PDA

View Full Version : Flacco to be looking for $20M !!

TRH
01-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Flacco's contract is up and......
As reported by John Clayton on ESPN yesterday "Bad news for Baltimore fans.....Joe Flacco is looking for a deal in the $20 million dollar a year range minimum - very possibly MORE than that.."
His agent will be taking "the more than that" part to the team after beating a host of other elite QB's in this years playoff games.
There goes a big drain on your cap, Baltimore. Get ready - it's coming. Welcome to the party.

harrison'samonster
01-23-2013, 09:10 AM
OK, he's been really impressive in these playoffs, and the Ravens wouldn't be there without him, but $20 million a year, if I were the Ravens I'd let him walk. He'll kill that team.

BlaZeQuietly
01-23-2013, 12:20 PM
HA!

GMU Steeler
01-23-2013, 12:31 PM
I've probably underestimated Flacco in the past but he's not worth that much. He just isn't.

BleedPurple
01-23-2013, 12:49 PM
I've probably underestimated Flacco in the past but he's not worth that much. He just isn't.

Agreed. And based on the history, I don't think the Ravens will pay him that much. In the past they have only been willing to pay what a player is worth (Jets maybe should take note).

Most likely if they can't get a deal, they will franchise him next year, and with Ray, Ed, Kruger, Boldin, and others most likely being gone next season, we will be able to sign him for a reasonable price after what I am expecting to be a letdown season next year.

The_Joker
01-24-2013, 06:06 AM
In my opinion, the best NFL QB's go in this order *as of now*

Rodgers
P. Manning
Brady
Roethlisberger
Brees
E. Manning
Flacco
---------
RG3 (He's a badass ok?)

Notice how the players above Flaccid Dick don't make that money?

TRH
01-24-2013, 09:08 AM

Rodgers
P. Manning
Brady
Roethlisberger
Brees
E. Manning
Flacco
---------
RG3 (He's a badass ok?)

Well, the one thing is that every year, salaries go up a bit. In the last few (especially for franchise QB's), the cost has gone up DRAMATICALLY.

Be very - very glad that Ben signed his deal a few years back. If his contract was up this year like Flacco's - we'd be in for a serious hurtin' - because Ben's market value is actually much more than his current big contract is.

BleedPurple
01-24-2013, 12:06 PM

Rodgers
P. Manning
Brady
Roethlisberger
Brees
E. Manning
Flacco
---------
RG3 (He's a badass ok?)

I don't necessarily disagree with your list entirely, but if we are going off of value as of today and not based on their career, then I would have to put P. Manning and Big Ben below Flacco. They are old and banged up.

Also, in that list, who is in a contract year? Flacco. Also, of that list, who is still playing the 2012 season? Just Flacco.

I am predicting we will see somewhere in the area of 6 yrs $80M.

Fire Arians
01-24-2013, 12:19 PM
i hope they pay the man

SteelersCanada
01-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Flacco hasn't won a Super Bowl, can't consistently beat the Steelers despite having a third string Quarterback in and his signature play is throw-and-pray-there's-a-flag but is demanding 20 million a year? Is this guy kidding?

Rice means more to that offense than Flacco does.

harrison'samonster
01-24-2013, 01:16 PM
i hope they pay the man

I do too. He's gotten a lot better these last few years, but taking that much money away from the team will really hurt them. They'd be crazy to give him that much.

Edman
01-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Pay the man, Baltimore.

torpedoshell31
01-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Can Flacco really play his 4th great game in a row? Throughout his career at least once a month he has one of those 0.3 QBR games. He is overdue to have one on Super Sunday.

Fire Arians
01-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Can Flacco really play his 4th great game in a row? Throughout his career at least once a month he has one of those 0.3 QBR games. He is overdue to have one on Super Sunday.

with patrick willis and aldon smith all up in his grill i can see that happening

mikegrimey
01-24-2013, 07:17 PM
This is just a "report" and we all know how reliable those always are, I won't assume Flacco is demanding anything just yet.

Anyway, if they win the SB he's probably in for a ridiculous payday but does anyone, ravens front office included, think he's worth Brees, Brady, or Rogers money?

harrison'samonster
01-24-2013, 07:23 PM
This is just a "report" and we all know how reliable those always are, I won't assume Flacco is demanding anything just yet.

Anyway, if they win the SB he's probably in for a ridiculous payday but does anyone, ravens front office included, think he's worth Brees, Brady, or Rogers money?

He's definitely going to be seeing a pay raise, and he deserves it. He might be the only one who thinks he deserves 20 million though. Remembering he is a self-claimed elite QB, dreams of a SB victory can only be feeding his delusions.

mikegrimey
01-24-2013, 07:36 PM
I can't fault him for calling himself elite
I wouldn't want to employ a QB who thinks lowly of himself

NSMaster56
01-24-2013, 07:44 PM
In a league lacking 'elite' QB's and on the wings of a trip to the SB it makes perfect sense for Flacco to ask for whatever he wants.

