PDA

View Full Version : No chance Ike gets cut

LayingTheWoodley56
01-24-2013, 06:38 AM
I saw just now in another post someone talking about the possibility of cutting Ike loose.

In my opinion this is highly unlikely and would be a boneheaded decision on the part of the FO (not that there's any evidence that their thinking that way). Ike has been a reliable #1 for several years now and he played well through the middle part of this season before his injury.

Furthermore, with the uncertainty surrounding Lewis and his resigning, there is now way we cut Ike and face the possibility of Cortez Allen as our #1 (though he did play well towards the end of the season, particularly forcing turnovers, I would't be comfortable just yet putting him on the AJ Greens and Andre Johnsons of the world, with Curtis Brown and God knows who else behind him).

VaDave
01-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Taylor is going nowhere. Lewis will get a FA offer, and we will try to resign him unless he was offered stupid money. If that happens, say la V.

Cortez is going to be our next Taylor, and is just getting enough playing time to show what he can do. He needs to a little work on run support, but he's got all of the tools.

teegre
01-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Taylor is going nowhere. Lewis will get a FA offer, and we will try to resign him unless he was offered stupid money. If that happens, say la V.

Cortez is going to be our next Taylor, and is just getting enough playing time to show what he can do. He needs to a little work on run support, but he's got all of the tools.

So... in two years, Allen is at one CB spot. Who plays the other spot?

VaDave
01-24-2013, 07:44 AM
Good question. Hopefully, besides Lewis, he's not on the squad. I'd would hate to trot out the following, like Brown, or Victorian uless they actually get good.

maddog78
01-24-2013, 08:52 AM
If it came down to him or Lewis, I take the 26-year old cheaper CB, who may be a better player.

pete74
01-24-2013, 09:14 AM
If it came down to him or Lewis, I take the 26-year old cheaper CB, who may be a better player.

I agree. If given the choice of Lewis or Taylor I'm takin Lewis . Taylor has 2years then he is gone anyway

wootawnee
01-24-2013, 10:31 AM
We need to start picking off passes....Maybe we need a new D-back coach? Just wondering.... Who is our d-back coach anyway?......

harrison'samonster
01-24-2013, 10:33 AM
We need to start picking off passes....Maybe we need a new D-back coach? Just wondering.... Who is our d-back coach anyway?......

Carnell Lake, and he's doing a great job

wootawnee
01-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Carnell Lake, and he's doing a great job

I would let him coach my team as long as he wants..............We just need to become the receiver when that ball is in the air.......It seems like mostly what we do is bat at the balls.....

maddog78
01-24-2013, 11:27 AM
It's not Carnell's fault they don't get INTs. Ask the man who tells his players to "tackle the catch". Last guy I saw jump a route and pick one was Crezdon Butler in a preseason game. Took it to the house.

He was cut the next week.

Burlybulldog
01-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Keep both Carnell Lake and Ike. It's easier to find quality DE's, RBS, and WRS than good cover corners. The interception drops can be frustrating but Ike is a good corner. Many changes coming this year.....Ike should not be a casualty.

austinfrench76
01-24-2013, 12:59 PM
There are alot of irrational articles out there right now about "Steeler Cap Hell and "Steelers Old Defense" and "Steelers are going to cut everyone" and start over!!!!!!!! C'mon. It's the off season and senational journalism is the name of the game. I know hwat Colbert said, every position is up for examination. But what was he supposed to say? Everything was great and we are all set at every position?! There will be changes but not as many as the doom and gloomers are projecting. Just hanging in there until the draft. When something real will happen and be written about not just speculation.

harrison'samonster
01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
There are alot of irrational articles out there right now about "Steeler Cap Hell and "Steelers Old Defense" and "Steelers are going to cut everyone" and start over!!!!!!!! C'mon. It's the off season and senational journalism is the name of the game. I know hwat Colbert said, every position is up for examination. But what was he supposed to say? Everything was great and we are all set at every position?! There will be changes but not as many as the doom and gloomers are projecting. Just hanging in there until the draft. When something real will happen and be written about not just speculation.

