PDA

View Full Version : Which WR would you want drafted by the Steelers?

bhandsome08
01-21-2013, 03:06 AM
Personally, I don't really want a WR drafted within 1-3 rounds. I think they could wait for a quality prospect in rounds 5-7. They have found quality WRs in the Later stages of the draft before, So why not again?

Here's a list of Prospects I think would be great for Haley's system.
Marcus Davis, 6'3, 230lb - Virginia Tech (Just needs to show more commitment)
Aaron Mellette, 6'3, 218lbs - Elon
Brandon Kaufman, 6'4, 214lbs - Eastern Washington
Mark Harrison, 6'3, 234lbs - Rutgers
Marqueis Gray, 6'4, 250lbs - Minnesota (Could be a project).

Stu Pidasso
01-21-2013, 03:29 AM
NONE. Running back, back up QB, and corners.

bhandsome08
01-21-2013, 04:27 AM

Back-up QB will be a signed FA.

Don't need anymore CBs with Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown, and DeMarcus Van Dyke. I believe the Steelers will find a way to Keep Lewis also. So that scratches out the possibility of a CB being drafted.

As for a running back, I don't want one drafted in the first three rounds. Could wait for Gillislee or Ray Graham in rounds 4-6.

Renegade.8
01-21-2013, 11:37 AM
hmmm, perhaps the Hokie

and as for RB -- I really Leveon Bell (3rd or beyond).

Just off the top of my head and thinking out loud I think this year's crop of skill position players (at least Offense) can wait til after the first round ..even 2nd round. There are some but Pittsburgh needs to go in a different direction in the first two rounds.

SteelersCanada
01-21-2013, 12:36 PM
There's no WR worth a first round pick that fits our scheme. The only one I'd consider would be Tavon Austin, but he's 5'9. We already have small receivers, we don't need another one.

Robert Woods in the second round makes a lot of sense. But, so does Giovani Bernard as our RB. Pick your poison.

tburhans
01-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Alec Lemon from syracuse is a good prospect. Not a huge.guy I believe he's around 6'2 but a solid route runner with great hands and is a projected 6-7 round pick

Kingmagyar
01-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Finding WR in the later rounds is hardly a sure thing and considering the dire need at the position (Yes I said dire) they will draft one in the first 3 rounds of this draft or they plan on switching to a two TE attack and draft a TE instead. I would say every one of those WR you have listed would be a project and I think the team needs an AJ Green on it immediatley.

Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
Height: 6-3. Weight: 200.
Projected 40 Time: 4.40.

Watch his 2012 youtube highlights. Wow.

and I am impressed with

Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas
Height: 6-3. Weight: 209.
Projected 40 Time: 4.58.

as a 3rd round selection alternative.

Kingmagyar
01-21-2013, 03:52 PM

If the Steelers don't draft a WR or another Heath Miller (for a two TE attack approach) they will truly be one of the most horrible offenses in 2013.

I know it's hard to watch the Ravens, but man do those tall receivers outleap DBs for the ball. Most every deep throw by Flacco against the Patriots were catches our smallish WRs would have no chance at. Why go into a game without every chance to beat an opponent. The light goes on for Colbert and a tall WR is added to the team and I don't think it will be a FA like Dwayne Bowe so that leaves the draft.

Anyone predicting a non WR pick by the Steelers in this year's draft will be dead wrong.

CanuckCurtain
01-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Cordarrelle Patterson highlights were sweet but where do they see him getting picked?

tburhans
01-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Patterson would be a great fit for us and Ben would love him. Hes a big target which we dont have and hes also a great special team returner. Hamilton is 2 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter than he is listed according to walterfootball at the senior bowl weigh ins so he isnt as big as listed. I believe Patterson will most likely be there when we pick but the question is can we afford to pick him there? or would it be better to trade back

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-21-2013, 06:16 PM
I would rather have hunter over Patterson. 6-4 reminds me of aj green coming out of college. I really like Quitton Patton in round 2-3 I believe he would fit the system really well.

And in 6-7 round marquise Goodwin from Texas very fast and great returner basically would just be the return guy.

cbrunn
01-21-2013, 07:15 PM
DeAndre Hopkins
Justin Hunter
Cobi Hamilton

are my favorite 1-3 round WR

Also I believe Patterson could become the first WR drafted ... he will blow up at the combine

PhantomJB93
01-22-2013, 02:07 AM
DO NOT DRAFT MARCUS DAVIS - I am a HUGE Hokie fan and he is not someone you want to see in the black and gold. Mike Wallace 2.0. Dude is an elite receiver prospect and could have been a first rounder if he had a better work ethic but is really lazy, I mean REALLY lazy with route running and especially blocking.

