PDA

View Full Version : Steelers don't rule out drafting a QB in the 1st round

Terminator
01-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Steelers don't rule out drafting quarterback early
By Marc Sessler
Published: Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:19 a.m. Updated: Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:38 a.m.

Ben Roethlisberger has been a fixture under center for the Pittsburgh Steelers dating back to 2004, but is the team beginning to think ahead?

Coming off a disappointing 8-8 campaign, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said Wednesday the team could see a major roster shakeup in the offseason. Colbert's most surprising revelation came at quarterback, where Pittsburgh is open to drafting a passer in the first round for the first time in almost a decade.

"We won't close the door on any position in any round," Colbert told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "We can't ... Once we get into free agency and the draft, I don't see any position that's off limits."

It's notable because the Steelers have publicly swatted down the concept of drafting a quarterback in the early rounds ever since Big Ben was chosen 11th overall in 2004. The team has mainly relied on old-as-trees veterans at the position. Roethlisberger has been durable -- and certainly productive -- enough to allow that.

The 30-year-old, two-time Super Bowl winner started 13 games this season, but battled through painful injuries for the second year in a row. Roethlisberger still played at an MVP level for stretches, and Pittsburgh isn't about to uproot him for another, but the team is acknowledging that even their sturdy situation under center can't last forever.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000127620/article/steelers-dont-rule-out-drafting-quarterback-early

Vis
01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
By Marc Sessler

Ben Roethlisberger has been a fixture under center for the Pittsburgh Steelers dating back to 2004, but is the team beginning to think ahead?

Coming off a disappointing 8-8 campaign, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said Wednesday the team could see a major roster shakeup in the offseason. Colbert's most surprising revelation came at quarterback, where Pittsburgh is open to drafting a passer in the first round for the first time in almost a decade.

"We won't close the door on any position in any round," Colbert told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "We can't ... Once we get into free agency and the draft, I don't see any position that's off limits."

It's notable because the Steelers have publicly swatted down the concept of drafting a quarterback in the early rounds ever since Big Ben was chosen 11th overall in 2004. The team has mainly relied on old-as-trees veterans at the position. Roethlisberger has been durable -- and certainly productive -- enough to allow that.

The 30-year-old, two-time Super Bowl winner started 13 games this season, but battled through painful injuries for the second year in a row. Roethlisberger still played at an MVP level for stretches, and Pittsburgh isn't about to uproot him for another, but the team is acknowledging that even their sturdy situation under center can't last forever.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000127620/article/steelers-dont-rule-out-drafting-quarterback-early

They won't - but if there's a chance, it may drive up trade value on the pick.

steelfury02
01-17-2013, 11:16 AM
By Marc Sessler

as a lot have said - 4-5 seasons left is the average expectancy - more than that would be surprising (think healthy consistent line as he gets older - best scenario for his longevity)

With that thought - getting a QB in the first round this year would be a mistake with all the needs and D talent available. This to me would be more shocking than picking a RB in the first-second round. Would it be less shocking and likely over the next 2 drafts? Yup - the clock is ticking and every injury is going to have an impact - he's going to take longer and longer to come back and when he comes back - be effective in time.

teegre
01-17-2013, 11:25 AM
They won't - but if there's a chance, it may drive up trade value on the pick.

^^This^^

None of the QBs are top-ten caliber... but, 17-20 is a good landing spot for those QBs. Plus, Dallas is rumored to want a young QB.

Thus, teams like Jacksonville (who have a top-ten pick & need a QB) might be more inclined to trade back up into R1 (to 17-20), in order to get said QB.

If the price is driven up due to perceived want, Pittsburgh could get a R2 & aR3 this year, and likely a R1 next year.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-17-2013, 11:28 AM
I think they have backed themselves into a corner with some of their personnel decisions the last few years (Harrison $57 million, Ben $107 million, etc.).

We need to jusr go into rebuilding mode, forget about the playoffs the next two years. Stop drafting to fill needs and get back to drafting the best players available-- that is how we have built dominant rosters around the burgh for decades. Art II changed some of that when he took over a few years ago.

teegre
01-17-2013, 11:39 AM
I think they have backed themselves into a corner with some of their personnel decisions the last few years (Harrison $57 million, Ben $107 million, etc.).

