PDA

View Full Version : Arians Offered Cardinals Job

SteelersCanada
01-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Well, it looks like we're keeping Todd Haley.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Bruce Arians has accepted four-year deal, with a team option for a fifth year, as head coach with Arizona Cardinals.

Ian Rapoport @Rapsheet

The #Cardinals have offered their head coaching job to Bruce Arians, I'm told. He is expected to accept.

#Cardinals met with Bruce Arians today. He left with a great feeling. He was rewarded with an offer. Source says he'll be the team's HC.

The final details of the contract for Bruce Arians and #Cardinals are being worked out. Not talking money, I'm told. So it's almost done.

Bruce Arians offered Arizona Cardinals coaching job

Ian Rapoport
Published: Jan. 17, 2013 at 08:16 p.m.

The Arizona Cardinals have offered Indianapolis Colts offensive coordintor Bruce Arians their head-coaching job, and he's expected to accept, a source informed of the team's plans told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport.

The Cardinals met with Arians on Wednesday and Thursday. He was one of several candidates to replace former coach Ken Whisenhunt.

Arians took over the Colts' head-coaching duties this season on an interim basis after head coach Chuck Pagano took a leave from the team while receiving treatment for leukemia.

Blacksburg Zach
01-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Pittsburgh West strikes again, it seems.

harrison'samonster
01-17-2013, 08:56 PM

:chuckle:they must be huge fans of the Steeles in Arizona

BrandonCarr39
01-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Now he needs a QB.

torpedoshell31
01-17-2013, 09:06 PM
They originally wanted Haley, but his asking price was way too steep for the Cards as reported on the NFL Network.

wyn50
01-17-2013, 09:25 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/report-cardinals-hire-arians-as-head-coach-haley-to-remain-steelers-offensive-coordinator/

more steelers player poaching....:chuckle:

Fire Arians
01-17-2013, 09:27 PM
LOL oh man. if he can somehow turn around that trainwreck in arizona i'll give him some credit

stb_steeler
01-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Good luck with that.....:chuckle:

Steel Peon
01-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Now he needs a QB.

Alex Smith is starting to look available.

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2013, 09:48 PM
This was Bruce when he was seeking the Bears job

"I have a great job. I love it here so much,'' Arians said. "I've never been treated with more respect in my career than I have here, so it would be hard to leave.

"It's going to have to be a perfect fit for me to leave, but you always want to win one of those Super Bowls on your own.''

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/01/09/colts-bruce-arians-out-of-hospital-bears-interview/1822319/

There are lots of terms to describe the current Cardinals situation, but "perfect fit" is not one of them

Good luck BA - you are going to need it

pittpete
01-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Arizona's first this year and next year for Ben to be reunited with his BFF...
Would you do it?
Discuss please.

StainlessStill
01-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Arrisburgh Stardinals.

Darkstorm05
01-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Would you do it?
Discuss please.

Only if we could get our hands on a solid QB to hold us over. No player in the 2nd half of their career that I wouldn't take a high first round pick for if the draft class looked good that year. This year, though, no QB's coming up that would replace Ben, so not a good deal.

Penn
01-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Would you do it?
Discuss please.

No

Im amazed at how many fans want to dump Ben

you guys are nuts

zcoop
01-17-2013, 10:43 PM
No

you guys are nuts

You don't have to worry, Ben ain't going no where anytime soon.

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2013, 10:47 PM
The Cardinals have hired Bruce Arians as their new head coach, and the in-house candidate who was passed over for Arians isn’t happy about it.

Ray Horton, the Cardinals defensive coordinator who did an excellent job in 2012 while the Cardinals’ offense fell apart, was considered a strong candidate to replace the fired Ken Whisenhunt as the next head coach. Instead, the Cardinals have announced that Arians, who spent last season as the Colts’ offensive coordinator and interim head coach, will get the job. Multiple reports say Horton was angry at that announcement.

Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910 reports that Horton had a heated exchange with new Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim when he found out that Arians got the job. Mike Garafolo of USA Today reports that Horton is “pissed.”:chuckle:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/ray-horton-angry-after-cardinals-hire-bruce-arians/

And Horton will not have to hang around Arizona to be angry - BA swings the ax

Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports reports that Horton is out as the Arizona defensive coordinator. Per Silver, he’ll be replaced by former Eagles defensive coordinator Todd Bowles on Bruce Arians’ staff.

Bowles was elevated to the position in Philly after Juan Castillo was fired. The Eagles went 1-9 with Bowles in the job, with the Eagles giving up on average 31.9 points per game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/report-horton-out-bowles-in-as-cardinals-defensive-coordinator/

Good call Bruce - that sounds like a real upgrade

defence
01-17-2013, 10:48 PM
All I know is now we are stuck with Haley!! Damn Cardinals!!

ZoneBlitzer
01-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Big mistake by Arians, huge.

They don't have a QB there at all. Plus he was doing well developing Luck.

I just don't get it. Here he was part of this emotional ride of a lifetime and now he's bailing on it to coach a perennial loser.

He could've been a part of something pretty big by working with a talent like Luck.

TRH
01-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Good luck to Arians. I was pulling for him to snag a HC job.

Look for Arizona to maybe make a run for Matt Flynn or Alex Smith through trades of some sort. Both of those guys want out of their current teams/cities ASAP.

pittpete
01-17-2013, 11:06 PM
No

you guys are nuts

Did I say I would dump Ben?

NSMaster56
01-17-2013, 11:06 PM

This.

Nike might as well prep designs for Shard Mendenhall, James Harrison, Polamalu and Roethlisberger Cards jerseys.

Hawaii 5-0
01-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Arrisburgh Stardinals.

Pittsburgh West...

Fire Arians
01-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Big mistake by Arians, huge.

They don't have a QB there at all. Plus he was doing well developing Luck.

I just don't get it. Here he was part of this emotional ride of a lifetime and now he's bailing on it to coach a perennial loser.

He could've been a part of something pretty big by working with a talent like Luck.

he knows he's lucky (no pun intended), why not take the big payday and laugh all the way to the bank before you're exposed as a fraud lol

Blacksburg Zach
01-18-2013, 12:19 AM
The Cardinals have hired Bruce Arians as their new head coach, and the in-house candidate who was passed over for Arians isn’t happy about it.

Ray Horton, the Cardinals defensive coordinator who did an excellent job in 2012 while the Cardinals’ offense fell apart, was considered a strong candidate to replace the fired Ken Whisenhunt as the next head coach. Instead, the Cardinals have announced that Arians, who spent last season as the Colts’ offensive coordinator and interim head coach, will get the job. Multiple reports say Horton was angry at that announcement.

Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910 reports that Horton had a heated exchange with new Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim when he found out that Arians got the job. Mike Garafolo of USA Today reports that Horton is “pissed.”:chuckle:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/ray-horton-angry-after-cardinals-hire-bruce-arians/

And Horton will not have to hang around Arizona to be angry - BA swings the ax

Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports reports that Horton is out as the Arizona defensive coordinator. Per Silver, he’ll be replaced by former Eagles defensive coordinator Todd Bowles on Bruce Arians’ staff.

Bowles was elevated to the position in Philly after Juan Castillo was fired. The Eagles went 1-9 with Bowles in the job, with the Eagles giving up on average 31.9 points per game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/report-horton-out-bowles-in-as-cardinals-defensive-coordinator/

Good call Bruce - that sounds like a real upgrade

Wow, as soon as BA gets the job, he axes the only competent coach on the team, and he replaces said coach with a guy who just recently coordinated a defense that not
only allowed 31.9 ppg, but a defense that was even more inept at forcing turnovers than the Steelers this year. Way to go, BA. Ax the coordinator whose defense was the only reason the Cardinals won any games at all, and replace him with a guy who just finished coaching a historically inept defense. I'm sure that will really move the franchise in the right direction.:doh:

ZoneBlitzer
01-18-2013, 12:48 AM
Good luck to Arians. I was pulling for him to snag a HC job.