Very good post, and very well said.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-24-2013, 02:22 PM

Not being argumentative, but...I hear a lot of love for Cortez Allen, and I am wondering why. I recall him getting a little bit of playing time this year, and both games were embarassing losses-- mostly due to the poor play of the secondary.

teegre
01-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Not being argumentative, but...I hear a lot of love for Cortez Allen, and I am wondering why. I recall him getting a little bit of playing time this year, and both games were embarassing losses-- mostly due to the poor play of the secondary.

The Browns game: he created two turnovers (two FFs). In the Bengals game, he created three turnovers (two INTs and a FF). He did not play in the Cowboys game nor the Chargers game (he was injured). Last year, as a rookie, when Ike went down, Cortez stepped in, against Reggie Wayne, and held Reggie to ZERO catches.

teegre
01-24-2013, 03:20 PM

I agree (which is what I was alludign to in my post).

I'd keep both, but if Ike needs to go... then, he goes. Keep Keenan & Cortez... and watch them become the best starting tandem of CBs in the league.

SteelersCanada
01-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Week 7

AJ Green vs. Taylor - 1 catch / 8 yards / 1 TD

Steelers win.

Week 16

AJ Green vs. Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen - 10 catches / 116 yards / 0 TDs

Steelers lose.

Tell me again how Lewis is better than Taylor is?

sloppyjoe
01-24-2013, 04:12 PM
It's not Carnell's fault they don't get INTs. Ask the man who tells his players to "tackle the catch". Last guy I saw jump a route and pick one was Crezdon Butler in a preseason game. Took it to the house.

He was cut the next week.

why isn't it the coaches fault?

harrison'samonster
01-24-2013, 04:37 PM

because the coach doesn't get the interceptions, the player does. Unless you know the coaches are telling them not to get turnovers.

FrancoLambert
01-24-2013, 04:44 PM
The Browns game: he created two turnovers (two FFs). In the Bengals game, he created three turnovers (two INTs and a FF). He did not play in the Cowboys game nor the Chargers game (he was injured). Last year, as a rookie, when Ike went down, Cortez stepped in, against Reggie Wayne, and held Reggie to ZERO catches.

I think Allen played well this year. He seemed to be around the ball a lot making plays.
He got burnt as well a few times but's he's young and still raw. Played at the Citadel.
I can see him being a starting corner in 2 years.

FrancoLambert
01-24-2013, 04:48 PM

Not trying to be fresh here, but they're not out on the field having the ball thrown to them.
Catching the ball is the responsibility of the player.
Now, if you're questioning the "tackle the catch" mentality, that can be coaching less agressively which would lead to fewer INT's.

teegre
01-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Week 7

AJ Green vs. Taylor - 1 catch / 8 yards / 1 TD

Steelers win.

Week 16

AJ Green vs. Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen - 10 catches / 116 yards / 0 TDs

Steelers lose.

Tell me again how Lewis is better than Taylor is?

Eh... one bad game... like Denver in last year's play-offs.

Also, statistics can be misleading. In the second game, Cortez Allen intercepted a pass and forced two fumbles... and the defense only gave up 6 points... and the Steelers lost.

To clarify: Not saying Ike shoudl be cut, but I'm saying that Keenan has 10 yaers lef tin the tank; whereas, Ike has maybe 2 years left. There is no way that I let Keenan walk away. Otherwise, it's going to be draft a CB, draft another CB, draft another CB... as they have done ever since Deshea left. We have him right here... sign him & let's draft OTHER positions.

harrison'samonster
01-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Eh... one bad game... like Denver in last year's play-offs.

Also, statistics can be misleading. In the second game, Cortez Allen intercepted a pass and forced two fumbles... and the defense only gave up 6 points... and the Steelers lost.

To clarify: Not saying Ike shoudl be cut, but I'm saying that Keenan has 10 yaers lef tin the tank; whereas, Ike has maybe 2 years left. There is no way that I let Keenan walk away. Otherwise, it's going to be draft a CB, draft another CB, draft another CB... as they have done ever since Deshea left. We have him right here... sign him & let's draft OTHER positions.