We need to jusr go into rebuilding mode, forget about the playoffs the next two years. Stop drafting to fill needs and get back to drafting the best players available-- that is how we have built dominant rosters around the burgh for decades. Art II changed some of that when he took over a few years ago.

I'm not so sure that they haven't drafted the BPA. Sometimes, those picks at 32 are simply good, but not elite.

For example, I think that DD was the BPA at 24. With Foster already playing well, and the departure of Farrior, ILB was probably the bigger "need."

Of course, I never see drafting O-line in R1 as a wasted pick. That's just me.

steelfury02
01-17-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm not so sure that they haven't drafted the BPA. Sometimes, those picks at 32 are simply good, but not elite.

For example, I think that DD was the BPA at 24. With Foster already playing well, and the departure of Farrior, ILB was probably the bigger "need."

Of course, I never see drafting O-line in R1 as a wasted pick. That's just me.

and while none of us want a mediocre to bad season, or two or 3 in a row - sometimes those are the opportunities that create better SB-quality rosters down the road. The late 90s and early 2000s set some things up very nicely for us - this is the only way I keep myself sane in down season(s)

wwhickok
01-17-2013, 11:54 AM
0 chance we draft a QB but I don't mind other twams thinking we will

SteelersCanada
01-17-2013, 12:05 PM
We won't rule out drafting a Quarterback = we're giving a reason for teams to be concerned about us drafting a Quarterback and thus, if you want to make sure you have your guy, you're going to have to give us more picks.

No team is legitimately worried about the Steelers taking a QB in the first round.

ZoneBlitzer
01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Here's a mock draft from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts

They got for the Steelers:

Matt Elam - S

Jonathan Banks - CB

John Jenkins - DT

Sheldon Richardson - DT

pete74
01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Here's a mock draft from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts

They got for the Steelers:

Matt Elam - S

Jonathan Banks - CB

John Jenkins - DT

Sheldon Richardson - DT

The one thing I learned over the years are that those drafts are a guess and very, very seldom are they correct after the first few picks. I still remember when every mock and every person on here were certain we would draft Kyle Wilson.

BlaZeQuietly
01-17-2013, 12:32 PM
I've been saying it ever since Ben went down, it's time to start thinking about a sucessor. I don't think we should draft a QB first this year, however I do think we should draft a RB as either our 1st or 2nd pick, we need someone there who can really make an impact and take the pressure off Ben. Otherwise oork on the 0-line, next year go for QB

ZoneBlitzer
01-17-2013, 12:43 PM
I've been saying it ever since Ben went down, it's time to start thinking about a sucessor. I don't think we should draft a QB first this year, however I do think we should draft a RB as either our 1st or 2nd pick, we need someone there who can really make an impact and take the pressure off Ben. Otherwise oork on the 0-line, next year go for QB

I agree. I've been saying it as well. My prediction is that we've got Ben for 3 more years. I believe that he'll be knocked out of the game by injury. It's too late to correct his bad habits.

tomlin_era
01-17-2013, 12:48 PM
The Qb position is by far the most important on the team. Everyone thinks Ben is going to come back next season and win the mvp award. I say bullshit. Ben is never going to be any better than he he is right now. He is on the downside of his career and will just get injured more missing games. We need a half decent Qb to fill this need, if ones out there. To play a QB that is limping because your backups stink is embarrassing and
amateurish.

BlaZeQuietly
01-17-2013, 12:53 PM
I agree. I've been saying it as well. My prediction is that we've got Ben for 3 more years. I believe that he'll be knocked out of the game by injury. It's too late to correct his bad habits.

Yeah, and I'm sick of hearing." Who else is going to play behind that 0-line and survive" newsflash Ben ISNT surviving anymore, I can name 5 QBs That would be just as good if not better than ben, regardless of our O-line.

1.Rogers
2.Brady
3.Manning
4.Breese
5.RG3
6.Caepernick
7.Horse Face Manning

Not saying I want these guys I hate half of them but they get the ball, and they get rid of the ball, all have strong arms and in general stay healthy.

Blonde Bomber
01-17-2013, 12:54 PM
It is hard to think about it, with the Mark Malone, Neil O'Donnell or even the Leftwich/Batch flashbacks playing in my head. But if we are being realistic here about how long Ben has left, I would say 3-4 years, and hope for 5-6.

