlfriend of Te’o is real. Specifically, Mauia says he met Kekua in 2011.

“This was before her and Manti,” Mauia said Wednesday evening, via ESPN.com. “I don’t think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was — I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa.”

Mauia said he was introduced to Kekua by Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man whom the original report regarding the hoax suggests had a role in the creation of the phony persona. Mauia believes Kekua’s mother operates her Twitter account, and Mauia disagreed with the suggestion that Kekua doesn’t exist.

“No, she is real,” Mauia said.

And now we’ll wait for the story to find a way to get even weirder.

steelax04
01-17-2013, 09:26 AM

Guess I was lucky that my wife was actually a female... The best part is that me, her, and her ex-husband all played together at one point.

steelax04
01-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Holy smokes...

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95931

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2013, 09:42 AM
I meant the draft.

The issue of his sexuality could hurt him in the draft if individual GMs are bastards.

IMO GMs know of individual players who are gay (no currrent players in the NFL are out but GMs know a lot and it is statistically improbable there are no gay players in the NFL) and hopefully do not really give a damn if the guy can play

Whether or not he is gay is of course nobody's concern but his own - I was just saying in the world of top flight football (especially at a Catholic school given the Church's views on sexuality) he might have had a tremendous incentive to come up with a cover story

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2013, 09:44 AM
And it gets even more weird...

Reagan Mauia says Lennay Kekua is real

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2013, 10:53 PM EST

Just when it seems like the Manti Te’o story can get no stranger, it does.

On Wednesday night, Cardinals fullback Reagan Mauia (a/k/a “The Juggernaut . . . Bitch“) said that the fake dead girlfriend of Te’o is real. Specifically, Mauia says he met Kekua in 2011.

“This was before her and Manti,” Mauia said Wednesday evening, via ESPN.com. “I don’t think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was — I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa.”

Mauia said he was introduced to Kekua by Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man whom the original report regarding the hoax suggests had a role in the creation of the phony persona. Mauia believes Kekua’s mother operates her Twitter account, and Mauia disagreed with the suggestion that Kekua doesn’t exist.

“No, she is real,” Mauia said.

And now we’ll wait for the story to find a way to get even weirder.

:popcorn:

Now we know what it takes to bump Lance Armstrong off the front page - maybe Manti should do an interview with Oprah

Vis
01-17-2013, 10:32 AM
:popcorn:

Now we know what it takes to bump Lance Armstrong off the front page - maybe Manti should do an interview with Oprah

Was Kekua performance enhancing?

Vis
01-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Reagan Maui’a: Troy Polamalu was not involved in Manti Te’o hoax
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 17, 2013, 10:23 AM EST
Troy Polamalu AP

Reagan Maui’a has some type of involvement in the bizarre hoax surrounding the fake girlfriend of former Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o. Maui’a made that clear when he claimed to have met Lennay Kekua, a person who does not exist.

But Maui’a wants everyone to know that Steelers safety Troy Polamalu had nothing to do with the hoax. And Polamalu wants everyone to know that, too.

Maui’a, a fullback who has bounced around the NFL for six seasons, most recently with the Cardinals, took to Twitter on Thursday morning and wrote that Polamalu never met the person who was posing as “Lennay Kekua,” and that Polamalu had nothing to do with the hoax. Maui’a said Polamalu is “being unfairly dragged into this.”

Reagan Maui'a @Reagan_Mauia45

Troy Polamalu did not meet Lennay or knew of her @ all. He's being unfairly dragged into this & has absolutely no involvement.
17 Jan 13

Retweet
Favorite

Polamalu re-tweeted that tweet so that his 500,000-plus Twitter followers would see it, so Polamalu was obviously concerned about people thinking he might have some involvement in this bizarre story.

Maui’a also told reporters that if they were planning to call him for a story about the case they shouldn’t bother because he’s done talking about it. For the rest of us, however, this is a bizarre story that is not going away.

Fire Arians
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
why would he need to talk to some girl online? seriously he's joe football at his school and probably could get any girl on campus with no effort at all

Lady Steel
01-17-2013, 04:39 PM
I think Te'o knew exactly what he was doing and exactly what was going on. We just don't know the entire story yet.

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Grantland has a great back and forth on this with Chuck Klosterman and Malcolm Gladwell trading shots such as these

All season long, after every Notre Dame win, I would turn to my wife and casually remark, "The Irish truly have a great defense — except for all their fake relationships with nonexistent leukemia victims. That's gonna cause problems when they face somebody from the SEC."

This is perhaps the goofiest "non-sports" sports story we've experienced since Tonya Harding.

it's difficult to understand how Manti Te'o could travel to Hawaii to visit his "girlfriend" without actually seeing her, unless he's just a profoundly confused person. Going to Hawaii to see a girl and then merely texting with her (the whole time you're there) is the equivalent of taking the Wonderlic Test and scoring a negative 36.