Ike was covering well in Denver. Tebow was putting those long balls right on the money. I agree though, I don't want to see Lewis go at this point.

teegre
01-24-2013, 07:07 PM
By the way, back to the OP.

Ike will never get cut by this team.

Ike has restructured for them numerous times. More importantly, The Rooneys LOVE Ike. Dan seems Ike as a grandson. When Ike first had his baby, at practice, Dan noticed that Ike was tired. Ike mentioned the newborn,a nd Dan laughed and empathized... and dismissed him from practice, so that Ike could nap on the couch in Dan's office. Dan, meanwhile, worked in the cafeteria.

Again, there is NO WAY that The Rooneys would ever cut Ike Taylor.

harrison'samonster
01-24-2013, 07:09 PM
By the way, back to the OP.

Ike will never get cut by this team.

Ike has restructured for them numerous times. More importantly, The Rooneys LOVE Ike. Dan seems Ike as a grandson. When Ike first had his baby, at practice, Dan noticed that Ike was tired. Ike mentioned the newborn,a nd Dan laughed and empathized... and dismissed him from practice, so that Ike could nap on the couch in Dan's office. Dan, meanwhile, worked in the cafeteria.

Again, there is NO WAY that The Rooneys would ever cut Ike Taylor.

Haha. I remember reading that. I agree, Ike is a big reason we've had so much success over the years, and other than missing the last few games this year has been completely dependable.

bornaSteelersfan
01-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Who would truly want to cut Ike Taylor?! That would be like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Hawaii 5-0
01-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Who would truly want to cut Ike Taylor?!

certainly not Dan Rooney...

http://totalsteelers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Ike-Taylor-and-Dan-Rooney-Swaggin.jpg

harrison'samonster
01-24-2013, 08:01 PM
that picture is fantastic. It reminds me of a big reason for this teams success over the past decade. It was an away game at Miami in 04, the team spent extra time together at the hotel because of bad weather. That team won their next 15 games and after the season they looked back at that week as the time they came together as a team.

These players really enjoyed playing together, and the atmosphere is more like a family.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-24-2013, 08:36 PM
I never did hear the conclusion to the story-- what happened to Crezdon Butler?

A year or two ago (maybe longer-- I am getting old LOL), there was a lot of talk about this kid's potential. I recall him having a big pick in last preseason, and then, suddenly, heard nothing else about him?

Buddha Bus
01-25-2013, 04:10 AM
I never did hear the conclusion to the story-- what happened to Crezdon Butler?

A year or two ago (maybe longer-- I am getting old LOL), there was a lot of talk about this kid's potential. I recall him having a big pick in last preseason, and then, suddenly, heard nothing else about him?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe he relocated to the Land of Misfit Steelers (Arizona). I never heard anything more about him after that. If he's still there, somebody should warn him that the Bumble is coming to coach them next year.

harrison'samonster
01-25-2013, 07:00 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe he relocated to the Land of Misfit Steelers (Arizona). I never heard anything more about him after that. If he's still there, somebody should warn him that the Bumble is coming to coach them next year.

I think he's floated around with several teams. I think he had an ankle injury in Arizona.

Steelers5895
01-25-2013, 08:21 AM
I say trade Ike and get a 3rd if you can and get younger. we did pretty good without him the last few weeks. doubt his presensce would have changed anything.

desertsteel
01-25-2013, 09:15 AM
I say trade Ike and get a 3rd if you can and get younger. we did pretty good without him the last few weeks. doubt his presensce would have changed anything.

Best we'd get is a 6 or 7.

bornaSteelersfan
01-25-2013, 03:14 PM

Are you kidding me?! Trade Ike Taylor?! Our team lost 3 straight games without him! The Chargers and Cowboys ripped our secondary apart! Ike played 135 games in a row and is the most durable player on the entire Steeler's team! Lose him and The Steelers no longer have the best pass defense in the league, but they will be at best, mediocre.

FrancoLambert
01-25-2013, 05:46 PM
No chance. Are we better with Ike at CB? No doubt. Why would the Steelers cut him?
There's more money to be saved by releasing others on the defense.