PDA

View Full Version : Ravens front office overtakes Steelers

OakmontMan
01-21-2013, 08:50 AM
How did this happen. We used to be the team that overcame injuries by using our depth to plug in capable backups for our injured starters. We made great deep round draft selections that gave our team depth for playoff runs. Ravens have out managed us. They have made 3 afc championships despite having a poor offensive coordinator. Speaks to rest of their talent. Now with Caldwell at helm they are set for a long time. Their injuries this year were much worse than ours yet they overcame. And please don't say that Ben being out killed us. We lost with him to crap teams. For first time I am not confident we will make right moves to contend with the now dreaded birds. Bisciotti is the new class owner. He picks or keeps the best people, regardless of race. Arghhh. It pains me to admit this.

Quackjack
01-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Your lack of faith... disturbs me.

Gnutella
01-21-2013, 08:59 AM
The Ravens had a couple of shitty drafts in 2004 and 2005. The Steelers had their two shitty drafts in 2008 and 2009. That's why the Ravens have the upper hand right now.

Quackjack
01-21-2013, 09:00 AM
The Ravens had a couple of shitty drafts in 2004 and 2005. The Steelers had their two shitty drafts in 2008 and 2009. That's why the Ravens have the upper hand right now.

2012 was a shitty draft for us :I

wwhickok
01-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Don't worry the Ravens are capable of making it to a Super Bowl once every 12 years. When Ed Reed and Ray Lewis retire everything will go downhill.

The b*tches will return to the basement

Rotorhead
01-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Wow, the ravens injuries were worse, they lost a CB (so did we) and a LB (we basicslly lost 3 with James only starting to get healthy late, woodly and his hammy and spence a projected starter). Then we lost 3 on the Oline, 4 if you count DD, and our QB. I think we got the short end of the injury stick this season.

steelfury02
01-21-2013, 09:41 AM
1 SB appearance and you think we're bottom of the barrel?

Just wait if the Ravens win. Jesus Christos up and down. Think they'll have the mental fortitude to defend? NOPE.

Just relax people. Tomlin is black, Biscotti is white - who effing cares? You wouldn't be saying squat if we were in the playoffs.

RELAX.

SteelersCanada
01-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Can people just take a deep breath? Holy shit, I'm getting tired of the 'we suck guys! why can't we be like Baltimore!' threads. If you want us to be like the Ravens, go cheer for the Ravens. The Steelers are going to own the AFC North for years to come - let them have their one trip this decade and we'll take our multiple trips over the next 8 years.

steelfury02
01-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Ditto Steelers Canada

being emotional and pissy about the caliber of execution from our favorite players is one thing - but honestly, sitting here and having a pissing contest cause the Ravens are going to the SB? C'mon - don't act like a Ravens fan.

harrison'samonster
01-21-2013, 10:11 AM
I hate to say it, but this sounds like a thread that could have been started by a Ravens troll. Exact same language they use. "Oh the Steelers are history! Ravens are the class of the AFC! Ohhh, the:dramaqueen::dramaqueen::dramaqueen: drama!"

jfeust
01-21-2013, 10:48 AM
2012 was a shitty draft for us :I

1 24 (24) DeCastro, David G
2 24 (56) Adams, Mike OT
3 23 (86) Spence, Sean LB
4 14 (109) Ta'amu, Alameda DT
5 24 (159) Rainey, Chris RB
7 24 (231) Clemons, Toney WR
7 33 (240) Paulson, David TE
7 39 (246) Frederick, Terrence CB
7 41 (248) Beachum, Kelvin T

Obviously still too early to tell, but..

Two starting OL's with a solid any position OL backup (beachum)
Two possible starters on D with Spence and Ta'amu.
And a Solid backup TE that might progress into a starter.

I'd say its way to early to call bust and in fact looks like it could be pretty good.

Personally I'm extremely excited to see what Spence brings when/if healthy.

Kingmagyar
01-21-2013, 02:24 PM
The Steelers being salary cap strapped has really prevented them from the free agent game. Even mid level free agents. Ozzie Newsom has really done an excellent job in finding the right Free agents.

