PDA

View Full Version : Young Money Crew

maddog78
01-21-2013, 07:11 AM
Watching these playoffs has shown me one thing - we have a bunch of complementary receivers in Pittsburgh, no #1 studs.

Guys like AJ Green, Boldin, J. Jones, Torry Smith, Roddy White go up and make tough catches in traffic that we just don't see in Pittsburgh.

We'd rightfully crucify Ben if he tried to throw that TD pass Ryan threw to Jones in the left corner, because our receivers would have been easily out-fought for the ball.

Need a physical presence or two that Brown and Wallace can complement.

Gnutella
01-21-2013, 07:24 AM
Watching these playoffs has shown me one thing - we have a bunch of complementary receivers in Pittsburgh, no #1 studs.

Guys like AJ Green, Boldin, J. Jones, Torry Smith, Roddy White go up and make tough catches in traffic that we just don't see in Pittsburgh.

We'd rightfully crucify Ben if he tried to throw that TD pass Ryan threw to Jones in the left corner, because our receivers would have been easily out-fought for the ball.

Need a physical presence or two that Brown and Wallace can complement.

It wouldn't be a "rightful" crucifixion if the problem is that the WRs aren't physical enough to fight for the ball. Sometimes QBs have to put the ball in tight windows and depend on their WRs to fight for it. And if Roethlisberger doesn't like "throwing WRs open," maybe this is why, because he's afraid that if he tried, the WRs would either drop it or let defenders steal it from them.

Other than that minor disagreement, though, you're right; the Steelers have a bunch of smurfs at WR, so now it's time to give Roethlisberger the tall, physical WR he's always wanted.

lloydwoodson
01-21-2013, 07:33 AM
I agree the Steelers need a big play receiver. What do you think of this guy? He seems like one of the best in the league to me at making big plays.

nZi0Vnx15AU

Gnutella
01-21-2013, 07:43 AM
I agree the Steelers need a big play receiver. What do you think of this guy? He seems like one of the best in the league to me at making big plays.

nZi0Vnx15AU

Not physical enough. Won't fight for the ball. The Steelers need a WR who can make big plays but also fight for the ball when he has to.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-21-2013, 08:03 AM

nZi0Vnx15AU

* Bad hands.
* Bad attitude.
* Bad route running.
* Won't go up for a ball or fight for a catch-- watches as defender intercepts it.
* But....faster than anyone in a straight line.

Nope.

TRH
01-21-2013, 08:12 AM
* Bad hands.
* Bad attitude.
* Bad route running.
* Won't go up for a ball or fight for a catch-- watches as defender intercepts it.
* But....faster than anyone in a straight line.

Nope.

This for me.
You can show a great "highlight reel". But its the other 80% of the time that i'm not impressed with.
A very good receiver. Absolutely.
Fitz, Boldin, Johnson level? Nope.

maddog78

If he'd stick around for modest money be-fitting a one-trick pony speed receiver, sure. But we still need a physical guy to fight for balls in traffic and in the end zone.

Ain't got one of those.

Twentyvalve
I think he was on the team a few years ago. I vaguely remember the guy making some big plays. Who does he play for now? I bet with skills like that he could make even the most mediocre QB look like a probowl candidate.

nZi0Vnx15AU

Gnutella
01-21-2013, 08:53 AM
I think he was on the team a few years ago. I vaguely remember the guy making some big plays. Who does he play for now? I bet with skills like that he could make even the most mediocre QB look like a probowl candidate.

If you're talking about Santonio Holmes, he's only marginally better than Mike Wallace at catching and fighting for a ball. Otherwise, he was just as inconsistent and had the same poor attitude. Furthermore, he didn't help Mark Sanchez look any better than he is. If anything, Ben Roethlisberger made Holmes look better than he is.