Look for Arizona to maybe make a run for Matt Flynn or Alex Smith through trades of some sort. Both of those guys want out of their current teams/cities ASAP.

I don't know. Apparently they're trying to get the most out their investment in Kolb.

OliverPoop
01-18-2013, 12:55 AM
Ray Horton apparently hasn't figured out he was just a token interview to satisfy the Rooney rule. Just like Omar Khan.

Hawaii 5-0
01-18-2013, 01:51 AM
Ray Horton apparently hasn't figured out he was just a token interview to satisfy the Rooney rule. Just like Omar Khan.

Ray Horton angry after Cardinals hire Bruce Arians

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 17, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/350x3.jpg?w=250

Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910 reports that Horton had a heated exchange with new Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim when he found out that Arians got the job. Mike Garafolo of USA Today reports that Horton is “pissed.”

It’s hard to blame Horton for feeling that way. He’s a well regarded defensive coordinator who paid his dues as an assistant and before that as an NFL player for 10 years. In any line of work, to be passed over for a promotion you think you have coming stings.

Horton still has a year on his contract with the Cardinals, but Arians isn’t believed to want him to stay, and it sure doesn’t sound like Horton wants to stay. So Horton will presumably start looking for another job as an assistant, somewhere, after thinking he had a good chance of staying in Arizona and becoming the Cardinals’ next head coach.

SteelersCanada
01-18-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm excited to see how he does when he has Kevin Kolb as his starting Quarterback. Oh, and when they're picking top 3 again next year, we can lay off his balls for his work with the Colts.

Fire Haley
01-18-2013, 11:38 AM
I guess we know where Wallace and Mendy are headed

BrandonCarr39
01-18-2013, 12:11 PM
I guess some teams were set up to fail - Arizona only had a couple of decent seasons in their history(where it looked like they turned the corner one minute), and that was it.

Atlanta Dan
01-18-2013, 12:23 PM
I guess some teams were set up to fail - Arizona only had a couple of decent seasons in their history(where it looked like they turned the corner one minute), and that was it.

Ownership matters and the Bidwells have been clowns for decades

tony hipchest
01-18-2013, 12:32 PM
after watching ken wiz get the cardinals to the SB and nearly win, i am convinced he could teach hellen keller to communicate.

unfortunately he wont be able to teach bruce arians how to communicate.

Fire Arians
01-18-2013, 12:54 PM
i thought whiz was a good coach, this move won't help the cardinals any. they just need a franchise qb and they'd be pretty good, hell, whiz did get them to a super bowl when he had warner.

GMU Steeler
01-18-2013, 01:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card-Pitt
I guess this is why the Cardinals FO keep on getting former Steelers. Joking aside, I totally expect one of Mendenhall or Wallace to end up in AZ now. I wish Arians well but he's better off as a coordinator and frankly some would say even that;s generous than as a head coach.

truesteelerfan
01-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Does anybody believe he will make it out of Arizona without being fired???

The Arizona Cardinals have filled the NFL's final head coaching vacancy by hiring Indianapolis offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

The team confirmed the hiring in a release Thursday night, saying Arians received a four-year contract with a club option for a fifth year.

The 60-year-old longtime assistant went 9-3 as Colts interim head coach while Chuck Pagano was undergoing treatment for leukemia last season.

Arians arrived in Arizona on Wednesday night, had dinner with top team officials, then interviewed on Thursday and met with reporters to indicate his interest in the job.

He was offered and accepted the job Thursday night. Arians also was a finalist for the Chicago job that went to Marc Trestman.

Whisenhunt was introduced on Thursday as the offensive coordinator for new head coach Mike McCoy in San Diego.

