PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Rooney, Call the Jets owner, he wants to trade Revis

wootawnee
01-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Corner upgrade.....Revis is 28.... One year on his contract.....Play good on your new knee, get a killer new contract.......Send them a back....They need one.....Maybe a reciever, they need one of those too......

pete74
01-24-2013, 08:30 AM
We can't afford Lewis so there's no way we could afford Revis. He is the best but you can'twin spending that much money on one corner. Revis only has a year left on his contract then will want a huge contract

VaDave
01-24-2013, 08:42 AM
At least a $6mill cap hit. No Chance.

steelfury02
01-24-2013, 08:50 AM
offer him 4 to play on a better team - only way it would work

EbonySteel86
01-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Would love to have a guy like Revis to try and hang with Batlimore fire power. Flacco and company don't look like there gonna get worst any time soon.

Steelerindc
01-24-2013, 09:00 AM
if you trim the fat such as Casey Hampton, Larry Foote, and a couple of others we already know we're going to cut and offer them a back and future picks I think it can be done.

To pay Lewis anywhere near 7 mill would be retarded and I think giving him 4mil would be generous. At least with Revis you know what your getting, the best damn CB in the business.

You also can negotiate with them about him coming off of near surgery and shit like that. Say stuff like can he still do it the way he did it before? Negotiating tactics.

Millers the sh!t
01-24-2013, 09:20 AM
What about Cortez Allen? What's wrong with him ? Him and Taylor should be fine

desertsteel
01-24-2013, 09:25 AM
If you're GM, would you cut JH and Troy and let Lewis go in order to sign Revis? If we did those things we could sign him to an extension. Would we be better? Is there a chance that Revis has lost something with the knee injury? If you're the GM and had the chance, what would you do?

I'm hesitant to let Troy go. I think he rehabs and trains differently this offseason and comes back strong for 3 more years.

Millers the sh!t
01-24-2013, 09:27 AM
if you trim the fat such as Casey Hampton, Larry Foote, and a couple of others we already know we're going to cut and offer them a back and future picks I think it can be done.

To pay Lewis anywhere near 7 mill would be retarded and I think giving him 4mil would be generous. At least with Revis you know what your getting, the best damn CB in the business.

You also can negotiate with them about him coming off of near surgery and shit like that. Say stuff like can he still do it the way he did it before? Negotiating tactics.

Trimming all that fat off will still leave us above the cap.. even if we cut Ben troy and #92... Wed still be above.... We are in trouble for the next few years.

Steelerindc
01-24-2013, 09:32 AM
JH has shown that he can't stay healthy for a whole year and for that matter so has Woodley, now I'm not saying get rid of Woodley but he needs to stay healthy. The team should get him a personal chef to watch his diet.

But this team has some real hard decisions to make before and after the draft. Revis is worth the effort. I like Lewis and Allen but Revis is proven in this league and I would rather pay him a ton of money than pay someone I THINK can get the job done.

Remember McFadden?

Troy also has to stay healthy but I've seen a decline in his game as well and I'm wondering how Labeau is going to use him going forward.

maddog78
01-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Corner upgrade.....Revis is 28.... One year on his contract.....Play good on your new knee, get a killer new contract.......Send them a back....They need one.....Maybe a reciever, they need one of those too......

Baron Batch is our only back under contract and we're $10M over the cap with less than a full roster under contract. CB is also perhaps our strongest position on the team.

Other than that, great idea.

desertsteel
01-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Trimming all that fat off will still leave us above the cap.. even if we cut Ben troy and #92... Wed still be above.... We are in trouble for the next few years.

The capologists will figure it out. That;s what they get paid to do. I'm not concerned at all about the cap. This stuff comes up just about every offseason. Something to talk about...

Rotorhead
01-24-2013, 10:37 AM
While it would be nice, i think there are alot of other teams who can afford to pay him top dollar. Now, if he wants a ring maybe he will take a good offer instead if a great offer and we may have the slightest chance to get him. There are just too many teams way under the cap unfortunately.

harrison'samonster
01-24-2013, 10:40 AM
from everything I've been reading, Revis wants to be paid like a franchise QB. Plus he's coming off an ACL tear.