Vonta Leach FB
Anquan Boldin WR
Jacoby Jones WR/KR
Matt Birk C
Bryant McKinnie LT
Ma'ake Kemoeatu DT
Corey Graham CB
Bernard Pollard S

All have contributed big time to the season and the playoff run. Most importantly all have stayed healthy.

Hopefuly when the Steelers are a little less up against the cap they too can enjoy this kind of FA success.

I can't say the Ravens have drafted better then us though as none of their last 3 years number one picks have become regular starters
Courtney Upshaw
Jimmy Smith
Sergio Kindle

and before that Michael Oher has become a RT and not the LT they envisioned.

The Steelers in that time haven't lit it up but Decastro, Pouncey, and Hood are starters with more then likely two being perenial all pros and Cam Heyward is the heir to Keisel's starting spot.

MasterOfPuppets
01-21-2013, 02:29 PM
we'll see how the ravens do when they have to write flacco's fat checks

With potential salary cap issues, who do you pay this offseason? Joe Flacco is one of a number of key players the Ravens will need to re-sign.

Joe Flacco is setting himself up to be a well-paid man. Flacco's contract has been a focal point of discussion for at least a year now, with the fifth-year quarterback trying to prove he's one of the NFL's elite quarterbacks. With just two playoff games under his belt this postseason, he might have already proven his case. In wins over the Indianapolis Colts and the Denver Broncos, Flacco has completed 52 percent of his passes for 613 yards and five touchdowns. He has yet to throw an interception this postseason.

His agent said he's an "elite" quarterback, according to Aaron Wilson of The Baltimore Sun:

"I've been the one putting him on a pedestal saying, 'Joe's a top-five, elite quarterback, and he's proving it,' " agent Joe Linta said. "He's in the rarified air of having already won seven playoff games in his short career. He's really demonstrating that he's one of the top guys out there."

Flacco's rookie contract -- which was $29 million over five years -- is set to expire at the end of the postseason. If he wants a contract that's "elite" status, then he's due for a very nice pay raise.

New Orleans' Drew Brees is being paid $100 million over five years, which is the richest quarterback contract in the NFL on a per-year basis. Denver's Peyton Manning is just shy of that, checking in at $96 million over five years.

Here are some of the other price tags on quarterbacks throughout the league, according to Spotrac:

PHI Michael Vick -- 5 years/$80M ($16M per year)
NE Tom Brady -- 5 years/$78.5M ($15.7M per year)
NYG Eli Manning -- 7 years/$106.9M ($15.2M per year)
SD Philip Rivers -- 7 years/$98.25M ($14M per year)
HOU Matt Schaub -- 5 years/$66.15M ($13.2M per year)
STL Sam Bradford -- 6 years/$78M ($13M per year)

So where is Flacco going to fall? Well, that depends if he's coming back to Baltimore or if another team in need of a quarterback (Arizona? Kansas City? New York Jets?) gobbles him up, which is unlikely.

But here's the kicker: The Ravens have salary cap issues.

So where do you want your money spent?

Outside linebacker Paul Kruger, inside linebacker Dannell Ellerbe and cornerback Cary Williams are all unrestricted free agents who have helped solidify this defense in the absence of players like Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs. It would be hard to lose both Ellerbe and Kruger, considering Lewis will be playing his last game at some point over the next few weeks. But if Flacco is back on the roster for $13-$15M per season, signing both could be tight -- or impossible.

Oh, yeah. Who else is a free agent? A guy named Ed Reed. Another guy named Bryant McKinnie. And Dennis Pitta, too, just to throw that in there.

One bright spot is with Lewis retiring, that will free up approximately $5.4M in 2013, $5.8M in 2014 and $6.3M in 2015.

So, what do you do, Ravens fans? Re-sign Flacco and make some tough decisions on the defense, or do you even consider the possibility of Flacco walking? The latter is unlikely because the franchise tag is there if they need it.

StainlessStill
01-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Same thing must have been said in 2000. We missed the playoffs, but returned the next season to beat Balty in the Divisional Round & off to the AFC Championship, setting up our dominance over the NORTH for years to come.