Saying that we would pick a first round QB would have to be a draft leverage move at this point. I sure would like to see at least one pink slip go out to our backup QB, and some young QB's in camp that we could seriously keep on the roster and give him some snaps in practice. I mean Batch just needs to oil his knees to get in the game, he knows what he has to do, and Ben should be the mentor to a potential backup QB while he is a starter. Then work him into some 4th quarter snaps, if we ever get past our wait til the last drive mentality.

steelfury02
01-17-2013, 01:00 PM
pas de excuse por Ben

ebsteelers
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM
difference between drafting a qb early, and first round,..

qbs dont come in and sit for years and more. a qb in round 3 is early for us, a la russel wilson.

only way we take a qb in round 1 is if we trade back multiple times.

but next year, having decastro, adams, and spence healthy will be like extra rookies, add on almmama tauuu
or whatever his name is.

round 1: olb
round 2: safety
round 3: qb
round 4: rb
round 5: bpa
round 6: bpa
round 7:bpa

or maybe a BIG wide out..

ebsteelers
01-17-2013, 01:17 PM
would anybody be against tyler efiert?

a big physical te to go with heath when healthy.

would be great stuff..
look at the pats, they dont have amazing wide outs, but 2 great tight ends..

plus if heath isnt ready to go , he could be a good te for us to start.

then again we wrote of saunders quick and i thought he would be a good number 2 tight end.

friggin pope.

patterson would be a nice get at wide out also

F*ck it i want play makers .

stick off seeing the pats and rat birds in the playoffs.

while steelers are golfing

wwhickok
01-17-2013, 01:22 PM

I agree completely. In theory next seasons QB class should be considerably better.

wwhickok
01-17-2013, 01:24 PM
This is a name I hqve brought uo elsewhere though..at QB, what about Zac Dysert? From same school as Ben Miami(OH). Similar size and skill set as well.

ZoneBlitzer
01-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Yeah, and I'm sick of hearing." Who else is going to play behind that 0-line and survive" newsflash Ben ISNT surviving anymore, I can name 5 QBs That would be just as good if not better than ben, regardless of our O-line.

1.Rogers
2.Brady
3.Manning
4.Breese
5.RG3
6.Caepernick
7.Horse Face Manning

Not saying I want these guys I hate half of them but they get the ball, and they get rid of the ball, all have strong arms and in general stay healthy.

You don't need to say Manning. Horse-face will suffice. ;)

SteelersCanada
01-17-2013, 01:47 PM
How about we don't draft a QB in a very weak and watered down QB class? Band-aid the problem for another two years and then draft a QB in the first round when there's better prospects and/or we're picking higher.

wwhickok
01-17-2013, 01:47 PM

1.Rogers
2.Brady
3.Manning
4.Breese
5.RG3
6.Caepernick
7.Horse Face Manning

Is that why Bradys OL got destroyed in 2 SBs. Im not buying that arguement at all. I dont for a second believe that behind an unhealthy and inconsistent OL any of thise guys would be more successful than Ben.

StainlessStill
01-17-2013, 01:54 PM
No problem with this whatsoever. Everybody needs a little wakeup call. Ever since the Tebow bullshit, this team has lacked focus. That said, I haven't seen this team lack the depth at the linebacking position, EVER. I see us going DE/OLB tweener in Rd.1. We need a FREAK edge rusher who torment the outsides and get into the QB's comfort zone. With James on his way out in probably his last year, we're in NEED.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Landry Jones would be a good pick in round 4....

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Is that why Bradys OL got destroyed in 2 SBs. Im not buying that arguement at all. I dont for a second believe that behind an unhealthy and inconsistent OL any of thise guys would be more successful than Ben.

I laughed a little when he put Peyton and Brady on that list I guess he never seen Peyton and Brady start dancing when there under pressure smh

There's only 1 QB I would choose over Ben and thats Aaron Rogers.

Hawaii 5-0
01-17-2013, 02:41 PM
You don't need to say Manning. Horse-face will suffice. ;)

it's no coincidence that Horse-face has played for the Colts and now the Broncos...

