PDA

View Full Version : What kind of message does it send?

desertsteel
01-21-2013, 07:47 AM
What kind of message do you think it sends to the Steelers FO, Coaches and Players that their arch rival is going to the Super Bowl? I think that in some way, it's a good thing, in that it may light a fire under them. They have already made comments about changes and I think that this will only intensify that position. It's like how the Yankees must feel when the Red Sox go to the World Series. It's a different feeling when it hits close to home versus two random teams.

I'm not saying that it's a huge deal, but perhaps just one more thing that aligns to make a perfect offseason storm for change in 2013.

maddog78
01-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Agree 100%. The Rooneys need to get back in the business of football and out of the business of politics. This Super Bowl is a win-win in that regard. Either their arch rival wins it, or the Niners tie them and get bragging rights for a while.

harrison'samonster
01-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Having a successful rival is definitely a plus. It's a big motivator to make yourself better. While SB's are the goal, getting them each year isn't realistic. Getting the chance to punch a rival in the face twice a year is something different.

Quackjack
01-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Having a successful rival is definitely a plus. It's a big motivator to make yourself better. While SB's are the goal, getting them each year isn't realistic. Getting the chance to punch a rival in the face twice a year is something different.

Yup. While the Pats have been very good, they don't have a legit rival. The Jets had a few good years but have sucked otherwise, and the Dolphins and Bills management is mentally retarded.

steelfury02
01-21-2013, 09:54 AM
you know what I like

possible Ravens as defending champs without their current leaders on defense - sounds like a huge meltdown waiting to happen next season and ripe for the picking

I KINDA:thumbsup: like being under the radar again - could make things interesting!

Steelers5895
01-21-2013, 10:16 AM
The steelers HAVE to make good draft picks this year. I look at all these teams this weekend and how many mid round players were contributing?

wwhickok
01-21-2013, 11:46 AM
The Steelers not only have to make good draft picks this year their first 3 rds have to be gems. People who can come in and start rather quickly.

VaDave
01-21-2013, 11:50 AM
We are also going to be active in the FA market too. I'm fairly certain we are going to have more than 7 roster spots to fill.

pete74
01-21-2013, 11:54 AM
We are also going to be active in the FA market too. I'm fairly certain we are going to have more than 7 roster spots to fill.

We can't afford any big name players though.

OX1947
01-21-2013, 12:02 PM
The message sends that even a deaf, blind and stupid squirrel will find a nut at least once. The Ratbirds making it to the Bowl finally doesn't mean dick. The Bucs and Saints won 1. Does that mean their legacy of assness should just be eliminated? No. Sorry.

plenewken
01-21-2013, 12:07 PM
you know what I like

possible Ravens as defending champs without their current leaders on defense - sounds like a huge meltdown waiting to happen next season and ripe for the picking

I KINDA:thumbsup: like being under the radar again - could make things interesting!

I think the Ravens are legit favorites for winning our Division next year. They are a better team that us at this point. I hate to admit it though.

desertsteel
01-21-2013, 12:42 PM
They are a better team that us at this point. I hate to admit it though.
I guess that's why they are in the Super Bowl and our season has been over for a month...

NSMaster56
01-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Like the OP's thinking.

San Fran possibly getting ring #6 might also 'light a fire' under this team's ass.

Surely the character, heart and tenacity displayed by the Ravens should remind the Steelers how they used to play and what it takes to be a champion.

desertsteel
01-21-2013, 01:47 PM
The message sends that even a deaf, blind and stupid squirrel will find a nut at least once. The Ratbirds making it to the Bowl finally doesn't mean dick. The Bucs and Saints won 1. Does that mean their legacy of assness should just be eliminated? No. Sorry.

Yeah? Keep thinking that the competition isn't getting better and soon you'll be the blind squirrel.

wootawnee
01-21-2013, 04:01 PM
I am proud of the Ravens..... Its great to have someone from our division in the Superbowl.....

pete74
01-21-2013, 04:20 PM
I am proud of the Ravens..... Its great to have someone from our division in the Superbowl.....

Agreed. It's funny to me how some people want to vomit because there in the super bowl.Yes tthere our rival becauseI we play them twice a year and there always tough but iit's just a game. I guess I just think differently then the majority of Steelerfans . If they win the super bowl then they deserve it. There a great team

harrison'samonster
01-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Agreed. It's funny to me how some people want to vomit because there in the super bowl.Yes tthere our rival becauseI we play them twice a year and there always tough but iit's just a game. I guess I just think differently then the majority of Steelerfans . If they win the super bowl then they deserve it. There a great team

I'd say you think differently on the subject than most NFL fans, who love watching their rival teams get destroyed. While I do enjoy seeing them get defeated, I have no problem when they do well. I have a lot of respect for the Ravens, they are a lot like the Steelers, just not as good :chuckle:.

Dino 6 Rings
01-21-2013, 04:52 PM
the Ravens are a-holes...and jerks...and loud mouth scumbags...but they are OUR a-holes, OUR jerks and our loud mouth scumbags...

Just saying, they, the Ravens are like our Little Brother that has found some success. Its cute, its adorable in a way to see them "working so hard" and getting a little pay out.

As for the Niners...not impressed. I'd rather a team from our Division win than an NFC Team that couldn't even beat the Rams.

Dino 6 Rings
01-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Which is better or worse?

SuperBowl Wins - How many does YOUR team have?
Steelers 6, 49ers 6, Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Giants 4, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Pats 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Bears 1, Ravens 1, Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints1

or

Steelers 6, 49ers 5, Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Giants 4, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Pats 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Ravens 2, Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints1, Bears 1,

harrison'samonster
01-21-2013, 05:21 PM
the Ravens are a-holes...and jerks...and loud mouth scumbags...but they are OUR a-holes, OUR jerks and our loud mouth scumbags...

that's classic!

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-21-2013, 05:55 PM

Steelers 6, 49ers 6, Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Giants 4, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Pats 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Bears 1, Ravens 1, Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints1

or

Steelers 6, 49ers 5, Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Giants 4, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Pats 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Ravens 2, Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints1, Bears 1,

Since you wrote that it kinda makes me want the 49ers to lose.

Just the thought of sharing 6 rings just annoys me, rather have the Ravens win then watch them struggle for years to come.

desertsteel
01-21-2013, 06:03 PM

or

TBH, Steeler Nation doesn't need any charity. If we have to hold on to the top spot by others losing instead of us winning, then it becomes an irrelevant achievement IMO. If we want top spot then go get number 7 next year.

Dino 6 Rings
01-21-2013, 07:30 PM
TBH, Steeler Nation doesn't need any charity. If we have to hold on to the top spot by others losing instead of us winning, then it becomes an irrelevant achievement IMO. If we want top spot then go get number 7 next year.

Charity would be Jimmy getting a ring the sane year he couldn't even beat the stinkin' Rams. No team with a lousy tie should get a ring.

harrison'samonster
01-21-2013, 07:30 PM

I completely agree. Keep looking forward and make yourself better.

sloppyjoe
01-21-2013, 10:38 PM
i heard tomlin clapped his hands and nodded his head when the niners and rats advanced............look out.