Trust me, I'd rather drive a bus through an orphanage than to see the Ravens win this, but on the other hand, it only strengthens our rivalry with them and will put pressure on us to make us better in the way we do things. Relax, Balty losing the 'Bowl would be satisfying:tt04:

TRH
01-21-2013, 03:23 PM
i'm not going to pit "front office against front office" - but lets give credit where its due. The Ravens have put a rock solid team together with many good "next man up's" as well. One thing i noticed last night is how strong they are across the board - not at just one or two positions.

BlaZeQuietly
01-22-2013, 01:21 AM
wheres mach1 to bitch about this thread?: Stop telling the truth! you might get banned.

BlaZeQuietly
01-22-2013, 01:21 AM
"this isnt twitter, don't post thoughts, only dreams" - mach1

MACH1
01-22-2013, 01:26 AM
wheres mach1 to bitch about this thread?: Stop telling the truth! you might get banned.

Your workin on it.

BlaZeQuietly
01-22-2013, 01:27 AM
*you're"

MACH1
01-22-2013, 01:31 AM
http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/grammar_nazi.jpg?w=720

BlaZeQuietly
01-22-2013, 01:32 AM
D final answer

FrancoLambert
01-22-2013, 04:43 PM
The Steelers being salary cap strapped has really prevented them from the free agent game. Even mid level free agents. Ozzie Newsom has really done an excellent job in finding the right Free agents.

Vonta Leach FB
Anquan Boldin WR
Jacoby Jones WR/KR
Matt Birk C
Bryant McKinnie LT
Ma'ake Kemoeatu DT
Corey Graham CB
Bernard Pollard S

All have contributed big time to the season and the playoff run. Most importantly all have stayed healthy.

Hopefuly when the Steelers are a little less up against the cap they too can enjoy this kind of FA success.

I can't say the Ravens have drafted better then us though as none of their last 3 years number one picks have become regular starters
Courtney Upshaw
Jimmy Smith
Sergio Kindle

and before that Michael Oher has become a RT and not the LT they envisioned.

The Steelers in that time haven't lit it up but Decastro, Pouncey, and Hood are starters with more then likely two being perenial all pros and Cam Heyward is the heir to Keisel's starting spot.

I think you hit the nail right on the head.
They're more agressive in their pursuit of free agents who can really step in and contribute.
Ozzie's got a great record with those moves.

teegre
01-22-2013, 06:16 PM
1 24 (24) DeCastro, David G
2 24 (56) Adams, Mike OT
3 23 (86) Spence, Sean LB
4 14 (109) Ta'amu, Alameda DT
5 24 (159) Rainey, Chris RB
7 24 (231) Clemons, Toney WR
7 33 (240) Paulson, David TE
7 39 (246) Frederick, Terrence CB
7 41 (248) Beachum, Kelvin T

Obviously still too early to tell, but..

Two starting OL's with a solid any position OL backup (beachum)
Two possible starters on D with Spence and Ta'amu.
And a Solid backup TE that might progress into a starter.

I'd say its way to early to call bust and in fact looks like it could be pretty good.

Personally I'm extremely excited to see what Spence brings when/if healthy.

I agree 100%.

The past three drafts have been very, very good. Lots of contributors already, with the potential of 10-11 starters in the bunch... with 4-5 Pro-Bowl level players.

The FUTURE is very bright for the Steelers.

CONTRIBUTING ALREADY:
2012: DD, Adams, Beachum, Paulson... even Rainey & Ta'amu
2011: Heyward, Gilbert, Brown, Allen, Carter, Batch
2010: Pouncey, Worilds, Sanders, Sylvester, Dwyer, AB

FUTURE STARTERS (Pro-Bowler):
DD, Adams, Beachum, Spence, Heyward, Gilbert, Allen, Pouncey, AB...
...with Worilds, Carter, Sanders, & Dwyer being "possible" starters.

desertsteel
01-22-2013, 06:44 PM
I agree 100%.

The past three drafts have been very, very good. Lots of contributors already, with the potential of 10-11 starters in the bunch... with 4-5 Pro-Bowl level players.

The FUTURE is very bright for the Steelers.