LVSteelersfan
01-17-2013, 02:44 PM
And his boss is Horse face as well. Elway was a perfect horse face QB.

casteeler
01-17-2013, 02:53 PM
How about we don't draft a QB in a very weak and watered down QB class? Band-aid the problem for another two years and then draft a QB in the first round when there's better prospects and/or we're picking higher.

Bandaid will only work if you will are willing to live with 8-8 or 9-7 seasons. Ben is older now and the hits are taking more of an effect on his body,between his style of play and the offensive line problems he is bound to get injured and miss Atleast a couple of games. Batch needs to retire and Leftwich is NOT 2nd string material so draft a QB give him ample practice and attention so when Ben is injured the Steelers will be ready.

BlaZeQuietly
01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Eli is horse face lol. Did someone say Brady wouldn't do better than Ben behind our offensive line? Come on man. Ben is good but it's not the lines fault he holds on the ball for to long, and isn't as fast or durable as he used to be.

BlaZeQuietly
01-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Landry Jones would be a good pick in round 4....

Landry wont make it to round 4

Hawaii 5-0
01-17-2013, 03:06 PM
And his boss is Horse face as well. Elway was a perfect horse face QB.

http://thetwist03.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/john-elway-horse.jpg

steelfury02
01-17-2013, 03:21 PM
http://thetwist03.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/john-elway-horse.jpg

The horse's name is Suggs, correct?

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-17-2013, 03:25 PM
The horse's name is Suggs, correct?

Suggs has a pu$$y-mouth, not a horse-face....get it right LOL!

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Eli is horse face lol. Did someone say Brady wouldn't do better than Ben behind our offensive line? Come on man. Ben is good but it's not the lines fault he holds on the ball for to long, and isn't as fast or durable as he used to be.

Look what the NYG did against Brady in the super bowl, now think if that was behind our o-line.

steelfury02
01-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Look what the NYG did against Brady in the super bowl, now think if that was behind our o-line.

I would absolutely love to see us play NYG in next year's SB - I think we already have them figured out and are far more physical on offense when playing at a high level than the Patriot's guys.

We match up better against them than the Patriots.

steelfury02
01-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Suggs has a pu$$y-mouth, not a horse-face....get it right LOL!

if that is what you call that - I'd hate to . . . .nevermind lol.

SteelFury, later that night while dreaming. . .

"NO, NO Suggs, Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" Nightmares caused by Steeler Fever forum imagery ensues

teegre
01-17-2013, 04:23 PM
The year to draft a back-up QB was LAST draft.

I really liked Russell Wilson, although I really doubted he'd last past R3. I also liked Kirk Cousins, and then Washington took him. Lastly, I liked Ryan Lindley... who went to Arizona.

Now, Lindley will likely be cut by the Cardinals. And, I say that the Steelers grab him. Why?... you ask, after watching him play horribly as a rookie.

1) This year's crop of QBs is not very good... even for back-ups.

2) Lindley was a rookie, playing behind the worst O-line in the NFL... against the strong defenses in the NFC West. That woudl make ANY QB look bad.

3) Lindley is a BB clone, only not nearly as good... which is the perfect thing for a back-up. He plays the same style as BB, has the same body-type, and has a powerful arm... a "poor man's" version of BB.

IF a QB is taken in this draft, I like Nassib (although, I had him going in late R2... but, there is talk of him going as early as 8th overall). In the later rounds, I like Alex Carder. Zac Dysert is also another option... and that's about it (unless the Steelers use a pick in R1 or R2).

Thus, in summation, sign Lindley, and draft a QB next year.

TRH
01-17-2013, 04:28 PM

Actually - i got sick and tired of seeing opposing QB's drop back - sit down and eat lunch - then phone home to check on the wife - then decide to throw when they were ready.............while Ben was literally being mauled in 1 and a half seconds. He didn't even have a CHANCE to hold on to the ball this year - or last year.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-17-2013, 04:30 PM
if that is what you call that - I'd hate to . . . .nevermind lol.

SteelFury, later that night while dreaming. . .

"NO, NO Suggs, Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" Nightmares caused by Steeler Fever forum imagery ensues

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

steelfury02
01-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Actually - i got sick and tired of seeing opposing QB's drop back - sit down and eat lunch - then phone home to check on the wife - then decide to throw when they were ready.............while Ben was literally being mauled in 1 and a half seconds. He didn't even have a CHANCE to hold on to the ball this year - or last year.

that "- or last year" part is what is really frustrating - this is becoming a norm instead of an instance here or there - WTF!!!!!?????

fer522
01-17-2013, 05:42 PM
The year to draft a back-up QB was LAST draft.