The Cardinals said Arians would be introduced as coach at a 3 p.m., EST (1 p.m. local time) news conference on Friday.

CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reports that Arians is exploring options for a new defensive coordinator, and, according to league sources, is high of Eagles coordinator Todd Bowles.

The team posted a photo of Arians getting a congratulatory call from Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who is vacationing in Belize and undoubtedly will welcome anyone who can do something to revive a dreadful offense.

In his meeting with reporters earlier Thursday, before he was hired, Arians said his stint as Pagano's replacement "answered all questions I ever had" about whether he could succeed as an NFL coach.

"I hope it answered all the questions everybody else has had for all these years," he said.

It apparently did for the Cardinals, who lost 10 of 11 this season to finish 5-11 for the second time in three years.

Arians said there are young coaches for teams still in the playoffs that will be denied a chance to be a head coach now because of their teams' success.

"Maybe I was a victim of that a couple of times," he said. "Hey, I'll take the Super Bowl ring and look back later. You can't worry about why you never got one or why have you got one this time. I'm just happy it happened, and I look forward to seeing what's made of it and what turns out."

Arians has been a football coach since his days as a graduate assistant at Virginia Tech in 1975 and he has 20 years of experience as an NFL assistant. He also was head coach at Temple for five seasons.

Wearing a Super Bowl ring from his days in Pittsburgh prominently on his right hand, he said his stint as head coach in Indy taught him that being a head coach is "not as hard as it's supposed to be."

"It's really not," Arians said. "I think it's all about building relationships. Coaching is all about relationships. As long as it's built on trust, loyalty, and respect, anything is possible."

When the Jacksonville Jaguars hired Seattle defensive coordinator Gus Bradley on Thursday, Arizona's job was the only one still open.

Arians was wide receivers coach in Pittsburgh and he succeeded Whisenhunt as offensive coordinator there. He was Steelers offensive coordinator when Pittsburgh beat Whisenhunt's Cardinals in the 2009 Super Bowl. Arians left the Steelers to become Pagano's offensive coordinator last year, taking over as interim coach when Pagano left for treatment for leukemia.

"It has been an unbelievable 12 months for me personally," Arians said.

McCoy was among those interviewed by Cardinals President Michael Bidwill. Other known Arizona candidates were Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton, Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley and Cincinnati offensive coordinator Jay Gruden.

Horton has a year left on his contract and his future with the organization was in question.

Asked Thursday afternoon if he would keep Horton as defensive coordinator if he got the Arizona job, Arians declined to discuss the prospect.

"Right now it's way too early in the process," Arians said. "Obviously, I know Ray. I've got a history with Ray. But all those things would be way down the road. Guys are under contract. You can't really comment on staff members at this point in time."

Horton was defensive backs coach with the Steelers when Arians was offensive coordinator there.

The Cardinals had the worst offense in the NFL, and Arians downplayed any similarities to his offensive scheme and the one used by Whisenhunt. He said that after Whisenhunt left the Steelers for Arizona, he and Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sat down and simplified the playbook.

Arians said his offense has some similarities, but many differences from the one implemented by Whisenhunt.

Arians emphasized the importance of building a close relationship with the quarterback.

"As a head coach or an offensive coordinator, you're tied to that guy," Arians said. "Your future is him. You better realize that, and you better have a heck of a strong relationship so that when it's really tough in the game, he's telling you what he's seeing, not what he thinks you might want to hear."

Quarterback is a major problem for Arizona. The only one of the four who got a start in the Cardinals' 5-11 season that had any success was Kevin Kolb, and he went down with a rib injury in Week 6 and never returned.

Arians said the Cardinals must either improve what they have at the position or find a new one behind what he called "Door No. 2."

He said he would call the plays as head coach "until I can find someone who is going to do it better than me. I haven't found him yet."

He said he would not leave Indianapolis for just any head coaching job.

"I said early when some teams contacted my agent about setting up interviews," he said, "I'm going to have a heck of a feeling about that organization, owner, general manager, team, to leave where I am right now."