Only one I'd be okay with in the first round is Cordarrelle Patterson, and then Justin Hunter or Keenan Allen if they dropped into the second wouldn't be bad either. As long as it's somebody with good size, the last thing we need right now is to spend an early pick on another speedy sub-6' receiver.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-23-2013, 02:46 AM
DO NOT DRAFT MARCUS DAVIS - I am a HUGE Hokie fan and he is not someone you want to see in the black and gold. Mike Wallace 2.0. Dude is an elite receiver prospect and could have been a first rounder if he had a better work ethic but is really lazy, I mean REALLY lazy with route running and especially blocking.

Only one I'd be okay with in the first round is Cordarrelle Patterson, and then Justin Hunter or Keenan Allen if they dropped into the second wouldn't be bad either. As long as it's somebody with good size, the last thing we need right now is to spend an early pick on another speedy sub-6' receiver.

I agree reports from davis at the east west game werent good

Also I agree we neef some one 6-2 or bigger with a good frame. But quitton patton who im very high on is a 6' foot guy who will be good in the haley scheme. Look for him this week at the senior bowl

Steeldude
01-23-2013, 12:15 PM
I hope they don't waste a pick on a WR in the first 3 rounds

Justp94
01-23-2013, 04:07 PM
I hope they don't waste a pick on a WR in the first 3 rounds

Why not? All of our Wide Receivers declined in 2012. Wallace is most likely gone with our cap situation and there's only so much bringing back Burress would do for us. Plus, we NEED more of an Explosive Offense so Ben can thrive and be the Elite Quarterback we know he can be. By picking a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round that has a lot of talent and a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round that has a lot of Talent then our Offense could actually be good for once and we'd have a chance to be a lot better. Look at how badly Baltimore's defense played this year and yet they're in the Superbowl and we aren't. It's because they have an offense with many weapons, Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce, Boldin, Smith, Pitta. People always say Defense win championships and that's true to a point, however without a dominant offense to help your defense it's pointless. The Ravens defense sucked this year, but made stops and big plays when it mattered to Win games, something the Steelers have been known to do in the past but haven't been able to do as of late. Having a moderate defense like we have now for 2013 would be okay, as long as the players are able to make key plays like they're paid to do. Plus drafting a Defensive Stud in the 1st round and another good defensive player in the 4th round, like a safety, we would slightly improve our defense while also dramatically improving our offense if those high offensive draft picks perform at a high level.

Projected WRs for 2013:
Antonio Brown
Emmanuel Sanders
Jericho Cotchery
Plexico Burress
Draft Pick
Reserve Player

My Mock Draft and Mock Draft 2.0 are in my Signature. I have a WR in the Top 3 in both of them.

bhandsome08
01-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Why not? All of our Wide Receivers declined in 2012. Wallace is most likely gone with our cap situation and there's only so much bringing back Burress would do for us. Plus, we NEED more of an Explosive Offense so Ben can thrive and be the Elite Quarterback we know he can be. By picking a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round that has a lot of talent and a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round that has a lot of Talent then our Offense could actually be good for once and we'd have a chance to be a lot better. Look at how badly Baltimore's defense played this year and yet they're in the Superbowl and we aren't. It's because they have an offense with many weapons, Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce, Boldin, Smith, Pitta. People always say Defense win championships and that's true to a point, however without a dominant offense to help your defense it's pointless. The Ravens defense sucked this year, but made stops and big plays when it mattered to Win games, something the Steelers have been known to do in the past but haven't been able to do as of late. Having a moderate defense like we have now for 2013 would be okay, as long as the players are able to make key plays like they're paid to do. Plus drafting a Defensive Stud in the 1st round and another good defensive player in the 4th round, like a safety, we would slightly improve our defense while also dramatically improving our offense if those high offensive draft picks perform at a high level.

Projected WRs for 2013:
Antonio Brown
Emmanuel Sanders
Jericho Cotchery
Plexico Burress
Draft Pick
Reserve Player

My Mock Draft and Mock Draft 2.0 are in my Signature. I have a WR in the Top 3 in both of them.

We do need to draft a WR, But just not someone in the first 3 rounds. I think the current receivers will be good enough.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-23-2013, 07:29 PM
We do need to draft a WR, But just not someone in the first 3 rounds. I think the current receivers will be good enough.

They weren't good enough last what makes you think they will be good this year especially without a deep threat(Wallace)

SteelersCanada
01-23-2013, 07:56 PM
They weren't good enough last what makes you think they will be good this year especially without a deep threat(Wallace)

Adjusting to a new scheme and they were hurt. Those two things together pretty much spell doom for any WR core.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Adjusting to a new scheme and they were hurt. Those two things together pretty much spell doom for any WR core.