TRH
01-24-2013, 10:52 AM
We can't afford Lewis so there's no way we could afford Revis. He is the best but you can'twin spending that much money on one corner. Revis only has a year left on his contract then will want a huge contract

This.

Again, people............
We need to be cutting SERIOUS money - not spending. If we traded for or signed someone like that, we'd have to give up at least half, if not more, of our current defense.
Not even likely on another planet, let alone this one.

JackH
01-24-2013, 10:54 AM
The Steelers need another contract problem like they need another Limus Sweed.

Forget about other team's free agents unless they are real cheap. Sign those of your own you can and draft as best you can. That has mostly been the Steelers strategy in the past and it will likely continue.

Has that strategy worked? Only the Giants have as many Super Bowl wins in the past 7 years and the Steelers have been to one more.

Yeah, 8-8 and not making the playoffs sucks, but stuff happens. The Steelers could be right back in the mix next season without any major changes. Had it not been for blowing the second game against the Bengals, we would have been in the playoffs. Had Ben not gotten hurt in the Chiefs game, we likely would have beaten the Ravens at home the next game. A win in that game would have put the Steelers and not the Ravens in the playoffs. So who is in the Super Bowl then?

SteelersCanada
01-24-2013, 10:59 AM

This isn't true. If Timmons, Woodley and Ben all restructure, we're under the cap and we don't even need to cut any of them. However, we'd be floating around the cap and couldn't test free agency and would essentially have the same roster as last year.

We're not in these dire straits concerning our cap that everyone is making us out to be.

wootawnee
01-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Local Boy.....He might change his tune to be back home in his dream Uni....

High school career

High school accolades include the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review 2003 Player of the Year, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 2003 WPIAL Class AA Player of the Year, and 2003 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette “Fabulous 22”.

In the PIAA Class AA State Championship football game, he led Aliquippa to a come-from-behind 32–27 win over Northern Lehigh by scoring 5 touchdowns including 3 rushing touchdowns, a punt return, and the return of a blocked Northern Lehigh field goal attempt. He also completed a 39 yard pass, had a reception, and an interception in the game.[7]

In his junior and senior years of high school he led Aliquippa to WPIAL basketball championships, leading the team in scoring both years, culminating with a 25.2 PPG average his senior season. He also had the most interceptions out of any cornerback for high school.

wootawnee
01-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Rex Ryan reportedly wants to keep Darrelle Revis

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:42 a.m.
Updated: Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:01 a.m.

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan has often called Darrelle Revis the best defensive player in the NFL. It should be no surprise that Ryan reportedly wants to keep him.

My old boss, Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk, reports that Ryan doesn't want to trade Revis. The cornerback is coming off ACL surgery and only has one year left on his contract, so Jets owner Woody Johnson has made it clear he wants to explore all options with Revis.

To recap: The owner wants to possibly trade the team's best player. The coach wants to keep him. The general manager, who was just hired, is caught in the middle. The coach and general manager don't know each other.

On top of all that, Johnson wasn't exactly effusive in his praise to Ryan to prospective general managers in interviews. Former Broncos executive Ted Sundquist interviewed with the Jets and said that Johnson's wildly supportive news conference of Ryan was not reflective of Johnson's feelings behind closed doors.

"I think Mr. Johnson realizes there are weaknesses and deficiencies there," Sundquist told ESPNNewYork.com. "He was adamant about how the players love Rex, their connection with him. But then he was like, 'That said ... ' -- and he listed X, Y and Z, the things Rex needs to improve upon."

Ryan has two years left on his contract. Revis has one. It wouldn't be a shock if they were both working elsewhere in 2014.

The Gm is caught in the middle.......

MACH1
01-24-2013, 11:17 AM
It'd be nice but it's not gonna happen.

wootawnee
01-24-2013, 11:19 AM
If I am not dreaming, I am not living..... :noidea:

LVSteelersfan
01-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Just another head case who had a major injury that may take a full year to recover from. Don't need him.