Unless the Ravens want to go back to the Grbac/Banks/Boller merry-go-round, they'll pay.

stb_steeler
01-24-2013, 07:45 PM
I do too. He's gotten a lot better these last few years, but taking that much money away from the team will really hurt them. They'd be crazy to give him that much.

Kind of like Ben took money away from the team...:wink02:

Blackout
01-25-2013, 03:15 PM
They should cut him like Dilfer.

dez09231
01-26-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't necessarily disagree with your list entirely, but if we are going off of value as of today and not based on their career, then I would have to put P. Manning and Big Ben below Flacco. They are old and banged up.

Also, in that list, who is in a contract year? Flacco. Also, of that list, who is still playing the 2012 season? Just Flacco.

I am predicting we will see somewhere in the area of 6 yrs $80M.

How conveniantly everyone forgets how mediocre and streaky Joe Flacco is.

SteelersCanada
02-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Big Ben below Flacco? Uh, yeah, that makes sense in fucking bizarro world. People keep heaping on the praise that Flacco won a playoff game in his first 5 seasons. Well, that's fantastic. I'm very, very happy for Joey. Ben won two Super Bowls in his first five years and thus earned his big paycheck that the Steelers gave to him.

Flacco is the definition of inconsistent and streaky. His key play is throw-it-and-pray-for-PI which doesn't scream 'elite' or '100 million dollars' to me. He's average with a ridiculous supporting cast including a top 5 RB and receivers with fantastic hands. When he plays against a great - nay, good - secondary he falls apart.

Saying that Ben, who had better stats in every single statistical category except yardage and that was only because he played 13 games, is some how below Flacco in terms of the Quarterback totem pole makes you look ridiculous. I know you're a Ravens fan and you're supporting your Quarterback, but that's like Steelers fans saying Dwyer and Redman are a better 1 - 2 punch than Rice and Pierce. Or, Wallace is a better receiver than AJ Green.

All of that might be besides the point, though, as Flacco is being selfish. He's asking for 20 / year when Reed is in his contract year and Lewis and Birk are both retiring. I'm sorry, who is going to replace their starting Center and ILB for next year? More to the point, who's going to replace Ed Reed in that secondary? Reed may have lost a step, but him and Troy are still in the top 3 for best Safeties in the league and if Ozzie does decide that Flacco is worth what he's asking, the Ravens are going to be fucked in terms of cap space. He's putting himself above the team right now and we've seen what happens when players - and more importantly, Quarterbacks - do that. Teams struggle.

steeltheone
02-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Flacco win or lose could not have had better timing to get on a streak!!

SteelersCanada
02-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Joe Flacco’s agent says he should be league’s highest paid QB

Posted by Curtis Crabtree

Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco has made the playoffs in each of his five seasons in the NFL and now has a Super Bowl ring and MVP award under his belt as well.

According to Brian A. Shactman of CNBC, Flacco’s agent, Joe Linta, will be looking to leverage that success into a massive payday for his client. Linta told Shactman he believes Flacco should be the highest paid quarterback in the NFL.

“When you do a contract of this magnitude, you look at what is the player’s body of work presently,” Linta said. “And what are the expectations going forward over the next four, five or six years.

“Joe wins on both accounts.”

In order for that to become a reality, the Ravens will need to pay Flacco at least $20 million a year. Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning made $18 million this season while New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees averages $20 million a year.

As Shactman points out, Flacco has won as many Super Bowls as Manning and Brees and is the youngest quarterback of the group. Linta is likely to make the argument that Flacco has accomplished just as much as Manning and Brees and is just entering the prime of his career.

It appears likely the Ravens will have to use the exclusive franchise tag on Flacco in order to ensure he will remain with the Ravens next season. A deal of this size likely will not be completed by the deadline to designate franchise players on March 4. The franchise tag alone would likely bring $20 million a year to Flacco.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/05/joe-flaccos-agent-says-he-should-be-leagues-highest-paid-qb/

-- hahahahahahhahahahahhahahahaahahhaahahahahahahahaa hahahahaahahahahahahaahah.

Sorry, that's the funniest shit I've read in a long time. I understand his agent is just saying this to get a lucrative deal, but Flacco should tell his agent to shut his mouth in the public eye. Saying this like this gets PR for all the wrong reasons. I honestly think Ozzie knows better than to give Flacco 20+, but I really hope he does. The owner might be pushing for him to do it, but Joe isn't even a top 10 Quarterback in the NFL. Look at his regular season numbers then compare those to the guys that are making 20+ and tell me he's even in the same ballpark in terms of talent that those guys are. It's a bad joke.

GMU Steeler
02-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Joe Flacco’s agent says he should be league’s highest paid QB

Posted by Curtis Crabtree

Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco has made the playoffs in each of his five seasons in the NFL and now has a Super Bowl ring and MVP award under his belt as well.

