PDA

View Full Version : New member/RB option

Burlybulldog
01-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Hello All. New to posting but have been reading the forum for over a year now. I enjoy the opinions and Steeler news. With the running game somewhat depleted after Rainey 's off field troubles and the doubtful return of Mendenhall, I thought a good option could be Chris Ivory in Free agency. Tough runner who has excelled when given the chance and should not command a lot of money. A younger option could then be had later in the draft and maybe we are not forced to reach in an earlier round as there are many holes to fill. I prefer to go D early in the draft.

harrison'samonster
01-19-2013, 07:23 PM
hey welcome to the board! I don't watch a lot of the Saints, so I've never seen Ivory play. His numbers look pretty good though. He looks like somebody who could be an every down back for us.

DevinX43
01-19-2013, 07:29 PM
I live in the NO area and see a lot of Saints football. Ivory is a tough, hard nosed runner. He's buried on the depth chart, but it's not due to a lack of skill. He'd be a great option.

Twentyvalve
01-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Welcome. I think Mendy comes back.

Hello All. New to posting but have been reading the forum for over a year now. I enjoy the opinions and Steeler news. With the running game somewhat depleted after Rainey 's off field troubles and the doubtful return of Mendenhall, I thought a good option could be Chris Ivory in Free agency. Tough runner who has excelled when given the chance and should not command a lot of money. A younger option could then be had later in the draft and maybe we are not forced to reach in an earlier round as there are many holes to fill. I prefer to go D early in the draft.

SteelersCanada
01-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Welcome to the board!

I think Ivory would be a great complementary back and band-aid solution for this year, but I think we have to find a franchise guy in the next year, two at most. So, you're looking at a second / third round pick in this year or next years draft for the long term answer for this team. I wouldn't be against Ivory coming in, though, assuming the price is right.

Hawaii 5-0
01-19-2013, 10:00 PM
great first post, welcome to Steelers Fever! :drink:

Burlybulldog
01-19-2013, 10:06 PM
I agree that we need a "franchise back" but not sure if there is one in this year's draft. With the cap being a problem, I was looking for that under the radar type back that is low cost, has high potential, and is not on the police blotter every weekend. Ivory is restricted but has never been given a quality shot to start.....he needs a fresh start in the Burgh! Mendy coming back would be a surprise considering his track record...but stranger things have happened.

pittpete
01-19-2013, 10:08 PM
No way Mendy comes back

TheVet
01-19-2013, 10:12 PM
No way Mendy comes back. It's not as if poor performance and poor attitude will suddenly cancel each other out to produce a valuable team member.

And RB really isn't a big problem. There aren't many backs who can produce without holes, and the Steelers have more urgent needs that finding one of those very rare gems.

Hopefully the front office is working the real problems.

Bayz101
01-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Welcome to the forum!

And to those who believe there's not a chance in hell Mendenhall comes back, keep in mind that the Steelers we're having productive contract talks with him before the season even concluded, so, yes, there's a good chance they'll at least attempt to retain him and lock him up for at least a couple of years, and for the record, I do believe he returns.

As for Ivory, I've never seen him play. His numbers look good, but i'd like to see some film.