Twentyvalve
01-21-2013, 08:54 AM
My sarcasm escapes you sir! :wink02:

If you're talking about Santonio Holmes, he's only marginally better than Mike Wallace at catching and fighting for a ball. Otherwise, he was just as inconsistent and had the same poor attitude. Furthermore, he didn't help Mark Sanchez look any better than he is. If anything, Ben Roethlisberger made Holmes look better than he is.

steelfury02
01-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Ben made Holmes look like a World Beater - without Ben, Holmes has shown his true colors

We need a PHYSICAL guy - regardless of size. You know who fights for the ball? Cotchery - way more than the other guys, and thats a shame

No more track star/speed BS - POSSESSION IS KEY M'FERS! lol:chuckle:

pczach
01-21-2013, 09:57 AM
If anyone objectively watched these playoff games, you can plainly see that nearly every team in the tournament has better receivers than the Steelers.

Look at that wonderful highlight reel of Mike Wallace. Now show me the dazzling catches he has made with defenders all over him. Show me the ones where he is covered like a blanket and wrestles the ball from the defender. Show me the ones where he catches the ball with his hands in traffic and does a toe tap that would make a ballerina envious. How about all those crushing blocks he makes to help his teammates? Got any highlights like that?

I didn't think so.....

Face it. He's a good downfield threat. He's not a polished #1 receiver, and it's not even close.

lloydwoodson
01-21-2013, 10:01 AM
:rofl: Anyone who thinks Torrey Smith or Anquan Boldin is better than Mike Wallace should be posting on the Ravens message board. Boldin is a possession receiver he is no where near Wallace's level (Boldin has caught 4 or less TDs in 5 of his seasons- how is he a red zone threat???). Torrey Smith is similar to Wallace- same height and build and is a speed guy just not as good (let me know when he catches more than 50 passes in a season until then stfu).

As far as Fitz (3rd overall pick), Andre Johnson (3rd overall pick), Calvin Johnson (2nd overall pick), Julio Jones (6th overall pick)- I hope the Steelers are never bad enough to get a receiver that good.

Please explain to me how the Steelers are going to get a better receiver than Wallace (who gets more separation from defenders than any other player in the league).

SteelersCanada
01-21-2013, 10:03 AM
We haven't given Brown a chance to be our number one receiver, so for you to say that he isn't capable of doing so is ridiculous.

They're still young and developing guys and we're ridiculously hard on them. People have to keep in mind that none of these guys are first or even second round WRs, but we still feel the need to rip them to shreds despite the obvious progression that they've had. The fact of the matter is, we don't know what our guys can do yet because they haven't been given the opportunity to play in a system that compliments their skillset without having Wallace be the number one target. If their numbers are still down come this time next year, we can start to look at picking up a new number one receiver. Until then, how about we stop bashing our entire roster?

Steelers5895
01-21-2013, 10:04 AM

oh i totally disagree. Holmes may be a knucklehead BUT he showed up in big games for both the Steelers and Jets. How many has wallace showed up for?

harrison'samonster
01-21-2013, 10:07 AM
oh i totally disagree. Holmes may be a knucklehead BUT he showed up in big games for both the Steelers and Jets. How many has wallace showed up for?

I've got to agree with this one big time. Holmes came up big in the big games for us. I don't know what he's done for the Jets, but when it mattered he came through for us.

Steelers5895
01-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Having receivers like Wallace, Brown and sanders are great to have as long as you are not inside the 20. At that point their biggest asset (speed) is useless as that is when you need someone who can out jump, go over the middle, shake off a tackle or use other abilities other than speed.

That is why we struggle in the red zone and that is why Heath Miller caught so many TDs this year, he was our only red zone option.

The issue I have with Wallace is his effort this year. wasnt an issue in the past. Drops are part of being a receiver and again he was a 3rd round pick too. So we got more than we bargained for. In no way is he a #1 wr.

See above for Brown.

Look for New England to sign Wallace. In that offense he would have one role, go deep and thats all he wowuld need to do.

lloydwoodson
01-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Having receivers like Wallace, Brown and sanders are great to have as long as you are not inside the 20. At that point their biggest asset (speed) is useless as that is when you need someone who can out jump, go over the middle, shake off a tackle or use other abilities other than speed.

That is why we struggle in the red zone and that is why Heath Miller caught so many TDs this year, he was our only red zone option.