According to Brian A. Shactman of CNBC, Flacco’s agent, Joe Linta, will be looking to leverage that success into a massive payday for his client. Linta told Shactman he believes Flacco should be the highest paid quarterback in the NFL.

“When you do a contract of this magnitude, you look at what is the player’s body of work presently,” Linta said. “And what are the expectations going forward over the next four, five or six years.

“Joe wins on both accounts.”

In order for that to become a reality, the Ravens will need to pay Flacco at least $20 million a year. Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning made $18 million this season while New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees averages $20 million a year.

As Shactman points out, Flacco has won as many Super Bowls as Manning and Brees and is the youngest quarterback of the group. Linta is likely to make the argument that Flacco has accomplished just as much as Manning and Brees and is just entering the prime of his career.

It appears likely the Ravens will have to use the exclusive franchise tag on Flacco in order to ensure he will remain with the Ravens next season. A deal of this size likely will not be completed by the deadline to designate franchise players on March 4. The franchise tag alone would likely bring $20 million a year to Flacco.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/05/joe-flaccos-agent-says-he-should-be-leagues-highest-paid-qb/

-- hahahahahahhahahahahhahahahaahahhaahahahahahahahaa hahahahaahahahahahahaahah.

Sorry, that's the funniest shit I've read in a long time. I understand his agent is just saying this to get a lucrative deal, but Flacco should tell his agent to shut his mouth in the public eye. Saying this like this gets PR for all the wrong reasons. I honestly think Ozzie knows better than to give Flacco 20+, but I really hope he does. The owner might be pushing for him to do it, but Joe isn't even a top 10 Quarterback in the NFL. Look at his regular season numbers then compare those to the guys that are making 20+ and tell me he's even in the same ballpark in terms of talent that those guys are. It's a bad joke.
Can't wait to see how this all folds out.

MasterOfPuppets
02-06-2013, 12:21 PM
flacco's "body of work" isn't just the last 4 games he's played.
fact is he's very inconsistent from week to week. he's lucky to complete 60% of his passes. (58.7 % in 2012) his passer rating is UNDER 90 the past year and for his career.

GMU Steeler
02-06-2013, 12:28 PM
flacco's "body of work" isn't just the last 4 games he's played.
fact is he's very inconsistent from week to week. he's lucky to complete 60% of his passes. (58.7 % in 2012) his passer rating is UNDER 90 the past year and for his career.

His home-road splits are pretty interesting too. I admit, he does seem to turn it on in the playoffs but he's not worth the best QB in the league kind of money. It will also be interesting to see what he does without Boldin and it's my understanding Jacoby Jones is a FA too.Newsome's in a tough spot right here though. He knows how hard it is to find a reliable QB but he knows he can't cripple the Ravens salary situation either. Should be interesting to watch since Flacco's camp has leverage but Newsome is also a smart dude too.

MasterOfPuppets
02-06-2013, 12:58 PM
His home-road splits are pretty interesting too. I admit, he does seem to turn it on in the playoffs but he's not worth the best QB in the league kind of money. It will also be interesting to see what he does without Boldin and it's my understanding Jacoby Jones is a FA too.Newsome's in a tough spot right here though. He knows how hard it is to find a reliable QB but he knows he can't cripple the Ravens salary situation either. Should be interesting to watch since Flacco's camp has leverage but Newsome is also a smart dude too.

he does seem to turn it on in the playoffs

up untill this season there's no truth to that whatsoever.

miami - 9-23-135 yds...0 tds
tenn - 11-22- 161 yds....1 td
pitt - 13-30-141 yds....0 td

NE - 4-10-34 yds...0 td
indy - 20-35-189 yds....0 td

KC - 25-34-265 yds....2 tds
pitt - 16-30-125 yds.......1 td

hou - 14-27-176 yds .....2 tds
NE - 22-36-306........2 tds

whats so impressive here ? :noidea: the fact that he gets credit for a win while only completing 4 passes ? or the fact that they won 3 playoff games with flacco only throwing 1 td in those 3 games?

GMU Steeler
02-06-2013, 01:09 PM
up untill this season there's no truth to that whatsoever.

miami - 9-23-135 yds...0 tds
tenn - 11-22- 161 yds....1 td
pitt - 13-30-141 yds....0 td

NE - 4-10-34 yds...0 td
indy - 20-35-189 yds....0 td

KC - 25-34-265 yds....2 tds
pitt - 16-30-125 yds.......1 td

hou - 14-27-176 yds .....2 tds
NE - 22-36-306........2 tds

whats so impressive here ? :noidea: the fact that he gets credit for a win while only completing 4 passes ? or the fact that they won 3 playoff games with flacco only throwing 1 td in those 3 games?

True enough. Just saying, he does have some leverage with this current run. Which is fine by me because I think he's going to make the Ravens overpay him big time.

zcoop
02-06-2013, 11:31 PM
True enough. Just saying, he does have some leverage with this current run. Which is fine by me because I think he's going to make the Ravens overpay him big time.