I really liked Russell Wilson, although I really doubted he'd last past R3. I also liked Kirk Cousins, and then Washington took him. Lastly, I liked Ryan Lindley... who went to Arizona.

Now, Lindley will likely be cut by the Cardinals. And, I say that the Steelers grab him. Why?... you ask, after watching him play horribly as a rookie.

1) This year's crop of QBs is not very good... even for back-ups.

2) Lindley was a rookie, playing behind the worst O-line in the NFL... against the strong defenses in the NFC West. That woudl make ANY QB look bad.

3) Lindley is a BB clone, only not nearly as good... which is the perfect thing for a back-up. He plays the same style as BB, has the same body-type, and has a powerful arm... a "poor man's" version of BB.

IF a QB is taken in this draft, I like Nassib (although, I had him going in late R2... but, there is talk of him going as early as 8th overall). In the later rounds, I like Alex Carder. Zac Dysert is also another option... and that's about it (unless the Steelers use a pick in R1 or R2).

Thus, in summation, sign Lindley, and draft a QB next year.

If Wilson from Arkansas is avalaible in the R2 I'd take him in a heart beat he kinda had a bad year last year but that was thanks to coach Patrino for fucking his assistant and getting fired just before the season started

FrancoLambert
01-17-2013, 06:15 PM
I love everything Colbert has put out there since the end of the season.
At 8-8 can't be business as usual. At 8-8 go BPA every round, surely there are enough weak spots and holes to fill.

teegre
01-17-2013, 06:53 PM
If Wilson from Arkansas is avalaible in the R2 I'd take him in a heart beat he kinda had a bad year last year but that was thanks to coach Patrino for fucking his assistant and getting fired just before the season started

No doubt... but, he'll go top 20. All fo these guys I'd take in R2... if they dropped. They are good R2 picks (do nto get me wrong)... and in other years, they would indeed be R2 picks. This year, since the QB crop is weak, they will go R1.

Make sense?

Geno Smith
Tyler Wilson
Mike Glennon
Matt Barkley
Ryan Nassib

SteelersCanada
01-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Taking a QB in this class is a waste of a pick. If we wanted one, we should've taken someone like Cousins in the third / fourth round last year. The only quarterback worth anything coming out of college this year is Geno Smith.

teegre
01-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Taking a QB in this class is a waste of a pick. If we wanted one, we should've taken someone like Cousins in the third / fourth round last year. The only quarterback worth anything coming out of college this year is Geno Smith.

We think alike... once again.

As I stated elsewhere: Cousins, I thought that we were goign to get; I wanted Wilson; and thought that Lindley was a good fit.

casteeler
01-17-2013, 07:48 PM

So what should the Steelers do?Wait till Ben gets hurt next season then give Leftwich the reins and watch him drive the team into the ground? I don't get how drafting a QB is a waste, seems that we could get the SS or the ILB we draft in the 1st round to play QB when Ben goes down

kan_t
01-17-2013, 08:58 PM
So what should the Steelers do?Wait till Ben gets hurt next season then give Leftwich the reins and watch him drive the team into the ground? I don't get how drafting a QB is a waste, seems that we could get the SS or the ILB we draft in the 1st round to play QB when Ben goes down

Drafting a QB is a waste when there isn't any good one for you to draft.

casteeler
01-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Drafting a QB is a waste when there isn't any good one for you to draft.

I think the Steelers will get it right, they know they need a QB and they will get one

zcoop
01-17-2013, 09:50 PM
We need a serviceable backup on the cheap. Batch and Leftwich ain't gonna be adequate. One or both of them has to go.

harrison'samonster
01-17-2013, 09:53 PM
We need a serviceable backup on the cheap. Batch and Leftwich ain't gonna be adequate. One or both of them has to go.

I agree. I would prefer to keep Batch, because Lefty just can't stay healthy.

kan_t
01-17-2013, 10:08 PM
I think the Steelers will get it right, they know they need a QB and they will get one
Doesn't mean that it must be from this year draft.