If a football player from the University of Miami made up an Internet girlfriend, we would just assume that it was a part of their undergraduate major in Online-Dating Studies.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8854036/malcolm-gladwell-chuck-klosterman-manti-teo

tony hipchest
01-18-2013, 11:18 AM
If a football player from the University of Miami made up an Internet girlfriend, we would just assume that it was a part of their undergraduate major in Online-Dating Studies.

:toofunny:

BrandonCarr39
01-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Well, I've heard real life stories where people have gotten involved in supposedly online romances, but they found out later that it was nothing but a hoax when all was said and done.

One of the real life stories involved a woman inticing a man by imposing as her daughter. Ended up driving that man crazy.

torpedoshell31
01-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Stephen A. Smith on ESPN said that if T'eo is in on this hoax and not the just the victim, then he drops to the 3rd round in the draft.

Vis
01-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Stephen A. Smith on ESPN said that if T'eo is in on this hoax and not the just the victim, then he drops to the 3rd round in the draft.

He says a lot of things. T'eo will be taught how to handle the question in interviews by his agent. He'll convince some team.

Vis
01-20-2013, 11:18 AM
I Just Want To Apologize To Manti Te'o For What I Put Him Through
COMMENTARY • Opinion • ISSUE 49•03 • Jan 18, 2013
By Lennay Kekua

Recent events have forced me to do a lot of deep and involved soul-searching. In a little over 24 hours, the nation has watched in bewilderment as the reputation of a wonderful man has been called into question. The worst part about this embarrassing scandal is that it has all been at the expense of a generous, kind, and, above all, trusting man named Manti Te’o, whose only crime was caring for me: an imaginary person who does not exist.

And because of this, I just want to say: I’m sorry, Manti, for everything I’ve put you through.

Though I know mere words cannot do much when the entire world wants to know why you behaved as you did, I want everyone to know that I never meant to hurt you. Indeed, had I known the things I did not do would have caused so much harm, I would have told you from the start that I wasn’t real and that we weren’t actually communicating in any actual sense of the word.

Looking back, our relationship seems like something out of a storybook: a romantic bond forged between a star Notre Dame linebacker and me, a beautiful, entirely fictitious 22-year-old Stanford student. The love Manti and I had was so strong we never once had to question the basic fundamentals of spatial reality or the nature of being—we were just one person and one fictional non-person who were head over heels for each other.

But as time went on, I will admit to being seized by an overwhelming sense of guilt and regret for leading Manti on and making him believe that I was an actual person who existed. I was ashamed of the simple, glaring fact that I am not, nor have I ever been, a real human being. I thought about telling him the truth, but what would I say? That I never had cancer? That I didn’t actually deliver him a message on my deathbed asking him to play through the Michigan State game instead of coming to my funeral that didn’t happen? That I’m not real?

Perhaps a bigger woman could admit such things, but not me. I mean, God, I’m not even alive.

And now, after the sham of my death, and my life, has been revealed, the great injustice is that the consequences for my mistakes are falling on Manti. However, it’s not his fault, even though he must have known in his heart of hearts that this woman whom he had never met or spoken to was not real. Indeed, the more illogical and contradictory every piece of evidence relating to my purported existence appeared, the more he cared. But that’s just Manti for you. My sweet, caring Manti.

Nor, by the way, is any of this the fault of Notre Dame, which allowed the truth of my nonexistence to remain hidden well after it learned of the reality of the situation. Blameless also is the media, which went along with the entire hoax without making even a cursory inquiry into my purported life or background.

And so, I want to formally apologize for what I’ve done. Try as I might, I can’t blame anyone else but myself. I’m the one who isn't real, and this is all on me.

But please believe me when I say I still have so many great memories about the times we had together, Manti, even if said times never actually happened. We had something really special together, something that transcended trifling matters such as physical reality and the nature of existence.

The truth is, I still care about you, Manti, and I’m willing to give this another shot. I know it may take you a while to learn to trust me again, but I’m begging you to take that chance. Why? Because I love you, Manti Te’o. That’s right. Lennay Kekua, an imaginary human who does not exist, is telling you that she loves you. I know it’s crazy. I know we’re probably all wrong for each other on numerous physical and metaphysical levels, but I don’t care. I want you back in my life, or rather the system of non-actualized identifying descriptors I refer to as “my life.” We can still make this work. We can still be together, albeit with a somewhat looser definition of what constitutes “being,” exactly.

Please, I implore you with all my heart, take a chance on our love. After all, what’s the worst that could happen?

Vis
01-20-2013, 03:55 PM
voHBIPUklBI