Did he have that feeling with Arizona?

"Yes," he said. "I do."

Vis
01-18-2013, 03:43 PM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95963

Pages on that topic found here

truesteelerfan
01-18-2013, 03:47 PM
oops - Mods, sorry, please delete or merge.

austinfrench76
01-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Good for us! Now there are only 31 teams that we need to be concerned about in the NFL. Arians=FAIL!

Blackout
01-18-2013, 04:18 PM
"It's really not," Arians said. "I think it's all about building relationships. Coaching is all about relationships. As long as it's built on trust, loyalty, and respect, anything is possible."

Good quote, eventhough I may never have liked BA as our OC.

Also what was the other interview where he was glad he finally was getting respect or it was nice having it? I'm sure before he got fired he got "disrespected" by the Rooneys after his offensive performance on the Steelers and prior to that.

wwhickok
01-18-2013, 04:21 PM
I think Alex Smith has a great shot to land in Arizona. I think Arians was a very good hire.

teegre
01-18-2013, 04:35 PM
As I said in that other Arians thread:

Let the "BB to Arizona for Larry Fitzgerald & the 7th overall pick" rumors commence.

Fire Haley
01-18-2013, 05:35 PM
shit

that was my plan to dump Mr Dink&Dunk

Fire Arians
01-18-2013, 05:46 PM
we got a qb that likes to party, it's the drink and drunk offense

truesteelerfan
01-18-2013, 06:48 PM

Good quote, eventhough I may never have liked BA as our OC.

Also what was the other interview where he was glad he finally was getting respect or it was nice having it? I'm sure before he got fired he got "disrespected" by the Rooneys after his offensive performance on the Steelers and prior to that.

I don't get this quote as being accurate - I could get B.A. to trust me - I have more loyalty to the Steelers than many players after being a fan for 30+years, so got that covered, I would respect B.A. if he's my boss - but it still won't work out as I'm a 40 year old dude with a old arms, slow legs, and would only be a tiny roadblock for most DL in the league - all heart but no chance - So anything is almost possible - but not always. Guess it's Friday.
:banging:

Kingmagyar
01-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Well Bruce is now a head coach. If your a Steeler offensive player what would you be thinking of the front office about now?

Let's break it down.

Your a player who is flourishing under Arians. Mike Wallace had amassed over 2,400 yards under him with 18 TDs the last two years and Antonio Brown has a career year with over 1,100. Ben throws for over 4,000 yards and Mendenhall averages 4.1 yards a carry and 9 TDs. Reman is averaging 4.7 per carry. The offense is 12th in the league.

You hear from the top that Arians is retiring. Then you hear that is not true he has been fired. So you already have been lied to.

Next he in instantly hired by a very good organization to be the OC. Then you see him promoted to Head Coach and flourish.

Now he gets an actual Head Coaching position.

Would you trust in your leadership?

I'm not a big BA fan. I think his biggest problem here was stubborness and arrogance. All he had to do was get better in the red zone which he failed to do. He also needed to develop Ben better in reading defenses.

After a playbook show about the Steelers loss in the Super Bowl to Green Bay I realized that Arians had the game plan in place to win that game and on at least 5 occasions Ben made the wrong read and the wrong throw. And we're talking about easy reads here.

I actually think BA will fail in Arizona, but right now he is riding high and having a good laugh and making the Steelers' front office look a little inept not just to the public but maybe to the actual players themselves.

harrison'samonster
01-18-2013, 07:37 PM
this reminds me very much of the Harbaugh Jealousy thread. Coaches come and go, and when they first get their head coaching job it seems like they've sky-rocketed to the top. Everybody who said they wouldn't be successful is wrong because somebody was willing to give them a job.

When Arians puts together several winning seasons and at least makes it deep into the playoffs a few times, I'll be impressed.

Until then, I'm happy to see him get a chance, and regardless of his record I'm glad he's no longer the offensive coach here in Pittsburgh.