The issue I have with Wallace is his effort this year. wasnt an issue in the past. Drops are part of being a receiver and again he was a 3rd round pick too. So we got more than we bargained for. In no way is he a #1 wr.

See above for Brown.

Look for New England to sign Wallace. In that offense he would have one role, go deep and thats all he wowuld need to do.

I do not disagree that Wallace and Brown aren't great red zone threats but they can still get it done. Comparing these two receivers to the best in the NFL is unfair. In order to overachieve as much as they have I do not believe for a minute they aren't hard workers.

The Steelers are not going to be in a position to draft a top 5 wr. The best they could do is draft a first round TE for a red zone threat and that is going to happen this year.

steelfury02
01-21-2013, 10:22 AM
If anyone objectively watched these playoff games, you can plainly see that nearly every team in the tournament has better receivers than the Steelers.

Look at that wonderful highlight reel of Mike Wallace. Now show me the dazzling catches he has made with defenders all over him. Show me the ones where he is covered like a blanket and wrestles the ball from the defender. Show me the ones where he catches the ball with his hands in traffic and does a toe tap that would make a ballerina envious. How about all those crushing blocks he makes to help his teammates? Got any highlights like that?

I didn't think so.....

Face it. He's a good downfield threat. He's not a polished #1 receiver, and it's not even close.

yea, I won't get into the Wallace thing again - but, physicality and possession is lacking

Renegade.8
01-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Im somewhat intrigued by a particular WR that Pittsburgh can grab so they decide to go for a big WR who can battle for the ball AFTER the first or 2nd round. I only hope the kid is available as a 3rd or 4th rounder because if his stock creeps into the 2nd round I dont know if Steelers go for him.

Aaron Dobson Marshall 6'2" 205 lb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eIvkG0Sgc0

There are better WRs of course, particularly one Cordarelle Patterson but for the purpose of replying on this thread this guy intrigues me some if he is still available. Now if Colbert really goes off and wants a WR in the first round then of course there are others and I like
Patterson quite a bit. But I doubt WR is a first round consideration for this Steelers team.

** And someone else here did post this kid in 3rd round of their mock rookie draft for Steelers, I just havent looked back. I found out about the kid over at

http://www.draftcountdown.com/index.html

Good info there too by the way in my opinion.

Twentyvalve
01-21-2013, 10:32 AM
That is about all Wallace has done this year is gain separation. To what end ( he has gained separation from the ball a few too many times too)? Have you watched Boldin and Smith lately? They have been playing as well as Wallace ever has. They fight for the ball too.

I was just excited as anybody to have Wallace. But I think the realization has set in, he is not playing quality, dependable football. At this point, I would take Boldin or Smith over Wallace. That might change next year, if he is even on the team, but right now I would dare say Wallace has been a detriment to the offense.He has easily been the most overrated player on this team.

Most of that is my opinion. But the fact is he has underperformed, as has most of the Steelers. As a result, they finished 8-8 and are watching football on TV instead of playing.

:rofl: Anyone who thinks Torrey Smith or Anquan Boldin is better than Mike Wallace should be posting on the Ravens message board. Boldin is a possession receiver he is no where near Wallace's level (Boldin has caught 4 or less TDs in 5 of his seasons- how is he a red zone threat???). Torrey Smith is similar to Wallace- same height and build and is a speed guy just not as good (let me know when he catches more than 50 passes in a season until then stfu).

As far as Fitz (3rd overall pick), Andre Johnson (3rd overall pick), Calvin Johnson (2nd overall pick), Julio Jones (6th overall pick)- I hope the Steelers are never bad enough to get a receiver that good.

Please explain to me how the Steelers are going to get a better receiver than Wallace (who gets more separation from defenders than any other player in the league).

Steelers5895
01-21-2013, 10:43 AM
I do not disagree that Wallace and Brown aren't great red zone threats but they can still get it done. Comparing these two receivers to the best in the NFL is unfair. In order to overachieve as much as they have I do not believe for a minute they aren't hard workers.