He's got a lot of fucking leverage and he should use it. He just lead a team to a SB, won MVP and was one pass short from being in it last year. I don't like the ratbirds but I have to give the guy credit for his play. Market value is not overpaying either. Did we overpay Ben when we signed him to his 100 mil+ contract years ago?

Come on folks, stop the hate.

MasterOfPuppets
02-06-2013, 11:51 PM
He's got a lot of fucking leverage and he should use it. He just lead a team to a SB, won MVP and was one pass short from being in it last year. I don't like the ratbirds but I have to give the guy credit for his play. Market value is not overpaying either. Did we overpay Ben when we signed him to his 100 mil+ contract years ago?

hate ? no hatin here..:noidea: hell i hope he cons 25 million a season out of ozzy. every dime that they pay joe cool takes away from the rest of the team ...:thumbsup:
all i've done was point out facts. the facts are that up until the playoffs joe cool was considered a second tier slightly better than average qb by EVERYONE including most raven fans. if market dictates that that the ratbirds forget about the 5 years of sub 90 qb ratings and focus only on his last 4 games ... then by all means :tt03:

what did flacco do in the second half of the super bowl while SF was making a comeback ?....all i remember was a 30 yd hail mary to bolden...:noidea:

jacobo
02-07-2013, 10:14 AM
When only one player is making $20 mil and it's a guy who's put up good numbers throughout the years AND have won a superbowl, they certainly aren't using his market value. I really really really doubt he'd get anything close to that if he tested free agency. Ravens just being short sighted and it's going to hurt them bad when they can't sign anybody to help him.

GMU Steeler
02-07-2013, 12:23 PM

No hate here, I consider him a top 8 QB easily. I just don't think he merits the pay of a top tier QB. But he did what he had to do this postseason for sure.

Blackout
02-07-2013, 10:15 PM
If this fucks over the Ravens, let him have 20 mil a year. I hope it gives them cap hell and the (un)-ability to retain talented players.

Go ahead Baltimore, please.

Not that I don't like competition, but hey if they suck for years I'm happy.:thumbsup:

TRH
02-08-2013, 12:32 PM
He'll get the money. At minimum, Baltimore will franchise him and he'll make $20 mil. Then they'll work out a long-term deal.

It's great for Flacco - he'll get paid and paid a TON of money.
But its bad for the city & fans of Baltimore in the end - they're going to have to dump talent elsewhere. Look what happened in New Orleans - the greedy Drew Brees took all the money for himself and as godawful as their defense was last year, they STILL have to purge due to cap issues w/the Brees contract putting a huge strain on the team.
Unfortunately, thats where the market is headed - it's going to get harder and harder to field teams like the Ravens had last year that were strong across the board - RB, QB, WR's, everywhere on defense, etc. Those days are going bye-bye.

Thank god Ben's contract was already signed a few years ago. Can you imagine what he's be up for today if his contract was due? There would be another 20, 22+ miillion a year....

JeromeBetties63
02-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Posts I expect to see in the Ravens forum next season:

1. The $20 million man just threw three picks and cost us the game!
2. We paid this guy $20 and he quit on us.
3. New $20 million dollar suit....same old Joe Flacco
4. Really? 9-7? Way to earn your $20 million, Joe.
5. How can a guy making $20 million lose to the Steelers......twice?

harrison'samonster
02-08-2013, 01:20 PM

very nice.

6. $20 million dollars and he only moves the ball when the refs call Pass Interference

stb_steeler
02-08-2013, 01:27 PM

We hear the same thing about our team lol....

Fire Arians
02-08-2013, 01:43 PM
they should sign him, then also pay 15m a year to sign mike wallace while they're at it

cause we all know, joe flacco is elite, and mike deserves fitzgerald money!

harrison'samonster
02-08-2013, 01:45 PM
they should sign him, then also pay 15m a year to sign mike wallace while they're at it

cause we all know, joe flacco is elite, and mike deserves fitzgerald money!

That would be too perfect.

fer522
02-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Shit i hope he get 40 mil

GoFor7
02-09-2013, 10:50 PM
So if Flacco actually does get more than $20 million, then the Packers better start hoping Aaron Rodgers is in a charitable mood when they work out a new contract for him.

Blacksburg Zach
02-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Joe Flacco should get whatever room the Ravens have left in their salary cap and probably more. He is the best quarterback in the NFL after all. At least, that is what he and his agent believe.

GoFor7
02-10-2013, 01:12 AM
Joe Flacco should get whatever room the Ravens have left in their salary cap and probably more. He is the best quarterback in the NFL after all. At least, that is what he and his agent believe.

He's got the hype surrounding him right now. We'll see how long it lasts and if he's worth it in the long run.

Would anyone pay Eli Manning $20 million a year?