Atlanta Dan
01-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Arians has emphasized the importance of building a close working relationship with his quarterback, a group that for him included a young Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger ("my other son," Arians said) and last year Andrew Luck.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8858160/bruce-arians-introduced-coach-arizona-cardinals

:banging:

pittpete
01-19-2013, 12:17 AM
This just in, looks like Arians has been let go already in Arizona.
www.BAsucksevendownsouth.com

Atlanta Dan
01-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Arians explains why he canned Ray Horton

Horton's defense and Kevin Spencer's special teams were the Cardinals' only functioning parts the past two seasons.

Yet, during the interview process, Arians told the Cardinals he wanted to replace Horton with Bowles, whom he coached at Temple.

That deal should be done quickly, and the Cardinals will start tinkering with something that's not broken.

That might show more guts than wisdom, but team president Michael Bidwill and general manager Steve Keim were open to letting Horton go with one year left on his contract.

"Anytime you hire a new head coach, you want to give him a chance to succeed," Keim said. "If he thinks his best opportunity is by making changes on his coaching staff, I think you have to support him."

Arians called Bowles a great coach, yet the Eagles defense played worse after Bowles replaced Juan Castillo as coordinator at midseason.

In fairness to Bowles, the Eagles had more problems than a coaching change could solve. And keeping Horton was not an option for Arians.

"I've got all the respect in the world for Ray Horton," Arians said. "We were together in Pittsburgh. He's done a great job here. It just needed to be a football team directed by me. And anytime there is carryover, we don't want that as (players) being able to go somewhere else to voice an opinion.

"I didn't want to put Ray in that situation. It's not fair to him."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/01/18/arizona-cardinals-coaching-search-bruce-arians-ray-horton/1846795/

So the only "fair" option for Horton was for BA to fire him:noidea:

Fortunately Tomlin did not feel it was necessary to force LeBeau out when Tomlin was hired in order that the defense would not be able to "go somewhere else to voice an opinion."

wwhickok
01-19-2013, 09:51 AM
BA was a very good hire but I don't agree with him on firing Horton. Especially when the replacement is Bowles.

Steel Peon
01-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Wow, as soon as BA gets the job, he axes the only competent coach on the team, and he replaces said coach with a guy who just recently coordinated a defense that not
only allowed 31.9 ppg, but a defense that was even more inept at forcing turnovers than the Steelers this year. Way to go, BA. Ax the coordinator whose defense was the only reason the Cardinals won any games at all, and replace him with a guy who just finished coaching a historically inept defense. I'm sure that will really move the franchise in the right direction.:doh:

Wow, that Bruce Arians must know all the best hookers, or something.........who knows?

lloydwoodson
01-23-2013, 01:37 AM
I don't think Bruce Arians is a stupid man at all. I think he is arrogant and overconfident and those characteristics extended themselves to his offense. I think a large part of the entitlement and complacency on the Steelers stems from the offensive side of the ball.

Firing Ray Horton was absolutely necessary and a smart move. You do not want a disgruntled employee on your staff. Horton was reportedly livid about not being hired as head coach- you can't have that attitude on a team.

The problem isn't firing Horton it is hiring the 31st ranked defense's coordinator, Todd Bowles. Bowles took over for Juan Castillo in mid-October so I don't know how much he is responsible for the Eagles failure. The Eagles did go from 10th in scoring defense to 29th in scoring defense between 2011 and 2012 though.

http://i49.tinypic.com/1ya3rn.jpg http://i49.tinypic.com/1j6ruv.jpg

Did Horton really think he was going to be the face of the Cardinals franchise when he looks like a Kenny Powers impersonator though?

lloydwoodson
01-23-2013, 01:44 AM
OK I did the math. The Eagles allowed 20.8 ppg before the bye week and after 6 games with Castillo as DC, and they allowed 31.9 ppg after the bye week under Bowles.

Good hire, Bruce.