DanRooney
01-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Tomlin's more of a problem than Ben. Ben isn't even a problem. Some of you guys have no clue.

cowherpower
01-17-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm not surprised KC is thinking like this. It was pretty obvious they weren't happy with Ben's play and attitude and brought in a no nonsense, non friend in Haley who would hold him accountable. I had a feeling that once Ben started to revert to his old ways after he returned from his injury that a rift would develop and low and behold we see it now. Ben better get on board with Haley or this may be his last year here. Seems like Haley was just trying toget Ben to make quicker decisions, have a quicker release, and be more cerebral. Too bad Ben is not the brighest bulb in the sky and not equipped to play that way. Not a knock, Peyton can't run the option, doesn't make him bad, well, Ben can't read defenses and make anticipation type throws. It's why he always needs to hold on to the ball for so long and thrives once plays break down and he can then revert to his inate athletic ability and sometimes make magic happen. I truly believe Ben can stand to study a little more and be better prepared. Until then he will struggle under Haley unless he buys into it 100%.

NSMaster56
01-17-2013, 11:07 PM
While this is not the weakest attempt at 'counter intelligence' ever, it's in the top 10%.

casteeler
01-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Doesn't mean that it must be from this year draft.

As posted before the Steelers missed the boat last year when passing on Cousins a couple of times,ultimately the Steelers orginization will do what is best for the team(as they have done year after year) and Colbert said it best, it's silly to think the team will get better without changes.This might not be the best year to draft a QB but look at the way the Vikings fell apart when Joe Webb had to step in for Christian Ponder and the Steelers are currently in the same situation. First off any backup worth a sh*% currently in the NFL will demand big money(something the Steelers cannot afford).Secondly Batch most likley will retire and Leftwich needs to be coaching High School football not skipping passes into Recievers at Heinz field. So that leaves the draft,if the Steelers can make a trade(to move up)and pick up a desirable QB what's wrong with that? The fact is Ben will not be around 10-12 years due to injury and the Steelers orginization sees that so they must look foward and face the fact that the Steelers can survive with a mediocre backup LB but not a mediocre backup QB

kan_t
01-18-2013, 06:01 AM
As posted before the Steelers missed the boat last year when passing on Cousins a couple of times,ultimately the Steelers orginization will do what is best for the team(as they have done year after year) and Colbert said it best, it's silly to think the team will get better without changes.This might not be the best year to draft a QB but look at the way the Vikings fell apart when Joe Webb had to step in for Christian Ponder and the Steelers are currently in the same situation. First off any backup worth a sh*% currently in the NFL will demand big money(something the Steelers cannot afford).Secondly Batch most likley will retire and Leftwich needs to be coaching High School football not skipping passes into Recievers at Heinz field. So that leaves the draft,if the Steelers can make a trade(to move up)and pick up a desirable QB what's wrong with that? The fact is Ben will not be around 10-12 years due to injury and the Steelers orginization sees that so they must look foward and face the fact that the Steelers can survive with a mediocre backup LB but not a mediocre backup QB

Joe Webb is also drafted by the Vikings. Again, if it's weak class of QB, the Steelers might likely just pick another Joe Webb. When only mediocre backup QBs available in the draft, picking one of them will not help the situation.

teegre
01-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Joe Webb is also drafted by the Vikings. Again, if it's weak class of QB, the Steelers might likely just pick another Joe Webb. When only mediocre backup QBs available in the draft, picking one of them will not help the situation.

Like I mentioned, LAST year was the year to draft a very good back-up QB. This year, though, one can still get a back-up... just not a very good back-up.

Also, like I mentioned, these "R1" QBs would all have been R2 QBs last draft. But, if they don't go in R1, and are available in R2, they would still be decent (but not good) back-ups.

In my opinion, there are too many good defensive players available in R2 to go for a "decent" back-up. I'd prefer signing a free-agent (Ryan Lindley), and seeing who's available next draft. That said, I'd use a R7 pick on Alex Carder. Him & a free agent, while not great, would probably be an upgrade over Byron & Batch.

steelfury02
01-18-2013, 09:24 AM
as much as I've been Ben bashing - I think he is capable of making quick decisions and releasing quickly. He has shown that he understands going through progressions and making some smart decisions and efficiently moving the chains.