CONTRIBUTING ALREADY:
2012: DD, Adams, Beachum, Paulson... even Rainey & Ta'amu
2011: Heyward, Gilbert, Brown, Allen, Carter, Batch
2010: Pouncey, Worilds, Sanders, Sylvester, Dwyer, AB

FUTURE STARTERS (Pro-Bowler):
DD, Adams, Beachum, Spence, Heyward, Gilbert, Allen, Pouncey, AB...
...with Worilds, Carter, Sanders, & Dwyer being "possible" starters.

I am very optimistic about DD, Adams and Beachum. What do you see in Spence that make you project him as a pro bowler? I sure hope you're right.

teegre
01-22-2013, 11:45 PM
I am very optimistic about DD, Adams and Beachum. What do you see in Spence that make you project him as a pro bowler? I sure hope you're right.

Spence reminds me a lot fo Hines Ward (but playing ILB).

Not the fastest; not the most athletic; not the biggest... but, he just "makes the play."

Spence rarely takes a wrong step. His angles of pursuit are excellent. Thus, he does not need to be the fastest, because he's already a step ahead of everyone else. (If one takes a step in the wrong direction, then one is already two steps behind.)

If you watch him, when the ball is snapped, he is almost already moving towards the tackle; he diagnoses that fast. His smarts set him apart. And, again, a step in the right direction puts him ahead of everyone else.

He is like Zach Thomas... only way better in pass coverage... and, well, just better in a lot of ways.

I had him pegged as a R3 steal... and never figured that the Steelers would take a shot at him (I figured that they'd go after a "big" ILB). I was very pleased when he was drafted. I see a career similar to that of London Fletcher (only with Pro-Bowl recognition... and, of course, Lombardis).

Fire Arians
01-23-2013, 12:18 AM
http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/32525/picard_WTF_is_this_shit-s300x266-70964-580.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQupsoOZXR2slUDo3zIpFkYteU6izCN9 f5hxPWTDf3wJ_kxCD8P

http://ozhouse.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/double_facepalm.jpg

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Ozzie Newsome has been doing a great job there for years. Look at the collection of talent and how they manage to draft and handle the cap.

Ed Reed, Ngata, Suggs, Lewis, Kruger, Ray Rice, Boldin, Vontae Leach, .....and the line in front of Flacco of Mckinnie, Oher, Yanda, Birk.

I would say the Ravens front office has been out doing the Steelers for some time now. Until the past 2 seasons the Steelers have been out performing the Rats on the field though. Stuff happens.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2013, 12:31 AM
Spence reminds me a lot fo Hines Ward (but playing ILB).

Not the fastest; not the most athletic; not the biggest... but, he just "makes the play."

Spence rarely takes a wrong step. His angles of pursuit are excellent. Thus, he does not need to be the fastest, because he's already a step ahead of everyone else. (If one takes a step in the wrong direction, then one is already two steps behind.)

If you watch him, when the ball is snapped, he is almost already moving towards the tackle; he diagnoses that fast. His smarts set him apart. And, again, a step in the right direction puts him ahead of everyone else.

He is like Zach Thomas... only way better in pass coverage... and, well, just better in a lot of ways.

I had him pegged as a R3 steal... and never figured that the Steelers would take a shot at him (I figured that they'd go after a "big" ILB). I was very pleased when he was drafted. I see a career similar to that of London Fletcher (only with Pro-Bowl recognition... and, of course, Lombardis).

Spence has decent speed and quickness. He just lacks the height and size. With his injury I think there is some question if he comes back to 100%.

The thing that I find amusing is that some have Arthur Brown slated for the Steelers, but he is basically a similar player as Spence. If Spence can get healthy, he should pair up with Timmons inside.

lloydwoodson
01-23-2013, 02:08 AM
Ozzie Newsome has been doing a great job there for years. Look at the collection of talent and how they manage to draft and handle the cap.

Ed Reed, Ngata, Suggs, Lewis, Kruger, Ray Rice, Boldin, Vontae Leach, .....and the line in front of Flacco of Mckinnie, Oher, Yanda, Birk.

I would say the Ravens front office has been out doing the Steelers for some time now. Until the past 2 seasons the Steelers have been out performing the Rats on the field though. Stuff happens.