BleedPurple
02-12-2013, 01:34 AM

He was the best in the last month. List of QBs with 11 TDs / 0 ints in a post season run:

1. Joe Montana
2. Joe Flacco

oops I ran out of QBs. The guy put together an historic run. Whether I like it or not they are backing up the Brinks truck for this guy as we speak. Will he sustain this level of dominance? Of course not, but in this league it is "what have you done for me lately".

*sigh* goodbye Boldin, Kruger, Reed, at LEAST. . .

:doh:

NSMaster56
02-12-2013, 09:17 PM

Yeah, that sucks for the Ravens, but look on the bright side: at least you got your ring.

It would be FAR worse if the Ravens paid top-dollar for Flacco had he NOT gone on a historic run and helped win a SB.

SteelersCanada
02-12-2013, 09:54 PM

Shhh! Don't say that kind of stuff on these boards! People think Flacco is the next coming of Christ on here. You're upsetting a lot of Steelers fans.

TRH
02-15-2013, 10:26 AM
The best thing for the Steelers is if the Ravens DO pay him 20+ million - which i have a feeling they are going to do. At the very least they'll franchise him this year ($20 mil), plus in the meantime a long-term deal will get done.
Then its binge and purge. Super-talented players such as Kruger will be almost 100% sure to leave, as well as others. Can't pay everyone. Cap space, man, cap space. This is great news for division rivals.

WVABE
02-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Damn right, pay that man he's on top of the world.

They'd be fools not to give him 20 mil a year,

he'll be right back next year. Pay the man.

Buddha Bus
02-15-2013, 05:59 PM
The Ravens should let him walk and sign this guy.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-m3CuZLWIsQM/TgkZIjCr8rI/AAAAAAAANv0/YLE1oLbmyvw/s1600/dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

They'd save a cool $19 million AND he's handsomer.

JeromeBetties63
02-18-2013, 05:33 PM
He was the best in the last month. List of QBs with 11 TDs / 0 ints in a post season run:

1. Joe Montana
2. Joe Flacco

oops I ran out of QBs. The guy put together an historic run. Whether I like it or not they are backing up the Brinks truck for this guy as we speak. Will he sustain this level of dominance? Of course not, but in this league it is "what have you done for me lately".

Ya, and he went 1-4 in the five games before that. It was a great run, it all came together....but none of this is being talked about without the bonehead play by the Denver D. That's the nature of the NFL. Let's be honest, there was tons of doubt about Joe Flacco in Ravenland after that terrible finish to the regular season. And not even most of the homers were expecting the Ravens or Flacco to go on that run. Mostly there was a bunch of vitriol being spewed at the team by their own fans. Up until this run, Joe had not proved his doubters wrong. Quite frankly (and I'm not referring to Steeler fans here),, a lot of people are still gonna be doubting him.

BleedPurple
02-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Ya, and he went 1-4 in the five games before that. It was a great run, it all came together....but none of this is being talked about without the bonehead play by the Denver D. That's the nature of the NFL. Let's be honest, there was tons of doubt about Joe Flacco in Ravenland after that terrible finish to the regular season. And not even most of the homers were expecting the Ravens or Flacco to go on that run. Mostly there was a bunch of vitriol being spewed at the team by their own fans. Up until this run, Joe had not proved his doubters wrong. Quite frankly (and I'm not referring to Steeler fans here),, a lot of people are still gonna be doubting him.

I am doubting that he is Joe Montana. . . that is a healthy, reasonable doubt. But for the right price, I don't have any doubts about Joe. Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that the right price will be on the table after the superbowl run.

P.S. I won't make apologies about Joe Flacco taking advantage of poor coverage by Denver. His ability to recognize and exploit poor coverage is a benefit. People call that play a hail mary, but I don't really see it that way, we still have 40 seconds on the clock and generally in a hail mary there are more bodies downfield. This was Joe throwing into double coverage and letting Jacoby make a play.

harrison'samonster
02-24-2013, 07:59 PM
rumors that Flacco will be tagged at Rotoworld

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/256348/rumors-swirling-that-ravens-will-tag-flacco?rw=1

SteelersCanada
02-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Patriots, Tom Brady agree to three-year, $27 million extension

Posted by Michael David Smith

Tom Brady has a new contract with the Patriots, and it’s a rare instance of a high-profile player’s contract being notable for not breaking the bank.

According to Peter King of Sports Illustrated, Brady has agreed to a deal that adds three years to his commitment to the Patriots, while paying him $27 million in additional money. He’s now locked up through the 2017 season, when he’ll be 40 years old.

King reports that Brady will get a $3 million signing bonus immediately and will play for base salaries of $7 million in 2015, $8 million in 2016 and $9 million in 2017.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/25/patriots-tom-brady-agree-to-three-year-27-million-extension/

-- Want Brady money, Joey? I'm sure Ozzie would agree to this kind of deal. :wink02:

steelax04
02-25-2013, 08:33 PM

Tom Brady has a new contract with the Patriots, and it’s a rare instance of a high-profile player’s contract being notable for not breaking the bank.