TRH
01-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Just another head case who had a major injury that may take a full year to recover from. Don't need him.

yeah, lol - that too. Just what we need. Either another injury-prone player or one who's coming off a major one.

SteelersCanada
01-24-2013, 11:32 AM
For arguments sake, let's say we do trade for him and he gets a lucrative 5 year / 55 million dollar deal. So, now he's a member of the Steelers but his huge cap hit is going to dig us deeper into an already bad situation to be in. What do we do?

First things first, say goodbye to Harrison, Keisel, Hampton, Foote, Will Allen, Ryan Mundy, Sylvester and, as much as it hurts to say, Troy.

That clears a ton of cap space up. Now, I can already hear what you're going to say 'But SteelersCanada, what about the lack of depth!' which is fair, but it comes with an easy solution: draft well.

Say our draft looks like this ... (bold designates stater)

R1. Dion Jordan
R2. Tony Jefferson
R3. David Amerson
R4. Nico Johnson
R5. Knile Davis
R6. Ray Graham
R7. John Sullen

Depth at FS and SS, with starters at ILB, OLB and RB. Depth is also provided at OG and RB behind Knile Davis should anything happen. Now, what's more important is the fact that they're coming cheap and this would ultimately let us trade for Revis.

It's not impossible, we just have to get rid of our older guys and let younger guys play for us to acquire him.

teegre
01-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Revis has held out twice. No thanks.

He's coming off of knee surgery. No thanks.

And, he is supposed to get (or wants) $16 million. No thanks.

Sign Lewis. Play Allen. And, when Ike retires, that aforementioned tandem will be very good for a decade.

Plus, with the money saved by not having Revis, the Steelers could sign both Lewis & Allen... and even have enough left over to extend Worilds (if they so desire).

LVSteelersfan
01-24-2013, 11:41 AM
For arguments sake, let's say we do trade for him and he gets a lucrative 5 year / 55 million dollar deal. So, now he's a member of the Steelers but his huge cap hit is going to dig us deeper into an already bad situation to be in. What do we do?

First things first, say goodbye to Harrison, Keisel, Hampton, Foote, Will Allen, Ryan Mundy, Sylvester and, as much as it hurts to say, Troy.

That clears a ton of cap space up. Now, I can already hear what you're going to say 'But SteelersCanada, what about the lack of depth!' which is fair, but it comes with an easy solution: draft well.

There won't be any lack of depth. Revis, the best player ever to walk on the planet, will make up for the lack of depth by intercepting every pass thrown by the other team. Problem solved.

SteelersCanada
01-24-2013, 11:47 AM
There won't be any lack of depth. Revis, the best player ever to walk on the planet, will make up for the lack of depth by intercepting every pass thrown by the other team. Problem solved.

I get it, I do. But he's easily the best CB in the NFL in maybe the last decade. If you look at what the Jets secondary is built off of, it's completely and utterly built on the idea that Revis is going to be put on an island with their best WR and often times, Revis wins that battle.

Now, if you line up someone like Taylor or Lewis opposite him, you have the best 1 - 2 CB tandem in the NFL. This would ultimately allow us to start one, maybe two, rookie Safeties and have them get chemistry and develop together.

Acquiring Revis would let us play younger guys in our secondary - something that we desperately need. Throw Nico Johnson inside with Timmons and have Jordan play opposite Woodley, and you're looking at the best defense in football. The most important part, we're under the cap.

Revis has held out twice. No thanks.

He's coming off of knee surgery. No thanks.

And, he is supposed to get (or wants) $16 million. No thanks.

Sign Lewis. Play Allen. And, when Ike retires, that aforementioned tandem will be very good for a decade.

Plus, with the money saved by not having Revis, the Steelers could sign both Lewis & Allen... and even have enough left over to extend Worilds (if they so desire).

Peterson came off knee surgery, too. Peterson is the best RB in the NFL and Revis is the best CB in the NFL - I don't think it's going to affect him like everyone thinks it is.