The Steelers are not going to be in a position to draft a top 5 wr. The best they could do is draft a first round TE for a red zone threat and that is going to happen this year.

I am not comparing these receivers to the best in the NFL because those like another poster said are first round picks. And, Burress in his prime was better than either brown or wallace and he was a top 10 pick.

The issue is the regression. It could be the new offensive system but I think its ego.

I am hoping 2012 was humbling for Brown and Sanders.

lloydwoodson
01-21-2013, 11:28 AM
I see a guy fighting for yards here after contact and making tough catches.

RAZjZei6rwU

Mike Wallace is not the best receiver in the NFL. The Steelers can not afford to pay him much more than AB. Wallace is still the best option for the Steelers hands down. That is all.

Wallace in Superbowl XLV - 9 catches 89 yards 1 td. Yeah get rid of that guy- he is a bum who doesn't show up in big games.

wwhickok
01-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Ive always thought of Hines Ward when I watch Antonio Brown play. He is solid and I also think he isnthe best WR we have. Even if Wallace does get resigned, its an area we might wanna draft at again.

zcoop
01-21-2013, 12:16 PM

I didn't think so.....

I watched the games too and ALL of the teams threw the ball down the field regularly. No dink and dunk shit, they made the defenses pay when they tried to stack the box. We do not air it out, nor do we have the caliber of RBs on these teams. Don't compare apples to oranges.

pczach
01-21-2013, 04:22 PM
I watched the games too and ALL of the teams threw the ball down the field regularly. No dink and dunk shit, they made the defenses pay when they tried to stack the box. We do not air it out, nor do we have the caliber of RBs on these teams. Don't compare apples to oranges.

I'm comparing Wallace to other top receivers in the league. What are you guys talking about.? He's asking for money on par with some of the best receivers in the game. What does it matter where you are drafted? After your rookie contract, you are compared to those you want to get paid like. That's not an opinion, it's fact.

As far as Antonio Brown. I like Brown. I agree he had an off year, but he was awesome when he was the featured receiver. Wallace was that guy this year. The other thing is that many of you who think Haley's system is great are defending these receivers as being talented, while they performed vastly better last year in a different offense. It's hard to make sense of all of it.

I hope some of you also notice that since Boldin went to the Ravens, they have been winning more, while their defense has been getting weaker. Since their D is worse, they have gotten better for a reason.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-21-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm comparing Wallace to other top receivers in the league. What are you guys talking about.? He's asking for money on par with some of the best receivers in the game. What does it matter where you are drafted? After your rookie contract, you are compared to those you want to get paid like. That's not an opinion, it's fact.

I agree what you have said about Wallace and not be a great receiver when compared to others. But don't hate on him cause he wants money and here's why. Wallace knows this is his time and only time to get paid and paid big. He's in his 4 or 5 season and his time is running out that mean seem to early for him but the man is a burner and that's it, he takes the top of defenses and makes team gameplay for him. The thing is his speed won't last and won't be the same in year 8 and 9. So nows the time for him to make his money cause he won't be able to later on so I don't blame him for that.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-21-2013, 04:42 PM
And for drafting a wr I either want Justin hunter 6-4 205 big tall guy very good hands, Aaron " the catch " Dobson, or quitton Patton someone I think would fit nicely in the Haley system

zcoop
01-21-2013, 04:52 PM

As far as Antonio Brown. I like Brown. I agree he had an off year, but he was awesome when he was the featured receiver. Wallace was that guy this year. The other thing is that many of you who think Haley's system is great are defending these receivers as being talented, while they performed vastly better last year in a different offense. It's hard to make sense of all of it.

I hope some of you also notice that since Boldin went to the Ravens, they have been winning more, while their defense has been getting weaker. Since their D is worse, they have gotten better for a reason.

We're responding to your post! You stated how efficient the wrs were on the playoff teams and I gave you an explanation as to why they are. The 49ers, Falcons, Cheats nor the Ratbirds run a dink and dunk style of offense, they will throw the ball down the field in NY minute. Granted, each of these teams have better running games than we do except for the Falcons but they have a superior passing game. Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez are better collectively that our crew, and Matt Ryan although soft delivers the ball to them in stride.