According to Peter King of Sports Illustrated, Brady has agreed to a deal that adds three years to his commitment to the Patriots, while paying him $27 million in additional money. He’s now locked up through the 2017 season, when he’ll be 40 years old.

King reports that Brady will get a $3 million signing bonus immediately and will play for base salaries of $7 million in 2015, $8 million in 2016 and $9 million in 2017.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/25/patriots-tom-brady-agree-to-three-year-27-million-extension/

-- Want Brady money, Joey? I'm sure Ozzie would agree to this kind of deal. :wink02:

Brady knows where his best chance at a ring is and wants to make sure there's enough money to get/keep weapons. Flacco just wants his payday.

zcoop
02-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Brady knows where his best chance at a ring is and wants to make sure there's enough money to get/keep weapons. Flacco just wants his payday.

I don't blame him. Brady has already gotten paid, this is his third time at the table. The last one was worth 72mil with 48mil guaranteed including a signing bonus. He doesn't need the money. Good old Joey hasn't gotten paid yet, I ain't mad at him trying to get paid.

Ishkabibble
02-26-2013, 12:06 PM
I don't blame him. Brady has already gotten paid, this is his third time at the table. The last one was worth 72mil with 48mil guaranteed including a signing bonus. He doesn't need the money. Good old Joey hasn't gotten paid yet, I ain't mad at him trying to get paid.

Can't fault Flacco at all; very different circumstances, not the least of which is Brady's 35 and Flacco's 27. Unique situation for sure; Brady's already rich and has a wife that is staggeringly wealthy. Nontheless, I don't see a lot of athletes (pretty much none) that'll step up to do this for the betterment of the team. Peyton was rich too; he got something like 5yrs./$94M.

Atlanta Dan
02-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Mike Preston of The Baltimore Sun does not want to break the bank to pay Flacco

The Ravens are being smart and very cautious in their negotiations with star quarterback Joe Flacco.

So far, they haven't caved in to the demands of Flacco's agent, Joe Linta, who says Flacco should be paid as much as Peyton Manning and Drew Brees, who are averaging more than $20 million per season....

Flacco isn't a Manning or a Brees, or a Tom Brady, either. In those particular situations, you risk losing other big-name players and pay the quarterbacks astronomical salaries because they are that good.

Flacco isn't....

I understand Linta's request. He is basically a no-name trying to make a big splash in the agent market by securing a big-money contract for Flacco.:chuckle:...

Somehow, the Ravens have to find a way to pacify Flacco and his agent with a deal that publicly sounds as good as the ones signed by Manning and Brees but doesn't quite pay as much.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-preston-ravens-column-0226-20130225,0,6156810.column

Vis
02-26-2013, 03:33 PM

Update - the signing bonus was 30 mil not 3 mil. It was a discount but a very slight discount.

Buddha Bus
02-26-2013, 05:18 PM

And we can't forget Marsha's endorsement deals either. He's not hurting for cash at all.

Hell, Michael Jordan made fat stacks mostly on endorsement deals and his NBA contract was just chump change for the tables in Vegas in comparison. I'm sure Tommy's situation is similar.

mikegrimey
02-26-2013, 07:25 PM

I agree, his stock has never, and may never, be higher, he'd be acting against his long term interests to not try to get a big pay day now... But the ravens have historically been smart w their money, I'm interested to see what kind of a contract hell get

sluggermatt15
02-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Flacco had a great year and he capped it off with a SB Championship. Considering he won the SB, he was in a contract year, and the fact he had several records in the playoffs, I think he expects to get the big $. If you're the Ravens I think you don't really have a choice, and you have to pay him. I don't think the contract will come down to $, but rather years.

I remember Ben received a big contract after he won the SB and it was for 7-years. Not saying Ben isn't as good as he was, but his production is down a little bit, and I would think the Steelers may have liked for that deal to be for 4 or 5 years instead of 7. I believe the Ravens will be more frugal with the contract length here than the amount of $ they pay Joe Flacco.

mikegrimey
02-26-2013, 09:12 PM
I think Roethlisbeeger got his big contract after the 07 season, his best statistically at the time, but one year before we won the Super Bowl.

tony hipchest
03-01-2013, 06:38 PM
SiriusXM NFL Radio

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports is reporting Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco has agreed to a new contract in Baltimore and will sign the deal on Monday. Raven fans, excited to have your guy locked up for years to come?? The rest of you NFL fans... scared?

no be escared... its still fluke-o.

SteelersCanada
03-01-2013, 06:47 PM
C'mon 20+ million!

tony hipchest
03-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Bert is now the highest paid player in teh history of the NFL, according to reports.

:rofl:

harrison'samonster
03-01-2013, 06:56 PM
I don't even know what to say. Hope the Ravens get what they deserve!

Neil-Still-Rules-14
03-01-2013, 07:09 PM
The highest paid quarterback in the history of the NFL. Wow.