Fumbles and a lot of dropped passes in important moments

SteelersCanada
01-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Fumbles and a lot of dropped passes in important moments

Oh no doubt, but they're still young and developing.

cbrunn
01-23-2013, 09:57 PM
I believe if you going to take a WR it has to be Justin Hunter or DeAandre Hopkins in the first ... if your not going to take any of those guys , then in the 2nd there are no WRs , and 3rd only WR i'd want is Cobi Hamilton ...

if don't get one of those 3 , might as well hope they can find a later round prospect

Hunter is my personal favorite though

Steeldude
01-23-2013, 11:20 PM

Projected WRs for 2013:
Antonio Brown
Emmanuel Sanders
Jericho Cotchery
Plexico Burress
Draft Pick
Reserve Player

Because there are more pressing needs than a WR in the early rounds. As for Wallace, I am jumping up and down in excitement that he may be gone for good. The Steelers need help at OLB, ILB, CB and S. Woodley is pretty much average. Harrison could be cut due to salary, and injuries. That would leave the Steelers without a pass rusher. Polamalu is old, injured and could possibly be a cap casualty also. Lewis may not be re-signed. Taylor is showing his age. Unfortunately, the CB pool is rather weak this year. As for ILB, who is there. Spence is still recovering from a bad knee injury. Foote is average on his best day. Hopefully they cut him once and for all. Sylvester hasn't shown much. Timmons is the lone bright spot.

I blame the WR's coach for the poor play. To replace Wallace all the Steelers need to do is draft a WR with a great 40 time. Wallace didn't off anything else. He can't catch. His routes are average to poor. His effort was putrid. Also, the new offense could have hindered them as well as BR. I guess that remains to be seen

kent
01-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Our receiving core is fine even without Wallace. The key to a successful season is a healthy Ben and O line.

harrison'samonster
01-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Our receiving core is fine even without Wallace. The key to a successful season is a healthy Ben and O line.

bingo! I would add a threat at running back and and less negative plays by the SP teams.

teegre
01-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Tavon Austin

I know that he's short, but he can score from ANYWHERE.

Two years ago, against LSU, Claiborne, Reid, & Mathieu were talking trash to Austin... and he still got over on them.

And then there was the Oklahoma game: 572 total yards (344 rushing yards).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxzPryPMB74

Kingmagyar
01-25-2013, 08:58 AM

Yes fine in the sense that they have no ability to catch a ball at it's highest point. Have you been watching the playoffs? I have seen time and again a receiver catching a ball over a corner who's back is turned to the football. We have a great arsenal of shifty fast guys but without that tall physical fast receiver this team is losing out on another way to attack defenses. Why would we hamper ourselves in that way? And minus Mike Wallace this core right now is in trouble and has no depth whatsoever.

Justp94
01-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Because there are more pressing needs than a WR in the early rounds. As for Wallace, I am jumping up and down in excitement that he may be gone for good. The Steelers need help at OLB, ILB, CB and S. Woodley is pretty much average. Harrison could be cut due to salary, and injuries. That would leave the Steelers without a pass rusher. Polamalu is old, injured and could possibly be a cap casualty also. Lewis may not be re-signed. Taylor is showing his age. Unfortunately, the CB pool is rather weak this year. As for ILB, who is there. Spence is still recovering from a bad knee injury. Foote is average on his best day. Hopefully they cut him once and for all. Sylvester hasn't shown much. Timmons is the lone bright spot.

I blame the WR's coach for the poor play. To replace Wallace all the Steelers need to do is draft a WR with a great 40 time. Wallace didn't off anything else. He can't catch. His routes are average to poor. His effort was putrid. Also, the new offense could have hindered them as well as BR. I guess that remains to be seen

We were 1st in Overall D,1st in Passing D, and 2nd in Running D, despite being 8-8... Want to know what that tells me? We need a more explosive offense, no more bullshit. We have an Elite QB in Ben, but don't have the necessary weapons around him so he can thrive. The Steelers can't fix everything in this Draft, they have to focus on having a balanced draft as in drafting equally good talent on both sides of the ball for positions that we need help in. So I'd expect either a WR & RB and a LB in the 1-3 rounds or a S & LB and WR or RB in the 1-3 Rounds.

Justp94
01-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Tavon Austin

I know that he's short, but he can score from ANYWHERE.

Two years ago, against LSU, Claiborne, Reid, & Mathieu were talking trash to Austin... and he still got over on them.

And then there was the Oklahoma game: 572 total yards (344 rushing yards).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxzPryPMB74

We already have smaller guys in Antonio Brown and Sanders and that's enough... we need a bigger, more physical WR.

teegre
01-25-2013, 08:09 PM
We already have smaller guys in Antonio Brown and Sanders and that's enough... we need a bigger, more physical WR.

True.

But... if the WR position is going to be addressed, then he needs to be in the discussion. Yes, his size is a disadvantage, but his cutting ability is insane. Hence, again, he should be in the discussion (at least, for now).

cbrunn
01-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Quinton Patton is supposed to be having a great week at the senior bowl ... so is Marcus Wheaton