If Wallace was with the Falcons, he'd rack up the yards because they will chuck it up and down the field.

pczach
01-21-2013, 05:02 PM
We're responding to your post! You stated how efficient the wrs were on the playoff teams and I gave you an explanation as to why they are. The 49ers, Falcons, Cheats nor the Ratbirds run a dink and dunk style of offense, they will throw the ball down the field in NY minute. Granted, each of these teams have better running games than we do except for the Falcons but they have a superior passing game. Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez are better collectively that our crew, and Matt Ryan although soft delivers the ball to them in stride.

If Wallace was with the Falcons, he'd rack up the yards because they will chuck it up and down the field.

The whole point is that he wouldn't start on the Falcons. The amazing thing is that I don't hate the guy. I just think he has some deficiencies. If you want to blame the offense he's in, that's your opinion.

pczach
01-21-2013, 05:09 PM
I agree what you have said about Wallace and not be a great receiver when compared to others. But don't hate on him cause he wants money and here's why. Wallace knows this is his time and only time to get paid and paid big. He's in his 4 or 5 season and his time is running out that mean seem to early for him but the man is a burner and that's it, he takes the top of defenses and makes team gameplay for him. The thing is his speed won't last and won't be the same in year 8 and 9. So nows the time for him to make his money cause he won't be able to later on so I don't blame him for that.

I don't hate the guy, and I understand that he wants to get paid. We all understand that. It's how much money you want that matters. What we are talking about here is how much he is worth to the Steelers...period. If he wants $12 mil a year, let him get it somewhere else. He's not worth what he's asking, and he's a one trick pony. I'm not saying the guy sucks. I'm saying he's not in the class of the top receivers that he wants to get paid as much as. That's all.

zcoop
01-21-2013, 06:01 PM
The whole point is that he wouldn't start on the Falcons. The amazing thing is that I don't hate the guy. I just think he has some deficiencies. If you want to blame the offense he's in, that's your opinion.

The Falcons don't need him or any other wrs in the league because they drafted their current squad to fit what they do. We have changed our system and are going in a new direction. I don't know what kind of game you're playing here but if the Falcons didn't have one of their big two, they'd love to have Wallace's talent. You keep changing your points as well, hmmmmmmm.

lloydwoodson
01-21-2013, 06:02 PM

It is fair to compare receivers who are making the same money you are right. However, Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald are making 18 and 17 million a year respectively. Supposedly Wallace is asking for 10-12 which is closer to AB's 8.05.

After their first 4 seasons: Wallace 235 Recs 4042 Yds 32 Tds
Johnson 270 Recs 4191 Yds 33 Tds
Fitz 330 Recs 4544 Yds 34 Tds

Keep in mind when Wallace joined the Steelers he was behind Ward and Holmes on the depth chart. Yeah, Wallace is a 1 trick pony... all he does is score 60 yard Tds. Better look somewhere else for a receiver.

On a note unrelated to this topic but adressing Boldin- Flacco is the reason the Ravens are better. Flacco was bad his first two seasons and has been very solid since. Flacco has 3 back to back 100+ RTG games in these playoffs which is why the Ravens are going to the superbowl. 8 Tds 0 Ints is fairly impressive on the road vs Houston, Denver and New England.

tanda10506
01-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Wallace has been under performing for a season and a half. His hands hurt us this year more then they helped. us. We do need a REAL #1 WR.

lloydwoodson
01-23-2013, 04:47 AM
Q6nMMrlfDPg

This guy sucks! He can't catch! He is terrible in the red zone! We need a #1 receiver!

t_RFniPfxiA

VaDave
01-23-2013, 06:08 AM
I like the first Highlight film. Especially the the clip of Holi Ngta running him down from behind........

Wallace is good receiver for what we need him for, and that is to take the top off of the defense. IMO, that alone is not worth $10mil a year.

Somebody had a good point about how in the redzone all that speed doesn't mean as much as getting off the line and out on the route. A more consistent rushing attack might help in the redzone too.