SteelersCanada
03-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Report: Flacco’s deal is worth more than $120 million over six years

Posted by Mike Florio

Agent Joe Linta wanted quarterback Joe Flacco to be the highest-paid quarterback in football.

On the surface, Flacco will be.

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, the deal covers six year, with a payout in excess of $120 million.

It’s unclear how much the deal will exceed $120 million. To surpass Drew Brees‘ $20 million annual average, it won’t need to exceed $120 million by much.

We proposed something along these lines last week — six years, and just over $120 million.

Still, the structure is unclear. How big is the signing bonus? How much is fully guaranteed? How much is guaranteed for injury only? What is the three-year payout?

Those answers may not come until the contract is signed and filed with the league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/01/report-flaccos-deal-is-worth-more-than-120-million-over-six-years/

Aahahahaahahahaahahahahaahahahahaahhahahahahaha.

NSMaster56
03-01-2013, 08:41 PM
While this isn't unexpected, it's amazing how the Ravens didn't take notice from years of the Steelers facing cap woes post-Big Ben signing.

One thing is for sure now, 'elite' or not, Flacco is going to have to earn that money and that means one thing and one thing only: do or do not, there is no try.

TRH
03-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Raven's fans should not be celebrating this evening.
Now, they'll have to say "goodbye, Kruger" (in my opinion, they're best and most valuable free agent), and goodbye to this and goodbye to that.

Welcome to salary cap hell. You can't have it all.
Winner : Flacco himself (and his agent)
Losers : the rest of the team and the Baltimore fans (the honest truth is that Flacco is good - but not even nearly that good...end of story).

Blacksburg Zach
03-01-2013, 09:18 PM
So, Flacco got what he wanted, after all. Now he'll have to go out and prove that all that money he got was well spent.

RavenManiac
03-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Raven's fans should not be celebrating this evening.
Now, they'll have to say "goodbye, Kruger" (in my opinion, they're best and most valuable free agent), and goodbye to this and goodbye to that.

Welcome to salary cap hell. You can't have it all.
Winner : Flacco himself (and his agent)
Losers : the rest of the team and the Baltimore fans (the honest truth is that Flacco is good - but not even nearly that good...end of story).

Not sure there was ever any chance we could keep Kruger, but this deal increases the chance not decreases it.

Flacco's cap number for 2013 will likely be less than $10M (maybe a few million less than that), whereas the non-exclusive tag would have been $14.6M, and the exclusive tag $18M+.

I think we lose Kruger, we keep Ellerbe, we keep Jacoby Jones. Boldin is iffy, I know we want to keep him, but we may try to reduce his cap number through an extension/restructure. Ed Reed will get the Ray Lewis treatment from a couple years back and be told to test the market and come back to us. We will let him walk if the price is too high, imo.

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Not sure there was ever any chance we could keep Kruger, but this deal increases the chance not decreases it.

Flacco's cap number for 2013 will likely be less than $10M (maybe a few million less than that), whereas the non-exclusive tag would have been $14.6M, and the exclusive tag $18M+.

doubt it....i'd say his deal probably looks about the same as drew's....

Brees and the Saints (http://www.nfl.com/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO) reached an agreement Friday (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d82a8738f) on the terms of a new deal, which includes $60 million in guaranteed money and a $37 million signing bonus. Brees will earn $40 million in the first year of the contract, and the $20 million yearly average salary makes it the NFL's richest.
The deal gives the Saints (http://www.nfl.com/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO) flexibility in the short term. With the bonuses counting against the cap on a pro-rated basis over the life of the contract -- $7.4 million per year in Brees' case -- Brees will only count $10.4 million against the Saints (http://www.nfl.com/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO)' salary cap in 2012.

RavenManiac
03-01-2013, 10:32 PM
doubt it....i'd say his deal probably looks about the same as drew's....

Brees counted $10.4 against the cap. And that was because they had more room than us.

I am hearing rumors the 2013 cap number for Flacco will be $7M. Consisting of $1M base salary and 1/5th (proration) of a $30M signing bonus. I suspect there is some kind of option/roster bonus or guaranteed base salary in future years if this rumor is true, because the guaranteed money almost has to be more than $30M (even if not by too much).

We'll see.

tony hipchest
03-02-2013, 12:35 AM
ozzie is no dummy.

basically this deal will be akin to slapping flacco with the franchise tag twice, and give the ravens an easy out when he falls back to earth.

...meanwhile, flacco's infantile ego can be stroked to the tune of a T-Rex beating off! :jerkit:

JeromeBetties63
03-02-2013, 07:55 PM
c
P.S. I won't make apologies about Joe Flacco taking advantage of poor coverage by Denver. His ability to recognize and exploit poor coverage is a benefit. People call that play a hail mary, but I don't really see it that way, we still have 40 seconds on the clock and generally in a hail mary there are more bodies downfield. This was Joe throwing into double coverage and letting Jacoby make a play.