Suggs is the most overrated player in the NFL. Allen, Ware or JPP got robbed of the DPOY last season. Suggs got all his sacks in a few games and most of the time he was shut out in 2011. Suggs got 9 sacks in 3 games and he got 5 sacks in 13 games. Starks OWNS Suggs. Suggs got 2 sacks this season in 8 starts.

Boldin is grossly overrated as well. Yes, he is having an excellent playoffs. He is basically a small tight end with good hands. He ran a 4.7 40 at his combine and he hasn't gotten faster. Tired of hearing how amazing this possession receiver who has 5 seasons with fewer than 5 touchdowns is.

Kruger is overrated also. Let's wait until he has a 10 sack season before we heap praise on him. Harrison had his 4 year career total in one season.

Lewis, Reed and Ngata are the core of that team. Leach and Rice are an awesome backfield. Flacco is clutch. I don't notice OL unless they screw up but the Ravens line isn't special.

This next part is completely unrelated to Gonzo- I don't disagree that the Ravens have a good front office but some of the other posts about the Ravens on this forum are unbelievably sycophantic.

I am getting nauseated by the fairweather Steelers fans praising our rival. The Steelers are a better team through and through. Better QB, better receivers and tight end, better d-line, better linebackers and better coaches. The Ravens have a better backfield and better o-line (not for long). The secondary is a tie- Corey Graham had a helluva season that was a nice pickup.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2013, 08:12 AM
. I don't notice OL unless they screw up but the Ravens line isn't special.

I beg to differ.

- McKinnie at LT is better than Starks and we should have gone after him.
-Oher at the other OT is a great pass protector and a mauler in run game.
-Osemele was a great draft pick- a guy that can play inside or RT
-Birk is a solid veteran, former pro bowler and centers that line well
-Yanda is reliable at guard and somebody we could have drafted in 2007 instead of Matt Spaeth.

If you look at how they protected vs the Broncos and Patriots, you would see they are a very good O line and maybe a top 10 unit.

teegre
01-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Spence has decent speed and quickness. He just lacks the height and size. With his injury I think there is some question if he comes back to 100%.

The thing that I find amusing is that some have Arthur Brown slated for the Steelers, but he is basically a similar player as Spence. If Spence can get healthy, he should pair up with Timmons inside.

Yea, that's essential what I was saying: he's not a speed-size guy and/or the physical specimen that Patrick Willis is... Spence is simply a great player.

Using my original analogy: Hines Ward was not the speed-size/physical specimen that Megatron is, but Hines was simply a great player. (Make sense?)

MasterOfPuppets
01-23-2013, 11:00 AM

really ? it took ozzie quite a few years to find a legit group of guys to throw the ball to.
receivers were to oz as oline were to colbert... always hoping to find a day 2 draft bargain instead of paying the full price to fill the huge hole in the roster
besides mark clayton i don't think he'd spent a top 2 pick on a receiver for 10 years.
i believe he thought he'd get 20 or 30 years outta heap and mason.

lloydwoodson
01-23-2013, 07:52 PM
I beg to differ.

- McKinnie at LT is better than Starks and we should have gone after him.
-Oher at the other OT is a great pass protector and a mauler in run game.
-Osemele was a great draft pick- a guy that can play inside or RT
-Birk is a solid veteran, former pro bowler and centers that line well
-Yanda is reliable at guard and somebody we could have drafted in 2007 instead of Matt Spaeth.

If you look at how they protected vs the Broncos and Patriots, you would see they are a very good O line and maybe a top 10 unit.

"When Starks is on the field, his play could be considered up and down. He took 483 pass blocking snaps at left tackle in 2011 and allowed six sacks, seven QB hits and 20 pressures, according to Pro Football Focus." Max Starks 2011.

"Pittsburgh Steelers LT Max Starks has played every offensive snap this season and allowed only 3.5 sacks." Max Starks 2012.

"McKinnie struggled at times in run blocking and was uneven in pass protection. He gave up nearly one-third of the Ravens' sacks (8.5 out of 31)." Bryant McKinnie 2011.

McKinnie dressed for all 16 games but did not start any in 2012 so you can't compare the two this season.

Max Starks cost 890 000 against the cap - McKinnie cost 4.2 million in 2012. That's a lot of money for sitting on the bench. I would rather have Max Starks personally.