I don't think he's going to get 16 million anywhere he goes. He might get 12 million, but I think it's more accurate to say he'll get around 11 - 11.5, or back to his most recent deal he signed with the Jets. 5 year / 55 million is fair for Revis and it's not much more than what we were willing to give Wallace last year.

I like the tandem of Allen and Lewis, but I like the tandem of Revis and Allen more.

Also, we're very keen on keeping Troy around on these boards, but his cap hit is 10 million. We could sign Revis and have his cap hit be around 7 - 8 million for a more productive, younger and all around better player. Our sense of loyalty to these guys is mind-boggling.

wootawnee
01-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Thats what I love about the off-season......Keeping an open mind and talking to all these free agents and finding out if their are any sparks leading to further talks, working out the roster for next season.....Agents on the phones, calculating scenarios ...figuring,figuring and more figuring......... I love it.....

wwhickok
01-24-2013, 01:16 PM
James Harrison, Hampton, and Foote, among others are likely gone. If it were me, Id gladly give up Lewis to FA and a 1st to get Revis. Id have a hard time passing him by twice. Next season I foresee Clark and Polamalu and Keisel retiring. That should get us in realstic cap range. But additionally Woodley needs to take a pay cut.

I know people talk about how good Colbert and Khan are...but I have to question their financial expertise.

But in reality Revis comes with major risk and we do NOT need more risk. Me trading for him would be based on an idea of greatness not the reality of it.

austinfrench76
01-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Can't afford him AND he has been holding out off and on for the past couple of seasons. Complaining about his contract. How far soes that get you with the Steelers? Ask Alan Faneca and Mike Wallace.

Rotorhead
01-24-2013, 05:29 PM
I would trade a first for him, getting a sure talent is much better than drafting a possible bust IMHO

Kingmagyar
01-24-2013, 06:11 PM
If your shopping and you see a bone in NY Strip Steak for 6.99 a pound and a boneless Strip Steak for 9.99 a pound which do you take?

Keenan Lewis for 7-8 million a year or Revis for 9-10 million a year?

Posters are right about the cap in a few years. No Troy, Ryan Clark, James Harrison, Casey Hampton, Ike Taylor. The possibilities of not resigning Hood or trading or releasing Woodley if he has another bad year or someone shows more behind him leaves money to spend. This team is getting younger which equals more cap space. If we don't get Revis this year we can at least shoot for it when he is a UFA.

One thing for sure a trade would have to include a new long term contract and we would have to give up a #1 pick.

fer522
01-24-2013, 07:03 PM
i would wait a year and see how good his knee is before i would trade for him

harrison'samonster
01-24-2013, 07:12 PM
i would wait a year and see how good his knee is before i would trade for him

I think that's what the Jets might end up doing, they want to prove he's still as good so that they can get as much out of him as possible. Chances seem likely that he will still be with the Jets this coming year.

teegre
01-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Peterson came off knee surgery, too. Peterson is the best RB in the NFL and Revis is the best CB in the NFL - I don't think it's going to affect him like everyone thinks it is.

I don't think he's going to get 16 million anywhere he goes. He might get 12 million, but I think it's more accurate to say he'll get around 11 - 11.5, or back to his most recent deal he signed with the Jets. 5 year / 55 million is fair for Revis and it's not much more than what we were willing to give Wallace last year.

I like the tandem of Allen and Lewis, but I like the tandem of Revis and Allen more.

Also, we're very keen on keeping Troy around on these boards, but his cap hit is 10 million. We could sign Revis and have his cap hit be around 7 - 8 million for a more productive, younger and all around better player. Our sense of loyalty to these guys is mind-boggling.

I get what you are saying. Revis is a rare type of player. Plus, I still daydream about getting him in the 2007 draft. Timmons is good, but he's no Revis. Just imagine that 2008 defense with Revis & Taylor at the corners. Wow!!! In fact, I'd bet that the Steelers would have won one other SuperBowl by simply having such a dominant defense. It would have been sweet.