Fair enough...but I think its also fair to say that it succeeds less than 10% of the time...maybe less than 5%. And if it doesn't happen...but it did, and the rest is history. That's why the NFL remains the #1 sport.

mikegrimey
03-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Fair enough...but I think its also fair to say that it succeeds less than 10% of the time...maybe less than 5%. And if it doesn't happen...but it did, and the rest is history. That's why the NFL remains the #1 sport.

Nah, Flacco can throw the bomb, it's one of his biggest strengths, the guy has a ridiculous strong arm, great at those sideline deep balls

JeromeBetties63
03-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Nah, Flacco can throw the bomb, it's one of his biggest strengths, the guy has a ridiculous strong arm, great at those sideline deep balls

Ya, but in that particular situation where its the only play and you have to have it right then....the odds are very, very low....for Joe Flacco or Joe Montana or Joe Namath or even Dan Marino.

BleedPurple
03-07-2013, 03:31 AM
ozzie is no dummy.

basically this deal will be akin to slapping flacco with the franchise tag twice, and give the ravens an easy out when he falls back to earth.

...meanwhile, flacco's infantile ego can be stroked to the tune of a T-Rex beating off! :jerkit:

This was my exact thought Tony, can't really lose. If he plays up to the contract, that means we have a ridiculous QB, and if he doesn't, the cap hit in the first 2 years is LOWER than if we franchise tag him.

In short, this is going to let us do a deal with Flacco in a year he is NOT superbowl MVP.

JonM229
03-07-2013, 01:55 PM
In short, this is going to let us do a deal with Flacco in a year he is NOT superbowl MVP.

But what happens when, in two years from now, Flacco has added two more Super Bowl MVPs?

A guy can dream, can't he?

Buddha Bus
03-07-2013, 03:34 PM
But what happens when, in two years from now, Flacco has added two more Super Bowl MVPs?

To what.... his invitee list for his free agency party once the Ravens figure out what a horrible mistake they made and cut him? :noidea:

steelax04
03-07-2013, 03:45 PM
This was my exact thought Tony, can't really lose. If he plays up to the contract, that means we have a ridiculous QB, and if he doesn't, the cap hit in the first 2 years is LOWER than if we franchise tag him.

If they do a trade year three, does the prorated signing bonus come back to bite the Ravens in the ass? Probably more of a general question than just to you BP.

Ozzie is no dummy, but this deal seems too big to not hurt the Ravens in some way.

steelax04
03-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Value Of U.S. Dollar Plummets After Joe Flacco Signs NFL's Richest Contract

BALTIMORE—Economists expressed shock this week as the value of the U.S. dollar plunged by more than 98 percent after Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco signed the NFL’s richest contract.

Flacco, who was ranked 19th in the NFL for completion percentage during the 2012 season, received a six-year, $120.6 million deal, abruptly triggering the most catastrophic collapse of U.S. currency in American history.

“Unfortunately, the discouraging reports that Joe Flacco is now the highest-paid player in the NFL have had a devastating impact on U.S. exchange rates,” said chairman of the Federal Reserve Ben Bernanke, chastising the Ravens for the disastrous and irresponsible financial mistake that severely crippled the purchasing power of the dollar. “It was an ill-advised and reckless move to pay that much money to a quarterback who has never been selected to a Pro Bowl.”

“The Baltimore Ravens have single-handedly made the dollar worthless,” added Bernanke.

The Federal Reserve confirmed the value of the dollar was pummeled by Flacco’s $29 million signing bonus, which alone made the U.S. currency less valuable than the Indonesian rupiah and the Tanzanian shilling. In addition, global anxiety over specific details of the agreement, which included $52 million in guaranteed money for a quarterback who threw fewer touchdowns in 2012 than Josh Freeman, Andy Dalton, and Tony Romo, has thrown world markets into chaos.

The deal, which pays Flacco $62 million in the first three years, has already significantly increased the price of imports, caused astronomical inflation, and prompted panicked foreign governments to frantically move their currency reserves away from the U.S. dollar.

“It’s heartbreaking that one horribly misguided decision by the Ravens resulted in the decimation of 401(k) accounts, stocks, bonds, and pension funds for millions of hardworking Americans,” said White House economist Alan Krueger. “I still can’t believe they risked the financial well-being of so many people by paying Flacco more than Drew Brees.”

“Flacco just chucks every ball up for grabs and lucks out whenever his receivers catch one of his shitty throws,” added Krueger. “No wonder my pack of gum cost $850 yesterday.”

With the dollar significantly weakened and valued at almost nothing, NFL general managers reportedly feared that the unprecedented decline in U.S. currency could have major consequences on free agency and contract extensions for players who are more talented, athletic, and consistent than Joe Flacco.

At press time, the Green Bay Packers were reportedly finalizing a six-year, $989 trillion deal with quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/value-of-us-dollar-plummets-after-joe-flacco-signs,31571/