Their performance against the Giants was undeniably Super Bowl quality type play - as it was the year before in a big win against the Patriots. Ben can become a QB that kills with efficiency just as much as extending the play. His willingness to do so? It isn't there right now - and that is where he must get better - this will be the difference in taking the next step in reading defenses and checking into more appropriate audibles. One of his weapons outside of Heath must become a leader and take more pressure off Ben for this to work though - he can't do it all on his own - and especially when health is also of concern - we have to keep Heath active in the passing game - this means not having to stay in and play as an extension of the O-line.

We need someone consistently productive - not take the league by storm great, but consistently moves the ball forward enough for teams to respect that it could keep happening to them. We need decisiveness at this position.

At the WR spot, we need a group of guys with sure hands above all else. Speed comes after you catch the ball. Worry about your job and moving the chains. It isn't called "RECEIVER" for nothing. If we valued speed over possessing, it would simply be called Wide Speedster. Decisiveness, Possession, and commitment to getting back to the basics can fix this. Some of this is in the attitudes of the complacent and those undeserving of wearing a Steelers uniform. I think some of those attitudes will be gone and we can get a fresh, nothing-to-lose start.

ebsteelers
01-18-2013, 12:28 PM
to the people saying draft cousins last year.

not one person was on here, saying that at the time.

if we would of taken cousins in round 3 you guys would of shyt

earliest we take one this year is maybe round 3 or 4 again.

clearly we have other needs first, rather than a back up qb.

maybe a wide out, or tight end,

a safety, Someone who can block, maybe someone who can rush the passer?

hopefully adams and decastro and pouncey stay healthy.

same with gilbert...

could have a good base if those 4 manage to stay healthy.

from there getting sean spence this year will help, it'll be like an extra rookie pick,

maybe grab jordan or safety in round 1.

its all comes down to being healthy, until that happens, we wont be going anywhere

tomlin_era
01-18-2013, 12:49 PM

What, did he use a different OL to get to those two super bowls?

tomlin_era
01-18-2013, 12:59 PM
as much as I've been Ben bashing - I think he is capable of making quick decisions and releasing quickly. He has shown that he understands going through progressions and making some smart decisions and efficiently moving the chains.

Their performance against the Giants was undeniably Super Bowl quality type play - as it was the year before in a big win against the Patriots. Ben can become a QB that kills with efficiency just as much as extending the play. His willingness to do so? It isn't there right now - and that is where he must get better - this will be the difference in taking the next step in reading defenses and checking into more appropriate audibles. One of his weapons outside of Heath must become a leader and take more pressure off Ben for this to work though - he can't do it all on his own - and especially when health is also of concern - we have to keep Heath active in the passing game - this means not having to stay in and play as an extension of the O-line.

We need someone consistently productive - not take the league by storm great, but consistently moves the ball forward enough for teams to respect that it could keep happening to them. We need decisiveness at this position.

At the WR spot, we need a group of guys with sure hands above all else. Speed comes after you catch the ball. Worry about your job and moving the chains. It isn't called "RECEIVER" for nothing. If we valued speed over possessing, it would simply be called Wide Speedster. Decisiveness, Possession, and commitment to getting back to the basics can fix this. Some of this is in the attitudes of the complacent and those undeserving of wearing a Steelers uniform. I think some of those attitudes will be gone and we can get a fresh, nothing-to-lose start.

You just described being consistent. This is Ben's whole problem. This is why he will never be "elite"

steelfury02
01-18-2013, 01:07 PM
You just described being consistent. This is Ben's whole problem. This is why he will never be "elite"

and as I reread you quoting me, I realize we might not have Heath for a while which makes things even dicier and more critical that Ben step up his game

zcoop
01-18-2013, 07:06 PM

Vikes are getting exactly what they deserve. They had a couple of prospects a few years ago but they choose to gambled on Farve. They've been drafting QBs but not developing them. Webb was a sixth roung pick so I didn't expect much from him anyway.

I think we can find a servicable young QB in round two or three this year.

ZoneBlitzer
01-18-2013, 08:05 PM
If they do draft a QB, I'd like to see Tomlin left out out of the decision making process.

He has poor discernment for the position. ie: Dennis "Twiggy" Dixon

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-18-2013, 08:15 PM

Well stated, dude.