Ray Rice ran for 40 yards on 20 carries in the first game vs the Steelers. That's not very good. Ravens gave up 5 sacks in the two games against the Steelers. Harrison's strip sack in the second game was a crucial turning point.

The Ravens offensive line is decent but I don't think it is special by any means.

Baltimore was 14th in the NFL in adjusted sack rate. Pittsburgh was 15th and I know that OL has not been special. Baltimore surrendered more sacks than the Steelers in 2012.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2013, 09:02 PM
"When Starks is on the field, his play could be considered up and down. He took 483 pass blocking snaps at left tackle in 2011 and allowed six sacks, seven QB hits and 20 pressures, according to Pro Football Focus." Max Starks 2011.

"Pittsburgh Steelers LT Max Starks has played every offensive snap this season and allowed only 3.5 sacks." Max Starks 2012.

"McKinnie struggled at times in run blocking and was uneven in pass protection. He gave up nearly one-third of the Ravens' sacks (8.5 out of 31)." Bryant McKinnie 2011.

McKinnie dressed for all 16 games but did not start any in 2012 so you can't compare the two this season.

Max Starks cost 890 000 against the cap - McKinnie cost 4.2 million in 2012. That's a lot of money for sitting on the bench. I would rather have Max Starks personally.

Ray Rice ran for 40 yards on 20 carries in the first game vs the Steelers. That's not very good. Ravens gave up 5 sacks in the two games against the Steelers. Harrison's strip sack in the second game was a crucial turning point.

The Ravens offensive line is decent but I don't think it is special by any means.

Baltimore was 14th in the NFL in adjusted sack rate. Pittsburgh was 15th and I know that OL has not been special. Baltimore surrendered more sacks than the Steelers in 2012.

So Haley's short passing game yielded less sacks and Flacco going deep to Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones might have got him sacked more. Watch McKinnie and Oher handle rushers compared to the Steelers OT's. Osemele is going to be good for a long time and Yanda has been solid since 2007.

Nothing special, but very talented Ravens O line and efficient IMO.

lloydwoodson
01-23-2013, 10:12 PM
So Haley's short passing game yielded less sacks and Flacco going deep to Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones might have got him sacked more. Watch McKinnie and Oher handle rushers compared to the Steelers OT's. Osemele is going to be good for a long time and Yanda has been solid since 2007.

Nothing special, but very talented Ravens O line and efficient IMO.

Ravens catches in 2012 Boldin 65, Rice 61, Pitta 61, Smith 49, Jones 30. The Ravens offense (and every other NFL offense) throws a lot more short passes than Haley detractors would like to admit.

The Steelers will have a chance to sign McKinnie- the Ravens aren't going to keep a 4 million dollar backup and I'm sure some team will take a chance on him based on the strength of 2 playoff games (provided he shuts down Aldon Smith).

austinfrench76
01-24-2013, 01:04 PM
No they didn't.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Ravens catches in 2012 Boldin 65, Rice 61, Pitta 61, Smith 49, Jones 30. The Ravens offense (and every other NFL offense) throws a lot more short passes than Haley detractors would like to admit.

The Steelers will have a chance to sign McKinnie- the Ravens aren't going to keep a 4 million dollar backup and I'm sure some team will take a chance on him based on the strength of 2 playoff games (provided he shuts down Aldon Smith).

So you are saying that the Ravens dont throw the ball on deeper patterns more often that the Steelers do? You are saying that the Steelers O line is just as good, if not better than the Ravens?

I have no Idea what you are trying to assert, other than you can find statistics to contradict anything that other posters say here.:noidea:

SteelerEmpire
01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
I knew this period would come. This team is "really" transitioning from Cowher's group of players and culture to Tomlin's. Time for coach T to step up so now and thus allowing us to see what he's really made of.

maddog78
01-25-2013, 01:06 PM
They've been ahead for some time. The only noticeable advantage we had was Ben over Flacco. That gap has narrowed.

Good thing about this Super Bowl is that Rooney has to suck on either SF tying his org in trophies, or his top rival winning one.

Either way it should motivate him back to football and out of politics for a while. Hopefully.