BUT, I am a fan of Keenan & Cortez.

Let's assume the knee is 100% (and not like Rod Woodson's which forced him to move to safety). Let's just assume. Likewise, let's assume that he actually takes $11 million (and not the reported $16 milliom). Let's assume. Even then, I think that the Steelers could have both of the aforemtnioned young CBs for the same cost as Revis.

Furthermore, as I mentioned in the other thread, Revis has held out twice already... and is threatening to hold out after this season. Ugh. Simply, I do not want the headache. [And, that signifies that the $16 million amount is not just a rumored desire.]

Sorry, man. I see what you're saying, but I am going to have to pass on this. Again, I dreamed of Revis-Taylor as much as anyone else... but, I think Keenan-Cortez is the future.

TRADE
Oh... and you mentioned a player worth trading for, and worth $16 million. Why not trade for AP??? I am serious. Why not? Cut a ton fo people, trade a R1 & R2 pick for him, and this team would dominate.

SteelersCanada
01-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Sorry, man. I see what you're saying, but I am going to have to pass on this. Again, I dreamed of Revis-Taylor as much as anyone else... but, I think Keenan-Cortez is the future.

TRADE
Oh... and you mentioned a player worth trading for, and worth $16 million. Why not trade for AP??? I am serious. Why not? Cut a ton fo people, trade a R1 & R2 pick for him, and this team would dominate.

Oh no doubt, but I don't even think I'd play Revis with Taylor. I think I go Revis and Allen because we don't have the option to resign Lewis if we were to go ahead and grab him. Even then, I'm conflicted. I wouldn't ever cut Taylor, so ya, apparently I'd have to go Revis - Taylor as our CBs.

I think that if we let our Safeties walk and/or retire, don't resign Lewis, let Foote and friends walk then we'd be significantly under the cap. That leaves us room to bring on Revis. I'd only entertain a trade with the Jets if there was already a deal on the table that he was willing to accept for around 5 years.

If AP became available there isn't a player on this team I wouldn't give up for him - let's put it that way.

teegre
01-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Oh no doubt, but I don't even think I'd play Revis with Taylor. I think I go Revis and Allen because we don't have the option to resign Lewis if we were to go ahead and grab him. Even then, I'm conflicted. I wouldn't ever cut Taylor, so ya, apparently I'd have to go Revis - Taylor as our CBs.

I think that if we let our Safeties walk and/or retire, don't resign Lewis, let Foote and friends walk then we'd be significantly under the cap. That leaves us room to bring on Revis. I'd only entertain a trade with the Jets if there was already a deal on the table that he was willing to accept for around 5 years.

If AP became available there isn't a player on this team I wouldn't give up for him - let's put it that way.

The bolded part is the key.

Revis is great... but, I am friedns with a NYJets fan, and he says that the dude is constantly complaining about his contract. In other words, a headache. Even if Revis signed a 5 year, $55 million contract... he might hold out in two years.

I would not trade BB, but you are right: everyone else is gone!!!

In all seriousness, why not try to trade for AP? I know that the Vikings would not even listen to a trade, but he is what The Rooneys want... what this team needs... and if paired with BB, this team would be insane!!!

Man, I wish that the Steelers had traded up in 2007 for either AP or Revis... or, even Willis. That 2007 draft still haunts me.

casteeler
01-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Revis in Black&Gold...... Oh yeah! If people are willing to sign Lewis for 7 million a year then give Revis the MOON:applaudit:

PhantomJB93
01-25-2013, 01:28 AM
The Jets still owe us for the highway robbery of the 5th round pick for Santonio. They should give us Revis for a third and we'll call it even.

lloydwoodson
01-25-2013, 03:30 AM
Man, I wish that the Steelers had traded up in 2007 for either AP or Revis... or, even Willis. That 2007 draft still haunts me.