In truth, we will miss him when he's gone as other than Brown, we have no home run options.

lloydwoodson
01-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Touchdowns scored by wide receivers over the last 4 years:

Mike Wallace 32
Calvin Johnson 33
Andre Johnson 23
Reggie Wayne 25
Roddy White 36
Wes Welker 26
Brandon Marshall 30
Vincent Jackson 29
Larry Fitzgerald 31

Who the hell cares where Wallace scores from? The point is he scores. It is better that he scores on long plays from outside the redzone. 2 receivers in the NFL have scored more touchdowns than Wallace in the last 4 seasons and most people don't want him resigned. :banging:

Amazing.

The ironic part is the same people who think Ben needs to throw the ball down the field more also want Wallace off the team. Wallace is the only viable deep threat on the team. No one in the league can get seperation like he can.

What does Wallace do after he scores a touchdown? Throws the ball to the ref and hops in the stands or celebrates with a teammate... seems like Steelers material to me. There were 30 players who dropped more passes than Wallace in 2012 did but only 2 who have caught more touchdowns over the last four years. You people need to get a grip.

BlaZeQuietly
01-23-2013, 12:16 PM
It's not Wallace's numbers that concern me per say, it's his attitude, and some of the things that don't show up on the stat sheet. Things such as not attempting to catch a pass. Wallace is a great deep threat but he sure has trouble with short passes, which does not fit the current Haley offense. Wallace will probably have a good career, but I will be surprised if it's in pittsburgh. I'd like to keep him around but not if its going to cost 10- 12 million dollars a year, Id give him 8 though, if that's even possible for us.

TRH
01-23-2013, 01:19 PM
We're not keeping Wallace.
We need to be cutting anyways - not spending.

There are a few teams very likely to make a run for him and offer him big money. He needn't worry - someone out there WILL offer him a big contract.

Some teams -such as the Packers - who will need receiving help as they will likely be losing Jennings and more - have expressed no interest - because like us - they have serious "cap" issues right now and likely wouldn't have the money for him.
One such team that is being mentioned is the Minnesota Vikings. One of their focuses is to find another threat & deep thread for Christian Ponder - its a priority of theirs.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Q6nMMrlfDPg

This guy sucks! He can't catch! He is terrible in the red zone! We need a #1 receiver!

t_RFniPfxiA

I am sure if we dig hard enough-- we can find some great highlights of Trent Dilfer out there on the web too. The fact remains, Wallace's hands directly costed us at least one or two games this year.

He left at least 2 uncontested TDs out on the grass in the first Bengals game. He alligator armed catchable passes in other games, watching stupidly as the opposing defender swooped in for the interception.

If it were just this year, we could probably overlook it as him just having an off year. But his drops and short-armed attempts at catching the ball have costed us for several years now. Heck, his running the wrong route in SBXLV costed us that title too.

pete74
01-23-2013, 02:20 PM
I am sure if we dig hard enough-- we can find some great highlights of Trent Dilfer out there on the web too. The fact remains, Wallace's hands directly costed us at least one or two games this year.

He left at least 2 uncontested TDs out on the grass in the first Bengals game. He alligator armed catchable passes in other games, watching stupidly as the opposing defender swooped in for the interception.

If it were just this year, we could probably overlook it as him just having an off year. But his drops and short-armed attempts at catching the ball have costed us for several years now. Heck, his running the wrong route in SBXLV costed us that title too.

Possible but Browns hands definitely cost us two games

lloydwoodson
01-23-2013, 06:34 PM

You're right there probably is a highlight video of Trent Dilfer out there and I say if Dilfer runs a 4.2 40 and catches 8 tds a year the Steelers should sign him immediately.

I9ksRzEuchk&NR=1

Yeah Wallace was terrible in Superbowl 45 - 9 catches 89 yards and a touchown. :coffee:

What are you talking about? Wallace ran the wrong route? Are you talking about the pick 6? Kemoeatu didn't block his man and Roethlisberger heaved a 40 yarder falling backwards so that it floated in the air. How is that the wrong route?