The Steelers drafted 2 Probowlers in 2007 in Woodley and Timmons. Timmons got robbed by not being sent to the Probowl this year. Sepulveda's injuries were a huge disappointment- he was a great tackler for a punter (at least he shows the Steelers have made an effort on special teams). Matt Spaeth was a decent second tight end as well- and targets don't get much bigger in the red zone. Wasn't he like 6'8?

jb500ex
01-25-2013, 07:40 AM
If your shopping and you see a bone in NY Strip Steak for 6.99 a pound and a boneless Strip Steak for 9.99 a pound which do you take?

Keenan Lewis for 7-8 million a year or Revis for 9-10 million a year?

Posters are right about the cap in a few years. No Troy, Ryan Clark, James Harrison, Casey Hampton, Ike Taylor. The possibilities of not resigning Hood or trading or releasing Woodley if he has another bad year or someone shows more behind him leaves money to spend. This team is getting younger which equals more cap space. If we don't get Revis this year we can at least shoot for it when he is a UFA.

One thing for sure a trade would have to include a new long term contract and we would have to give up a #1 pick.

Apparently you know nothing about Revis. If by some slim chance he signs a contract as low as 10 mill if he has a good year next year you better believe he will hold out for more. That's what he's done since he's been in the league he's a huge asshole and tell me what team has won the Super Bowl in the last ten years with the best cb in the league. It's a huge waste of money that is the easiest position to take out of the game just don't throw to his guy. A pass rusher is so much more valuable and destructive to the opponent. Anyone who signs him for his money is stupid

teegre
01-25-2013, 08:41 AM
The Steelers drafted 2 Probowlers in 2007 in Woodley and Timmons. Timmons got robbed by not being sent to the Probowl this year. Sepulveda's injuries were a huge disappointment- he was a great tackler for a punter (at least he shows the Steelers have made an effort on special teams). Matt Spaeth was a decent second tight end as well- and targets don't get much bigger in the red zone. Wasn't he like 6'8?

Yes... but, they were "this close" to AP, Willis, and/or Revis.

Like I said, I like Timmons, but I love those three players.

Would you not trade Timmons for any of those three?

MeanGee2047
01-25-2013, 04:02 PM
If I was the GM I wouldn't even take a look at Revis...he's too much money and I'm not giving up the farm for one player....in free agency I would look for players that fit in the system and continue trying to get some good players in the draft:tt03:....

DanRooney
01-25-2013, 10:37 PM

Get rid of Taylor. Let Lewis walk. Start Cortez Allen as #2. Problem solved.

jb500ex
01-26-2013, 05:20 AM
Timmons is not a pro bowler that's why he's not there. He's not close to a pro bowler

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-26-2013, 05:28 AM
Timmons is not a pro bowler that's why he's not there. He's not close to a pro bowler

:doh: You serious? he should have made it this year...

harrison'samonster
01-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Timmons didn't get VOTED into the pro-bowl. But to say that he isn't close, well I don't know how you could come to that conclusion.

mikegrimey
01-26-2013, 10:36 AM
All of the peopel pointing out Revis' diva attitude and hold out fever are right, he's not worth the hassle. Besides, chasing big name FAs isn't always the way to make your team better. Philadelphia threw a ton of money at Nnamdi Asomaugh, do you think they're happy with that deal right now? Yea, Revis is better than Asomaugh, but that means he'll require more money than he got, and as others have mentioned, as soon as he has an all-pro year, he'll be holding out and bitching for more money once again.

He's a great CB, but our secondary actually did good enough last year, we need a stronger pass rush in the defense we run. With the salary cap it's hard to have all star players at every level in the NFL. A lot of teams with great CB combinations (Jets, Seahawks) dont' really have any great LBs or pass rushers.

harrison'samonster
01-26-2013, 10:43 AM
we had 10 games this past season keeping the opposing team under 200 yards in passing. 7 in a row, including RGIII, Dalton, Eli Manning, and Flacco (3 playoff QB's and the other a 2x SB winner). WITHOUT a good pass-rush!

I can understand excitement of getting Revis and trying to make the team better, but why spend all your money on a spot that isn't a weak position?

MeanGee2047
01-26-2013, 12:16 PM
The Jets want 1st & 2nd round picks for Revis....they can kiss it...:rofl:

dez09231
01-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Wishful thinking. We'll go in with the same old defense and count on the draft, like every year. Every year it's like "Oh man, ____ is a free agent or being shopped, how can we get him??" We can't. What's the biggest trade we've made in the last decade?? Lefty? McFadden? It's not in the DNA.

VaDave
01-26-2013, 07:15 PM
The Jets want 1st & 2nd round picks for Revis....they can kiss it...:rofl:

When Pigs fly..... or pay their insurance on a plane........

steeltheone
01-27-2013, 12:34 AM
When Pigs fly..... or pay their insurance on a plane........

Revis is probably worth that. 1st and 3rd anyhow.

sluggermatt15
01-27-2013, 09:32 AM
The Steelers could feasibly give up those picks. But the bigger issue I have is finding a way to pay the man.

steeltheone
01-27-2013, 11:08 AM
The Steelers could feasibly give up those picks. But the bigger issue I have is finding a way to pay the man.

Exactly, we can't pay what we have now.

pete74
01-27-2013, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't trade Wallace for Revis let alone trade a 1st and 2nd round pick for him. He is the best corner in the NFLand iI would love to have him but not for 16 million a season. He can only cover one receiver and that means 3-4 others are open. I can't see spending that much money on a position that didn't really a game changer. I would rather have the top rushing line backer who will disrupt the QB the entire game instead of the top corner who takesone rreceiver out of the game

sluggermatt15
01-28-2013, 09:03 AM
I wouldn't trade Wallace for Revis let alone trade a 1st and 2nd round pick for him. He is the best corner in the NFLand iI would love to have him but not for 16 million a season. He can only cover one receiver and that means 3-4 others are open. I can't see spending that much money on a position that didn't really a game changer. I would rather have the top rushing line backer who will disrupt the QB the entire game instead of the top corner who takesone rreceiver out of the game

Well said. I also would not risk all that $ on Revis because I fear he may be the type of player who can cause distress in the locker room. I remember when he complained about wanting a new contract. Revis went public with it, continually crying to the Jets and to the public how he deserved a new big deal. I just feel like if teams did not give in as fast as the Jets did, he would negatively affect the team. So we're going to spend $16 million a year on that? No thanks. I don't believe the Rooneys would have any of that.

teegre
01-28-2013, 09:19 AM
I heard Damien Woodey talking about this.

Contract & hold-outs aside (which is my major concern with him).

Woodey said that Revis is the BEST player he's ever seen... and, as Woodey said, "I played with Tom Brady." Woodey added that Revis's skills are unmatched; he's the best player in the NFL.

But...

Woodey went on to say that while Revis could take one receiver out of the game... ONE receiver... a premier pass-rusher can destroy an entire offense, by taking the QB out of the game (in turn, taking ALL of the receivers out of the game). And thus, if Woodey were going to pay huge money, it'd be for the league's best pass-rusher.

sluggermatt15
01-28-2013, 10:02 AM
I heard Damien Woodey talking about this.

Contract & hold-outs aside (which is my major concern with him).

Woodey said that Revis is the BEST player he's ever seen... and, as Woodey said, "I played with Tom Brady." Woodey added that Revis's skills are unmatched; he's the best player in the NFL.

But...

Woodey went on to say that while Revis could take one receiver out of the game... ONE receiver... a premier pass-rusher can destroy an entire offense, by taking the QB out of the game (in turn, taking ALL of the receivers out of the game). And thus, if Woodey were going to pay huge money, it'd be for the league's best pass-rusher.

Exactly. It's almost as if there are players that abide by the saying, with great reward comes great responsibility. Yet alone Revis would be a great risk as well.

Even for $16 million, a team could probably get 2 decent to above average pass rushers. I don't know off the top of my head what guys like Pierre-Paul, Mario Williams, Justin Tuck, et al. make, but I can't imagine it's $15+ million per season.